BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2015-01-10 7:12 AM
in reply to: juneapple

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--OPEN!

Good morning all. Do any of you use a weight loss/food tracking app? I'm just trying to be better about watching what I eat and how much......not too worried about weight loss. I have been using "Loseit" this week and it seems to be pretty easy. I am just tracking calories by inputting what I eat and calories burned via exercise. Anyone have a favorite app or system they use?

!.5 hour bike interval workout in the garage this morning and a short 20 min run at some point. Then watching some college basketball from the couch in a prone position.

Have agood day everyone 

2015-01-10 7:17 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Sounds like a good day Randy! I hope to get all of my workouts, work done in time to do the same with some football this afternoon!
I use MyFitnessPal for food tracking, it is a pretty good easy app to use.

Dan
2015-01-10 8:23 AM
in reply to: Mountaindan

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
When I track I use Fit Click, I like it cuz you can change % goal for carbs protein etc.

Scott, Thanks for all the info on swimming I also have been told I have tight shoulders so have been working on trying to stretch that. I am a total immersioner too so once I get back in the water I will make one of my focuses on not holding that " glide"

KARL I didn't know what Hemps hearts were had to google those.... Can you only buy those online??? I couldnt seem to find anywhere else to buy them. Sorry to hear you won't be able to do your race, but you'll be better before youo know it!!

As for this weekend Iwe had Couples yoga last night, I have a " nature" walk of 1-2 hours which will most likely be on the treadmill cuz it is still pretty cold here wind chill of -19 this morning & tai Chi today and an easy 30 min run with foam rolling tomorrow....I have bloodwork schedule for Monday and meet with the Dr the following Monday so am hoping I can start upping the routine starting next week.
2015-01-10 8:28 AM
in reply to: luvschips

Regular
Libertyville, IL
Donna,

Great goals for the week!

I have read that drinking enough water and getting consistent regular sleep are crucial elements to health. And often two critical items that are often neglected.

Good luck with your 70.3. I am a newbie and looking for my first sprint tri this summer.
Daniel
2015-01-10 11:12 AM

User image

Subject: RE: Weekend plans
Originally posted by slornow

Hello all. Anyone have big plans for the weekend?

I was traveling on business last week, but still managed to fit in two swims, two runs, and a workout on the stationary cycle at the Hotel fitness center. I did another workout on the indoor trainer after getting home last night, and am doing my long run today. I should end the week (Sun through Sat) with about 6 hours of training evenly split between the three disciplines.

Tomorrow I plan to do my first virtual-power ride on TrainerRoad. The first ride is an hour long with a couple of 8-minute time trials used to estimate Functional Threshold Power (FTP) & Lactate Threshold Heart Rate (LTHR). I'll let you know how that goes.

I'm planning to watch the Seahawks beat the Panthers this afternoon. Go Hawks!

Scott I.
2015-01-10 12:23 PM

Regular
Libertyville, IL
Randy,

I use My Fitness Pal - MFP.
It is a FREE app, tracks calories, nutrition, exercise, is easy to use, you can add friends.

It has been very helpful for me.
Daniel

2015-01-10 12:37 PM
in reply to: Jo63

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Hi Jo,  I eat a fair bit of hemp hearts and we can buy them at our local health food stores.  I would think that any whole foods type store would have them.  They're quite good and I particularly like them on my rolled oats for breakfast but they're pretty versatile.  My wife eats them as a snack.

Edwin - I lived in Toronto for 4 years while in college ('86 to '90).

I road my bike/trainer this morning for 1:40 and I'm pretty wiped out now.  Time for a short nap.  I think I'll postpone my planned run to tomorrow.  I need to focus more on my run.  It is by far my weakest sport and I can really cut a lot of time off any of my events if I can get faster/stronger on the run.  Any recommendations on improving my run?

2015-01-10 2:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Good morning all. Do any of you use a weight loss/food tracking app? I'm just trying to be better about watching what I eat and how much......not too worried about weight loss. I have been using "Loseit" this week and it seems to be pretty easy. I am just tracking calories by inputting what I eat and calories burned via exercise. Anyone have a favorite app or system they use?

!.5 hour bike interval workout in the garage this morning and a short 20 min run at some point. Then watching some college basketball from the couch in a prone position.

Have agood day everyone 

Randy I had success using the food & exercise tracker on Livestrong to track my weigh loss efforts. I found the calorie count part pretty consistent with other sources. The calorie burn varies a lot more. However, when I met my net for the week the weight loss was certainly within an acceptable variance to the mean.

I think they have a mobile app version as well but I did mine all online from my computer.

As for me, I have not weighed myself for several weeks so I jumped on the scale this morning. OUCH! I will post all the gory details tomorrow when the challenge actually starts.

2015-01-10 6:24 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Spencer, New York
In the first 3 years I did triathlon I gained 5 lbs per year. That's because I thought that since I was working out so much more, I could pretty much eat as much as I wanted; and I was HUNGRY, especially after swimming.
When I decided to lose the 15 lbs, I used Sparkpeople.com (there's also an app) to count my calories in & out. It went so well that after losing that 15, I lost 12 more until I was at my high school weight.
I have maintained that weight for more than 2 years. At a couple of points, I gave myself a break from the logging with the understanding that I would weigh in at least weekly and, if my weight went up more than 3 pounds, I would have to resume. I've been within 1 lb of my target for awhile but am logging preventatively, with the holidays and the darkness and all .
What motivates me is not improved health or appearance, it's the increased speed on the bike and the run.
Good luck to all.
Deb
2015-01-10 7:11 PM
in reply to: luvschips

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by luvschips

You mentioned "threshold". So does that mean I swim for 200 yards as fast as I can? I am going to do what you suggest next week and try not to "hesitate" in my stroke. I definetly have that "glide" portion.

Donna

Hi Donna,

No, you don't want to swim 200's in a workout as fast as you can.  Threshold pace is the approximate pace you swim at maximal lactate steady state.  If you go faster than threshold pace, you begin to enter acidosis (the burn we are all familiar with) and you either need to slow down or your body will force you to slow down.  Below threshold pace, you are not swimming as quickly as you are able to.  At threshold pace, you can theoretically swim indefinitely.  You can find a more detailed explanation of swim threshold pace (STP) here, and the procedure to determine STP.

To answer the question before anyone asks it - threshold pace goes by a couple different names.  I prefer swim threshold pace (STP), others use critical swim speed (CSS).  CSS is a biology term that is used to describe swim speed of fish.   When someone says critical swim speed, it is not immediately clear what they are referring to.  CSS may mean swim pace at threshold to you, while it may mean fish speed to me, and to the fisherman that just fell overboard, it may mean the speed he has to swim to stay ahead of the fish with really big teeth.  I prefer a term that is more instructive, so I have adopted STP or swim threshold pace.

2015-01-10 7:16 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Randy,

I use My Fitness Pal.  It is easy to use, I don't think I have ever entered a food that wasn't already in the system, and it syncs with Garmin both ways so you can see your calorie count in Garmin Connect and see your exercise totals in My Fitness Pal (well, except for the past few days as Garmin has had some problems with Garmin Connect - but what else is new?)

2015-01-10 7:43 PM
in reply to: #5075155

User image

Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED
Hoping to jump in, thanks Scott for the invite.

Tammy
Montana
2015-01-10 7:48 PM
in reply to: #5082089

User image

Thinking of my first Half Ironman in June.
Returned from vacation to the flu/cold and then fell in my icy driveway yesterday and twisted my ankle pretty badly.
So, no running, I think the bike trainer is out for a spell, so next best thing is pool.

Triathlon swim novice plan, here I come....

Tammy
2015-01-10 8:05 PM
in reply to: mtsnorider

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by mtsnorider Hoping to jump in, thanks Scott for the invite. Tammy Montana

Hi Tammy,

Glad you made it!  Sorry to hear your sick.

When you get a chance, please post a short bio so everyone can get to know a bit about you.

2015-01-10 9:08 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Hello, looking to join for motivation and accountability…. In addition, to learn something.

NAME: mtsnorider (Tammy)

MARITAL STATUS: Happily married almost 25 years, two daughters 19 and 15. 

STORY:   I am 45 and never ran step or did any physical activity until 37 and only after a health scare and the realization, I had a family history of heart disease and diabetes.  Did my first sprint triathlon on my 39th birthday.  I have done several sprints both pool and OWS and I have done two Olympic distance.  Both were OW swims.   I did three sprint triathlons with my head out of the water because I did not know how to breathe correctly.  I did a triathlon clinic at a local health club two years in a row just to get the personalized swim instruction to learn to breathe appropriately.  This is the reason my girls were members of the local club and HS swim teams.  Since swimming is my biggest down fall, it is my concentration this year.  I enjoy riding my bike, but to be honest I just got clipless pedals two summers ago.  This past summer was the first year I got comfortable riding with bike shoes. I still need to get arrow bars and some gadgets but not nearly as worried about the bike as I am about the shortest portion of the race, the swim.

Our house has been attending half Ironman’s and Ironman’s for the last several years as my husband who never ran a step until I begged him, has now completed two full Ironmans and one half Ironman.

CURRENT TRAINING:   I have been fortunate enough to become friends with a circle of women that are completing triathlons.  We are not competitive with each other but there is a flash of competitive nature during the race.  We train, eat, drink and motivate as well hold each accountable.  Currently, we have one planning a full ironman and the rest are planning the same 70.3 distance in June.  We gather weekly to “pain cave” bike training and will soon gather for trail and road running as the ice disperses.  Our official training does not start until the end of January.  My hubby is also planning for the 70.3 in June.  We all have our own goals for completion.   We just returned from vacation and unfortunately I got the flu/cold and as luck would have it I sprained by ankle in my own driveway yesterday.   I guess the pool will see me much more than my running or bike shoes.  At least for the next several days/weeks.

I have to be honest, I am dedicated and a determined individual, but I do not take these races and training as my sole focus and gospel.  I will do my best but if I cannot train a day or two, or I do not get the full time or mileage, I do not get too upset because to me, these training programs are guides.  I am not fast at any three disciplines so I know I will not be making any AG qualifications.  I do these races solely as my own personal goal and challenge.  I am stretching my comfort zone to complete the 70.3 and just finishing would be amazing.

Past races:   2013 Wunder Women tri – Medical Lake, WA (Oly), 2014 Garden City Triathlon  - Frenchtown, MT (Oly) – this race I thought I was going to have my first ever DNF.  Within about three minutes in the water, I seriously considered quitting.  I finished but it was the longest OLY distance swim EVER; it took me close to an hour.  I swear it was more half distance than OLY.  Spring Meadow Triathlon – Local (sprint), Queen City Triathlon (local) – this race I do each year with my daughters.  I love I can complete a triathlon with my girls on my birthday weekend.  I run 10Ks, half marathons and plan to run Bloomsday in Spokane in May (This was my first ever-running race and is a favorite so I try not to miss it).   I stretched my comfort zone and completed a local 30k trail race 2012.

PLANNED RACES:   Bloomsday 12k, Queen City triathlon, Boise 70.3 and after that… not sure.

Weight loss:  Would love to lose 5-7 pounds, I am guessing when training gets going the toning and firming will begin naturally.  The weight loss challenge sounds very intriguing.

Edited by mtsnorider 2015-01-10 9:17 PM
2015-01-10 10:47 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by mtsnorider

Weight loss:  Would love to lose 5-7 pounds, I am guessing when training gets going the toning and firming will begin naturally.  The weight loss challenge sounds very intriguing.

Tammy,

We are starting the weight loss/workout challenge this coming week.  We are weighing in tomorrow.  Next Sunday afternoon/evening or Monday, we will all post our weight gain/loss and our workout minutes for the week.  Don't need your actual weight, just the gain/loss.

There is room for one more if you would like to join the challenge.

2015-01-11 12:21 AM
in reply to: #5075155

User image

If you are willing to include I would love to join.

Thanks
2015-01-11 12:00 PM

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Randy,

Add me to the list of people using MyFitnessPal (DJP_19 there as well) I've also used Livestrong's MyPlate tracking app. Both seemed to work pretty well for me.

I'm now starting week 5 of a 12 week challenge with my trainer, so our Gray group weight loss & workout challenge is well timed for me.

Hope everyone has a great week.

Dave

2015-01-11 12:19 PM

Weigh In

186 lbs.... hey ill post it

2 hours today on trainer

Tom

AKA matrixband12
2015-01-11 2:06 PM
in reply to: matrixband12

User image

Weigh in: 155 lbs.

Also planning a ride on the trainer - 1 hr.

Scott I.
2015-01-11 2:58 PM
in reply to: EchoLkScott

Re Scott:

Gives me 30 lbs X 5 points = 150 point potential to get down to your weight...hhah

Tom

2015-01-11 7:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: Training Plans

We've all gotten past the holidays and are probably beginning to look ahead to the upcoming season.  During the off-season triathletes often work on their aerobic base and many focus on specific priorities such as strength training, technique improvement, or maybe raising their cycling or run cadence, etc.

In my case, while I am still cycling and swimming, my focus this off-season is my run.  I'm working to increase my cadence and more importantly to increase my distance per stride.  My running coach wants to see more "flight" in my strides and to accomplish that he says I need to increase the strength in my legs, improve my balance, and lose another 50 pounds.  Specific to increasing leg strength I am doing a fair amount of hill work, running a few miles a week in the soft sand at the beach with my coach, and spending a good amount of time in the gym working on legs.  Coach has me doing a number of different balance drills on a daily basis - you ever tried brushing your teeth with your eyes closed standing on one foot with your free hand on your hip?  On the weight front, I continue to do what has been working for the past couple years, yeah I had a LOT of weight to lose - logging everything that goes in my mouth, paying particular attention to quality of food, and balancing intake with caloric needs brought about by my training volume.

I am curious if anyone else has any off-season priorities you'd  like to share and what you're doing to improve?

Edited because I can't spell and I forgot all of my grammar lessons.

Edited by k9car363 2015-01-11 7:53 PM
2015-01-11 7:56 PM
in reply to: #5082141

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Scott
I'm working on my running also, exclusively at this point, but that will change soon. I had a coach create a plan for my upcoming Marathon, it also includes regular strenght training and hitting the hills now, hill repeats and steep hill sprints ugh! Hoping that I drop some pounds realitively soon, I usual do when my run mileage increases, I'll be up to 32 miles for the up coming week. My goal by my September ironman is 205, that's about 32 pounds.

Dan
2015-01-11 7:59 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Expert
Missouri
Subject: RE: Training Plans

Originally posted by k9car363

We've all gotten past the holidays and are probably beginning to look ahead to the upcoming season.  During the off-season triathletes often work on their aerobic base and many focus on specific priorities such as strength training, technique improvement, or maybe raising their cycling or run cadence, etc.

In my case, while I am still cycling and swimming, my focus this off-season is my run.  I'm working to increase my cadence and more importantly to increase my distance per stride.  My running coach wants to see more "flight" in my strides and to accomplish that he says I need to increase the strength in my legs, improve my balance, and lose another 50 pounds.  Specific to increasing leg strength I am doing a fair amount of hill work, running a few miles a week on the beach with my coach in the soft sand, and spending a good amount of time in the gym working on legs.  Coach has me doing a number of different balance drills on a daily basis - you ever tried brushing your teeth with your eyes closed standing on one foot with your free hand on your hip?  On the weight front, I continue to do what has been working for the past couple years, yeah I had a LOT of weight to lose - logging everything that goes in my mouth, paying particular attention to quality of food, and balancing intake with caloric needs brought about by my training volume.

I am curious if anyone has any off-season priorities that they would like to share and what you are doing to improve?

I've been focusing mostly on my running because of my HM in May but also trying to make sure I spend more quality time on the bike.  I used to just get on and ride for 30-40 minutes a couple times a week without any real kind of plan.  This time I downloaded the winter cycling program (the one here on BT) and am using that to try to get in better workouts - and I'm using my HRM for most of my rides, something I never did before.  After starting that I realized that most of my rides before were really just too easy.  I find that it also makes the time go by faster if I'm focusing on what the workout is and not just how much time I have left. 

I joined a tri club this year and they do swim clinics on Sunday mornings during the winter.  I went to the one today - the woman giving the clinic is a local tri coach (and a member of the tri club).  She talked for about 1/2 hour about some of the aspects of OWS, mainly deep water vs. beach entry, dolphin dives, and buoy turns - some stuff I knew, some I didn't.  Then we got in the pool and practiced some of those things.  I don't do a lot of OWS races but I figure if I want to move up in distances, it's stuff I'll need to know.  Not too many Olympic distance or HIM races have pool swims.

Janet

2015-01-11 9:05 PM
in reply to: matrixband12

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Weigh in: 198.7 (too many holiday snacks my wife makes)

With this challenge I can hopefully keep my head in the game and get down to where I need to be.

Good luck everyone.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 52

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open