Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2007-05-31 12:29 PM
in reply to: #823664

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Rich Miller's Group - Increasing Bike Speed
Actually, I think there are a couple things you can do to increase your speed.

1) Ride and ride often. The more time in the saddle will help you devlop your leg muscles necessary for your cycling portion of the race.

2) Gradual increase speed drills. (Find a loop route, like around a big stadium or around a big park. Is there a place where cyclist and/or walkers congregate and circle around? The ROSE BOWL as an example has a 3 mile loop that runs the exterior of the stadium.) The first lap is a warm-up. Good time to make sure your bike is running correctly, that you review the road conditions. In our group we typically do the first lap between 14 mph and 16 mph. As an example, our first lap last night was at 15 mph (westside)/21 mph (east side). Each of the following laps we increased the speed by 2 mph.

3) Speed drills: Want a course that has relatively low traffic is fairly flat or has rollers. Warm-up for 20 minutes. After your warm-up, start increasing your speed until you are at about 40% or 50% of your effort. Now you are ready for sprint drills or speed drills. For about 30 seconds, go out as hard as you can. Rest 4 to 5 minutes. Repeat 8 times.

Let me know how this helps your progress.

Rich

2007-05-31 12:39 PM
in reply to: #801361

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Rich Miller's Group - Exercise combined with Good Nutrition
Hey Caru!

"So I weighed myself yesterday and I am 2 pound less than the normal 5 pound range and my body fat went down by 1.5%, which makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE."

You seem to be doing the right things to get the results. Good Nutrition plus exercise is creating a calorie deficit resulting in loss of weight and decreased body fat% while at the same time building more lean body muscle.

You are probably gaining lean body muscle which is heavier than fat, but loosing fat at a much higher rate. Remember lean body muscle is heavier.

You will see an increase in lean body muscle
Decrease in body fat%
Potential decrease in overall weight (1 lb per week is a good rate of weight loss.)

Questions?

Rich

2007-05-31 12:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Miami
Subject: RE: Rich Miller's Group - FULL
thank you Rich!
Q- My hips and lower back and other muscles from my legs were aching this morning. The position on the bike is very comfortable but definately different, i feel like i'm using completely different muscles while on the bike as opposed to spinning. Is this normal? Do you know what the difference is?
are you sure about coffe? I don't care about starbucks, but what about myyyy coffee. 2 % milk+cofee(organic )
2007-05-31 1:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Rich Miller's Group - Coffee Sabotaging Weight Loss
Howdy Caru:

I cut and pasted five reasons how coffee sabotages weight loss. Check out # 4!

Is coffee drinking sabotaging your weight loss efforts? By drinking coffee or other caffeinated beverages throughout the day, you may be causing yourself to eat more often, and consume more calories than you really need. Here are the top 5 reasons why kicking the caffeine habit will help you make great strides towards your weight loss goals.

1. Coffee Triggers Food Cravings
Caffeine and other ingredients found in coffee, including decaffeinated coffee, have been shown to increase stress. Caffeine elevates the stress hormone, cortisol. This stress hormone creates an emergency “fight or flight” reaction in the body including increased heart rate, blood pressure, and a sense of “emergency alert”. This alerts the body to increase its energy stores which results in food cravings specifically for sweets. Limiting caffeine can help control food cravings throughout the day.

2. Caffeine Stimulates Appetite
Caffeine can trigger a condition called hypoglycemia, or low blood sugar with symptoms including dizziness and light-headedness. The body’s reaction to hypoglycemia results in food cravings and increased appetite. People often crave higher calorie foods resulting in increased caloric intake, further interfering with the body’s ability to maintain a healthy weight. The more caffeine you drink, the more you may feel that urge to eat. By limiting your caffeine intake, you can help take better control of your appetite.

3. Caffeine Increases Stress
Coffee and caffeine intake aggravate stress including physical, mental, and emotional stress. Additionally, caffeine has been found to interfere with our “feel good” brain messenger called GABA (Gamma-aminobutyric acid). This brain messenger plays an important role in mood and stress management. A lack of GABA can trigger stress or emotional eating, which leads to weight gain. How often have you grabbed a pint of ice cream or bag of cookies when feeling bad? Quitting caffeine can help you get a handle on emotional eating by reducing stress hormones and allowing GABA to do its job of making us feel better.

4. Stress Hormones Increase Body Fat
Studies show that prolonged elevated cortisol levels increase the deposit of fat in the deep belly area. Abdominal fat is associated with increased health risks like cardiovascular disease and diabetes. Decreasing caffeine along with regular exercise are great steps you can take towards a firmer belly and healthier body.

5. Caffeine Increases Insulin Resistance
Research shows that caffeine contributes to insulin resistance, a condition that reduces the body’s ability to use insulin effectively. When our bodies’ become resistant to insulin, glucose and insulin build up in the blood, endangering our health and increasing our risk of developing Type II Diabetes. Drinking coffee can also cause insomnia and sleep deprivation, both of which have been found to increase insulin resistance. Kicking the caffeine habit can help to lower your risk of insulin resistance and help you to manage your weight more effectively.
2007-05-31 1:49 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas
Dang, all my vices in life are bad for me...coffee, beer, wine, fatty foods.  I guess all I have left too release stress is sex...I mean exercise! 
2007-05-31 1:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
LOL, Angela!

You wrote: "Dang, all my vices in life are bad for me...coffee, beer, wine, fatty foods. I guess all I have left too release stress is sex...I mean exercise!"

PLEASE warm me next time before you post a funny! I fell off my chair laughing here at the office. People were wondering what I was laughing about. Doooohh!

Rich!

2007-05-31 2:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Thank you, Rich, for all of the great information on nutrition -- even though we don't want to hear some of it (read: coffee info).

I will keep a very accurate journal (even while on vacation towards the end of next week) and will cut down on Diet Coke. I do drink plenty of water.

I have never done any biking drills and will try some of the ones you mentioned.

Geez, I'm going to need to start a binder for all of this information!

Read some of the running articles you posted -- also very helpful. Now I know why people quit their jobs and become trainers -- because it's nearly impossible to find time to do all of the cool training things you could be doing!

Have a great afternoon everyone! Going out for a 20 mile, hilly loop after work with a friend. It is, however, in the 90s and very humid today. Don't worry, Rich, I'm taking PLENTY of water.

Thinking about biking (4 miles) to the YMCA tomorrow morning (since it's so hot lately by PM), swim, then bike back home, change into my running shoes and do a quick 1.3 mile loop. Sound fun??? What are you guys planning tonight / Friday?
2007-05-31 2:45 PM

Apologies for intruding but just have to say this is one of the best threads I've read in a long time - just read it from start to finish.

Very impressed with all of you -good luck with you various triathlon endeavours!

2007-05-31 3:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Miami
Hannans:
THanks! we owe it all to our dearest coach, the coaches of coaches ,a true inspiration RIIICHHH the all mighty cyclingmaniac-and-no-caffeeine man!!!!! YEAH!

Rich, Seriously, gosh I guess i owe my fat and stress to coffee??! maaaaan, I'm gonna have to approach my organic coffee and have the dreadestt breaking up conversation...... ever.

ang, no kidding about exercise in all its forms- techinically not a vice, just a healthy obsession! ha

Ok some of you guys are working way hardcore, seriously making me feel bad for not working out more, so Cris, I am going to go out for a spin in my bike( hopefully wont fall) and then Im hitting the pool after running at least a 5k- Friday- Spin class in morning- then bike/run
Saturday- I start my tri program at 630 in the mornin... a bit scared, but have all the power to go at it. I will keep you guys posted on what they say, although honestly there is no better prof than Rich, even if I cant even form a mental picture of him.
2007-05-31 3:32 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago

Work gets super crazy for a day and I'm missing all the great posts about weight loss and adorable neices and sex, er...I mean stress relievers.

And if anyone is looking to read up on Chi Running, I have the book I can loan out for a little bit. It's a really interesting read...if he ever comes back to Chicago I'd probably sign up for his class, too.

Last night, 12 loads of laundry foiled our plans for a bike ride. Secretly, I was somewhat relieved. But when it comes down to missing a workout, or showing up to work naked because there are no clean clothes left in the house...something has to be done. In retrospect, I probably should've done pilates or some type of core workout at home. And I know I need to get my rear back on the bike. Perhaps tomorrow evening if it's not raining. I need to shake this lazy funk and make amends with the beast (aka, my bike).

Tonight the plan was to hit the lake for an OWS with fellow BTer mr2Tony, but it looks like mother nature is going to interfere. If we get rained out, hopefully we can at least drag ourselves to the pool for a few hundred yards later tonight.

Over the next week I have to divert my attention to running and helping a friend move into town. The Great Midwest Relay is next week and as team captain I've been trying to get all our ducks in a row. Has anyone ever done a relay before that could share some insight and advice? We're a 12 person team running 190 miles from Madison to Milwaukee to Chicago next Friday/Saturday. Should be a fun time.   But I think that moving my friend into her new apartment will constitute as cross training. Lots of heavy boxes are headed our way.

Okay...here's a silly wet suit question. Are wet suits a single-gender fitting, or are there mens and womens wet suits? DH has a wet suit that we both think I could fit into well, but we're not sure if there are suits designed for specifically for women. It'd be great not to have to buy a second one, especially since we try to do different tri's (with the exception of Harbor Lights, where he'll use his and I'll just use my suit). Thoughts?

2007-05-31 3:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
We just get to see his naked legs running in that photo! :-0

2007-05-31 3:45 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

I took a weight training class this morning that I love!  I promised my kids we'd go to the science museum today after school.  I'm hoping to go for a quick spin on my bike if the rain holds off.  Friday is my easy day...I take a yoga/pilates class for my core and maybe swim in the evening.  Saturday is my next big day...bike/run brick...20miles/4miles.  Then Sunday is my OWS practice.  I'm also going to experiment with different nutrition on Sat. 

So that's my plan in a nutshell...maybe a little stress release in there somewhere!

Thanks for all the biking tips.  That's my next big challenge to conquer and improve on...I agree with the binder thing...lots of good information!  Keep it coming. 

2007-05-31 3:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Hey Barb, you do what you gotta do! Like, I have to shift my focus to holding down the beach in Mexico next week...

What I know about wetsuits -- they do make men and women's. You many fit just fine in a men's or non-gender specific wetsuit. Or if you are curvy (read: Athena) like me, you may prefer the fit of a women's specific wetsuit. Can't hurt to try it and save yourself some money.

I bought a used full womens wetsuit from someone on BT ($120) and love it. Definately swim with it several times before your race.

Caru -- Sounds like a great workout plan -- hope you can fit it all in and enjoy yourself Saturday (6:30 -- whew! That's early to be AT the practice!) Keep us posted. I will check here Saturday night in case you post.
2007-05-31 4:49 PM
in reply to: #824534

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Excellent plans Christine on taking plenty of water. In the heat, you may consider sports drinks instead to replace salt and electrolytes lost due to sweating... Just a thought!

Your plan tomorrow sounds good. It is employing different muscles which is a good variety.

Rich

Plans for Saturday ...... Wife told me weeks ago that I couldn't ride on Saturday, June 2, 2007. We are going wine tasting with my Best Man and his wife...... too bad I'm allergic to alcohol....BUMMER! I'm the DD! :p

Long Ride Sunday......
2007-05-31 4:53 PM
in reply to: #824561

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Caru:

Enjoy your Tri Program on Saturday! Definitely debrief what you learned. I'm sure the group could pick up a lot of helpful hints from your experience.

OK, I'll try to help you out and post a "bigger picture" for you so that you don't have to mentally strain in forming an image in your mind..... hmmmmm, but let me ponder this one....if I do post a picture, I might destroy any positive image that you might have formed....hmmmmm...... oh what the heck, I work on a photo for you! LOL!

Rich
2007-05-31 5:05 PM
in reply to: #824614

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Barb!

I love your posts!!! You have some GREAT items ...... because you do participate in the blog, it adds value in addressing what you need and what others might need.....so a BIG Thanks!!!!

Chi Running: It is worth the read and if you ever have a chance to attend a workshop, go for it! I happened to have met Danny and have heard him speak. One of my tri club team mates is a Chi Running Master and runs with Danny frequently. It is very cool to see Danny's running stride and technique.

That darn laundry foiled you from being attacked by the beast? Oooooooohhh Barb..... Is that the name of your bike? If you call it a beast, it will act like a beast. Bond and become one with your bike (sounds very Zen like doesn't it!) Teeeheee! Seriously, you just need time with your bike to become comfortable with it.

Now for this open water swim (OWS) and it raining out your plans...... Come on Now! You're going to be in water... You can't get any wetter can you? (Now if it is thunder and lightening which I know it can in your neck of the woods, then I might give you a little slack!) :-p

The Great Midwest Relay looks like a lot of fun....I don't have any experience with this type of relay, but here are some things that I might do as a captain:

* Get a set of walk-talkies.... The captain (i.e. you) keeps one throughout and the other is used in a baton fashion....each runner hands it off to the next runner. This way you can communicate with the runner and yourself from a distance...
* Know the terrain of the course......match the runners with the terrain
* Have a strategy.... how often will runners be exchanged ..... dropped and picked-up? (i.e. how long will each runner's segment be?
* Fuel....what fuel/nutrition will you have available...are there special needs for any of the runners?

I'll address wetsuits in a separate post, but it isn't a dumb question or a silly question either.

Rich

2007-05-31 5:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Rich Miller's Group - Triathlon Wetsuits
Excellent question, Barb....it wasn't silly at all! So your first question was:

Are wet suits a single-gender fitting, or are there mens and womens wet suits?
Traithlon wetsuits come gender specific. Several manufacturers of wetsuits include: Quintana Roo, Blue-Seventy, 2XU, Zoot, Orca, and Xterra just to name a few.

The following link provides a discussion of why wearing a wetsuit helps and some guidelines in purchasing a wetsuit (Page 2).

http://swimming.about.com/od/triathlon/a/buy_a_wetsuit.htm

RECOMMENDATION: Try as many suits on as possible.....do comparision shopping and find the suit that best fits and works for you. I personally tried on about 15 wetsuits.... talk about a workout .....yikes.....take a bottle of water.... you really work up a sweat getting in and out of the wetsuits.

Speaking of getting in and out of the wetsuits, I found this pdf file which shows how to get a wetsuit on! This might be very helpful!

http://www.blueseventy.com/owners/fitting.pdf

So, Barb .... if DH's wetsuit fits right, that is GREAT, but........ if it doesn't fit, it may cause more problems than it is worth. Men's wetsuits are narrower in the hips versus women's wetsuits and some allowances are made for the chest.

What does Rich have? I have an Xterra Vector Pro 2 wetsuit.....when I purchased the wetsuit, the salesman said these are "Gumbie" suits. They tug and pull with little effort and are great in not restricting the breathing....it is a top-notch wet suit. It actually fit the best and I didn't feel restricted in the breathing. This wetsuit works great.

RECOMMENDATION: Cut a couple of inches off the end of the legs. This will make a bigger opening so you can get your feet out of the wetsuit faster and with less struggle.

Soooo what questions might you have?

Rich

2007-05-31 6:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

OK....here's a question for you, Rich. How in the heck do you do a running start to get onto your bike, and what's the fastest way to unclip and dismount?  I've seen folks do it in races, but I have no idea how to accomplish this little feat without ending up in a heap at the mount/dismount line.

By the way, I am...ummm..."coordination-challenged". I once fell over in my driveway after a ride because I couldn't get my left foot unclipped in time - signals got crossed somewhere between my brain and my left leg....landed on my left hip in a puddle (I don't think my neighbors saw me).  I am constantly finding little bruises on my arms and legs and I have NO IDEA where they came from! Guess I'm so used to running into things that I don't even notice it anymore.  All that to say that any recommendations on a safe way to practice this little maneuver would be greatly appreciated!

2007-05-31 7:01 PM
in reply to: #824798

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Rich Miller's Group - Mounting Bike
Hey Kat:

Excellent Question! You asked: "OK....here's a question for you, Rich. How in the heck do you do a running start to get onto your bike, and what's the fastest way to unclip and dismount? I've seen folks do it in races, but I have no idea how to accomplish this little feat without ending up in a heap at the mount/dismount line."

Well, Kat.... to be honest with you..... I avoid the run, jump and "cry out in agony" approach to mounting a bike. I run my bike to the mount line, stop, throw my leg over the bike, and clip in like I normally do when I ride..... it is faster because I am not causing injury to myself, avoiding falling over and being unable to get up. Save the what looks like "cool moves" for those that think they are going to save tons of time by mounting this way. I'd opt for safety first.

For me, the safest and fastest way to unclip and dismount is the way that I normally do when I'm out riding. I slow down, clip out and stop the bike.... then I swing my leg over the bike/seat. After dismounting, I then run my bike to the rack.

OK.....it isn't flashy, but it gets me to and from the bike rack safely and without injury to the personal parts of the body ..... (OK was that politically correct?) With this non-flashy approach, I can still get a decent transition time of 1 minute 49 seconds in a huge transition area like Wildflower.

If you want a fast transition, PRACTICE the T1 and T2 transitions several times. This can be a fun way to actually incorporate the kids (that can read a watch) into helping you. They can be your timekeeper while you practice your T2 transition. It becomes a game for them.

Again, EXCELLENT question KAT

2007-05-31 9:00 PM

User image

Houston
Wow busy typing day!!!
I guess all of your bosses are vacationing together hahaha.

I will try the speed drills on my bike Saturday or Sunday. I just need to find more open rode to get after!!

Coffee is a staple in my morning I can't believe it is so bad. I knew it had caffine in it but I don't feel that it makes me hungry or aggressive or whatever that article was saying ( I got rid of Pop thinking this was enough) I dont know if I can give that up!! mabye I can drink smaller cups. When I get up in the morning icoffee falls in the routine just like my toothbrush!!

That sounds like an addiction...............

OH NO!!!!

2007-05-31 11:21 PM
in reply to: #824932

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Rich Miller's Group - FEATURED ARTICLES
Hey Derek:

I have to admit that coffee is one of my weaknesses/addictions. I actually decreased caffiene by replacing 1/4th of my cup of cofffee with decaf; then 1/2; the 3/4 and then a full cup of decaf. ( I, at one point of my life had a 10 cup a day habit! Can you say "Wired"!?!?!?!!!!)

Check out the featured articles! The first one that caught my eye was "Progressive, Gradual and Quatifiable - The Training Process". It is a good read and does address another aspect of increasing / improving performance:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...

The second article which (again) caught my eye was "The importance of Low Intensity Training". I used low intensity training during my winter training months. It helps build a cardio machine. My heart rate doesn't spike or climb as high or as fast.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...

Both are definitely some time to read and absorb!

Off for a late evening run!

Rich

2007-06-01 12:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Well....let's see if this works! I'm posting a pic of me at race weight. I have about 10lbs to loose to get back there before Vineman. And I have shaved off the goatee!

Rich

Edited by Cyclingmaniac 2007-06-01 12:10 AM
2007-06-01 12:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Here is a face pic showing my wonderful baldness!

Edited by Cyclingmaniac 2007-06-01 12:19 AM

(Face Photo 2.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Face Photo 2.JPG (4KB - 50 downloads)
2007-06-01 7:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Subject: The best made plans
Last night my coworker was stuck in a meeting. Then she was checking with me to see if the heat or the off-and-on thunderstorms were going to stop me from riding. In the end, we did ride 20 miles -- I feel like it was a victory, to ride even though we partly didn't want to. The humidity really sends my heart rate skyrocketing. AHR 164 for 1 hr 40 min (quite a hilly ride).

Rich, I did take HEED which is a more high-tech version of gatorade and it worked just fine.

THE PROBLEM WAS, I got home and my husband had ordered a pizza. There it sat on the counter. I'm hungry and exhausted. Can't get in the shower because of the lightning storms...So I did eat 1 1/2 slices.

I checked my calorie intake and calories burned this morning, and I was still at @ 1,148 calorie deficit for yesterday.

This morning I swam. The weather is not cooperating with my plans -- something many of you can sympathise with lately -- so I didn't bike to the swim.

Today I have a group lunch and tonight we are hanging out at a friends house who used to be a chef. Both of these situations are minefields of food choices. What do I do to keep from making bad choices when I know everyone around me will indulge? (I'm the one usually trying to help my husband make better choices and get to the gym more than twice a month -- WHOLE 'nother problem ;-)

I don't want to turn into a nag so I have stopped trying to steer others decisions. How do I keep from giving up in frustration (ah, well if there just going to let themselves go, why shouldn't I?) and eating something I know I shouldn't?
2007-06-01 7:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Nice photo, Rich! You're smart AND cute!!! :-)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Rich Miller's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 46