BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Saling4's Group - Closed for now. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2008-02-13 11:43 AM
in reply to: #1116595

Subject: RE: Saling4's Group - Closed for now.

OK, here is a question for you...

Since I'll be doing a tri outside of my country of residence I'm going to need to fly my bike... BUT (and here is a big one) airlines charge you somewhat 60 to 75 usd one way, so that sums up being like 150 bucks just for transportation.

I've come with the idea of renting a bike (almost same model, maybe even better) on site for the days that I'll be at the race. For all the seasoned triathletes that can advice me on, what do you think about it?

2008-02-13 7:43 PM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV
Gofor it,  I would rent a bike myself.  They will fit it to you and could be a better bike.  The only drawback is that you may not get a chance to ride it and feel out the weird stuff.  You might want to call ahead and see if you can use your saddle as I believe THAT would be the biggest problem.
2008-02-13 9:50 PM

User image

Veteran
I agree if you can use your saddle that is a great help..

I went on a bike ride tour 20-60 miles a day for 6 days and was able to use my clipless and saddle.

So It felt like a good ride the whole week.

2008-02-13 11:47 PM

GREAT!!! Thanx a lot for the input. One thing less to worry about... check.

Keep on training... no matter what.

2008-02-15 7:07 AM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV

"If you run 100 miles a week, you can eat anything you want-Why? Because (a)you'll burn all the calories you consume, (b) you deserve it, and you'll be injured soon and back on a restricted diet anyway."

Don Kardong
2008-02-15 7:55 AM

User image

I live in Colombia (South America) and weather is nice all year round. But, nevertheless, my wife and my little son (6) had bronchitis last week. I did not get it, thank goodness! Probably the measured training and drinking a lot of real fruit juices (not canned) helped. I am trying to stick to the plan (3 times each sport). So far so good.

2008-02-16 7:21 AM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV
Good job Triht.  I have been working on my truck so I have not been so good at sticking with my plan.
2008-02-17 10:45 PM

User image

Oh no... I talked to fast. I DID get a cold. It will probably affect my training this week...

Oh well... please accept me to the triathletes-to-be-recovering-from-a-cold club.

Helmuth
2008-02-18 6:25 AM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV
Your in Helmuth.  Better late then never i guess...
2008-02-19 7:26 AM

User image

Colorado Springs
Woohooo!
I'm recovered!!!!

Wow, last week was ROUGH. I didn't realize how bad I felt until I felt good yesterday, ya know? Each day I thought, well, I feel a bunch better than yesterday so I must be better - then I'd get nothing done in a day and crash at about 8:30 or 9. And I'm usually up 'til midnight. Really, I did nothing that wasn't required for the health and safety of my family last week! My workout log for last week is accurate I did put on running shoes a couple of times, though, and on Monday I showed a friend around the gym and was sooooo thankful she didn't want to work out. We just drank coffee instead while the kids were in KidWatch, picking up another round of germs for us! Yay! The litttle one woke up with a 102 fever in the middle of the night, and the big one woke up coughing at 6 yelling for Kleenex. I sent her back to bed.

Get well everyone. Taking a week off to recover isn't a terrible thing. Just don't stretch it into 2 weeks. (she tells herself...thinking of all the things she has to do to catch up from last week....hmmmm)

Hoping to run outside for the first time in a while today - it's supposed to be 50 degrees, and not snowing. I might wear shorts & sunscreen!

-Helen
2008-02-19 3:26 PM

User image

New user

I caught another bug! Third one this season! Boy am I mad now! Enough is enough! I think the air is too dry where I live and work (indoors, that is, with the heat systems). I was even getting nosebleeds! (hopefully those are done now that I got a humidifier). And I caught this last one I think when I went salsa dancing. It was really warm inside so someone opened the window (to 10-20 degrees F winds outside) and somehow, I kept getting dance partners that went back close to the wide open window. I wasn't warm after that!!
It should be on it's way out now though and I've had my week off (again) from training

Back at 'er - on Thursday or Friday I think.

I'm also teaching my first Uni-level course - first lecture this week - so not sure I'll get a workout in before Thursday's class.

But after that - back to work! And no more bugs and viruses!!!!!!

2008-02-19 3:40 PM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV

My excuse at this time is my truck that I am trying to get back together, but I did get in an 8 mile run on Sunday.  Glad most are feeling like there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

What the heck is a Uni-level class? 

2008-02-20 7:20 PM

OK, this must be General Hospital group!

I've been looking at several tri training programs for novices-beginners to sprint... and they all seem so different! Beside the three sports included in all weeks, they differ in time and lenght...

Examples: For the SheRox triathlon you can have on week 2 a ride of 24 kms (14 miles) and the IronGirl gets you on a 20 minute ride, and the beginner triathlete perhaps for half an hour... why do they differ so much?

Good luck to everyone on their trainings

K

2008-02-21 7:38 AM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV
Well Goforitall,  I can only think it is because different trainers believe in different ways.  Some are time based and some distanced based,  Some are designed to get you to the finish line and others are trying to make you competitive.  Then there are plans where you put in how many hours a day and how many days of the week you want to train and it figures the best way to split it up.
2008-02-21 8:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
Sorry that so many of us have been under the weather lately (or otherwise indisposed, Saling). I'm finally feeling better (maybe about 80%), so hopefully everyone else is on the mend. If I can make it through my schedule this week and next, I think things will be a bit better.

Tuesday morning, my husband woke me up going through his dresser. I asked him what he was doing, and he told be "Getting ready for work" (like, what do you think I'm doing?). I said, "Why are you getting ready for work, isn't it the weekend?" (I was just sleeping so good). He says to me "NO, it's ONLY TUESDAY!!". I think that about sums it up!! I can't begin to tell you how disappointed I was!

2008-02-21 5:18 PM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV
With any luck the weather will get better along with everyone's health and we will be back in business.

2008-02-24 5:45 PM

User image

New user

I'm getting back to wellness too!
Sorry, by uni-level class, I meant University level course. I'm teaching introduction to macroeconomics and since I am not a professor with a PhD, but rather I work in the field, it's a lot of work. I have to get re-acquainted with some of the concepts as I don't use all of them day-to-day. But a little hard work remembering all the stuff I learned when I took those courses is good for me.

I got biking, running and swimming in today. I'm not very good at swimming at all, but I have my membership now and can go regularly and I like the pool.

I'm now going to dig out the training schedule I found on this website when I first joined and really stick to it since I can't make excuses about not having a pool to go to! (One of the advantages of teaching this course is getting the faculty rate on membership to the university athletic facilities - an Olympic-sized pool! Yipeee!)

Luff, I hope to make up for your rude awakening in the week, you got one of those Saturdays where you wake up early and say "oh my gosh, what time is it? Am I going to be late???" and instead you realize, no, it's Saturday and you can settle back down!!
2008-02-26 7:36 PM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV

"I think there's only one sensible place for a person to be at 5:30 in the morning. That's in bed. And what am I doing? I'm out running. And I completely hate this."

Derek Clayton, Australian marathoner, first to break 2:09
2008-03-08 7:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
How is everyone doing? It looks like it's been a really quiet week for most. Maybe we need to have a roll call? I'm so glad the days are starting to get longer and happy to be losing an hour sleep tonight to gain another hour of daylight. It was so nice to be able to get a ride i outside today. My 9 year old rode with me the first 20 minutes on his brother's old Diamondback BMX bike. He NEVER stopped pedaling the whole time and I was coasting most of the time. I told my husband, we've got to get him a different bike if he is going to want to ride with us! I just started one of the new 12 week sprint plans (HR based) and so far, so good this week for me. Hope life is treating everyone well! Spring is just around the corner (although a little farther for some than others!).
2008-03-08 8:43 PM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV
I love the new weather and time.  I need to get back on my bike since all I have been doing is running.  I did hit a milestone for me today and ran a little over 10 miles.  Tomorrow I will be real old and hit 52.  My wonderful wife got me a new truck and a red Timex Marathon watch.  The watch is way cool since it matches my red running shoes.
2008-03-09 8:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Hope it was a good one. Sounds like it was. Guess this means you can get back to all the remodeling projects!! Just remember, you're only as old as you feel. And congrats on the long run. Maybe one of these days ... but very doubtful for me.

2008-03-10 7:01 AM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV
Thanks Luff.  Yeppers on the projects.  Started back on the tiling yesterday.
2008-03-10 7:03 AM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV

"Workouts are like brushing my teeth; I don't think about them, I just do them. The decision has already been made."

PattiSue Plumer, two-time U.S. Olympian
2008-03-11 7:25 AM

User image

Colorado Springs
Good morning!
Er, long time no train. Dangit. I hope everyone is doing well.

Warning, self-indulgent whining:
Here, I'm getting sick & tired of nursing what I'm pretty sure is a stress fracture from the marathon & then a skiing crash. It has all the symptoms of one - I should go to the doc but I know the drill. Stay off of it! When I test it a bit and walk a couple of miles - it hurts worse that night. It's frustrating because, sure, I could run through the pain because it's minor when I'm walking or running in shoes with good support, and sometimes doesn't hurt at all - it's later that day that it's tear inducing. I've had dreams of going to the hospital for it. ANYTHING that flexes or puts weight on my forefoot is likely to cause pain later that day (walking, squats, lots of city driving with the clutch)- only a tad while I'm doing it. Anyway, I'm going to just go to the doc soon at least so he can tell me that, yes, I'm almost healed, or that whatever pain I'm feeling isn't a re-injury, it's just pain. Ya know? This is one of those things that I fear that if I keep going on it will never get better....GRRRR.

On the plus side, and why I can't swim for 3 weeks, is I had LASIK done Friday! Woohooo! 20/400 to 20/20! WOohooo! It is still fluctuating a tiny bit and I do have halos on headlights, but I had halos anyway w/glasses or contacts. It is very exciting!

Another plus - we are out of Girl Scout Thin Mints. Whew. Finally. It took me so many days to eat all of those. I have no idea why I didn't gain 10 lbs.

Hope everyone is having a good week. If anyone has experience with a stress fracture (under 2 smallest toes on left foot, mine) - how long did it take to heal? How did you know when you were good to go?
2008-03-11 10:55 AM
in reply to: #1264798

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
Helen, sorry to hear about your foot. If it's a stress fracture, I'd think you'd do better to put it in a boot and lay low for awhile. Maybe just work on some swimming after you recover from your Lasik surgery (which is very exciting!).

I'll have to admit, I thought our Thin Mints were gone until I looked in the freezer and found a stash last night. Couldn't resist eating a couple myself. Darn those Girl Scouts! I wonder how many New Year's resolutions they are responsible for breaking!!

Hoping for a quick recovery for you!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Saling4's Group - Closed for now. Rss Feed  

of 11