BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 115

2013-02-02 10:26 AM
in reply to: #3257002

User image

Regular
NW Houston
Subject: RE: Gary's Mentor Group - Closed for Training
Yippee! I've just finished my last ride for the week.  Based on my training program my target was 8.1 in 30 minutes.  Finished 8.14 in 33:19.  Next week is a recovery week.  I am excited b/c I went back and reviewed my last rides (I use the Runkeeper app) and notice a pattern.  I'm starting off with decent times (for me) on the first few miles, taper off in the middle and start back towards early times near the end.  What I am liking is that my earlier miles are getting stronger as I continue to ride.  In a nutshell when I first started, my 1st-2nd mile might be sub 4m but now I am doing sub 4m on miles 1-4.  Yippee!  Tomorrow is a recovery day (no run, no bike, just Superbowl) and then next week is a "recovery" week for bike.

Edited by sspicer 2013-02-02 10:27 AM

2013-02-02 10:28 AM
in reply to: #4605550

User image

Master
St. Louis
sspicer - 2013-02-02 10:26 AM

Yippee! I've just finished my last ride for the week.  Based on my training program my target was 8.1 in 30 minutes.  Finished 8.14 in 33:19.  Next week is a recovery week.  I am excited b/c I went back and reviewed my last rides (I use the Runkeeper app) and notice a pattern.  I'm starting off with decent times (for me) on the first few miles, taper off in the middle and start back towards early times near the end.  What I am liking is that my earlier miles are getting stronger as I continue to ride.  In a nutshell when I first started, my 1st-2nd mile might be sub 4m but now I am doing sub 4m on miles 1-4.  Yippee!  Tomorrow is a recovery day (no run, no bike, just Superbowl) and then next week is a "recovery" week for bike.

Awesome!
2013-02-02 10:35 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

sspicer - 2013-02-02 10:26 AM Yippee! I've just finished my last ride for the week.  Based on my training program my target was 8.1 in 30 minutes.  Finished 8.14 in 33:19.  Next week is a recovery week.  I am excited b/c I went back and reviewed my last rides (I use the Runkeeper app) and notice a pattern.  I'm starting off with decent times (for me) on the first few miles, taper off in the middle and start back towards early times near the end.  What I am liking is that my earlier miles are getting stronger as I continue to ride.  In a nutshell when I first started, my 1st-2nd mile might be sub 4m but now I am doing sub 4m on miles 1-4.  Yippee!  Tomorrow is a recovery day (no run, no bike, just Superbowl) and then next week is a "recovery" week for bike.

Fantastic!  Nice Job!

Mike - thanks, I don't plan on posting much from the iPad but will change the setting if I do.

2013-02-02 6:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

sspicer - 2013-02-02 11:26 AM Yippee! I've just finished my last ride for the week.  Based on my training program my target was 8.1 in 30 minutes.  Finished 8.14 in 33:19.  Next week is a recovery week.  I am excited b/c I went back and reviewed my last rides (I use the Runkeeper app) and notice a pattern.  I'm starting off with decent times (for me) on the first few miles, taper off in the middle and start back towards early times near the end.  What I am liking is that my earlier miles are getting stronger as I continue to ride.  In a nutshell when I first started, my 1st-2nd mile might be sub 4m but now I am doing sub 4m on miles 1-4.  Yippee!  Tomorrow is a recovery day (no run, no bike, just Superbowl) and then next week is a "recovery" week for bike.

Nice job ... way to grow - I mean GO

2013-02-03 7:58 AM
in reply to: #4605924

User image

Statesville , North Carolina
Hey all, I have a swim question for the fish in the group or anyone who has some ideas. I don't have access to a pool until the weather warms up so my question is: Is there some excersises that I can be doing that will help with the swim while it is cold? I am not a member of the YMCA or a gym so it would have to be something that I could do here at home.
Any help on this would be helpfull. I am a fairly strong swimmer but have never swam as far as I will have to for my first race.
2013-02-03 8:44 AM
in reply to: #4606236

User image

Master
St. Louis
Brett's - 2013-02-03 7:58 AM

Hey all, I have a swim question for the fish in the group or anyone who has some ideas. I don't have access to a pool until the weather warms up so my question is: Is there some excersises that I can be doing that will help with the swim while it is cold? I am not a member of the YMCA or a gym so it would have to be something that I could do here at home.
Any help on this would be helpfull. I am a fairly strong swimmer but have never swam as far as I will have to for my first race.

I'm definitely not one of the fish, but I would think about what upper body muscles get tired when you swim, and work on those. For me, my triceps get tired. Any core work you do will help in the pool too.

2013-02-03 10:20 AM
in reply to: #4606263

User image

Expert
Missouri

ransick - 2013-02-03 8:44 AM
Brett's - 2013-02-03 7:58 AM Hey all, I have a swim question for the fish in the group or anyone who has some ideas. I don't have access to a pool until the weather warms up so my question is: Is there some excersises that I can be doing that will help with the swim while it is cold? I am not a member of the YMCA or a gym so it would have to be something that I could do here at home. Any help on this would be helpfull. I am a fairly strong swimmer but have never swam as far as I will have to for my first race.
I'm definitely not one of the fish, but I would think about what upper body muscles get tired when you swim, and work on those. For me, my triceps get tired. Any core work you do will help in the pool too.

Definitely not a fish here either but I have to agree about the core work.  I always seem to end up with a sore lower back.  I'm sure part of that is form, but part of it is probably the fact that I have a very weak core. 

Speaking of poor swim form (mineSmile) - I think I'm going to go by the gym and see about lessons.  I've checked out the options and it looks like I could go one of 2 ways - either adult group swim lessons (max of 8 people) which would be twice a week for 7 weeks, or 3-30 minute private lessons. The private lessons are a little more $$ but I'm not sure the adult group lessons would be a right fit.  If it's mostly beginners there, that's not really what I need.  I'll have to talk to someone there - find out who teaches the lessons and which would be better for me for what I want to accomplish.   

2013-02-03 12:46 PM
in reply to: #4606236

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

Brett's - 2013-02-03 7:58 AM Hey all, I have a swim question for the fish in the group or anyone who has some ideas. I don't have access to a pool until the weather warms up so my question is: Is there some excersises that I can be doing that will help with the swim while it is cold? I am not a member of the YMCA or a gym so it would have to be something that I could do here at home. Any help on this would be helpfull. I am a fairly strong swimmer but have never swam as far as I will have to for my first race.

In the last month or two there was an article about using larger, exercise bands to build your swim strength.  It was either from USAT or from Swim Smooth.  I will look for the article.

2013-02-03 12:47 PM
in reply to: #4606331

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
soccermom15 - 2013-02-03 10:20 AM

Speaking of poor swim form (mineSmile) - I think I'm going to go by the gym and see about lessons.  I've checked out the options and it looks like I could go one of 2 ways - either adult group swim lessons (max of 8 people) which would be twice a week for 7 weeks, or 3-30 minute private lessons. The private lessons are a little more $$ but I'm not sure the adult group lessons would be a right fit.  If it's mostly beginners there, that's not really what I need.  I'll have to talk to someone there - find out who teaches the lessons and which would be better for me for what I want to accomplish.   

I went with the private lessons and I am glad I did.  More money but having the coach watch every lap and critique was great.

2013-02-03 3:17 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

All, just received this in an email from TriSwimCoach (I get their email newsletter).  Thought it was useful.

The key to a powerfulpull is a shallow catch and a high elbow (think an 80-90 degree bend in your elbow). However, when you

switch to this style of stroke, you put more strain on your shoulder than you once were when you had an inefficient deep catch

and straight arm pull.

Add in paddles, which are great for building power but do add additional shoulder-stress, and your shoulders will feel beat by

the end of good workout. The soreness can even develop into tendonitis if not treated properly. But what is the proper treatment?

1. Ice: The first thing to do is to treating it old school with some ice therapy. If your shoulder feels tight and sore after a
swim, put a bag of ice NOT on top of the shoulder itself but slight lower around top of the bicep and tricep and on the bottom of the rotator cuff. Icing the tendons and muscle fibers slightly below the shoulder decreases the inflamed areas that are causing the soreness in the shoulder.

2. Warm Up: Make sure you warm up the tendons in your shoulder with resistance band exercises before you get in the pool. Anchor a band at waist height to a door and hold a band in your hand while facing in line with the band. Keep your elbow bent at 90 degrees and pinned to your side. Now pull the band away from the anchor while keeping your elbow tight at your side. Do this for 30 seconds.

3. No paddles: As I mentioned above, paddles help build power, but they do add stress to your stroke. If you are experiencing problems, downgrade to a smaller paddle or ditch them altogether.

4. Lay off the weights: Many of you supplement pool workouts with dry land exercises in the weight room. Until your shoulder is good to go, back off on any of the exercises that put strain on your shoulders.

5. Pill popping is not the answer: I would not reach for the ibuprofen bottle unless it gets really bad because NSAIDs only mask

the problem and can actually prevent muscles growth. Try fish oil capsules to help keep inflammation down.

Edited by GaryRM 2013-02-03 3:32 PM
2013-02-03 5:48 PM
in reply to: #4606331

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

soccermom15 - 2013-02-03 11:20 AM Speaking of poor swim form (mineSmile) - I think I'm going to go by the gym and see about lessons.  I've checked out the options and it looks like I could go one of 2 ways - either adult group swim lessons (max of 8 people) which would be twice a week for 7 weeks, or 3-30 minute private lessons. The private lessons are a little more $$ but I'm not sure the adult group lessons would be a right fit.  If it's mostly beginners there, that's not really what I need.  I'll have to talk to someone there - find out who teaches the lessons and which would be better for me for what I want to accomplish.   

Janet, I've had instructors at the gym watch me for a lap or two; give immediate feedback and it produced immediate results.  I plan to do some private lessons the closer I get to my first race this year and feel it's worth the cost.  My 'master's class' swimming a couple of years ago was best for beginners.  If you're looking to advance, I think you're on the right track to consider private lessons.

2013-02-03 6:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

I finally got the road bike working on the rollers yesterday morning.  I must say - WOW - it was like learning to ride all over again.  I'd done some looking on youtube and saw how twitchy these are and made sure to set it up where I could grab onto something solid in a pinch.  It took me fully 15 minutes to get comfortable with letting go.

I was better this morning, but these are really squirrely.  Putting the work-strength training aside, the rollers definitely help cycling technique. These help your balance, have a smooth pedal stroke, overall ride position, etc. 

2013-02-03 10:29 PM
in reply to: #4606846

User image

Master
St. Louis
Dorm57 - 2013-02-03 6:29 PM

I finally got the road bike working on the rollers yesterday morning.  I must say - WOW - it was like learning to ride all over again.  I'd done some looking on youtube and saw how twitchy these are and made sure to set it up where I could grab onto something solid in a pinch.  It took me fully 15 minutes to get comfortable with letting go.

I was better this morning, but these are really squirrely.  Putting the work-strength training aside, the rollers definitely help cycling technique. These help your balance, have a smooth pedal stroke, overall ride position, etc. 

Nice! I've heard rollers are tough and take concentration.
2013-02-04 11:22 AM
in reply to: #4606476

User image

Expert
Missouri
GaryRM - 2013-02-03 12:47 PM
soccermom15 - 2013-02-03 10:20 AM

I went with the private lessons and I am glad I did.  More money but having the coach watch every lap and critique was great.

This is exactly what I was thinking.  Even though it's only 3 sessions (although I could always add more if needed), the fact that the coach would be watching only me appeals to me more than being one of a crowd. 

2013-02-04 8:55 PM
in reply to: #4606263

User image

Thanks for the advice guys and gal. I am going to try to convince my wife to join the YMCA this spring and couple the pool there with some swims at the lake this summer. In the mean time I think I will try to get my hands on some weights and some resistance bands to help tone up my shoulders.

I managed to get out yesterday and get a nice 14 mile ride in followed by a 6 mile run. This was the largest brick I have been able to do so far. I felt great afterwards but a little sore today. Today was an off day and running starts back tomorrow. Race day is less than 2weeks away and after yesterday I am stoked about it. It really helped my confidence.
2013-02-06 7:47 AM

User image

Regular
NW Houston
So this guy is just under 3 months away from his first Tri and frankly, I feel great with the progress of the training.  Bike question today:  It was suggested (and makes sense) that I emphasize my bike so that I have fresh legs when it's time to run.  My problem on the bike does not seem to be the distance and or effort so much as sitting on the bike.  When I get off my bike, my legs hurt on the inner, upper thigh area. I ride a mountain bike and it has a gel cover as well as my riding shorts are padded. As far as the muscles doing the work, they feel fine and "fresh".  Any thoughts/suggestions on a bike seat or other fix?

2013-02-06 8:32 AM
in reply to: #4610720

User image

Veteran
Sparta

sspicer - 2013-02-06 8:47 AM So this guy is just under 3 months away from his first Tri and frankly, I feel great with the progress of the training.  Bike question today:  It was suggested (and makes sense) that I emphasize my bike so that I have fresh legs when it's time to run.  My problem on the bike does not seem to be the distance and or effort so much as sitting on the bike.  When I get off my bike, my legs hurt on the inner, upper thigh area. I ride a mountain bike and it has a gel cover as well as my riding shorts are padded. As far as the muscles doing the work, they feel fine and "fresh".  Any thoughts/suggestions on a bike seat or other fix?

Just read an article this morning from Active Triathlete that may lead you to a fix.

http://www.active.com/cycling/Articles/The-Truth-About-Your-Bike-Saddle.htm?cmp=306&memberid=132285545&lyrisid=38168697&[email protected]

I think it is something I need to look at as well. I didn't realize that we have "sit bones", who would have thought?

dp

2013-02-06 6:57 PM
in reply to: #4610720

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

sspicer - 2013-02-06 7:47 AM So this guy is just under 3 months away from his first Tri and frankly, I feel great with the progress of the training.  Bike question today:  It was suggested (and makes sense) that I emphasize my bike so that I have fresh legs when it's time to run.  My problem on the bike does not seem to be the distance and or effort so much as sitting on the bike.  When I get off my bike, my legs hurt on the inner, upper thigh area. I ride a mountain bike and it has a gel cover as well as my riding shorts are padded. As far as the muscles doing the work, they feel fine and "fresh".  Any thoughts/suggestions on a bike seat or other fix?

Read the article DP posted and would like to add there are three components that I see: Bike fit, saddle, and riding shorts.  When you mean sore, as in chaffing or as in muscle soreness?  Chaffing can be solved with better riding shorts, lubricant (body glide, butt paste, etc) or possibly a new saddle.  Are you encountering numbness? 

One of the last times I took my bike in the mechanic looked at my saddle and said it was time for a new one.  I wasn't sure until he let me try a new version of my saddle.  OMG, what a difference, I will never doubt him again.

For now, read the linked article and answer the question above along with "what riding shorts are you wearing and how old are they? and how old is your saddle?"

2013-02-06 7:24 PM
in reply to: #4611926

User image

Master
St. Louis
GaryRM - 2013-02-06 6:57 PM

sspicer - 2013-02-06 7:47 AM So this guy is just under 3 months away from his first Tri and frankly, I feel great with the progress of the training.  Bike question today:  It was suggested (and makes sense) that I emphasize my bike so that I have fresh legs when it's time to run.  My problem on the bike does not seem to be the distance and or effort so much as sitting on the bike.  When I get off my bike, my legs hurt on the inner, upper thigh area. I ride a mountain bike and it has a gel cover as well as my riding shorts are padded. As far as the muscles doing the work, they feel fine and "fresh".  Any thoughts/suggestions on a bike seat or other fix?

Read the article DP posted and would like to add there are three components that I see: Bike fit, saddle, and riding shorts.  When you mean sore, as in chaffing or as in muscle soreness?  Chaffing can be solved with better riding shorts, lubricant (body glide, butt paste, etc) or possibly a new saddle.  Are you encountering numbness? 

One of the last times I took my bike in the mechanic looked at my saddle and said it was time for a new one.  I wasn't sure until he let me try a new version of my saddle.  OMG, what a difference, I will never doubt him again.

For now, read the linked article and answer the question above along with "what riding shorts are you wearing and how old are they? and how old is your saddle?"

I will add a forth component, time in the saddle. The more time in the saddle you get, the more you train your body to toughen up.
2013-02-06 9:18 PM
in reply to: #4611926

User image

Regular
NW Houston
GaryRM - 2013-02-06 6:57 PM

Read the article; gonna go get fitted on my bike (needs to be serviced anyways); shorts are new purchased at Academy (padded but don't remember the brand); saddle is old (so article is good idea).  

Sore as in muscle sore, not numbness.

2013-02-08 9:24 PM

User image

Regular
NW Houston

Did a mini "brick" today in the gym.  Needed to get my bike in from yesterday and run today so since I had a long day on the road and returned from getting my kids to their mom after dark, decided to give it a go.

My calf muscles hurt!  This is supposed to be a recovery week on my BT training program so had to ride 4.1 in fifteen minutes and run .9 in 9 minutes.  Got on bike and rode the distance at 90/rpm avg and did it in 14:23.  HR was 160 max and I felt comfortable.  Immediately jumped on treadmill and added a 1.0 incline and set speed at 6.3.  Dropped it to 6 at one point and had to stop and then walked briefly at 4.5.  Finished at 6.3 and in 9:09.  HOWEVER, HR was 180 on the run and I hated it! Within 2 minutes I had cooled down to 143 and the only casualty is the sore calf muscles.

My assessment is that I'm pushing it too hard on the run but good pacing on the bike.  Thoughts?

I will be borrowing a HR monitor from a friend in this next week.  Again, race isn't until May 4 albeit my first and I have just under 3 months to get ready.

2013-02-09 7:49 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

Hey all!
Work has kept me running ragged with up late every night and then in early for non stop fun.  I kept repeating the mantra "enjoy the challenge".  Made it and vacation starts tomorrow with us heading off to Vero beach, FL.  First February vacation for us (my family isn't skiers although I wish they were, I haven't snow skied in years) and should be fun.  Been fighting with my quadricep tendonitis which means lots of stretching and its working. 

Gearing up to get on the trainer, its in the high 40's outside and no motivation to ride in that. 

Won't have a lot of internet access while on vacation so may not be back on until Friday.  Everyone be good and train hard!

2013-02-09 9:07 AM

User image

Spicer- I have a similar problem, after any ride over 4 miles on the bike the back of my knees are sore. I thought maybe I had my seat to high and I was over extending my legs at the bottom of my pedal stroke. So I lowered my seat and rode again. I sitll have the soreness after long rides so I am begining to think it is just that I have to build up my muscles.
2013-02-09 11:11 AM
in reply to: #4615340

User image

Master
St. Louis
sspicer - 2013-02-08 9:24 PM

Did a mini "brick" today in the gym.  Needed to get my bike in from yesterday and run today so since I had a long day on the road and returned from getting my kids to their mom after dark, decided to give it a go.

My calf muscles hurt!  This is supposed to be a recovery week on my BT training program so had to ride 4.1 in fifteen minutes and run .9 in 9 minutes.  Got on bike and rode the distance at 90/rpm avg and did it in 14:23.  HR was 160 max and I felt comfortable.  Immediately jumped on treadmill and added a 1.0 incline and set speed at 6.3.  Dropped it to 6 at one point and had to stop and then walked briefly at 4.5.  Finished at 6.3 and in 9:09.  HOWEVER, HR was 180 on the run and I hated it! Within 2 minutes I had cooled down to 143 and the only casualty is the sore calf muscles.

My assessment is that I'm pushing it too hard on the run but good pacing on the bike.  Thoughts?

I will be borrowing a HR monitor from a friend in this next week.  Again, race isn't until May 4 albeit my first and I have just under 3 months to get ready.

The first 5-10 minutes off the bike ride my hr spikes too. I can usually get it to settle down after that. HAving a HR monitor will help. Nothing wrong with doing the planned workout at a slower pace. Nothing wrong with doing a mile at a high HR either. The most important thing is that you got out there and did it. Good work!
2013-02-10 9:11 AM
in reply to: #4615669

User image

Well I got 12 mile run in yesterday. So far it is my longest run to date. Finished in 1:54. I may do a short run on Tuesday and then will take 4 days off before my race on Sunday. I am hoping to be able to finish the half Mary in less than 2 hrs. Average time yesterday was 9:46 per mile. Hoping I can get that a little closer to 9 flat on race day. I do believe that I am going to have to go to the LRS after the race to get some new shoes after the race. Mine have close to 210 miles on them. I did get on the scales late last night and I am down to 197. That is right at 30 lbs lost since the end of September. Yippee!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training Rss Feed  

of 115