2012-01-31 11:22 PM
in reply to: #4013151

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Subject: RE: Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group
popsracer - 2012-01-26 5:38 PM
PrivateIdaho - 2012-01-26 3:11 PM

I'm also doing my first 70.3 this year... Ironman Lake Stevens.  I've got this plan loaded into a calendar on Active Trainer, but won't actually be starting it for four more weeks.  Getting anxious to get going, but don't want to do too much too soon and burn out.

It seems to me like this plan is a little swim-heavy.  It has waaaay more swimming than the Oly plan I used last summer,  yet the race is only 472 yards further.  I may occasionally drop a swim workout for a run or bike.  I'm more worried about making it up the hills than I am getting through the swim.

See and for me the light running and slow build up worked perfectly.  I am way slow and really needed to spend the time to build a stronger base for those four weeks.  I really can see a difference in my run; the plan is challenging yet doable for a semi newbie such as myself. 

Funny how things go!

There are definitely some things in the plan that you have to look at in context to your own situation.  I would agree that some of the workouts do not make sense to me.  In the the four week prep phase there is no running Friday, Saturday, and Sunday with weeks totaling about 12-13 miles.  To me that is way to light and I do better with more frequency so I've added at least one run per week to my plan.

2012-01-31 11:27 PM
in reply to: #4017847

User image

I just trained for almost two years two swim for a total of about 2 minutes 20 seconds so motivation to continue is a no brainer for me.  My personality dictates that I set goals a long ways away so that I keep at things.  I will admit that occasionally I stray from my game plans but I know I have enough time to get back in to my routine.  

I have really decided that I like biking a lot.  I'm not very good at it yet but I enjoy riding and I have a 33 mile long bike trail about 4 miles from my house so now I can ride my trail bike and not worry about traffic.  

The running is and probably always will be a challenge but I'm working through it and I'm getting better.

I am training on nothing but indoor equipment right now so I think just getting outdoors in the spring will bring some of the excitement back to the training

By the way you are correct that I am doing each week twice in a row.  I have looked all the way through the program and obviously will not taper for double weeks so as I near the end of the program I will definitely have to modify things.

Good luck with your tri and your training, hope it goes well for you.

2012-02-02 8:12 AM
in reply to: #3052895

User image

Veteran
Washington D.C.

So I just finished reading an article on LavaMagazine.com about running cadence.  They suggest that the optimal running cadence is 90-100.  While there are plenty of athletes who have this cadence and swear by it I find that when I try to reach this tempo it feels unnatural.  My cadence is normally around 83-85 while I'm running a 9:15/mi but jumps up to 87-88 when I run a 8:15/mi. 

Will cadence be lower when running a slower pace or is it supposed to be the same?

2012-02-03 7:40 PM

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly

Hey Folks:Just popped on by to see how things are going. Was very active here last year going into my first HIM and have a couple of observations to add:

1. Pops is wise and listen to his advice - he knows of that which he speaks.

2. The plan works and it will get you to the finish line.

3. If you have never followed a plan, this is a great start.

4. You will learn a lot (especially about yourself)

5. No plan is perfect and this one lacks long bike miles and long bricks. I would recommend taking some of the long rides out to at least 50+ miles, it is great to have the distance under your belt. Also, a really long brick is important at the end - 45+ miles on the bike and 10 mile run.

6. There is a great run-bike-run segment late in the plan. It is a great workout.

7. The really heavy swim week is unneeded (unless like me you are a weak swimmer).

8. If you are shocked and amazed about going 70.3 this is a great place to start. It ain't perfect, but hopefully the support you gain from one another will make up for it.

Enjoy the journey and keep your goal in focus.Best of luck.

Edited by JoePetto 2012-02-03 7:42 PM
2012-02-03 9:25 PM
in reply to: #4028733

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
JoePetto - 2012-02-04 5:40 AM

Hey Folks:Just popped on by to see how things are going. Was very active here last year going into my first HIM and have a couple of observations to add:

1. Pops is wise and listen to his advice - he knows of that which he speaks.

2. The plan works and it will get you to the finish line.

3. If you have never followed a plan, this is a great start.

4. You will learn a lot (especially about yourself)

5. No plan is perfect and this one lacks long bike miles and long bricks. I would recommend taking some of the long rides out to at least 50+ miles, it is great to have the distance under your belt. Also, a really long brick is important at the end - 45+ miles on the bike and 10 mile run.

6. There is a great run-bike-run segment late in the plan. It is a great workout.

7. The really heavy swim week is unneeded (unless like me you are a weak swimmer).

8. If you are shocked and amazed about going 70.3 this is a great place to start. It ain't perfect, but hopefully the support you gain from one another will make up for it.

Enjoy the journey and keep your goal in focus.Best of luck.

Thanks for the tips.  I start this plan in march, and can't wait.

2012-02-05 5:47 PM

User image

Elite

Training going well.  I took on and completed an Olympic Distance yesterday (YAY!)  It was hard Frown

Here's how it played out....

Weather - hot overcast northerly wind....

Sea - calm and flat but 1500m mapped out in the ocean looks pretty daunting!  I just swam one buoy at a time.  Only about 20 women in my wave so not too brutal.  2mins behind us were the 50+ males though, swam right over me!  2mins behind them the 40+ males, and 2mins behind them the 30+ - I got swim over three times!  I fought back though, grabbing feet and arms as they passed!  hehe!

Run into transition - 800m uphill, not fun at all.

T1 - mmmm less said the better, at least i found my bike

Bike - 2 laps, north, south, north south north - the northerly wind had picked up to gale force over 60kph gusts.  Going uphill north I couldn't get above 11kph!  No could anyone else either - the good news is southbound I was doing over 50kph!  Awesome.  This is the furthest I've ever ridden, 40km and I felt it and i'm still feeling it.

Run - well by then I'm done.  I pushed out the 10km under protest but smiled for every camera and every volunteer/spectator.  Makes a difference.

So - happy with the swim, unhappy with the bike and average with the run.  I think I need to train a lot more and a lot harder on the bike.

For me this was more a mental challenge to get over, i wanted an Olympic in there before I get to long course 2.80.20 in June...it's done!

ps - only 8 in my age group, I came 8th but I'm telling everyone top ten finish!

2012-02-06 12:12 AM
in reply to: #4030774

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Great job on your OLY!  You finished and its early in the season so pretty good!  I finished dead last in my first Oly last summer.  But I finished better than 27 others who did not finish at all!  So good for you!  I hate when those other waves swim right over you!  
2012-02-07 6:32 AM

User image

Bloomington, Indiana

Well..I did it..I pulled the trigger on Muncie last night and registered..Why do I feel this overwhelming sense of impending doom now?

Anyway...now the "fun"starts..which meant getting up at 5am this morning and doing an hour on the trainer..not the worst way to start a day I guess...

"Party on Wayne...."

2012-02-07 11:29 AM

Just downloaded the 1/2 IM plan - gulp.  Racing in Scotland so weather will play a big part!
2012-02-07 8:20 PM
in reply to: #4033188

User image

Elite
drhughes719 - 2012-02-07 6:32 AM

Well..I did it..I pulled the trigger on Muncie last night and registered..Why do I feel this overwhelming sense of impending doom now?

Anyway...now the "fun"starts..which meant getting up at 5am this morning and doing an hour on the trainer..not the worst way to start a day I guess...

"Party on Wayne...."

Welcome to the madness!  I have a girlfriend who is doing Melbourne IM in 6 and a half weeks.  For a few months there she had the whole impending sense of doom...but I saw her at the weekend, what a difference!  She has been training hard with a coach and a squad and she says she is no longer terrified by it, more excited and looking forward to it!  I'm looking forward to that day!

2012-02-08 3:18 PM

User image

Who all uses the free HIM plan and who uses the Silver HIM plan? Pros/Cons? I will be doing my first HIM in July at Racine and training starts in a few weeks and was wondering which one would be better. Looks like the silver goes into more detail and may be more confusing but would like to hear what everyone has to say. Thanks

Derek

2012-02-08 4:08 PM
in reply to: #4036484

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
ddahms - 2012-02-08 1:18 PM

Who all uses the free HIM plan and who uses the Silver HIM plan? Pros/Cons? I will be doing my first HIM in July at Racine and training starts in a few weeks and was wondering which one would be better. Looks like the silver goes into more detail and may be more confusing but would like to hear what everyone has to say. Thanks

Derek

Which one would be better depends a lot on your fitness level at the beginning of the program.  Look at the volume graphs between the two plans.  Because it assumes a much higher beginning fitness level the silver plan jumps right in at pretty high volumes while the free plan is more of a progression over time. 

I personally don't like a lot of complexity with my workouts.  I don't do swim drills.  I don't do strides during my runs.  I don't do any type of drills or repeats on my bike.  I vary my workouts according to the plan for distance and intensity but keep it pretty simple.

If you need more workload than the free plan presents you can modify with elements where you think you can or start with the higher volumes of the silver plan.  I'm kind of in between with a little higher run fitness than the free plan starts with so I've added some miles to each week.  I'm not sure I could have jumped full throttle into the silver plan.

2012-02-09 6:28 AM

User image

Bloomington, Indiana

^^X2...I like to keep it as uncomplicated as possible..I go by the old saying KISS  (Keep It Simple Stupid)...

I am psyched about Muncie..Bring It!!

2012-02-09 4:41 PM
in reply to: #4036597

User image

in a van, down by the river
Lots of great info.I'm on day 32 now, went into this very skeptical about my ability to hang. This was a "well I guess I will try and see" kinda thing. It is going well.I find it is getting easier as my confidence improves, despite the increasing volume. first two weeks were harder (tho I started well short of the established 'begin' criteria)Am I in for a harsh awakening at some point in the near future? Will it get dramatically worse/ harder or just continue on? I have not missed a workout yet. Loving it.My real debate is in picking an event. Was thinking Miami 70.3 in October, as it would give lots of time to train and get ready. Now I wonder if it is TOO much time, thus resulting in a loss of interest / burnout at some point ? Full of motivation thus far, but I don't know if it will last 8 more months...thoughts ? Pops you out there?
2012-02-09 5:51 PM
in reply to: #4038837

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Americanfatass - 2012-02-09 2:41 PM Lots of great info.I'm on day 32 now, went into this very skeptical about my ability to hang. This was a "well I guess I will try and see" kinda thing. It is going well.I find it is getting easier as my confidence improves, despite the increasing volume. first two weeks were harder (tho I started well short of the established 'begin' criteria)Am I in for a harsh awakening at some point in the near future? Will it get dramatically worse/ harder or just continue on? I have not missed a workout yet. Loving it.My real debate is in picking an event. Was thinking Miami 70.3 in October, as it would give lots of time to train and get ready. Now I wonder if it is TOO much time, thus resulting in a loss of interest / burnout at some point ? Full of motivation thus far, but I don't know if it will last 8 more months...thoughts ? Pops you out there?

I think you hit it on the head.  The toughest part of the plan is the discipline to be consistent over a relatively long period of time.  To jump into the plan and not reap the rewards until October would be pretty tough.  I'd look for something in June or so and follow through with the timeline and progression of the plan.  The phases are designed to bring you to a certain point for a race.  When I went through the plan the first time and stood at the line for the start of my race I realized that I had never in my life put so much focused work into one single day.  Hit the 20 weeks consistently, do the race, than reload for an October race would be my thoughts.

I don't think that it physically gets worse as duration of workouts increase because you are also getting stronger and fitter.  Well, the 1000 yard swim time trial really hurts but the rest is pretty manageable.  You will also gain more confidence in your workouts later in the plan.  Again the tough part is sticking with it and sounds like you are doing great so far.

2012-02-09 8:32 PM
in reply to: #4038957

User image

Elite
popsracer - 2012-02-09 5:51 PM

Americanfatass - 2012-02-09 2:41 PM Lots of great info.I'm on day 32 now, went into this very skeptical about my ability to hang. This was a "well I guess I will try and see" kinda thing. It is going well.I find it is getting easier as my confidence improves, despite the increasing volume. first two weeks were harder (tho I started well short of the established 'begin' criteria)Am I in for a harsh awakening at some point in the near future? Will it get dramatically worse/ harder or just continue on? I have not missed a workout yet. Loving it.My real debate is in picking an event. Was thinking Miami 70.3 in October, as it would give lots of time to train and get ready. Now I wonder if it is TOO much time, thus resulting in a loss of interest / burnout at some point ? Full of motivation thus far, but I don't know if it will last 8 more months...thoughts ? Pops you out there?

I think you hit it on the head.  The toughest part of the plan is the discipline to be consistent over a relatively long period of time.  To jump into the plan and not reap the rewards until October would be pretty tough.  I'd look for something in June or so and follow through with the timeline and progression of the plan.  The phases are designed to bring you to a certain point for a race.  When I went through the plan the first time and stood at the line for the start of my race I realized that I had never in my life put so much focused work into one single day.  Hit the 20 weeks consistently, do the race, than reload for an October race would be my thoughts.

I don't think that it physically gets worse as duration of workouts increase because you are also getting stronger and fitter.  Well, the 1000 yard swim time trial really hurts but the rest is pretty manageable.  You will also gain more confidence in your workouts later in the plan.  Again the tough part is sticking with it and sounds like you are doing great so far.

I've got long course 2.80.20 (km) in June but am using this program - just finishing week 17.  Missed a day this week and had to play catchup but i'm all caught up now!  I'm then doing a HIM in October - perfect!

For me it's finding the time to fit two workouts in - but I'm managing with a couple of 4.30am indoor trainer rides!

The only thing I don't follow strictly is the swim - I swim three times a week with a squad, it's always at least 60mins.  Once a week is OWS and once a week is real drill work.  Our volume is around the 3km mark - I imagine that will cover it nicely!  The coach is great and he knows what I'm aiming for so loving it.

2012-02-10 12:07 AM
in reply to: #4039176

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
jobaxas - 2012-02-10 6:32 AM
popsracer - 2012-02-09 5:51 PM

I've got long course 2.80.20 (km) in June but am using this program - just finishing week 17.  Missed a day this week and had to play catchup but i'm all caught up now!  I'm then doing a HIM in October - perfect!

For me it's finding the time to fit two workouts in - but I'm managing with a couple of 4.30am indoor trainer rides!

The only thing I don't follow strictly is the swim - I swim three times a week with a squad, it's always at least 60mins.  Once a week is OWS and once a week is real drill work.  Our volume is around the 3km mark - I imagine that will cover it nicely!  The coach is great and he knows what I'm aiming for so loving it.

I've been following this thread for three or so pages now.  I am learning alot from your guys' experiences and posts.  I start this plan in 3 Weeks for first tri in August!  Thanks for all  your info.  I'm excited for this journey.

2012-02-10 7:27 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Nearing the end of week 18.  I hate the way the weeks count down in the plan.  I think it's more normal to think of it in terms of how many weeks of the plan you've accomplished.

Anyway, did the 20 x 50 swim workout today.  That was as painful as running a 5k.  Had a good day though as I hit them all between 40 and 43 seconds.  I'm pretty sure it's the faster I've ever swam.  Cold beer tonight!!

2012-02-11 11:44 AM
in reply to: #4041386

User image

popsracer - 2012-02-10 8:27 PM

Nearing the end of week 18.  I hate the way the weeks count down in the plan.

I'd like to make a motion that we switch to the "# day format", ie: in the plan, despite the screwy 'countdown' week timing they also reference a DAY #, I prefer this  format ie, I'm on DAY 34

2012-02-11 11:47 AM

User image

though as I hit them all between 40 and 43 seconds.  

That is smokin' fast !   Great job--- and cold beer for you !    I did the 2000 non-stop this week at purposely slow pace to make sure I'd complete it (2:10 / 100), slow maybe but for sure a huge sense of accomplishment considering I learned how to swim this past summer.  This plan is a great confidence builder for me.   I'm starting to think evil thoughts about a real hard push and an earlier 1/2 than previously contemplated.

2012-02-12 7:53 PM
in reply to: #4042016

User image

Americanfatass,

I'm not sure where you're from but there is a HIM in Columbus, Ohio September 23.  I know it isn't much earlier than the October Florida race but it is a little earlier.  I hear the course is pretty flat and water temps are typically in the low to mid 70's so wet suits will come in handy.  

Don't know if you read my previous threads but I'm taking the 20 week course and making it 40 weeks by doubling each week.  I do each week two times in succession.  I think near the end of the plan I will have to do some modification because I won't want to taper twice as long.  I think I average 5 workouts per week which means I miss a workout or two here and there but since I'm doubling the plan I figure I'll be okay.

Good luck with whatever race you decide on. 

2012-02-12 9:20 PM

User image

Elite

I missed my 90min ride Sunday - family responsibilities sometimes take priority.  Anyhow I later read as I'd raced last Sunday I should have not done my hard workouts anyway!  so I figure i'm ahead!  I'm throwing in an extra spin class tonight (45mins) before my swim squad.

I love getting onto the program on a Sunday and working out which workouts to do on which day the following week. 

2012-02-13 11:47 AM

I want to join this group but not sure how to "join" it other than posting here. I'm using the plan for the 1/2 Iron (Barb's Race) in Northern CA in July (connected to Vineman). Glad it's a women-only event and really glad to have the training plan to follow.  Could use some advice on what Garmin is best and also I'm making the switch to clip-in shoes (yes, I'm just now doing it ... I've been saving my pennies.. Tri stuff is PRICEY) but I figure it's not  about the gear although some times it feels that way. ANY and ALL advice about anything is appreciated. I'm 100% NEWBIE.

2012-02-13 11:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Washington D.C.

Anyway, did the 20 x 50 swim workout today.  That was as painful as running a 5k.  Had a good day though as I hit them all between 40 and 43 seconds.  I'm pretty sure it's the faster I've ever swam.  Cold beer tonight!!

I just finished up week 14 and did the 10x100 EBEH set for the second time.  I think those are more fun than the 20x50s.  In fact, the guy in the lane next to me asked what my sets were and joined in racing me.  We took turns eating each others' bubbles...

2012-02-13 12:06 PM
in reply to: #4044688

User image

Master
TriEricaTri - 2012-02-13 9:47 AM

I want to join this group but not sure how to "join" it other than posting here. I'm using the plan for the 1/2 Iron (Barb's Race) in Northern CA in July (connected to Vineman). Glad it's a women-only event and really glad to have the training plan to follow.  Could use some advice on what Garmin is best and also I'm making the switch to clip-in shoes (yes, I'm just now doing it ... I've been saving my pennies.. Tri stuff is PRICEY) but I figure it's not  about the gear although some times it feels that way. ANY and ALL advice about anything is appreciated. I'm 100% NEWBIE.

Hi Erica,

That is how I joined, just by posting :-).  Welcome to the site.  Tons of good info here--I have learned much just by reading the forums.  Can't comment on the best Garmin, although I have been happy with my 305, at least of bike and run.  I too am quite new, and don't have all the gear, but I  think it is all about the training, not the gear!  Good luck.

Kirsten

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group Rss Feed  

of 150