2012-02-13 12:25 PM
in reply to: #3052895

User image

Veteran
CT
Subject: RE: Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group

Day 1 of the plan starts now.

When does this happen in the thread?
Colonel Sandurz: Now. You're looking at now, sir. Everything that happens now, is happening now.
Dark Helmet: What happened to then?
Colonel Sandurz: We passed then.
Dark Helmet: When?
Colonel Sandurz: Just now. We're at now now.
Dark Helmet: Go back to then.
Colonel Sandurz: When?
Dark Helmet: Now.
Colonel Sandurz: Now?
Dark Helmet: Now.
Colonel Sandurz: I can't.
Dark Helmet: Why?
Colonel Sandurz: We missed it.
Dark Helmet: When?
Colonel Sandurz: Just now.
Dark Helmet: When will then be now?
Colonel Sandurz: Soon.
Dark Helmet: How soon?

2012-02-13 1:06 PM
in reply to: #4044688

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
TriEricaTri - 2012-02-13 9:47 AM

I want to join this group but not sure how to "join" it other than posting here. I'm using the plan for the 1/2 Iron (Barb's Race) in Northern CA in July (connected to Vineman). Glad it's a women-only event and really glad to have the training plan to follow.  Could use some advice on what Garmin is best and also I'm making the switch to clip-in shoes (yes, I'm just now doing it ... I've been saving my pennies.. Tri stuff is PRICEY) but I figure it's not  about the gear although some times it feels that way. ANY and ALL advice about anything is appreciated. I'm 100% NEWBIE.

Welcome Erica.  Thanks for joining us.  I've found this a great thread for sharing the HIM journey.  Lots of great folks here.

Barb's race is a great event.  I did Vineman last year and really enjoyed the whole experience.  If you have any questions about the course or event let me know.

There are a lot of Garmin options out there ranging from the 110 to the new 910xt.  Depends on what features you want.  The 305 is a great watch all around and is a bargain compared to the 610 or 910xt.  The 910xt has all the bells and whistles and what sets it apart is its ability to record swim workouts both in the pool and in open water.  Any of them will work pretty well for running and cycling. 

I'd also encourage you to log your workouts on the site.  It makes it easier for people to answer any questions you might have on your training.

2012-02-13 1:08 PM

User image

in a van, down by the river

Day 39.

What happens when you get sick ?  Blech, I feel like crap.  Chest and lungs all nastied up.   I blew off the 2 hour bike yesterday, but did manage a (very difficult) hour in the pool yesterday.    it's my first departure of any  kind from the plan, I've been following it with a fearful amount of obedience.

May try to hit the bike tonight...  what is conventional wisdom here when you're mid-plan and get sick ?  I have a feeling this one isnt going away real fast either, as I'm the last one in my family to get it and they all were sick for multiple days...

2012-02-13 1:12 PM
in reply to: #4044701

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
mrfranks_84 - 2012-02-13 9:52 AM
popsracer - 2012-02-10 8:27 PM

Anyway, did the 20 x 50 swim workout today.  That was as painful as running a 5k.  Had a good day though as I hit them all between 40 and 43 seconds.  I'm pretty sure it's the faster I've ever swam.  Cold beer tonight!!

I just finished up week 14 and did the 10x100 EBEH set for the second time.  I think those are more fun than the 20x50s.  In fact, the guy in the lane next to me asked what my sets were and joined in racing me.  We took turns eating each others' bubbles...

Yeah, I think the 10 x 100's are more fun too.  I end up racing people in other lanes when I do them.  The people in the other lanes don't know it though and I choose my competition carefully.Smile

2012-02-13 1:17 PM
in reply to: #4044936

User image

Master
Americanfatass - 2012-02-13 11:08 AM

Day 39.

What happens when you get sick ?  Blech, I feel like crap.  Chest and lungs all nastied up.   I blew off the 2 hour bike yesterday, but did manage a (very difficult) hour in the pool yesterday.    it's my first departure of any  kind from the plan, I've been following it with a fearful amount of obedience.

May try to hit the bike tonight...  what is conventional wisdom here when you're mid-plan and get sick ?  I have a feeling this one isnt going away real fast either, as I'm the last one in my family to get it and they all were sick for multiple days...

I always struggle with this also.  Was sick last week, missed 3 days of workouts.  I have always been told don't try to make them up, just continue with the plan when you are better.  Easier said than done when you are a bit OCD about following the plan...I've also been told that if the illness is above the neck (ie head cold), keep training, but below the neck take the time off.  I always listen to my body; if a normally easy workout feels really hard, it probably needs a rest.

Feel better soon!

2012-02-13 1:33 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Americanfatass - 2012-02-13 11:08 AM

Day 39.

Sorry to hear that.  Kind of a bummer but mid-plan is better than race week to be sick.

It is really a tough call because you want to keep training but it's generally better to rest in order to get through it as quickly as possible, especially if it's in your chest and lungs.  I'm more inclined to train through nose and throat but chest/lungs not so much.

Kind of a tough time in the plan to get sick too with a recovery week coming up soon.  But that would be too convenient if this was a recovery week.  You are still early enough in the plan though to just take it all in stride, rest up as best you can, and than get back into the plan. 

2012-02-14 12:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Washington D.C.
Americanfatass - 2012-02-13 2:08 PM

Day 39.

I agree with popsracer.  It may seem counter intuitive but it is best to just take it easy.  I learned from experience the past 2 years to listen to your body.  For instance, I had a slight strain in my right quad last week (week 14) and it was a pretty heavy week.  I could feel it hurting while on my bike rides and running but it wasn't getting worse.  It also wasn't getting better.  I decided to just spend some extra time with my wife over the weekend and sure enough when I started up this week the pain was gone.  

If you can't stand just sitting on the couch waiting to feel better I'd say just go out for long walks or very, VERY easy trainer rides but stay out of the pool.

2012-02-14 12:17 PM

User image

Veteran
CT

day 2. ready to go now.

2012-02-14 7:23 PM
in reply to: #4044688

User image

TriEricaTri - 2012-02-13 11:47 AM

I want to join this group but not sure how to "join" it other than posting here. I'm using the plan for the 1/2 Iron (Barb's Race) in Northern CA in July (connected to Vineman). Glad it's a women-only event and really glad to have the training plan to follow.  Could use some advice on what Garmin is best and also I'm making the switch to clip-in shoes (yes, I'm just now doing it ... I've been saving my pennies.. Tri stuff is PRICEY) but I figure it's not  about the gear although some times it feels that way. ANY and ALL advice about anything is appreciated. I'm 100% NEWBIE.

Erica,

Welcome to the group.  I'm new as well and have found much of the information interesting and informative.  If you are on a budget I think the Garmin forerunner 305 is a great choice.  Just wanted to clarify because there is a Garmin Edge 305 as well and it's really a bike computer.  The best advice I can give you about clipless pedals is that as you approach an intersection take a foot out of the clip even if there isn't traffic.  You never no when a car my go whizzing by and if you have to make a quick stop while still clipped in you are going to hit the ground.  Make sure you do some shorter races before the HIM, Next weekend I'll be doing my 4th of 5 indoor tris and I have several sprint and OLY distance races already planned for the summer.

Enjoy

2012-02-14 7:27 PM

User image

Can anyone tell me how it's supposed to be an advantage to leave your shoes in the pedals of your bike? All of the tri's I have been in require that you walk/run your bike out of the transition area, many of them have sand, gravel, or grass and I really don't want all that junk on my feet when I put them in to a shoe.  In addition the shoes I have would make it nearly impossible to strap the shoes while pedaling.
2012-02-15 1:22 PM

User image

Veteran
CT
Almost killed myself on the trainer today. Pedal broke and I went flying. LuckilyI grabbed onto something and saved myself. 

2012-02-15 3:20 PM
in reply to: #4049265

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

ctbrian - 2012-02-15 11:22 AM Almost killed myself on the trainer today. Pedal broke and I went flying. LuckilyI grabbed onto something and saved myself. 

What kind of pedals were they?  Glad you didn't hurt yourself.

2012-02-15 8:35 PM

User image

Elite

BREAKTHROUGH OWS!!!!

Finally nice swim conditions in the bay last night.  Weather 33 degrees which is 91F!!!  Water calm and chilly.

Warm up 480m to the big yellow stick.  Wasn't last, this is a good sign...100 people turned up for squad I could see those dollar signs in Coach's eyes!

Next up was a long race to the first set of rocks 1km.  We set off.  My focus was to stay straight and not get off course, and swim long and strong at a speed faster than my comfort zone.  Also try and get on some people's toes. 

So this all went very well, I did get on Pam's toes - unfortunately she's a non-kicker and goes off course all the time.  I abandoned her!  I found a few sets of toes but over 1km the pack spreads out pretty much.  However I stayed straight, and I felt my technique was good, I was also faster than usual - way off the BOP!!!  I would say I was at the back of MOP!

Once at the rocks it was turn around and do 150m sprint races.  This gets the heart going!  Coach Johnny sends the kayaker off 150m then says GO! and it's a free for all.  Over that short distance we don't get separated so I managed to draft off some fabulous swimmers and championship class triathletes.  Yes i got kicked and punched all over, but I hit back as hard!

We did these sets back to the stick then cooldown 480m back to the start.  I got a massive calf cramp 200m from shore, Coach straightened me out and I swam back without kicking.  It's still sore this morning.  All my own doing, didn't drink a sports drink beforehand (91 degrees I should know better) also hadn't had my banana and ate heaps of chocolate!

To sum up - it seems the three squad sessions in the pool last week improved my technique, strength and confidence.  Coupled with good conditions and a mixed standard of swimmers I had an awesome night!

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY.Cool

2012-02-16 12:22 PM
in reply to: #4049544

User image

Veteran
CT
popsracer - 2012-02-15 4:20 PM

ctbrian - 2012-02-15 11:22 AM Almost killed myself on the trainer today. Pedal broke and I went flying. LuckilyI grabbed onto something and saved myself. 

What kind of pedals were they?  Glad you didn't hurt yourself.

16 year old SPD mountain bike pedals.  I was thinking it was time to replace them but now I have no choice and will upgrade.

2012-02-16 12:30 PM
in reply to: #4049928

User image

Veteran
Washington D.C.
jobaxas - 2012-02-15 9:35 PM

To sum up - it seems the three squad sessions in the pool last week improved my technique, strength and confidence.  Coupled with good conditions and a mixed standard of swimmers I had an awesome night!

Congrats, jobaxas!  Hopefully I do as well as you did when I have my 1000m swim TT this weekend.

2012-02-17 4:57 PM

User image

Elite

After my happy swim - well an unhappy ride really.  To sum up I am not comfortable on the road on my bike.  Nervous feeling never leaves me - phobia about stopping!  Anyway I ended up going on the bike path and I practised stopping there. 

My brother said I need to take my bike to the park or somewhere similar and practice going really slow and controlling the bike and balancing...I shall do that before my long ride tomorrow.

It was also the hour of the day I went - 5.30pm peak hour, very busy. 

When I ran the same way at 6am this morning - not a car on the road....

Had an awesome run this morning - week 16 - 60mins with strides, loved it.

2012-02-17 10:02 PM
in reply to: #4053797

User image

jobaxas - 2012-02-17 5:57 PM

Great job on that long run.   I'm right here with you, actually still very new at all 3 events and realizing now that you had a breakthrough swim and run all in the same week based on your last couple posts.   That is awesome !  Great job !

I continue to struggle, but have occasional breathroughs  as well.  I wonder why I'm not losing weight, why my running gains endurance but seemingly little speed, why I still #hate# my tri-bike and myriad other things BUT--  as you mention the 'breakthrough'-- it doesnt take many of those to keep you motivated !

Good or bad, I find myself increasingly more dedicated.  A couple 'break through' days like you've desciribed really make it worth the effort.  Enjoy that !

2012-02-17 11:38 PM

Regular
SF Bay Area

Hi all,

I was not too sure how to join this group but reading older post it appears you just jump in.  If that is not the case I will apologize now.

I raced in four sprints last year as that was my first year of tri.  Over the winter I signed up for the Vineman 70.3 here in California.  I was crazy happy when I signed up.  Now I am starting to really freak out as it is becoming a reality and I need to start training.  My goal is to just finish within the time deadlines (everyone says that huh?)

I did all my races last year on a moutain bike but bought my first road bike a couple weeks ago (AND I LOVE IT).  I am going to do my best to follow this plan as it is the only one I have found that looked realistic based on my crazy work and family life.  So this is it.  The race is July 15th so the beginning of this 20 week program is righ around the corner.

I look foward to being a part of this group and warn you now I might have some bonehead questions.

2012-02-18 12:21 AM
in reply to: #4051013

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
mrfranks_84 - 2012-02-16 10:30 AM
jobaxas - 2012-02-15 9:35 PM

Congrats, jobaxas!  Hopefully I do as well as you did when I have my 1000m swim TT this weekend.

Will be anxious to hear how your tt goes.  It is one of the highlights of the plan.

2012-02-18 7:00 AM
in reply to: #4054074

User image

Veteran
Washington D.C.
Americanfatass - 2012-02-17 11:02 PM 

I continue to struggle, but have occasional breathroughs  as well.  I wonder why I'm not losing weight, why my running gains endurance but seemingly little speed, why I still #hate# my tri-bike and myriad other things BUT--  as you mention the 'breakthrough'-- it doesnt take many of those to keep you motivated !

I had the same problems my first year of training as well.  Didn't really lose too much weight, couldn't get real comfortable on my bike, and my run wasn't where I wanted it.  I found out during my off-season that I was eating waaaaay too many carbs even for an increase in training which is why I didn't lose the weight that I wanted to.  I changed my diet this season and I'm losing about a pound a week.  The bike, I finally broke down and paid for a professional fitting.  Ends up my seat was too low, too far back, and my arm rests too far apart.  Minor adjustments but a major change in comfort.  And as for the run, that just comes with time.  It took me 2 seasons to get me where I am happy with my running pace and endurance.  I found that starting off the season nice and slow helped alot this year.

Edited by mrfranks_84 2012-02-18 7:01 AM
2012-02-18 10:57 AM
in reply to: #4054134

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
graham1728 - 2012-02-17 9:38 PM

Hi all,

I was not too sure how to join this group but reading older post it appears you just jump in.  If that is not the case I will apologize now.

I raced in four sprints last year as that was my first year of tri.  Over the winter I signed up for the Vineman 70.3 here in California.  I was crazy happy when I signed up.  Now I am starting to really freak out as it is becoming a reality and I need to start training.  My goal is to just finish within the time deadlines (everyone says that huh?)

I did all my races last year on a moutain bike but bought my first road bike a couple weeks ago (AND I LOVE IT).  I am going to do my best to follow this plan as it is the only one I have found that looked realistic based on my crazy work and family life.  So this is it.  The race is July 15th so the beginning of this 20 week program is righ around the corner.

I look foward to being a part of this group and warn you now I might have some bonehead questions.

Welcome to the group Graham.  It's pretty natural to freak out a little.  It is a huge accomplishment but the plan will prepare you well.  Just take it one week at a time.

Vineman is a great race.  I did the full IM there last year and am doing it again with my daughter.  It is one of the most beautiful courses I've ever experienced.  You will enjoy it.

2012-02-18 12:43 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA

I'm starting The week after Next.  The last week of February.  This will be such an awesome journey.  I can't wait.  HIM is August 5th. 

Currently I'm training for May 19 Marathon.  I'm running alot, and will be interesting to see how my body adjusts to increased swim, bike commitments with build up miles for marathon.

I have an o.k. base in the swim, last mo. was swimming 2000-2400 yd workouts regularly.  I'm not so good on bike, as last biking was done in fall before winter weather has pushed me inside on a spin bike. 

I enjoy following your training, keep up the good work.  excited about joining in two mondays from now.

2012-02-18 1:42 PM
in reply to: #4054074

User image

Elite
Americanfatass - 2012-02-17 10:02 PM
jobaxas - 2012-02-17 5:57 PM

Great job on that long run.   I'm right here with you, actually still very new at all 3 events and realizing now that you had a breakthrough swim and run all in the same week based on your last couple posts.   That is awesome !  Great job !

Good or bad, I find myself increasingly more dedicated.  A couple 'break through' days like you've desciribed really make it worth the effort.  Enjoy that !

Thanks!  It's 6.40am Sunday and I'm about to try and have a breakthrough 2 hour ride.  It's a warm morning and looks pretty still.  I was hoping it would be daylight but not quite so lights on and action!  I will update later as to how it went.

2012-02-18 4:11 PM

User image

Elite

I promised an update...

1 hour 51 minutes, 40km done - not a breakthrough ride but such a vast improvement on Friday's.  The trick is no traffic!  I loved it - hundreds of cyclists out there but mainly considerate to this wobbly one!  I felt better and I am sure with practice will improve more.

The stopping phobia has passed - still not graceful but more confident - also managed to cross the main intersectio without walking across!  Clipless pedals being fitted on Friday - a whole new world of worry...

Laughing

2012-02-19 8:02 PM
in reply to: #4054253

User image

mrfranks_84 - 2012-02-18 8:00 AM  I found out during my off-season that I was eating waaaaay too many carbs even for an increase in training which is why I didn't lose the weight that I wanted to.  I changed my diet this season and I'm losing about a pound a week.  The bike, I finally broke down and paid for a professional fitting.  

Good comments.    I spent the weekend researching bike fitters around here, and am going to schedule that up tomorrow for sure.   The guy I'm going with is a liscenced Guru system fitter (read: custom bike probly not far behind) and I'm hopeful.  I cannot imagine the joy of being comfortable on a tri bike, that must be quite a privelege, I tried a fit before but I know we got it wrong (wrong guy).

I've started recording all my food intake, and I'm gonna do some math.  Last spring when i started all this craziness I lost 40 pounds by journaling all my food and exercise; the basic formula of 3500 calories = 1 pound whether thru exercise (burning it) or nutrition (eating less of it) really worked well then but has slowed now.

Interesting thought on the carbs, I'm really only going to give myself a B- in this department.   Sad to say it, I've learned this winter that even at half-ironman level (10 hours /week) there is no forgiveness for being a pig.   It sucks, but I'm starting to believe the theory of 90% diet, 10% exercise when it comes to weight loss.   A bit startling to think all that effort wont pay the price..

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group Rss Feed  

of 150