Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 110

2011-05-23 12:25 PM
in reply to: #2944040

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bainbridge Island, Washington
Subject: RE: Ironman Texas
Lol I was at the bike transition as a "bike catcher". Here's my review of the day if anyone is interested:

http://krisparks.blogspot.com/

It was rather entertaining to say the least, and I ran/walked over 5 miles just in transition, getting people's bikes to the proper spot on the racks.

Congrats to all the participants!

2011-05-23 12:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Does anyone know why the rankings are different between ironmanlive.com and the results book on ironmantexas.com? The difference between the two for my age group rank is 20 spots!

And thanks to all the volunteers, you guys were awesome!

2011-05-23 1:28 PM
in reply to: #3514049

User image

Extreme Veteran
TX
BJG85 - 2011-05-23 12:58 PM

Does anyone know why the rankings are different between ironmanlive.com and the results book on ironmantexas.com? The difference between the two for my age group rank is 20 spots!

Quick review... looks like the ironmantexas results book has some screwy stuff going on. For example friend of mine is listed in overall and gender; but doesn't show anywhere in his age group. And the M45-49 list only shows 140 finishers. IM Live results shows 320. I don't think there were that many DNF's...

2011-05-23 2:09 PM
in reply to: #3514124

User image

Veteran
Kingwood, TX
PLMsbr - 2011-05-23 1:28 PM

Quick review... looks like the ironmantexas results book has some screwy stuff going on. For example friend of mine is listed in overall and gender; but doesn't show anywhere in his age group. And the M45-49 list only shows 140 finishers. IM Live results shows 320. I don't think there were that many DNF's...

Did your friend wear a wetsuit?  If so, although they are official finishers I don't believe they do not get counted in the age group results.

2011-05-23 2:46 PM
in reply to: #3513819

User image

Master
Houston, TX
shaymike2014 - 2011-05-23 11:30 AM

Steve,

Thanks for being out there. You're right. The speedo and the skirt were kind of a shock to the senses. You had me smiling for another two miles after I saw you.

Didn't see you on the third lap. I guess you were off signing up for 2012?  ;>)

Mike

I had a late Friday night, and then after 13.5 hours of being at the race, I started to crash pretty quickly at 8ish. I had others with me that car pooled with me and had to get them home still!. Otherwise I would of stayed out there till I crashed and just slept in the bushes. Watching all of y'all race was great! Everyone looked good and determined!
2011-05-23 3:20 PM
in reply to: #3514214

User image

Extreme Veteran
TX
jls42 - 2011-05-23 2:09 PM

Did your friend wear a wetsuit?  If so, although they are official finishers I don't believe they do not get counted in the age group results.

Ah, yes... of course - excellent catch Cool    That does seem to tie everything together.

2011-05-23 4:02 PM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
Can any of you computer whiz kids convert the Overall Results section of the Results Book into an excel file, or some other format that can be sliced and diced? It'd sure make understanding how you stacked up relative to the rest of the field a lot easier. It sure seems like this is an area (reporting results in a user friendly format) that WTC could improve at almost no cost!

Edited by g_shotts 2011-05-23 4:03 PM
2011-05-23 6:27 PM
in reply to: #3514465

User image

Veteran
Kingwood, TX

g_shotts - 2011-05-23 4:02 PM Can any of you computer whiz kids convert the Overall Results section of the Results Book into an excel file, or some other format that can be sliced and diced? It'd sure make understanding how you stacked up relative to the rest of the field a lot easier. It sure seems like this is an area (reporting results in a user friendly format) that WTC could improve at almost no cost!

Here you go:

2011-05-23 6:28 PM
in reply to: #3514465

User image

Veteran
Kingwood, TX

g_shotts - 2011-05-23 4:02 PM Can any of you computer whiz kids convert the Overall Results section of the Results Book into an excel file, or some other format that can be sliced and diced? It'd sure make understanding how you stacked up relative to the rest of the field a lot easier. It sure seems like this is an area (reporting results in a user friendly format) that WTC could improve at almost no cost!

I tried to attach a filtered excel version but BT won't let me do it...

2011-05-23 6:34 PM
in reply to: #3514393

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kingwood, TX
PLMsbr - 2011-05-23 3:20 PM
jls42 - 2011-05-23 2:09 PM

Ah, yes... of course - excellent catch Cool    That does seem to tie everything together.

That isn't it ... I knew a bunch of people who wore wetsuits and they are all listed in the regular rankings.  My guess is that WTC just screwed it up and will re-release it again in the next couple of days.

Hey did anyone else prepay for photos when you registered?  If so, do they just send them to us or do we have to claim them or something? 

2011-05-23 7:15 PM
in reply to: #3512796

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
AndrewMT - 2011-05-22 5:54 PM
TexasMPGal - 2011-05-22 11:26 AM

So, wasn't going to post in the IMTX race thread directly till after the race due to the minor rivalry w/ the IMCdA thread...

But seriously, I was at the race from 0600-2345 last night from the swim start-thru bike out-run starts-pro finish-then aid station 4 on the run and I had a BLAST! It was awesome to see all of you out there putting it to the race regardless of what it dealt you. I gained a huge amount of inspiration that I've bottled up for IMCdA next month and plan to use for these last few weeks of hard training. Coming back here to TX is truly like going home.  Minus the humidity (which I can get over), I love this state and the people in it SO much that I'm sure I'll make my way back here to live in the future (as Uncle Sam see's fit)!! I really, really miss all of you.  I just might even have to take on this race in a couple of years. Congrats again to all of you!  If you are bored this afternoon/tonight, head over to the Creekside YMCA Outdoor Recreation Center (they have a nice nice building, so all indoors) from 4:30-7PM to say hi to me, OR better-- for Los Cucos fajitas with the likes of Tim O'Donnell (who is bringing his girlfriend---you know, Mirinda Carfrae), some raffle prizes, and some silent auction stuff.

WELL DONE!!!

Brittany, I'm pretty sure I saw you walking around on Saturday morning.  Would have said hello but I was in a hurry.  Good to see you out there!

Ah, darn it, I am pretty sure I saw you too, but it was too like a stutter step to late to say anything--Shama shirt and IMCdA finisher hat?!?! Darn it....I was in a hurry too, but at least we kind of sort of ran into each other!  I expect our Team will run an aid station again this next year (as year 1 we learned a lot in the execution piece, next year we'll be able to better implement some more entertainment if you will! But we did keep the ice sponges cold!) and if I can get out there, you bet I will.  Would love to race it, but won't work with schedule the next few years...but someday!

2011-05-23 8:23 PM
in reply to: #3513851

User image

Veteran

mountain_erin - 2011-05-23 11:46 AM

Run was going to be the thing that got me - I knew that.  Being that it snowed a week ago and they de-iced our plane on Thurs flying here, I had no heat tolerance.  The promise that I made to myself was that walking was ok, puking, being dehydrated, and needing medical help was NOT ok.  Coming off the bike, my legs felt GREAT.  I ran a half mile and then my stomach was unhappy.  I tried doing a run walk thing as I felt I could for the first loop (which was ok) and part of the second loop. I'd just run until the stomach cramping started up.  I just couldn't drink my Infinit, and at the start of the second loop, I started to get really dizzy and out of it.  That's when I realized I was doing a whole bunch of walking.  I started taking Coke at every aid station but it took a full hour before I perked up again.  By that point I had a monster blister on the ball of my foot and doing the run/walk thing was actually slower than just walking.  Its funny, walking a marathon doesn't sound all that hard, but it was HARD.  Probably harder than running.  Second loop was really horrible (I was CRABBY) but by the third loop, I just told myself that I only had 2.5 hrs left, which is NOTHING compared to all my training and that day.  Finished with a smile on my face and no medical tent. 

I am TOTALLY with you here!  I feel great today, except for the 2 HUGE blisters on the balls of both of my feet that are making me walk funny.  They cropped up at the end of the first run loop, making the second and third loops of walking VERY hard -- and I agree, much harder than running would have been (but for the heat).  Anyway . . . I am an Ironman!

Edited by johnandkristy 2011-05-23 8:24 PM
2011-05-23 9:14 PM
in reply to: #3514777

User image

Elite
Spring, TX
TexasMPGal - 2011-05-23 7:15 PM
AndrewMT - 2011-05-22 5:54 PM
TexasMPGal - 2011-05-22 11:26 AM

So, wasn't going to post in the IMTX race thread directly till after the race due to the minor rivalry w/ the IMCdA thread...

But seriously, I was at the race from 0600-2345 last night from the swim start-thru bike out-run starts-pro finish-then aid station 4 on the run and I had a BLAST! It was awesome to see all of you out there putting it to the race regardless of what it dealt you. I gained a huge amount of inspiration that I've bottled up for IMCdA next month and plan to use for these last few weeks of hard training. Coming back here to TX is truly like going home.  Minus the humidity (which I can get over), I love this state and the people in it SO much that I'm sure I'll make my way back here to live in the future (as Uncle Sam see's fit)!! I really, really miss all of you.  I just might even have to take on this race in a couple of years. Congrats again to all of you!  If you are bored this afternoon/tonight, head over to the Creekside YMCA Outdoor Recreation Center (they have a nice nice building, so all indoors) from 4:30-7PM to say hi to me, OR better-- for Los Cucos fajitas with the likes of Tim O'Donnell (who is bringing his girlfriend---you know, Mirinda Carfrae), some raffle prizes, and some silent auction stuff.

WELL DONE!!!

Brittany, I'm pretty sure I saw you walking around on Saturday morning.  Would have said hello but I was in a hurry.  Good to see you out there!

Ah, darn it, I am pretty sure I saw you too, but it was too like a stutter step to late to say anything--Shama shirt and IMCdA finisher hat?!?! Darn it....I was in a hurry too, but at least we kind of sort of ran into each other!  I expect our Team will run an aid station again this next year (as year 1 we learned a lot in the execution piece, next year we'll be able to better implement some more entertainment if you will! But we did keep the ice sponges cold!) and if I can get out there, you bet I will.  Would love to race it, but won't work with schedule the next few years...but someday!

That was me! I'm sure I walked right by several dozen BTers, but unfortunately don't recognize many  You're one of the few I know. 

I'll definitely be out there next year helping again.  I need a hydration plan for spectating though!

2011-05-23 9:15 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Same question as Jeff about pre-paid pics.  I sent an e-mail to the company yesterday but have not heard back.  Seems they are not US based as it is an international number
2011-05-23 9:19 PM
in reply to: #3514317

User image

Regular
Cypress, TX
smilford - 2011-05-23 2:46 PM

Steve,

Thanks for being out there. You're right. The speedo and the skirt were kind of a shock to the senses. You had me smiling for another two miles after I saw you.

Didn't see you on the third lap. I guess you were off signing up for 2012?  ;>)

Mike

I had a late Friday night, and then after 13.5 hours of being at the race, I started to crash pretty quickly at 8ish. I had others with me that car pooled with me and had to get them home still!. Otherwise I would of stayed out there till I crashed and just slept in the bushes. Watching all of y'all race was great! Everyone looked good and determined!
Thanks for your support Steve, it was awesome. Pass on my thanks to William as well. I hollered at you guys briefly, I needed to preserve my oxygen!
2011-05-23 11:14 PM
in reply to: #3513292

User image

Pro
Evanston,

smilford - 2011-05-23 9:12 AM Spectating an ironman is hardwork! I'm still sore! I hula'd my butt off... Sorry for anyone who didn't need to see a guy in a speedo, and a grass skirt at that point in their race. I had a blast though!

YOU GUYS WERE BT'ers???  I saw some hula folk in S'bux before the race & chit-chatted.  Was that y'all?

2011-05-23 11:55 PM

User image

New user

The Woodlands, Texas

First & foremost - congratulations to everyone who competed this weekend - YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!

I had the opportunity to volunteer through most of the day.  Started at swim start (ended up being a bust but I got to hang out by the water and see y'all start!) then finished the rest of my day at bike aide station #9 (about mile 94).  It was amazing seeing each athlete cycle their heart out, all the way down to the last gentleman who passed us at 5:00pm!! The excitement from the volunteers combined with the ambition and determination of the athletes makes you want to sign up tomorrow (too long for me, but inspired for my future sprints!).  Water was definitely the beverage of choice and I even had the privilege of handing off to Chris Lieto!!

Again, congrats to everyone!!  You rock!!

My only regret - not getting a pic with Mirinda Carfrae when I walked passed her (so close I could have touched her!!) in the AM prior to the swim start.  She was just hanging out then minutes later I saw her walk off with Tim.  Still kicking myself!!

Edited by adkuch 2011-05-23 11:56 PM
2011-05-24 8:20 AM
in reply to: #3512949

User image

Queen BTich
fattyfatfat - 2011-05-22 11:08 PM

Comet - 2011-05-22 1:19 PM
fattyfatfat - 2011-05-22 1:34 AMbrutal day for me all around. 
was that you who went to the RWB station to get me help? The person called me "comet", I think, and I was not of functional mind. :/

that was me.  you ok? 

I'm pretty sad, but I'm not dead so I've got that going for me. The medics (and Kurt) put me in the ambulance and I got 2 breathing treatments, some steroids. Refused the ER so they took me to race medical where I got treated more. I shouldn't have gone so long like that, but we all just have it drilled into our heads to 'keep going...' Once I realized the ambulance had the drugs I needed and knew I wouldn't die, my night was filled with many tears and disappointment. However, one learns from every race and I am fortunate enough to have a 'next time'. Many people serve our country and don't come home, or have lost their personal freedom due to injuries. There is another day! Again, Thank You. I don't think you know what that little act did. NO ONE else stopped to ask, all the aid stations before that let me keep going. It seems that when someone sees someone hurt, or in distress, they get scared. Many people kept walking.

7.  The RWB team is truly one of a kind....I feel honored to have worked with them.   If only an ounce of their passion, work ethic and patriotism rubbed off on me this weekend, I'm a helluva a lot better guy now.  Thanks you guys for setting such a high bar in how you approach life...it gives the rest of us the inspiration to follow your lead and believe in something greater than ourselves....

Thank YOU for volunteering and I'm glad you had a good time. Reading this means so much. We're growing and hopefully next years aid station will be better. I have some grand ideas for it, hopefully I'll be able to come back and work it as well.

If you'd like more information on the team, or if you would like to be put in contact with a Veteran, or veteran's family in your area, let me know. It's about building relationships and there are plenty of ways to keep giving back.  

2011-05-24 8:45 AM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
2011-05-24 10:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Plano, TX
I had a great time!!

I'll have to complete my race report here soon but:

1) Swim: Was way less contact than I imagined it would be. Took it easy and it seemed like a breeze. That canal is GROSS, felt like I was eating mud from all the silt being stirred up.

2) Bike: Was not able to stomach the Perform well on race day even though no issues prior. Had to slow down some to let some calories digest but just reminded myself there is no finish line at the end of the bike - only one at the end of the race. Just got it done feeling good.

Oh and knowing I still had a slog coming, somewhere around here I thought 'yeah, I have no need to ever do this again. I'll stick to Half IM.'

3) Run: Knew this would be hard for me. But knew my supporters would keep me going! Mile 1-9- Felt decent, kept it in check. Mile 10 -a nauseous moment so slowed down some (hottest part of the day now that I think about it). Mile 14-18 - Despair. This was gonna take FOREVER and my stomach would NOT come around. Mile 18-26 - Second wind! Felt tired, but ok and just kept moving forward mostly jogging.

The Finish line is AMAZING.

The Volunteers and Spectators were also amazing. Team RWB station rocked! If I'd had the energy I'd have given each spectator and volunteer a huge hug. They meant the world to me.

CONGRATS EVERYONE WHO TOWED THE LINE!!!

Jen
2011-05-24 10:23 AM
in reply to: #3515578

Master
Montgomery, Tx
g_shotts - 2011-05-24 8:45 AM

A link to enhanced race results is posted on ST:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Downloads/EnhancedResults/IM_Texas_2011_EnhancedResults.xls

pretty cool numbers.  Thanks for posting

2011-05-24 11:41 AM
in reply to: #3514317

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Woodlands/Magnolia, TX.
smilford - 2011-05-23 2:46 PM

Steve,

Didn't see you on the third lap. I guess you were off signing up for 2012?  ;>

Mike

yo stephen....you're famous!!!!  check out the video at around 7min and 10-20seconds. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx6PZJBeQ6w

2011-05-24 12:13 PM
in reply to: #3514965

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kingwood, TX

dodgersmom - 2011-05-23 9:15 PM Same question as Jeff about pre-paid pics.  I sent an e-mail to the company yesterday but have not heard back.  Seems they are not US based as it is an international number

Hey Marcy,  Hope the recovery is going well (-:

Have you heard anything back from them?  I sent an email as well and no reply yet?

Jeff

2011-05-24 12:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kingwood, TX

I finished up my Race Report last night with a TON of pics.  Click HERE if you want to check it out!

Jeff

2011-05-24 12:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Has anyone been able to preview their video?  Or has anyone purcased it - how long is it?  I don't want to purchase it without a preview.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Texas Rss Feed  

of 110