BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 121

2010-09-20 1:20 PM
in reply to: #2769226

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
Subject: RE: Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED!
What to do?.....

I am doing an Olympic distance race in FL in November.  I was supposed to do it last year but life got in the way.  Last year I had planned to ship my bike but now I am wondering if it would be better to rent one.  I really would like to have my tri bike at the race since the course is perfect for that bike but the cost and hassle of shipping it has me wondering. I have spoken to one bike shop that could rent me a P2.  Cervelo's are a bit long for me so I don't know how well it would fit. And what if the bike gets damaged? (something I need to ask the shop).  If it was a HIM I definately would ship my bike. 
Any opinions or thoughts would be appreciated. I am on the fence with this.
Thanks!

2010-09-20 1:42 PM
in reply to: #3105489

User image

Master
Dunedin
Kath2163 - 2010-09-17 9:40 PM  Hi All,

I have a few questions for all of you Ironmen, anyone who has been at the start line of an Ironman and anyone who has signed up for one.

1.)  I started racing when I was 24-ish and after the first two years I said I would do an IM by the time I hit 30.  Just kind of a bucket list thing, to see if I really could do that distance.  I thought after my first sprint tri that there was no way in the world my azz could run 26 miles alone, even without a swim and bike before hand!! 

2.) Lake Placid was the closest IM to where I lived, I figured it'd be less expensive to pick the closer course.  Of course I feared the hills, but I'm a cheap skate and decided I would suck it up and do the training for hills.

3.)  I volunteered to get a better shot at race entry, but the other girl from my hometown was lucky enough to sign up online.  She had a different race day experience and experience leading up to the race because she had never seen it in action before. I was humbled by the opportunity to do an Ironman because of my volunteering experience.   Volunteering isn't as emotional as racing, but it's damn close.  At least it was since I was in the women's T2 tent and I witness what was going on with those athletes before their marathon.

4.)  No coach. I did a lot of training with at least one other person.  I also did a lot of training on my own.  For a 2-3 hour run I don't care if I'm by myself or with someone else, but for a 6 hour bike ride you better believe I'd prefer having someone with me in eyeshot.

You never know what you can accomplish until you try!!!! =)

2010-09-20 1:48 PM
in reply to: #3108204

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Kath2163 - 2010-09-20 2:20 PM What to do?.....

I am doing an Olympic distance race in FL in November.  I was supposed to do it last year but life got in the way.  Last year I had planned to ship my bike but now I am wondering if it would be better to rent one.  I really would like to have my tri bike at the race since the course is perfect for that bike but the cost and hassle of shipping it has me wondering. I have spoken to one bike shop that could rent me a P2.  Cervelo's are a bit long for me so I don't know how well it would fit. And what if the bike gets damaged? (something I need to ask the shop).  If it was a HIM I definately would ship my bike. 
Any opinions or thoughts would be appreciated. I am on the fence with this.
Thanks!

That is a tough one, but I would rather have my own bike if I can.  Other wise I guess it would depend on how much help you would get from the bike shop getting it to fit you.   Maybe your race goals may also play into the equation as well.  Be careful, you wouldn't want an off season injury due to a poorly fitting bike.

2010-09-20 2:42 PM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
some of you have already commented (thanks) on my race report from this weekend.  Kudos to Fred for placing in his age group at the worlds hardest HIM.  And sympathies for me for having a complete meltdown out there Frown

If you read the report, I actually hope it encourages you.  I was having one of those dream seasons where everything just seemed to be going perfectly... and I got over-confident and paid the price big time.  A LOT of people "slower than me" crossed that line way in front of me yesterday.  It also has a few lessons in it about race execution (or in my case, mis-execution).

I didn't link to it here because I didn't want to be quite so self-serving (hey, look at me... post on my race report!!!! Innocent)... but it's easily accessible from my logs.
2010-09-20 3:06 PM
in reply to: #3108430

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
Josh,

I read your race report and I can't help but wonder why someone didn't ask a volunteer or someone else to get a medical person to check you out while you were on the course.  I am not placing blame at all just curious. I haven't experienced seeing someone that bad off (yet) but I think if I did it would scare me enough to tell someone.
2010-09-20 4:48 PM
in reply to: #3108430

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2010-09-20 5:11 PM

2010-09-20 5:15 PM
in reply to: #3108704

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

PennState - 2010-09-20 4:11 PM btw I tried to comment on your RR Josh, but all the replies are not showing for some raeson?

I just posted something in "site support" regarding that exact issue. 

2010-09-20 5:42 PM
in reply to: #3108712

Master
Redlands, CA
Kath2163 - 2010-09-20 3:15 PM

PennState - 2010-09-20 4:11 PM btw I tried to comment on your RR Josh, but all the replies are not showing for some raeson?

I just posted something in "site support" regarding that exact issue. 

Same here.

BTW Kathleen, there's no way I'd ever rent a bike for a race.  You could take a look at tribiketransport, and I think there's a few other companies that transport bikes as well.
2010-09-21 5:15 AM

2010-09-21 12:32 PM

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
Hi everyone! I'm still here, just have been very very busy and haven't had a chance to post. Congrats Fred and Josh on Savageman. Way to push through on a tough course!

I'm still in the midst of marathon training and really having a great time so far. This week I'll be up to a 12-14 mile long run and I'm comfortably running 4x a week and pushing up above 25 mpw for the first time ever. Tonight we have a coach-administered LT test at the track (30 minute test) to determine our heart rate zones. This will be my first time training with heart rate and I'm curious to see how it goes.

Hope everyone enjoys the first few days of fall!

2010-09-21 1:36 PM
in reply to: #3108499

Master
Millersville, MD
Kath2163 - 2010-09-20 4:06 PM Josh,

I read your race report and I can't help but wonder why someone didn't ask a volunteer or someone else to get a medical person to check you out while you were on the course.  I am not placing blame at all just curious. I haven't experienced seeing someone that bad off (yet) but I think if I did it would scare me enough to tell someone.

TONS of people asked me if I was okay - racers and spectators.  I even vaguely remember a race volunteer telling other race personnel "watch him" as I ran by (after one of those times where I lost my balance).  To finish was such a default response for me, that I told everyone "I'm okay" without thinking about it.
2010-09-21 4:01 PM

2010-09-21 4:02 PM
in reply to: #3110067

2010-09-21 7:29 PM
in reply to: #3110067

Expert
Congrats Fred and Josh on Savageman. Way to push through on a tough course!

X2!

I too am back from a long absence. I was either on vacation...working in the field for work...and then did not have internet at my house....and thenI guess i had somewhat of a post-IM blues type depression for a little while where i was rather unmotivated and not really liking triathlon...and most other things actually.  Well i think i am slowely coming back and refinding my passion for this sport and life in general.

Anyway...great job everyone and keep it up. Ya'll continue to impress me!
2010-09-22 6:01 AM

2010-09-22 1:21 PM
in reply to: #3111305

Master
Redlands, CA
PennState - 2010-09-22 4:01 AM Thanks guys! It has been a busy tri year for us all. In the next few weeks I'm sure we will all wander away from the group a bit as it's natural to do this near the end of the season. Likely there will be new mentor groups starting soon. Ken has run them before and I have strongly encouraged Josh to do this as well. BT is a neat little community where people actually help each other without 'compensation' etc. Something I really like

Its been a privlegde to learn from you and everyone else in this group!

Edited by furiousferret 2010-09-22 1:26 PM
2010-09-22 1:26 PM
in reply to: #3110968

Master
Redlands, CA
dharris13 - 2010-09-21 5:29 PM
Congrats Fred and Josh on Savageman. Way to push through on a tough course!

X2!

I too am back from a long absence. I was either on vacation...working in the field for work...and then did not have internet at my house....and thenI guess i had somewhat of a post-IM blues type depression for a little while where i was rather unmotivated and not really liking triathlon...and most other things actually.  Well i think i am slowely coming back and refinding my passion for this sport and life in general.

Anyway...great job everyone and keep it up. Ya'll continue to impress me!

Sorry to hear about your depression but I think its a normal and common thing.  Maybe the mind needs a break as much as the body does?  Glad to see you're coming back and starting to enjoy things, I really think the 'post-IM' depression' has alot to do with the letdown of a big goal, not so much that you didn't achieve, but that the journey is over.

Maybe set a goal for something else?  It doesn't have to be IM or even tri, just something to set your sights on.
2010-09-22 2:02 PM
in reply to: #3111305

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
PennState - 2010-09-22 5:01 AM Thanks guys! It has been a busy tri year for us all. In the next few weeks I'm sure we will all wander away from the group a bit as it's natural to do this near the end of the season. Likely there will be new mentor groups starting soon. Ken has run them before and I have strongly encouraged Josh to do this as well. BT is a neat little community where people actually help each other without 'compensation' etc. Something I really like

I have had a great time being part of this group. You all have offered great advice, helped me purchase my tri bike and provided encouragement and support. On top of that, following everyone in their races and cheering them on has been really fun!  I hope this group continues, however informally that might be.
Thanks to all of you!
2010-09-22 2:03 PM
in reply to: #3105489

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI
Kath2163 - 2010-09-17 8:40 PM  Hi All,

I have a few questions for all of you Ironmen, anyone who has been at the start line of an Ironman and anyone who has signed up for one.

1.)  When did you decide that you wanted to do an Ironman?  Was it your goal from the start or did the interest evolve as you became more involved in triathlons?

I have watched the Ironman Kona coverage on TV forever and always thought to myself, I want to do that someday.  But what really got me motivated was watching two friends complete IMWI a few years back.  This got me officially hooked on Tris.  I decided to do a HIM the following year knowing full well this would lead to an Ironman in the future. 

2.) How did you decide which race to do?

Pretty easy for me, IMWI is about 14 miles from my house, door to door.

3.)  It seems that these races are hard to get into.  I keep reading about people volunteering and signing up the next day. Do volunteers have the opportunity to sign up before it is open to the rest of the population?

Yes the races can be hard to get into.  I volunteered at IMWI last year and was able to sign up prior to the rest of the population.  They also have in person sign-up for those who did not volunteer prior to putting it on the internet.  If your quick/lucky you can still sign up on the internet. 

4.)  Do/did you train alone or with a group? Did/do you have a coach?

I trained both alone and with others.  I work with several bikers and I did numerous group rides as part of my training.  This helps to break up the monotomy somewhat.  95% of my runs were by myself.  I did not use a coach or a formal plan.  Went with my basic knowledge of training and understanding how my body recovers and went from there.  I'm sure a coach would have been able to get more out of me.  Factor of cost vs. benefit.

I think about these questions (especially when I read about all of your adventures and watch people cross the finish line of an Ironman race) and figured I would ask.  Hope you don't mind.

Have a great weekend!

2010-09-22 2:09 PM
in reply to: #3112364

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
Thanks again everyone for responding to my questions. I really enjoy reading your answers!

2010-09-22 2:30 PM
in reply to: #3096281

Master
Chicago
I just wanted to thank you guys for tracking me and making me feel included even though I haven't been a very active group member. IMOO was amazing! and yes... I DNF'ed at mile 133.6 missing the 10:30pm cut-off by 3 minutes.

Basically it ended up being a combination of some HR issues early on the bike and later back pain issues on the run that did me in. That's the chance you take I guess when you're closer to cut-off times, but I don't regret it all for one moment! I loved this year of training.

I'll post a link to the race report when I finish it. I'll be back there next year to finish up business at IMOO.

As the group winds down I hope to still get to get to know some of you better via your training blogs.

-Debb
2010-09-22 3:38 PM

Pro
Canandaigua NY

I know some of you are heading into your off season and maybe taking a little break from BT.  I can certainly understand that!  All of the mentor groups I have been involved with have been great for different reasons.  This one has because of the experience and knowledge offered for long course racing.  Thank you one and all for sharing your knowledge and experience.  Fred, you have been an outstanding mentor and have lead this group superbly!  Thank You!!!

Debb, speaking as a mentor, don't be shy.  Even if you drop off the grid for a bit, just jump back in.  Good luck as you continue your journey to becoming an Ironman!  You will reach that goal next September!

A couple of us still have a month or so left to our races, so I will probably drop a question or a comment on my training every now and then! 

2010-09-22 4:20 PM
in reply to: #3112452

2010-09-22 6:53 PM
in reply to: #3112740

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI

PennState - 2010-09-22 4:20 PM
IdealMuse - 2010-09-22 3:30 PM I just wanted to thank you guys for tracking me and making me feel included even though I haven't been a very active group member. IMOO was amazing! and yes... I DNF'ed at mile 133.6 missing the 10:30pm cut-off by 3 minutes. Basically it ended up being a combination of some HR issues early on the bike and later back pain issues on the run that did me in. That's the chance you take I guess when you're closer to cut-off times, but I don't regret it all for one moment! I loved this year of training. I'll post a link to the race report when I finish it. I'll be back there next year to finish up business at IMOO. As the group winds down I hope to still get to get to know some of you better via your training blogs. -Debb
I hope to get a chance to meet up with you at IMMOO in 2011. I suspect you will be serving up some significant vengence to that course

I will be serving up some IM perform or powergels at an aid station

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 121