BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Southwestmba/Andy's excellent adventure group-Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2011-07-02 9:57 AM
in reply to: #3287331

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Subject: RE: Southwestmba/Andy's excellent adventure group-Full
My normal Saturday routine got messed up the weekend since there were no cycling classes since it was the July 4th weekend, of course I don't remember anyone mentioning that last week. But since I was at the Y I went to the pool and had good enough timing to be be able to join the Master's Swim Team for there Saturday morning workout. I am a pretty weak swimmer, particularly when it come to stroke other than freestyle, but it never hurts to swim with a group. So of course the main sets were Individual medley ladders. I was at least smart enough to get in the slow group so most everyone had issues with the butterfly too, but wow that stroke makes me feel so uncordinated. Everything else was find but the fly was just plain ugly. But I got through it and met a few more local triathletes as well, and got in a good unexpected workout. Stay flexible and go with the flow. Triathlon give you alot of options when it comes to training.

Andy

2011-07-02 10:02 AM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
I tried to explain in my blog why I did 3 races in 8 days and 3 HIMs in 5 weeks and how I was able to get it done with the help of Ultragen and my Recovery Pump.

http://andyrosebrook.blogspot.com/2011/06/im-not-crazy-really-i-hav...

Andy
2011-07-02 10:07 AM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Here is another great deal from SBR Sports, one of Team Trakkers Sponsors. 40% Off.

Happy 4th from SBR Sports, Inc.! To celebrate the Holiday SBR will be offering the 40% discount for the ENTIRE Holiday Weekend!! Just go to www.sbrsportsinc.com or www.triswimbeauty.com and apply this discount code at checkout: SUMMER711 for 40% off TRISWIM, TRISLIDE and FOGGLE. This code expires 11:59 PM on the 4th of July.

Andy
2011-07-02 10:14 AM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Another blog post I came up with after a long and very busy week. Marketing to Triathletes 101.

http://andyrosebrook.blogspot.com/2011/07/marketing-to-triathletes....

Andy
2011-07-02 11:21 AM
in reply to: #3578155

Regular
This desire to push ourselves, it's definitely a quality we all share and that's what makes the multisport community so cool, we all have this common thread! I scheduled a triathlon this upcoming July 10th because it seemed to fit into my calendar year of events but only recently found out the run part is a beast; my first impression was 'oh-oh', followed quite shortly by 'cool!'
2011-07-02 1:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Luis Obispo County, CA
I was wondering what a recovery pump was.  Very interesting.  

2011-07-04 11:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Happy 4th to everyone!

Today's workout involved riding along with the Tour de France.  At about half the speed, but somehow I always managed to keep with the Peloton...  I always enjoy watching the Tour every year, and it was a good way to spend the morning getting my training in.

Edited by hip82 2011-07-04 11:31 AM
2011-07-04 1:08 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
I don't know what is worse: The fact that there is a hot dog eating contest with about 40,000 spectators and being televised on ESPN 2 or the that that I am actually watching it and somewhat entertained. Joey Chestnut won for the 5th straight year with 62 dogs in 10 min. About 18,000 calories in 10 minute and the quote afterwards ,"Tastes pretty good!" I was also rooting for the guy in 4th place who is from Royersford, PA where I live.

What a way to earn $10,000. Same Prize money as most Ironman Events. Think about it.

I'm with Tom! Every July I become a Tour De France junkie. I was total pissed last year that the hotel I was at didn't carry Versus and I missed the the big mountain stages. I like to tape some of those epic stages and use them in the off season to help me though those trainer sessions in the middle of winter.

Andy
2011-07-04 10:50 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
After watching the Nathan's hot dog eating contest, I decided I needed to go for a run. If you know your are going race in the hot weather or the hottest point of the day, you really need to do some training in that weather. When you do an ironman you will be running at the hottest point of the day as well so today was training for that. I did a 10 mile loop at 3:00pm with about 900 ft of climbing. Later in the day, I brought my son to his XC off season running and met the coach and did another 4 miles before heading ot to see some fireworks. So I ended up running 14 miles today when I planned basically a day off.

Andy
2011-07-05 9:02 AM

Wow - 62 hot dogs in 10 minutes?! Makes my stomach churn - can't (and really don't want to) imagine what that might feel like. Ug.

Although sadly enough it makes some sense that event might pay as well as an ironman winnings... Americans have an appetite for watching short, to the point stuff... like 10 minutes of a bunch of people stuffing themselves with mystery meat. And so advertisers will pay for that of course! Yet things like Tour de France, soccer, Ironman competitions... all very long events and apparently too hard to market to the masses. Especially those who dream of competing in a hot dog eating contest some day! heh

Anyhow.

On my taper week per the plan... next event is another sprint tri this Sunday the 10th. I'm feeling very much ready to finish, yet somehow (maybe as the days get hotter) I don't feel as fast as I did a month ago. My goal is to complete in 1 1/2 hours... I'm pretty sure my swim will be fine and Garmin Connect says my bike speed is slightly increasing week over week. I guess it's the run that feels the same or slower.

I did get more (albeit repetitive... and therefore I assume good) advice on running... keep forward to strike near the ball (or even think toes!). That seems to have increased my cadence from about 82 up to 86. And definitely did speed me up - my first mile has now been at about a 7:28 pace (vs. my previous best training run of about 8:06 - but who's watching). Yet two other things happened... first, my calves are tight tight tight. Even after stretching. And secondly, my next couple miles slow down... and my overall pace drops back to an 8:30 or 9 minute mile. I think it's time for some serious yoga. And more practice... hopefully I'll be able to work into this new form before my last (planned) event in mid August & keep on my toes for the entire 5k!?

2011-07-06 8:29 PM

Regular
I have a sprint tri coming up on the 10th too, bl; I already checked, we're not doing the same one. In mine it looks like it's going to be too warm for wetsuits; my question is are we faster with just tri trunks and going topless or are the tri outfits designed to make us go fast while swimming and hence it would behoove me to wear my tri top as well? FYI, the suit is a 2XU MT1777B 

2011-07-07 9:56 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Most tri tops aren't designed for hydrodynamics, like a wetsuit. However, wearing your tri top does save you a step in T1 and puting a dry, tight fitting top on a wet body is always a pain, so typically will go with the top for that reason. At Eagleman, I went topless since I was going to wear a cycling jersey for the bike since it was a long leg and I wanted more pocket space.

There are speed suits which are designed for (obviously) speed in the water, and they are like a one piece tri suit but most folks strip them off in T1 since they don't breathe very well. I never was a good enough swimmer to justify buying a speed suit.

Good luck to everyone this weekend. I've had a pretty big milage week (for me) and although my PF still lets me know its still there, I have been able to manage it well and its not hurting much except first thing in the morning getting out of bed. So I'm starting to feel better about Ironman Canada in late August.

Andy
2011-07-09 11:11 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Funny how you can get sentamental about selling some old gear. Yes thats why, I found another use for my mighty Specialized Allez Elite. My very first road bike which took me though my first Olympic, HIM, and 4 Ironmans was the only bike at Kona without aerobars (someone said she was mentioned in the Triathlon magazine gear rundown that year). So even though I finally upgraded to a Carbon Fiber TT bike (My Kestral Talon Tri SL), I found a permenant spot on the computrainer for the Specialized rather than sell her.

My first wetsuit; however, found a new home this week. I bought a Blue Seventy Sleeveless wetsuit after my first two HIMS. It always kicked my butt getting it off but it clearly made me faster and accompanied me thru 10 HIMs and 4 Ironmans (Kona was non wetsuit), but this year I upgraded to a TYR Hurricane Cat 5 full suit. But my old wetsuit helped one of the lady's in my office get over some apprehension and complete her first triathlon in June (a wetsuit is a great security blanket to a newbie swimmer so I let her borrow my wetsuit) and on Friday I sold it too her. I am glad my old wetsuit will help another triathlete get into our great sport.

But don't even ask about buying my old bike!!!! A bike with 4 ironman stickers is priceless!

Andy
2011-07-10 11:12 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
What a fun weekend! My AC died and the wonderfull home warrenty service I bought couldn't get someone out here Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. The Fan in the unit outside is just humming and not spinning, not a good thing (highly technical term there). Fortunately it is covered, so Yeah home warranty, but I'm (well actually my wife) still going to tear into someone since noone could even return a phone call yet Friday-Monday. Bottom line it was nasty hot inside my house all weekend. Then on Saturday afternoon the garage door get hung up and jams midway. Again can't get anyone to come look at it till Monday (But at least this guy did tell me that up front so I didn't have to wait around for a call back which wouldn't come. I freed it up, and got it open but I think the track got bent up and one of the roller jumped the track. At least I can get in and out of the garage.

So today, I did the yardwork, pulling weeds, mowing the lawn, edging, and trimming early and it was a scorcher even by 9:30am. So I was very surprised to discover how nice it was when I was taking out the garbage, and took it as a sign to get in a sunsetter 10K while it was actually nice out. Felt great to break a stressful weekend and do a nice run through the countryside. Cranked up the effort a bit on the way back with the hills, and got alot of comments from the passing cars ( some mean and some actually flatering), but I was flowing along nicely and felt good. My workouts on Saturday morning and Sunday evening were quite theriputic this weekend. Nice way to end an ugly weekend.

Hope everyone else had a better weekend!

Andy
2011-07-11 8:38 PM

Regular

I had a great weekend, although from the results of my event you might not think so.

As previously mentioned, I participated in the Ann Arbor Triathlon Sunday. It is a 880 yard swim, 14 mile bike, and 5 mile run, but both the bike and the run are quite hilly and the run is conducted on a trail. I knew this would be a challenging event and one I did not take lightly. My goal was to finish, obviously, but also compete against my efforts in training and the results of the only other outdoor tri I had done. That said I truly did not expect to do so poorly against the field; I finished last in my age group and 249th out of 258.

I considered posting my race report, but it would be a waste of your time scanning it for info; I’ll provide a synopsis of my event instead.

My strongest suit is the swim, or at least I thought it was; suddenly I’ve lost the ability to swim straight. I do my training in a pool with lanes, but I didn’t realize how dependent I was on the black line at the bottom of it. Between the extra distance I swam due to veering, and the need to constantly sight, I swam very slow; since I’ve started swimming distances over 1000 yards, this is probably the worst swim I have done. I ended up being 18 out of 18 in this leg.

I need to physically practice my transitions. I visualize them some but that is clearly not enough. One thing I didn’t consider is how foggy my mind gets after the swim or bike, does this get better with experience? I forgot to start my watches, I forgot to tighten up my shoes, I wasn’t very efficient at what I needed to do. Even the beginners would comment on what a newb I am.

The bike leg was a beast; I was ready for the volume of the ride, but not the intensity of doing the hill climbs. I had no experience with hills and suffered penalties due to the slow agonizing climb I put myself through because I didn’t know how to climb the hills. By the 5th mile I learned to attack them and started doing okay, I think. I finished 16th out of 18 in my age group.

My thighs were toast for the beginning of the run, but as the run went on, they improved. It was when I arrived at the first inclines/declines that I noticed my shoes were loose; I forgot to tighten my speedlaces in transition. It turned out to be a non issue though as I decided I not to ‘race’ through the trail; between the inclines and declines, the sand, rocks, and roots, as well as the fatigue I already felt in my legs, I settled for not stopping or walking the trail portion and live to run –healthy- another day. In many places of the trail my pace wouldn't of been much different had I been racing; several of the inclines were quite challenging and serious effort was needed to maintain a pace resembling a run. I'm not much of a groaner, but the sight of yet another hill in the later miles got me moaning. I completed the run portion in good style though, picking up the pace as I entered the recreation area and running down the hill to the finish. I ran my ‘kick’ at a 5:20 per mile clip over the last 375 yards, I thought that was pretty decent.

In terms of competing against myself I will give me good grades in the bike and run, in both cases due to my legs. I put in good effort training my legs with solid bricks at home and I felt it paid off in the event. While I hadn't trained for the intensity of the hills, I thought my legs held up well, and performed well. Actually, it was my upper body that was hurting most in the later miles of the run; my rib cage, shoulder blades, and arms were all aching more than my legs were, I thought that odd considering my legs were doing all the work. The swim was a major disappointment, I never expected the troubles I had; it's back to the drawing board there. I read somewhere that swimming with your eyes closed in the pool may help, anyone have any other suggestions?

I was certain the folks who signed up for this Sprint were not beginners and I knew the course would be challenging but I sorely underestimated both. Despite my disappointment with how it panned out, I am still happy I went. It was a good experience, I learned a lot and I plan to go back to the area and bike the bike route or do bricks on the road; I know this will help me train for future events. I’m going to leave the trails to the hikers and mountain bikers, though.

2011-07-13 7:09 PM

Congrats on your tri, Phaethon! At the end of the day all that matters is that you did your best and it sounds like you met your expectations?

I haven't posted my results yet either... finished a scuba class immediately after the event, then packed for a trip (which I'm on right now - in Boulder Colorado). Hopefully will find time this weekend to get the report up. In summary my overall goal was 90 minutes - and I hit 88 and 6 seconds - success on that goal. My second goal was to exceed 20mph on the hilly bike course... and was at 20.6mph - goal 2 also a success. However I burned my legs on the bike I think - and my run was very slow. No 5:20 per mile for me at any point!?!

Anyhow - good event, good weather, and very happy with my effort and results. Now off to continue learning how to run. :-)

2011-07-14 10:02 AM
in reply to: #3595437

Regular
blhotka - 2011-07-13 8:09 PM

Congrats on your tri, Phaethon! At the end of the day all that matters is that you did your best and it sounds like you met your expectations?

I haven't posted my results yet either... finished a scuba class immediately after the event, then packed for a trip (which I'm on right now - in Boulder Colorado). Hopefully will find time this weekend to get the report up. In summary my overall goal was 90 minutes - and I hit 88 and 6 seconds - success on that goal. My second goal was to exceed 20mph on the hilly bike course... and was at 20.6mph - goal 2 also a success. However I burned my legs on the bike I think - and my run was very slow. No 5:20 per mile for me at any point!?!

Anyhow - good event, good weather, and very happy with my effort and results. Now off to continue learning how to run. :-)

Thanks for the reply bl (hint, hint ) in retrospect I'm happy and looking forward to what's coming up so I guess I consider the Ann Arbor Tri a success.

Grats on your tri as well, it sounds like it was a success; achieving goals is definitely preferred over not reaching them, a stark contrast in mood! 20.6 on the bike course, good for you! I averaged like 17.something; early on, still in a fog from getting out of the water and not employing a good strategy  on some of those hills really brought my average down. I remember desperately clicking the gear shift at times hoping that I hadn't reached the granny gear yet! On the downhills I reached into the low 30's so you could imagine the struggles I must of had to drop my average to 17.
Oh no, I hardly imagine I could keep a 5:20 pace up for a whole mile; that wasn't even a quarter mile. I have been working on my finishing kicks at home, which was challenging considering they come at the tail end of a brick in some hot weather, and was rewarded with the best 'kick time' of all my training bricks.

Good luck with your running! I just started my 8 week training for an Oly September 18th; actually I am repeating the first two weeks so it's a 10 week course. I have 2 "B" events scheduled in between; it makes me smile when I think of that, I have "B" events!

Good luck with things the rest of the year!
2011-07-14 11:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Excellent report Phae.  From my back of the pack perspective, this was a really great race for you.  You learned about sighting on the swim.  You gained some experience on transitions.  You learned that there are some really tough hills out there.  And mostly, you're thinking about how it relates to your training.  All good info for us to digest.  I'l bet if you put all that into practice, your upcoming races will go a lot better.  And if you go back next year, you'll kick butt on the course.

2011-07-16 12:43 AM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Hi everyone! Been a busy week for me so I haven't check the blog in a while. I spent the first half of the week at Susquehanna watching them start up and do acceptance testing for some new equipment. Of course thanks to the weather and the load on the grid, they had to do all that testing in the middle of the night when load was lower. Made for a lot of time on site. Did manage to get some running in and a few ride on the stationary bike at the hotel.

Today I flew to Omaha Nebraska and will get to provide swing shift 24/7coverage at the Fort Calhoun plant. After hitting the plant and being blown away by the flooding this part of the country is still seeing. Got back to the hotel and promptly passed out on the bed, so no workout but Friday typically is a day off so I chaulk it up to listening to my body. But I've got 74 TV channels in my hotel and no VS (so no TDF). Not thrilled about that one bit.

One the flip side 45 days till IMC.

Great job at the races last weekend! Trail running can be a blast but it does pound your body in a different way that your used to so don't worry about that too much. Hills are what makes cycling a challenge and you have to work at them, and they can make that run off the bike alot more interesting. So you got to try and anticipate that and know that the run after a hilly ride isn't going to be quite as fast.

Andy
2011-07-16 6:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I was in Nebraska a couple of weeks ago.  Seeing the flooding and all the barriers really brings home how powerful mother nature can be.

I always find traveling really throws my training off.  You get a lot of respect from me how you manage to keep it going.

2011-07-16 8:10 AM
in reply to: #3596383

Regular
hip82 - 2011-07-14 12:27 PM

Excellent report Phae.  From my back of the pack perspective, this was a really great race for you.  You learned about sighting on the swim.  You gained some experience on transitions.  You learned that there are some really tough hills out there.  And mostly, you're thinking about how it relates to your training.  All good info for us to digest.  I'l bet if you put all that into practice, your upcoming races will go a lot better.  And if you go back next year, you'll kick butt on the course.

Thanks hip! Yeah, the experience is invaluable, it's the 'pearl of wisdom' I've learned about in my short 'lifestyle adjustment' to triathlons. Of course there is the expected and immediate sense of accomplishment completing the race, but then follows a less expected sense of improvement mentally and physically. You found out what your weaknesses are and what to work on, you have a better sense of where you are and where you need to be. You know what to expect next time around; all this serves to develop the conviction and confidence that next time you WILL do better. That you are ALREADY better. Even if you didn't meet expectations, you made progress. An obvious example for me is my weight; I've done an indoor tri, a 5k, and two outdoor tri events this year and for each one I failed to meet my goal weight. Thing is, overall, I am losing weight; at the indoor tri back in February I weighed 227 lbs, for the Ann Arbor Tri I was down to 216. Today I'm at 211 so yeah that which does not kill us makes us stronger.

2011-07-21 2:51 AM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Wow what a couple of weeks. I've been doing a swing shift 4pm-12am plus its been excessessive heat warnings the entire time with heat indexs of 110-115 each day. Well that kept me indoors but fortunately the Marriot Omaha has a 24 hr health center. So I've been Working out for an hour (bike and run today) when I get back at 1:00am and then doing a run on treadmill before shift (12pm or 1 pm). Plus I get to hike around and tour/ monitor for flooding in the heat each day at work.

The things we do to keep in shape. Little over a month to Ironman Canada and every crazy week like this really does help get you prepared mentally and physically. Don't quite know what that race will bring but lets hope it isn't anywhere near this hot.

Andy
2011-07-22 8:25 PM

well, after a minor bike-related injury and some scheduling snafus with my training...first HIM of the season is in the bag.  i was disappointed in my performance, as it's my slowest time to date by over 30 minutes.  but i finished, and can only do better from here, right?  

race report:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=261883

2011-07-23 6:32 PM

Regular

Ah some time do something other than work, train, or sleep! After my last tri on the 10th I started an Oly training plan for an event in September and the volume of work has increased greatly. I can't do it in the time suggested but I do it. I get out of work, head to the gym (or in this case gyms, the fitness center is cleaning the pool so we are being sent to the UM-Flint pool to swim) and get home around 9pm. It's been a tiring week. I've managed to lose a little weight, like 3 pounds, and I improved my personal best in the 100 yard swim (1:38) and the mile run (7:48), so I do feel the work is paying off. I have a event on the 31st, the Island Lake of Novi Triathlon which is 880 swim, 12 mile bike, 3 mile run.

Grats ID for your event; did you sing the national anthem in front of everybody? Nice report!

2011-07-23 10:57 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Nice job IronDiva! I can't even imagine doing a HIM in this heat and humidity! Some days are just not meant to be PR days, (see my Eagleman Report from this year) but when you tough it out and get through it in a few days you'll have something to be proud of. At the very least you will have something to draw on during your next Ironman when the going gets rough there it likely won't be as rough as what you faced in this race.

Are you planning to do IM NYC in the next few years? Even though I don't like the idea of swimming in the Hudson, I think in would be hard to pass on such a close by Ironman, so I may join you up there if you do.

Andy
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Southwestmba/Andy's excellent adventure group-Full Rss Feed  

of 14