Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2008-06-03 5:28 PM
in reply to: #1441360

User image

Veteran
Washington , MO
Subject: RE: tcovert's Group - CLOSED

landon5108 - 2008-06-03 10:39 AM Hey guys good job on all the races this weekend.  Yall did a pretty killer job.  Sorry i have not posted or loged my work outs in a while.  I am have been packing and gettin ready for my Military training.  I am leaving thursday for Fort Lewis, Washington for some of my officer training.  I wont be back till July 8th so yall will not being hearing much from me.  But good luck with everyones training for the next month and cant wait to get back and start training again.  Good luck guys and gals.

Good luck to you Matt, hope your military training goes well. Keep in touch with us whenever you get the chance and let us know have everything's goin'. Stay healthy bro.

peace, John

2008-06-03 5:36 PM
in reply to: #1358169

User image

Veteran
Washington , MO
 Welp, i laid my road bike over for the first time since i've been riding it for over 1 year. 3 miles into my ride of a brick workout. Cruisin a flat at 21mph when i reached down to get a drink out of my waterbottle, thought i'd be cool and dodge a stick by going around it to the outer part of the trail, all whilst drinking at the same time. Blamo, tire dips over the asphalt and i went straight to the ground and kept sliding for a ways. My left side is rashed up pretty good at my ankle, knee,hip,elbow,and shoulder. Hip feels a little funny as well, not painful however. All in all i feel alright , and was able to finish my workout no problem. Just thought i'd share my experience even though it was a bit moronic on my part    
2008-06-03 6:06 PM
in reply to: #1442852

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
jcash683 - 2008-06-03 3:36 PM

Welp, i laid my road bike over for the first time since i've been riding it for over 1 year. 3 miles into my ride of a brick workout. Cruisin a flat at 21mph when i reached down to get a drink out of my waterbottle, thought i'd be cool and dodge a stick by going around it to the outer part of the trail, all whilst drinking at the same time. Blamo, tire dips over the asphalt and i went straight to the ground and kept sliding for a ways. My left side is rashed up pretty good at my ankle, knee,hip,elbow,and shoulder. Hip feels a little funny as well, not painful however. All in all i feel alright , and was able to finish my workout no problem. Just thought i'd share my experience even though it was a bit moronic on my part    

That's a lot less moronic and a lot more exciting than my usual tipping over at a light forgetting to unclip "crashes"...

Glad to hear there's apparently no real damage done...hope the road rash heals up quick!
2008-06-03 7:56 PM
in reply to: #1442852

User image

Expert
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
jcash683 - 2008-06-03 5:36 PM

Ouch!! Glad it wasn't worse, happpy healing!!! :P
2008-06-05 1:39 PM

User image

Overland Park, KS
Had a great workout at the gym today and just wanted to share it with you guys.  Trying to keep up with you all is certainly challenging me.  And I know... we're all training for different distances and we shouldn't compare... blah blah blah... but I'm a competitive person by nature.  Anyway - was trying to do 60 minutes on the stationary but I picked an interval hill workout on level 9 and it kicked my butt!  At 24 minutes I almost had myself talked into stopping at 30.  I then played mental games with myself to do one more hill, one more rest, one more mile, 50 more calories, etc.  I finally stopped at 50 minutes, 15.33 miles; 478 calories (although I don't wear a HRM).  SOOO worn out.  Ok, time to shower - yep - I had to come home and post this before I even showered - see how you guys motivate me Cool

Edited by run_carmen 2008-06-05 1:40 PM
2008-06-05 1:51 PM
in reply to: #1447721

User image

Elite
san francisco
run_carmen - 2008-06-05 11:39 AM

Had a great workout at the gym today and just wanted to share it with you guys.  Trying to keep up with you all is certainly challenging me.  And I know... we're all training for different distances and we shouldn't compare... blah blah blah... but I'm a competitive person by nature.  Anyway - was trying to do 60 minutes on the stationary but I picked an interval hill workout on level 9 and it kicked my butt!  At 24 minutes I almost had myself talked into stopping at 30.  I then played mental games with myself to do one more hill, one more rest, one more mile, 50 more calories, etc.  I finally stopped at 50 minutes, 15.33 miles; 478 calories (although I don't wear a HRM).  SOOO worn out.  Ok, time to shower - yep - I had to come home and post this before I even showered - see how you guys motivate me Cool

Way to go Carmen! So, saw your post re: the garmin 405. I have a 305 and love it...I didn't have a bike computer so I got the cadence sensor, too and it has been like a 2 in one deal of the century. Costco was having a special year end and had a $50 rebate, so altogether it was like $129 for the watch and hrm. I am not the most computer/tech savvy person but it was pretty easy to program.

I am currently in maintenance mode. No races on my schedule except a 10K on June 28th. My pool is closed til the 16th of this month. Open water is calling my name. Yikes....

Have a good week, group!

2008-06-05 3:35 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
run_carmen - 2008-06-05 11:39 AM

Hey, isn't that what we're here for?

Great job...18+ mph w/ hills...nice workout!

Edited by tcovert 2008-06-05 3:37 PM
2008-06-05 3:36 PM
in reply to: #1447762

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
kt65 - 2008-06-05 11:51 AM

Open water is calling my name. Yikes....

I wanna know what it sounds like: Seagulls? Seals? Dolphins? :P
2008-06-05 3:48 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
hmm...more like crows circling overhead...ca cawww...ca cawww!

I have this unreasonable fear of the ows. It is kind of ridiculous really. I asked my mom if something had happened to me when I was little and she said she couldn't think of anything.

Maybe not a "fear" but maybe a lack of confidence? I felt like I wasn't able to get enough air into my lungs when swimming in my tri. Not hyperventilating, I don't think, but everything felt kind of restricted. I don't want to over think this, but apparently I already have been. I guess I just need to do it more.

2008-06-05 4:23 PM
in reply to: #1448157

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
kt65 - 2008-06-05 1:48 PM

hmm...more like crows circling overhead...ca cawww...ca cawww!

I have this unreasonable fear of the ows. It is kind of ridiculous really. I asked my mom if something had happened to me when I was little and she said she couldn't think of anything.

Maybe not a "fear" but maybe a lack of confidence? I felt like I wasn't able to get enough air into my lungs when swimming in my tri. Not hyperventilating, I don't think, but everything felt kind of restricted. I don't want to over think this, but apparently I already have been. I guess I just need to do it more.

This is very common...I've seen much the same words used over and over on BT by people talking about their first OWS in a tri...I had the same experience in my first tri swim (ocean swim). Took me until about half the swim to settle down. I've been swimming in open water since I was very young (and in the ocean occasionally for about 19 years now), so it isn't necessarily related to background...definitely gets better with experience, but I still find my ocean training swims to be a little intimidating.
2008-06-05 4:24 PM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Nice workout Carmen! You've got a little competitive edge to you...I like it

2008-06-05 6:40 PM

User image

Ballantyne
run_carmen - 2008-06-05 1:39 PM

Shoot Carmen, I've posted right after a run before I even let my heart rate drop. Beat that! JK, now I have something to aim for on my trainer. I'm still trying to catch your swim times. I don't see anything wrong with friendly competition. I see it more as a goal to reach someone else's time. When I do catch that time, they usually have improved theirs. It's a fun game of chase. It's nice to see I'm not the only one that plays mental games to keep going. "If I can just do this I'll quit" and when I get there it's just a little further to the next minute or mile. and so on and so forth. Off to my swim!

Joe
2008-06-05 7:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Washington , MO

run_carmen - 2008-06-05 1:39 PM Had a great workout at the gym today and just wanted to share it with you guys.  Trying to keep up with you all is certainly challenging me.  And I know... we're all training for different distances and we shouldn't compare... blah blah blah... but I'm a competitive person by nature.  Anyway - was trying to do 60 minutes on the stationary but I picked an interval hill workout on level 9 and it kicked my butt!  At 24 minutes I almost had myself talked into stopping at 30.  I then played mental games with myself to do one more hill, one more rest, one more mile, 50 more calories, etc.  I finally stopped at 50 minutes, 15.33 miles; 478 calories (although I don't wear a HRM).  SOOO worn out.  Ok, time to shower - yep - I had to come home and post this before I even showered - see how you guys motivate me Cool

Carmen's getting hardcore, I love it! We're all a little competetive here, tis why we triathlon I'd say. Nice job kicking that stationary bikes butt! Your really looking good going into your tri event .

2008-06-05 7:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Washington , MO

Quick question here. My HIM is on June 29th. Would it be wise to do a sprint race on June 14th,     (500yd swim, 21mi bike, 5mi run)? I kinda wanna do the race, but i certainly don't want to mess up my HIM race. It's my first one and i'm not sure what to expect. To be honest i just wanna be able to finish the distance with a good effort throughout(no walking on the run) but if this sprint hinders my HIM race at all, i won't do it, no biggie. Maybe i'm overthinking this, just wanna be as ready as i can be come the 29th.  

By the by, if i do the sprint, i will give an all out race effort. Just wondering what some thoughts were on this.

peace, John

2008-06-05 8:33 PM
in reply to: #1448506

User image

Overland Park, KS
jcash683 - 2008-06-05 7:22 PM

Quick question here. My HIM is on June 29th. Would it be wise to do a sprint race on June 14th,     (500yd swim, 21mi bike, 5mi run)? I kinda wanna do the race, but i certainly don't want to mess up my HIM race. It's my first one and i'm not sure what to expect. To be honest i just wanna be able to finish the distance with a good effort throughout(no walking on the run) but if this sprint hinders my HIM race at all, i won't do it, no biggie. Maybe i'm overthinking this, just wanna be as ready as i can be come the 29th.  

By the by, if i do the sprint, i will give an all out race effort. Just wondering what some thoughts were on this.

peace, John

How long did it take until you felt "fully" recovered from the last sprint you did in Columbia?

2008-06-05 10:03 PM
in reply to: #1448595

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
run_carmen - 2008-06-05 6:33 PM

jcash683 - 2008-06-05 7:22 PM

peace, John

How long did it take until you felt "fully" recovered from the last sprint you did in Columbia?

Yeah, that's really the question.

That's a pretty long sprint--closer to an oly than a typical sprint distance--so take that into account. In general, you should be able to knock out that distance pretty readily as a workout at this point in your HIM prep, so the question is really about recovery.

2008-06-06 1:21 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Weekend's almost here...I think this was collectively the most miles logged by this group since we started. Good job!

I don't think we have anyone racing this weekend. Any one?

My wife and I are doing something on Sunday that we've never done before: A big organized cycling event (the LA River Ride). The event includes 10 mi., 50 mi, 70 mi, and 100 mi options...we're doing the 50. (It would be nice to say that you actually get to ride along the river the whole way, but, sadly, you don't.)

Any one else got big plans, training or otherwise, this weekend?

Have a safe and pleasant one, everybody!
2008-06-06 2:26 PM

User image

Expert
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Sounds like a great ride! I'm working until tonight until Sunday morning, but getting back into my training rhythm mond ay! Have a great weekend everybody!!
2008-06-06 5:38 PM
in reply to: #1450250

User image

Veteran
Washington , MO

tcovert - 2008-06-06 1:21 PM Weekend's almost here...I think this was collectively the most miles logged by this group since we started. Good job! I don't think we have anyone racing this weekend. Any one? My wife and I are doing something on Sunday that we've never done before: A big organized cycling event (the LA River Ride). The event includes 10 mi., 50 mi, 70 mi, and 100 mi options...we're doing the 50. (It would be nice to say that you actually get to ride along the river the whole way, but, sadly, you don't.) Any one else got big plans, training or otherwise, this weekend? Have a safe and pleasant one, everybody!

Going for my first OWS Sat, and long bike ride on Sunday. Weather permitting of course.

Have fun on your bike ride Todd. Large rides like that are a blast IMO.

Have a great weekend everyone.

2008-06-06 8:22 PM
in reply to: #1450851

User image

Overland Park, KS

Aiming for a good outside bike ride tomorrow and my usual long run Sunday morning - 6 miles with group.  After Sunday I'm starting my "taper" week and new job - BUSY week!  Any suggestions on how to plan the taper week workouts?

2008-06-06 8:24 PM

User image

Overland Park, KS

Melissa - I like your new avatar.

John - I think we need new pics for ours - between your gloves and my full bundled up look - it just doesn't say summer!  Hopefully I'll get a new pic next weekend at my race that looks a bit warmer Cool

2008-06-06 8:46 PM

User image

Ballantyne
I find that when I get done swimming I have alot of excess gas that I have to burp out. I'm assuming this is normal as I did it when I was a kid. I always chalked it up to swallowing to much pool water. Is that the case or am I building up CO2? Either way, what's the best way to keep from swallowing water when I swim. I don't swallow the much, but it's going to happen. I also find the I burp some after running a while.

Edited by pcm95 2008-06-06 8:47 PM
2008-06-07 2:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Washington , MO

Woohoo! My first open water swim ever today and it went awesome! Almost felt as if i was cheating, since the wetsuit makes you float. So much easier swimmiing with one on heh. Felt like i could have swam all day like that. Sighting will take some practice but all in all it was a great first experience. Way funner swimming in open water versus a pool IMO. By the by, it was my first time swimming with a wetsuit as well. Gotta admit though that the first couple hundred yrds were kinda rough, like i couldn't get a good breath or something with the tight wetsuit on. Told myself to settle down and just relax, stroke, stroke, breath kinda thing in my head.  Then it was like all of a sudden i felt i could go all day

Basically it gave me a confidence boost for my upcoming race so i'm all jacked up now!

Thought i'd share my first OWS experience with everyone.  

peace, John

2008-06-07 3:03 PM
in reply to: #1451012

User image

Veteran
Washington , MO
run_carmen - 2008-06-06 8:24 PM

Melissa - I like your new avatar.

John - I think we need new pics for ours - between your gloves and my full bundled up look - it just doesn't say summer!  Hopefully I'll get a new pic next weekend at my race that looks a bit warmer Cool

Haha, I'd have to agree with you on that Carmen. Will hopefully get a good, clean pic at my next event, possibly maybe even hurling at the finish line  Wink

2008-06-07 3:31 PM
in reply to: #1451027

User image

Veteran
Washington , MO

pcm95 - 2008-06-06 8:46 PM I find that when I get done swimming I have alot of excess gas that I have to burp out. I'm assuming this is normal as I did it when I was a kid. I always chalked it up to swallowing to much pool water. Is that the case or am I building up CO2? Either way, what's the best way to keep from swallowing water when I swim. I don't swallow the much, but it's going to happen. I also find the I burp some after running a while.

*Fair Warning, This Post Contains Info And General Insight From A Novice Swimmer/Triathlete *

Not sure on this Joe, but to put your mind at ease, i've read other threads where folks have had the same thing with the burping after swimming as you.  You may want to do some searching in the general tri forums looking for remedies if there are any. I personally don't swallow any water hardly at all and consequently don't burp after swimming so maybe that's the thing  /shrug. Not sure how your breathing technique is right now, but do you exhale underwater through your nose and inhale through your mouth? If not, you may want to give that a whirl.  Also, if you haven't taken swim lessons at all or since you were a kid, i'd recommend doing so. I just learned how to swim via adult swim classes not even 3 months ago or so and i'm totally glad I did.  As far as burping after running , how was your nutrition before your runs? Eating anything at all or running on an empty stomach? Could simply be what you had before you took off on your run.  No chili dogs and soda's before runs Joe, c'mon! On a serious note, I get the occasional belch during my runs (non brick runs) after i just munched an eneregy bar or PB sandwhich and drank some sports drink, then headed out the door. On brick runs i never(can't think of a time) have this issue since i just got off the bike and, at most, had a gel and some water/sports drink.

Sorry if this reply became a little long-winded. Some of the others may be able to shed more light on this. Best of luck Joe bro.

peace, John

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » tcovert's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 18