Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2009-01-25 8:11 PM
in reply to: #1859832

User image

Master
Dunedin
Subject: RE: kenj group - Closed
Hmm...not much equipment available? Then there are LOTS of drills (swimming like a chicken (ha!), shark drill, fist drill, okay drill, soldier drill).  I do agree that it's a pain in the rump to have to work around the pool schedule though.  And all pools are not created equal.  I used to swim in a pool in Scranton, PA that was kept around 86 degrees (it was like swimming in sweat, eek!).  I've heard of people just always keeping a set of "stuff" in the car so that you're always ready to go for a run/bike (at a gym) or a swim.  That way you don't have to waste any time, just jump in and go.

2009-01-26 4:59 AM
in reply to: #1928166

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

y2kdad99 - 2009-01-25 7:21 PM Wayne, I tend to agree with Sara -- sometimes having some gear helps break up the monotony. I just got some Zoomer Z2 fins and that was one reason I finally made it back to the pool (to try them out). I understand the controversy about pull buoys, but I do think they are fun to use for at least a few laps, if just to be able to concentrate on my pull and not worry about kicking. If you do get addicted, we'll just pull together as a group and do an intervention ("Wayne, we’re all here because we love you and we’re worried about you and your pull buoy...". Hang in there and keep trying and you'll get it going!

That's funny, a pull buoy intervention!  Maybe a reality show?

2009-01-26 6:10 AM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

Wayne,

I set a goal to solve a problem while swimming.  I own a company that designs custom machines so there is always some mechanical design problem hanging around.  I pick one and think about it while swimming.  I'm always amazed that by the end of the swim

a) it has gone by FAST and

b) I usually have the problem solved (or a good idea to start on)

So I begin to look forward to swimming more and more.  It's my alone/problem solving time

The same could apply to any other problems that require a "clear head".

2009-01-26 7:40 AM
in reply to: #1928587

User image

Veteran
Houston
kenj - 2009-01-26 4:59 AM

y2kdad99 - 2009-01-25 7:21 PM Wayne, I tend to agree with Sara -- sometimes having some gear helps break up the monotony. I just got some Zoomer Z2 fins and that was one reason I finally made it back to the pool (to try them out). I understand the controversy about pull buoys, but I do think they are fun to use for at least a few laps, if just to be able to concentrate on my pull and not worry about kicking. If you do get addicted, we'll just pull together as a group and do an intervention ("Wayne, we’re all here because we love you and we’re worried about you and your pull buoy..."). Hang in there and keep trying and you'll get it going!

That's funny, a pull buoy intervention!  Maybe a reality show?

Great stuff, If I buy one I'll let ya know how many lengths I use it per session and if I need a 12 step buoy program. I got in pool yesterday afternoon with a 20 minute time limit, didn't count lengths, just worked on some drills and form, in other words...gotterdun !

Ken yu mentioned decreasing your strokes per length and going faster. How is that done? glide more, reach out farther?

Its Monday hope everyone is feeling better and recovering from their injuries. What are our challenges this week?

2009-01-26 7:52 AM

User image

Regular
Wayne -- way to go!

I'm doing better. Ever since I started mixing in my walking, my knee pain has been minimal. I'm still having a little heel pain, but not bad, and if I'd do my stretching more, it prob wouldn't be a problem at all.

I do have to decide about what tri to do this year. I was planning to do Memphis in May (oly), but I just found out that my son's high school graduation is the same day, so that's out. I'm thinking about the Music City Tri in Nashville in Sept, but I've also considered trying a half IM late this season, especially since my running is going better. I'm also considering doing a half mary in March, and perhaps do a full mary in Dec. Has anyone done any tri's in the Southeast that they thought was especially good?
2009-01-26 8:00 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Wayne - this is one place that I find a buoy does help.  When you are focusing on the stroke count and learning to glide.  Lowering the stroke count is really a matter of stretching yourself out more and maintaining good body position in the water.  Your ideal body position is always having yourself stretched as long as you can comfortably be in the water.  Don't start the next pull until your recovering hand is almost re-entering the water.  I think this is also refered to as front quadrant swimming.  A drill that I find is helpful for this is the catch up drill.  That is when you don't start the next pull until your hands touch in front of you.

I like to use the buoy when I am focusing on improving my stroke.  After the stroke work you need to kick for a couple hundred yards for redemption!

Any of the more gifted swimmers amongst us can clarify what I was trying to say!

2009-01-26 6:55 PM
in reply to: #1928597

User image

Master
Dunedin
TriRSquared - 2009-01-26 7:10 AM

Wayne,

I set a goal to solve a problem while swimming.  I own a company that designs custom machines so there is always some mechanical design problem hanging around.  I pick one and think about it while swimming.  I'm always amazed that by the end of the swim

a) it has gone by FAST and

b) I usually have the problem solved (or a good idea to start on)

So I begin to look forward to swimming more and more.  It's my alone/problem solving time

The same could apply to any other problems that require a "clear head".

I've done this on runs, works great!

2009-01-26 7:03 PM
in reply to: #1928698

User image

Master
Dunedin
kenj - 2009-01-26 9:00 AM

Wayne - this is one place that I find a buoy does help.  When you are focusing on the stroke count and learning to glide.  Lowering the stroke count is really a matter of stretching yourself out more and maintaining good body position in the water.  Your ideal body position is always having yourself stretched as long as you can comfortably be in the water.  Don't start the next pull until your recovering hand is almost re-entering the water.  I think this is also refered to as front quadrant swimming.  A drill that I find is helpful for this is the catch up drill.  That is when you don't start the next pull until your hands touch in front of you.

I like to use the buoy when I am focusing on improving my stroke.  After the stroke work you need to kick for a couple hundred yards for redemption!

Any of the more gifted swimmers amongst us can clarify what I was trying to say!

I agree with catch up drill.  Also, (and this is debated) you can work on "finishing" your stroke by focusing on pulling until your hand gets past your hips.  Debated because I've read that sometimes shorter strokes are handy when the water is choppy.  But since most of us are in the pool than you can get extra inches out of every pool by extending your arms past your hips.  Those few inches add up over a lap and decrease your stroke count (which means you're spending less energy and decrease your risk of over-use injury).

2009-01-27 8:03 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
So how is everyone doing today?  Is everyone frozen yet?
2009-01-27 8:47 AM
in reply to: #1930385

User image

Veteran
Houston
WittyCityGirl - 2009-01-26 7:03 PM

I agree with catch up drill.  Also, (and this is debated) you can work on "finishing" your stroke by focusing on pulling until your hand gets past your hips.  Debated because I've read that sometimes shorter strokes are handy when the water is choppy.  But since most of us are in the pool than you can get extra inches out of every pool by extending your arms past your hips.  Those few inches add up over a lap and decrease your stroke count (which means you're spending less energy and decrease your risk of over-use injury).

Thanks, I will do catch up drill and longer stroke and see how it affects Golf score which I haven't done in awhile. As new swimmer it takes a boat load of concentration (when I do focus) on my technique I frequently forget how many lengths I've done which is upsetting to say the least. I don't want this to be a swim forum but any tips on remembering what length you're on?
2009-01-27 8:54 AM
in reply to: #1931134

User image

Regular
wakehr - 2009-01-27 8:47 AM

I frequently forget how many lengths I've done which is upsetting to say the least. I don't want this to be a swim forum but any tips on remembering what length you're on?

I had the same problem and tried different methods, but apparently I have swim lap ADD, because I still forgot. I finally broke down and got one of these: http://www.amazon.com/SportCount-Inc-90040-LapCounter/dp/B0016J9NE8... . It has helped me tremendously.

2009-01-27 9:16 AM
in reply to: #1931134

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
wakehr - 2009-01-27 9:47 AM
WittyCityGirl - 2009-01-26 7:03 PM

Thanks, I will do catch up drill and longer stroke and see how it affects Golf score which I haven't done in awhile. As new swimmer it takes a boat load of concentration (when I do focus) on my technique I frequently forget how many lengths I've done which is upsetting to say the least. I don't want this to be a swim forum but any tips on remembering what length you're on?

It depends on if I am swimming alone or with the Masters.  When I swim alone I have a timex watch with a lap counter.  I just hit the lap button every 100 yards.  With the masters the workouts are given to us and they have the distance already printed, so I only need to remember if I swim extra before or after.

I have also heard of people putting pennies on the deck and moving one every hundred yards or what ever distance they feel like.  But then you are at the mercy of the person you are sharing a lane with not to mess with them.

2009-01-27 9:22 AM
in reply to: #1931038

User image

Veteran
Northwest Arkansas

kenj - 2009-01-27 8:03 AM So how is everyone doing today?  Is everyone frozen yet?

Yes.  I'm ready to move in with Wayne.  We seldom get snow here in Arkansas, but we do get our share of ice.  We had to pull my wife's car out of the neighbor's fence last night (I was driving).  No way to get out of the driveway this morning so we're in for the day I'm pretty sure.  Fortunately, we have plenty to eat and a couple of movies I rented yesterday.  Man, I really want to move south!

Took these from the back of the house this morning:

Edited by snaproll 2009-01-27 9:26 AM
2009-01-27 9:47 AM
in reply to: #1931236

User image

Veteran
Houston
snaproll - 2009-01-27 9:22 AM

kenj - 2009-01-27 8:03 AM So how is everyone doing today?  Is everyone frozen yet?

Yes.  I'm ready to move in with Wayne.  We seldom get snow here in Arkansas, but we do get our share of ice.  We had to pull my wife's car out of the neighbor's fence last night (I was driving).  No way to get out of the driveway this morning so we're in for the day I'm pretty sure.  Fortunately, we have plenty to eat and a couple of movies I rented yesterday.  Man, I really want to move south!

WoW!! Sorry to hear about the car/fence skid. I spent 20 yrs in Pa before moving south and pics like this remind me why i don't miss the north this time of year. What a beautiful view though, it must be spectacular in spring, summer and especially the fall. We drove to Ozarks in fall about 10 yrs ago and loved it. Reminded me of Pa....one time of the year i do miss !!
2009-01-27 4:01 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Well I'm off to the pool.  Hopefully it won't be as crowded as it has been the last few weeks.
2009-01-27 8:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston
The 8 reasons. I subscribe to Tom Venuto's Burn the Fat ezine..cute eh. Today's post, the 8 reasons you fall off diet wagon.

1. no focus: 2.no priorities: 3. no support system: 4. no accountability: 5. No patience: 6. No planning: 7. No balance: 8: No personalization

Looking at my written BT goals, using Carmichael meal plans, the training program, a weekly weight chart and having such a fine support group at home and of course you guys/gals, I just might make my goal weight when I hit the water at my first HIM !!

http://www.burnthefatblog.com/archives/2009/01/8_reasons_why_you_ke...

2009-01-28 5:29 AM
in reply to: #1932713

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

wakehr - 2009-01-27 9:22 PM The 8 reasons. I subscribe to Tom Venuto's Burn the Fat ezine..cute eh. Today's post, the 8 reasons you fall off diet wagon. 1. no focus: 2.no priorities: 3. no support system: 4. no accountability: 5. No patience: 6. No planning: 7. No balance: 8: No personalization Looking at my written BT goals, using Carmichael meal plans, the training program, a weekly weight chart and having such a fine support group at home and of course you guys/gals, I just might make my goal weight when I hit the water at my first HIM !! http://www.burnthefatblog.com/archives/2009/01/8_reasons_why_you_ke...

Pretty accurate assessment!!  Especially the support of the family!

2009-01-28 5:30 AM
in reply to: #1931236

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
snaproll - 2009-01-27 10:22 AM

I always considered Arkansas to be in the south! Looking at these pictures, I guess I am going to have to reassess that opinion!

Nice view though!

2009-01-28 8:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston
Ice moves South! Dallas had freezing temps last evening as cold front moved in. Icy roads contributed to over 100 collisions.....lessons learned...we can't deal with ice down here! Take the bus, stay off roads.
2009-01-28 3:07 PM
in reply to: #1933155

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

wakehr - 2009-01-28 9:08 AM Ice moves South! Dallas had freezing temps last evening as cold front moved in. Icy roads contributed to over 100 collisions.....lessons learned...we can't deal with ice down here! Take the bus, stay off roads.

I don't think the south has the exclusive on people that can't drive in bad weather.  We haven't seen the grass in a month and it has only been above 32 once in like 6 weeks, yet I saw 2 wrecks on my 8 mile commute this morning!

2009-01-29 7:00 AM
in reply to: #1934095

User image

Extreme Veteran
Middleville, MI
kenj - 2009-01-28 4:07 PM

wakehr - 2009-01-28 9:08 AM Ice moves South! Dallas had freezing temps last evening as cold front moved in. Icy roads contributed to over 100 collisions.....lessons learned...we can't deal with ice down here! Take the bus, stay off roads.

I don't think the south has the exclusive on people that can't drive in bad weather.  We haven't seen the grass in a month and it has only been above 32 once in like 6 weeks, yet I saw 2 wrecks on my 8 mile commute this morning!

Same here, I drive about 35k miles a year for business and I probably average seeing about 100 cars a year spun out in the ditch.  I have come to realize one thing, the majority of vehicles in spin outs are 4 wheel drive.  I equate that to people with 4 wheel drive thinking they are invinsible.  I try to apply the laws of physics when driving in the ice or snow: items in motion stay in motion.  Just nice and steady with no sudden moves like braking or turning of the steering wheel.  That has kept me pretty safe except for 2 years ago when I slid through a stop sign and ended up in a corn field (my car was in motion and stayed in motion right into the cornfield). 

2009-01-29 9:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Northwest Arkansas

Just got power restored last night - sooner than I expected actually.  We have a mess here for sure.  My parents' house and my sister's house are worse.  I haven't had a chance to check on our other properties yet, can't get to them.  Training is on hold for sure (although I got a pretty good workout cutting and moving trees at my folks' house yesterday).

More here:  http://picasaweb.google.com/chipandbecca/2009JanuaryFreeze#

Edited by snaproll 2009-01-29 10:25 AM
2009-01-29 10:01 AM
in reply to: #1935326

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
snaproll - 2009-01-29 10:20 AM

Just got power restored last night - sooner than I expected actually.  We have a mess here for sure.  My parents' house and my sister's house are worse.  I haven't had a chance to check on our other properties yet, can't get to them.  Training is on hold for sure (although I got a pretty good workout cutting and moving trees at my folks' house yesterday).

More here:  http://picasaweb.google.com/chipandbecca/2009JanuaryFreeze#

Ouch, being in the transportation industry that one hits a little close to home!

Glad to hear that things are heading back to normal!

2009-01-29 6:06 PM
in reply to: #1935415

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, North Carolina

The ice storm looks pretty bad.  When it happens in Carolina we get exploding pine trees that sound like shotgun blasts. 

If I may digress, does anyone have an opinion about Motobecane bikes - good, bad or otherwise.  I found a new 2009 Motobecane Nemesis Pro for $1200 on ebay.  They have it in my size.  Suggestions welcome.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ALUMINUM-CARBON-ROAD-TRI-BIKE-SHIMANO-TRIATHLON-PRO_W0QQitemZ130284617903QQihZ003QQcategoryZ98084QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

2009-01-29 8:52 PM
in reply to: #1936568

User image

Extreme Veteran
Middleville, MI

Kweezen,

I don't have first hand experience on the Motebecane bikes but I was considering purchasing one and did a lot of research on them.  I never heard a single negative about them.  I think they are nice bikes for the money. 

Just as an FYI, if you are looking at a $1,200 bike, you might want to go a little bit more and consider this:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/kestrel/talon_tri_sale.htm

Kestrel carbon frame, ultegra components for $1495.....sweet. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 29