BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jonathan22's mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2009-03-16 7:33 AM
in reply to: #2017290

User image

Master
Charlotte
Subject: RE: Need some new tires..

Hope everyone had a nicer weekend than we did here in the South!   We are going on 72+ straight hours of heavy rain this weekend.

I was stir crazy yesterday so I put on my tights and REI rain jacket and hit our Greenway for 10 miles in a 40 degree rain.  Thinking I would be the only person crazy enough to be out in this mess, I was total shocked when I got to the parking lot...it was 1/4 full!  Funny part is, about half of those cars had some sort of triathlon stickers in the back!

Even though I was a drowned rat, I am so glad I got my long run in Sunday (even though I missed my tempo run on Friday due to the rain).

2009-03-16 7:41 AM

User image

Master
Charlotte
Crue4 - 2009-03-14 2:07 AM

Been riding a lot on my trainer and I am due for new tires before my first race..  To be honest, just don't know much about which I should choose..

Any help with what I need to look for in a tire.. what to avoid... I guess I am looking for a good mix of FAST but also durable with good traction... ( I don't want a flat nor to bust my a$$)

Heck even better if you guys want to recommend some exact tires!

Crue...after flatting last weekend on my old tires (I bought a used bike so I have no idea how old my tires are), I think I am going to be purchasing a new set of Continental Grand Prix 4000 S tires ( http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=Y1014 .

I have read a ton of reviews and these seem to be the best mix of everything (and Continental is a Charlotte based company).  They are also rated tops in the BT poll of best cycling tire.  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=139995&posts=7&start=1

2009-03-16 7:52 AM

User image

Master

Been riding a lot on my trainer and I am due for new tires before my first race..  To be honest, just don't know much about which I should choose..

Any help with what I need to look for in a tire.. what to avoid... I guess I am looking for a good mix of FAST but also durable with good traction... ( I don't want a flat nor to bust my a$$)

I have found that if your trainer has a small diameter roller (the part tha the wheel touches) that it chews up tires much faster than if your trainer has a large diameter roller.  The Cycleops Fluid that I have has a large diameter and I just use my normal Continental Gatorskins and they are fine.  My old training (Cycleops Magneto) had a small diameter and chewed up tires really fast.  

Other than Gatorskins, the other tire I have used is Maxxis Detonators.  Gatorskins are easier for find for me.  

2009-03-16 7:53 AM
in reply to: #2020019

User image

Master
bgraboski - 2009-03-16 8:41 AM

Crue...after flatting last weekend on my old tires (I bought a used bike so I have no idea how old my tires are), I think I am going to be purchasing a new set of Continental Grand Prix 4000 S tires ( http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=Y1014 .

I have read a ton of reviews and these seem to be the best mix of everything (and Continental is a Charlotte based company).  They are also rated tops in the BT poll of best cycling tire.  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=139995&posts=7&start=1

I have used GP4000s in the past.  They are good but thinner than the Gatorskins and flat easier (plus they are more expensive).  Just my experience with them though.  
2009-03-16 7:54 AM
in reply to: #2019994

User image

Master
bgraboski - 2009-03-16 8:33 AM

Hope everyone had a nicer weekend than we did here in the South!   We are going on 72+ straight hours of heavy rain this weekend.

I was stir crazy yesterday so I put on my tights and REI rain jacket and hit our Greenway for 10 miles in a 40 degree rain.  Thinking I would be the only person crazy enough to be out in this mess, I was total shocked when I got to the parking lot...it was 1/4 full!  Funny part is, about half of those cars had some sort of triathlon stickers in the back!

Even though I was a drowned rat, I am so glad I got my long run in Sunday (even though I missed my tempo run on Friday due to the rain).

Same here in Atlanta.  3 hours on Sat on a spin bike.  

I am so over indoor training.  

Next weekend I have a 70 mile ride; I think it's supposed to be nice outside.  I really am not looking forward to a 4 hour indoor trainer ride.  
2009-03-16 8:00 AM
in reply to: #2020053

User image

Master
Charlotte

jonathan22 - 2009-03-16 8:53 AM

I have used GP4000s in the past.  They are good but thinner than the Gatorskins and flat easier (plus they are more expensive).  Just my experience with them though.  

Jonathan, If you had to choose one tire that was the best blend of rolling resistance/price/flat protection...would you pick the Gatorskins or the GP4000S? 

Also, do you ride your gatorskins to race in or do you swap for race day?

Thanks!

2009-03-16 8:05 AM
in reply to: #2020063

User image

Master
bgraboski - 2009-03-16 9:00 AM

jonathan22 - 2009-03-16 8:53 AM

Jonathan, If you had to choose one tire that was the best blend of rolling resistance/price/flat protection...would you pick the Gatorskins or the GP4000S? 

Also, do you ride your gatorskins to race in or do you swap for race day?

Thanks!

Gatorskins all the time.  I can get them for around $35 at Performance.  The GP4000 are something like $60.  Also, I have flatted more than once on a GP4000 simply hitting small potholes in the road. That has never happened with a Gatorskin.  I think the Gatorskins are simply tougher tires.  I don't know if the GP4000s are faster; can't say.  
2009-03-16 8:19 AM
in reply to: #2019994

Charlotte
bgraboski - 2009-03-15 8:33 AM

Hate the rainy weekend.  I was busy with a lot of other things, but did do an easy 4 mile run Saturday morning in the rain.  I think the weather is going to break and I'm planning a long run Tuesday morning.  I'll take temps in the 40s, just would like to avoid 15 miles in the rain!
2009-03-17 7:34 AM
in reply to: #1879927

User image

Austin, Tx
Subject: RE: Jonathan22's mentor group - CLOSED

Good news! Got MRI results and meniscus is not torn. So I start physical therapy next week and he said I may be ready for my first sprint race on Apr 26th. He said to go ahead and register for it since it's small and may fill up and then wait and see how I feel about the running next month once I get there.

In the meantime, I'm still taking it easy and he said to build back up slowly, paying close attention to how the knee feels.  SOOOO glad I don't need surgery. I'm on taper week, so I'm walking all my running minutes this week to see how that goes/feels since it's half hours here and there.

Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone!
Holly

2009-03-17 9:13 AM
in reply to: #2022396

Charlotte
HOLKYLE - 2009-03-16 8:34 AM

Good news! Got MRI results and meniscus is not torn. So I start physical therapy next week and he said I may be ready for my first sprint race on Apr 26th. He said to go ahead and register for it since it's small and may fill up and then wait and see how I feel about the running next month once I get there.

In the meantime, I'm still taking it easy and he said to build back up slowly, paying close attention to how the knee feels.  SOOOO glad I don't need surgery. I'm on taper week, so I'm walking all my running minutes this week to see how that goes/feels since it's half hours here and there.

Holly

That's great news Holly!  Glad to hear it.  Just be careful out there!

2009-03-17 10:21 AM
in reply to: #2022396

User image

Master
Charlotte
HOLKYLE - 2009-03-17 8:34 AM

Holly

Great to hear it isn't torn.  I can't imagine being shelved that long w/o going crazy (and getting fat to boot)!

2009-03-17 10:24 AM
in reply to: #2020076

User image

Master
Charlotte

jonathan22 - 2009-03-16 9:05 AM

Gatorskins all the time.  I can get them for around $35 at Performance.  The GP4000 are something like $60.  Also, I have flatted more than once on a GP4000 simply hitting small potholes in the road. That has never happened with a Gatorskin.  I think the Gatorskins are simply tougher tires.  I don't know if the GP4000s are faster; can't say.  

Took Jonathan's advice and ordered some Gatorskins today from Probikekit.com ($25/each, free shipping).

Hope they hold up to the mean streets of Charlotte! 

2009-03-19 12:04 PM

I don't have a trainer and the weather has been too miserable here to ride for over a week, so I've been really working on my swimming and some running and have made some good progress. I did my first 6-mile run and I was finally able to time my 100y swim and came in at under 2:00, which surprised me. That was with a 350y swim. The first time I timed it, it was only with 100y swim (I didn't know I needed to swim longer, then divide), I came in at 2:23! So I've made about a 30-sec improvement, which puts me comfortably in the zone. I know race day may be different as far as maintaining focus, but I've set some realistic goals for myself. My first race is April 4 and it's a sprint (350y swim, 10mi bike, 3.1mi run). I'd like to finish it in under 90 minutes, so here's my breakdown:

swim: <8:00

T1: <2:00

bike: <45:00

T2: <2:00

run: <40:00

That puts me at 1:37, but that's with grace periods of more than a minute on the swim, more than 5 minutes on the bike, and just under 10 minutes on the run. My over goal is 1:30, but my individual goals are separate, so I can be encouraged in any/all of my times. The advantage is that I swim in the pool where the race will be and I've run the route a few times in training. I haven't cycled that route because traffic is crazy on that road. If I can get a ride in today, I will, but they're calling for a cold front with wind and rain this afternoon about the time I get off work.

On another note, I'm looking to begin implementing supplements into my training since so far I've only been gradually modifying my diet and consistently training. I've lost about 14 lbs and am at 17-18% body fat. Would it be too much of a shock to my body to begin implementing fat burners/muscle builders/recovery into my system with a race only two weeks away, or would it enhance training/performance? I spoke to someone about the right mix (creatine, whey, and multi's) and want to get on that. I'm looking at an international distance tri in September and want to increase my training and fitness over the spring and summer.

2009-03-19 1:43 PM
in reply to: #2028007

User image

Master
Charlotte
astafford - 2009-03-19 1:04 PM

On another note, I'm looking to begin implementing supplements into my training since so far I've only been gradually modifying my diet and consistently training. I've lost about 14 lbs and am at 17-18% body fat. Would it be too much of a shock to my body to begin implementing fat burners/muscle builders/recovery into my system with a race only two weeks away, or would it enhance training/performance? I spoke to someone about the right mix (creatine, whey, and multi's) and want to get on that. I'm looking at an international distance tri in September and want to increase my training and fitness over the spring and summer.

Just my .02 for what it is worth:

As someone who has previously tried all/every kind of supplement, I can tell you this.  Save your money and go to the library and read this book (Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook):

http://www.amazon.com/Nancy-Clarks-Sports-Nutrition-Guidebook/dp/0736074155/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1237487714&sr=1-1

I have found a balanced diet is much more effective and a ton cheaper.  Creatine will not help you with a triathlon, and may slow you down.  It would help you with lifting heavy weights but nothing more (and will probably add a few pounds of water weight).  There are plenty of studys to show creatine does not help endurance athletes.

As for adding whey protein shakes.  Skip it.  Get your protein from natural sources.  Add a chicken breast (25g), light cheese sticks twice a day (12g).  Have two eggs on PB toast (24g).  Add a yogurt for a snack (6g) .  Add some almonds (6g). 

Like I said before, I have tried everything before.  Diet Pills, creatine, glutamine, ZMA, protein shakes, etc.  Unless you are trying to bulk up (like really bulk up), skip adding the shakes and creatine. 

Right now I am easily in the best shape of my life.  I lost 35 lbs last year (and have kept it off for over a year now).  The only thing I take now is a Centrum Performance because I don't eat enough veggies (and I have a friend who works for Wythe and I get them at cost ;-).

Remember, this is just my humble opinion.  Hopefully Jonathan will weigh in on this one also with his thoughts.

2009-03-19 8:32 PM

Thanks. Actually that helps tons. I don't want to bulk up much (I have a pretty slender frame), but would like to a little. My arms and legs are thin, but then again, so are Lance Armstrong's. I just want to be lean.

Thanks for giving me a few specifics and I'll check out that book. I could do better on my diet, but I'm making gradual changes and seeing some results. I know if I cut some other things out I would be seeing more progress. It's good to know that if I am just more diligent I can save my money and still make progress. So thanks again, B.

I'm still open to others' experience and advice.

2009-03-20 5:37 AM
in reply to: #2029099

User image

Peachtree City, GA
I'm more or less with Brian on this one. With a long history in strength and bodybuilding, I've tried tons on supplements in the past. I'd say nearly all of them had no real effect other than the occasional "placebo" effect. All of these were geared towards strength training and would likely offer no benefit towards endurance. Creatine is a perfect example. It causes you to retain lots of extra water, you'll look filled out but I'd bet its throwing off you're electrolyte balance. I personally still use protein supplements. I'm still trying to maintain much of my muscle mass while losing weight. Can't say whether this is or is not helping but I'm careful about considering it's calories in my diet and I only use it post-workout for recovery. Could just be an old habit hard to break. What's essentially important is to have a varied diet and to watch the calories. I'd stay away from any "fat burners". Most of them seem to just be some sort of stimulant (i.e. caffeine). I essentially use the poor mans version of this by drinking a couple of cups of coffee in the mornings before working out to really wake up. The only "targeted" supplements I use are calcium and magnesium for a couple of days prior to any long endurance training. I'm paranoid about cramping. The minerals which typically are attributed to cramping are salt, calcium, magnesium and potassium. Right or not, but a cheap insurance policy, I "load" these (I don't supplement any salt as its sufficient already in my diet) for a couple of days to make sure my body is topped off with these. I get the potassium from a couple of bananas and you do have to be careful with magnesium since it also doubles as a "constipation reliever" which would probably hinder your performance. Just my perspective and as a side benefit, its a lot more fun to eat your nutrition than to take it in a pill.

2009-03-20 6:18 AM

User image

Master
I'm with everyone else also.  The only supplement a triathlete needs comes in a 12oz bottle or can and contains hops (if you know what I mean )

Also, I think you will surprise yourself come race day.  
2009-03-20 7:38 AM
in reply to: #2029099

User image

Master
Charlotte
astafford - 2009-03-19 9:32 PM

Thanks for giving me a few specifics and I'll check out that book. I could do better on my diet, but I'm making gradual changes and seeing some results. I know if I cut some other things out I would be seeing more progress. It's good to know that if I am just more diligent I can save my money and still make progress. So thanks again, B.

Definately check out that book.  I am about 3/4 of the way through reading it right now and it really has some great information on how to substitute some of the "bad" foods you are eating for good food (and gives specific examples).  The book is geared entirely to "athletes", not just dieters. 

If you slowly work in the changes to your diet, I think you will less likely to "fall off the wagon".  And don't be afraid to indulge in your favorite foods also...but try to limit the bad foods to once a week. 

I have to disagree with Jonathon that they only supplement a triathlete needs comes in a 12oz bottle...I believe a true athlete gets his supplements from a 22oz bottle!!!  I have two 22oz bottles of Fat Tire and 1554 calling for me to come home right now!

Ummmmmmmmmmmm.  Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer.  My biggest vise is that I LOVE microbrews and all of their wonderful calories.       

Next time ya'll are in a speciality beer store...buy a 4 pack of Founders Breakfast Stout.  Best...Beer...Ever.  http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/11757/?sort=high&start=0

Is it 4 o'clock yet?

2009-03-20 7:50 AM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT

I have to say I agree.  With the exception of a protein supplement if you diet isn't up to snuff, you don't need anything else.  I used to want to be huge and have tried most of them and was lifting weights 5 or 6 days a week for about the past 10 years or so.

I still take protein before after my workouts and I take in alot of caffeine (which is bad) beforehand because I need to wakeup for my workouts and I don't like 430AM.

I'm with Hacksaw on the strength training and I've had to force myself to scale back to 2 or 3 sessions a week so I could focus on Tri sports.  I have to say that I feel great and have lost 15lbs or so in the past 12 weeks despite not having my diet up to par (meaning too much junk).  I think if you train hard and make sure you are getting the right food, you are good to go.

2009-03-20 8:02 AM
in reply to: #2029568

Charlotte
Since we're talking diet, and some of you sound pretty knowledgable, let me throw my issue out here.   I don't have a problem with weight (175, 6'), but I am stuck in a body fat range of 19%.  I'd really like to knock that down a few percent, but it seems like I just can't get it to go down.  Of course this is on a home body fat scale, so it could be off by a couple percent, but the important part is that it's been exactly the same for about 6 months.  I originally was up to about 200lbs and 25% BF after my injury.  I got down to where I am after I started running and training just by watching what I was eating.  

My eating habits, I would say on a scale of 1-10 range from 6-7.  Sometimes I work very hard to avoid all the bad stuff for weeks and other times I just eat ordinary food, but even then I'm not a real junk food/fast food eater.  Like most of you, I'm lifting weights a few times a week, running, biking, swimming 6-10 hours per week.  I do plenty of cardio, lift weights, and while my diet isn't perfect all the time, even when I try to make it as close to perfect as possible, nothing changes.  So, I figure if I can eat at a level 6 out of 10 and my body composition stays the same as if I eat at a level 9, I tend to stick with the 6.  Either way doesn't really seem to affect my athletic performance either.

So, is this just it?  Is my body just happy where it is and unless I'm a level 10 eater forever, I just won't change???  Anybody else dealt with the same issue?
2009-03-20 9:59 AM
in reply to: #2029584

User image

Master
Charlotte

rpittser - 2009-03-20 9:02 AM

So, is this just it?  Is my body just happy where it is and unless I'm a level 10 eater forever, I just won't change???  Anybody else dealt with the same issue?

You might be. 

I know I am stuck at my current weight (for about 10 months now) even though I know I could lose another 10lbs but my mind/body is not allowing it.  I am "happy" at my weight and with what I eat.  I don't go hungry, I eat pretty good, and still indulge in some not so healthly meals here and there.  I think a lot of times it is a mental hurdle.  I do hope to overcome my mental hurdle though when I start training for a marathon at the end of the summer.  I know getting 10 pounds off would go a long way over 26.2.

Edited by bgraboski 2009-03-20 10:00 AM

2009-03-20 8:24 PM

Thanks, everyone. It looks like my question has definitely been answered. I will definitely not add any supplements, but will instead focus on diet. Thanks again.

That said, I was able to officially submit my final 100y swim time today. Today was the deadline and I gave myself a 15-sec cushion. Setup Events sent me the USAT rules for the race. If all goes well in this one, I am looking at an International Distance in September. This first race is April 4, so it is coming up quick.

2009-03-21 10:58 AM
in reply to: #2031247

Charlotte
Race Report - 4 miler today in south Charlotte.  Weather was nippy (upper 30's), but sunny.  The course was out and back, fairly straight with some rolling hills.  823 runners, I finished 123 overall, with a time of 29:06.  I'm very happy with that time, my goal was 30:00.   Finished 19 out of 57 in my age group.  There are just way too many fast runners out there!

2009-03-23 7:05 AM

User image

Master
Charlotte

Sort of unexpectly walked into Inside Out Sports for the first time this weekend (Charlotte's triathlon store).  They were having a 15 year anniversary party and the store was right off the train and my two year old daughter was beggin to ride the train all weekend.

This is the first time going into a triathlon store so I wasn't expecting much.  Walked away with about $400 worth of clothing/shoes...for $169!  Also had a couple of good beers, chicken skewers, snack mix and a bouncy castle to entertain my daughter. 

Problem was...my wife got all the great deals (50% off stuff) and all I bought was a headsweats visor!!!  They had awesome clearance deals for womens clothes but the mens was picked throught unless you were a small. 

I was kinda bummed they didn't have anything in the clearance rack in my size as I am big "clearance shopper".  I like to get top of the line brand stuff but at super bargin prices!

Well we paid and started walking out the door...they called my name for a door prize!  2XU Comp Tri Men's Singlet for a box of Gu gels and drink mix.  SWEET.  If it's free, it's for me!

All in all, I was surprised how much tri stuff they stuffed into the store.  More than I thought.  The people working all seemed to be extremely nice and very helpful to my wife who had no idea on what she was buying.

2009-03-23 7:59 AM
in reply to: #2033920

Charlotte
bgraboski - 2009-03-22 8:05 AM

Sort of unexpectly walked into Inside Out Sports for the first time this weekend (Charlotte's triathlon store).  They were having a 15 year anniversary party and the store was right off the train and my two year old daughter was beggin to ride the train all weekend.

This is the first time going into a triathlon store so I wasn't expecting much.  Walked away with about $400 worth of clothing/shoes...for $169!  Also had a couple of good beers, chicken skewers, snack mix and a bouncy castle to entertain my daughter. 

Problem was...my wife got all the great deals (50% off stuff) and all I bought was a headsweats visor!!!  They had awesome clearance deals for womens clothes but the mens was picked throught unless you were a small. 

I was kinda bummed they didn't have anything in the clearance rack in my size as I am big "clearance shopper".  I like to get top of the line brand stuff but at super bargin prices!

Well we paid and started walking out the door...they called my name for a door prize!  2XU Comp Tri Men's Singlet for a box of Gu gels and drink mix.  SWEET.  If it's free, it's for me!

All in all, I was surprised how much tri stuff they stuffed into the store.  More than I thought.  The people working all seemed to be extremely nice and very helpful to my wife who had no idea on what she was buying.

Sounds cool Brian, I wish I had known about it.  I tried to go into Cool Breeze Cyclery in Mooresville last Wed night, but got there after they closed.  
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jonathan22's mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 15