BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MOMO - (CLOSED) IN TRAINING MODE Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2009-07-07 6:11 AM
in reply to: #2073413

Subject: RE: MOMO - (CLOSED) IN TRAINING MODE
June's totals:
Bike:1h 45m  - 148 Mi
Run:1h 52m 28s  - 19.1 Mi
Swim:11h 05m  - 3350 Yd

2009-07-07 12:32 PM
in reply to: #2255083

User image

ivy, va
Nice June stats everyone.  It's helpful to look back and see where you should have spent more time.

r28723 - looks like you set the bar for us again last month.  Impressive & inspiring totals!
2009-07-07 1:11 PM

User image

Regular
Team Mo, I am less than 2 weeks away from my first mini-tri!!!!! I am not worried so much about being physically able to finish but I feel a little lost when it comes to how to setup my transition area, course etiquette, etc.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Please share your first time experiences with me...
2009-07-07 1:27 PM
in reply to: #2267864

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
RunGirlRun - 2009-07-07 1:11 PM Team Mo, I am less than 2 weeks away from my first mini-tri!!!!! I am not worried so much about being physically able to finish but I feel a little lost when it comes to how to setup my transition area, course etiquette, etc.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Please share your first time experiences with me...

I don't have any personal advice but just wanted to tell you good luck and have fun!
2009-07-07 3:04 PM

User image

ivy, va
I learned a lot about transitions on BT.  I'll spare you my mistakes (plenty!), and offer the best advice I heard/experienced.

When you get there you put your bike on a rack.  It hangs from the seat (they'll be lots of examples around you).  Hang your helmet from your handlebars with your gloves and sunglasses (yes, you will regret it if you don't wear sunglasses for the ride) in the helmet.  Bring a medium sized hand towel to lay your stuff on (it will be crowded, you'll be jockeying for space). 

Lay your towel under/close to your bike.  Put down on that towel what you'll need in the order you'll need it: small towel to dry off closest to you, then shirt & shorts if you're wearing them, sweat band if you use one, then bike shoes, socks rolled down to the toes (w baby powder in them if it works for you) placed in your shoes, finally running shoes furthest away if you're using them.  Also, allow yourself some room to put things you'll discard, like your swim cap, etc.  Put your water bottle in your bike cage if you use one.

Have safety pins so you can pin your number the night before to the shirt you'll be cycling/running in.

After you set up your transition area, you'll go to an area where they'll write (with indelible ink!) your age on your shoulder & calf.  True.

Practice, practice, practice your transitions.  Envision them in your head again and again.  Think about coming out of the swim, etc.  The more you can make it routine, the better.

RGR you will be fantastic!  I have no doubts about that!!  You'll have fun.  It'll be a great experience.  You go girl!!!

2009-07-07 3:07 PM
in reply to: #2268209

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
wisewilma - 2009-07-07 4:04 PM

I learned a lot about transitions on BT.  I'll spare you my mistakes (plenty!), and offer the best advice I heard/experienced.

When you get there you put your bike on a rack.  It hangs from the seat (they'll be lots of examples around you).  Hang your helmet from your handlebars with your gloves and sunglasses (yes, you will regret it if you don't wear sunglasses for the ride) in the helmet.  Bring a medium sized hand towel to lay your stuff on (it will be crowded, you'll be jockeying for space). 

Lay your towel under/close to your bike.  Put down on that towel what you'll need in the order you'll need it: small towel to dry off closest to you, then shirt & shorts if you're wearing them, sweat band if you use one, then bike shoes, socks rolled down to the toes (w baby powder in them if it works for you) placed in your shoes, finally running shoes furthest away if you're using them.  Also, allow yourself some room to put things you'll discard, like your swim cap, etc.  Put your water bottle in your bike cage if you use one.

Have safety pins so you can pin your number the night before to the shirt you'll be cycling/running in.

After you set up your transition area, you'll go to an area where they'll write (with indelible ink!) your age on your shoulder & calf.  True.

Practice, practice, practice your transitions.  Envision them in your head again and again.  Think about coming out of the swim, etc.  The more you can make it routine, the better.

RGR you will be fantastic!  I have no doubts about that!!  You'll have fun.  It'll be a great experience.  You go girl!!!

what she said.... i couldn't say it any better.

2009-07-08 7:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Decatur GA
from my vast experience of one sprint..ha...people show up late and cram into the best locations pushing your "junk" all over so be prepared for that, I had to run about a half mile on sand and sidewalk after the swim and loved having a bottle of water to rinse my feet off, less is definitely more on the towel, have bike in easy gear ready to peel out, uh-it'll be over before you realize it! Have great fun!
2009-07-09 3:43 PM
in reply to: #2269449

User image

ivy, va

Here's a pretty cool running pace calculator I discovered the other day from McMillan Running:

"To use the calculator, simply choose a recent race distance below, making sure to choose a distance for a performance which accurately reflects your current fitness level. In other words, put in a good race, not a bad one. Next, enter your time in hours (if necessary), minutes and seconds. Hit Calculate and voilà! your equivalent performances for every race distance from the 100m to the marathon as well as your optimal training paces for all the key workout
s.
"

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/Running%20University/Article%201/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm

2009-07-13 3:45 PM

Veteran
Mo,
I have an international on September 20th and am on week 4 of the 16-week 3x olympic training plan. Since I won't be able to finish the entire plan, should I skip a month or keep following the plan?
2009-07-13 10:56 PM
in reply to: #2282098

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
monicamm68 - 2009-07-13 4:45 PM

Mo,
I have an international on September 20th and am on week 4 of the 16-week 3x olympic training plan. Since I won't be able to finish the entire plan, should I skip a month or keep following the plan?

I wouldn't necessarily skip a month.. that would set you back in training(put you back into build phase).. What i would do is adjust the schedule. shift/move/take out/merge things.

i guess you are doing the patriot weekend.. im jealous.
2009-07-14 12:55 PM
in reply to: #2283111

Veteran
What should get cut, moved, merged, etc.? Should I combine the scheduled time for a discipline for two weeks, like the 2 short swim/bike days into one?

I am doing the Crystal Beach Tri in Onnancock in September. Very low key tri (only 120 entrants allowed) in the race director's backyard. Should be a good place for a first oly.

2009-07-14 2:31 PM
in reply to: #2284571

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
monicamm68 - 2009-07-14 1:55 PM

What should get cut, moved, merged, etc.? Should I combine the scheduled time for a discipline for two weeks, like the 2 short swim/bike days into one?

I am doing the Crystal Beach Tri in Onnancock in September. Very low key tri (only 120 entrants allowed) in the race director's backyard. Should be a good place for a first oly.

Id have to see the plan to help with that. I have a plan (i think its 16 weeks..) I will look at it and let you know.. what is your weakest discipline? send me a pm with your email.. and ill mark up my plan to show options..
2009-07-15 9:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
I've been researching and playing around with my nutrition but I still feel like I don't quite have it down yet. Total overall calories I'm ok, but not sure how much time I should give myself to digest before a work-out. I discovered yesterday eating before a run is a really bad idea. I gave myself about 1 hr 20 min before hand but almost puked and my running volume is very low so it's not like I'm knocking down 10-15 miles. I'm thinking I'm not giving myself enough time to digest? What is the appropriate amount of time to wait especially after dinner. Maybe not eat as much? But I am usually ravenous by dinner time especially if I've worked out earlier. I'm ok in the mornings, but I'm trying to acclimate to the heat so I've been trying to run in the evenings 7-8ish. Oh yeah, the temps here have been in the 100's. Bleh....
2009-07-15 10:53 AM
in reply to: #2286562

User image

Regular
tnguyen1 - 2009-07-15 10:39 AM I've been researching and playing around with my nutrition but I still feel like I don't quite have it down yet. Total overall calories I'm ok, but not sure how much time I should give myself to digest before a work-out. I discovered yesterday eating before a run is a really bad idea. I gave myself about 1 hr 20 min before hand but almost puked and my running volume is very low so it's not like I'm knocking down 10-15 miles. I'm thinking I'm not giving myself enough time to digest? What is the appropriate amount of time to wait especially after dinner. Maybe not eat as much? But I am usually ravenous by dinner time especially if I've worked out earlier. I'm ok in the mornings, but I'm trying to acclimate to the heat so I've been trying to run in the evenings 7-8ish. Oh yeah, the temps here have been in the 100's. Bleh....

I know how tough it can be to get in proper nutrition and at the same time be eating something easy to digest before a workout, especially with multiple workouts per day! How big was the meal that you ate before your run? The heat could definitely have been a factor too. Without knowing exactly what you ate, it would be hard to say if you gave yourself enough time to digest or not. Personally, when I run and race, I have found quick digesting carbs and a protein, usually in the form of a peanut butter & honey toast, is my perfect pre-run meal and I can usually have one with only an hour or so before my workout.
Training is the best time to find that pre-workout meal or meals (for variety), which works best for you and the best time to eat them. It is a bit of a time commitment but I have found that using a food journal is a BIG help when it comes to scheduling meals with workouts and figuring out what foods are best.
I am a big fan of smoothies these days and they seem to work really well for me between workouts (i.e. quick and easy, if I prep the ingredients beforehand). I then plan my larger meals when I have at least 3 hours before a planned workout.

Edited by RunGirlRun 2009-07-15 10:54 AM
2009-07-15 3:23 PM
in reply to: #2286562

User image

ivy, va
First off, kudos to you t for adapting your training to the weather and for getting it done with those high temps - that's dedication!  Very motivating!

RGR is so right on every point.  It does take time to figure it out, and now's the time to do that.  I like the idea of a food journal.  Think about the liquids your drinking as well. 

For pre-run munching, I'll have 1/2 a Clif bar and/or maybe a small banana about 45 minutes before I run.  Sometimes a bowl of cereal if I'm really hungry.  I would think 1+ hours is more than enough time to digest, so maybe different food/drink combinations would help.

Also, sometimes nausea can be associated w heat stroke, so be careful.  You may want to record how you feel after each run, the weather, etc. to see if there's a pattern.

Hope that helps!

2009-07-16 8:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
RGR and Wise,

Thank you very much for the advice. Yeah, I think my dinner was just too heavy for a run the other day. Very true that this is the time to figure out what works by trial and error. Yumm, smoothies sound delish. I will def have to look into those. Thanks a million!

2009-07-16 9:45 AM

Veteran
Hey Mo,
I am out until the doctor gets test results on my knee fluid. If it is infectious from the road rash I got last month, could be 1-2 weeks; if it comes back negative, steriod shot tomorrow and rest until Monday.
Noticed fluid in my knee yesterday afternoon for whatever reason and it was worse this morning and I had to get it checked out and it is a prepatellar bursitis.
2009-07-16 9:47 AM
in reply to: #2289043

User image

Regular
tnguyen1 - 2009-07-16 9:59 AM

Yumm, smoothies sound delish. I will def have to look into those. Thanks a million!

Let me know if you would like some of the smoothie recipes I have made in the past. I would be happy to pass them on.

RGR
2009-07-16 9:49 AM
in reply to: #2289156

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
monicamm68 - 2009-07-16 10:45 AM

Hey Mo,
I am out until the doctor gets test results on my knee fluid. If it is infectious from the road rash I got last month, could be 1-2 weeks; if it comes back negative, steriod shot tomorrow and rest until Monday.
Noticed fluid in my knee yesterday afternoon for whatever reason and it was worse this morning and I had to get it checked out and it is a prepatellar bursitis.

That bites booty... hope everythings ok.. keep me posted..
2009-07-16 9:53 AM
in reply to: #2289170

Veteran
I know especially since my volume needs to increase. I suppose it is best to rest now instead of closer to the race. Doc says that this could be something serious if it is indeed an infection.
2009-07-16 10:08 AM

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
Nutrition is a big problem for everyone..

What I tend to do is:
When there is a big workout looming.. (run or bike high mileage.) I try to take in more calories throughout the day.. so my pre workout load isn't so big.. and i don't have to wait so long to train..

I sometimes eat maybe 1.5 to 2hr before working out(have to give the body time to process) . depends on what happened in the day. nothing heavy though.. light foods. nothing heavy.. fruits, bars, etc... this maybe TMI but its important, use the bathroom before long run (any run).. nothing like an upset stomach while running(hence the 1.5 to 2 hr eat prior).. we are athlete here!!

the most important thing is to eat afterwards.. you have a 45 min window after training to eat.. this window is huge is recovering(blood is still flowing rapid, vein and arteries are still exanded and full of oxygen).. so protein rich things.. smoothie, choc milk. etc..

when running/riding in the heat, make sure you are hydrated.. if your pee is any darker than a light yellow, not getting enough water... yes vitamins changes things and certain foods. but ideally clear is good.. so take a bottle of water with you while running.. they make running bottles.. a strap is around the water bottle, so you can carry it with out actually holding it.. you body will appreciate the drink(whether water or gatorade..)

You guys are doing great with training... we have some racers this week.. help me congratulate and well pump them up.... olliedawg and rungirlrun.......

whooooo hoooooooo kick ... and have fun doing it

2009-07-16 10:16 AM
in reply to: #2289219

User image

Regular
momo - 2009-07-16 11:08 AM
 You guys are doing great with training... we have some racers this week.. help me congratulate and well pump them up.... olliedawg and rungirlrun....... whooooo hoooooooo kick ... and have fun doing it

Thanks for the 'shout out', Mo.

Good luck Olliedawg!
2009-07-16 12:38 PM
in reply to: #2289240

User image

ivy, va
I believe aswimr & gavisk have tri's this weekend too!  Go Team Mo!

You will all be fantastic!!  Enjoy!
2009-07-16 9:37 PM
in reply to: #2289639

Regular
wisewilma - 2009-07-16 1:38 PM I believe aswimr & gavisk have tri's this weekend too!  Go Team Mo!

You will all be fantastic!!  Enjoy!

I got shut out of my event. It was full when I went to sign up, so I am not racing this weekend. My next event is in downtown Indy in August. We swim in the canal, and ride and run downtown. I am instead going to be training a brick this weekend instead. Mid 70's in southern Indiana in July is like heaven on earth, and I am going to take full advantage.

Ran a 10k tonight, felt terrible pn mile 4 and 5, but finished really strong. Finally getting back to where I want to be running.
2009-07-17 7:32 AM
in reply to: #2289240

User image

Elite
Toledo, Ohio
RunGirlRun - 2009-07-16 11:16 AM
momo - 2009-07-16 11:08 AM
 You guys are doing great with training... we have some racers this week.. help me congratulate and well pump them up.... olliedawg and rungirlrun....... whooooo hoooooooo kick ... and have fun doing it

Thanks for the 'shout out', Mo.

Good luck Olliedawg!

Thanks mo... I've been practicing those transitions and I think I have them down.  I tweeked the stuff you showed me and made it my own.  Like I said the other day, I know I can do the distance, I just don't want to be will not be DFL. 

Good luck to you RGR!  Make sure you post a RR. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MOMO - (CLOSED) IN TRAINING MODE Rss Feed  

of 16