BT Development Mentor Program Archives » konichiwa's mentor group - Are we having fun yet? - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2009-06-23 9:13 PM
in reply to: #2237634

User image

Veteran
Manalapan, NJ
Subject: RE: konichiwa's mentor group - Are we having fun yet? - FULL
Good luck on your tri this weekend mentors!  Today I arrived home at a decent hour and decided to go on my first ride with my new bike.  Threw on my tri shorts and orange cycling jersey, walmart helmet (forgot my walmart bike gloves) and away I went.  Forgot to put on my shades and now I realize their importance as many winged critters pelted my face.

My running sneakers kept slipping off my little clipless pedals and it started to rain but it was a glorious 16 mile bike ride!  I tried to use aero bars once and the front end swerved violently so I think I will need to practice using them in a parking lot.  Do you really use them 95% of the time during a race?

I has problems shifting and will need to bring the bike to a professional to get adjusted.  It was fun and I can't wait to get out again.  I also feel a strange compulsion to speak french ...  FINALLY, I feel like I'm on track to actually compete in a tri this summer!

2009-06-24 8:59 AM
in reply to: #2238481

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA

fontaic - 2009-06-23 10:13 PM Good luck on your tri this weekend mentors!  Today I arrived home at a decent hour and decided to go on my first ride with my new bike.  Threw on my tri shorts and orange cycling jersey, walmart helmet (forgot my walmart bike gloves) and away I went.  Forgot to put on my shades and now I realize their importance as many winged critters pelted my face.

My running sneakers kept slipping off my little clipless pedals and it started to rain but it was a glorious 16 mile bike ride!  I tried to use aero bars once and the front end swerved violently so I think I will need to practice using them in a parking lot.  Do you really use them 95% of the time during a race?

I has problems shifting and will need to bring the bike to a professional to get adjusted.  It was fun and I can't wait to get out again.  I also feel a strange compulsion to speak french ...  FINALLY, I feel like I'm on track to actually compete in a tri this summer!

Sweet!!!  Glad to hear your maiden voyage was enjoyable.

Ya aerobars definitely take a little getting use to.  After a while though, it'll become like second nature.  It'll never be as good as position as the hoods or drops for handling purposes, but it should be faster for those longer-steady efforts needed in triathlons. 

Le Tour is only a couple weeks away...brush up on your french and set the DVR!!

2009-06-24 12:10 PM
in reply to: #2151526

I am not racing this weekend but I will be the following.  I have a question about the rest week.  The Wednesday before the race there is a race at the same location but possibly a different course.  The Wednesday night race is a no frills race (10$) and only about 30 people.  Do you think I would be rested enough for the race on Sunday.  Damn this sport and lifestyle is addictive. 
2009-06-24 12:11 PM

User image

Pro
Houston
Yay for racing mentors - have a great race!

Charlie - glad you are enjoying your bike.  My aerobars were simply for decoration for the first couple months.  However, once I got my tri fit it made a HUGE difference.  You shoulders should be over your elbows.  At first my arms were too far out in front so maintaining control was difficult.  With my new tri fit - needed a new bike post to bring me more forward - I am right on top of my bars and use them a lot. 
I had a nice ride last night with a new group and used my aero bars probably 75% of the time.

I am also racing this weekend in Pearland, it is called the Y Freedom Tri.  Swim is 300m pool swim, bike is 12 miles and run is 5K.  I am anxious but also looking forward to it!
2009-06-24 12:20 PM
in reply to: #2225772

URGuilty - 2009-06-17 9:54 PM Too bad I'm out of town!!   We have some really great rides here in Frederick.  If you're up for some hills, try a loop with Coxey Brown Road.  two miles of about 1100' elevation gain and grades at times over 20!  It's one of those few roads like that, and has bragging rights attached to it!!

The last time I was in Frederick, my dad's car went down an embankment and hit a concrete post flipping our car and fracturing my spine.  O the memories of the hospital and of the police officer telling my dad that he has to pay for a street sign while watching his son being told not to move due to not knowing how serious his back injuries are. 

2009-06-24 12:26 PM

Charlie, I am glad your are enjoying your bike, I don't have aerobars yet.  But I have realized why Cyclist have flat stomachs, so they dont have to lift their stomachs up everytime they raise their knee (like I do) I will probably move much faster when my spare semi tire is gone.   I can still go for about 20 minutes while in a lowered position.

2009-06-24 3:39 PM
in reply to: #2238481

User image

Veteran

fontaic - 2009-06-23 10:13 PM Good luck on your tri this weekend mentors!  Today I arrived home at a decent hour and decided to go on my first ride with my new bike.  Threw on my tri shorts and orange cycling jersey, walmart helmet (forgot my walmart bike gloves) and away I went.  Forgot to put on my shades and now I realize their importance as many winged critters pelted my face.

If you can, take the bike to your LBS for a proper bike fit. It may go a long way in making you feel as comfortable as possible on the bike, especially when you are on the aero bars. It does take some getting used to, especially for your shoulders and neck, but I typically stay in aero unless I am climbing. Even then, I try to stay in aero as long as possible or until I get out of the saddle. If you want to do a bike fit on your own, here is an article on the topic:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/techctr/bikefit.html

Its an old article, but Dan Empfield is the creator of Fit Institute Slowtwitch (F.I.S.T.) and he is known for his school of bike fitting. 

2009-06-25 9:49 AM
in reply to: #2240726

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA

gymnutt03 - 2009-06-24 4:39 PM

If you can, take the bike to your LBS for a proper bike fit. It may go a long way in making you feel as comfortable as possible on the bike, especially when you are on the aero bars. It does take some getting used to, especially for your shoulders and neck, but I typically stay in aero unless I am climbing. Even then, I try to stay in aero as long as possible or until I get out of the saddle. If you want to do a bike fit on your own, here is an article on the topic:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/techctr/bikefit.html

Its an old article, but Dan Empfield is the creator of Fit Institute Slowtwitch (F.I.S.T.) and he is known for his school of bike fitting. 

FYI, the FIST fitting is designed for tri bikes.  Not sure how applicable it is for a road bike with clip-ons.

2009-06-25 9:55 AM
in reply to: #2239868

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA

mrtimbro - 2009-06-24 1:10 PM I am not racing this weekend but I will be the following.  I have a question about the rest week.  The Wednesday before the race there is a race at the same location but possibly a different course.  The Wednesday night race is a no frills race (10$) and only about 30 people.  Do you think I would be rested enough for the race on Sunday.  Damn this sport and lifestyle is addictive. 

What are the distances of the races?

If the Wed race is short, I would say most ppl should be able to recover enough to race well on Sunday. 

On the other hand, if the Sunday race is your "A" or priority race of the season and you want to be at your absolute best, then I'd skip the Wed race.

2009-06-25 9:59 AM
in reply to: #2239870

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA

Best of luck in your race Keri.  Looking fwd to see how it goes!

2009-06-25 5:58 PM
in reply to: #2239870

User image

Veteran
Bridgewater MA
Subject: Keri's upcoming race - Y-Freedom Triathlon
Hi Keri,
Been laid up with knee and leg problems, so I guess a good time to take a family vacation.
Anyway, good luck Keri on your race -- you will do great.

2009-06-26 10:05 AM
in reply to: #2243719

User image

Pro
Houston
Subject: RE: Keri's upcoming race - Y-Freedom Triathlon

joeyg - 2009-06-25 5:58 PM Hi Keri,
Been laid up with knee and leg problems, so I guess a good time to take a family vacation.
Anyway, good luck Keri on your race -- you will do great.

Thanks so much JoeyG Kiss

Although this isn't my first it is significantly longer than my super sprint and my first pool swim so things are different for sure.  I am anxious & excited but also concerned about nutrition in this heat!

The good news is that once this race is over I can focus on my CRUISE!!!  I leave from Florida on a boat with 25 girlfriends 2 weeks from TODAY! Woo Hoo!

2009-06-26 4:52 PM

Good luck everyone on their races.  I still get to wait for another week. 
2009-06-29 7:55 AM
in reply to: #2246360

User image

Regular
Frederick Maryland
Back from a wonderful week at the beach.  Excited to read about everyone's race results!  Hope everyone did well.

Charlie2
2009-06-29 9:54 AM

User image

Pro
Houston
2009-06-29 10:25 AM
in reply to: #2249908

User image

Veteran
Manalapan, NJ
Hey, don't worry about the time or rank ... you finished!  Congratulations!  You may want to shave your head next time (just don't make any disparaging remarks about the Pope) and move to the east coast.

I personally love Bruce Springsteen's version of Mustang Sally ...

How does Texas pool water taste?

-- Charlie1

2009-06-29 10:38 AM
in reply to: #2249542

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA

Just a quick update.  Laura and I both did well at the Phildelphia Triathlon and had fun as we had 3 close friends racing along with numerous extended friends and tri-teammates out there.

I went sub 2:15 and Laura was sub 2:30, so we both accomplished our mains goals.  It's a big/competitive race so neither of us were very close to getting any hardware.  I posted my splits on my workout blog.  Will hopefully have a RR up later today or tomorrow.

-Tim

PS - Keri congrats on your race.  Don't get down on yourself about the times.  Finding the right saddle and getting that rear dearailleur tuned up will make the next one much more enjoyable.

PPS - charlie2, I am jealous of your beach vacation.  Hopefully the weather cooperated.  Where did you go? 

2009-06-29 1:24 PM

User image

Regular
Frederick Maryland
Love the RR!!!   your a hoot.   hey, don't quit triathlon because of this race.  your swim was good and the saddle will definitely slow you down.  Running will come with time.  My license couldve easily been 'IH82Run'.

Ocean City Maryland is where I did my week.  The Maryland State's Attorneys Assn. have their summer conference there.  Me and four kids in a hotel room for a week.  Wife was in Alaska hiking and water water rafting.  Who got the better end of that deal!?!?!  Got a nice OWS in, but that was it.   Two weeks off, and I'm itchy to start training again.
2009-06-29 8:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Manalapan, NJ
Don't do it!  Look what happened to Saddam ...  Besides, we enjoy your posts.  Now, suck it up and get back to working out! 

--Charlie1
2009-06-30 9:45 AM
in reply to: #2251883

User image

Veteran
Manalapan, NJ
Well I finally bit the bullet and signed up for two sprint Triathlons (Aug 2 & Aug 16).  I'm hoping Springsteen shows up in Asbury Park!  A couple of weeks ago I had attempted to sign up the NJ State Triathlon but it was sold out.

I dropped my bike off for a tune-up, as similar to Keri it was shifting all by itself as if it were possessed.  I also signed up for two ocean swim clinics in July.  I am a bit worried about the weather in August, most of my running and swimming has been indoors and can get really hot in New Jersey during the month of August.  

I have three questions:
What is the best method to get the junk off of your feet in T1 prior to the bike?
I am assuming there is some kind of timing chip on your ankle.  Will this interfere with wetsuit removal? 
Should I even bother with bars/gels for a sprint tri?

--Charlie1
2009-06-30 11:47 AM

Keri,
Don't get down on yourself, my first tri I was almost last.  I am not really racing against the other people my first year, I am racing against my own times for improvement.  I know I will probably allways be BOP but I am getting healthier and have more energy to play with my daughter.  For most of us in AG we will never get any hardware, we are in it for the challange and the love of the lifestyle.

If you don't believe what I mean look at my race results for this Sunday (upcoming).   I will look impressive because people will be doing twice the distance in about the same time.

Good luck, and just keep on putting in the miles.

Tim

2009-06-30 12:34 PM
in reply to: #2252846

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA

fontaic - 2009-06-30 10:45 AM Well I finally bit the bullet and signed up for two sprint Triathlons (Aug 2 & Aug 16).  I'm hoping Springsteen shows up in Asbury Park!  A couple of weeks ago I had attempted to sign up the NJ State Triathlon but it was sold out.

I dropped my bike off for a tune-up, as similar to Keri it was shifting all by itself as if it were possessed.  I also signed up for two ocean swim clinics in July.  I am a bit worried about the weather in August, most of my running and swimming has been indoors and can get really hot in New Jersey during the month of August.  

I have three questions:
What is the best method to get the junk off of your feet in T1 prior to the bike?
I am assuming there is some kind of timing chip on your ankle.  Will this interfere with wetsuit removal? 
Should I even bother with bars/gels for a sprint tri?

--Charlie1

That's awesome that you signed up for two races and some OW clinics.  Sounds like fun!!

As far as crap on your feet in T1...I don't wear socks on the bike for shorter races so I don't worry about it.  For a HIM I put a towel down in my TA area and kinda wipe my feet clean before putting on socks in T2.  You can certainly do the same in T1.

Chip around your ankle doesn't interfere too much with wetsuit removal.  Quickest way out of the wetsuit I find is to kinda pull your knees up one at a time and once its down to your ankles, use your right foot to step on the left leg of the wetsuit as you pull your left foot/ankle out.  Then repeat for the right one.

No nutrition need for a sprint.  Just have some water on your bike and grab a cup or two on the run if you like.  I usually use more water to dump on me as oppose to drink in shorter races.

-Tim

PS - My RR is done. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=167078

2009-06-30 9:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA

What's everyone doing with their three day wknd?  Fireworks?  Extra training?  cookout/bbq?

2009-07-01 8:21 AM
in reply to: #2254773

User image

Veteran
Manalapan, NJ
We were going to go over a friends house for a barbeque.  We just found out she has the flu and a couple of people at her work were recently diagnosed with swine flu!  So, our plans are up in the air ...

:-(

How about you two? 
2009-07-01 10:47 AM

User image

Pro
Houston
Let's see everybody's June numbers.
June's totals:
Bike:9h 50m 08s  - 85.8 Mi
Run:5h 53m 47s  - 29.65 Mi
Swim:5h 15m 36s  - 3903.08 Yd
Strength:30m

I can't imagine July will be pretty since I'll be out of town for several days.  At least I don't have a race in July Smile
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » konichiwa's mentor group - Are we having fun yet? - FULL Rss Feed  

of 19