BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2010-05-25 3:26 PM
in reply to: #2770788

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
Subject: RE: Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Closed
Hello

Thank you all.  I was not sure if I fit in this group but  now I  know I do.

I will be turning it up a few notches in the pool now getting ready for the harbor swim.  I  figure I need to be able to swim for 1 1/2 hours to complete the 2.4  miles with the outgoing tide.

Stay tuned and watch my  swim numbers.

Kevin

One more thing about the smile during the run picture.  There was this young girl maybe 3 or 4 years old standing behind the ropes sticking her hand out to get "FIVE" from the runners.  Nice moment.

Edited by b2673ad 2010-05-25 3:32 PM

2010-05-27 9:52 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
speaking of swimming. I actually got up at 5 in the morning today and got my swim in. I think it's a sign I'm getting old. Or possibly a sign that I didn't want to do a fairly long bike ride THEN go swim tonight haha. And I think, for the first time in a while, I'm actually getting faster in the pool! It's a miracle.

I mean... faster for me that is haha.
2010-05-27 10:01 AM
in reply to: #2885680

User image

Veteran
Leegoocrap - 2010-05-27 10:52 AM

speaking of swimming. I actually got up at 5 in the morning today and got my swim in. I think it's a sign I'm getting old. Or possibly a sign that I didn't want to do a fairly long bike ride THEN go swim tonight haha. And I think, for the first time in a while, I'm actually getting faster in the pool! It's a miracle.

I mean... faster for me that is haha.

5 AM! I'm impressed. I've contemplated doing that this summer, but I don't know if I can handle it. And congrats on the faster swim time!
2010-05-28 5:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Just have to share some frustration here. I got up at 6 AM so that I could get a ride in before work (after not feeling so hot last night). I drag myself out of bed, get dressed, get my bike outside, and realize that the chain fell off. Spend 10 minutes trying to fix it and wasn't able to (the chain fell off the biggest cog and wouldn't fit past the shifter (if that's the word) to get back on the chain... whatever. I give up, pissed off, and go to open the front door- locked out. Look for the spare key in the garage for 10 minutes- find nothing, have to ring the doorbell 15 times and wake up my mom, who is now mad at me. Bring the bike back inside, do some research on the internet, and get the chain back on- but now it's too late and I have to get ready for work.

ARRRGGGGHHH! Sooooooo annoyed right now. And covered with bike grease. And realizing my bike chain is really dirty and I don't have anything to clean it with because the guy at the bike shop left the chain cleaner out of my bag last time.

OK I feel a little better. But not really. I'm super super nervous about my race on Sunday--particularly the swim--and don't want to do it at all.
2010-05-28 10:05 AM
in reply to: #2887848

User image

New user
Washington, DC
eca712 - 2010-05-28 6:48 AM Just have to share some frustration here. I got up at 6 AM so that I could get a ride in before work (after not feeling so hot last night). I drag myself out of bed, get dressed, get my bike outside, and realize that the chain fell off. Spend 10 minutes trying to fix it and wasn't able to (the chain fell off the biggest cog and wouldn't fit past the shifter (if that's the word) to get back on the chain... whatever. I give up, pissed off, and go to open the front door- locked out. Look for the spare key in the garage for 10 minutes- find nothing, have to ring the doorbell 15 times and wake up my mom, who is now mad at me. Bring the bike back inside, do some research on the internet, and get the chain back on- but now it's too late and I have to get ready for work. ARRRGGGGHHH! Sooooooo annoyed right now. And covered with bike grease. And realizing my bike chain is really dirty and I don't have anything to clean it with because the guy at the bike shop left the chain cleaner out of my bag last time. OK I feel a little better. But not really. I'm super super nervous about my race on Sunday--particularly the swim--and don't want to do it at all.

Ah the joys of a jumped chain. The longer you ride, the more that goes wrong. The nice thing is, eventually when it happens again (and you WILL jump the chain again, it's only a matter of time) you now know what to do. Same with a bunch of other stuff.

Sorry I've been AWOL everybody, I got SUPER sick Saturday night, and it lasted through Tuesday.  I'm still not feeling 100%, and the brief swim I tried Tuesday wasn't super reassuring. Been taking my time recovering because I don't want to relapse.

Luckily for me, I'm a week ahead in my training program, and was wondering how I was going to get it to match up with race day being a week after I'm supposed to be done tapering. Problem solved. Gonna go for a run tonight to get back into it, and a nice ride Saturday, then back into the jungle on Sunday. Being sick sucks!
2010-05-28 11:52 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
eca712 - 2010-05-28 6:48 AM Just have to share some frustration here. I got up at 6 AM so that I could get a ride in before work (after not feeling so hot last night). I drag myself out of bed, get dressed, get my bike outside, and realize that the chain fell off. Spend 10 minutes trying to fix it and wasn't able to (the chain fell off the biggest cog and wouldn't fit past the shifter (if that's the word) to get back on the chain... whatever. I give up, pissed off, and go to open the front door- locked out. Look for the spare key in the garage for 10 minutes- find nothing, have to ring the doorbell 15 times and wake up my mom, who is now mad at me. Bring the bike back inside, do some research on the internet, and get the chain back on- but now it's too late and I have to get ready for work. ARRRGGGGHHH! Sooooooo annoyed right now. And covered with bike grease. And realizing my bike chain is really dirty and I don't have anything to clean it with because the guy at the bike shop left the chain cleaner out of my bag last time. OK I feel a little better. But not really. I'm super super nervous about my race on Sunday--particularly the swim--and don't want to do it at all.

haha those adventures are always fun. I bought a Renn disc a couple weeks ago only to find that it flexes too much when I'm climbing out of the saddle and is rubbing into my Rear Cutout and brakes So... It looks like I'm going to have a pretty serving dish haha.

Don't worry about it! You've done the training, the race is the fun part! You'll do great!

2010-05-28 12:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
eca712 - 2010-05-28 4:48 AM Just have to share some frustration here. I got up at 6 AM so that I could get a ride in before work (after not feeling so hot last night). I drag myself out of bed, get dressed, get my bike outside, and realize that the chain fell off. Spend 10 minutes trying to fix it and wasn't able to (the chain fell off the biggest cog and wouldn't fit past the shifter (if that's the word) to get back on the chain... whatever. I give up, pissed off, and go to open the front door- locked out. Look for the spare key in the garage for 10 minutes- find nothing, have to ring the doorbell 15 times and wake up my mom, who is now mad at me. Bring the bike back inside, do some research on the internet, and get the chain back on- but now it's too late and I have to get ready for work. ARRRGGGGHHH! Sooooooo annoyed right now. And covered with bike grease. And realizing my bike chain is really dirty and I don't have anything to clean it with because the guy at the bike shop left the chain cleaner out of my bag last time. OK I feel a little better. But not really. I'm super super nervous about my race on Sunday--particularly the swim--and don't want to do it at all.

Those days are the worst!  Sorry to hear that happened, at least it was today and not race day.  Don't worry about the race, you'll do great! Remember to enjoy it!
2010-05-28 12:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Kevin - Good luck with the swim training! That harbor swim sounds pretty cool!

Well I'm finally all connected at the new place now, been a bit out of touch the past few days.  Tapering this week is going well, though it makes me nervous to feel like I'm not doing enough. Just over one week to race day for me.
2010-05-28 1:23 PM
in reply to: #2888836

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
MechEChick - 2010-05-28 1:11 PM Kevin - Good luck with the swim training! That harbor swim sounds pretty cool!

Well I'm finally all connected at the new place now, been a bit out of touch the past few days.  Tapering this week is going well, though it makes me nervous to feel like I'm not doing enough. Just over one week to race day for me.

Taper week kills me haha. It's works though!
2010-05-29 1:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Has anyone had any experience feeling panicky during swims? It happens to me occasionally during training, happened during my first tri in April (during a pool swim), and happened today during my first open water swim. (Sprint tri with open water swim is tomorrow morning.) I can't breathe right, feel like I'm in danger of drowning because I can't touch bottom, and just start to freak out and forget how to swim. The wetsuit and inability to see the bottom add to it.

I posted about this on the main boards (and found some helpful advice there, like counting strokes to keep your mind off of it), but just thought I'd throw it out there here too in case anyone experienced it. Thanks!
2010-05-30 12:39 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
breathe... it's not any different than what you have (successfully) done hundreds of times before. As "campy" as it sounds, just visualize yourself keeping to what you know works. It's definitely a mind>matter type thing.  Instead of thinking "Oh crap I can't touch the bottom" think "I don't need to touch the bottom to go forward" and "I can't see anything" to " I don't need to see underwater, I only need to go forward until I look up to spot" 

Relax
Have FUN!

You are going to do great!

2010-05-30 1:09 AM

User image

yorba linda
Good luck on your race, u know u are going to kick the swims a$$.

oh and breathing is for the weak
2010-05-30 5:24 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
First... Emily, hope the race went great for you!

I'm off to bed myself in a few (yeah... celebratin' right haha)

Got a sprint tomorrow morning... I plan to absolutely slaughter the bike course and run so hard I throw up haha.  (I suppose I have to swim 350m first however

Breaking in the BT tri outfit too. So I'll be all the fashionable rage!
2010-05-30 9:40 PM
in reply to: #2891245

User image

Veteran
Leegoocrap - 2010-05-30 6:24 PM

First... Emily, hope the race went great for you!

I'm off to bed myself in a few (yeah... celebratin' right haha)

Got a sprint tomorrow morning... I plan to absolutely slaughter the bike course and run so hard I throw up haha.  (I suppose I have to swim 350m first however

Breaking in the BT tri outfit too. So I'll be all the fashionable rage!

Good luck crushing that course! My race was fun- even though I, uh, did backstroke the entire swim course. Hahaha more on that later- I'm just really happy I finished. It was a great day.
2010-05-30 11:58 PM
in reply to: #2891531

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
eca712 - 2010-05-30 10:40 PM
My race was fun- even though I, uh, did backstroke the entire swim course. Hahaha more on that later- I'm just really happy I finished. It was a great day.

That's so good to hear! I can't wait to read more about it!! The swim will come, I wouldn't worry about it. We all have our freak out moments (mine was the bike... oh boy).  
2010-05-31 10:49 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Haven't got my official results yet. It was a nasty, wet, slick day today.

I'm pretty sure (by my watch at least) I broke an hour though, which was my goal.

Race results...as always...to come.

2010-05-31 6:57 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Here is the race report from the Foothills Sprint.

4th in my AG, 18th Overall. Kinda upset with myself for being overconfident with my time, but all in all a great race.
2010-06-01 9:46 AM

User image

New user
Washington, DC
Congrats on good race results everybody! Reading the race reports now.
2010-06-01 12:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Awesome job on the races!!  Hope everybody had a great Memorial Day weekend!

My HIM is this weekend, starting to freak out a bit.  Still have to get the bolts to attach my second water bottle to my bike... other than that I think I'm all gear ready, at least I hope so!!
2010-06-01 12:49 PM
in reply to: #2894311

User image

Veteran
MechEChick - 2010-06-01 1:44 PM

Awesome job on the races!!  Hope everybody had a great Memorial Day weekend!

My HIM is this weekend, starting to freak out a bit.  Still have to get the bolts to attach my second water bottle to my bike... other than that I think I'm all gear ready, at least I hope so!!

You can do it! You've been training like crazy- it'll be fun and you'll do great. Enjoy your taper week(s?) if you can.
2010-06-01 12:50 PM
in reply to: #2892609

User image

Veteran
Leegoocrap - 2010-05-31 7:57 PM

Here is the race report from the Foothills Sprint.

4th in my AG, 18th Overall. Kinda upset with myself for being overconfident with my time, but all in all a great race.

Chris, that's a great finish! Nothing to be upset about. If it makes you feel better, I was 329th overall and I was psyched I finished.

2010-06-01 1:01 PM
in reply to: #2894311

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
MechEChick - 2010-06-01 1:44 PM Awesome job on the races!!  Hope everybody had a great Memorial Day weekend!

C'mon now... freaking out about attaching a second water bottle? Unless they are out of Titanium bolts that is... You are running ti bolts, right?
2010-06-02 12:41 PM

User image

Master
Mt Pleasant, SC
Hello

My life is in turmoil again.   Julie (my wife) has been readmitted to hospital with an infection as a result of her ruptured appendix.  The Dr. drained the abscess and she is looking and feeling better already.  2 or 3 days in hospital to make sure the infection is gone. 

I need to swim/bike or run to help me relax and clear my mind.

Low-Country splash out the window for this year.

I am as low as whale on the bottom of the ocean.

Thanks for letting me vent here.

Kevin

2010-06-02 12:49 PM
in reply to: #2896861

User image

Veteran
b2673ad - 2010-06-02 1:41 PM

Hello

My life is in turmoil again.   Julie (my wife) has been readmitted to hospital with an infection as a result of her ruptured appendix.  The Dr. drained the abscess and she is looking and feeling better already.  2 or 3 days in hospital to make sure the infection is gone. 

I need to swim/bike or run to help me relax and clear my mind.

Low-Country splash out the window for this year.

I am as low as whale on the bottom of the ocean.

Thanks for letting me vent here.

Kevin

Kevin, I'm so sorry to hear that- focus on your wife's health and the race will always be there another year. But I hope you can get out for a workout to ease the stress a little.

Keep us updated and wish your wife well for us.
2010-06-02 8:45 PM

Southeastern NC
Kevin, I can completely understand how you feel. You must make time to clear your head and take care of "you" as well as your wife. Because this type of stress can make you sick and if you're sick who will take care of you and your wife?

Eat healthy, sleep and get up and move! Trust me!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 19