BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 60

2010-04-15 9:56 AM
in reply to: #2793648

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Subject: RE: TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL!

I have two boys and they are completely different -- look different, act different.  It amazes me!

Quincy, a pilot?  Now that's a back story I want to hear!  As for the garage door opener -- we used to do that a lot, it was less bulky than the key ring.  We finally got a keypad remote for our garage, which is AWESOME for going for runs or rides.  I don't even have a key to my front door that works -- I just always go through the garage.

Lynn, I read that article when it came out in the mag.  Luckily, it's my DH who got me started, but as they say, juggling two work out schedules is almost as hard as convincing a sedentary spouse! My DH's training has suffered since his last half, and I think we are going to have to hit more balance after my tri next month.  Ugh.  On the bright side, we are sneaking a weekend away from the kids for our anniversary, and one of the things we are very much looking forward to is workouts without worrying about kid care!

Edited by dinabean 2010-04-15 9:58 AM

2010-04-15 9:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago

No tan lines yet.  For some reason everytime I work outside it is almost dusk or cold.  Someday, someday they will come back.
Quincy there are some weird things in the city.  This wasn't weird but last night I was sitting along the lakefront on a bench near Monroe Harbor after my run and a mole came flying towards me and stopped about 2 feet in front of me and stared.  I was like "Hey, what are you looking at? I thought you were basically blind?" 
Then as I jogged back home through Grant Park I came across a raccoon. Even though I live right in downtown Chicago it seems like I am back in the wilderness

2010-04-15 10:34 AM
in reply to: #2793686

User image

Master
Vista, CA

blackledge - 2010-04-15 7:59 AM

No tan lines yet.  For some reason everytime I work outside it is almost dusk or cold.  Someday, someday they will come back.
Quincy there are some weird things in the city.  This wasn't weird but last night I was sitting along the lakefront on a bench near Monroe Harbor after my run and a mole came flying towards me and stopped about 2 feet in front of me and stared.  I was like "Hey, what are you looking at? I thought you were basically blind?" 
Then as I jogged back home through Grant Park I came across a raccoon. Even though I live right in downtown Chicago it seems like I am back in the wilderness

Great stories this morning, Manatees -- high flipper fives all around!  I think it must be spring for the animals, Ryan, several bunnies are tempting suicide around here lately darting in and out of cars and I've seem way more roadkill lately, opossums, skunks, and a raccoon the other day. Not to mention the snakes!!

As for the mulitiple race training..I just wanted to share what I've done. I've done three tris and a 1/2 marathon this year already, coming off a my first marathon last Dec.  I've never really taken any time off, per se. Instead I try to build on my fitness and work in rest days while continuing my base and then building up from it. I also do that periodization thing where you focus more on one sport, but continue the others as well.  For example, I did the 70.3 March 27th and I dropped training down to 8 or so hours the week after and then started building, focusing more on the run for a marathon I have on May 2nd. So far, it seems to work. I actually find preparing for a race, event, mentally and emotionally is just as challenging, if  not more so, than the physical aspect of it. So, I think it can be done -- training for multiple races and types. Also, I've not been standing on any podiums either. I'm usually in the top 30-40% of finishers for my AG. Maybe if I took more time dialing back I would finish higher??? Don't know, but I like this lifestyle and continue to schedule races because it gets me moving and most of all IT"S FUN!!!

2010-04-15 10:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
B (for my little BOY Bailey because there are way too many girl Baileys out there these days) is 21 months old and loves the trailer.  I put a throw pillow behind him to cushion the bumps as well as give him enough clearance in the back to hold his head up straight with his helmet on.  I toss a blanket in there so he can snuggle and sleep along with a sippy cup, a snack bowl and a couple toys.  He yells at me if I hit too many bumps but other than that he has a blast watching the scenery.  The problem the other day was me, the cold and the wind. 

I'm skipping the biking gear today and heading out in shorts and a tank.  Since I'm riding the hybrid I'm not too worried about chafing or saddle sore since it's a pretty cushy seat.  My evil plan is to ride to a park and let B play then eat lunch and make the end of the ride coincide with his nap so I can sit in the driveway and read a book. 

Who is a SAHM besides Quincy and me?  You're home too aren't you Kerry?

Dineen - I never carry a house key either but DH and I came home from running errands to find the power out.  We had no way to get in the house for a couple hours!  Of course I still don't carry a key but since the house is on the market we have a lockbox so if I get locked out I can call my realtor to get a code and use the spare that's in there.
2010-04-15 10:50 AM
in reply to: #2793786

User image

Regular
thndrcloud - 2010-04-15 11:35 AM

Dineen - I never carry a house key either but DH and I came home from running errands to find the power out.  We had no way to get in the house for a couple hours!  Of course I still don't carry a key but since the house is on the market we have a lockbox so if I get locked out I can call my realtor to get a code and use the spare that's in there.

I work from home (my office is in NYC), my son is in K and my daughter is in daycare.  But it makes things like working out, doing housework and working in my PJ's a lot easier, LOL!

I don't carry anything by my phone.  I use the keypad to open the garage door.
2010-04-15 10:57 AM
in reply to: #2793832

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
I wish that I could work from home sometimes.  I am sure that it has is positives and negatives but for a change of pace I would love to just stay home and get some work done.  And most of my work could actually be done from home.  grrrr

2010-04-15 11:02 AM
in reply to: #2793780

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago

That is quite an impressive race list Lynn.  Congratulations and good luck in the marathon next month!

2010-04-15 1:02 PM
in reply to: #2771857

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
No tan lines here yet either.  It could be due to either a lack of sun or a lack of training.  Hmm?  Not sure which to blame. 

But, I did have a good ride last night.  Depending on which way I go, there are different hills that I have to do.  Yes, I have given them names.  The three big ones, easiest to hardest, are Back of the Plan Hill (the hill at the back of the housing plan across the road from our housing plan), Golf Course Hill (the hill on the back road by the local country club), and Turkey Hill (named for an embarrassing event that I will tell you all about later for a good laugh!).  There are other hills that are steep and hard and leave me breathless, but these are the hardest and longest.  Anyway, last night I made it up Back of the Plan Hill and Golf Course Hill.  I was feeling quite pleased with myself!!

Oh, and I tried out my new bike shorts that my wonderful husband got me for Christmas.  They are the most comfortable shorts I have ever worn!   If anyone is looking for new shorts, they are the Pearl Izumi PRO bib shorts.  I have other PI shorts that are no where near as comfy!  I highly recommend these!!

I am not sure what tonight will be.  It is supposed to be raining tomorrow and in the 50s over the weekend, so I may do another bike tonight and save the running for the crappy weather.  And, can someone please give me a giant Thwack into the pool?  Please?  I haven't been in the water in forever.  And being a Manatee now, I feel like it should be my second home.

Karen

Karen
2010-04-15 1:12 PM
in reply to: #2794260

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
gadgetlaw - 2010-04-15 1:02 PM  And, can someone please give me a giant Thwack into the pool?  Please?  I haven't been in the water in forever.  And being a Manatee now, I feel like it should be my second home.

Karen

Karen

SMACK!    Quick, go get in pool.  Something about becoming a Manatee shaved quite a few second off of my 300 meter time!  You may already be faster and not even know it.  
2010-04-15 1:22 PM
in reply to: #2794295

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
WHACK to Karen.  Go get 'em!  I agree...now that I am a manatee I swam 1000 yds nonstop this week for the first time in as long as I can remember...if not ever!

And if you need extra motivation then take this manatee bath toy with you to the pool. Warning: you may receive strange looks from other swimmers but stay true to your manatee friends

Edited by blackledge 2010-04-15 2:28 PM

(manatee bath toy.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
manatee bath toy.jpg (36KB - 8 downloads)
2010-04-15 2:30 PM
in reply to: #2793786

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island, NY
thndrcloud - 2010-04-15 10:35 AM  

I am a SAHM too.  

Getting my daughter off the bus, then shlepping her to soccer with the little one.  I am planning on swimming late tonight, but may put the jogging stroller in the truck and get in a short run while she has soccer practice.  

2010-04-15 6:32 PM
in reply to: #2794330

User image

Master
Vista, CA

blackledge - 2010-04-15 11:22 AM WHACK to Karen.  Go get 'em!  I agree...now that I am a manatee I swam 1000 yds nonstop this week for the first time in as long as I can remember...if not ever!

And if you need extra motivation then take this manatee bath toy with you to the pool. Warning: you may receive strange looks from other swimmers but stay true to your manatee friends

If that toy will make me faster -- I'm all for it!!

I'm kind of a stay at home mom--I work one day a week and then sub as asked, but my child is a teenager. You don't have to do much with feeding, bathing, etc. anymore, but the demands and limit-setting is still there, just in a different way than when they were little. And, I do still chauffeur since he's not old enough to drive.

2010-04-16 9:11 AM

User image

Regular
Where The Peaches Grow
Can I have a motivational manatee bath toy as well? I think it would be a hit at the pool. :D

I have arrived. As we were warming up in fitness camp this morning, one of the other ladies asked how my training was going. I told her what I've said here and she replies "So you're doing an Ironman, right?". I laughed and told her I was flattered she thought I was capable of an IM. I guess that means I'm going to have to do one eventually so I can tell her I did!

I'm getting down to business tonight. I *will* get in the pool tonight and swim 300-400 yards. I'm debating doing a charity ride tomorrow morning. I just found out about it, but it seems like an okay course and it would definitely up my mileage.
2010-04-16 9:20 AM
in reply to: #2796015

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago

It seems as though the majority of non-triathletes that I talk to think I am doing an Ironman too. Stupid Bob Costas and his yearly NBC Kona televised event Tongue out  I think even my parents get confused sometimes even though then they come to watch me race once a year they are not sitting there for 12 hours haha.  Oh well

I didn't get a workout in last night   I really wanted to but I had to clean the condo after work because we have a showing today.  Probably the last one since we may just pull our house off the market after this.   Grrrrr.  After I was done cleaning around 10pm I was torn but felt so tired yet it was still so warm outside.  The bed beat out the pavement for running/biking last night I guess. 

2010-04-16 10:14 AM

User image

Regular
Where The Peaches Grow
Ryan-I *wish* I were doing Kona. That means I'd be in Hawaii and not at work! I also find the bed wins out over the pavement. Laughing

I got what amounted to a nap last night because I had trouble sleeping. I have a feeling the work out tonight is going to suck. A lot.
2010-04-16 11:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
Ryan - just get out there tonight.  The weather is perfect for biking and running.  Not so warm that the hordes will be out en mass but not so cool that you need to add any layers.  Good luck with the showing.  The new homebuyer tax credit doesn't expire until April 30th so maybe keep it on the market until then?

Got my run in this morning already.  Gotta work on the swim this weekend.

2010-04-16 11:57 AM
in reply to: #2796466

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Allison -  Unfortunately tonight is a friend's bday party and I have to drive out to Orland Park during rush hour on a Friday   So I will probably work out extra this weekend and just try not to eat too poorly tonight since it's at a bar. 
Good idea---we will probably end up keeping it on the market until 4/30 and then have a discussion about what we want to do (i.e. keep it on the market or maybe try again next spring).  The owners of the house that we were contingent on buying are heavily advertising their house again but I don't blame them. 
Such a decision. We love living downtown but the appeal of a house is so nice especially if we want to raise kids.  Or at least the appeal of more than 1100 sq ft and a 1 bedroom loft is appealing
2010-04-16 12:12 PM
in reply to: #2796518

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
blackledge - 2010-04-16 11:57 AM Allison -  Unfortunately tonight is a friend's bday party and I have to drive out to Orland Park during rush hour on a Friday   So I will probably work out extra this weekend and just try not to eat too poorly tonight since it's at a bar. 
Good idea---we will probably end up keeping it on the market until 4/30 and then have a discussion about what we want to do (i.e. keep it on the market or maybe try again next spring).  The owners of the house that we were contingent on buying are heavily advertising their house again but I don't blame them. 
Such a decision. We love living downtown but the appeal of a house is so nice especially if we want to raise kids.  Or at least the appeal of more than 1100 sq ft and a 1 bedroom loft is appealing

Gosh, wish we could sell you our house...it's very nice for two kids.  And we could write you happy emails from AZ, NV, or NM!Cool

We've had two buyers recently come back and ask to see our house again because they sold their condos, so maybe the condo market is not completely DOA...signs of life perhaps?  There's just so much inventory.  Uck.  When you DO sell your condo (whenever that may be) and you are looking for a house again in the city, let's talk schools...CPS is a vast wilderness and it helps to talk to people who have already dealt with it.  
2010-04-16 12:20 PM
in reply to: #2796562

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Thanks Quincy I appreciate it!  Maybe those two that returned will end up buying your place.  Not that we want you to move away from Chicago.  We went to NM for the first time ever (last Jan) and really enjoyed our time there.   Why do you want to move out of state...if you don't mind me asking?
Yeah that was another concern of ours down the road...was CPS schooling. The house we were looking at just happens to be 2 blocks away from a really highly rated K-8 school.  Alas maybe it was not meant to be yet.  Of course we don't have kids right so schools (minus daycare) are a few years into the future.  But will definitely touch base with you later on if we need some advice.
You can send me a link to your house if you want to?
2010-04-16 12:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Ryan - I love that Manatee bath toy.  If I had one I would so take it swimming with me.  It could watch over me from the end of the lane, and whisper to me to go faster!!  Actually, I did make it to the pool this morning.  First time in forever.  And let me tell you, it felt like it!  My arms were hurting and I was tired!  But I feel so good having gone.  It is just a matter of getting back in the routine for me.  Once I start going again, it will not seem like such a chore, and I know that I will enjoy it.  It is just a matter of making it routine again.  Make sense??

I am hoping to get in a run after work.  Right now it is 77 deg out.  The weather is supposed to go down for the rest of the day, with thunderstorms and a chance of hail!!  I kinda like running in the rain, but I don't think the hail would be too much fun.

Have a good afternoon!

Karen
2010-04-16 12:29 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Subject: Let's talk about re-cov-ery...
Ok, I am ready to walk the straight and narrow with this recovery business, unfortunately I let myself get behind the power curve this last week...I am sore and tired.   Maybe y'all can point me in the right direction.

Here is what I am trying to do

Food:  carb+protein (real food if poss) within an hour after big workouts, small calorie portion, 150ish 
Sleep:  get more...
Rest days:  I am taking two a week to start.  This is my first real workup to a triathlon and I am determined not to get hurt.  I like to do core and upper body weights on these days if poss.  Do you think this is OK, or should I do weights on my aerobic days and leave the rest to pure rest?

Here is what I think I need to do but have questions on:

ice/cold water:  do you do this after every workout?  How soon?  Is it only beneficial right after working out?  If I am feeling sore and tired like today, is it too late the day after?  How long is too long to get the benefit from the ice bath?

roller:  how often do you do this?  What do you do?  

Hot rooms:  when are saunas/steam rooms a good idea?  Hot tubs?  Which of these is best?

Diet/stopping the carb madness (not really recovery, but I'm on a roll):  I swore I would be down to 130-133 by official training start but I goofed around and stayed at 139-140.  I REALLY want to be a bit lighter for racing.  How much do you think I can diet and train?  I am trying, mentally, to eat to train instead of training to eat, and what I have noticed is that I eat too many starchy carbs.  How necessary are starchy carbs to training?  You think I can get away with cutting way back on these and fueling more from protein?  Does this even make sense?  Am I crazy to consider it?  It's not like I'm doing monster two a days for IM training.  I feel like I should be able to, but the carbs have become such a habit lately.  Please feel free to tell me I am crazy.  

Anyway, that is all, thanks in advance for any thoughts, comments, exclamations, protestations, snickers, scoffs, etc, etc... 

2010-04-16 4:01 PM
in reply to: #2796610

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
Subject: RE: Let's talk about re-cov-ery...
I'm no expert but I'll try to comment on a couple things.

Rest Days:  I don't schedule them most of the time.  For me, rest days happen when my schedule or body decide I need them.  The only time a build a rest day into my schedule is before a race.  If I overdo it one day or over the course of many days my body gets really loud.  My muscles will be sore, I'll feel fatigued and my temper gets really short.  Those all signal that it's time to take a break.  It usually happens about once a week but if life is really stressful it can happen more often.

Ice bath: I've never done one.  My husband ices his knees after we ride if they hurt during the ride but that's it.  I just stretch really well before training and then again after.  If I'm sore later I stretch again.  Maybe I'm missing something but it's been working for me.

Hot rooms:  One of my favorite places to stretch!

Diet:  I diet and train at the same time.  Of course my diet is counting calories and making sure my calories count.  I try to watch that I'm not eating garbage and that my fruit/veggie intake is high while my processed food intake is low.  Carbs are good for you as long as you stay within a healthy range and are eating the right kind.  Starchy carbs aren't necessary as long as you continue to get the right amount of carbs in your daily diet from other sources.  There are lots of websites out there that will tell you how many calories you should be getting daily based on your current height/weight, weight goals and number of calories burned during exercise then further break them down to tell you how many of your calories should come from fat, carbs and protein.  BT can track what you eat but it doesn't let you know if you're eating well or not.
2010-04-16 5:27 PM
in reply to: #2796518

User image

Master
Vista, CA

blackledge - 2010-04-16 9:57 AM Allison -  Unfortunately tonight is a friend's bday party and I have to drive out to Orland Park during rush hour on a Friday   So I will probably work out extra this weekend and just try not to eat too poorly tonight since it's at a bar. 

Will keep my fingers crossed for the house showing tomorrow! Sounds like a stressful process. We are considering a move in the next few years and while it will be exciting, it's also stressful -- and a huge chore to move everything. I guess there's no way to rent out your current place until the market picks up some? We did that when we moved into our current house, but that was 14 years ago now. GOOD LUCK!

2010-04-16 5:44 PM
in reply to: #2796610

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Subject: RE: Let's talk about re-cov-ery...

quincyf - 2010-04-16 10:29 AM Ok, I am ready to walk the straight and narrow with this recovery business, unfortunately I let myself get behind the power curve this last week...I am sore and tired.   Maybe y'all can point me in the right direction.

Here is what I am trying to do

Food:  carb+protein (real food if poss) within an hour after big workouts, small calorie portion, 150ish 
Sleep:  get more...
Rest days:  I am taking two a week to start.  This is my first real workup to a triathlon and I am determined not to get hurt.  I like to do core and upper body weights on these days if poss.  Do you think this is OK, or should I do weights on my aerobic days and leave the rest to pure rest?

Here is what I think I need to do but have questions on:

ice/cold water:  do you do this after every workout?  How soon?  Is it only beneficial right after working out?  If I am feeling sore and tired like today, is it too late the day after?  How long is too long to get the benefit from the ice bath?

roller:  how often do you do this?  What do you do?  

Hot rooms:  when are saunas/steam rooms a good idea?  Hot tubs?  Which of these is best?

Diet/stopping the carb madness (not really recovery, but I'm on a roll):  I swore I would be down to 130-133 by official training start but I goofed around and stayed at 139-140.  I REALLY want to be a bit lighter for racing.  How much do you think I can diet and train?  I am trying, mentally, to eat to train instead of training to eat, and what I have noticed is that I eat too many starchy carbs.  How necessary are starchy carbs to training?  You think I can get away with cutting way back on these and fueling more from protein?  Does this even make sense?  Am I crazy to consider it?  It's not like I'm doing monster two a days for IM training.  I feel like I should be able to, but the carbs have become such a habit lately.  Please feel free to tell me I am crazy.  

Anyway, that is all, thanks in advance for any thoughts, comments, exclamations, protestations, snickers, scoffs, etc, etc... 

Just my 2 cents on your above questions -- Sleep-- Yes more is good!   Food: Quality food -- cut or cutback refined stuff and processed as much as possible. Good idea to up the fruits and veggies and lean protein. You want to get a recovery meal of that 150 cals or so within 20 minutes after a hard ride/run. Something like chocolate milk, yogurt with banana or whole grain cereal and lowfat or skimmed milk. I like the Trader Joe's light choc soymilks. They are portable and 130 cals.

Rest days: I think if you need/want 2 rest days and they are built into your training plan, that's great. One thing I've learned this year from my coach and from research is to keep the hard days hard and the easy days easy. As triathletes and type "A" peeps we have a tendency to just go, go, go and I'm as guilty as anyone of that, but our training will be more beneficial if we go hard on challenging days and really allow our bodies to recover on rest and or easier days. I usually do not run two days in a row, unless training for a HIM and doing a longer slower paced run one day and then a shorter brick run the next day.  I think this is REALLY important -- easy days easy, hard days hard.

Ice baths: The only time I do ice baths is after a long run and by long I mean more than 15 or 16 miles. Then, I usually have this little body of water called the Pacific Ocean where I just go stand up to my hips since the water temp is at about 59 to 60 right now. But I have sat in a bathtub with ice and a sweatshirt on top drinking hot tea. It does help with inflammation.I think ice is best soon after the workout.

My coach has told me to avoid hot tubs. Not sure of the physical reason for that, but something to do with inflammation and circulation, I believe. That said, when my back aches from too much time on the bike or monthly cycle I'll sometimes get the heating pad on it.

Diet: My thoughts on that are if you eat leaner foods and cut the junk and refined out and watch your portions, oh and added sugar and alcohol, focus on whole grains and "good" fats (almonds, avocados, olive oil, flax seed) then add in your training, you'll probably drop pounds automatically and if not pounds, you'll lose inches. I use the app "Lose It" to track activity and exercise. It's a free app for the Ipod touch and iphone. I love it! And as an aside, I like the period tracker (sorry Ryan) for the other monthly cycle.

Roller: I "should" use it everyday. I probably use it, the stick, or the TP Therapy roller at least twice a week at night while watching junk TV.

I'm sure Yanti will have insights into your questions as well, but that's what came to me for now. All good questions and I don't think you're crazy, just passionate! --                                                                                                                                                                                                                

2010-04-16 6:47 PM

User image

Regular
Where The Peaches Grow
My 2 cents also, quincy...

I use my roller whenever I'm feeling particularly sore. I should probably use it more frequently, but I've found if my IT band is really bothering me, a few times a day for 2-3 days does the trick.

I'm also struggling with my diet. My boot camp trainer encourages the low carb, high fat, & high protein diet. It's really tough because I love carbs. However, I do notice a difference when I stick to the diet. When you limit carbs, the calories seem to limit themselves. I can't seem to stick with it more than a few days at a time, though. Baby steps, I suppose.

No swim for me tonight. I'm way too tired. I think I'm gonna go to bed early and get a good night's sleep for my long bike ride tomorrow. Maybe a swim after to work out the kinks.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TriAya (Yanti) and lmscozz (Lynn), Manatee Mentors--FULL! Rss Feed  

of 60