BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BamaDC's mentor group is Closed! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2010-07-12 12:43 PM
in reply to: #2781196

User image

Expert
Raleigh
Subject: RE: BamaDC's mentor group is Closed!
whassup yaw. Been crazy busy last cupla weeks. all i can do to find time to keep up my IM program. Leads to a question. I have been working out with a group of folks for several months. Mostly just for rides. Maybe get together once during the week for a 30 miler or so, then we do long ride on sat morn, and usually OWS on Sunday. When i started workin out with the group it was comprised of me, and about 3 other folks who were training for 1st IM. Everyone in the group besides me had done at least HIM.  There were also 3 people in the group who have completed multiple IM. So I was the least experienced, but was doing a lot of the pulling anyway Wink
So over the past month or so the makeup of the group has really changed, fewer and fewer of the IM have been showing up, and lots of newbies are coming. Nothing wrong with that, as i am a newbie myself, but here's my dilema. This past sat. we planned an 80 mile ride. only 5 of us showed up. Me, 1 IM bad azz, 1 dude training for his 1st IM, and 2 people who literally had only ridden their bikes twice. They only did the 1st 40 miles. The pace was excruciatingly slow. I only scheduled a babysitter for 5 hours, and we were literally riding for over 5 hours. TO DO 80 MILES!! It was insane. we only averaged 16 MPH, and thats only because the 2 newbie's quit after 40.

This group used to really challenge me. I was pushed every workout. Now, I'm begging people to just keep moving. Part of me thinks I should suck it up, and try and help some newbs like these other folks helped me. BUT, I am also azz deep in my IM program, and i don't wont to waste my training time screwing around. Whats say you? Blow em off? Tough it out?

2010-07-12 3:37 PM
in reply to: #2975449

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
titeloops - 2010-07-12 1:43 PM whassup yaw. Been crazy busy last cupla weeks. all i can do to find time to keep up my IM program. Leads to a question. I have been working out with a group of folks for several months. Mostly just for rides. Maybe get together once during the week for a 30 miler or so, then we do long ride on sat morn, and usually OWS on Sunday. When i started workin out with the group it was comprised of me, and about 3 other folks who were training for 1st IM. Everyone in the group besides me had done at least HIM.  There were also 3 people in the group who have completed multiple IM. So I was the least experienced, but was doing a lot of the pulling anyway Wink
So over the past month or so the makeup of the group has really changed, fewer and fewer of the IM have been showing up, and lots of newbies are coming. Nothing wrong with that, as i am a newbie myself, but here's my dilema. This past sat. we planned an 80 mile ride. only 5 of us showed up. Me, 1 IM bad azz, 1 dude training for his 1st IM, and 2 people who literally had only ridden their bikes twice. They only did the 1st 40 miles. The pace was excruciatingly slow. I only scheduled a babysitter for 5 hours, and we were literally riding for over 5 hours. TO DO 80 MILES!! It was insane. we only averaged 16 MPH, and thats only because the 2 newbie's quit after 40.

This group used to really challenge me. I was pushed every workout. Now, I'm begging people to just keep moving. Part of me thinks I should suck it up, and try and help some newbs like these other folks helped me. BUT, I am also azz deep in my IM program, and i don't wont to waste my training time screwing around. Whats say you? Blow em off? Tough it out?

This is going to sound cold (especially from another newbie) but I'd drop them.  I made a similar decision to stop riding with a group of people at my office.  I never knew what pace we'd being riding at and a lot times I had to stop at the top of hills to regroup.  I decided I should focus on my own training and have been much happier.  I feel like I can get a better workout and push myself.  I still ride with friends and others some times they all know that that I'm training and we talk about what everyone is interested in prior to the ride.  For example, I'm faster than my neighbor but I still like riding with him.  We'll go at a pace which is medium for me but really pushing it for him.  He can only hang on for so long but enjoys being pushed so we'll plan a route where he gets "dropped" near our house and I keep going.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that of the more experienced people share you concerns and aren't coming because they want to focus on their training.    I'd trying talking with them and also talking with the newbies to set expectations.  If you want to ride at xx mph tell them that at the start. 
2010-07-12 10:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
Mark,

My weightloss has stalled out.  I want to get serious and get things back on track but I'm not sure where to start.  I think you mentioned once about keeping a food journal, is that right?  Do you use the diet log here or something else?  One thing I know I need to so is figure out how many calories I should be consuming.  This sounds simple but I've had trouble doing it.  I tried cutting back while training for my marathon in the spring but I didn't have a good sense of what I need so I ended up cutting too much out and my training suffered. 

Edited by cornfed 2010-07-12 10:47 PM
2010-07-13 10:02 PM

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
titeloops - 2010-07-12 12:43 PM whassup yaw. Been crazy busy last cupla weeks. all i can do to find time to keep up my IM program. Leads to a question. I have been working out with a group of folks for several months. Mostly just for rides. Maybe get together once during the week for a 30 miler or so, then we do long ride on sat morn, and usually OWS on Sunday. When i started workin out with the group it was comprised of me, and about 3 other folks who were training for 1st IM. Everyone in the group besides me had done at least HIM.  There were also 3 people in the group who have completed multiple IM. So I was the least experienced, but was doing a lot of the pulling anyway Wink

Drop em!  You need a few long rides by yourself.  Get used to fighting demons.

Or if you don't feel safe riding alone, throw in some hard efforts and TT off the front.  Then double back and ride with the group and repeat.
2010-07-15 7:35 AM

User image

Master
North Alabama
titeloops - 2010-07-12 12:43 PM

I'm no expert, but I'd say drop them too. If you feel like it's a waste of time and all you're getting out of it is a crapy "time in the saddle" opportunity, drop 'em.

There's a group around in Birmingham, that I used to ride with. They were great for me when I was a beginner. As I rode more (lots more than the others), I got better, faster, and stronger. Then, the group just wasn't cutting it. I felt like I was wasting time trying to ride with them when all we did was 15mi in over an hour. Seemed we had to stop every couple of miles for everyone to regroup. I moved on.

Now, the group I ride with, I'm lucky if I can still see the pack after about 14mi of the 27mi. Usually that's when the pace takes off and I'm left sucking wind...

Good luck w/ your IM
2010-07-15 10:15 PM
in reply to: #2982224

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
LostSheep - 2010-07-15 7:35 AM
titeloops - 2010-07-12 12:43 PM

I'm no expert, but I'd say drop them too. If you feel like it's a waste of time and all you're getting out of it is a crapy "time in the saddle" opportunity, drop 'em.

There's a group around in Birmingham, that I used to ride with. They were great for me when I was a beginner. As I rode more (lots more than the others), I got better, faster, and stronger. Then, the group just wasn't cutting it. I felt like I was wasting time trying to ride with them when all we did was 15mi in over an hour. Seemed we had to stop every couple of miles for everyone to regroup. I moved on.

Now, the group I ride with, I'm lucky if I can still see the pack after about 14mi of the 27mi. Usually that's when the pace takes off and I'm left sucking wind...

Good luck w/ your IM

That's the group you want to ride with.  Giving it your all to suck wheel.  Those are the guys/gals your going to learn from.  When you pop, just go on with your regularly scheduled ride.

2010-07-16 9:47 AM
in reply to: #2982224

User image

Master

That's when you... ahem... show up! ;-)

If it makes you feel any better I got scorched last week.  Did hard workouts through Monday and then hit that Tuesday ride.  Got stuck at one stoplight and I was then riding with one guy who proceeded to drop me pretty good.  No hope of catching up - my legs were toast.  Rode solo for 15 miles.

Oh, and there was a nasty wreck on your stretch of John Rogers.  A few of the Tuesday Worlds guys went down.  One broke a collarbone and looked pretty well out of it.  You made it such a fast stretch of road that they use it as a sprint zone.  Chaos evidently ensued.

BTW, how is Trinity doing?

Edited by sand101 2010-07-16 10:01 AM
2010-07-16 10:32 AM
in reply to: #2984995

User image

Expert
Alabama
sand101 - 2010-07-16 9:47 AM

If it makes you feel any better I got scorched last week.  Did hard workouts through Monday and then hit that Tuesday ride.  Got stuck at one stoplight and I was then riding with one guy who proceeded to drop me pretty good.  No hope of catching up - my legs were toast.  Rode solo for 15 miles.

Oh, and there was a nasty wreck on your stretch of John Rogers.  A few of the Tuesday Worlds guys went down.  One broke a collarbone and looked pretty well out of it.  You made it such a fast stretch of road that they use it as a sprint zone.  Chaos evidently ensued.

I take offense to that statement.... oh, you weren't talking about me.

I suck wheel until we get to Ruffner, then i'm out.  I can't ever keep up once we hit Ruffner, but one day....

I don't mind getting dropped, because I look forward to the day that I can keep up and I know that will be an accomplishment.

I think a good winter of bike training will be in my future.

What did you do to the Worlds guys?  They must have seen you ride by so fast, they lost control wondering what just past them.

Edited by pilotzs 2010-07-16 10:32 AM
2010-07-18 1:16 PM
in reply to: #2985189

User image

Master
pilotzs - 2010-07-16 10:32 AM
sand101 - 2010-07-16 9:47 AM

I take offense to that statement.... oh, you weren't talking about me.

We have no sympathy for folks on vacation, either. ;-)

What did you do to the Worlds guys?  They must have seen you ride by so fast, they lost control wondering what just past them.

I'd love to agree with you, but they were there a while before I showed up.  I stopped quick to see if there was anything I could do, but fire rescue and ambulances were just getting there.
2010-07-18 3:16 PM

User image

Expert
Raleigh
OK peeps, let's hear about those workouts this weekend. I did 60 yesterday then a 2 mile run off the bike. Was planning on 5K, but the temp was about 102, so I had to cut the run short. Today was hour and half recovery ride. Tomorrow, is 7 mile run. Whachu guys get it this weekend?
2010-07-18 9:10 PM
in reply to: #2988232

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
titeloops - 2010-07-18 3:16 PM OK peeps, let's hear about those workouts this weekend. I did 60 yesterday then a 2 mile run off the bike. Was planning on 5K, but the temp was about 102, so I had to cut the run short. Today was hour and half recovery ride. Tomorrow, is 7 mile run. Whachu guys get it this weekend?

I had a race this weekend.  Ended up 2nd out of 15 in the AG and 15th out of 457 Overall.  Swam okay but it was long.  I had a great bike, 23+ mph on 216 watts is nice.  Didn't do too great on the run, but it is sub 7's. 

Swam a 6:58 for 400 meter, 1:34 per 100

Bike  23:50 for 9.3 miles, 23.41 mph

Ran 21:21 for 3.1 miles, 6:53/mile

Edited by BamaDC 2010-07-18 9:13 PM

2010-07-18 10:46 PM

User image

Master
titeloops - 2010-07-18 3:16 PM OK peeps, let's hear about those workouts this weekend. I did 60 yesterday then a 2 mile run off the bike. Was planning on 5K, but the temp was about 102, so I had to cut the run short. Today was hour and half recovery ride. Tomorrow, is 7 mile run. Whachu guys get it this weekend?

Not much - 2500yd swim on Saturday and a 5 mile run today.  My legs were just too toasted to do my 50 mile planned bike yesterday.

Not too good?  You are on some good drugs, my friend.
2010-07-19 6:30 AM
in reply to: #2988838

User image

Expert
Raleigh
sand101 - 2010-07-18 10:46 PM

Not much - 2500yd swim on Saturday and a 5 mile run today.  My legs were just too toasted to do my 50 mile planned bike yesterday.

No doubt. Those are crazy fast splits. Congrats on the great race!
2010-07-19 9:02 AM

User image

Expert
Alabama

Did a practice tri this weekend.

1200 yard swim 25:25 minutes

30 Mile Bike 1:42

4.2 mile run - 54 minutes

Bike was okay and didn't push it too hard.  Included one good climb, that I surprised myself on.

The run off the bike was horrible.  This really needs work....besides building better run fitness, any suggestions on how to improve this portion?  I did okay for the first 2 miles, but it was mostly walk the last 2 miles as my HR would shoot up immediatly.

There is still a lot of room for improvement.
2010-07-19 9:10 AM
in reply to: #2988838

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama

The winner(AG) ran a 17:48(5:44/mile).  After Rocketman, I plan to put in some serious work on the run.

I beat him in swimming

2010-07-19 10:38 AM
in reply to: #2989343

User image

Expert
Alabama
BamaDC - 2010-07-19 9:10 AM

The winner(AG) ran a 17:48(5:44/mile).  After Rocketman, I plan to put in some serious work on the run.

I beat him in swimming

that is some serious running, especially compared to my 11-12 min miles after biking.

2010-07-19 3:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
titeloops - 2010-07-18 4:16 PM OK peeps, let's hear about those workouts this weekend. I did 60 yesterday then a 2 mile run off the bike. Was planning on 5K, but the temp was about 102, so I had to cut the run short. Today was hour and half recovery ride. Tomorrow, is 7 mile run. Whachu guys get it this weekend?

I wasn't able to get to the pool (down visiting my parents) but I got my bike and run in.  Weather was similar in 100+ so the run sucked but I still got in 65 minutes of my planned 70 minute run plus 40 miles on the bike.
2010-07-19 7:46 PM

User image

Expert
Raleigh
i was out to dinner with some folks last night and hit the kettle one pretty hard. Then overslept this morning so it was HOT by the time i started what was supposed to be a 7 mile tempo run. Barfed at mile 2, and was reduced to run a minute/walk a minute by mile 5. At mile 6 I just quit. Note to self, no drinking the fire water the night before a long run.
2010-07-20 10:32 AM
in reply to: #2991220

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
titeloops - 2010-07-19 7:46 PM i was out to dinner with some folks last night and hit the kettle one pretty hard. Then overslept this morning so it was HOT by the time i started what was supposed to be a 7 mile tempo run. Barfed at mile 2, and was reduced to run a minute/walk a minute by mile 5. At mile 6 I just quit. Note to self, no drinking the fire water the night before a long run.

Just be glad it wasn't also coming from the other end.  I doubt you carry TP on your long runs. 

How are you feeling about your IM?
2010-07-20 2:13 PM

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
2010-07-20 4:07 PM
in reply to: #2992201

User image

Expert
Raleigh
BamaDC - 2010-07-20 10:32 AM
titeloops - 2010-07-19 7:46 PM i was out to dinner with some folks last night and hit the kettle one pretty hard. Then overslept this morning so it was HOT by the time i started what was supposed to be a 7 mile tempo run. Barfed at mile 2, and was reduced to run a minute/walk a minute by mile 5. At mile 6 I just quit. Note to self, no drinking the fire water the night before a long run.

Just be glad it wasn't also coming from the other end.  I doubt you carry TP on your long runs. 

I've had to run home with no socks more than once! Wink

Feeling purty good bout the IM, cept the run part. 26.2 just seems insane to me. The program I'm on actually has reduced my run volume as well, so thats freakin me out a little.

2010-07-21 7:41 AM
in reply to: #2993208

User image

Master
North Alabama

Feeling purty good bout the IM, cept the run part. 26.2 just seems insane to me. The program I'm on actually has reduced my run volume as well, so thats freakin me out a little.

Glad to know I'm not the only one I feel sorry for the grounds keeper of the golf course last summer. Wings the night before a long run was a 1 time thing. Never again!

Over the weekend, all I did was build a 10'x12' deck, change 2 ceiling fans, and yardwork. (See the logs)

This week though, time to start ramping it back up!
2010-07-21 8:15 AM
in reply to: #2976812

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
cornfed - 2010-07-12 11:13 PM Mark,

My weightloss has stalled out.  I want to get serious and get things back on track but I'm not sure where to start.  I think you mentioned once about keeping a food journal, is that right?  Do you use the diet log here or something else?  One thing I know I need to so is figure out how many calories I should be consuming.  This sounds simple but I've had trouble doing it.  I tried cutting back while training for my marathon in the spring but I didn't have a good sense of what I need so I ended up cutting too much out and my training suffered. 

Bueller...  Bueller...
2010-07-21 5:38 PM
in reply to: #2993208

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
titeloops - 2010-07-20 4:07 PM
BamaDC - 2010-07-20 10:32 AM

What's your race goal?

My longest run for my 2 IMs was 1.5 hours.   I'll change that up for next year, because the run is the thing holding me back.

Until your in the low 11s, "I" think you should really focus on becoming more efficent on the bike.
2010-07-21 5:40 PM
in reply to: #2994092

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
cornfed - 2010-07-21 8:15 AM
cornfed - 2010-07-12 11:13 PM Mark,

Bueller...  Bueller...

Most of the time I keep a paper log.  The BT site is great if you eat alot of premade commercial meals.  But I do alot of cooking at home and don't want to load all that info into BT.  You need to have you BMR tested, most fitness centers have a device that will give you a ball park figure.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BamaDC's mentor group is Closed! Rss Feed  

of 52