BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz' Spring Fling Mentor Group is FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 57

2011-01-03 11:02 AM
in reply to: #3274176

User image

Fall River, WI
Subject: RE: Newbz' Spring Fling Mentor Group is FULL!
jgerbodegrant - 2011-01-03 10:48 AM for me today:

Run:
warm up for 10 mins in HR zone 1-2.
Once your warmed up add in 4x30 sec accelerations, at hard effort and as much speed as you can get going in that short period. Allow 3 mins recovery between strides.

swim:
WU: 2x200 easy
Drills: 2x(1x100 fingertip drag, 1x100 catch up, 1x100 train tracks)
MS: 3x400 CI pace, aim for consistency in all 3 400s, start easy to keep pace.

Probably won't get the swim in as it's my birthday and all.  Run then sushi for dinner!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

MMMMmmmmm sushi!

2011-01-03 11:04 AM
in reply to: #3273834

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
silentcs42 - 2011-01-03 10:24 AM Newbz,

Any chance we could get a current roster of group members?

David, is this what you have???

Newbz = David Savoie - Mentor/Coach
tri808 = Jason
Dagwoodz = Josh
ClydeNewb = BJ
GoFaster = Neil
silentcs42 = Dan
inmyelement = Brent
bergstrom.mike = Mike
momo = Maurice
chmoore2 = Charlie
HollyW = Holly
msrevi = Matt
jmkizer = Janyne
_deb_ = Deb
jtrezza = Jackie
RBesecke = Rick
nakdboardr = Kevin
Catwoman = Rene
jgerbodegrant = Jonathan
2011-01-03 11:43 AM
in reply to: #3274176

User image

jgerbodegrant - 2011-01-03 5:48 AM for me today:

Run:
Once your warmed up add in 4x30 sec accelerations, at hard effort and as much speed as you can get going in that short period. Allow 3 mins recovery between strides.

swim:

Probably won't get the swim in as it's my birthday and all.  Run then sushi for dinner!!

Happy Birthday Jonathan...

I don't know how you do it every year.  Christmas, New Years, then your birthday.  It's like a 2 week party.
2011-01-03 11:45 AM
in reply to: #3274219

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
I think that Catwoman left us and maybe someone else too?

+ Wooden Bell = Jason
+ chasingkona = Ben
2011-01-03 11:45 AM
in reply to: #3274322

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
tri808 - 2011-01-03 12:43 PM
jgerbodegrant - 2011-01-03 5:48 AM for me today:

Run:

swim:

Happy Birthday Jonathan...

I don't know how you do it every year.  Christmas, New Years, then your birthday.  It's like a 2 week party.

I prefer to consolidate.  Christmas *is* my birthday!
2011-01-03 12:51 PM
in reply to: #3256274

User image

Regular
Well, my husband went back to work today, so I have to start putting an effort in to get my workouts again.  It was really nice to be able to just head out for a swim or run mid-day, but I'm a grown up, so I don't always get that luxury...

I did manage a 30 minute ride on the trainer this morning while my kids played though.  We have a decent set up.  My bike is set up in the room right below where my kids play and there's an open staircase there.  So, I can hear everything (and go up if needed) but the kids aren't in the same room as the bike and the fast moving wheel.

Tonight, I have a swim on the plan.

Can anybody give me some feedback on my training plan going forward?  I'm doing a half marathon April 17, and an Olympic triathlon Sept 10.  Those are the races I'm really training towards, although I have a couple of sprints in between (the first one is on June 4).

I'm thinking I'll do 4 runs a week until the HM, 2 bikes and 3 swims.

I want to focus on running until the HM, but I still need some serious work in the bike and swim.  I don't feel like I can really go easy in any area.  I don't really have a strong event since I've basically only started doing any of them since last May.  If I have a weak event, it's probably swimming, since I only learned how last spring, and I'm still really slow.  I've just signed up to do a swim program with the town's tri club, so that will be one of my swim sessions each week.  I'm hoping I can get some serious technique help with that.

After the HM, I figure I'll go to 3 runs, 3 bikes, and 3 swims.  Maybe a brick in addition to that.

Opinions?  Is it too much?  Prior to Christmas, I was doing 3-4 runs a week, 3 swims and 1-2 "bikes" on a stationary recumbent, so I don't think it's a huge jump in volume.  (I got a road bike and trainer for Christmas).  Before it got cold, I was usually doing 3 bikes a week on my hybrid bike with the kids in the trailer, but I was running shorter distances then too.

2011-01-03 2:00 PM
in reply to: #3274547

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
_Deb_ - 2011-01-03 1:51 PM Can anybody give me some feedback on my training plan going forward?  I'm doing a half marathon April 17, and an Olympic triathlon Sept 10.  Those are the races I'm really training towards, although I have a couple of sprints in between (the first one is on June 4).

I want to focus on running until the HM, but I still need some serious work in the bike and swim.  I don't feel like I can really go easy in any area.  I don't really have a strong event since I've basically only started doing any of them since last May.  If I have a weak event, it's probably swimming, since I only learned how last spring, and I'm still really slow.  I've just signed up to do a swim program with the town's tri club, so that will be one of my swim sessions each week.  I'm hoping I can get some serious technique help with that.

After the HM, I figure I'll go to 3 runs, 3 bikes, and 3 swims.  Maybe a brick in addition to that.

Opinions?  Is it too much?  Prior to Christmas, I was doing 3-4 runs a week, 3 swims and 1-2 "bikes" on a stationary recumbent, so I don't think it's a huge jump in volume.  (I got a road bike and trainer for Christmas).  Before it got cold, I was usually doing 3 bikes a week on my hybrid bike with the kids in the trailer, but I was running shorter distances then too.

It's more important to know how much time you are investing during those workouts.  If you plan on doing each one in 1/2 hour segments, it might not be enough.  You should increase your bike IMO.  The majority of your race will be on that bike.

oh and I see no picture of your new bike.  This is a shame in a MAJOR way!
2011-01-03 2:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lunenburg, Nova Scotia
30min spin today. Day 2 of the BT beginner biking program... which will lead up to my HIM plan, which starts in April.  I can't wait to not suck on the bike!
2011-01-03 2:38 PM

Lancaster
Happy birthday Jonathan.  My father's birthday as well, although at 52 I'm guessing he's got a few years on you.
2011-01-03 2:40 PM

Lancaster
Nice job on the sub 30 5k Deb.  That's about the goal I would be shooting for as well.  I hate running and running hates me, but I would feel like a real patsy doing an aquabike.  Triathlon just sounds so much cooler.
2011-01-03 3:28 PM
in reply to: #3274763

User image

Fall River, WI
Wooden Bell - 2011-01-03 2:15 PM 30min spin today. Day 2 of the BT beginner biking program... which will lead up to my HIM plan, which starts in April.  I can't wait to not suck on the bike!

I did that plan for a couple months.  I liked it because you can easily see the progression that you make.  While it was never easy, the first week was the hardest for me.

2011-01-03 3:34 PM

User image

Fall River, WI
So I got the bike and trainer in the house, got the bike shoes and shorts on and went online to see the details of my workout.  Oops, today is a swim and run day.  Had I known this I would have done a few less 12oz curls last night. 

Off to the Y I went and did my 34 min run.  Wasn't my greatest run but I managed 6.1mph through the entire run.  Canceled the run today because I signed up for the Masters Swim class that starts tomorrow morning.  Should be interesting to she how I feel about that decision when I am getting out of bed a 0445.  I don't even get up that early to go fishing.
2011-01-03 6:57 PM
in reply to: #3274935

User image

Champion
Jonathan,

Best i know that is the right list, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY/
Hope the weather up there is treating you decently.

All, internet and computer time is a bit spotty while i am here, but everyone looks like they are doing well.

Hopefully tomorrow i've got two past running articles i wrote that i want to put up and get a talk going about (those that were in my last group please excuse this, you've already seen it). For those newer to me/training on here it will do a good job of getting people thinking about running injuries and how to help prevent some of them, as well as how to work running into your training this winter and bring the times down without killing yourself and totally ruining the rest of your life.

2011-01-03 6:58 PM
in reply to: #3274329

User image

Champion
jmkizer - 2011-01-03 10:45 AM

I think that Catwoman left us and maybe someone else too?

+ Wooden Bell = Jason
+ chasingkona = Ben[/QUOTE

yeah catwoman and gofaster are out,
2011-01-03 7:01 PM
in reply to: #3274547

User image

Champion
_Deb_ - 2011-01-03 11:51 AM

Well, my husband went back to work today, so I have to start putting an effort in to get my workouts again.  It was really nice to be able to just head out for a swim or run mid-day, but I'm a grown up, so I don't always get that luxury...

I did manage a 30 minute ride on the trainer this morning while my kids played though.  We have a decent set up.  My bike is set up in the room right below where my kids play and there's an open staircase there.  So, I can hear everything (and go up if needed) but the kids aren't in the same room as the bike and the fast moving wheel.

Tonight, I have a swim on the plan.

Can anybody give me some feedback on my training plan going forward?  I'm doing a half marathon April 17, and an Olympic triathlon Sept 10.  Those are the races I'm really training towards, although I have a couple of sprints in between (the first one is on June 4).

What plan are you using? Let me know and i'll comment on that.

Once i know that i'll see what i can do helping with the bike at least (over the winter you can get a lot done in some fairly short focused workouts and save some of the longer work for once it gets warm outside).

2011-01-03 8:37 PM

Lancaster
Finally started the New Year tonight with a 45 minute spin.  I can already tell I will be receiving my penance for a month and a half of laziness.  Can't just ease into it, I have to go all out and I'm already feeling the soreness setting in after an hour.  Tomorrow should be fun lol.

2011-01-03 9:18 PM
in reply to: #3273267

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
msrevi - 2011-01-02 9:29 PM 1.5 hours on the trainer today (gag!..).  Actually wasn't too bad.  I have a business trip starting on Thursday this week for 4 days so I have to get the cycling and swimming in the next 3 or 4 days while I can.  Hope to also do a long run later this week anywhere from 10 to 12 mi....  Hope all is well with everyone !

P.S. - I got a camelback for Xmas and was wondering if anyone has used this while cycling?  Looks to be fairly aerodynamic?  I definately could see training with it for longer rides, but does anyone have experience racing with one?  Thanks!

While I have never used a camelback for biking, my buddy uses it and swears by it. He also uses it to store a couple extra tools,tubes, etc on his long rides so he doesn't need to stash them all over his bike. I wouldn't worry about the aerodynamics of it as long as it isn't a wind sail you'll do fine! 
2011-01-03 11:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY
Did a quick 25 minute run today. Very slow but felt hard. It was pretty cold out at about 25 degrees and i think my bronchitis or pneumonia is still lingering a bit. I bagged the swim i had planned as a result of how difficult the run was. I am training for a HIM on July 17th and have created a custom plan and imported it. 28 weeks in all, those who are interested take a look and let me know what you think. How do you think this compares to some of the paid plans or free ones available here?Spending 45 on the trainer tomorrow, first time on my Xmas gift!!
2011-01-04 12:39 AM

User image

I'm not sure about the exact aerodynamics of a camelbak...but I know that having a bulge on your back can actually help the aerodynamic flow of air over your head and shoulders.  Sort of bridging the small gap people may have between the tail of their aero helmet and their back.  The problem with a standard camelbak may be if air can get caught between the camelbak and your back.

For this reason...I believe camelbak has actually designed a race jersey that has an internal water bladder.  For one, the water keeps the riders back cool...and it is believed to AID in aerodynamics.  Not to mention the rider does not need to have a bottle anywhere on his frame...nor reach for it to drink.

http://www.rei.com/product/799551

Edited by tri808 2011-01-04 12:43 AM
2011-01-04 12:49 AM

User image

Ok...swimming question.

My legs sink like a rock.  I have a pretty weak kick to start with as well.

I saw a You Tube video about how your body is like a see-saw.  If your upper body is high, your legs will sink...and if you try to bury your upper body lower, your legs will rise.

I know everyone is different.  I seem some good swimmers who can keep their heads relatively high (where the waterline is aroung their forehead) yet thier legs are perfectly streamlined.  That's not me.  I would imagine there is a 5-10 degree tilt in my legs downward if I swim with the waterline at my forehead.

So I was wondering about trying to use a tip where you try to keep your head lower, and press down with your chest and arm pits.  Almost like you're trying to swim downhill.  I tried this for a short time tonight, and it felt faster...but it also felt very different as I had a harder time getting my recovery stroke high enough out of the water to get a good reach.  I did feel my legs come up.

Just wanted anyone's though on this before I try incorporating it a bit more.  I don't want to start any bad habbits that may make things worse.

Thanks.  I'll see if I can get some video of myself when I swim again Wednesday.
2011-01-04 2:20 AM
in reply to: #3275820

User image

Regular
Augusta
tri808 - 2011-01-04 12:49 AM Ok...swimming question.

My legs sink like a rock.  I have a pretty weak kick to start with as well.

I saw a You Tube video about how your body is like a see-saw.  If your upper body is high, your legs will sink...and if you try to bury your upper body lower, your legs will rise.

I know everyone is different.  I seem some good swimmers who can keep their heads relatively high (where the waterline is aroung their forehead) yet thier legs are perfectly streamlined.  That's not me.  I would imagine there is a 5-10 degree tilt in my legs downward if I swim with the waterline at my forehead.

So I was wondering about trying to use a tip where you try to keep your head lower, and press down with your chest and arm pits.  Almost like you're trying to swim downhill.  I tried this for a short time tonight, and it felt faster...but it also felt very different as I had a harder time getting my recovery stroke high enough out of the water to get a good reach.  I did feel my legs come up.

Just wanted anyone's though on this before I try incorporating it a bit more.  I don't want to start any bad habbits that may make things worse.

Thanks.  I'll see if I can get some video of myself when I swim again Wednesday.

Classic problem, and with a little tweaking, pretty easy to fix.

There are two approaches to take to get your legs closer to the surface and within your aero "tube" in the water.  One has to do with your head, the other has to do with relaxation.  Ideally, you want both to be as effective as possible.  I'm going to go over each one separately.

Without seeing you swim at all, I will wager that your legs are pretty tense when you're kicking.  Tense muscle = sinking muscle.  Relax your legs and use your abdominals, a little hip flexor to kick.  Your ankle should be laterally stiff, but vertically flexible.  This means that it will use the resistance of the water when on the downstroke to straighten out, (and you can give it a very very small whip at the end of the kicking stroke), and almost flattens out on the upstroke.  Not all the way, as you are still providing some propulsion with the upstroke.  If you're swimming distances greater than 200 yds at a clip, I would revert to a "2-beat" kick...i.e. one kick per arm stroke.  Don't force the kick, use it to maintain your stroke rhythm.   Your quads, calves and hamstrings need to be pretty relaxed...your kick should be coming from your core and your glutes.

Ok...on to the head.  There are different ways to orient your head in the water so that the water line is at your forehead.  One is to tilt the head back, lifting the chin.  This is incorrect.  You are placing a "kink" in your spinal column when you do this, taking the generally straight line created by your body and throwing it out of whack.  Your body is going to, through straight physics, compensate by dropping the legs to create balance. 

Ideally what you want to have happen is to be looking at about a 45 degree angle in front of you.  The water line should be at your hairline.  (for those who are balding, or have receding hairlines, my appologies.  Where your hairlines used to be)  When you breath, do NOT turn and lift your head.  Just tilt it slightly to the rear and side...your chin will create a little "pocket" that you can take a breath from with the top part of your mouth.  You won't need a lot...just a sip of air.  Now, I'll caveat that by saying that I breath every 2 strokes.  Always have...the only exception was when I was doing a 100 or 50.  Occasionally during 200's I would go every 4.  Beyond that, every 2...so breathing by "sipping" the air was plenty. 

ETA: When you take your "sip", turn your head back to it's normal position.  Don't wait for your recovering arm to "force" your head back in the water.  Doing this throws the timing of the stroke off and you'll start swimming crooked.

Hope all this helps!

Edited by Dagwoodz 2011-01-04 2:23 AM

2011-01-04 2:26 AM

User image

Regular
Augusta
Well, finally after 2+ weeks of various distractions, (admin stuff, IDF, training, holiday parties, etc...), I was finally able to get out and get a nice run in today.   Did about 45 minutes with the only goal being, "RUN...Just RUN".  Pace was a lot slower, and HR a lot higher than I wanted, but I just need to get the base down before I get home.  Tomorrow I'm going to do the same route, but control the HR, and run for longer.  Looking forward to it. 

2011-01-04 6:20 AM

Lancaster
Good tips Dagwoodz. 

I also breath every two strokes.  Just felt more natural.  It used to p*ss my coach off something awful.  He would walk up and down the pool glaring at me and screaming to quit breathing every two strokes during practice.  The he would break out the hose and try to spray water in my face every time I would breath on the 2nd stroke instead of 3.  I'm not sure what brought me closest to drowning, him spraying me with water while I tried to breath, or me not being able to catch a breath because I was laughing so hard at how mad he would get.
2011-01-04 6:52 AM
in reply to: #3275815

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
tri808 - 2011-01-04 1:39 AM I'm not sure about the exact aerodynamics of a camelbak...but I know that having a bulge on your back can actually help the aerodynamic flow of air over your head and shoulders.  Sort of bridging the small gap people may have between the tail of their aero helmet and their back.  The problem with a standard camelbak may be if air can get caught between the camelbak and your back.

For this reason...I believe camelbak has actually designed a race jersey that has an internal water bladder.  For one, the water keeps the riders back cool...and it is believed to AID in aerodynamics.  Not to mention the rider does not need to have a bottle anywhere on his frame...nor reach for it to drink.

http://www.rei.com/product/799551

Don't they use a Camelbak type hydration system in TdF TTs because it's more aero?
2011-01-04 6:55 AM
in reply to: #3275939

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Morning spin class/run brick completed.  I'm heading back after work to hit the pool.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Newbz' Spring Fling Mentor Group is FULL! Rss Feed  

of 57