BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2011-01-20 7:31 PM
in reply to: #3256935

User image

South Florida
Subject: RE: Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Closed
Nope. To cold for me. I live down in Sunny South Florida :-)

2011-01-20 7:44 PM
in reply to: #3312343

User image

New user
ahh you mentioned the marine corps marathon so i was hoping you would be near by. Would be nice to have someone in the same mentor group in the area haha. 

Did an hour jog bouncing between zone 1 and zone 2 with my new running partners earlier and tried out some of the tips that the physical therapist suggested. I definitely did feel a bit quicker with the same effort, but at the pace I was going it like I was wasting energy. Will have to do some more fiddling around on my quicker runs by myself. It would also be nice when I get my foot pod add on to my watch to compare the two.  
2011-01-21 6:46 AM
in reply to: #3312185

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
MAC36 - 2011-01-20 6:54 PM running is my weak point, mainly as i am heavier i tend to plod. Is there a "best way" to run or is it personnel choice and what people find comfortable 

what is the optimum foot strike, front, back , flat? 

tried the breathing in through nose on tonights run and have found i suffer from congestion while running so went back to purely mouth breathing. I see people wearing the nose strips, do they really help

So long as you don't have any glaring flaws in your form, running is very unique. I would never suggest someone to attempt something as drastic as "pose" running (although I know some very fast pose runners, so not bashing)

The key's that are fairly important
- don't cross over your midline with your hands (imagine you are split right down the middle, don't let your hands cross that line)
- Land with your center of balance over your foot. This is what most people confuse with "forefoot/midfoot striking"
It is important you land with your balance over your foot, it's (I admit arguably...although by definition most if not all fast runners are "heel strikers" especially as the distance increases) not smart to "force" yourself to land on fore/mid foot.

A good way to tell if you are holding your center of balance is this. Stand straight up and lift one foot back (like the end of a leg swing running) and hold it for a while. Do you wobble? If so (even a bit) you need to practice that... it shows you aren't comfortable with your weight over one foot.

/rant

I tried "forcing" my breathing when I started running, but I've found that by just leaving my mouth open and breathing pretty normal my hr/rpe goes down considerably.
2011-01-21 6:47 AM
in reply to: #3312343

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
nvalaitis - 2011-01-20 8:31 PM Nope. To cold for me. I live down in Sunny South Florida :-)

Envy
Rage
2011-01-21 6:51 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Guys I will be in Atlanta for the weekend (I am also a big Magic: the Gathering Nerd... alas it's the only hobby I have that I make money doing) trying to win some cash. I am not sure if the hotel has any internet access, if it does I'll be on to make sure everything is going good.

If anyone needs anything before monday, feel free to pm me, I'll definitely see the message/inspire when I log on and it's possible I may miss it if it's just on the board.

Have a great weekend everyone!
2011-01-21 10:44 AM
in reply to: #3312809

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Florida
Leegoocrap - 2011-01-21 6:51 AM Guys I will be in Atlanta for the weekend (I am also a big Magic: the Gathering Nerd... alas it's the only hobby I have that I make money doing) trying to win some cash. I am not sure if the hotel has any internet access, if it does I'll be on to make sure everything is going good.

If anyone needs anything before monday, feel free to pm me, I'll definitely see the message/inspire when I log on and it's possible I may miss it if it's just on the board.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Good luck and hope you bring home the money!!!

2011-01-21 1:39 PM
in reply to: #3312809

User image

New user
Magic the gathering. Man I haven't seen those cards in years! Used to play a lot back in the day. I wonder what happened to all my cards haha. Are they still creating new cards for the game?
2011-01-21 3:28 PM
in reply to: #3313859

User image

South Florida
Have fun in ATL this weekend! Just curious, how does one make money doing that? I've never played it before.. What is it exactlly?

I went to the running store today, different from where i bought them from, and asked them their thoughts. Basically they said that the heel height difference isn't much lower compared to the Ghost and it much be an electrolyte imbalance, So they gave me some pills called "hot legs" to counter act the lactic acid build up. So, its back to the drawingboard.

Happy Friday people!
2011-01-21 7:08 PM
in reply to: #3312798

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

Leegoocrap - 2011-01-21 5:46 AM So long as you don't have any glaring flaws in your form, running is very unique. I would never suggest someone to attempt something as drastic as "pose" running (although I know some very fast pose runners, so not bashing)

Great advice here...  Running and most movement sports are person specific.  There is a natural way that you run.  The key is to build slow so your body has the opportunity to respond to the stress naturally.  There are some fundamentals that can be followed and I think Leego listed them nicely.

Two things that can be safely changed.  1.  Cadence.  2.  Relax your upper body.  There shouldn't be much movement other than the swing of your arms.

Edited by velocomp 2011-01-21 7:11 PM
2011-01-21 7:10 PM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

O.k., so I know what some of your goals are for this year, but what are your long term dreams of Tri?

Mine has always been to have that perfect race and win my AG.  2 second places so far.  I'm not interested in IM distance.  Maybe Half.  But that is a big maybe.  I really like the shorter distances.  I also would like to go back to Nationals some day.  Hopefully this year.

2011-01-21 8:06 PM
in reply to: #3314452

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Florida
velocomp - 2011-01-21 7:10 PM

O.k., so I know what some of your goals are for this year, but what are your long term dreams of Tri?

Mine has always been to have that perfect race and win my AG.  2 second places so far.  I'm not interested in IM distance.  Maybe Half.  But that is a big maybe.  I really like the shorter distances.  I also would like to go back to Nationals some day.  Hopefully this year.

I did my first half last year and absolutely loved that distance. Will try and do 2 this year here in Florida. My ultimate goal is to do IM Florida but I don't know when that will be. Tried to do one last year but I had to back out because with my own buisness and 4 kids playing sports there just isn't enough time to train properly. That is my goal right now I just don't know whaen I will be able to fit it into my life. 

2011-01-21 8:23 PM

User image

South Florida
velocomp - 2011-01-21 8:10 PM

I really enjoy the 70.3 distance. (yes, i enjoy the toture) Last year my was my first half and loved every minute of it. Sprints are to short for me. The way i see it is, I spend all this time training and for it to be over in 60+ minutes, is a buzz kill. Unless it results in a podium finish or 1st in AG.

Goal this year to go long. There's a few races i have my eye on. Silverman in Vegas, and The Great Floridian. I figured Silverman, while im on the bike, the wife can go gamble and sight see, while i torture myself.  So i'm not sure which one to do...

Edited by nvalaitis 2011-01-21 8:28 PM
2011-01-22 7:02 AM

User image

Bronze member
velocomp - 2011-01-21 7:10 PM

Honestly my dream is to race on a tri bike! No dreams of long distance, well maybe a 1/2 IM. In fact if I wanted to do a full IM I would have to hide it from half of my family or listen to my Dad give me long lecture about my tri friends being a bad influence on me. Yes, I am almost 39 years old This happened last year when I did a 1/2 IM aqua/bike. I think the Oly distance is probably the right fit for me but I really don't like racing that distance on my road bike. I just can't keep up. Nothing worse than placing yourself in a good position out of the water and then watching everyone pass you on the bike. GRRRRR

I also agree about the perfect race. I feel like I never do it "right". Pacing is an issue, either too easy or so hard I can barely run.

Fun topic! Hope everyone is having a great weekend. No big plans for us. Just trying to stay warm.
2011-01-22 11:48 AM
in reply to: #3314877

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

trigal38 - 2011-01-22 6:02 AM
I also agree about the perfect race. I feel like I never do it "right". Pacing is an issue, either too easy or so hard I can barely run.

Fun topic! Hope everyone is having a great weekend. No big plans for us. Just trying to stay warm.

I have had races that are close.  And I have had what felt like the perfect run.  When without effort, I found myself just flying off the bike.  I have had good bikes, but none perfect.  And don't even get me started on swimming.  My mental defect.

2011-01-22 1:38 PM
in reply to: #3315182

User image

Bronze member
velocomp - 2011-01-22 11:48 AM

trigal38 - 2011-01-22 6:02 AM

I have had races that are close.  And I have had what felt like the perfect run.  When without effort, I found myself just flying off the bike.  I have had good bikes, but none perfect.  And don't even get me started on swimming.  My mental defect.

I know that feeling. I love swimming but put me in a race and I go brain dead. Someone touches me and you can hear me say "Oh, sorry!" over and over again. I am so comfortable in the water but in a race I can't wait to get out that lake!

2011-01-23 11:36 AM

User image

New user
Finished the biking part of my workout. Got a question when the BT training program refers to RPM. Here is the workout:
"Muscular Endurance 
15' warm up - nice smooth spinning - then shift into a the big chain ring and into a gear that allows you to spin at about 65-70 RPMs. You will spin 4x10 minutes in this gear - HR should be mid-high Z2 - recovery will be 5' easy between sets - you will probably see HR drift into Z3 - keep the cadence up - this is where you build strength. 10' cool down. "

when they are saying Spin at 65-70 RPM's. Are they referring to the Rate at which you are pedaling at, or the rate at which the wheel is spinning at. Was on the stationary cycle and I'm guessing it was measuring the wheel rpm. Also of the two measuring tools on a bike, which would be more important. pedaling cadence or Speed and distance. Eventually I will have both pods but for right now only one.

Off to the swimming portion now.  

2011-01-23 4:15 PM
in reply to: #3316290

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

Andr3w - 2011-01-23 10:36 AM Finished the biking part of my workout. Got a question when the BT training program refers to RPM. Here is the workout:
"Muscular Endurance 
15' warm up - nice smooth spinning - then shift into a the big chain ring and into a gear that allows you to spin at about 65-70 RPMs. You will spin 4x10 minutes in this gear - HR should be mid-high Z2 - recovery will be 5' easy between sets - you will probably see HR drift into Z3 - keep the cadence up - this is where you build strength. 10' cool down. "

when they are saying Spin at 65-70 RPM's. Are they referring to the Rate at which you are pedaling at, or the rate at which the wheel is spinning at. Was on the stationary cycle and I'm guessing it was measuring the wheel rpm. Also of the two measuring tools on a bike, which would be more important. pedaling cadence or Speed and distance. Eventually I will have both pods but for right now only one.

RPMs or revolutions per minute relate to your pedaling cadence.  65-70 is a pretty slow RPM.  Hmmm.  As to your second question.  I believe speed is more important than cadence, but you can't have speed without cadence.   Chicken and egg.  you want to be able to hold a high cadence while keeping your gearing appropriate to deliver the speed that you wish to travel.

2011-01-23 5:11 PM
in reply to: #3316646

User image

Bronze member
velocomp - 2011-01-23 4:15 PM

Andr3w - 2011-01-23 10:36 AM Finished the biking part of my workout. Got a question when the BT training program refers to RPM. Here is the workout:
"Muscular Endurance 

RPMs or revolutions per minute relate to your pedaling cadence.  65-70 is a pretty slow RPM.  Hmmm.  As to your second question.  I believe speed is more important than cadence, but you can't have speed without cadence.   Chicken and egg.  you want to be able to hold a high cadence while keeping your gearing appropriate to deliver the speed that you wish to travel.

Agree with above. I started out with just a simple bike computer. It displayed time, speed and distance. Lots of days I wouldn't even turn it on and just base my workout on time and RPE. Now I have updated but I really don't use the cadence feature that much. Outdoors I just check to see what my cadence is periodically. Especially when I'm into the wind or going up hill as I tend to not change gears and try to grind it out (not good on the knees). I use the cadence feature primarily indoors on the trainer (although I think I need to replace the battery at the moment).

2011-01-23 6:51 PM

User image

New user
Not sure what I was thinking, must have been tired at the time lol. Thanks for the info though. Went to the pool today to do my last part of the workout. 

Speed 
WU: 300 
MS: 
10x50 Z4 on 20" rest. 
10x50 Z5 on 30" rest. 
10x50: sprint 25, easy 25 on 15" rest. 
CD: 200 

Did the Warm up and think I started out a little too hard on the first 10x50. Had a double wide lane today, so I decided to round the corner on the way back. Also don't really know how to kick off the wall. My time was between 39-40.0 for pretty much all 10 reps. After that I got a cramp on my upper leg which started on my right. Took a little break and did another warm up and upper leg on the left cramped. That pretty much ended my day at the pool. Is 30-40 seconds even a decent time or do I have a lot of work to do. This time around I was much more comfortable breathing in the water and didn't swallow as much water.

Felt like a pretty good workout today, the bike workout seemed to really kill my legs staying between 65 and 70 rpm and all that resistance. 

When you guys train, do you normally do each workout back to back with little rest in between? Or do you try to have a good amount of rest in between workouts like one in the morning and another in the afternoon.

2011-01-23 7:30 PM
in reply to: #3316902

User image

Bronze member
Andr3w - 2011-01-23 6:51 PM Not sure what I was thinking, must have been tired at the time lol. Thanks for the info though. Went to the pool today to do my last part of the workout. 

Speed 
WU: 300 
MS: 
10x50 Z4 on 20" rest. 
10x50 Z5 on 30" rest. 
10x50: sprint 25, easy 25 on 15" rest. 
CD: 200 

Did the Warm up and think I started out a little too hard on the first 10x50. Had a double wide lane today, so I decided to round the corner on the way back. Also don't really know how to kick off the wall. My time was between 39-40.0 for pretty much all 10 reps. After that I got a cramp on my upper leg which started on my right. Took a little break and did another warm up and upper leg on the left cramped. That pretty much ended my day at the pool. Is 30-40 seconds even a decent time or do I have a lot of work to do. This time around I was much more comfortable breathing in the water and didn't swallow as much water.

Felt like a pretty good workout today, the bike workout seemed to really kill my legs staying between 65 and 70 rpm and all that resistance. 

When you guys train, do you normally do each workout back to back with little rest in between? Or do you try to have a good amount of rest in between workouts like one in the morning and another in the afternoon.

Great job with your workouts today! I think your legs probably cramped because you rode the bike first. Just switch those two things around next time. That's why the swim is the first thing in the race! Here is a video I found for learning how to do an open turn: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIkcJt5HY1oIf the link does not work search go swim, open turn step 1.  Basically just take your last breath, touch the wall, and push back off the wall in a streamlined position under the water. 30-40 seconds is a really good time! I don't typically do the workouts back to back mostly due to time and the kids.
2011-01-24 6:21 AM
in reply to: #3313859

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Andr3w - 2011-01-21 2:39 PM Magic the gathering. Man I haven't seen those cards in years! Used to play a lot back in the day. I wonder what happened to all my cards haha. Are they still creating new cards for the game?

There were 1300 people playing Saturday, 9 rounds cut to top 64 on Sunday. I finished 73 by tiebreakers... very disappointing. First place walked away with $15k. It's a fairly lucrative "game"

I used to play semi-pro in early 2000, and it quickly becomes a source of income if you can constantly finish in the top 10%.

2011-01-24 10:18 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
velocomp - 2011-01-21 8:10 PM

Long Term - Finish first in AG at a big event. Get close to Elite status. It's also a possibility I make the switch over to Bike Racing exclusively if I can ever get good enough on the bike to move out of Cat4
2011-01-24 10:33 AM
in reply to: #3302243

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Wendy I totally missed this post the other day, sorry for a late response!

wendy9447 - 2011-01-15 11:34 PM Haven't had much to say as I really am not even a beginnier yet, just a wannabe.  I did a VO2 test a couple of weeks ago and the trainer gave me a series of base builder cardio workouts.  I have been doing these on the treadmill, the bike and in the pool over the past 2 weeks.  They seem very low intensity to me.  Is this OK? Keeping workout in HR Zones 1, 2 and 3 so far. 

Starting off slow (imo) and ending up undertrained is much better than going to hard and either overtraining or getting burned out. There will be plenty of time later on when you will be wishing for the easy days again

I have been to the LBS to get fitted for a bike.  Owner wants to get me out on a couple of test rides, but weather here in Colorado has not been so conducive.  Too much snow to get out on the trails.  The 'excercycle' at the club is horrid.  The spin bikes have no metrics, so I can keep track of heart rate (with my HRM), but not mileage, at least as far as I can tell.  Is there some way to monitor this, or should I just let it go?

Honestly I wouldn't worry much about it. Go and get in some time, but as a general rule, the exercycle's at gyms are so far and different from an actual bike that it's hard to get any quality gains from them.

Have purchased an FT80 Polar HRM, which I like.  Don't know, however, if it's possible to directly upload infom from this to the traning logs here....can I, or does it matter if I can?
I think BT only supports Garmin's, but you might want to ask Ron or Marmadaddy in the site support forum.

Also, did a 70 minute swim last week.  Discovered that I can actually swim freestyle for this time.  Yipee....used to do this a lot MANY years ago....maybe a bit like riding a bike...hope the biking comes back as well when I finally get one.   How important is it to find an open swim location to practice that prior to a first event

Extremely. Swimming in open water is much different from the pool, and even some very good swimmers can get in trouble if they aren't used to open water swimming. It's also important to realize that you probably WILL get kicked/smacked/pulled in the water. As a general rule, "beginners" start toward the back and on the outside (if the turn bouy is on the right, beginners/weak swimmers start on the back left side of the "mass."

I am currently planning to go to the CapTexTri in Austin in the end of May, hoping to do the olympic distance there.   I have never done a Tri, wondering if I should find a sprint closer to home before that to at least try out the transition stuff....thoughts???
If you can do a sprint first, I would... an olympic is a long way if you are having a hard time / hate it
There are a lot of video's on here about transitioning and how to practice it. It also depends on how important time is to you how much transition practice you do... at my Full my transitions were around 1' each, counting fighting with 50 other people in the changing tents.

I also read "Born to Run" at my sister and my children's recommendations (can you say 'too many cooks'?)  I bought a pair of Nike Frees today...3.0 V2 - suggestions for transition from my current Brooks to these?   Is there somewhere to watch running strides on video - I really have no idea about technique or how I might go about getting this right....up until now I've been doing mostly treadmill walking at about 4 miles an hour and need some idea where to start if I'm going to do outside running at any faster speed. 

Enough questions for now? Thanks for any feedback, Wendy.

Nike 3.0's are a very thin racer type of shoe. What were you running in?

I run in neutral shoes and race in lightweight racers like the Free's, but I couldn't do the bulk of my training in something like that.
2011-01-24 12:00 PM

User image

New user
Man. Another day (possibly few days) set back on training. 4ft diameter water main or something broke last night which cut all water supply to the base and surrounding areas. Potentially could be out for the next few days. I can get my training done, but will have no way to shower. 
2011-01-24 1:07 PM
in reply to: #3318272

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Andr3w - 2011-01-24 1:00 PM Man. Another day (possibly few days) set back on training. 4ft diameter water main or something broke last night which cut all water supply to the base and surrounding areas. Potentially could be out for the next few days. I can get my training done, but will have no way to shower. 

no shower? That sounds a bit sketchy whew, after a day or two...

... you could always bathe in the river!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 22