BT Development Mentor Program Archives » disturbed275's Mentor Group - Closed! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2011-02-02 1:53 PM
in reply to: #3256996

User image

New user

Subject: RE: disturbed275's Mentor Group - Closed!
So Monday I was at the pool....and it all CLICKED (finally!)!!!!   I figured out my breathing, got in the "zone," and swam 1000m!!!  It was AWESOME!  A new PR and a renewed sense of confidence!  I'm stoked!

2011-02-02 6:34 PM
in reply to: #3335617

User image

kitkat724 - 2011-02-02 11:53 AM So Monday I was at the pool....and it all CLICKED (finally!)!!!!   I figured out my breathing, got in the "zone," and swam 1000m!!!  It was AWESOME!  A new PR and a renewed sense of confidence!  I'm stoked!

Great to hear its a nice feeling for sure

2011-02-02 6:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka Beach, MN
kitkat724 - 2011-02-02 1:53 PM So Monday I was at the pool....and it all CLICKED (finally!)!!!!   I figured out my breathing, got in the "zone," and swam 1000m!!!  It was AWESOME!  A new PR and a renewed sense of confidence!  I'm stoked!

That is great!!  I think we all remember that day!   Congrats! 
2011-02-02 10:09 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
kitkat724 - 2011-02-02 1:53 PM So Monday I was at the pool....and it all CLICKED (finally!)!!!!   I figured out my breathing, got in the "zone," and swam 1000m!!!  It was AWESOME!  A new PR and a renewed sense of confidence!  I'm stoked!

Congrats to you!!  It's always nice when something clicks!
2011-02-03 2:13 PM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas
kitkat724 - 2011-02-02 11:53 AM So Monday I was at the pool....and it all CLICKED (finally!)!!!!   I figured out my breathing, got in the "zone," and swam 1000m!!!  It was AWESOME!  A new PR and a renewed sense of confidence!  I'm stoked!

Yes! I love that feeling. I was at the pool last night and every once in a while I would have 200-300 yards of smooth, fast, effortless swimming before my stroke would fall apart again. Congrats, keep going!!

2011-02-03 2:18 PM

kitkat724 - 2011-02-02 2:53 PM So Monday I was at the pool....and it all CLICKED (finally!)!!!!   I figured out my breathing, got in the "zone," and swam 1000m!!!  It was AWESOME!  A new PR and a renewed sense of confidence!  I'm stoked!

Good for you Kat! Keep up the hard work!

2011-02-03 3:13 PM

kitkat724 - 2011-02-02 2:53 PM So Monday I was at the pool....and it all CLICKED (finally!)!!!!   I figured out my breathing, got in the "zone," and swam 1000m!!!  It was AWESOME!  A new PR and a renewed sense of confidence!  I'm stoked!

Good deal.  I really need to start getting in the water.  I've been in the middle of negotiations at work for a new job and wasn't sure where I would be working so I had to hold off on a gym membership.  I just found out yesterday where I'll be working so I can go get my membership now and hit the pool.
2011-02-03 5:27 PM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas
So the question is how tired do you have to feel before you skip a workout?  I did not sleep well last night, I swam a 8:00pm and just had a hard time getting to sleep, so today I can barely keep my eyes open, and I've had a headache all day. I am facing a 2hr 20min ride on the longest hills I can find, plus a cool down swim.  I do not want to over do it but I also don't want to miss training. I was thinking of maybe just doing a spin on the trainer at home.

Any impute will be welcome.

2011-02-03 6:33 PM
in reply to: #3338165

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka Beach, MN
mikoy - 2011-02-03 5:27 PM So the question is how tired do you have to feel before you skip a workout?  I did not sleep well last night, I swam a 8:00pm and just had a hard time getting to sleep, so today I can barely keep my eyes open, and I've had a headache all day. I am facing a 2hr 20min ride on the longest hills I can find, plus a cool down swim.  I do not want to over do it but I also don't want to miss training. I was thinking of maybe just doing a spin on the trainer at home.

I typically will watch my heart rate (resting) and at low exertion levels and make a call from that.  Tired is one thing, but if you are showing early signs of becoming ill, probably better to rest.  Even with the "just tired" side of things, watch the HR and make sure that you don't overdo it!!!  Sleep/Rest is just as important as training!
2011-02-03 7:47 PM
in reply to: #3338247

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
ball6135 - 2011-02-03 6:33 PM
mikoy - 2011-02-03 5:27 PM So the question is how tired do you have to feel before you skip a workout?  I did not sleep well last night, I swam a 8:00pm and just had a hard time getting to sleep, so today I can barely keep my eyes open, and I've had a headache all day. I am facing a 2hr 20min ride on the longest hills I can find, plus a cool down swim.  I do not want to over do it but I also don't want to miss training. I was thinking of maybe just doing a spin on the trainer at home.

I typically will watch my heart rate (resting) and at low exertion levels and make a call from that.  Tired is one thing, but if you are showing early signs of becoming ill, probably better to rest.  Even with the "just tired" side of things, watch the HR and make sure that you don't overdo it!!!  Sleep/Rest is just as important as training!

Yes, sleep/rest is a very important aspect of training that I think many people neglect (myself included).  In your case if you are just tired from lack of sleep you'll probably be okay.  Combine that with some fatigue and you can run into issues.  Typically what I do when I'm feeling particularly tired I will head out with the intent of completing the workout.  A lot of times once I get started I'm good to go.  Other times though, it will be a struggle and my effort level seems disproportionately high.  I'll cut the workout short then.
2011-02-04 2:22 PM
in reply to: #3338326

User image

Regular
Las Vegas
disturbed275 - 2011-02-03 5:47 PM
ball6135 - 2011-02-03 6:33 PM

Yes, sleep/rest is a very important aspect of training that I think many people neglect (myself included).  In your case if you are just tired from lack of sleep you'll probably be okay.  Combine that with some fatigue and you can run into issues.  Typically what I do when I'm feeling particularly tired I will head out with the intent of completing the workout.  A lot of times once I get started I'm good to go.  Other times though, it will be a struggle and my effort level seems disproportionately high.  I'll cut the workout short then.

I think that is good advise, and I will use it.  Thanks

2011-02-05 3:14 PM

User image

Regular
Cairns - Australia
kitkat724 - 2011-02-03 5:53 AM So Monday I was at the pool....and it all CLICKED (finally!)!!!!   I figured out my breathing, got in the "zone," and swam 1000m!!!  It was AWESOME!  A new PR and a renewed sense of confidence!  I'm stoked!

That's excellent, I always find swimming a bit hard but once I relax and just go with it, it is surprising what you achieve
2011-02-05 3:23 PM

User image

Regular
Cairns - Australia
Well Cyclone Yasi has gone and we survived, can't say too much about the towns 2 hours down from us though.  Cairns had mainly damage to signs, trees be uprooted and fences coming down, not too much in house damage.  Where my sister-in-law lives in Mission Beach & Tully they lost houses, my brother-in-law would have lost his caravan, which he lives in and boat and car but lucky he is not up here at the moment and he hasn't seen the damage yet.  The beaches are now on the roads and through houses.  SmileNo fatalities.

Just been accepted for the Cairn Challenge Half, was on a waitlist, so now I do have an incentive to train, this is in June.

Did a 45 min run with Charlie on Saturday, felt sluggish and it was hot but got through it.  Had to run on the road mostly due to trees still being on footpaths.
2011-02-05 5:01 PM
in reply to: #3340754

lizmoll - 2011-02-05 4:23 PM Well Cyclone Yasi has gone and we survived, can't say too much about the towns 2 hours down from us though.  Cairns had mainly damage to signs, trees be uprooted and fences coming down, not too much in house damage.  Where my sister-in-law lives in Mission Beach & Tully they lost houses, my brother-in-law would have lost his caravan, which he lives in and boat and car but lucky he is not up here at the moment and he hasn't seen the damage yet.  The beaches are now on the roads and through houses.  SmileNo fatalities.

Just been accepted for the Cairn Challenge Half, was on a waitlist, so now I do have an incentive to train, this is in June.

Did a 45 min run with Charlie on Saturday, felt sluggish and it was hot but got through it.  Had to run on the road mostly due to trees still being on footpaths.

Glad to hear you are OK.  Sounds like everyone was pretty fortunate and it could have been a lot worse.
2011-02-05 5:03 PM

Well, signed up at the local gym yesterday and did my first swim today.  Wow do I have a lot of work to do.  I managed 200 meters in 5:14 without stopping.  Then did another 225 m of stroke work.  At least I have a starting point now and a place to swim so nowhere to go but up!  All in all, it felt good to be back in a pool.  Now I'm looking forward to a 50 mile bike ride tomorrow with a few friends.
2011-02-06 8:48 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
lizmoll - 2011-02-05 3:23 PM Well Cyclone Yasi has gone and we survived, can't say too much about the towns 2 hours down from us though.  Cairns had mainly damage to signs, trees be uprooted and fences coming down, not too much in house damage.  Where my sister-in-law lives in Mission Beach & Tully they lost houses, my brother-in-law would have lost his caravan, which he lives in and boat and car but lucky he is not up here at the moment and he hasn't seen the damage yet.  The beaches are now on the roads and through houses.  SmileNo fatalities.

That's good news.  Glad to hear you're okay and things turned out as well as they did

2011-02-07 8:21 AM
in reply to: #3340861

nealham12 - 2011-02-05 6:03 PM Well, signed up at the local gym yesterday and did my first swim today.  Wow do I have a lot of work to do.  I managed 200 meters in 5:14 without stopping.  Then did another 225 m of stroke work.  At least I have a starting point now and a place to swim so nowhere to go but up!  All in all, it felt good to be back in a pool.  Now I'm looking forward to a 50 mile bike ride tomorrow with a few friends.

Good start and attitude! That's a recipe for success.
2011-02-07 8:29 AM

lizmoll - 2011-02-05 4:23 PM Well Cyclone Yasi has gone and we survived, can't say too much about the towns 2 hours down from us though.  Cairns had mainly damage to signs, trees be uprooted and fences coming down, not too much in house damage.  Where my sister-in-law lives in Mission Beach & Tully they lost houses, my brother-in-law would have lost his caravan, which he lives in and boat and car but lucky he is not up here at the moment and he hasn't seen the damage yet.  The beaches are now on the roads and through houses.  SmileNo fatalities.

I'm so happy to hear your ok. Scary stuff.
2011-02-07 1:49 PM

Anyone here have any experience with the Total Immersion swimming?  I picked up a book on it recently and have been reading it.  I'm only through the first few chapters but it has some interesting concepts.  Just wondering if anyone is using this and if it works anywhere near as well as the author claims.
2011-02-07 2:02 PM
in reply to: #3343395

I've seen the DVD and found it helpful.
2011-02-07 6:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
lizmoll - 2011-02-05 3:23 PM Well Cyclone Yasi has gone and we survived, can't say too much about the towns 2 hours down from us though.  Cairns had mainly damage to signs, trees be uprooted and fences coming down, not too much in house damage.  Where my sister-in-law lives in Mission Beach & Tully they lost houses, my brother-in-law would have lost his caravan, which he lives in and boat and car but lucky he is not up here at the moment and he hasn't seen the damage yet.  The beaches are now on the roads and through houses.  SmileNo fatalities.

Glad you are okay!!! 

2011-02-07 9:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka Beach, MN
nealham12 - 2011-02-07 1:49 PM Anyone here have any experience with the Total Immersion swimming?  I picked up a book on it recently and have been reading it.  I'm only through the first few chapters but it has some interesting concepts.  Just wondering if anyone is using this and if it works anywhere near as well as the author claims.

I used it to get me past "thinking I was going to die" after 25m to "finishing" my workout comfortably.  To get marginally faster (after about 6 months of that) I went to a coach with underwater and above water video... that make a HUGE difference...  I'm not a fast swimmer, but I am typically a bit over 30 for a 1/2 and 1-1:07 in a full...  

So... yes, it is worth it and good!!... top it off with a qualified coach (that understands you aren't trying to qualify for nationals in swimming) if you want to go even further...  
2011-02-08 10:45 AM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas
nealham12 - 2011-02-07 11:49 AM Anyone here have any experience with the Total Immersion swimming?  I picked up a book on it recently and have been reading it.  I'm only through the first few chapters but it has some interesting concepts.  Just wondering if anyone is using this and if it works anywhere near as well as the author claims.

I read it and used the techniques in it and I think it is great.  I did 37 in my 1st tri ever a half IM. I also had my googles kicked off twice and cramped at the end and because I forgot to watch were I was swimming and this added a lot of extra distance. I think I could have been a lot closer to 30 if I had been more experienced on how the whole swim thing work. The whole washing machine was a little tough the first time.

If you can get a good coach with video that is the best though, I have no idea if Im even doing the techniques right, but I feel real fast when I swim. I think the book really helped me, bottom line.

2011-02-08 8:27 PM
in reply to: #3344213

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
ball6135 - 2011-02-07 9:31 PM
nealham12 - 2011-02-07 1:49 PM Anyone here have any experience with the Total Immersion swimming?  I picked up a book on it recently and have been reading it.  I'm only through the first few chapters but it has some interesting concepts.  Just wondering if anyone is using this and if it works anywhere near as well as the author claims.

I used it to get me past "thinking I was going to die" after 25m to "finishing" my workout comfortably.  To get marginally faster (after about 6 months of that) I went to a coach with underwater and above water video... that make a HUGE difference...  I'm not a fast swimmer, but I am typically a bit over 30 for a 1/2 and 1-1:07 in a full...  

So... yes, it is worth it and good!!... top it off with a qualified coach (that understands you aren't trying to qualify for nationals in swimming) if you want to go even further...  

My thoughts exactly.  I used TI when I first started and it helped get me comfortable in the water and able to complete the distances.  After my first season though I wanted to work on speed gains and saw better results working with a coach.
2011-02-08 10:04 PM

User image

New user

nealham12 - 2011-02-07 2:49 PM Anyone here have any experience with the Total Immersion swimming?  I picked up a book on it recently and have been reading it.  I'm only through the first few chapters but it has some interesting concepts.  Just wondering if anyone is using this and if it works anywhere near as well as the author claims.

Yes!  I read (most) of the book and decided to get the video.  The video really helps explain the concepts in the book.  I began using TI, and it has really helped me become more comfortable and confident in the water.  I recently swam 1000m w/o stopping (PR) using TI techniques after not being able to swim 50m w/o stopping.  Sure, you may not be the quickest...but if you want a start to helping you feel comfortable swimming long distances...I strongly recommend TI! 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » disturbed275's Mentor Group - Closed! Rss Feed  

of 16