BT Development Mentor Program Archives » disturbed275's Mentor Group - Closed! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2010-12-21 9:04 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Subject: disturbed275's Mentor Group - Closed!
I am available to start mentoring immediately

NAME:
disturbed275 / Neal

STORY: I am heading into my fourth season of participating in triathlons. I began running 4 years ago as a way to lose some weight and after doing a handful of running races over the next couple of years I decided to enter the triathlon world to seek out a new challenge. I've completed quite a few races over those years and finally made the step up to Ironman last fall

FAMILY STATUS: 29 (almost 30, yipes!), single (i.e. tons of training time )

CURRENT TRAINING: I have been enjoying my off season this year.  I was a little burned out on the tri training after IMWI so I took some time off to focus on strength and flexibility training, which I've been doing via p90x.  Come the new year my p90x experiment will come to a close and I will start working on a base before my official IM training plan starts up in February.

2010 RACES: Last year was a fun year.  In addition to several local races I did Escape from Alcatraz, ran a sub 5 hr HIM, and completed my first Ironman

2011 RACES: So far only IMKS and IMWI are on the calendar, but I'll be sure to participate in a handful of local events as well.  Oh, I'm also doing a half marathon in Carlsbad in a few weeks that I'm not all that prepared for

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS: I have no tangible weight loss goals at the moment, but I do have experience in that department. As I mentioned earlier I used running as a means to lose weight about 4 years ago. I dropped about 50 pounds in doing so and have managed to keep it off since then (except for those pesky 10 pounds that sneak back on in the winter. Grrr).

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: This will be my 4th time as a mentor.  I've seen firsthand how great these groups are at bringing people together and providing motivation.  I want to see everyone have fun and provide inspiration to each other.  I guess you could say at this point in my tri career that I am somewhat of a veteran.  I have learned much along the way and have the desire to share that experience with others so that they hopefully have an easier time getting into this sport. I won't claim to have all the answers (in fact I hope to learn just as much as I can teach), but I will work to find the answers that you need through the wonderful community that is BT. I also want to show others what a fun and rewarding sport this can truly be. Sometimes we get caught up in the competition (guilty as charged), but at the end of the day I usually sit back and ask myself if I had a good time. The answer is usually yes and that's why I keep coming back to this sport. I am on the site daily, so I will be able to handle your questions in a timely manner, check up and inspire your blog, or give you a swift kick to get that training going

Edited by disturbed275 2010-12-29 9:01 PM

2010-12-25 11:19 PM
in reply to: #3256996

User image

Regular
Cairns - Australia
Subject: RE: disturbed275's Mentor Group - Open
Hi Disturbed 275

Do you want an Aussie to mentor.  I am a plodder have done 3 half ironmans, two in China and one here in Cairns.  I have also attempted 3 other halfs but not completed one due to cramping in the swim, did get onto the bike but after the second lap became quite nausceous and pulled out.  One in Port Douglas last year was two loops of a swim but only did 1 km because was rough and not a very comfortable with swimming due to cramping and not much water safety, did do the bike section just as training.  Then just in Phuket 70.3 was stung quite badly by a jelly fish so pulled out after the swim in agony.

At the moment I have started the running program for 8 weeks to improve my run, I hate running.  But with Christmas finding it hard to stay motivated.  2011 I will be competing in the Challenge Cairns Half in June, so this is my main race with probably some small tri's if there are any leading up to it.

I am usually an at the end competitor but just enjoy the fact that I can complete a race is my high.
2010-12-26 10:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa
listen up kids; if you want to be inspired, you need look no further.  quit is not in neal's vocabulary.  the man had a nasty accident six weeks outside of imwi where it hurt to run.  rather than throw in the towel, he rocked out a sub 12 hour ironman.  his last mentor group thread was several pages long and went much longer than the "official" three month period.  the man has inspiration coming out his eyeballs.  sign up now.
2010-12-26 12:24 PM

Hi Neil,

I'd love to get any advice from you. You have an impressive set of seasons. Can I jump on this mentorship program from you?

Here is some information about me: I'm coming from a runners background. I've done 4 marathons with my fastest time of sub 3:30. I've never done a triathlon in my life, but I've signed up for IM Canada that's scheduled this August. I've also not started training at all for this race, but I found a great 24 week plan in the book "Start to Finish: 24 weeks to an Endurance Triathlon". I think I can handle the bike/run portion of the course eventually, but I'm struggling with my swim. I've joined the US Masters swim team and I am hoping that in the next 24 weeks, I can really build out my swim base strong enough.

I'll keep you posted on my progress.

I'll send you a more detailed plan of my 2011 races in a few days. I'm still building them.

2010-12-26 4:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka Beach, MN
Would love to join up if there is room?

NAME: 
ball6135 / Robb

STORY: Been doing triathlons for about 4 years now, but nothing competitive.  I'm looking to step up a bit this year.  I am on the "taller" side and need some additional focus on nutrition (non-race) this year.  Tri's have been and will continue to be an amazing "distraction" getting me out of be in the morning and burning off the calories and stress of everyday life.  I've done 2:30 oly's and nothing better than just under sub 6 HIM's.  Started this out over 275 and was down over 60 lbs when I did IMWI two years ago... I have pretty much held there, but want to be a bit more race weight appropriate this year.

FAMILY STATUS: 40 and married with two little girls (Wife does a tri and 1/2 Marathon here and there and is wonderfully supportive!!!)

CURRENT TRAINING: Off season for me now, a week or two with a bad cold has slowed things down, but getting back into the swing of things.  Things start kicking into gear with some hours indoors on the Computrainer and treadmill soon!  

2010 RACES: Quite a few local sprints/Oly's and Silverman in Vegas 

2011 RACES: Key races for me in 2011 are IMWI and a local HIM in June.  I will be hitting the IMWI course a couple times for prep through the year, and will throw in an oly or two that I haven't decided on quite yet.

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS: I am looking to be down around 200 even (I'm 6'4") for IMWI this year..  that puts me about 20lbs. high right now.  I can tell what the extra weight does and the momentum will never make up for the extra work on Madison's rollers!

2010-12-26 8:17 PM

New user

Interested in mentoring a Crossfitting single mom / tri newbie? Name: Mel Story: I'm a rehab RN and I started training this time last year and got a stress fracture which halted my training for 12 weeks. Started doing Crossfit this summer. I got the tri bug from an ex beau and a family member who competes often. Family situation: 31/ single mom of two boys 10 & 4Current training: haven't figured out a plan yet. I crossfit 3 days a week and run 2-3 days, also add pilates and yoga. Weight loss goals: I don't focus on the scale. In fact I have no idea how much I weigh. I love being able to lift a little more or run a little further. That's my motivation.

2010-12-26 8:37 PM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
hi i am interested in joining this mentor group

name :pete

story: i swam in college then did a couple of tri's back then.   then did nothing for 13 years.  I can still swim well, and my girlfriend signed herself up for a tri to raise money for cancer, then realized she could not swim well.  so i taught her.  she was pleased with her performance.  the following year we did a couple of tri's together.   However i really did not train until after i did the first OLY and it hurt bad.  so i vowed not to do that poorly or be in that much pain again.  So i started training a lot more.  A month later i dropped 18 minutes in another oly.   And I have been training hard (for me) since.

my goal for next year is to do a tri (oly with a sprint) each month, with the last one under 2:15.  It is an aggressive goal, but with my weak training last year i think i will improve steadily.

weight loss goal:  i have lost 20 lbs so far.  i would like to lose 10 more.   i eat a lot better now, so it seems to be coming off at a decent pace.  Just need to get through the holidays without gaining too much back.
2010-12-26 9:01 PM
in reply to: #3261582

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
lizmoll - 2010-12-25 11:19 PM Hi Disturbed 275

Do you want an Aussie to mentor.  I am a plodder have done 3 half ironmans, two in China and one here in Cairns.  I have also attempted 3 other halfs but not completed one due to cramping in the swim, did get onto the bike but after the second lap became quite nausceous and pulled out.  One in Port Douglas last year was two loops of a swim but only did 1 km because was rough and not a very comfortable with swimming due to cramping and not much water safety, did do the bike section just as training.  Then just in Phuket 70.3 was stung quite badly by a jelly fish so pulled out after the swim in agony.

At the moment I have started the running program for 8 weeks to improve my run, I hate running.  But with Christmas finding it hard to stay motivated.  2011 I will be competing in the Challenge Cairns Half in June, so this is my main race with probably some small tri's if there are any leading up to it.

I am usually an at the end competitor but just enjoy the fact that I can complete a race is my high.

Hi Liz!  Glad to have you.  Let's hope the HIM in Cairns goes a little better than some of your past ones.  A jellyfish sting does not sound like fun!
2010-12-26 9:02 PM
in reply to: #3261785

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Noz - 2010-12-26 10:24 AM listen up kids; if you want to be inspired, you need look no further.  quit is not in neal's vocabulary.  the man had a nasty accident six weeks outside of imwi where it hurt to run.  rather than throw in the towel, he rocked out a sub 12 hour ironman.  his last mentor group thread was several pages long and went much longer than the "official" three month period.  the man has inspiration coming out his eyeballs.  sign up now.

Thanks for plug!  You even made me blush a little Embarassed
2010-12-26 9:04 PM
in reply to: #3261873

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
piyushdabomb - 2010-12-26 12:24 PM

Hi Neil,

I'd love to get any advice from you. You have an impressive set of seasons. Can I jump on this mentorship program from you?

Here is some information about me: I'm coming from a runners background. I've done 4 marathons with my fastest time of sub 3:30. I've never done a triathlon in my life, but I've signed up for IM Canada that's scheduled this August. I've also not started training at all for this race, but I found a great 24 week plan in the book "Start to Finish: 24 weeks to an Endurance Triathlon". I think I can handle the bike/run portion of the course eventually, but I'm struggling with my swim. I've joined the US Masters swim team and I am hoping that in the next 24 weeks, I can really build out my swim base strong enough.

I'll keep you posted on my progress.

I'll send you a more detailed plan of my 2011 races in a few days. I'm still building them.

Welcome aboard!  Sounds like you have a great running background and signing up for a Masters group should do wonders for your swimming
2010-12-26 9:06 PM
in reply to: #3262050

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
ball6135 - 2010-12-26 4:01 PM Would love to join up if there is room?

NAME: 
ball6135 / Robb

STORY: Been doing triathlons for about 4 years now, but nothing competitive.  I'm looking to step up a bit this year.  I am on the "taller" side and need some additional focus on nutrition (non-race) this year.  Tri's have been and will continue to be an amazing "distraction" getting me out of be in the morning and burning off the calories and stress of everyday life.  I've done 2:30 oly's and nothing better than just under sub 6 HIM's.  Started this out over 275 and was down over 60 lbs when I did IMWI two years ago... I have pretty much held there, but want to be a bit more race weight appropriate this year.

FAMILY STATUS: 40 and married with two little girls (Wife does a tri and 1/2 Marathon here and there and is wonderfully supportive!!!)

CURRENT TRAINING: Off season for me now, a week or two with a bad cold has slowed things down, but getting back into the swing of things.  Things start kicking into gear with some hours indoors on the Computrainer and treadmill soon!  

2010 RACES: Quite a few local sprints/Oly's and Silverman in Vegas 

2011 RACES: Key races for me in 2011 are IMWI and a local HIM in June.  I will be hitting the IMWI course a couple times for prep through the year, and will throw in an oly or two that I haven't decided on quite yet.

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS: I am looking to be down around 200 even (I'm 6'4") for IMWI this year..  that puts me about 20lbs. high right now.  I can tell what the extra weight does and the momentum will never make up for the extra work on Madison's rollers!

Hi Robb!  Welcome to the group.  It'll be nice to have another IMWI-er around

2010-12-26 9:09 PM
in reply to: #3262273

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
MMF0710 - 2010-12-26 8:17 PM Interested in mentoring a Crossfitting single mom / tri newbie? Name: Mel Story: I'm a rehab RN and I started training this time last year and got a stress fracture which halted my training for 12 weeks. Started doing Crossfit this summer. I got the tri bug from an ex beau and a family member who competes often. Family situation: 31/ single mom of two boys 10 & 4Current training: haven't figured out a plan yet. I crossfit 3 days a week and run 2-3 days, also add pilates and yoga. Weight loss goals: I don't focus on the scale. In fact I have no idea how much I weigh. I love being able to lift a little more or run a little further. That's my motivation.

Sure, we'll take you!  Do you have a first race in mind?
2010-12-26 9:13 PM
in reply to: #3262289

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
peteweb55403 - 2010-12-26 8:37 PM hi i am interested in joining this mentor group

name :pete

story: i swam in college then did a couple of tri's back then.   then did nothing for 13 years.  I can still swim well, and my girlfriend signed herself up for a tri to raise money for cancer, then realized she could not swim well.  so i taught her.  she was pleased with her performance.  the following year we did a couple of tri's together.   However i really did not train until after i did the first OLY and it hurt bad.  so i vowed not to do that poorly or be in that much pain again.  So i started training a lot more.  A month later i dropped 18 minutes in another oly.   And I have been training hard (for me) since.

my goal for next year is to do a tri (oly with a sprint) each month, with the last one under 2:15.  It is an aggressive goal, but with my weak training last year i think i will improve steadily.

weight loss goal:  i have lost 20 lbs so far.  i would like to lose 10 more.   i eat a lot better now, so it seems to be coming off at a decent pace.  Just need to get through the holidays without gaining too much back.

Hi Pete!  It's always nice to have someone with a swimming background in the group!
2010-12-26 9:27 PM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
so how do we go from here?  as far as do we just write/read on this forum thread or is there a seperate one you set up and we join?

2010-12-27 8:12 AM

Thanks for bringing me aboard.I'm excited about this program.To everyone else, hey! - pleasure meeting you. My name is Piyush.
2010-12-27 8:52 AM

New user

I'm planning on doing the lifetime fitness sprint tri in Minneapolis in July with my uncle. Hoping 7 months is enough training time!

2010-12-27 9:01 AM

Hey Neil, I hope you have room for one more!

My name is Ed. I'm a 48 years young newbie from Long Island. I have your basic fitness back ground of running (few 5k's over the years) weight training, kettlebell's and self educated on diet and nutrition. I have started my training program for my first tri in 2011. I began in September. I am currently swimming twice a week @1000m per session. I recently swam my first 400m without stopping! I have a KK trainer for my road bike and ride 3 times per week. I am coming off a bad case of PF so have been running/walking 3.5 miles 3 times per week. I have a pool swim tri scheduled for April 23rd. 400m swim/6mile bile/2mile run. My first sprint tri is going to be June 5th. I plan on doing another sprint July 10th and an Oly on Sept. 11th.

What to you think! Can you mentor me? I won't let you down!
2010-12-27 9:26 AM
in reply to: #3262613

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka Beach, MN
MMF0710 - 2010-12-27 8:52 AMI'm planning on doing the lifetime fitness sprint tri in Minneapolis in July with my uncle. Hoping 7 months is enough training time!
Been through lifetime tri in Minneapolis several times now (oly) but the sprint is same course just shortened. Let me know if you have any questions at all on this one. Not sure if it's on my schedule yet this year, but if not, I'll be down there volunteering.
2010-12-27 9:54 AM

New user

Great! I'm sure I will have many questions along the way!
2010-12-27 10:40 AM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas

Hey, my name is Mike and I would like to join the group.  I will be attempting my first FIM IMSG this May. I did HIM distance in November (Silverman).  That was my 1st triathlon ever.  I watched the St. George IM last year. I was really out of shape and needed something to motivate me to get back into shape. I was "ironstruck" I guess. I thought I should do this, yeah I can do this. So I signed up to 2011, thinking if I start today I will have a whole year to get ready. I live in Las Vegas and thought well you should do a half distance at the half way point to see how your doing. That is why I did the Silverman. It was pretty tough my time was 7:15:28.  So here I am starting my 2nd week of a 20 week training program that will take me to IMSG, and can not wait to here the announcer say Mike Kooyman you are an ironman!!

2010-12-27 1:39 PM

User image

I would love to join your group.
I am a 45 year old Guy living in Oregon and work as a Firefighter by trade and looking to complete my first marathon in may and full Tri this summer with a sprint on April 9th. I am looking to learn more about Tris and training for them. I stated my quest about a year ago and have lost 65 lbs. and will be making this my new lifestyle.

John

2010-12-27 2:18 PM

User image

Veteran
New Brunswick, Canada
Hi Neal and gang,

I definitely need to get back to training. November and December were low on training and i need to start the year with a little more intensity.
Can I get in your group again?
I am currenly on vacation and will try to post my info later this week.
Luc
2010-12-27 2:31 PM

New user

Henderson, NV
Sign me up!

NAME: 
Jake

STORY: 34 y/o Air Force officer.  Swam competitively 20 years ago.  Ran cross country in High School. Started cycling last May to lose weight.  Would like to get fit through triathlon.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 4 kids.  

CURRENT TRAINING: Unorganized.  Regular cycling sprinkled with sporadic swims and runs.  Joined Masters team to shore up swim.  

2011 RACES: Joined the local Tri-club.  Will participate in their sprint distance races to gain experience.  Would like to participate in an Olympic distance in Aug or Sep, but can't sign up for one yet, since I may move this summer

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS: Currently 5'10" and 180 lbs.  Started at 206.  Would like to get to 160.
2010-12-27 6:26 PM
in reply to: #3262337

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
peteweb55403 - 2010-12-26 9:27 PM so how do we go from here?  as far as do we just write/read on this forum thread or is there a seperate one you set up and we join?

This will be the only thread for communication within the group.  So start firing away questions if you have them.  You can share what you've done for workouts lately or discuss anything you may want to talk about.  It doesn't even have to be triathlon related.

I would also encourage everyone to use the logs so we can stop in and see what everyone else is up to and leave "inspires."  You can add everyone to your friend's list or I will provide a table with links to everyone's blog once the group is full.
2010-12-27 6:28 PM
in reply to: #3262632

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
1ejp - 2010-12-27 9:01 AM Hey Neil, I hope you have room for one more!

My name is Ed. I'm a 48 years young newbie from Long Island. I have your basic fitness back ground of running (few 5k's over the years) weight training, kettlebell's and self educated on diet and nutrition. I have started my training program for my first tri in 2011. I began in September. I am currently swimming twice a week @1000m per session. I recently swam my first 400m without stopping! I have a KK trainer for my road bike and ride 3 times per week. I am coming off a bad case of PF so have been running/walking 3.5 miles 3 times per week. I have a pool swim tri scheduled for April 23rd. 400m swim/6mile bile/2mile run. My first sprint tri is going to be June 5th. I plan on doing another sprint July 10th and an Oly on Sept. 11th.

What to you think! Can you mentor me? I won't let you down!

Hi Ed!  We'll take ya.  Sounds like a good base of workouts you've got going on.  That pool tri is just around the corner!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » disturbed275's Mentor Group - Closed! Rss Feed  

of 16