BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-04-20 10:25 AM
in reply to: #3455437

User image

Regular
Maryland
Subject: RE: kenj's group open!
amschrod - 2011-04-19 5:01 PM

Wow! I have been very busy the last few days and finally got a chance to catch up. Great group with a lot of activity and very interesting discussion!

Viyoung - 2011-04-14 8:42 AM

Kathleen, thanks!  I'm excited, but also need a lot of encouragement.  My family thinks I'm crazy, my DH keeps asking me, "are you still going to do this? are you really going to do this?"

I have to, there's no way I'm quitting before even trying.

This is from back on page 3, but you really caught my attention, Vivian. For me, the best thing about BT in general and especially the Mentor Groups is all the support we both get and give. Your  family may not fully understand, but we all get it, and we all really want you to succeed in reaching your goals, and we want you to have fun along the way!

Anthony

Thanks Anthony!  That's why I'm here Smile

2011-04-20 11:12 AM
in reply to: #3456311

User image

Regular
Connecticut
Subject: RE: kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!!
acv - 2011-04-20 10:25 AM
scraver - 2011-04-20 10:21 AM

KeriKadi - 2011-04-20 9:57 AM 

Probably the shortest path to the beer tent.

Yes!  This!  Lol!

Saturday, May 14th - I am running in a Pub Run.  We run to the first bar, chug a beer, run to the second bar, chug a beer...  It is about 2.6 miles (or was it 3?) and 6 beers.  Then there is food, festivities, and more beer afterwords.  They give out trophies to the top three men and top three women.  It BLOWS my mind how the winners can run and chug beers so fast.  They must get on the TM with a six pack and practice.  Anyway... I am getting off topic.  Drinker with a running problem.

So far, I have only done 5k's.  I'd like to try a 10k.  I honestly don't ever see myself doing much more than 10k.  I think I would rather do the shorter distances and work on getting faster.  I would like to do more trail runs.  There is a series in a park nearby that they do every summer that involves running along a trail and through grass.  I would like to get better at that.  I am always supprised at how much drag grass creates.

Speaking of chugging. I have yet to figure out how to chug water at water stops on the course. If I really need it I have to stop. I just haven't figured out how to drink and run without choking on the water.

Any helpful tips for this one?

I didn't word that very well... we have to stop - go in to the bar - chug the beer - then continue on with running.  I don't know how they do the whole process as fast as they do.  Crazy!!

I do slow down for water.  I take a quick swallow and keep going.  I have only done 5k's, so I could probably get away with no water, but my mouth gets dry from breathing hard.  I tried chugging the whole cup once and almost puked.  The squeezing the top trick works pretty well, too.

2011-04-20 1:46 PM
in reply to: #3456295

User image

Pro
Houston
scraver - 2011-04-20 9:21 AM

KeriKadi - 2011-04-20 9:57 AM 

Probably the shortest path to the beer tent.

Yes!  This!  Lol!

Saturday, May 14th - I am running in a Pub Run.  We run to the first bar, chug a beer, run to the second bar, chug a beer...  It is about 2.6 miles (or was it 3?) and 6 beers.  Then there is food, festivities, and more beer afterwords.  They give out trophies to the top three men and top three women.  It BLOWS my mind how the winners can run and chug beers so fast.  They must get on the TM with a six pack and practice.  Anyway... I am getting off topic.  Drinker with a running problem.

So far, I have only done 5k's.  I'd like to try a 10k.  I honestly don't ever see myself doing much more than 10k.  I think I would rather do the shorter distances and work on getting faster.  I would like to do more trail runs.  There is a series in a park nearby that they do every summer that involves running along a trail and through grass.  I would like to get better at that.  I am always supprised at how much drag grass creates.

We have some locals that do their own 'beer mile' and chug a beer every .25 and basically whoever doesn't puke wins.

I have very high standards when it comes to triathlon - No beer - No race! A girl has to draw the line somewhere. One of the fun races my family does is the Astros Race for the Pennant - you finish and they give you a Michelob! Then you stop by for some Pei Wei and Kolache's!!!

I run with a Camelbak. I tried a fuel belt and HATED it! I can't stand to have something on my hips, makes them ache. I didn't think I'd like something on my back but I love it. In this heat (94 today during my run) anything longer than 30 minutes and I take the CB. For short runs when it is warm or long runs when it is cool I use one of those containers for GU - holds 3-4 ounces and I can put the bottle in my pocket or even in my sports bra.

2011-04-20 1:47 PM
in reply to: #3456311

User image

Pro
Houston
acv - 2011-04-20 9:25 AM

Speaking of chugging. I have yet to figure out how to chug water at water stops on the course. If I really need it I have to stop. I just haven't figured out how to drink and run without choking on the water.

Any helpful tips for this one?

I find pinching the cup at the top helps a LOT! I also learned the hard way if you are going to take 2 cups to dump & drink you should dump first and THEN drink. My first year I took a big sip and them dumped water on my head/back and it was so cold it took my breath away and I inhaled the water I just drank, not pretty.

2011-04-20 1:56 PM
in reply to: #3456980

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

We have some locals that do their own 'beer mile' and chug a beer every .25 and basically whoever doesn't puke wins.

Before AA, I called this "Saturday night."

2011-04-20 2:15 PM
in reply to: #3434537

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

I am thinking about wearing my amphipod on my HM next week. I train with it for anything over an hour and it works well, so why not use it for a race.  Then I don't have to stop and worry about walking/spilling/puking water. Also, I can take a drink whenever I need to and not have to wait for a water station which could be crowded. We shall see though!

Ran just over 10 miles today, had to cut it short by 15 minutes do to GI issues. 2nd time in the last 2 weeks.  I hope i can get a handle on it before my race.

2011-04-20 2:29 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
I am officially the lowest weight I have been since Senior in H.S.!!!! I have been trying to get under 145 since September (144.8 today). I don't think it matters that I weighed myself after a 2 hour run with GI issues (it kind of made it worth it!).
2011-04-20 2:55 PM
in reply to: #3457043

User image

Pro
Houston
robingray_260 - 2011-04-20 2:15 PM

I am thinking about wearing my amphipod on my HM next week. I train with it for anything over an hour and it works well, so why not use it for a race.  Then I don't have to stop and worry about walking/spilling/puking water. Also, I can take a drink whenever I need to and not have to wait for a water station which could be crowded. We shall see though!

Ran just over 10 miles today, had to cut it short by 15 minutes do to GI issues. 2nd time in the last 2 weeks.  I hope i can get a handle on it before my race.

What are you using for hydration? Do you think it could have something to do with your GI issues. I can do water and only some flavors of Gatorade, GU is ok on the bike but not the run. When I switched from GU to Chomps my tummy was so much happier! I open two packages and pour in my bento and eat on the bike and have a few handy on the run as well in case they sound good.

Since you have been training with the amphipod I am sure it would be fine for your HIM but do you really want to carry that weight? That is a couple of pounds right there! Something to think about. I am not a fast runner to begin with but in a distance 13 miles it thins out pretty quick especially when everyone starts at different times. I didn't see a single crowded aid station during my HIM.

Congrats on the weightloss! Wahoo!

2011-04-20 2:57 PM

User image

Toronto-ish

Congratulations Robin!!!
Well done on the weight target!!!

2011-04-20 3:22 PM
in reply to: #3457081

User image

Regular
Connecticut

robingray_260 - 2011-04-20 3:29 PM I am officially the lowest weight I have been since Senior in H.S.!!!! I have been trying to get under 145 since September (144.8 today). I don't think it matters that I weighed myself after a 2 hour run with GI issues (it kind of made it worth it!).

Awesome!  Congrats!

2011-04-20 3:42 PM

User image

Expert
Canada
Another 10k for me today. Trying to get back into regular running routine.

My favorite race distance is probably 10k. A strategic distance. Long enough to have to pace well, unlike a 5k which you just hang on. Also the pain is over relatively quickly, in a 10k. Most of my weekly runs are 10k & I am accustomed to this distance. Half Mary is nice, but much more exertion, to run "on the edge".

Edited by GoGoGo 2011-04-20 6:11 PM

2011-04-20 3:46 PM

User image

Expert
Canada
robingray_260 - 2011-04-20 4:29 PMI am officially the lowest weight I have been since Senior in H.S.!!!! I have been trying to get under 145 since September (144.8 today). I don't think it matters that I weighed myself after a 2 hour run with GI issues (it kind of made it worth it!).
Congratulations, Robin!!!! I don't think I will ever see high school weight again!!! I am 6'4" & played basketball a lot then. Was very skinny, probably 170ish. Now am about 210-220. When I went crazy with marathon training, weighed 195 & everyone thought I was getting Chemotherapy!!

anyway, again, congrats!

2011-04-20 3:47 PM
in reply to: #3457142

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
KeriKadi - 2011-04-20 2:55 PM

What are you using for hydration? Do you think it could have something to do with your GI issues. I can do water and only some flavors of Gatorade, GU is ok on the bike but not the run. When I switched from GU to Chomps my tummy was so much happier! I open two packages and pour in my bento and eat on the bike and have a few handy on the run as well in case they sound good.

Since you have been training with the amphipod I am sure it would be fine for your HIM but do you really want to carry that weight? That is a couple of pounds right there! Something to think about. I am not a fast runner to begin with but in a distance 13 miles it thins out pretty quick especially when everyone starts at different times. I didn't see a single crowded aid station during my HIM.

I think my stomach issues stemmed from not eating last night and then trying to cram a larger breakfast in an hour and half before the run. It was already hurting when I started. I have never had a problem with the GU's, my favorite though are  the Hammer Gels - Montana Blackberry - yum! 

As for the amphipod water on my HIM - Very valid points you make! I will have to think some more about it, though it really isn't that heavy and has never bothered me - but I can see how it just isnt necessary.

2011-04-20 6:04 PM

User image

Expert

Boy, I wish I could run as fast as you all post! Gonna try to catch up.

Ken's post about run training was really good and hit all the important points. I just wanted to emphasize that patience and consistency have been very important for me. In the Winter when I am run focused I run 5 times a week, mostly at an easy pace. The only "speedwork" I do is a tempo run once or sometimes twice a month. Even though I am over 50, I continue to get a little faster each year, and I have avoided injury. Running improvement takes place over months and years, so again, for me patience and consistency are key.

I can't really say I have a favorite distance for running races, but I do have some local races that I really love to do that are 5K, 7K, 10K, and HM. Speaking of beer, at the HM that I do every year, Outback Restaurant does the post race food, so not only is there beer, there is steak as well. It is great!

Anthony

2011-04-20 6:15 PM
in reply to: #3457302

User image

Expert
robingray_260 - 2011-04-20 4:47 PM

I think my stomach issues stemmed from not eating last night and then trying to cram a larger breakfast in an hour and half before the run. It was already hurting when I started. I have never had a problem with the GU's, my favorite though are  the Hammer Gels - Montana Blackberry - yum! 

As for the amphipod water on my HIM - Very valid points you make! I will have to think some more about it, though it really isn't that heavy and has never bothered me - but I can see how it just isnt necessary.

I was wondering what you ate before your run, and I think that you are right about your breakfast being what caused your GI distress. Nutrition is very individual, but I know that I would have stomach trouble if I tried to train one and a half hours after a meal with solid food. I normally train first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. On race day I have breakfast at least 2 hours before start time and I always have some kind of shake or smoothie and never any solid food.

Again, everyone is different which is why it's good to learn what works for you during training, so there are no surprises on race day.

Anthony

2011-04-20 6:31 PM
in reply to: #3457302

User image

Pro
Houston
robingray_260 - 2011-04-20 3:47 PM

Just something to keep in mind obviously you have to do whatever is comfortable for you. Each full bottle weighs 8 ounces so if you take 4 bottles that is 2 pounds plus the belt and bottles themselves which I know is light but over 13.1 miles your hair gets heavy - LOL! Also keep in mind if you wear it out of T2 you have to keep it on the whole race, quite a commitment.

2011-04-20 8:13 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

robingray_260 - 2011-04-20 1:29 PM I am officially the lowest weight I have been since Senior in H.S.!!!! I have been trying to get under 145 since September (144.8 today). I don't think it matters that I weighed myself after a 2 hour run with GI issues (it kind of made it worth it!).

Great Job!

I am seeing a sports nutritionist on Friday specifically because of GI issues. I will let you know what I find out.

2011-04-20 8:16 PM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

I don't have a favorite run distance. I am just happy when it is over with Tongue out

Because I am slow, everything seems longer so longer runs are REALLY long.

2011-04-21 4:26 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
robingray_260 - 2011-04-20 3:29 PM I am officially the lowest weight I have been since Senior in H.S.!!!! I have been trying to get under 145 since September (144.8 today). I don't think it matters that I weighed myself after a 2 hour run with GI issues (it kind of made it worth it!).

Makes the long runs worth the hard work! Congrats on the weight PB!
2011-04-21 6:15 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Its almost the weekend, how is everyone's training going this week?

Mine is off a bit, but it is mostly due to the back and forth between east coast and west coast time zones the last month or so. Plus the late start of spring here in the northeast has the enthusiasm off a bit, but it is supposed to improve next week. 
2011-04-21 7:39 AM
in reply to: #3458067

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

kenj - 2011-04-21 7:15 AM Its almost the weekend, how is everyone's training going this week?

Mine is off a bit, but it is mostly due to the back and forth between east coast and west coast time zones the last month or so. Plus the late start of spring here in the northeast has the enthusiasm off a bit, but it is supposed to improve next week. 

This week has been going well. I’ve been trying to squeeze in everything during the week since the forecast for this weekend is pretty bad. Also with the holiday on Sunday I’m trying to leave that day free for the family and not to mention we’re celebrating my wife’s birthday Saturday night so I think Sunday is going to be a recovery day in more ways than one.

I’m hoping to sneak in a 2 mile run in on Saturday maybe some gym time. Laughing

2011-04-21 7:51 AM
in reply to: #3457690

User image

Regular
Maryland
Kath2163 - 2011-04-20 8:16 PM

I don't have a favorite run distance. I am just happy when it is over with Tongue out

Because I am slow, everything seems longer so longer runs are REALLY long.

Kath, I'm with you Smile

2011-04-21 7:52 AM

User image

Regular
Maryland

Robin, pat on the back for the weight loss!!

I think I'd pass out if I tried to get down to high school weight.  I'm just trying to get down to pre kids weight.

2011-04-21 7:53 AM

User image

Regular
Maryland

kenj - 2011-04-21 6:15 AM Its almost the weekend, how is everyone's training going this week?

Training has gone pretty well.  Today is my day off.

This Saturday I'm going to try a brick bike/run with a group.  I'll probably walk for most of the run.

2011-04-21 8:27 AM

User image

Pro
Houston

kenj - 2011-04-21 6:15 AM Its almost the weekend, how is everyone's training going this week?

All that traveling has to be exhausting!

I blew off Sunday's workout but everything after that is good. I am pretty sure I only have a swim on the schedule today and will likely do that this evening before my daughters swim team practice.

We homeschool but my daughters take classes at a school for homeschoolers - they take history, science, art & theater there. Today is Easter party day which should be both fun and exhausting since I am volunteering and will have my 4 year old in tow.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  

of 72