BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-04-07 1:05 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!!

NAME: kenj/ Ken

STORY: I'm a 46 year old, 5 years removed from the couch.  I live outside Rochester NY in the Finger Lakes region.  As part of a weight loss program I started running and found that I actually enjoyed it.  While training for a 5K I decided to add biking as a cross training tool and while looking around on line for some information, I stumbled upon BT.  After posting in the new member forums I met some local BT'ers that have become great friends.  I love the social aspect of the triathlon community and racing in general.  It helps me get out of bed in the morning!

Since starting tri's I have participated in several sprints and olympic distance tris, 3 HIM and 2 IM.  I find I prefer the longer races for the most part.  This is true in both tri's and running races.  I am not fast, probably considered front of the middle of the pack. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married to my current wife, Connie for 15 years, I have two children from my first marriage, my daughter who is 21 and in college and a son who is 22.

CURRENT TRAINING: I am currently training for the summer mix of tri's, running races and bike tours.  I am currently registered for a century in April, a half marathon in May, a sprint tri in June and a HIM in July.  I am sure there will be a mix of 5 and 10k running races and a couple of sprint and olympic distance tri's added in for the summer as well.  I am also considering the REV3 full in Ohio in September, but I may replace that with a marathon or a HIM instead.  Still waiting on my fall work committments before committing to events.

THIS YEAR'S RACES:
 This past season I did a sprint in the spring, a HIM over the summer, IMFL in November (my second IM) and a lot of running races from 5K to half marathon.  I also did a couple of Duathlons.

2011 RACES:  Gran Fondo San Diego (bike century ride), Flower City Half Marathon, Keuka Lake Sprint Tri and Musselman HIM.  Still waiting to plan for the later season races.

WEIGHTLOSS:
Prior to becoming a triathlete, I had lost about 100 pounds (of which I have put about 10 back on!).  My weight will always be a challenge for me as I have to pay attention to what I eat. Did I mention I like to eat?  I am working on taking the 10 pounds back off plus another 10 by summer.  Although from a health perspective, my weightloss and current weight is pretty good, I raced better last year at a lighter weight and think I could do even better closer to 170 (currently in the upper 180's).

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: The mentor program has been a great addition to my tri experience.  The accountability to the group, learning new training principles, discussing equipment issues and dealing with struggles has shortened the learning curve for me by a bunch.  I have also used many of the training plans that are available here and think I have a pretty good idea which direction to point people once I understand what their goals are.  Additionally, I like to train and I like to talk about training.  This will be my 3rd mentor group in addition to belonging to another group.  In addition to some great new friends that I made participating in this program, I have learned a lot from the mentor groups I have been involved with. 

I have also used many of the training plans that are available here and think I have a pretty good idea which direction to point people once I understand what their goals are.  Additionally, I like to train and I like to talk about training. 

Edited by kenj 2011-04-18 4:10 PM

2011-04-11 11:37 PM
in reply to: #3434537

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
Subject: RE: kenj's group open!

Hey Ken,

I would like to join your group.

2011-04-12 12:08 AM

User image

Expert
Just wanted to drop by and say "Have a great Spring/Summer Mentor Group". I won't be adding a mentor group this season but you have so much to offer. I know you'll have a great group.Todd
2011-04-12 6:33 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-04-12 6:44 AM

Veteran
Arvada
Kathleen says I should join you, read your bio and sounds like a good fit so I'm in please.

Julie
2011-04-12 7:29 AM
in reply to: #3441459

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Kath2163 - 2011-04-12 12:37 AM

Hey Ken,

I would like to join your group.

Hi Kathleen!
It would be great to have you as part of the group!  Post a bio when you get a chance!
Thanks!

2011-04-12 7:30 AM
in reply to: #3441476

Pro
Canandaigua NY
phxphotog - 2011-04-12 1:08 AM Just wanted to drop by and say "Have a great Spring/Summer Mentor Group". I won't be adding a mentor group this season but you have so much to offer. I know you'll have a great group.Todd

Thanks Todd! I appreciate the support!
2011-04-12 7:30 AM
in reply to: #3441580

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Fred Doucette - 2011-04-12 7:33 AM x2! This will be a great group!

Thanks Fred for your support as well!
2011-04-12 7:31 AM
in reply to: #3441602

Pro
Canandaigua NY
julta - 2011-04-12 7:44 AM Kathleen says I should join you, read your bio and sounds like a good fit so I'm in please. Julie

Hi Julie, welcome to the group!  Post a bio for us when you can!
2011-04-12 9:08 AM

Veteran
Bradford, PA

I'd like to join if you'll have me.

NAME: Trout/Steve

STORY: 33 yo; former HS/DI college runner in the late 90s.  Took about 8 years 'off' from an active lifestyle - got married, had kids, progressed in career.  In 2010, I decided to get back into running which led to triathlon.  Started swimming in Jan 2010, biking in March 2010.  I have done only one sprint tri - August 2010 - but feel there is some potential to do well in this sport.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to Amanda for 6 years.  Two boys ages 3.5 and 2. 

CURRENT TRAINING: Current training has been down due to work and family commitments.  Bike training has been almost nothing due to weather and home projects that took my space for the moment.  In March I set a goal to top 20,000 yds swimming - my weakest discipline - and I achieved that.  I've also seen great progress in my swimming efficiency and speed over the winter (2min/100 to 1:45/100).  With spring finally coming and schedule slowing down, I will be riding and running more outdoors.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I've done a handful of running races this winter through our local YMCA.  2-5ks, 1-5mi. and 1-10 miler (1:08).  Last fall I did my first half marathon on an up and down course in 1:29.

2011 RACES:  Up in the air at this point.  Plan to at least do the same sprint tri in August.  Would like to do an olympic distance and another sprint as well.  Mix in a handful of 5ks and a half mary in October.

WEIGHTLOSS:  

Was 183 on 1/1/2010; down to 156 today.

Lately I've been struggling with whether this 'endeavor' is where I should be putting my time.  I enjoy competition and training.  I like feeling better and looking better.  However, with a young family at home I begin to consider what will mean the most.  I fear losing some of my best physical years - and possibly to compete at a high level. 

Ken - I live in NW PA, just across the border from Olean, NY.  I'm considering Keuka or possibly Tri in the Buff south of Buffalo.  Presque Isle in Erie, PA is on my radar as well.

2011-04-12 9:39 AM
in reply to: #3441914

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Trout - 2011-04-12 10:08 AM

I'd like to join if you'll have me.

NAME: Trout/Steve

STORY: 33 yo; former HS/DI college runner in the late 90s.  Took about 8 years 'off' from an active lifestyle - got married, had kids, progressed in career.  In 2010, I decided to get back into running which led to triathlon.  Started swimming in Jan 2010, biking in March 2010.  I have done only one sprint tri - August 2010 - but feel there is some potential to do well in this sport.

FAMILY STATUS: Married to Amanda for 6 years.  Two boys ages 3.5 and 2. 

CURRENT TRAINING: Current training has been down due to work and family commitments.  Bike training has been almost nothing due to weather and home projects that took my space for the moment.  In March I set a goal to top 20,000 yds swimming - my weakest discipline - and I achieved that.  I've also seen great progress in my swimming efficiency and speed over the winter (2min/100 to 1:45/100).  With spring finally coming and schedule slowing down, I will be riding and running more outdoors.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I've done a handful of running races this winter through our local YMCA.  2-5ks, 1-5mi. and 1-10 miler (1:08).  Last fall I did my first half marathon on an up and down course in 1:29.

2011 RACES:  Up in the air at this point.  Plan to at least do the same sprint tri in August.  Would like to do an olympic distance and another sprint as well.  Mix in a handful of 5ks and a half mary in October.

WEIGHTLOSS:  

Was 183 on 1/1/2010; down to 156 today.

Lately I've been struggling with whether this 'endeavor' is where I should be putting my time.  I enjoy competition and training.  I like feeling better and looking better.  However, with a young family at home I begin to consider what will mean the most.  I fear losing some of my best physical years - and possibly to compete at a high level. 

Ken - I live in NW PA, just across the border from Olean, NY.  I'm considering Keuka or possibly Tri in the Buff south of Buffalo.  Presque Isle in Erie, PA is on my radar as well.

Welcome to the group Steve! 

Congratulations on the weight loss, did you do anything special or just cut a little and working out? 

I understand the pressures we sometimes face with the time commitment of this and our other life commitments.  On the positive side of that, you are setting a healthy example for your kids.  We can discuss this more over the coming weeks, but there are ways to fit everything in, but sometimes we just have to make a decision for that day to do something different.

Good choices for your potential races, Keuka is close to selling out if you want to consider that, I am registered as well as a bunch of other BT'ers.  You may want to look at Finger Lakes for an Oly in Sept.  Home town race that I haven't been able to participate in for a couple of years due to other conflicts, maybe this year.  It is another race that sells out fairly early but you are probably good for another month. 

2011-04-13 12:16 AM

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Name: Kathleen

Story:This is my fourth year doing triathlons. My original goal was to complete one sprint distance race but I caught the bug and here I am. For the first two years of training/racing I had a group of friends with whom I shared the experience  but last year I was on my own as I decided to do Boulder 70.3 which no one wanted to take on and I was really the only one who had the interest to continue in this sport. I was part of a mentor group last Spring/Summer and it was  great! The group provided me the support and friendship that I was missing and their wealth of knowledge and advice was fantastic. The group  guided me through the purchase of my tri bike and helped me decide to take the plunge and sign up for IMAZ 2011.
I am a MOP at most races(unless they are in Boulder and then I am a BOP) due to my very poor running ability. My strengh is the bike but I lose it on the run everytime.  I have hired a coach this year and I hope that with a more stuctured focus and a program that pushes me to do things in training that I have never done before, I will have some type of breakthrough. It doesn't have to be huge breakthougth, just some type of improvement, which I haven't seen as of yet.  I also have had some very bad GI problems after two of the half marathons that I ran/walked and that is obviously something I am going to have to get a handle on if I plan to make it to the finish line at IMAZ.  I have to admit that an IM freaks me out and I get nervous just thinking about it. Yet, I really think I can do it.  It might not be pretty at the end(and during the run) but I am pretty determined when I want to be.Smile

Family Status: My fiancee and I live together. Our new addition is the cute little guy in the picture. 16 week old Cocker Spaniel named Casey. He is a true handful but it was love at first sight.

Current training:  I had a late season race last year (November) so I haven't really taken a true break from tri training. I am currently scheduled to do seven to eight hours a week on average and am now just getting back in the pool after a five week lay off from it due to some surgery I had.

Last Years Races: I did  six tris including the HIM,  and two half marathons last year. I tend to over book myself and know that I need to race less this summer.

2011 Races:I am signed up for the Boulder Tri Series (sprint, olympic and HIM) and IMAZ. I don't know if I want to do the whole series but will be doing Boulder 70.3 again. I am also doing a century ride in June and just completed a half marathon.

Weight loss goals: I could probably stand to lose five lbs or so. I had a weight problem my entire life and stopped getting on the scale a long time ago as it made me crazy. I would like to drop a little weight to see if that helps with my run. At least I think that everytime I am out there running along and watching everyone make it look so easy.

What would make me a good mentee: I really came to care about the other people in our group last spring/summer.  There really was a give and take and it was obvious that we all really cared about how each other was doing and wanted to help where we could. A few of our members did IMs last year and the rest of us would be following them on line and cheering for them throughout the day. I think my desire to help others,  or just be "an ear" is one thing that would make me a good mentee.  I so appreciate the advice and support of others and love to learn new things. I don't always understand all of it (the whole rolling resistance thing makes my eyes glaze over Smile) but I try to absorb as much as I can.
-----

Edited by Kath2163 2011-04-13 12:27 AM
2011-04-13 12:39 AM

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Ken and Steve,

How did you lose the weight?  Ken, 100 lbs is a lot! (like you didn't know that). That if fantastic!

Juggling triathlon with everything else certainly can be a challenge. I don't have young kids so I can't speak to your situation Steve but I know that for me with a new puppy and a larger work load, it has been easy to lose the balance that I had. I felt like my work is/was taking time away from my training where as most people feel the opposite (that triathlon takes away from their personal lives). With my race schedule this year, I need to get back on track and take care of me. (I work with people who have disabilities so am always in the care giver roll in some way).  I don't think that there is any right answer to this question but it does appear from all the forum posts that most of us are in the same boat when it comes to this.

2011-04-13 7:25 AM

Veteran
Bradford, PA

Thankfully I haven't had to change much to drop some pounds.  On 1/1/10 I weighed the most ever and that was after 8 years of limited activity.  I really feel for me it was the swimming that dropped the weight fast.  I lost almost all of my weight within the first few months of training - about 25 - just over the last several have I been able to drop a few more.  I think I'm at a good weight now (156) and don't expect to drop too much more.  Even when in I was running 70 miles/week in college I was only high 140s/low 150s. 

My diet has been altered slightly (less soda/pop and no pop tarts for breakfast!).

My wife was very critical of my new found hobby last year. She never knew the active guy that I was 'back in the day.'  She is signed up for a beginner's running group starting in May so I'm happy that my activity is rubbing off on her.

Looking forward to learning and sharing with you all.

2011-04-13 7:44 AM

Pro
Canandaigua NY
I was in the same group with Kathleen last year, and having led 2 mentor groups prior to that it was a nice learning experience to be in that group.  I hope to carry some of what we learned there over to here.

As far as my weight loss, I was obviously quite heavy, so I decided to really address it.  Just before the holidays, I think around 2005 but I lose track of time, I ordered Nutri System from an informercial.  I committed to starting it as soon as my Steelers (life long fan!) were eliminated from the playoffs that year.  They happened to go on and win the Super Bowl that year so I had to defer my second order from them twice!  (That story about defering due to the playoffs happened to win me a trip to the Super Bowl with Dan Marino, one of Nutri Systems spokespersons, the following year.

Nutri System worked for me, as I needed the forced portion control, and obviously with winning the weight loss challenge and the trip it was an overall positive experience.  I do think from a knowledge perspective, I have learned a lot more since then about healthy eating and proper diet.  Could I accomplish the same thing without the program?  I am not sure, it really comes down to discipline with portion sizes and staying away from empty calories.  I would like to beleive I could as I have put on weight in the off season or post IM recovery and been able to knock it back off when I need to.

That said, I feel my running is really coming along from all the base miles I have put in over the last couple of years, but if I could just take off the last 10 to 15 to get into the low 170's would put me over the edge.  I seem to get stuck about 180 or so.
2011-04-13 7:49 AM

Veteran
Bradford, PA

A Steelers fan?!?  Living near Rochester?  LET'S GO BUFFALO!

I give you a lot of credit for the discipline and commitment to lose the weight.

2011-04-13 8:04 AM

Pro
Canandaigua NY
A couple of suggestions for the group that I was going to wait until we had more participants, but for some reason this year seems to be slower in filling up. 

Make sure you have the toggle e-mail alert turned on so you know when there has been a post here.  I think that if you get reminders from your e-mail it helps keep people engaged.

Also, add the group members to your friends list so you can check in with each other and offer inspires from time to time.  That also helps keep the group together.

Finally, it is really helpful if you log your workouts here, which I think everyone so far is.  This way if you have issues or questions it is easier to get a quick look at how your training is going. 

I am hoping to get the group up to about 15 or so.  That seems to be a nice size that works well without being over whelming.
2011-04-13 8:06 AM
in reply to: #3443866

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Trout - 2011-04-13 8:49 AM

A Steelers fan?!?  Living near Rochester?  LET'S GO BUFFALO!

I give you a lot of credit for the discipline and commitment to lose the weight.

Thanks!  You too!

I like the Bills and hope they continue to improve.  It is good for our part of the state to have them successful.  Somehow I just picked up the Steelers when I was in grade school.
2011-04-13 1:04 PM

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Hi Ken - I would love to join this group! Let me know and I will post a bio.
2011-04-13 2:20 PM
in reply to: #3444647

Pro
Canandaigua NY
robingray_260 - 2011-04-13 2:04 PM Hi Ken - I would love to join this group! Let me know and I will post a bio.

Hi Robin!  We would love to have you join our group!
2011-04-13 2:34 PM

Toronto-ish

If yer foolish enough to have me I'd love to join yer group.

Does that make me a ... groupie?

Congrats on the astounding weight loss Ken!! Bravo, sir.

2011-04-13 2:40 PM

Regular
Maryland

Ken, I would like to join your group.

My name is Vivian and I am signed up for a sprint tri in August.  This will be my first ever, I've been in weight loss mode since last July and have lost 22 lbs. thus far.  Am aiming for a total of 30.

I will post my full bio later.

2011-04-13 2:45 PM
in reply to: #3444883

Pro
Canandaigua NY
marvintpa - 2011-04-13 3:34 PM

If yer foolish enough to have me I'd love to join yer group.

Does that make me a ... groupie?

Congrats on the astounding weight loss Ken!! Bravo, sir.

Thanks!

Come on in! Post an intro/bio when you can!

Edited by kenj 2011-04-13 2:45 PM
2011-04-13 2:46 PM
in reply to: #3444898

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Viyoung - 2011-04-13 3:40 PM

Ken, I would like to join your group.

My name is Vivian and I am signed up for a sprint tri in August.  This will be my first ever, I've been in weight loss mode since last July and have lost 22 lbs. thus far.  Am aiming for a total of 30.

I will post my full bio later.

You are doing great with the weight loss Vivian! 

I look forward to reading your bio!
2011-04-13 2:50 PM

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Just an FYI, I have been splitting my time between my west coast office and east coast office the past couple of years, so my wife and I have had an apartment in CA as well as our home in NY (which has been great for training!).  But the project is winding down so I am out here to pack up our apartment and then fly home to NY on Friday.  So my internet availability will be somewhat sketchy tomorrow and almost non-existant on Friday until later in the evening (assuming the friendly skies cooperates).  SO if you post and I don't answer real quick, that is why and I will get back as soon as I can.

Over the weekend we can start discussing training ideas, issues etc.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj's group closed, training hard and having fun!! Rss Feed  

of 72