Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2011-06-11 2:55 AM
in reply to: #3434844

User image

Regular
Everywhere
Subject: RE: jmk-brooklyn's group-- FULL

in one of those oxygen deprived post ride moments i had a thought.... Sujith do you know if any Sri Lankan has quailfed for the olyimpic triathlon? if not GO FOR IT!!!!

then we can see you in London 2012

2011-06-11 9:12 PM
in reply to: #3543541

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Blinddave - 2011-06-11 2:55 AM

in one of those oxygen deprived post ride moments i had a thought.... Sujith do you know if any Sri Lankan has quailfed for the olyimpic triathlon? if not GO FOR IT!!!!

then we can see you in London 2012

Great idea! I'll be the only house in Brooklyn flying the SriLankan flag that day.
2011-06-11 9:21 PM
in reply to: #3537649

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Turtle who Tris - 2011-06-07 4:11 PM

Okay, here is the stupid question of the day:

When do you use sunscreen during the race?  If you put it on before you get into your wetsuit, will it come off?  I was watching NBC/Universal and they were showing the St. George, Utah Ironman, and they have people actually applying sunscreen to the racers' backs as they run from the bike transition, so my husband asked me if he could do this for me during my race (what a nice guy!).  What do you normally do?

-Kelly

I missed this question. Sorry!

I usually apply a good water-resistant sunblock like coppertone sport when I get dressed in the morning, avoiding the upper arms and backs of my calves. Then, once I get bodymarked on race morning, I give the markings a few minutes to sink in, then I do my arms and backs of my calves.

I haven't had big problems with sunburn using this method. Your husband isn't allowed to apply sunblock to you during the race, but, if you were really worried about it, you could put a can of the spray-on, no-rub sunblock in your transition area and give yourself a spray during transition. Just be careful of the people around you. At every race, there's one person who stands in their transition area covering themself from head to toe with the spray sunblock, and coating everything and everyone downwind with the stuff as well. Don't be that person.

Sadly, if the early weather outlook for the Gold Coast tri is accurate, you won't need to worry much about sunburn...
2011-06-12 1:00 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

Did a 57 mile ride yesterday & felt great. No problems with my knee. I'm glad I took a few days off.

I did a 1.5 mile bike ride with my kids today. My oldest (5) rode along side me while I pulled my younger two (3 &1) in a trailer on my mountain bike. Can't wait until they are a little older & we can do some longer ride together. Our average speed was probably 3 mph because I let my son beat me to every corner

Looking to do a 60 min run & a swim later today. 

2011-06-12 7:24 PM
in reply to: #3544724

User image

Veteran
Maryland
jpbis26 - 2011-06-12 2:00 PM

Did a 57 mile ride yesterday & felt great. No problems with my knee. I'm glad I took a few days off.

I did a 1.5 mile bike ride with my kids today. My oldest (5) rode along side me while I pulled my younger two (3 &1) in a trailer on my mountain bike. Can't wait until they are a little older & we can do some longer ride together. Our average speed was probably 3 mph because I let my son beat me to every corner

Looking to do a 60 min run & a swim later today. 

Wow, nice ride!

I like working out with my daughter as well. The jogging stroller is great fun for her and a good workout for me. She also likes to participate as I do some basic ab and upper body work. I hang onto her and do weighted V-Ups, and she loves to come over and push on my head when I do pushups. Kids are so much fun. How long did it take you to get used to the trailer? Right now I think I would feel completely unsafe pulling my daughter around while I was on a bike, but I know plenty of people that do it.

2011-06-12 11:01 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

Johnny- This was my first time out with the trailer. A friend of mine gave it to me last week (her kids are older now). It felt fine, but as you can see, we only went a short distance super slow. Also I had it hooked up to my moutain bike. Don't know how I would feel hooking it up to my road bike and going full speed.

But when I did my long ride this weekend, I saw a couple riding the Red Rock loop (which is a pretty tough route- lots of climbing & some fast descends) with their kid in a trailer. I might try a longer ride with my 3 year old this week. He loved it. My one year old was less enthusiastic.

2011-06-13 9:37 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I''ve never tried riding with a trailer. I don't think my kid would have enjoyed it and, typical urban apartment-dwellers that we are, we didn't really have room for it anyway. It must be quite a workout though. I once rode a century and I saw a guy at about mile 30 towing a trailer with another kid in a seat on the back of the bike. Father of the Year for sure.

Triathlon #2 of the season is Sunday. It's a flat, not very interesting course, but my buddy Danny is racing it with me, and it's his first tri ever. He bought a wetsuit last weekend, tried it on, thought it was too tight, and returned it for a larger size without ever swimming in it. Hopefully, he didn't get one too big...

I'm really undecided about Ironman NY, which they just announced. It's really expensive, mostly in New Jersey, and has a really uninteresting, spectator-unfriendly course. But it is an Ironman that I can probably take mass transit to, and sleep in my own bed after. I'm sure I won't do it the inaugural year, but 2013 is a possibility. I'll be 45, so I'll be in a new age group. If I'm ever going to do an IM, this would be the obvious choice.
2011-06-14 1:17 PM

User image

Regular
Everywhere

i want to do an "ironman" as well ive found myself saying that the IM brand is know and ppl expect that and seing as im only ever going to do one tri at 140.6 distance is it woth the extra cash or do a 140.6 with a smaller company for less money??

Distance is a factor as is location. IMUK is in Bolton, well boltons a bit grim, might do IMWales tho that has caught my eye as its nice round there.

2011-06-14 11:01 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I struggle with the same question. I wish I could say that I would feel just as good about finishing an "off-brand" 140.6 race, but the reality is, if I was ever going to do one, I'd probably do an IM-branded race, just so I could get the race t-shirt with the m-dot logo on it. Yes, I know, I'm a shallow, shallow person...

Truth is, I don't have the time or the resources to do an IM every year or two, so I'd prefer to go with a known quanity like an IM race.
2011-06-15 4:25 AM
in reply to: #3549715

Hello everybody,

I missed 10 days of training at a stretch due to the eye infection I had, which came with a slight fever. In the mean time, I got the bike at last. (It had not been a smooth flight for the Trek. Gulf Air had not picked up 4 luggage bags from Bahrain, that my Sis and the family were bringing in, which included my bike. So after coming to Sri Lanka, they had to go back to the Air Port again the following day to collect those bags.  So the bike came one day late, and was about to be taxed, though it was a used one. It was a narrow escape.

Got the bike fixed.... and it is a perfect fit so far!.. and it's a beauty... I really enjoyed the couple of rides I had so far. So no issue with the frame size!.

I had the chance to train with the Air Force cycling team last Sunday in the new bike. In fact we get help from their cycling coach. ( SL is a very small country, so it's no big deal here!). There were 12 cyclists altogether in the bunch most of them are at National level. It was to be a 180 km ride on the main roads, leading towards the up country. The group were riding in pairs in two lines and every 5 minutes or so they change positions, sharing the air resistance ( What ever you call it!). i was asked to stay away from this rotation and was riding from behind,keeping a comfortable distance. The first 20 mints was a WU at around 25-28 Kmph. This was done in the inner cog- wheel. Then the main session went around 30- 40 kmph, on the outer Cog wheel. I had to quit after about one and half hours ( 50 kms). It was on the mid of a huge hill that I was asked to stop. I was really tired and fully exhausted. It was a good experience though. I was also told to practice balancing the bike. He felt that, i was not really comfortable on the bike, when taking the water bottle out....etc.

The above session, and some other additional office stuff, called for a break of two more days, and i did another bike session this morning and planning to go to the gym in the evening. I want to get slowly in to swimming and running, due to the long break I had.

OOPS! Blinddave  and Jonah,  Thanks for your encouraging comments on London Olympics in 2012!!!... in fact that made me think......We can train a team from the country and send. We do not have many areas that we have been good in Olympics. With the experience we are getting and with the help of BT and the teams, I feel we could start training a team to represent the country... We are seriously thinking of writing to our Olympic Committee.....I  do not know whether we have time for 2012, but we are going to find out the deadlines...etc, and work on it (Training some youngsters...)...Thanks for the tip.

Btw, Jonah, could you please explain some of the terms below? ( LT ?- It has been there throughout, but did not bother to find out. Must be an obvious one that I know of. Zone - 2? - is it RPE - 2?)

Raise Bike LT
LT
WU: 10'
MS: 6' hard (at RPE 8.5/9), 2' easy (zone 2). Do this 7x.
CD: 10'

Cheers!

Sujith

2011-06-15 7:33 PM
in reply to: #3549808

User image

Veteran
Maryland
Sujith that sounds awesome to be able to train with the Air Force cycling team. I'm impressed you hung with them for so long. That sounds like so much fun. You really are getting to do all kinds of cool stuff on your triathlon journey.

2011-06-15 7:41 PM
in reply to: #3551445

User image

Veteran
Maryland

140.6 miles is 140.6 miles. Sure the M-dot events might have more hype, more organization, more energy, and more swag, but the accomplishment is the same. If someone told me they did an Ironman my first question would not be, "was it a real Ironman or an off brand race?" My reaction is going to be one of awe and respect.

Now, that being said, I don't have my eyes set on doing a full Ironman for a long time. I'm in no hurry to cross that off my list, and when the time comes I want to rock it. Also, since I won't be doing a ton of IM races, I will probably want one that is really nicely done. I can see why people would want to do the M-dot races over off brand, especially if it's their first. I say if you just want the glory of going 140.6 do whatever race you can, but if you want to do a "real" Ironman for the full effect, well there's nothing wrong with that. Unless I break 5 hours on a HIM I plan on doing Vineman in 2031 as my first Ironman, and it just happens to be an M-dot event. (That wasn't a typo, I meant 2031, not 2013.)

2011-06-15 7:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Maryland
Alright, so I have my new bike that got professionally fitted because my old bike was junk and very important parts of me were going numb while I was riding. I've noticed that even on the new bike I keep getting numbness while on the trainer. While out on the road I don't have the problem; it's just on the trainer. If I get out of the saddle for a minute or two the numbness goes away for a bit. I've also noticed that the more padding I have in my shorts the quicker I go numb. I do all of my trainer rides with 0 padding now. Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong to make my junk go numb? I (and my very concerned wife) would like to fix this issue.
2011-06-16 12:02 AM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

Sujith- I love reading your posts. Great job on the bike. I would have been totally intimdated to ride with them.

Jonah- Good luck in your upcoming race.

I have a race this Sat in St. George, UT. I was originally supposed to race with my friend Jen (who I met on BT & now cycle with) but she broke her wrist a few weeks ago & is unable to race. I'm still racing since I paid the registration (BTW Jen is doing fine and is now able to run again. She should be back on a bike in a few weeks). I don't really care too much about this race, just looking to have fun & get in a good workout. Def don't want to put the pressure on myself that I did for my last race. And, yes, I will be pushing a harder gear this time around  I know I might fall apart on the run with this strategy, but I won't know until I try.

2011-06-16 1:00 PM
in reply to: #3551459

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
johnnyfulltime - 2011-06-15 7:44 PM

Alright, so I have my new bike that got professionally fitted because my old bike was junk and very important parts of me were going numb while I was riding. I've noticed that even on the new bike I keep getting numbness while on the trainer. While out on the road I don't have the problem; it's just on the trainer. If I get out of the saddle for a minute or two the numbness goes away for a bit. I've also noticed that the more padding I have in my shorts the quicker I go numb. I do all of my trainer rides with 0 padding now. Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong to make my junk go numb? I (and my very concerned wife) would like to fix this issue.

Johnny, I think the next thing I’d look at is your seat. The flag for me was the fact that wearing different shorts with more padding makes you go numb faster. Some people can be equally comfortable on any seat, regardless of shape or padding, while others are very susceptible to numbness or discomfort unless they ride a particular size and shape of saddle. Go to a good bike shop and try a few different ones out. I bet that’s what the problem is. My only other thought is: when you’re on the trainer, are you raising the front of your bike so that it’s equal in height to the level of the rear wheel? If one wheel is higher or lower, that could be throwing off your position.

Interesting saddle-related fact I learned recently:
Among pro cyclists who ride tens of thousands of miles/year, saddle comfort is, obviously, of the utmost importance. So much so that pro cycling teams will not dictate to their riders which saddle they must use, even if the team has a sponsorship deal with a particular saddle maker. So, for example, while Team Radio Shack riders must ride Trek bikes with Sram components and Bontrager wheels, even if the team has Fizik as a sponsor, the riders on the team are free to use Selle Italia or Profile Design or whichever make of saddle they are most comfortable with.
2011-06-16 1:24 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Wow, Sujith—that sounds awesome. Riding in a group is such a great way to improve your cycling skill and fitness.
Per your questions:

Raise Bike LT
“LT” usually refers to “Lactate Threshold”. The best way to determine your LT is a physiological test where you run on a treadmill and, as your heart rate increases, a tech draws a small amount of your blood, which they measure for lactate buildup. Your LT is the point at which (measured in terms of beats/minute) where your body can no longer prevent the sharp increase of lactate in your blood, which leads to a steep drop in performance. Mine is around 167 beats/minute. That means that as long as I keep my heart rate at or below 167bpm, I should be able to continue at that pace for 2-3 hours as long as I maintain my calories and hydration. If I go above that point, it will start to hurt and I’ll have to either dial it back down to below my LT or stop altogether. LT is the level that you would normally run a half-marathon or Olympic tri. A shorter event, like a 10k or a Sprint, you would go closer to your all-out, above-threshold pace, while a marathon or long-course tri you would have to remain at sub-threshold.

You can increase your LT by training at and slightly above your LT to improve your fitness. LT is different from maximum heart rate which is a function of age and genetics and can’t really be affected by training.

Zone 2 is another heartrate reference, and refers to the level you should be at for longer training or long-course race efforts. It’s the “able to carry on a conversation while running” level. It’s equivalent to RPE5.

Here’s an article on BT with a glossary of a lot of these terms.

2011-06-17 3:21 PM
in reply to: #3552719

Jackie, JhoneyFT,

Appreciate your comments......

Jonah, that's quite an explanation on LT and Zone - 2. Thanks for all your support! I will be throwing a lot more questions in your way...

Cheers!

Sujith

2011-06-18 5:12 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Finished the St George Sprint today in 1:33. I had an okay run & swim & a great bike. I'm used to riding very hilly terrain and expected the same in St George but this course was very flat with some rolling hills. I averaged 22 mph. So that was cool to see how fast I was on a flat course. I usually average 14-15 mph on my training rides with lots of climbing. So having a flat course was a nice change.
2011-06-19 5:23 AM
in reply to: #3555805

User image

Veteran
Maryland
Nice job Jackie. That is some sweet speed on the bike. It sounds like you had a good time. Well done.
2011-06-19 9:53 AM
in reply to: #3555805

Well done Jackie! You are a  fast rider!!!..... and if you are good on the hills, hats off from me....that's an area I am struggling with.....

Sujith

2011-06-19 11:06 AM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV

Thanks guys. Wrote some details about the bike leg of my tri in my blog (had a fun time competing with another cyclist). You can click on the link in my signature if you are interested.

Jonah- Hope your race went well.

2011-06-20 10:58 AM
in reply to: #3556392

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
jpbis26 - 2011-06-19 11:06 AM

Thanks guys. Wrote some details about the bike leg of my tri in my blog (had a fun time competing with another cyclist). You can click on the link in my signature if you are interested.

Jonah- Hope your race went well.

I'll definitely check it out-- 22mph is fast! Good for you. What's next?
2011-06-20 11:06 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
My race was kind of a mess—I was happy with my finish, 1:12, which is 8 minutes faster than the last time I did this race a few years ago.

The race itself was really poorly organized, to the point of being dangerous. You can read about it in my race report, but basically, they had close to 1000 people on a two-loop course where each loop was less than 5 miles in length, and that was just the problem with the bike course.

It’s always a little bit of a gamble when you sign up to do a small local event like this one. For me, I tend to prefer the larger events that are run by Race Directors who run multiple races around the country; they tend to be better organized and more focused on safety.
2011-06-21 6:24 AM

Jackie, you are really fast.  All of the hills you typically work on have really helped you on the flats.  I'd be happy with sustaining 15mph on the bike, nevermind 22mph. 

Jonah, congrats on your improvement in the Gold Coast Tri.  It sounds like you don't like this race so much (and I see what you mean about the bike course issues-and that bad accident with the guy that had to be taken away in an ambulance), but it's really popular, more so than other local races.  Why do you think that is? 

That was my first OWS tri, and I've learned that I'm going to need to get more time in the open water if I want to improve and not feel intimidated by the current and waves in my face.  Being a BOP, there isn't much in the way of bottlenecks and passing issues on the bike course, but the road was in horrible shape.  The run was okay.  Of course by the time I got to the boardwalk everyone else was on their way out, so it was tough to run through everyone, even with my own bike escort. Not sure if I'll do that one again, but I'm still glad I did it.  Looking foward to my next tri in August (Smith Point), primarily because it's only a 500m swim Wink.

-Kelly

2011-06-21 10:42 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I’ve been wondering a lot why it’s so popular. When I did it a few years ago, I was new to the sport and I didn’t really recognize some of the flaws for what they are.

I think part of it is convenience—there aren’t a lot of sprint tris in the area, and the location makes it easy to get to from Nassau, Suffolk, and the City. I bet that there are a lot of people who do this race once and not again.
But, as Bobby said on the NYC thread, none of the issues related to this race should detract from your having FINSIHED YOUR FIRST OWS TRIATHLON!

That is a huge accomplishment and you deserve to be proud. That is a long swim for a Sprint, and you should be proud of having gotten through it. My friend, also his first race, had a panic attack at the swim start and had to stop and talk himself into continuing.

Where’s the Smith Point race? I wouldn’t mind doing a Sprint in August. I’ll be training for my half, but it’d be nice to have another race on the calendar.
Congrats again!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jmk-brooklyn's group-- FULL Rss Feed  

of 16