BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigDH - Checking Off the Boxes - Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2011-05-12 12:18 PM
in reply to: #3495638

New user

Greater Toronto Area
Subject: RE: BigDH - Checking Off the Boxes - Mentor Group - CLOSED

So I just finished my longest bike ride ever.  Keep in mind that for me this is actually really short, and still not as long as I will need to do for my first ever race in June, but I'm still feeling pretty encouraged.  Cycling will likely be the toughest leg of the race for me since I'm a really strong swimmer and a fairly experienced runner.  A few weeks ago, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to finish since the race at all since it's only a month away.  But as of today I have a renewed sense of hope and I'm thinking this might be possible again.

Steph

2011-05-12 2:00 PM
in reply to: #3495638

User image

Champion
Calgary
_Deb_ - 2011-05-12 10:30 AM

Hey all!  So, I got my wetsuit in the mail yesterday.  It was an adventure putting it on, but I think it will work!  My last blog post is about it.  If anyone is interested, the link is in my signature.

I also had a good ride yesterday with a friend.  I'm a stronger cyclist then her, but she just was pulling one kid, and I had both, so I think it helped even it out some.

And my swim last night was great!  The pool has been so busy lately.  I shared the lane for a little bit, then had it to myself most of the time.  It was a total zen swim.  I did a few drills, but mostly just focused on form and "swimming pretty".  I felt totally relaxed in the water.

just be careful of the finger nails!
2011-05-12 4:15 PM
in reply to: #3435962

User image

Champion
Calgary
k, I gotta share my workout today.

So supposed to be 18k with 5 X 1200 meter repeats done at 5k pace (4:32/k) with a 50-90% jog between (I took 3 min 15 sec). It was brutal. Did 3 repeats, felt good but had to take a bio break. Then back at it, I did 4 more repeats, one of them was 1600 meters. That was this morning. My legs currently are like jelly.

I do highly suggest this workout to make you feel like a super stud. Start with less distance though.

2011-05-13 2:10 AM

That sounds like fun!!I had a good run, again xcountry. We got a bit lost and had some slower members. So stopped for them to catch up, it was a bit stop, start!5miles in 47mins so it was quite quick in places.Then apparently did over 1k of swimming drills, felt good!!Enjoy.Cheers, mark
2011-05-13 9:42 AM

User image

Regular
I had a great run this morning.  I set out to do 6k, but ended up doing 7.  I got in early this week to see my doctor, and we changed my asthma medication.  I'd really been feeling like it's poorly managed lately.  I think I might actually be feeling a difference in it already.  Either that, or I just had a good run.  I'll take either.
2011-05-13 3:54 PM
in reply to: #3496208

User image

Regular
Libertyville, IL

BigDH - 2011-05-12 4:15 PM k, I gotta share my workout today. So supposed to be 18k with 5 X 1200 meter repeats done at 5k pace (4:32/k) with a 50-90% jog between (I took 3 min 15 sec). It was brutal. Did 3 repeats, felt good but had to take a bio break. Then back at it, I did 4 more repeats, one of them was 1600 meters. That was this morning. My legs currently are like jelly. I do highly suggest this workout to make you feel like a super stud. Start with less distance though.

So - per Darren's suggestion I did 4x1200m with a 200m rest interval as my main set today.  Thanks for the suggestion!  Great workout!  Can't say I feel like a super stud, but I feel pretty good. 

Deb - glad you got your new medicine for your asthma.  Hopefully it helps get it under control. 

For this weekend - I have a long bike Saturday planned (18miles) and a long run Sunday (8miles).  Have a nice weekend everyone!

2011-05-13 4:10 PM
in reply to: #3498028

User image

Champion
Calgary
rdietz - 2011-05-13 2:54 PM

BigDH - 2011-05-12 4:15 PM k, I gotta share my workout today. So supposed to be 18k with 5 X 1200 meter repeats done at 5k pace (4:32/k) with a 50-90% jog between (I took 3 min 15 sec). It was brutal. Did 3 repeats, felt good but had to take a bio break. Then back at it, I did 4 more repeats, one of them was 1600 meters. That was this morning. My legs currently are like jelly. I do highly suggest this workout to make you feel like a super stud. Start with less distance though.

So - per Darren's suggestion I did 4x1200m with a 200m rest interval as my main set today.  Thanks for the suggestion!  Great workout!  Can't say I feel like a super stud, but I feel pretty good. 

Deb - glad you got your new medicine for your asthma.  Hopefully it helps get it under control. 

For this weekend - I have a long bike Saturday planned (18miles) and a long run Sunday (8miles).  Have a nice weekend everyone!

ahhhhh, that makes me smile. Not much of a break, at what race pace did you do the repeats at?
2011-05-13 4:22 PM
in reply to: #3498046

User image

Regular
Libertyville, IL

That was my 5k race pace.  7:40 was the average mile pace on the slowest 2 repeats.  So - I was cookin'.  The 200 Rest Interval was not jogging - it was walking.  So it was about a 1:50 rest.  Thanks again for the workout! 

2011-05-13 5:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Southern Saratoga County, NY

Finally got my lifting in this week.  Met with the Abs class teacher and he had met with the pilates teacher so I learned some new stuff for abs: Pull belly button toward back during crunches.  Also when doing cross legs - go wider and pull armpit towards bent knee.

Ran to the local school track for the first time EVER!  Did 1 lap (.29mile) repeats.  I did a tempo'ish run on Wednesday so this kind of broke a "rule" of no back-to-back hard/quality runs.  But I had no workout at all yesterday - just could not grab the time and felt a bit tired.

2011-05-14 1:42 PM
in reply to: #3498133

User image

Champion
Calgary
benjaminjacobso - 2011-05-13 4:16 PM

Finally got my lifting in this week.  Met with the Abs class teacher and he had met with the pilates teacher so I learned some new stuff for abs: Pull belly button toward back during crunches.  Also when doing cross legs - go wider and pull armpit towards bent knee.

Ran to the local school track for the first time EVER!  Did 1 lap (.29mile) repeats.  I did a tempo'ish run on Wednesday so this kind of broke a "rule" of no back-to-back hard/quality runs.  But I had no workout at all yesterday - just could not grab the time and felt a bit tired.

Ben,

How often do you do ab work. I have started throw in some plank and leg raises during my nightly yoga sessions. I am sneaking it in, so my body doesn't actually realise we are doing ab work.
2011-05-14 1:49 PM
in reply to: #3498062

User image

Champion
Calgary
rdietz - 2011-05-13 3:22 PM

That was my 5k race pace.  7:40 was the average mile pace on the slowest 2 repeats.  So - I was cookin'.  The 200 Rest Interval was not jogging - it was walking.  So it was about a 1:50 rest.  Thanks again for the workout! 

You know I was thinking abou this last and how great that you are out there doing this killer workout because it is like a super smack in the face gut wrenching ordeal. And I am like, it took me 5 sessions to get to 1200 meters. And then I am like, maybe I shouldn't be suggesting people go out and and run until they puke. Not that the puking part is bad so much as the muscle strains that can be caused by going to hard too often.

So, I mean, once in a while doing this type of workout isn't going to hurt you, I mean you are basically doing 6k at a 5k pace with breaks in it, so you should be fine. But careful doing it more than once every other week. The plan I am working on has these workouts kinda staggared on a weekly basis so

one week it is 5 600s
then 8 800s
then 5 600s
then 6 1000s
then 5 600s
then 5 1200s
then 5 600s
then 3 1600s (hehe, this is next week, that is going to hurt)

2011-05-14 5:40 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida

Another busy week for me. Can't wait for the school year to end!!!  Had a race today.  It was a repeat race from last year.  I was five minutes faster than last year, that was the good part.  I was 2nd in the Under 39 Clydesdale division, which is also good, but last year I was 2nd by 33 seconds, this year, OVER 5 minutes!  Oh well, I had a great race and was able to make a family day out of the race and spend some time with my boys and wife at the beach.

Race report is here:  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=252196

2011-05-15 1:00 PM
in reply to: #3499165

User image

Regular
Libertyville, IL

Chris - way to go in your race!  

2011-05-15 6:50 PM
in reply to: #3498923

User image

Veteran

Ben, How often do you do ab work. I have started throw in some plank and leg raises during my nightly yoga sessions. I am sneaking it in, so my body doesn't actually realise we are doing ab work.

I do abs 1 or 2 times per week, basically whenever I lift.

2011-05-15 8:54 PM

User image

Regular

Hey all.  I've had a great weekend here.  Headed out to the mountains with the family yesterday.  The only downside is the wind.  I did my bike yesterday on the trainer rather then outside.  It's been really windy, and truthfully I was worried about my stability on the bike.  Today was still windy, but better to run in it then bike.  I could physically feel it slowing me down a couple times when it gusted.

I've been pacing my long runs a lot better this week and last.  Previously, I almost never was able to finish at the same speed I started.  I slowed myself way down at the start, and have gotten a higher average speed out of it.  Plus, I actually ran my last 3 km much faster then the average overall, so I think I may actually be able to go faster then I have been.

Re: ab work - I don't do it, but it's the one thing (other then sbr) that I'm convinced I ought to be doing.  I really should start throwing some planks in, even if I don't do much else.  It wouldn't even be hard to find time for it since I can do it with the kids around.

2011-05-15 8:57 PM
in reply to: #3500661

User image

Regular

So, is anyone else a race addict?  Seriously, I love the adrenaline from them, and knowing one is coming up really keeps me motivated.  It's been a month since my last one, and that was a disappointing one, and it's 3 weeks till my next one.  Too long for me!  Ideally, I would love to have one a month.  I actually had wanted to do one this month, but my husband was going to be going on a business trip (which then got postponed), so I didn't sign up.

I'm crazy, but I want to race and I want to do it now...

2011-05-16 9:17 AM
in reply to: #3500407

User image

Champion
Calgary
benjaminjacobso - 2011-05-15 5:50 PM

Ben, How often do you do ab work. I have started throw in some plank and leg raises during my nightly yoga sessions. I am sneaking it in, so my body doesn't actually realise we are doing ab work.

I do abs 1 or 2 times per week, basically whenever I lift.

What is your routine?
2011-05-16 9:22 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
And another week starts:

Last week went well. I was a little dissapointed with my 32k on Sunday as I only held my MP for 26k, I wanted a bit more...but it was a long week, and as Deb said, the wind was horrible, it took 2 hours but it finally broke me. Running into the wind....grrrrrr.

So this week, easy peasy right. 2 week taper. So really only have 2 workouts t his week, a 21k long run (seriously, most weeks I have been doing 2 above 23k) and 3 sets of 1600 meter repeats. The rest is recovery jogs and riding to work. Ahhhhhhh.
2011-05-16 9:36 AM
in reply to: #3500667

User image

Champion
Calgary
Hey Deb,

Some more about the wind. I actually don't hate it too much. IT just really makes for a better workout, and face it, if it is windy where you leave you likely are going to be racing in the wind so good to get used to it.

It is super tricky on the bike though. I know a lot of lighter races have problems with cross winds, espeacially when trucks pass. I am 195lbs and never have felt like I was going to be blown over but I know some people have really fought it.

I think the wind on the run can be a real learning experience if you find yourself a 3-5k circle route and run that 4-6 times as you really learn a lot about intensity and pace in the wind, using a tail wind and fighting a head wind. If you try to keep your pace consistent through the loop it really is interesting because you have to fight SO HARD into the wind and then just cruise with the wind. It is kinda like an interval workout but not as hard but also harder, lol

I imagine the same thing could be done on the bike with a 10-20k loop.

Re Racing. I am hardly an addict. I get a little scared coming up to races, especially triathlons, with all that can go wrong, especially the bike. Well, I guess that is not true, when I was working on getting to an IM I really looked forward to each race as it was getting me closer to my goal.

IF I am running and I don't really care about my time, just having fun and working hard, then yeah I like racing, but then I am hardly racing. And if I am not "racing" I have a difficult time participating in a race due to time away from the family on the weekend. I think it is just more a phase in life type of thing.

2011-05-16 10:01 AM
in reply to: #3501344

User image

Regular
Libertyville, IL

Regarding the wind - I did my 18 mile bike ride yesterday in the wind.  It was a steady 30mph gusting to 40mph.  It was nasty cold and windy.  I decided against bringing my bike back down into the basement to put on the trainer.  I'm done with the trainer.  It was a miserable ride, but I'm glad I did it.  I never felt out of control, but it was some hard work going into the wind and with a cross wind.  Was going about 12mph into the wind and 30mph with the wind at my back (that was the fun part). 

2011-05-16 4:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

The 300meter marathon.

Training hasnt been really on the radar lately but believe me I have been busting my arse. I went on a white water kayaking trip on lake superior for the last 4 days. Kayaking can certainly be strenuous but in this case it went a little over the top. We tackled a river that hadnt been run in 10 years and has virtually no documentation on.  We relied on topographical maps and google satelite images but were pretty much going in blind. There were a few unrunable rapid that we had to get around. The worst portage was  in a canyon. This involved pushing pulling and dragging a loaded 80lb kayak through really dense brush alongside a slippery muddy bank. Slipping would have resulted in going into the river which could have be disastrous. In total that 300m portage took approximately 3 hours to complete. The cold, rain and lack of sun also added to the difficulty. Physically and mentally draining days ended with us all looking at our watches wondering if it was too early to go to bed. Bed time averaged around 8pm. Lots of great rapids to run and an awesome adventure. Not triathlon but I I feel I put in my physical training this past weekend.

2011-05-16 11:07 PM

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida

The end is near!!! Only 17 days left!!!  And, my school's baseball team has made to the final four in the state playoffs, so I'll be leaving with them Thursday morning and hopefully not be returning home until late Saturday, with some hardware in tow. I'm trying to squeeze in all of my workouts around my schedule, so I'm planning on doubling up two days this week.  I was able to get in a swim before lunch and then a run this evening.  So far I'm not a big fan of doubling up.

Deb - I am a race junkie also.  3 races in 3 weeks and as soon as I knew I was going to the other coast for baseball, I check out races in the area, just in case I had a morning free. (There is a tri but the late registration fee is ridiculous!)

Ryan - Sounds like a great time. I have only done white water rafting once, and loved it.  I hope to take the family this summer on our way back from St. Louis.

Ab work - Not lately but was doing it last year as part of the Abs Diet program.  It really helped, I just got lazy and stopped.  I keep telling myself I will start strength and core workouts as soon as school is out.

Chris

2011-05-17 6:32 AM

User image

Veteran

DaveL:
I'd love to see some photo's of this Kayak expedition!

All:
Out of the blue - my right achillies tendon have become a bit touchy.  Doesn't really hurt, but it feels odd - sort of tight.  Since I just noticed it, I'm thinking ice.  Scratch that - it hurts when I palpate. Thoughts?

Racing on Thursday with the rest of New York's "Capital District".

2011-05-17 8:05 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Ben: I have never had an Achilles issue, although I have had plenty of Plantar faciitis. Smart advice is always to take things easy, which super sucks. I think it can be okay to train easy with a slight injury, I usually find that once the area gets warmed up a bit things are okay. Problem is if you throw some intensity into the mix you can really make things worse.

More on Ab Work: The Best thing about TV is ab work. I have gotten to the point that I cannot sit in front of the TV at night without doing my yoga routine. We don't have tons of time to watch TV, what with the 2 year old and all, but if I manage to 30 min at the end of the night and find myself lying on the couch working through recordings from months ago, it is not long until I have guilted myself to the floor to get some stretching and ab work in.
2011-05-17 9:19 PM
in reply to: #3498937

User image

Regular
Libertyville, IL

BigDH -  2011-05-14 1:49 PM

You know I was thinking abou this last and how great that you are out there doing this killer workout because it is like a super smack in the face gut wrenching ordeal. And I am like, it took me 5 sessions to get to 1200 meters. And then I am like, maybe I shouldn't be suggesting people go out and and run until they puke. Not that the puking part is bad so much as the muscle strains that can be caused by going to hard too often. 

So, I mean, once in a while doing this type of workout isn't going to hurt you, I mean you are basically doing 6k at a 5k pace with breaks in it, so you should be fine. But careful doing it more than once every other week. The plan I am working on has these workouts kinda staggared on a weekly basis so 

one week it is 5 600s 
then 8 800s 
then 5 600s 
then 6 1000s 
then 5 600s 
then 5 1200s 
then 5 600s 
then 3 1600s (hehe, this is next week, that is going to hurt)

I'm definitely in need of some speed workouts so I'll incorporate some of those in.  I usually try to do 1 speed workout a week (and maybe I'm not going fast enough - I haven't been puking!).  I have no definite running plan run now, just my BT training program which lists the mileage only.  So, I'll use those for sure until I'm back in marathon training mode - then it's back to the book.  

Re Ab work:  once a week.  I need to do it much more.  I like Darren's idea of doing it while watching TV and I've done that, but I still have issues with wanting to unwind after work or a workout with my favorite recovery drink (BEER).  And I don't think I should be doing ab work while under the influence.  That might be dangerous!  

_Deb_ - 2011-05-15 8:54 PM

So, is anyone else a race addict?  Seriously, I love the adrenaline from them, and knowing one is coming up really keeps me motivated.  It's been a month since my last one, and that was a disappointing one, and it's 3 weeks till my next one.  Too long for me!  Ideally, I would love to have one a month.  I actually had wanted to do one this month, but my husband was going to be going on a business trip (which then got postponed), so I didn't sign up.

I'm crazy, but I want to race and I want to do it now...

Yes - I'm a race addict too.  I wish I actually had more time to fit a few more in.  

About my bike ride today:  I did 18 miles during rush hour traffic.  The car traffic was heavy, but the bike traffic was also heavy.  I nearly got run over by a 20 rider peloton of much faster and more experienced riders.  There is nothing more discouraging than nearly being run over by a bunch of other riders.  I need some help!  I need some speed!   

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BigDH - Checking Off the Boxes - Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 21