General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman St. George : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2012-01-29 10:55 AM
in reply to: #3556416

User image

Regular
Logan, Utah
Subject: RE: Ironman St. George : Official Thread

I drove down to St. George this weekend to ride the bike course. I did the first 22 miles on Friday afternoon, and then rode back the same way to end back at Sand Hollow for a total of 44 miles. Saturday I did one loop (about 42 miles)

Here are the observations of a First-Timer (this will be my first Full), middle of the pack'r

First off - Pray for NO wind. Now I see why they named the town "Hurricane" where Sand Hollow Reservoir is. The wind was brutal. However, there is enough zigzaging in the first part of the course that you're never in a headwind (or tailwind) for very long. So on with my observations:

The first four miles is a very smooth road, seems to be mostly descending, but in a harsh headwind it hardly felt that way. Once out on Hwy 9 you have a couple of miles of a steep downhill and an equally steep hike uphill before hitting Telegraph and then its mostly a fast down hill until you get to washington parkway and turn to climb a short stint up to get onto the side-road above the freeway. The side-road along the freeway is generally down hill until you get to St George and make the climb up Red Hills Parkway where you ride up above St George until you hit about mile 19 where you have a very fast 8% downhill.

I wasn't quite sure how the whole transition thing works onto Snow Canyon Parkway so I just rode straight through (any comments here would be helpful).

Snow Canyon Parkway to 2000 N to Pioneer Parkway to the old 91 is a few miles and generally descending. The first section along 91 is very rough. It's like mini speed bumps every two feet. It's only a couple of miles long, but I launched one of my water bottles in that area. The chip and seal that everyone talks about was very very mild. Hopefully they don't chip and seal it before the race.

The road out to gunlock is generally climbing but only slightly. As I got closer to Gunlock Reservoir the wind began to pick up. One thing that I hadn't been expecting is there is a 500ish yd climb just after the reservoir. It was so incredibly steep; I figured this was the wall that everyone was talking about (a headwind didn't help). I thought the wall was right after the reservoir. You can imagine my surprise when I actually hit "the wall". Pretty much as bad as everyone says. I was in my lowest gear and giving everything I had, out of the saddle, just to keep vertical -  and that was with a pretty good tail wind. Yikes. I've decided to switch out my cassette (I currently ride a 25).

Unfortunately, you don't crest the wall and then reap the benefits of your work with a long steep down hill. NO - you continue a general climb/rollers into what I think must have been Veyo. You turn onto Hwy 18, and if I remember you do descend abit before you start another couple of climbs along the highway. I think it was about mile 32ish of the 42 mile loop that you finally get the consistent 6%-8% constant downhill that leads you to Snow Canyon Parkway where you hang a right and begin loop 2.

So now after having experienced the whole course,  I am readjusting my goals. My hope was to finish the bike in 6 hours - now I'm thinking I'll be lucky to do it in 7. Also, I don't believe there is any amount of indoor training (I'm on rollers w/resistance), that can prepare for these hills. I'm just going to have to get outdoors in the bitter cold and hit the hills. I am going to make at least 4 more trips down to St George to do the course.

All that said, I've very excited, although plenty nervous..... what a feeling.  Happy training everyone. 

2012-01-29 12:31 PM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
The above is as good a description of the bike course I have read so I won't add anything additional after my ride yesterday. I also failed to restart my Garmin leaving town and missed the first 10 miles of the loop so my data is incomplete for that. Yeah, it was really windy, coming out of the north east. The worst was up towards Veyo. I rode the course with an 11/23 cassette and it was tough. I plan on training with that to make my climbs even harder and then switching to an 11/26 for the race. I have a 53 front chain ring. Another decision will be which wheels. I am still inclined to use my rear disc but I also could opt for 808's. We'll see.

So here is the new run course. We started from the Best Western hotel and after completing one full loop and a run to the Transition area, I did one more trip out and back on the diagonal road.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
2012-01-29 12:41 PM
in reply to: #4017048

User image

Regular
Logan, Utah

Bryan,

Are you familiar with that little loop deal as Red Hills Pkwy turns into Snow Canyon Pkwy? It talks about taking a left on 1300 West, then a bike trail, then back onto Snow Canyon Pkwy.... I didn't understand that while I was out there?

2012-01-29 12:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I was originally planning on doing a HIM in June but I have this sudden urge to do another IM (I did IMFL 2011).  Just not sure about my volume right now.  I looked at the advanced IM plan on BT at week 15 and I am pretty close to where I need to be (lacking swim volume but I can make this up). My concern is the bike.   I have been doing Jorges plan and throwing in extra bike per week. Do you think I will get crushed on the bike?  What is everyone's volume been the last few weeks?
2012-01-29 1:41 PM
in reply to: #4017058

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
CodRed - 2012-01-29 12:41 PM

Bryan,

Are you familiar with that little loop deal as Red Hills Pkwy turns into Snow Canyon Pkwy? It talks about taking a left on 1300 West, then a bike trail, then back onto Snow Canyon Pkwy.... I didn't understand that while I was out there?

Not Bryan, but figured I would answer since I've raced this course x2

When you come off Redhill Pkwy there is a bike path, unfortunatley just after the nice 8% grade downhill, it takes you to the left, under the overpass, loop around and it puts you right back on Snow Canyon Blvd. There will be alot of folks on the approach as well as on the path telling you to slow down and you definitly want to heed it as the turns are hair pins. Last year coming off the 2nd loop a guy hit a corner too fast, slid out and was a bloody mess. Its also a no pass zone for this reason. It only takes a minute or so to move through so. Super quick.

When you come off the decent back into SG there will also be folks telling you to slow down to make the turn back onto Snow Canyon. There have been plenty of slide outs at this turn so when they tell you to slow back, trust them and slow back.

The other tidbit I can add is that you go through the bike path again after lap 2. When you come out its a 90 degree turn back onto Snow Canyon, then its a short steep uphill for a couple blocks. This little hill more than any other ticks me off. Its basically like an insult.
2012-01-29 2:19 PM
in reply to: #4017138

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA
LittleCat - 2012-01-29 11:41 AM 

When you come out its a 90 degree turn back onto Snow Canyon, then its a short steep uphill for a couple blocks. This little hill more than any other ticks me off. Its basically like an insult.

lol - Don't you just hate it when courses have to get in that last little dig before you finish?  

2012-01-29 6:15 PM
in reply to: #4016973

User image

Veteran
Heber City, UT/San Carlos, Mexico

CodRed - 2012-01-29 9:55 AM

One thing that I hadn't been expecting is there is a 500ish yd climb just after the reservoir. It was so incredibly steep; I figured this was the wall that everyone was talking about (a headwind didn't help). I thought the wall was right after the reservoir. You can imagine my surprise when I actually hit "the wall".

Sounds like you're talking about the climb at Eagle Mountain (I think that's what the barn says right there).

I feel like its a steeper hard climb than "the wall". The wall is longer, but you're more able to get into a cruising gear and just bust it out. That Eagle Mountain thing though... steep, hard. On your 2nd lap its VERY hard. I expect to see a good number of people walking that thing. The only thing that has prevented me from re-gearing my bike is that its pretty short. I've done 2 laps around Veyo before, but not after having swum 2.4 miles.

To me... that shorter climb you mention is "the wall".
The actual "wall" is just a long slow grinder...

Edited by gwbuild 2012-01-29 6:16 PM
2012-01-29 8:37 PM
in reply to: #4017065

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

MRDAVIDALEXANDER - 2012-01-29 10:52 AM I was originally planning on doing a HIM in June but I have this sudden urge to do another IM (I did IMFL 2011).  Just not sure about my volume right now.  I looked at the advanced IM plan on BT at week 15 and I am pretty close to where I need to be (lacking swim volume but I can make this up). My concern is the bike.   I have been doing Jorges plan and throwing in extra bike per week. Do you think I will get crushed on the bike?  What is everyone's volume been the last few weeks?

I'm toying with the thought of doing this as my first long tri since Leadman Vegas was shortened and rescheduled.  My training volume is pretty low right now, too, including no swimming at all for the past 4 months.  I think there's still time to get enough training in to do okay at this race.  I'm not sure what your goals are, but mine is simply to finish the thing, not worried at all about time. Take this with a grain of salt, as I have only done half IMs in the past, and never attempted a full IM.  I'm planning on 3-4 rides per week, two 1-hour sessions on my stationary during the week and an occasional 1.5 hour road ride, and one long ride on the weekend.  If I could pull off the following long ride schedule for the remaining weekends, I think it would be great.  I'd figure on missing one or two long rides due to unforeseen issues (weather, etc.), and probably substitute a shorter day on the trainer.  Anyway, I'll probably just try this for a month and see how things are going.  If my training isn't close to plan, I'll wait for another day.  Rides will all include some good climbing as I understand the course is challenging.  Maybe some with better experience can comment.

Long ride plan:

1/29: 50 mi. (~3 hours with some climbing)
2/4-5: 70
2/11-12: 90
2/18-19: 60
2/25-26: 80
3/3-4: 100
3/10-11: 70
3/17-18: 90
3/24-25: 110
3/31-4/1: 70
4/7-8: 90
4/14-15: 110
4/21-22: 80
4/28-29: 60

Edited by SevenZulu 2012-01-29 8:39 PM
2012-01-30 10:03 AM
in reply to: #4017138

User image

Regular
Logan, Utah

Little Cat,

Thanks for the clarification. I'll look for those side trails next time I'm down there.

After looking closer at the map, it appears that you don't go directly to old 91 from Pioneer Pkwy. You hit a couple of side streets first (400s) and then drop onto Old 91. I think that will put you beyond the very bumpy section of the 91 that launched my water bottle over the weekend, thank goodness.

One other thing is that Red Hills Pkwy is all tore up; Does anyone know if they plan on having that finished before the race or do they just shut down the road to vehichles. I discovered too late that there is not enough room for two-way traffic and a bicyclist (apologies to all the cars that were stuck behind me during that section of my ride Embarassed).

Edited by CodRed 2012-01-30 10:12 AM
2012-01-30 1:50 PM
in reply to: #4018436

New user
St. George

Hey CodRed, Redhills Pkwy will be complete late March. The rough section of Old 91 that you rode on is not part of the course. The section you described is to be avoided by all cyclists. As for the side trails. I live here in St. G. I ride double loops most Saturdays, raced IMSG 2011, and I'm still not sure where they have us go on those little side excursions on raceday. There is also one on the trip in from the lake before we hit the loops. I wouldn't sweat it. They were a very minor blip on a very long day. You are in and out of them in less than 2 minutes. I also thought they were well marked with lots of volunteers pointing the way and telling riders to slow down.

My opinion on the hills is this, and take it with a grain of salt. The bike course has 4 significant named hills. In order they are The Dam Hill(the climb up to the reservoir), Eagle Ranch, The Wall, and Veyo Hill. It takes me 90 seconds to climb each of the first 2, 7 minutes for the Wall, and 4 minutes for Veyo all at a slow easy pace. If I hammer away at them I can better my total hill time by less than 2 minutes.  That adds up to less than 15 minutes of climbing on each 43 mile loop which I can do in 2:15 - 2:30 depending on wind. I did 2 loops in 4:57 this past Saturday. ?I find that the false flats on this course are what really takes the toll. There are long sustained sections of 20+ minutes that are 1-2% grade that will just flat out trash your legs without you realizing it. Each of the first 3 hills are proceeded by at least 3 miles of 1-3% chip seal roads. People are giving these hills more credit than they deserve and underestimating the rest of the course. Veyo Hill is followed by a 3 mile long false flat that is far tougher than Veyo Hill itself. With the way the wind has been blowing the past 2 months I have been using the Wall as a recovery between 2 brutal false flats with head winds. Anyone who has ridden the course recently can relate.

I run a standard front with an 11-28 rear. I weigh 182. 

I hope this is helpful.

2012-01-30 1:58 PM
in reply to: #4018963

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
^ Also very well described, which is why some of the nervous talk about running compact cranks and tripple chain rings is a bit over blown unless you are a very weak cyclist.

2012-01-30 2:56 PM
in reply to: #4018983

New user
St. George
Bryan knows of what he speaks. By gearing too low you are going to out run your gearing on the fast descents which adds up to a far greater loss of time than the 10 seconds you might gain on each hill.
2012-01-30 4:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Dallas
PbMan - 2012-01-30 1:50 PM

Hey CodRed, Redhills Pkwy will be complete late March. The rough section of Old 91 that you rode on is not part of the course. The section you described is to be avoided by all cyclists. As for the side trails. I live here in St. G. I ride double loops most Saturdays, raced IMSG 2011, and I'm still not sure where they have us go on those little side excursions on raceday. There is also one on the trip in from the lake before we hit the loops. I wouldn't sweat it. They were a very minor blip on a very long day. You are in and out of them in less than 2 minutes. I also thought they were well marked with lots of volunteers pointing the way and telling riders to slow down.

My opinion on the hills is this, and take it with a grain of salt. The bike course has 4 significant named hills. In order they are The Dam Hill(the climb up to the reservoir), Eagle Ranch, The Wall, and Veyo Hill. It takes me 90 seconds to climb each of the first 2, 7 minutes for the Wall, and 4 minutes for Veyo all at a slow easy pace. If I hammer away at them I can better my total hill time by less than 2 minutes.  That adds up to less than 15 minutes of climbing on each 43 mile loop which I can do in 2:15 - 2:30 depending on wind. I did 2 loops in 4:57 this past Saturday. ?I find that the false flats on this course are what really takes the toll. There are long sustained sections of 20+ minutes that are 1-2% grade that will just flat out trash your legs without you realizing it. Each of the first 3 hills are proceeded by at least 3 miles of 1-3% chip seal roads. People are giving these hills more credit than they deserve and underestimating the rest of the course. Veyo Hill is followed by a 3 mile long false flat that is far tougher than Veyo Hill itself. With the way the wind has been blowing the past 2 months I have been using the Wall as a recovery between 2 brutal false flats with head winds. Anyone who has ridden the course recently can relate.

I hope this is helpful.

Good stuff.  Are you riding it with a road or tri bike?  What wheels do you run?  As it relates to the winds, I know they can shift, but over the 43 mile loop, can you estimate most typical head/cross/tail wind percentages?   

2012-01-30 5:08 PM
in reply to: #4019343

New user
St. George

I'm on a TT bike with ENVE 45 wheels. Will run a disc cover on rear come raceday. Great question about the wind. This time of year the wind blows out of the north. Cold and nasty. This makes it a headwind while negotiating the climbs up through Gunlock Reservoir. Gives you a tailwind up the wall, Veyo hill, and the false flats across the top before the drop into St. G. Wind will usually die as you approach town. In May the winds come out of the southwest which really has less effect on us because the only time we are headed in that direction is when we are down is St. George and it's usually fairly sheltered down there. Will encounter cross winds across the top, but usually not enough to effect speed too much. The later in the afternoon you are out, the stronger the wind. I predict a calm loop 1, with increasing wind on 2nd loop. It's the way it usually works around here and that is exactly what happened last year.

2012-01-30 8:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA

That's really solid info you all are sharing about the hills, false flats, wind, etc. It is very appreciated by folks like me who won't be able to see the course until race week. Thanks!!

I've ridden CdA and all the steep hills around my home with my stock 50-34/11-26 and I've had plenty of gear. I know every course is different, but if I understand what I'm hearing from people here, that should work fine in St. George. I will be hoping for a light wind day though.

Brad

2012-01-30 10:51 PM

User image

Regular
Logan, Utah

PBman,

Thanks for clarifying road conditions, winds, course etc. That was a TON of help. I will be down again in February a couple of times, and again in March and April. I was going to ride the St George Century, but I think I will do the ST IM course that same weekend. Do you have a group that you ride with?

2012-02-01 9:20 PM
in reply to: #4019880

User image

Veteran

PBMan is a great help. I got to ride with him for a bit a couple months ago. Strong rider... don't get 'spent' on race day trying to keep up with him Wink

I have a question while we're on it 'Pb'... I can't quite tell from the IM info, how do they have you going from the top of the Hurricane hill down to St George? Do they close off a lane on the interstate? Or (hopefully not) the super hilly bike path that parallels I-15?
I haven't figured out how they make that hop over toward SG without getting onto the freeway...

2012-02-02 11:31 AM

New user
St. George

Codred, glad to help. There is a group of us that ride the course most Saturdays. We park at the softball complex/fishing ponds on Snow Canyon Pkwy. It is located about a quarter mile past the turnoff onto 2000N. It's exactly 2 miles down from Hwy 18 on the right. Hard to miss. We always meet at 9am. Convenient stop to replenish supplies if double looping. Let me know when you'll be in town. Company always makes 86 miles go by faster.

Glenn, just past the top of the Hurricane Hill we will turn left onto Telegraph St. 2-3 miles on Telegraph and we take a right onto a road that will take us over the freeway and then onto the frontage road that takes us into St. George and over Red Hills Pkwy.

There are a couple of good threads going on over at Slowtwitch about the IMSG bike course. One on "wheels and gearing" and the other on "tri or road bike".

2012-02-02 7:41 PM
in reply to: #4025410

User image

Veteran

I'll take you guys up on the Saturday ride. Will be back in the USA in a couple weeks and plan on spending a couple weekends in St George riding since it will be snowy up in Park City area.

2012-02-02 7:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Sorry folks... it sent 3 times   :^(

Edited by gwbuild 2012-02-02 7:57 PM
2012-02-02 7:51 PM

User image

Veteran

I'll take you guys up on the Saturday ride. Will be back in the USA in a couple weeks and plan on spending a couple weekends in St George riding since it will be snowy up in Park City area.

2012-02-03 8:22 AM
in reply to: #4026577

User image

Regular
Logan, Utah

GW, 

It seems you have the life....  Mexico, Park City and able to crash a few weeks in St George.... how would it be?

Well, when you do get into St George, I'll see if I can get down there for a few days. Like PB says, company has to make 86 miles a little less painful.

Cody

2012-02-08 3:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Sorry...forgot to hit "quote." Let's try this again

Edited by jhornebx 2012-02-08 3:33 PM
2012-02-08 3:32 PM

User image

Veteran
PbMan - 2012-01-30 12:50 PM

I hope this is helpful.

PBman. Did I meet you on the bike course between Christmas and New Year's? Left my business card at the hotel for you and your wife/girlfriend to pick up? If not, sorry, wrong guy. At any rate, I agree on the description/commentary for the bike course. That day I was running a standard aero crank up front and an 11/26 in the rear (I weigh $1.30). I've thought about switching out the standard for a compact I already own and continuing to run the 26. I think it'll be fine. The 2-3 steepest sections are steep, but they go by pretty quick. I'll admit, I wasn't psyched to see the hairpin up to Veyo...but the steady decline with minimal rollers back into SG proper was nice for recovery/eating. Heading back down at the end of this month for one more go. Should I look you up when I get there PBman? -j
2012-02-08 4:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Dallas

How is everyone's training coming along?  Just about 12 weeks left until the race. 

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman St. George : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 32