BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Lynn: Manatee Madness Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 69

2011-12-29 8:39 AM
in reply to: #3959031

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Yanti & Lynn: Manatee Madness Mentor Group CLOSED

lmscozz - 2011-12-29 12:24 AM Great discussion on the bike gearing. Yep, sounds like you need a look see on the bike. As far as aero bars I'd also get a fitting with them to make sure you're in the right positioning to get the most out of them. I have a tri bike and it took a few tries to get the setup so it's comfy.

Yes!  Definitely get fitted with the aero bars!

As far as a coach, great advice and opinions from everyone. I have had a good friend of mine coach me and it worked pretty well. Sometimes having a good friend can go either way. Positives are that they know you...negative is that they may be soft because of it. It takes a special person to coach and to coach a friend with an objective eye. Thankfully, this coach/friend of mine was very good at hand holding and she is a great cheerleader. I'm going with a different guy this time because she's given up coaching.Jo's right about interviewing them and getting what you want. Remember you're the client and you should get what you want and need. I do know that prices are all over the place. I selected one that's kind of middle of the road. Some can be upwards of $500 a month.

Think about what you want from a coach.  I have a coach and she helps me with picking events (in terms of timing) and preparing for them.  I use her training plan and we talk on the phone and email (mostly email) but we rarely meet in person.  This has worked out well for me.  It keeps me on track and I am always prepared for my events.  Before I had a coach, I could complete the events and was dead afterwards.  Now I am prepared enough to enjoy the events and I recover quickly.  My husband says that I'm easier to live with now too!

I want to share pics of my fur people too but I need to do some file arranging and sharing etc. So I've heard of spotify. Do you all who use it love it? Did you pay. Or just do the free part? I'll go read about it.

I like Spotify and I listen to it at work sometimes -- I listen to podcasts in the background at work at lot too.  I use the free part.  If I run out of time (they give you a certain number of hours a month for free), I would consider paying for it.  They do have ads on the free part but they don't bother me.

2011-12-29 8:45 AM
in reply to: #3958383

User image

Melon Presser
kgore - 2011-12-29 5:35 AM

Hey all! I am planning to do a small run tonight--just two miles or so...My running base is somewhat pathetic. I have 'done' a 10k --but there was a lot of walking involved--my time for that ended up being 1hr 15 min. Don't get me wrong, I was actually quite happy with that time! In any case, my average pace is 11-12 min/mile...I would like to get to a 9-10 min/mile. So should I just RUN more, or sprint occasionally, aim for mileage, or aim for speed, or just increase time on the run? I will be getting coached starting in January, but I like to hear all types of ideas to better formulate my chosen plans.

Also, I just recently acquired new aerobars/handlebars (through BT, no less!)--I need to get gear switches for the bars, but apart from that, they are ready to go--question is, I have a lower level road bike (Trek 1.1, 2010)---is it even worth attaching the bars to it? I already know that I will need to upgrade  the crankset/gears (??? sorry my bike lingo kinda sucks)--as I can only get the bike to go so fast--I can get it to 15mph regularly, but even on the heaviest gear, I am spinning so much that I am 'bouncing' so I don't get much more speed than that! So, fellow manatees, should I work on upgrading what I have or just start saving towards an all around better bike?

Thanks!Smile

The key to improvement in running speed is VOLUME. Run more, more often. The recommendation from gurus (and everyone who's tried it) is if you really want to improve running, you need to be running 5-7x/week. What you do is take the total weekly volume you are currently doing and break that up into, say, 5 runs. Then you keep adding a little more a week (occasionally incorporating a pull-back week with lower volume).

And it doesn't matter what speed (at first) ... and that'll be self-limiting, since the faster you go, the less you can run, and the more recovery time you need. It's fine, and I'd say even good, to incorporate periodic higher efforts--say, run up a hill or every so often, go faster for 5-10s. Or at the end of a longer run, do the last mile at race pace (for the race you're training for. Not a shorter one).

Most of the running should be done easy (the "hold a conversation" pace). A general guide is that when you're finished with a run, you could turn around and do it again. (Not necessarily long runs, but those you should still be able to easily go, say, a couple miles more).

The longer version and full explanations of all of that is right here:

***REQUIRED READING FOR EVERYONE BELOW

http://thoughtsofrandomme.blogspot.com/2011/09/my-philosophy-of-running.html

Details on how to get faster in running written by BT's (and several other forums) Scout7, who knows more about running than anyone on this forum (and most other forums, and most coaches).

2011-12-29 8:47 AM
in reply to: #3958383

User image

Melon Presser

Hey all! I am planning to do a small run tonight--just two miles or so...My running base is somewhat pathetic. I have 'done' a 10k --but there was a lot of walking involved--my time for that ended up being 1hr 15 min. Don't get me wrong, I was actually quite happy with that time! In any case, my average pace is 11-12 min/mile...I would like to get to a 9-10 min/mile. So should I just RUN more, or sprint occasionally, aim for mileage, or aim for speed, or just increase time on the run? I will be getting coached starting in January, but I like to hear all types of ideas to better formulate my chosen plans.

Also, I just recently acquired new aerobars/handlebars (through BT, no less!)--I need to get gear switches for the bars, but apart from that, they are ready to go--question is, I have a lower level road bike (Trek 1.1, 2010)---is it even worth attaching the bars to it? I already know that I will need to upgrade  the crankset/gears (??? sorry my bike lingo kinda sucks)--as I can only get the bike to go so fast--I can get it to 15mph regularly, but even on the heaviest gear, I am spinning so much that I am 'bouncing' so I don't get much more speed than that! So, fellow manatees, should I work on upgrading what I have or just start saving towards an all around better bike?

Thanks!Smile

I second what everyone else said about taking the bike into a bike shop to adjust the gearing. They can and should fix that.

What kind of aerobars/handlebars?

2011-12-29 8:52 AM
in reply to: #3958711

User image

Melon Presser
NEdaynow - 2011-12-29 9:13 AM

I have no workout plan.  I have no workout goals.  I generally abhor both (not really, but abhor is kind of a cool word).  I have a list of things that I might like to try one day and I usually, spontaneously, decide to do them.  Obviously, there's a benefit to both goals and planning but I find that it takes much of the enjoyment away and becomes another stressor (instead of stress reliever).

I love this.

As you said, some people really benefit from the structure (including me, depending on if and what kind of goal), but I will say some of the happiest times are when I just go S/B/R for fun. Whatever, whenever I feel like.

2011-12-29 8:56 AM
in reply to: #3958736

User image

Melon Presser
wagonnatri - 2011-12-29 9:29 AM

Good evening all,

Sideways rain and wind here in WA last night and today, ick. Here is what my week looks like. 

Monday - Rest

Tuesday - 60 minute Spinning Class my thighs are still burning from this class," I will learn to love riding a freakin' bike if it kills me" (my mantra throughout the class).  I am learning a lot of new biking/spinning jargon in these classes.

Wednesday - 90 minutes swimming laps at the Y with the master swimmers, I am in the newbie lane. 

Thursday - 4-5 mile run followed by a 15 minute walk cool down.

Friday - If my legs are up to it 30 and run followed by 30 minute or more light swim or spinn bike. Up in the air still.

Saturday - 5-6 mile run with my Saturday morning running group.

Sunday - 60 minute a.m. Spinning Class follwed by a p.m. River Fitness Class.

Off to get ready for swim class.  Have a great night and a great Thursday!

Chris

??? Training blog can someone please explain how to use this and what we will be using this for?

Busy girl!

Training blog = same as training log here on BT. You're already using yours.

I, too, want to know what a river fitness class is.

As far as indoor cycling goes, I think it's great (I'm terribly biased). For safety and optimal fitness reasons, don't do anything on an indoor bike that you wouldn't on an outdoor bike. (Not tons of time out of the saddle, not super-low resistance with super-high cadence, etc.)

Make sure you're recovering adequately between workouts--if soreness/fatigue interferes with your next planned workout, dial it back a bit.

2011-12-29 9:03 AM
in reply to: #3942879

User image

Coastal Carolina

overtime job and buying a jeep got in the way of training yesterday so hope to get the 15 miler in once it warms up, 40s is cold for us here in SC, and I think it is time that I upgraded to the silver membership since I spend all my free time here anyways so I will probably use the plan here for the HIM.  Also required puppy photo:

2011-12-29 9:05 AM
in reply to: #3958779

User image

Melon Presser
srichards428 - 2011-12-29 9:56 AM
Zelda-Riffic - 2011-12-28 7:50 PM

Today turned out to be a rest day.  Between a long work day and a marathon hair color appointment I have nothing left to give.  My hair looks fantastic, though!

SRichards, I like having a coach.  It helps me to know I'm accountable to someone and to have my workouts planned.  The downside, at least in my experience, was my coach couldn't "see" that I was being seriously overtrained.  I'm trying a few weeks of an online tri coach now and I'm considering switching to a local coach I just found out about.

Zelda-Riffic   

The coach I will be looking at is somewhat local.  He lives about 60 miles from me and I'm always over in the area that he lives.  So, I'm thinking I'm gonna hire him, but not sure of what advantages there is in hire a coach.  I know that we have already talked about a nutrition plan for training/racing.  I'm concerned about the nutrionb part of training and racing.   I dont want to be the guy that BONKED...lol.

You've gotten a lot of good advice and questions to ask yourself and your coach from the other Manatees.

Also, what are your weaknesses/limiters in triathlon? Does the coach have the necessary experience/skills to address those? For example, if it's swimming, you'll want a coach who is a killer swim coach (doesn't have to be a killer swimmer) and use your in-person sessions for that.

USAT certification means very little. It can be a plus, but not having it is not a minus. The main points are do you gel with the coach and does he have the necessary experience coaching (not education or certifications) to get you where you want to go?

Nutrition's good too. I will say, though, for a HIM and if you're not in the 7-9 hour finishing range, if you bonk, it wasn't because you screwed up your nutrition (unless you ate giant burritos for breakfast washed down with whole milk and then absolutely nothing during the race. Don't laugh. I've seen it.)

2011-12-29 9:10 AM
in reply to: #3958746

User image

Melon Presser

wushunut - 2011-12-29 9:33 AM Back in the saddle again...er..pool.  Wife came home early to give me time to get a work-out in.  Ended up taking the opprotunity to head to the pool which was nice after a long break.  100yd warm-up, 500 yds with the forearm fulcrum, then 30minutes of just straight swimming (1600yds).  Feeling pretty good but I'm hungry!  I'm kinda still amazed that back in February I was just taking my first swim lesson.  I always feel pumped up after swimming because of that realization.

Truly amazing. Congratulations on all the good work!

Swimming makes me want to wolf food like nothing else.

2011-12-29 9:13 AM
in reply to: #3958774

User image

Melon Presser
jtaddei - 2011-12-29 9:53 AM
jmkizer - 2011-12-28 6:28 PM

jtaddei - Spotify.  Yes, I use it, same handle as here.  I haven't done much with training playlists there though.  Here's one that they play in spin class. (http://go.ncsu.edu/lwxw3f) It took me days to find it! 

Jmkizer: Same for me, same username as on here.  I like that you can "spotify mail" share playlists.  I'll take a look at your tastes and see if I have anything to share.  I'm always up for new workout music.

As for tonight's workout, i'm hoping 30 minutes on the trainer are a possibility.  That couch is looking awfully comfy and I had some great pizza for dinner  I reallllllly need to work on my nutrition.  When i'm in the swing of things I love love LOVE working out, the more it hurts the better - but when it comes to dieting i'm a complete wuss.  I love my soda, my carbs, my sweets, and my PIZZA!

If I can go this training season with more wilpower on the diet and maintain a regular workout i'm sure i'll be beating my weight goals in no time.  But alas - i'm incredibly weak at dieting.

edit:: Posted a bunch of "chunky" pictures (read: current) of me. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?albumid=16231  I need tough love.

I think you look fantastic. Of course, I do have a thing for redheads ... in fact, I won't co-mentor with anyone who isn't a sizzling redhead.

As for tough love ... it's possible to look even better than you already do, and best of all, you'd be getting more healthy, for the long-term.

2011-12-29 9:17 AM
in reply to: #3958802

User image

Melon Presser
jogo - 2011-12-29 10:11 AM

Big Sur is a stretch goal.  I am now really doubting that I am capable of that goal.  It really sucks for me to have invested a 3 month minimum for coaching when I may change that goal. 

I've been thinking about this. I really feel for you. I've also under different circumstances had to bail on four IMs (all at least halfway through training).

I'm now facing my 5th IM that I'm paid up for and no matter what I do from here on out, I'm undertrained and it's going to be a long shot and a long day.

What I'm doing is just enjoying the training, and I'm looking upon the race itself as a journey as well instead of a goal. I'm just going to go out there and have as much fun as I can, and revel in the experience no matter what happens. And enjoy a really cool vacation in Melbourne!

2011-12-29 9:28 AM
in reply to: #3958991

User image

Melon Presser
jimmyb - 2011-12-29 12:35 PM

I have the weirdest workout schedule.  I've been up since 615 am and now just finished tonight's run (11pm).  Felt good though but these long days at the hospital can be taxing.  Back to work in the am.  Have a full day of rounding and teaching of residents, PA's, med students.  I do love my job and can never see myself doing anything else.

Today, I have embarked on a journey I have NEVER thought I would do.  I spoke to a dietician and she told me about an app called "my training pal".  It's free and it is so easy to use to track calories in what I eat.  According to today's results, I am at a -1400 calorie balance (after running).  I am 6'1" and 204 pounds.  Would like to get back to 180 pounds.  I've been told that losing weight can in a sense be "free speed" if done correctly.  Despite everyone telling me how thin I look, I am obese by the BMI charts posted all over the hospital on every patient room in the chart rack.  I see this everyday.  I do question its validity as I don't believe it takes muscle mass into as much consideration. Any experts out there?

Anyhow, I've enjoyed reading the posts.  I don't have a tri coach.  I do have a swim coach now.  I use the mentor groups for motivation and accountability.  I'm pretty good at sticking to plans, although I often have to make modifications depending on work, family, etc.  I often think it would be a great experience to take 6 months off from work, hire a coach, and see what I may be capable of doing.  Just not practical for me at this time in my life. Sealed

I've done a lot of time in hospitals and med facilities (as a professional--well, actually as a patient too) and I both really envy and also do not envy you!

Have you had any metabolic testing done? Calories in/out estimation is pretty much a crapshoot otherwise.

BMI's a measurement based on statistics and was designed to study populations. It was never intended to be an individual diagnostic, especially if the individual falls out of the norm in any way. You being a fit individual with training under your belt makes you fall outside the norm.

Unless your body fat percentage is so low as to compromise your health, you're fine. Keep losing weight (I think of it more in terms of gaining health) as long as you feel fine and aren't overtraining or seriously under-calorie'ing. It's definitely free speed.

2011-12-29 9:31 AM
in reply to: #3959520

User image

Melon Presser
Tripopo - 2011-12-29 11:03 PM

overtime job and buying a jeep got in the way of training yesterday so hope to get the 15 miler in once it warms up, 40s is cold for us here in SC, and I think it is time that I upgraded to the silver membership since I spend all my free time here anyways so I will probably use the plan here for the HIM.  Also required puppy photo:

You got a new jeep? Cool!

I think the BT memberships are the absolute best tri return-on-investment in the universe.

I am missing your puppy photo. Please add.

2011-12-29 10:16 AM

User image

Master

Wow, everyone is up and chatting this morning.  There was a whole page added as I was finishing up reading yesterday evening's posts.

I woke up to great number on the scale this morning.  I've officially lost 10 lbs since December 2nd.  My initial goal was to cut out sweets and fried foods, but this weightloss is awesome!

Also, the weather is sunny with a high of 60, so I get to ride for the next 2 or 3 days.  WooHoo!!!!

2011-12-29 10:19 AM
in reply to: #3959779

User image

Melon Presser
crews - 2011-12-30 12:16 AM

Wow, everyone is up and chatting this morning.  There was a whole page added as I was finishing up reading yesterday evening's posts.

I woke up to great number on the scale this morning.  I've officially lost 10 lbs since December 2nd.  My initial goal was to cut out sweets and fried foods, but this weightloss is awesome!

Also, the weather is sunny with a high of 60, so I get to ride for the next 2 or 3 days.  WooHoo!!!!

Super congratulations! And talk about great motivation to keep staying healthy and training.

2011-12-29 10:56 AM
in reply to: #3959450

User image

Seattle
TriAya - 2011-12-29 8:45 AM

Details on how to get faster in running written by BT's (and several other forums) Scout7, who knows more about running than anyone on this forum (and most other forums, and most coaches).

I can't stress how REQUIRED this reading is! It's so straight forward and so simple. Just how running should be. 

2011-12-29 10:58 AM
in reply to: #3959897

User image

Melon Presser
Asalzwed - 2011-12-30 12:56 AM

I can't stress how REQUIRED this reading is! It's so straight forward and so simple. Just how running should be. 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

this from the sizzlin' redhead-ish girl who Boston-Qualified her first marathon training with no watch

I mean, if I say something about running, who cares, really, but Scout's the word and Adrienne is the proof of the pudding.

2011-12-29 11:53 AM
in reply to: #3959902

User image

Seattle
TriAya - 2011-12-29 10:58 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

this from the sizzlin' redhead-ish girl who Boston-Qualified her first marathon training with no watch

I mean, if I say something about running, who cares, really, but Scout's the word and Adrienne is the proof of the pudding.

Ohhhhh sccchtop, I am blushing Embarassed I DO LOVE pudding 

2011-12-29 12:09 PM
in reply to: #3960036

User image

Melon Presser
Asalzwed - 2011-12-30 1:53 AM
TriAya - 2011-12-29 10:58 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ohhhhh sccchtop, I am blushing Embarassed I DO LOVE pudding 

Honey, you ARE puddin'.

2011-12-29 12:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK

Hi all, sorry I've been MIA recently. I've been away with my family so only picking up messages remotely. I should be back a bit more now. I've been managing bits of training here are there, planning my training for the first three months tomorrow and Sat then I'll really get stuck in!

Hope you're all well. 

2011-12-29 12:26 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Ok, lets see if this actually worked.  Here is my guy. The second picture is his normal look

Did a 4 mile run this morning; hope to get 4-5 tomorrow - we'll see how I feel after the football game tonight!

Ann-Marie

2011-12-29 12:33 PM
in reply to: #3960104

User image

Melon Presser
Kate_r - 2011-12-30 2:22 AM

Hi all, sorry I've been MIA recently. I've been away with my family so only picking up messages remotely. I should be back a bit more now. I've been managing bits of training here are there, planning my training for the first three months tomorrow and Sat then I'll really get stuck in!

Hope you're all well. 

DON'T FEEL AS IF YOU MUST KEEP UP OR POST ALL THE TIME.

I just wanted everybody to note that. I love it that this is a very active, chatty group--a Manatee dream, and by all means everyone should post questions, info, pet pics, etc. as much as they like. But I don't want anybody to feel left out because they can't be involved all the time.

2011-12-29 12:34 PM
in reply to: #3960115

User image

Melon Presser
amd723 - 2011-12-30 2:26 AM

Ok, lets see if this actually worked.  Here is my guy. The second picture is his normal look

Did a 4 mile run this morning; hope to get 4-5 tomorrow - we'll see how I feel after the football game tonight!

Ann-Marie

BIG FLUFFY PUPPY! What a beautiful boy.

Great job on the running and enjoy the game.

2011-12-29 1:12 PM

User image

Seattle

Alright, the details on Ragnar Miami:

We will be running 200 miles relay-style with an 11 person team. We each end up running between 15-30 miles depending on which legs you take. I will be running closer to 30 (but not all at once)

We start in Miami and end in Key West

It's a non stop run over 2 days so more difficult than the mileage will be the sleep deprivation Smile

When you are not running you are in 1 of the 2 team vans cheering on your runner

Edited by Asalzwed 2011-12-29 1:13 PM
2011-12-29 2:21 PM
in reply to: #3958991

User image

Seattle
jimmyb - 2011-12-28 10:35 PM

I have the weirdest workout schedule.  I've been up since 615 am and now just finished tonight's run (11pm).  Felt good though but these long days at the hospital can be taxing.  Back to work in the am.  Have a full day of rounding and teaching of residents, PA's, med students.  I do love my job and can never see myself doing anything else.

Today, I have embarked on a journey I have NEVER thought I would do.  I spoke to a dietician and she told me about an app called "my training pal".  It's free and it is so easy to use to track calories in what I eat.  According to today's results, I am at a -1400 calorie balance (after running).  I am 6'1" and 204 pounds.  Would like to get back to 180 pounds.  I've been told that losing weight can in a sense be "free speed" if done correctly.  Despite everyone telling me how thin I look, I am obese by the BMI charts posted all over the hospital on every patient room in the chart rack.  I see this everyday.  I do question its validity as I don't believe it takes muscle mass into as much consideration. Any experts out there?

Anyhow, I've enjoyed reading the posts.  I don't have a tri coach.  I do have a swim coach now.  I use the mentor groups for motivation and accountability.  I'm pretty good at sticking to plans, although I often have to make modifications depending on work, family, etc.  I often think it would be a great experience to take 6 months off from work, hire a coach, and see what I may be capable of doing.  Just not practical for me at this time in my life. Sealed

Everything Yanti said (that is a given) I would also recommend you reading Matt Fitzgerald's Racing Weight

Losing weight ABSOLUTELY means free speed. Unless, of course, you do it in an unhealthy way. This even includes muscle mass, to a degree. I went on a journey of my own about a year ago. I focused on decreasing my body fat % It has helped immensely. I did this through getting a handle on what I ate and drank as well as the quality of my workouts

Edited by Asalzwed 2011-12-29 2:29 PM
2011-12-29 2:22 PM
in reply to: #3959460

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

Thanks for the running article--I have to wait til tonight to read it--for some reason, they aren't keen on me reading tri stuff online while at work! Undecided 

The aerobars are Profile Split Second AL, and the handle bar I got is a Syntace Bullhorn 26.0; Sorta funny, my husband came home from work yesterday and took a look at them and was almost drooling. While he isn't really considering getting into tris, he does like a good bike! If I keep getting better looking gear, he might actually join me! Although he has already expressed interest in doing the Down n Dirty mudrun w/me next year---its a 1st step....

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Yanti & Lynn: Manatee Madness Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 69