BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tony's Xterra & Short Course Tri Group - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2013-02-16 2:34 PM
in reply to: #4625046

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Tony's Xterra & Short Course Tri Group - OPEN

Good work everyone! Lots of good numbers!

My week has been good, its been busy so tough to fit training in. I did a strength training workout to kick the week off. Doing bulgarian split squats killed my glutes and they are stil sore, lol.

I did a bike-run brick at a lower intensity to keep building my base. Did about 1 hr on the bike followed by a 20min run at a good pace. Had to stop there as my muscles were super fatigued from the strength session.

The following day I had an awesome workout at the pool. So far my best workout of the training season! Worked a lot on my drills and then did a 10x50m main set with flip turns. It was great and I am seeing a lot of improvement.

Yesterday I did a little over 5miles running with my dog in the snow, it was a great workout, not fast as I am still keeping things in the aerobic zone.

This morning I was on the bike again doing a technique set with a few power drills as well. Only a 50min workout but sure worked my but off!

Tomorrow its back to the pool for some laps and then resting on monday. A good week! Since I am going on a trip to look for a new home in 2 weeks. Next week I will do base 1 again, followed by my trip where recovery will be the focus, then the following week I begin base 2.

CHIMO!

2013-02-17 3:38 PM
in reply to: #4543641

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL

Nice work Sebastian! You've got a good plan coming along. Stick to it! Good luck looking for the new home soon!

I had a longer run on the schedule today, but I'm ahead of schedule so I cut it back due to wanting to spend more time with some unexpected visitors. 15.5 miles. I just went out and ran at a pace that was comfortable for me. When I got home and put the route and time into the log, turned out that it was a very solid run. Didn't ever feel like I was pushing myself until the end, which is normal. Set up a little bit firmer plan for running to get me to my marathon in May as well. 

This week is a build week for running. Key workouts this week are med-long run on Thursday (11 mi), long swim Friday (3000 m), long run Saturday (18 mi). Other workouts thrown in as well.

Tomorrow is recovery from my run today with an easy 40 min spin and easy 30 min swim. 

Good luck this week everyone!

2013-02-19 8:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL

Changed things up a bit...with the super nice weather we had yesterday, I went for a wet, muddy, sloppy run on a forest preserve limestone path. Not far and not fast.

Also...got my new bike yesterday. Pics coming...I got a Felt Z75X. Ended up getting a cyclocross bike because it felt nice riding around and versatility. I have a pretty long uninterrupted limestone bike path not far from here and I could tear that up with the CX bike. Also, it's not hard to change over to a strictly road ride. The only reservation I had was the gearing. It's not as tall as I would have hoped, but I'm still very pleased with it.

2013-02-22 9:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL

10 miler after work yesterday. Next week that's jumping up a bit. Made a serious focus to not skip any runs. This is key time and I need the running experience to have a good marathon. Also got a deal on a used trainer that should arrive next week so I can use the bike for some AM workouts. Awesome.

Race strategy question. My marathon is May 4, a Saturday (Wisconsin Marathon, Kenosha, WI). 4 weeks before that (April 7, Sunday) I have an 8k (Chicago Shamrock Shuffle). The week before that is my half marathon (March 30, Eggshell Shuffle in Schaumburg). Seeing as how my marathon is my priority, what would your race strategy be for the other two races? My current thinking is to race the HM, but not all out (aim for a 1:30-1:35). The 8k isn't very important to me. Someone from work asked me to do it and I said yes. Probably treat that as a tempo run for the AM, then follow up with a 10-12 miler in the afternoon. That will leave me with 4 weeks to get another long run or two before the marathon and still taper well. It's the 8k that makes me a little nervous. Ideas? What do you guys think?

Of course...there's Xterra Last Stand two weeks after the marathon...which will be for fun and just to finish.

2013-02-22 9:30 AM
in reply to: #4633025

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
The Chupacabra - 2013-02-22 9:21 AM

10 miler after work yesterday. Next week that's jumping up a bit. Made a serious focus to not skip any runs. This is key time and I need the running experience to have a good marathon. Also got a deal on a used trainer that should arrive next week so I can use the bike for some AM workouts. Awesome.

Race strategy question. My marathon is May 4, a Saturday (Wisconsin Marathon, Kenosha, WI). 4 weeks before that (April 7, Sunday) I have an 8k (Chicago Shamrock Shuffle). The week before that is my half marathon (March 30, Eggshell Shuffle in Schaumburg). Seeing as how my marathon is my priority, what would your race strategy be for the other two races? My current thinking is to race the HM, but not all out (aim for a 1:30-1:35). The 8k isn't very important to me. Someone from work asked me to do it and I said yes. Probably treat that as a tempo run for the AM, then follow up with a 10-12 miler in the afternoon. That will leave me with 4 weeks to get another long run or two before the marathon and still taper well. It's the 8k that makes me a little nervous. Ideas? What do you guys think?

Of course...there's Xterra Last Stand two weeks after the marathon...which will be for fun and just to finish.

With the HM the week before I think you're going to feel a little different about racing it by the time you get to peak training.  If you train right for the marathon, your last 2 long runs will be VERY difficult!  You'll probably peak at 20+ miles a week or 2 before that.  Then, winding down, you'll have a couple of shorter long runs (I suspect you're using the HM for one of these)  I've done marathon plans 3x now and everytime those last couple long runs are brutal.  You'll still be recovering from the 20+.  And you should be recovering!  It wasn't until the morning of the race I felt good enough to run my full potential again.  I would count on just jogging that HM.

2013-02-22 9:40 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
I made it through Hell weeks!  We had several weeks of high volume training lately.  Very tough to get through and committ the time!  Tony has me on track nicely though.  Even though we were only doing base mile training and on the diet my FTP went up slightly already.  I hit 247watts even being on the diet!  When I went into this season I had a goal (or pipedream! lol) in back of my head of getting down to 160lbs and bumping my FTP above 260.  I think there might be a possibility of getting above 260 in the build phase coming next, and I'm only 5-6lbs from 160!  I'd like to re-adjust and try to get to 3.75+ pwr/weight ratio, but maybe getting ahead of myself there! 

2013-02-22 10:33 AM
in reply to: #4633041

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
Meulen - 2013-02-22 9:30 AM
The Chupacabra - 2013-02-22 9:21 AM

With the HM the week before I think you're going to feel a little different about racing it by the time you get to peak training.  If you train right for the marathon, your last 2 long runs will be VERY difficult!  You'll probably peak at 20+ miles a week or 2 before that.  Then, winding down, you'll have a couple of shorter long runs (I suspect you're using the HM for one of these)  I've done marathon plans 3x now and everytime those last couple long runs are brutal.  You'll still be recovering from the 20+.  And you should be recovering!  It wasn't until the morning of the race I felt good enough to run my full potential again.  I would count on just jogging that HM.

Thanks for that perspective...I didn't think about being tired from those longer runs. I think I might just have to take that HM at a comfortable training pace...Thanks!

2013-02-23 3:19 PM

User image

New user

Well another week down, I was sick for a bit there so only did 3 workouts this week. Did one swim, one bike, and one run. All at the aerobic level as Im still in the base build phase. Flying out east tonight for my house hunting trip. Gonna use the week for active recovery and relaxation to get ready for base 2 build where Ill be getting into muscular endurance workouts. I am glad to be healthy again, hopefully the jet lag doesn't hit me too hard. Wishing you all a great weekend and a great week! Cheers!

CHIMO

2013-02-23 3:42 PM
in reply to: #4633054

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois

Meulen - 2013-02-22 9:40 AM I made it through Hell weeks!  We had several weeks of high volume training lately.  Very tough to get through and committ the time!  Tony has me on track nicely though.  Even though we were only doing base mile training and on the diet my FTP went up slightly already.  I hit 247watts even being on the diet!  When I went into this season I had a goal (or pipedream! lol) in back of my head of getting down to 160lbs and bumping my FTP above 260.  I think there might be a possibility of getting above 260 in the build phase coming next, and I'm only 5-6lbs from 160!  I'd like to re-adjust and try to get to 3.75+ pwr/weight ratio, but maybe getting ahead of myself there! 

I think by the end of the season you'll be above 260 and 3.75.  If we can only get you from complaining so much...  

2013-02-23 3:47 PM
in reply to: #4634391

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
seb_w - 2013-02-23 3:19 PM

Well another week down, I was sick for a bit there so only did 3 workouts this week. Did one swim, one bike, and one run. All at the aerobic level as Im still in the base build phase. Flying out east tonight for my house hunting trip. Gonna use the week for active recovery and relaxation to get ready for base 2 build where Ill be getting into muscular endurance workouts. I am glad to be healthy again, hopefully the jet lag doesn't hit me too hard. Wishing you all a great weekend and a great week! Cheers!

CHIMO

Have a good trip!  Take your running shoes and keep some of the endurance work going go you don't lose much while your out of town!  Good luck with the househunting! 

2013-02-24 9:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois

How's everyone's weekend going?!  Any racing happening out there? 

This week has been tough.  A lot of work: a couple of bike fits, athletes starting their racing season, finishing up plans for the camp, trying to train and a couple of sick dogs.  

It's been crazy!  I think Brian is going to rip my legs off in the camp, but when he does I'll let him buy me a beer!  

2013-02-24 10:14 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Finally quit planning and talking about the basement project and got to work! Got in a 30 min Run TT yesterday after working on ht e basement. Didn't go "all" out cuz I was a little nervous how my foot would react. Managed to keep it somewhere around sub 6:45/mile I think, I'll have to check the data. This morning the foot was a little sore but stretching and mobility exercises took the pain out it. That gave me a little hope for the season. I thought I was going to have to have a conversation with Tony this morning about cutting races and going back into rehab mode. Not today! taking the wife out to breakfast this morning. Might work on the basement some if I can, but main plan is to get 2 1/2 hours of climbing in on the trainer. Feeling pretty tired and sore today from the TT and working on the basement. Hopefully get loosened up some by the time I get on the bike.
2013-02-24 5:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL

No races until March 30. Thought about looking for a smaller 5k or 10k, but never got around to it. 

Ordered a used trainer that should be arriving this week. I'm excited for that. I've been looking forward to biking without dealing with the cold, icy, snowy outside. Can't wait to get the new bike out!

Speaking of cold, snowy, icy weather, the weather has been messing with training I've been able to do for the marathon. I've had to cut a few runs short or drop a bike/swim to get the runs in. Right when I'm nearing the peak of training. No problem. I've gotten most of them and am feeling pretty good. Today I added a small (I thought) detour to my long run and ended up accidentally getting a much longer run. The detour ended up being 1.25 miles and it was an out-and-back style run. The actual run was tough, but I'm feeling pretty good.

Happy training all! Good luck this week getting everything in!

2013-02-24 6:19 PM

New user

Tony, rob here in Canada, just signed on to site this past week decided to try a sprint tri this summer in July, it will be my first. Turning 50 this year, have had chronic back problems most of my life, maybe from playing hockey and not doing enough core exercises. Started getting in better shape about 1 1/2 yrs ago, was a swimmer when I was young so started there. Swim is easy for me, running is my problem. Have got up to 3 miles on a treadmill getting easier but I sweat a lot and have to work at it. Would like to join your group. What do I need to do
2013-02-26 2:33 PM
in reply to: #4635178

New user

Hi tony not sure if this is working no reply from you
2013-02-26 2:39 PM
in reply to: #4637848

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois

Hey Rob, it's working!  Sorry for the delay. 

Welcome to the group! 

Nothing special you need to join; just feel free to chime in and get the conversation going with us! 

Whats up with your back?  Hopefully all is well and you can past your first race pain free.  After that you'll be hooked!  

2013-02-28 4:26 PM

New user

Did it again last shift of hockey, lower back gets tweaked, end of sore, stiff next day. Not as bad as in the past, bounce ask is better, played hockey last night again, skated well no issues, but sore again this morning. Just getting ready to hit the pool for a swim, then either rime ride or walk/ jog on the treadmill. Will take this first month slow and keep trying to build up stamina, strength so I don't get injured. Still very excited about doing this. I do get tired though, bummer getting old. Need to make sure my nutrition is balanced, don't always eat properly, any advice would sure be appreciated. Thanks rob
2013-02-28 6:43 PM
in reply to: #4641044

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois

Sorry to hear about your back!  Just take it easy and slow.  Its really important to focus on the other stuff and not just swim/bike/run right now to recoup.  The sooner you do that, the sooner you can properly get back into full tri-training. 

Stretching, mobility work, core strengthening - that's where you need to focus. 

2013-02-28 6:44 PM
in reply to: #4641044

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL

Robpest - 2013-02-28 4:26 PM Did it again last shift of hockey, lower back gets tweaked, end of sore, stiff next day. Not as bad as in the past, bounce ask is better, played hockey last night again, skated well no issues, but sore again this morning. Just getting ready to hit the pool for a swim, then either rime ride or walk/ jog on the treadmill. Will take this first month slow and keep trying to build up stamina, strength so I don't get injured. Still very excited about doing this. I do get tired though, bummer getting old. Need to make sure my nutrition is balanced, don't always eat properly, any advice would sure be appreciated. Thanks rob

I can tell you what nutrition works for me, but it depends on your goals nutritionally and what you want. For example, weight loss isn't a goal of mine so I don't consider that when choosing what to eat. I try to make a routine and eat similar things at similar times during the day. I make some high-protein waffles every 2 weeks and have 2 with peanut butter for breakfast each day. Then a snack of a fruit and a veggie with hummus (sometimes pretzels too) around 10:30. Lunch around 12:30 of sandwich, something crunchy and salty, and some carb with some protein (usually plant-based protein). Pre-workout snack at 3:00ish, recovery snack after, dinner which varies, and a snack before bed. It's a routine and keep it simple. Don't keep those vice foods around the house (mine is microwave Pizza Puffs...those things are delicious). 

Had a regular swim today. Run of 5-8 miles in the AM and another regular swim in the PM before Saturday's long run. Good luck everyone! 

P.S. - I know I've been talking about trainers a lot. I got a used Cycleops Fluid something off of Craigslist for $105 and set it up tonight. As soon as I get my camera back from work, my bike corner is coming up here. Thanks for all the thoughts on that, guys!

2013-03-01 12:37 PM
in reply to: #4641180

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
The Chupacabra - 2013-02-28 6:44 PM

Robpest - 2013-02-28 4:26 PM Did it again last shift of hockey, lower back gets tweaked, end of sore, stiff next day. Not as bad as in the past, bounce ask is better, played hockey last night again, skated well no issues, but sore again this morning. Just getting ready to hit the pool for a swim, then either rime ride or walk/ jog on the treadmill. Will take this first month slow and keep trying to build up stamina, strength so I don't get injured. Still very excited about doing this. I do get tired though, bummer getting old. Need to make sure my nutrition is balanced, don't always eat properly, any advice would sure be appreciated. Thanks rob

I can tell you what nutrition works for me, but it depends on your goals nutritionally and what you want. For example, weight loss isn't a goal of mine so I don't consider that when choosing what to eat. I try to make a routine and eat similar things at similar times during the day. I make some high-protein waffles every 2 weeks and have 2 with peanut butter for breakfast each day. Then a snack of a fruit and a veggie with hummus (sometimes pretzels too) around 10:30. Lunch around 12:30 of sandwich, something crunchy and salty, and some carb with some protein (usually plant-based protein). Pre-workout snack at 3:00ish, recovery snack after, dinner which varies, and a snack before bed. It's a routine and keep it simple. Don't keep those vice foods around the house (mine is microwave Pizza Puffs...those things are delicious). 

Had a regular swim today. Run of 5-8 miles in the AM and another regular swim in the PM before Saturday's long run. Good luck everyone! 

P.S. - I know I've been talking about trainers a lot. I got a used Cycleops Fluid something off of Craigslist for $105 and set it up tonight. As soon as I get my camera back from work, my bike corner is coming up here. Thanks for all the thoughts on that, guys!

congrats on the trainer! 

I had a great week so far. Tony analyzed last weekends run TT on Training Peaks and said I made new threshold values on it.  Not sure how that happened with the limited run volume...but hey!  

Take that Plantar Fasciitis!!!!

Last night at masters we did some races.  I wasn't expecting much because I've gone off the blocks a total of 3x in my life! lol  I ended up putting down a solid 1:14 100' in my race.  Definitely not the fastest as there were guys sub 1:00 in my masters group.  But they were pure swimmers and race competitively.  I was right up there with the faster triathlon guys with my time.  It was the first time I've ever clocked 100' so I'm sure if I did it more and tweaked my entry and flip turns to be more efficient I could shave a good amount of time off of that even.  But no need since I'm a triathlete!

2013-03-02 8:48 AM

User image

Master
Hey, guys! I've been scarce, I've been so tired!

Training's been going well. Everyone planning to do Xterra is scrambling to get some MTB time. Been out there myself a few times already gaining confidence. I did the swim portion with a relay team last week for an Olympic distance tri to see what my time would be. Not as good as I had hoped, but the current was mega strong that day. At times I wasn't going anywhere!

Tomorrow morning we've got the 1st race of our "Red Dirt" series of off-road races. It'll be on part of the Xterra course, so good practice.

Have a great day, and happy training!

2013-03-02 8:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
Remind me not to start marathon training in the winter again. 
2013-03-02 9:02 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Lol! It's not that bad! Actually sometime I think it's better than training in summer. You go quicker when it's 25 as opposed to 95! ?? I'm inside on the bike right now. 2x40's then going outside for a quick brick run. ??
2013-03-03 12:58 PM
in reply to: #4643819

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
Meulen - 2013-03-02 9:02 PMLol! It's not that bad! Actually sometime I think it's better than training in summer. You go quicker when it's 25 as opposed to 95! ?? I'm inside on the bike right now. 2x40's then going outside for a quick brick run. ??
You're right. It's not that bad. My hands were just freezing when I got home and it was a painful process to get them warm again. I do notice that speed is easier when it's a little colder. I'll actually probably do it again. I usually do a bike and a swim for recovery after the long run, but I think I'll just get a bike in today. A 35 min bike felt great and I already fell ready for the week.
2013-03-04 2:01 AM

User image

Master
An MTB race on part of the Xterra Guam course. I pretty much look like I'm facing death anytime I'm on the hills, lol!

Edited by Blanda 2013-03-04 2:02 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tony's Xterra & Short Course Tri Group - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 16