BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2013-01-07 2:47 PM
in reply to: #4564036

User image

Alexandria
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed.

Stu,

Yes I've done Lake Anna races, Kinetic, Giant Acorne, haven't done Culpepper but would like to.  Once I finalize my race plan for this year I'll let you know...have you picked your races yet?

John

2013-01-07 3:12 PM
in reply to: #4544229

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Jim your training has been as horrid as mine has been.  I have 9 months you have 8, should be enough time yes.  Just don't jump in with too much too soon.  You have about 6-8 weeks to build your base (long runs 10, long bike 40, long swim 2000) before you start a solid 6 month plan.  It is doable for sure given your fitness from last year.

Jay... um describe what you mean by whip or frog and I will tell you.  Again breaststroke is frowned on in traithlons due to people being packed in and getting shmacked.  I am just happy there is a stroke I can do.  I believe my stroke would be more frog-ish but swimming terms mean different things to different people.

My first big race will be Napa, is closer than Wildflower. 

Edited by Baowolf 2013-01-07 3:16 PM
2013-01-07 5:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts

http://www.swim-teach.com/breaststroke-leg-kick.html

This is a really quick link that should explain the difference.  I was taught how to use the wedge kick, not the whip...so I'm interested in understanding it better.

2013-01-07 9:25 PM
in reply to: #4566180

User image

Regular
Montreal, Canada

Semi forced rest day today. Realized after getting changed for a run at lunch that I forget my shoes at home! Could at least complete my swim workout.

Anyone using iFit on their treadmill? I just realized it came with the trainer I owned for a year now, but the wifi config is not working too good. Any feedback welcome.

Thanks all for helping me put to rest my unrational fear of meeting Jack the (wetsuit) ripper at the end of the swim. :-)

Crunch Challenge Update 1/7/13:

Fred --5 out of 7 (arg, I forget about them until I get showered and on the computer). Did 4x30 on thursday in a circuit... just for the record...

Pam -- 7 out of 7

Anthony --

Carol -- 7 out of 7

Fred

2013-01-07 9:52 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
I think I'm more wedge, but will have to check it out tomorrow.  For me breaststroke is like breathing and freestyle is like um riding a unicycle... backwards. 
2013-01-08 10:17 AM

Blairstown, NJ

Steve,  Sooo psyched to be back. Thanks.

NAME:  Joe

FAMILY/DESCRIPTION:  Married 14yrs with a step son 21 and daughter 13. My kids have been a real inspiration as I picked up some running 5+ yrs ago, introducing my son to the sport and he went on to HS X-country. My daughter is another inspiration, swimming for a local team and is the reason I started this recent get in shape kick. Of course my wife holds everything together.

STORY:  Tired of having a hard time tying my shoes, I began swimming to get back in shape about 2 years ago. My weight hit close to 250 pounds at the peak and I am down to 220. My goal is to live a long healthy life and knew the change had to be made. Some friends convinced me to enter a local sprint tri last year. I had been swimming but not much more.

CURRENT TRAINING:   Swimming 2x a week for 2-3000yards. Started a couple 5k runs last week and will be picking it up slowly. Still a lot of dirt and snow around for me to feel comfortable on the bike but will look to start climbing some hills to build some strength.

2012 RACES: Last year I ran 3-5K’s, 1-10K, a 1/2 marathon, and 1 Sprint Tri.

2013 RACES:   5-6 5k’s, 2 10k’s, a 1/2 marathon, 2 Sprint Tri’s, and a HIM

WEIGHTLOSS: Like to lose 15-20 more pounds

GOALS :  Cut 10 minutes from last year’s 1:37 sprint tri time. Run a 5K under 27 minutes, and 10K in under 60 minutes. Bike an average 20 MPH for over 10 miles, lose 10+ pounds, swim 500M freestyle continuous, swim 50M free in under 35 sec, swim 100M in under 1:30. Have fun!

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: Growth takes time and patience, both of which I use to achieve my goals. Having surpassed my goals for last year by leaps and bounds, I am open to new challenges and want to succeed in the sport. We cannot fully predict the path life will take but enjoying the journey with so many like minded people makes for a very fruitful and prosperous time.

2013-01-08 10:52 AM

User image

Regular
Ankeny

I've been away since signing up for this group so I'm trying to catch up with everyone.  Here are my 2012 totals, keep in mind that I really didn't start tracking religiously until the end of Feb:

Bike: 31H 25M 55S - 385.51MI

Run: 24H 54M 48S - 121.85MI

Swim: 16H 10M 56S - 33587.23 YDS

I officially back in full swing!  I started back on the bike last week with just enough spinning to break in my new trainer and try out the TrainerRoad software.  It worked, but I have no idea what the data points mean!  I'm planning to baseline Saturday.  Does anyone else use TraininerRoad?

Just to give everyone SA on my training.  I work out with my local Tri group at the Y four days a week.  Mon/Wed is spinning (45min) and Tue/Thurs is swimming (60min).  The other three days are on my own.  I'll work in running three days a week.  The plan is to accomplish the C25K program again.  Because of my injury I'm going to take the running portion VERY slowly.  My main focus for this season is to improve on the bike.  With the new trainer at home and the new spin bikes at the Y I'm going to try to train with power as I've heard its the most efficent way to train.  I'll let you know how it goes! 

Today was the first day back in the pool after a six month layoff.  It went well and didn't suck as much as I thought it would.  My arms and shoulders feel like jello which was a surprise because I figured cardio would be the hard part.  However, I know that will go away with time.  As of typing this about four hours after my training session I feel GREAT!

Squirt - Count me in for the crunch challenge starting today!

I hope everyone has a great day!

Edited by BigN321 2013-01-08 10:59 AM
2013-01-08 11:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts

Joe and Brian, nice to see you!

Today was a good day by me!  Today was my week one weigh in post holidays and I'm happy to report to you all that I'm minus 5!  Even better than that, I haven't really cranked up my training yet so I'm really optomistic right now.  Only 3 more to go and then I can work on what I really need to get down weight wise!

Ran almost 6.5 with a friend of mine today.  My pace wasn't as fast as last time (9:19) mostly because of ice on our route and she is fighting thru a hip injury so we had to stop and stretch a few times...no biggie.  I also got back with the weights today and I'm going to try and stay semi heavy with my weights since I'll be doing a lot of cardio.  I know I have to lose muscle to drop the 25/30 I want to drop but I want the fat gone first!

Two things I need to work on....getting on the trainer and doing my bike miles is first.  I just don't like it but I know its necessary.  The second is getting in my core work.  I always feel like running/biking/swimming is enough core but I need to continue to do my planks, sit ups, etc.  Please hold me accountable on these two items if I don't start improving them in my log.

2013-01-08 11:57 AM
in reply to: #4568121

I read all of your posts and I feel like such a slacker. Hit the pool and stationary bike yesterday and I am scheduled for a run today. Although I know better I have been real lazy on my runs. I need to brush the dust off my trainer and hop on that thing. My first race (running) of the year is next weekend. Hopefully I'll remember how to move my legs
2013-01-08 12:48 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Cheryl how far is your race?  No logs, no racee reports.  How many miles a week have you been running.  What is your goal pace/race strategy?

I know we all like to compare were we are to others, but it is not always helpful.  A good way to compare is how well you are sticking to your plan, not what your plan is. 

For our marathon/ultra runners, remember to keep those toenails clipped short to reduce black toenails from hitting the front of the shoe box.  Yes I have negeclted this in the past.  For triathlons also clip those fingernails so you don't puncture your wetsuit. 

McMillan's Run Calculator (may have spelling off but close enough) is a great way to calculate paces for training and races.

Remember that your IM run pace is typically about 30 minutes slower than your open marathon and that your IM overal is typically around 1 hour longer than double hour HIM time (assuming similar course). 

Welcome to our straglers, group is moving pretty quick, glad you got a chance to catchup.  Remember to go slow at the beginning of your training for the year until you get your body back used to working out.  Today is a 2 mile... walk for me at lunch (knee) and a 1500 yard swim (breaststroke (shoulder)) and trainer rides are currently only 15 miles.  Yes that will build to an IM by September. 

With a much heavior workload this year at work, icy roads and injuries... yup I put my share of belly fat back on too.  Why is it so much easier to put weight on than to take it off.  So back to no chocolate or icecream again.  Weight loss of about 4 pounds per month is reasonable.... anything over 8 pounds is probably not great for you. 

Edited by Baowolf 2013-01-08 12:51 PM
2013-01-08 1:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC

Today was an accidental brick.  Was supposed to run this morning but a sick wife took precedent over my morning run.  Was able to sneak away from work and get my ride in and since I was out, decided to go ahead and run as well.  I am really excited about my marathon this weekend.  

Carol, I am actually also participating in your crunch challenge and I am 8 for 8.  Truth is I was in a similar challenge with a different group.

2013-01-08 2:14 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Ken - hope the marathon goes really well this weekend. I saw on another thread you're signed up for IM Lou in August? Good luck there as well.

Out for a run tonight as I didn't make it out today (strength training session last night was brutal, and I was cooked this AM). Back to the pool tomorrow AM and some trainer fun tomorrow night.

Glad the group is so active. This is a good bunch. Looking forward to seeing how the spring plays out for everyone.

2013-01-08 3:13 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Ken what is your race strategy.  If I remember you were shooting for 3:30 ish, so 7:45 pace for the first 20 miles and then either faster if ya have it or drifting a bit burning that 5:00 cushion over the last 6 miles with the goal of not going slower than 8:30 in any given mile of those last 6? 

Hrm all your runs looking strong over the past month..... you might be able to hit 7:40 pace and then decide at 20 what you have left in you.  Man I wish you had a little more weekly vollume in there you could just go out at that 7:10 and hold it. Tough call it really comes down to how well you know yourself.  You have done the distance before so you know how the race affects you.  

Edited by Baowolf 2013-01-08 3:17 PM
2013-01-08 3:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC

Steve, 

My race strategy is get with the 3:15 pacer and hang on for dear life.  My last marathon which I ran slightly injured, I was able to stay with him up to mile 18.  I lost 8 minutes or about a minute per mile the rest of the way.  I was also dealing with cramping issues.  

This race will be in Florida and the temps should be in the mid 60's.  So I will start taking fluids at about mile 8 and then every other mile and every other time take water and gatorade.  I plan to use gel for energy, every 5 miles.  

With this race being pretty flat and the temps manageable, I should be able to easily do 3:20 but shooting for 3:15 without injury.

Thanks Mike.  I volunteered at IMKY last year and knew that I would definitely want to be there this year.  

Edited by kmatt318 2013-01-08 3:22 PM
2013-01-08 3:55 PM
in reply to: #4568256

Baowolf - 2013-01-08 1:48 PM

Cheryl how far is your race?  No logs, no racee reports.  How many miles a week have you been running.  What is your goal pace/race strategy?

I know we all like to compare were we are to others, but it is not always helpful.  A good way to compare is how well you are sticking to your plan, not what your plan is. 

I was supposed to run the Bermuda Triangle challenge Fri-Sun next weekend (1mi, 10k, 13.1) but travel plans didn't work out so now I'm running a 6-7 mile leg in a marathon relay in Nassau. (Clearly im going for the weather & beaches lol). My next real race is a HM in mid February.

No real comparison to you guys needed, I know I've been slacking. I usually run 3-4 times a week with a long run base of 8+ depending on my race schedule. My last long run was a HM on Thanksgiving and since I've been very minimal on my runs. I'm actually running with my run group today and leading a run tomorrow so that may help bring my mojo back.

2013-01-08 5:59 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Wow a pacer.  That is nice, I have never been in a race with those.  Prefect temps for a mary at 60F and flat too.  So 7:25 ish pace drifting no slower than 8:00 mpm last 6 then.  Sounds good.  I would take in maybe 2-3 ounces at mile 5 and then go every other mile with fluids again 3-4 ish oz of water unless things warm up so you are right on track there.  You are stating with a gel at mile 5 or starting at mile 8 (and then every 5 miles there after)?  Given your pace every 5 miles makes sense, for our less speedy folks it is probably better to go by time or fewer miles.  (5x 7.5x 37 ish min vs 4x10 mpm= 40 min) Remember that you want to take in some water around when you take your gel to help with digestion.  So if you do a gel and water at mile 8 then you can do gatoraid at mile 10 etc.  Hopefuly you can hit the 3:20 and then at your next one hit the 3:15 with a little thicker base.       

Oh Carol, another thing you can do if you want a less thick gel is to put 4 oz of gel in a 5 ot 6 oz flask and fill it the rest of the way with water and shake it up.  Experiment around with that if you want and you can also take in a half ounce or just a little more often rather than a lot less frequently (your what do you do with half a gel issues). 

Cheryl good then you have enough base for your race.  You will want to up your long run though for the HM.... with not a lot of time to bring it up.  If you are at 8 ish now and you have say 6-7 weeks, thats 9,10.5, 8,12,13, 8 race.  Ideally you would want to hit 3x 15 for long runs before a HM, but you don't have time to build that between now and then, so pacing will be important come race day.   

Edited by Baowolf 2013-01-08 6:06 PM

2013-01-08 10:55 PM

User image

Veteran

Jay - Rest time does not get the credit it deserves. I remember how much I worried about how I would perform in a race while I was going through the taper. I was certain the time off was going to affect me negatively, but it was quite the opposite. Good for you! Nice weight loss! I with you on the core exercise need in life. I'm not about to join the group on the daily stuff cause I know better, but I want to do something.

Mike - I'm asking the same swim stroke question (I don't do any other stroke either). Your daughter sounds like a great kid. Love it when 40's are good weather.

Carol - how did the 18 miler go?

Joe - So glad to see you back with us! Great job on last year's goals!

BigN - Yeah for indoor trainers (said in low monotone). Let us know what you find to entertain yourself for hours

Ken - love the accidental stuff. It makes me realize how far I've come. I can just go out and make something happen when the opportunity presents itself. Good job! Excited to hear about your marathon!

Steve - Glad you are able to get out there and go even if it is slow. Most people who sustain similar injuries aren't so fortunate ebcause they aren't already in such great shape. I really hope you get to do another big race this year. Below are my Monthly totals for my IM build. If you need more of a breakdown let me know, but I went back and adjusted all my bike and run miles to correlate with what you recommended for my big build weeks. Biking: 1@100; 1@110; 1@115. Run: 3x18; 2x17; 4x16. I also adjusted a bit of the swimming to finish up with 3@5000.

January 322.10 Mi - 21h 27m

62.20 Mi - 12h 35m

23900.00 Yd - 8h 45m

February 319.50 Mi - 21h 11m

78.80 Mi - 15h 11m

27650.00 Yd - 10h 04m

March 447.30 Mi - 29h 35m

101.30 Mi - 20h 11m

34900.00 Yd - 12h 48m

April 637.20 Mi - 42h 43m

137.70 Mi - 27h 52m

37750.00 Yd - 13h 57m

May 815.20 Mi - 54h 47m

166.80 Mi - 35h 57m

44850.00 Yd - 16h 39m

June 273.50 Mi - 18h 35m

49.80 Mi - 10h 21m

17900.00 Yd - 6h 53m

IM training is now in full swing. I have my training schedule all figured out. Now all that needs to happen is getting it done. I'm stoked and scared. I've already started having nightmares about the race. The other night I dreampt you were all trying to track me but I was there because I didn't make it...aaaaaaahhhhhhh! Glad dreams don't ALWAYS come true.

So what do you get when you combine 34F, icy rain, low grey clouds, a lake, geese, snow to the ankles, several layers of clothing, and yaktraks? My 6.5 mile run today..haha. Tomorrow I shall bike inside where it is warm and dry, and where I will try not to die of boredom.

Night all!

2013-01-09 12:31 AM

User image

Regular
Roseville, CA

Whew I missed a few days on here and I missed a lot of miles! Nice work everyone. I cant say the same. Saturday I was all ready to head out for a 3 hour ride, got a flat not even a half mile so I just turned around went home. Changed my tube, headed back out kind of bummed because I was now looking at 2.5 hours. Made it 2 miles and another flat. At this point I was sure I must of had something stuck in my tire so I checked it close. Changed my flat, started to put my wheel back on and there it was right in front of me - very small sliver of metal stuck in my tire. I new what was coming pulled out the sliver and there goes the tube. Next move call my wife and come and get me. Ride over but at least hopped on the treadmill. LESSON LEARNED - Carry 2 tubes from now on and check the tire very close for anything in it. 

Samantha - wow that is a load, makes me dizzy thinking about the hours.  Very Impressive!

Brian

Edited by BMiller71 2013-01-09 12:32 AM
2013-01-09 6:16 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Samantha -- good luck. that is an awesome amount of training to undertake.

I didn't swim this AM as I felt I needed to get in a run, so I did 4 miles on the treadmill @ the gym. Had planned to swim after but forgot my jammers, so no swim .  Strength training tonight, and likely the rest of the week will be bike/run workouts as I get ready to start my plan on 1/14.

2013-01-09 7:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC

Samantha, love that build.  Hang in there with it.  You will be rewarded at your race.  

This morning was a swim/run.  I have a lunch meeting and my son has basketball tonight so I had to get everything done this AM.  My swim was good.  Still working on technique and not speed.  Want to try to make my swim stokes as efficient as possible.  Start more lessons next week.  Then I went on a 4 mile run.  Love living in NC.  This morning it was 35ish but very little wind so with proper clothing the run was actually comfortable.  

2013-01-09 7:49 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Hey there crunchers...just updating our list so it doesn't get lost among the awesome posting that's going on here.  Anyone else who wants in is welcome, and let me know if I missed anyone.  If you miss a day or two, pick yourself back up about 30 times a day like Fred did.  Progress trumps perfection .

Crunch Challenge Update 1/7/13:

Ken -- 7 out of 7

Brian --

Fred --5 out of 7 (arg, I forget about them until I get showered and on the computer). Did 4x30 on thursday in a circuit... just for the record...

Pam -- 7 out of 7

Anthony --

Carol -- 7 out of 7

Edited by squirt 2013-01-09 7:49 AM

2013-01-09 8:18 AM

New user
Norwalk, Ohio
Hey guys, I'm still hanging in there.  I've been pretty focused on weight lifting and building muscle.  I'm still riding the excercise bike in the basement.  For those of us who were in Steve's group last time, I didn't want you all to think I fell off the fitness wagon.  I'm not sure what the future holds for me, but being fit is going to be part of it.  I'm sure I'll check in from time to time and see how everyone is doing.  I decided as long as it will keep me healthy, I am going to focus on whatever I am excited about at the time.  I have a feeling that if I get back into triathlon training it will be for the Ironman or nothing.  I am currently trying to get my body weight to 200 pounds, with less than 10% body fat, and get my bench press up to 300 pounds. 
2013-01-09 8:21 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Wow, this IS an active group...love it!

Ken, good luck w/ your marathon this weekend!  Pacers are great.  I like the mental break they provide.  Plus, if it's windy, you can tuck in behind the folks who are sticking real close to them and draft a bit.  Good job juggling to get those workouts in. 

Joe, great to see you back!!!  Your race schedule looks like fun, and I do believe I see a HIM on it .

Mike, glad you are getting some warmer weather!  That 5K on the cruise sounds like lots of fun.  Something to keep in your mind over the winter too.

Jim, hope your knee continues to feel better!  Sounds like you and Steve will be on a similar path, which should be nice.

Samantha, climb that build mountain girl!!!  Rooting for you, and yes, I'll be tracking you, so try not to get lost on the way to the race when the time comes, OK? .  Your snowy run sounds beautiful, and brutal at the same time.  My 18 miler went well other than me being distracted by horses, dogs and people.  I've started to sort of judge longer runs by how quickly I recover, and it was definitely a win from that perspective.  Day after was a rest day, and then I hit a 13 miler the next day.

Steve, yes, it sure is easier to put on weight than take it off.  Almost effortless I'd say .  Thanks for the tip on the gel/water mixture.  I'm starting to think that taking in the whole gel may be best anyway.  Been burining through my circulating blood glucose pretty quickly lately. 

Brian (Bmiller), UGH a 3 flat day!  I've had one of those days a while back.  Group ride and bike shop employee was our leader.  He couldn't find the culprit in the tire either...until we got back to the shop.  Yep, tiny metal shard.

Jay, thanks for that breaststroke link.  I looked at it briefly, and think my sinking feeling might have to do with the timing.  Great job on the weightloss!  Would you like to join the crunch challenge for accountability?

Fred, LOL on jack the wetsuit ripper!

Brian (BigN), great job getting back in the pool after 6 months.  I'm not quite ready to go there, but have been building up a little anxiety about how bad it may be when the time comes.  Thanks for blazing the trail!

Cheryl, good job shaking off those cobwebs!  Sounds like some fun social runs ahead for you.  Good luck in the relay!

Stu, how goes the vacation?

Pam, did I see a 15/30K on your calendar for this weekend?

Marathon training still going pretty well.  Working on the nutrition issues and getting the runs in, but been feeling really fatigued AFTER runs the last few days.  Legs/feet feel OK, it's just an overall exhausted, can't focus, need to lay down, kind of feeling no matter how much coffee I drink!  It's raining pretty heavily outside today, and I need energy to devote to the kind of work that pays the bills, so punting my run to this evening at the rec center indoor track. 

2013-01-09 8:30 AM
in reply to: #4569569

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

quasimodo63 - 2013-01-09 8:18 AM I decided as long as it will keep me healthy, I am going to focus on whatever I am excited about at the time.  

Larry, good for you!  There is such a variety of things that can accomplish staying healthy.  I think recognizing that you want/need a change and making it is one of the wisest things you can do.  I like tri's for the balance they bring, but am enjoying just running right now and will go with that until I'm ready to shift things back the other way.  Not exactly working on my weaknesses in the off season per ideal tri training, but if I don't enjoy what I'm doing, in the end, I won't do it.

2013-01-09 10:02 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Samantha, if you can hit those numbers, your IM will be solid.  Probably even no walking on the marathon.  Looks great.

Brian, very frustrating day, but as this is a lifelong persuit of health... the one day will not alter plans too too much.  If you can hit a few extra miles on each of your rides this week you can probably absorb the loss.  I have had similar issues.  A cotton ball in your tool kit will help you identify the offending item.  You run it around the inside of the tire to see where it gets caught.  Also, if you put your tire on so that the graphic lines up with the air valve, then you can look at where the hole is on the tube and that will give you an idea of where on the tire the problem is.  Also if you get a bigger hole straight through the sidewall of your tire and tube, like pencil size, and you have a spare tube, but not a spare tire, you can use a dollar bill folded over to cover the hole so the new tube doesn't squish out and flat again.  It will get you home.   

Carol your runs are looking really solid with no more issues with your legs awsome.  What pace are your 1 mile repeats at?  And you should be increasing the number of repeats on those.  You did 5x 1 mile repeats at 10k pace, the next week it should be 6 and so on.  You are running far enough at a pace that is consistent with your easy pace that you are starting to need a little more hill/mile repeat/ speed work in there.  What is your goal pace for the mary?  Just eyeballing it looks like you are closing in on a 4:15-4:20:xx marathon... posibly, but at least 20 minutes faster than your last marathon. I need to know your mile repeats and see more of them though to get more precise. McMillans has you at a 4:31:xx marathon based on your last 10k, but you are training well, I think you can beat that. 

Edited by Baowolf 2013-01-09 10:34 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group - Sorry Closed. Rss Feed  

of 52