BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2013-02-05 5:21 AM
in reply to: #4607727

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED!
soccermom15 - 2013-02-04 12:17 PM

Andrea - can I ask where in CT you are?  My DH was raised there (born in Maine) and 2 of his sisters still live there - Meriden and Thomaston - plus I have an aunt in Danbury.  Good luck with restarting C25K.  I remember when I started running, consistency was my biggest problem.  It really does get easier if you run more than once a week (what I tried to do at the beginningEmbarassed). 

I've lived in several NW CT towns, but we've settled in New Hartford.  It's just a few towns from Thomaston.

2013-02-05 5:26 AM
in reply to: #4553673

User image

Veteran

I'm getting excited about a masters swim group that I'm planning to join in March.  (too busy now taking son to swim team 2-3 times a week)  I spoke with the coach last night just to make sure I'm going to be prepared prior to starting.  He's the head coach of the team my son is on.  I asked about if it was only freestyle and how long the repeats in the sets were.  Sometimes they do other strokes or have to choice to do other strokes.  They've done 8x75 and maybe 5x100, so I think I'll be fine as long as I get in the water regularly this month.

Plan for today is a lunch swim and evening C25K session.

2013-02-05 5:59 AM
in reply to: #4608907

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Andrea, congrats on the Masters group!  You're already fast in the water, this should really get you moving!  And some coaching too??  Awesome! 

2013-02-05 7:24 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Happy Tuesday everyone!

Hilde - hope the cold doesn't get to much worse.

Andrea - great that you've found a swim group.

I hope to get a decent run in today but am feeling a bit tired.  We'll see how the morning goes.

2013-02-05 9:17 AM

atlanta
So much for my long swim this morning. The pool heater at la fitness has been out for a week, big props for not putting up a sign by the staff. I think my heart stopped beating and my lungs froze. I did manage a quick 250, I guess I will have to get a wet suit and an overcoat for the rest of the week.
2013-02-05 8:19 PM
in reply to: #4609201

Spring/Woodlands Area

No fun, but at least you got a little in.  Apparently my pool is now open, so time to figure out how to fit that in.  But only on days it is going to be in at least the upper 60s (outdoor pool).

Couldn't get my ride in today.  Hectic family schedule.  Hopefully the rest of the week will be better.

2013-02-06 7:30 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Wednesday...time for a reboot for the week.

I've been battling, and losing, the urge to eat everything in sight.  Yesterday it finally caught up with me.  Definitely unmotivated and lethargic.  So today I WILL DO BETTER!

Cold swims --- oh no thanks!  At least you got in!

2013-02-06 12:22 PM
in reply to: #4610686

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
So yesterday I had a sub for the afternoon and left an "educational" DVD for the older kids to watch, actually a good movie called "Beethoven lives Upstairs"... so this morning I come back to find out the admin pulled my sub and stuck my teaching partner with double kids!  WTF?  So anyway, my first 3rd grade class just showed up and said, "No, we had the sub, but she played the movie in FRENCH and we couldn't understand it"... WT double F??  How hard is it to use a DVD remote and get a movie started??  Guess they pulled her after this class, good thing!!  So needless to say, they are watching it in ENGLISH today!
2013-02-06 5:58 PM

User image

Expert
OY, Hilde-- sounds like an utter nightmare! Alas, one can never tell what will happen in class when one has to bring in a sub...thanks for the reminder, as I'll have to do something twice in the fall for absences-- the first for my Ironman, the second for a research trip. Both unavoidably in September, sigh. We'll see how it goes... In the meantime, hurray for everyone's ongoing training, and hope the various colds all blow themselves elsewhere as soon as possible!
2013-02-06 5:59 PM
in reply to: #4606517

User image

Expert
apglave - 2013-02-03 1:18 PM

Glad she's okay.  And the car for the most part.

I might ride today.  Our schedule is out of whack because of the game.  Really don't care who wins, but we'll watch tonight.

X2 on being glad your daughter is OK, along with the "meh" reaction to the game, I have to admit!
2013-02-07 4:54 AM

User image

Middle Tennessee
Yawnnnn!!! Up at 4 am to meet my running partner here at my house. Standing on my carport stretching and wishing me and Brando were back in our warm bed. Thinking, "you do this why?" And answering "because you entered an Ironman,remember?!" Oh yeh,that. Good Morning and Happy Training Beasties!

2013-02-07 6:21 AM
in reply to: #4611857

Spring/Woodlands Area

And that's why I opt for online days instead of bringing in a sub - unfortunately not an option in PK-12 land.

Shad - that would be motivating.  Not sure if it's the carrot or the stick though.

Did Tuesday's ride yesterday - just pushed everything back a day.  And have to shuffle run to Sunday, ride to Saturday.  

Keep up the good work Beasts!  

2013-02-07 1:29 PM

User image

Veteran
I did a short swim at lunch today.  I included some kicking since I suspect that there will be some kick sets once I join the masters group in March.  Yup, I confirmed that I am a slow kicker.  Oh well, my arms and core seem to make up for my kick when I do each stroke.  Well, maybe not breaststroke.  I pretty much stink at breaststroke, LOL! 
2013-02-07 7:28 PM
in reply to: #4613118

Spring/Woodlands Area

Andrea - me too!  I'm a horrible kicker.  I pretend that's not a bad thing b/c I'm saving my legs :-)

Short run today.  I did a walk in the morning pushing the stroller, so I hit my 45 cumulative that I was looking for.  Definitely time to get new shoes.  I have no idea when I'll have time to do that though.

I'm also having a "bad" eating week.  Blaming that on Mardi Gras next week.  Oh well.  

Keep up the good work everyone.  And remember that rest and recovery now beats injury later in the season (especially talking to myself with this one!).

2013-02-08 7:32 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Morning beasties!

Running at 4:00am --- I think I would still be in a fog and not be able to function very well.  I think it's the 'stick'!

Legs & swimming --- When I do think about my legs, I realize that I hardly have any kick at all but they are still pretty much high in the water.  So that's a good thing.  

I have a nasty muscle knot somewhere under my left shoulder blade.  Sometimes it feels pretty bad and then sometimes it does not bother me.  This morning I spent quite a few agonizing minutes rolling on a tennis ball to massage it out.  I will do some more tonight.

Planning a nice swim today.  

2013-02-08 2:11 PM
in reply to: #4613118

User image

Expert
Missouri

rustymom - 2013-02-07 1:29 PM I did a short swim at lunch today.  I included some kicking since I suspect that there will be some kick sets once I join the masters group in March.  Yup, I confirmed that I am a slow kicker.  Oh well, my arms and core seem to make up for my kick when I do each stroke.  Well, maybe not breaststroke.  I pretty much stink at breaststroke, LOL! 

Me too!  I've got the arm motion but just can't seem to make my legs do what they're supposed to, LOL!

It's been a not-so-good day at work today (and for most of this week actually).  I'm ready for the weekend. I'm volunteering at a 4 mile race tomorrow morning.  It's a race I've done for the past 2 years but decided to skip this year.  They were short on help though so I told them I'd show up and give them a hand.  It's going to be a little cool but at least no snow or rain.

Run is on the schedule for tonight although right now a cold beer sounds a whole lot betterSmile.  I may have to use that as incentive to get the run done first - no run, no beer.  Now I just have to stick to it!

Hope everyone has a great weekend and for those in the northeast - stay safe and warm!

Edited by soccermom15 2013-02-08 2:18 PM

2013-02-08 8:19 PM
in reply to: #4614827

Spring/Woodlands Area

Second!  Stay safe up there in the Northeast.

Ride done for today.  I'll be riding first thing in the morning, which means on the trainer before sun up.  Blah.

2013-02-09 8:46 AM
in reply to: #4615281

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Wow on the Nemo storm up North!!!  Hope none of you are amongst the ones without power and oaver 2 FEET of snow!!  I do miss snow occasionally (I grew up in the suburbs of New York City), but I'll take my Texas winters thank you very much, even with the hotter than hell summers!

Still nursing my cold, still some congestion, but I hope to get out for a nice short run this morning and see how it goes.  I will probably avoid the pool again this week, it never fails that I think I'm good to go and hit the pool only to end up sick again for another couple of weeks... just the pool, not running or biking, so it must be something about the water.  Fairly busy weekend... gotta shop for my son's birthday and his girlfriend planned a surprise party for him tomorrow afternoon, tonight I'm going to a birthday celebration for a BT friend down at the town where I work, so a half hour drive there and back and I don't like driving in the dark!!  AND I don't drink, always feel like the odd man out with my diet Coke... And it's supposed to rain tonight into tomorrow, don't know what that will mean for training....

Off to check logs!!

2013-02-10 2:43 PM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Hope everyone up north is doing ok and shoveling out.  

Hilde --- sounds like you are getting better.  Good.

I got in a nice 9 miles today.  Hills mixed in on the route.  I'll need to start packing some gels for runs over an hour.  My energy really goes downhill right at 60 minutes.  I'll be feeling really great and then within 5 minutes things start heading south.  So really struggled to get home.

I have a big biking week next week.  It's our week to drive so I don't get dropped off closer to work every day.  These weeks really tucker me out.  At least the weather doesn't look too frigid.

I just signed up with a friend for two trail races. 5 miles each, in the area.  Someday I'd like to do the whole series (EX2 Spring Backyard Burn) but the calendar just doesn't work.  I do well in these races and they give away really cool gear to top series finishers.  My friend's 17 year-old daughter will also be racing.  My friend's words --- "we must make her eat our dust!".  So the focus for the next few weeks will be SPEED!!!

2013-02-11 7:20 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Hi Beasties!

Monday, Monday, so good to me.

Well, we'll see!

I am always looking for new recipes to try to make lunches and snack time a bit more healthy.  So yesterday I made some rice cakes (created by Feed Zone author Allen Lim).

Here is his version with bacon.  I haven't tried these yet but they look yummy.  I did make his recipe that has apples in it.  Here is the recipe.  They are easy to make, pretty good, and easy to eat.

Have a great day everyone.

2013-02-12 5:59 AM
in reply to: #4617056

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Mmmm, BACON!

Hope everyone is doing well... we've had a bit of rain lately, but it's looking to be moving out of the area by this afternoon and the temps will be more seasonal here, highs around 60, lows in the 30's, balmy for all of you still shoveling out up North, I know! 

I'm still getting over this cold, dang it.  Everytime something comes along to mess up my training, it's hard to get back to it!  I'm on an immuno suppressant, so these things tend to go on and on with me.  So hopefully my logs will start looking more beastly in the next few days!

Lots of good training going on amongst the Beasts!  Keep it up, and if you are lagging like me, let's step it up... 

2013-02-12 7:18 AM
in reply to: #4618551

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Hildebeast - 2013-02-12 5:59 AM

I'm still getting over this cold, dang it.  Everytime something comes along to mess up my training, it's hard to get back to it!  I'm on an immuno suppressant, so these things tend to go on and on with me.  So hopefully my logs will start looking more beastly in the next few days!

x2.  I have the same issue.  Sometimes I never seem to catch a full-blown cold but I also am not quite 100%.  This can go on for weeks.  Not sick but not really healthy either.  The last time this happened I just wished I would come down with the full blown cold so it would be over and done with!

Flat tire within 100 yards of home this morning.  My tire changing skills are non-existent so no commute today.  What should take me 15 minutes will take probably an hour this evening.  It's also the back tire.  I find it such a challenge to get the tire back on sometimes.  Looks to be the valve stem area.

Also, my experiments with weaning myself off of Tylenol PM to sleep aren't going so well.  Two nights no Tylenol PM, two nights of less than 5 hours sleep.  We'll see how tonight goes.

2013-02-12 7:40 PM
in reply to: #4618606

User image

Expert
Hi everyone!So sorry about the lag on logging recently-- have been both busy and dealing with insomnia again, after an entire season punctuated by the blasted stuff. So not fun. So have started a new approach, and we'll see how it goes-- after 2 nights, I'm cautiously optimistic.x2 on those nasty muscle cramps behind shoulder blades-- I have a recurring one, and it usually shows up when I'm stressed and/or underslept. Hope yours clears up soon!Also x2 on sucking at breast stroke-- my knees never could do whip kick comfortably! Give me front or back crawl any day...Hope you're all well and training up a storm, fellow Beasts!
2013-02-12 8:42 PM
in reply to: #4618606

User image

Extreme Veteran
hoffsquared - 2013-02-12 6:18 >p>Flat tire within 100 yards of home this morning.  My tire changing skills are non-existent so no commute today.  What should take me 15 minutes will take probably an hour this evening.  It's also the back tire.  I find it such a challenge to get the tire back on sometimes.  Looks to be the valve stem area.

Also, my experiments with weaning myself off of Tylenol PM to sleep aren't going so well.  Two nights no Tylenol PM, two nights of less than 5 hours sleep.  We'll see how tonight goes.

. This was me until I took a little class at a local bike shop recently. I was AMAZED at how much easier the whole process was with the proper technique. He even showed us how to remove the rear wheel in about 2 seconds with one move. I almost hope I get a flat soon so I can practice before I forget! I doubt if I can adequately describe it here, but if you can get into one of those clinics, I think you get a lot out of it.
2013-02-13 6:36 AM

Spring/Woodlands Area

Well, this week is sucking - missed Sunday and Tuesday workouts.  That pretty much sums it up.  I've got to figure out a way to fit in workouts when the husband has things planned at night.  So my challenge for today is to make sure I get in 45 good minutes - run or bike, I don't care.  

Thinking about moving workouts to the morning.  I leave for work at 5:45, so I'm not sure if that's realistic.

Keep up the good work everyone - and recovering counts as good work :-)!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 17