BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guy/Girls Tri--Masters Sprint/Olympic Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 37

2013-05-28 8:50 AM
in reply to: luv2bhealthy

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: RE-5/27 Race Report
WTG Norma! Congrats on the podium finish!! Great job Steve too! Looks like race season is upon us :-)

WTG on the weight, Scott - glad you're back on track!

Let's see quick catch-up for me.

Weight - back up a lb to 201. I wasn't as dedicated this past week - much more my typical seminar experience. Bad eating and not as much exercise. But did get a few nice runs in, so not a total disaster.

This weekend, however, was a disaster. Had to work on Saturday (last day of the seminar) and I was scheduled to get home late Saturday night but they pulled me off the plane and so I didn't get home until Sunday afternoon. I was so POed. It's been a long two weeks and I just wanted to get home. They never asked for volunteers (even when prompted by me) and they wouldn't give me a rental car (so instead they paid for two taxi rides and a hotel for the night - I hate stupidity!) Then Monday at 5:30am, my wife woke up with major pain... headed to the ER... turned out to be a kidney stone. First one for either of us. Poor Karen. Still working on it today, but on meds now and fairly comfortable. Certainly not like yesterday. The good news, and much to be thankful for, is that it didn't happen when she was driving last week up and back to New England... or when I was out of town.

So, hoping to get back on track this week, but we'll see. I dread the in-box!

May sign up for a triathlon on Sunday. A short sprint where we used to live. Did it once before and had fun. We'll see how the week plays out.

Stu

2013-05-28 9:34 AM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by luv2bhealthy

At the awards ceremony, you could have knocked me over when they called my name for 3rd place! I am anxious to get my times so I can see how I improved over the first Oly.

Norma--Congrats on a solid race! Sounds like you put in a great effort and your training is paid off.

A couple of comments: I don't know what to think on the chest tightness at the start. Years ago I used to get that at the start of a running race. It just felt like I had a band around my chest. It went away once I got into the race and I eventually chalked it up to race anxiety. You've ruled out the wetsuit, so that's good. Maybe Scott has some ideas as well.

Personally, I'm a bit of a worrier, so my view is to be on the cautious side and consult with your doctor if you can. It's probably nothing, but better safe than sorry. The heart attack rate in the swim is higher than the bike and run combined...and it almost always occurs with those of us in the older age groups. That's my outsider opinion.

Reaching a water bottle cage can be tough because to get your hand to the cage requires more waist flex and dipping the shoulders lower. It can be hard to do without swerving, especially in race conditions. That's why I went to aero mount drinking system. There are several out there to choose from. There is also a mounting system that puts the bottle directly behind your seat which might be an option as well...but you have to get your leg over both your seat and the bottle on the mount/dismount. But if you don't have aero bars or don't want to use one of those systems, then you'll probably just have to dedicate specific focus to practicing pulling and replacing your bottle from the cage. If you practice a lot, even if you aren't drinking, I think it will get easier.

Congrats again on a successful race.

Steve
2013-05-28 9:40 AM
in reply to: juneapple

User image

Regular
Originally posted by juneapple

This weekend, however, was a disaster. Had to work on Saturday (last day of the seminar) and I was scheduled to get home late Saturday night but they pulled me off the plane and so I didn't get home until Sunday afternoon. I was so POed. It's been a long two weeks and I just wanted to get home. They never asked for volunteers (even when prompted by me) and they wouldn't give me a rental car (so instead they paid for two taxi rides and a hotel for the night - I hate stupidity!) Then Monday at 5:30am, my wife woke up with major pain... headed to the ER... turned out to be a kidney stone. First one for either of us. Poor Karen. Still working on it today, but on meds now and fairly comfortable. Certainly not like yesterday. The good news, and much to be thankful for, is that it didn't happen when she was driving last week up and back to New England... or when I was out of town.

Stu

Stu...we're all going to send positive karma your way. You've had a tough couple of weeks! But, hopefully you're through the worst and now things will settle down and get back to normal. The good news is we're all in it for the long haul, so a few bad weeks won't wreck a lifetime training plan!

Steve
2013-05-28 1:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas

WTG Norma! Congrats on the podium finish!! Great job Steve too! Looks like race season is upon us :-)

WTG on the weight, Scott - glad you're back on track!

Let's see quick catch-up for me.

Weight - back up a lb to 201. I wasn't as dedicated this past week - much more my typical seminar experience. Bad eating and not as much exercise. But did get a few nice runs in, so not a total disaster.

So, hoping to get back on track this week, but we'll see. I dread the in-box!

May sign up for a triathlon on Sunday. A short sprint where we used to live. Did it once before and had fun. We'll see how the week plays out.

Stu

Oh, how scarey for you and your wife! Glad she is going to be ok. Hang in there!
2013-05-28 1:34 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Originally posted by lutzman

At the awards ceremony, you could have knocked me over when they called my name for 3rd place! I am anxious to get my times so I can see how I improved over the first Oly.

Norma--Congrats on a solid race! Sounds like you put in a great effort and your training is paid off.

A couple of comments: I don't know what to think on the chest tightness at the start. Years ago I used to get that at the start of a running race. It just felt like I had a band around my chest. It went away once I got into the race and I eventually chalked it up to race anxiety. You've ruled out the wetsuit, so that's good. Maybe Scott has some ideas as well.

Personally, I'm a bit of a worrier, so my view is to be on the cautious side and consult with your doctor if you can. It's probably nothing, but better safe than sorry. The heart attack rate in the swim is higher than the bike and run combined...and it almost always occurs with those of us in the older age groups. That's my outsider opinion.

Reaching a water bottle cage can be tough because to get your hand to the cage requires more waist flex and dipping the shoulders lower. It can be hard to do without swerving, especially in race conditions. That's why I went to aero mount drinking system. There are several out there to choose from. There is also a mounting system that puts the bottle directly behind your seat which might be an option as well...but you have to get your leg over both your seat and the bottle on the mount/dismount. But if you don't have aero bars or don't want to use one of those systems, then you'll probably just have to dedicate specific focus to practicing pulling and replacing your bottle from the cage. If you practice a lot, even if you aren't drinking, I think it will get easier.

Steve

Thanks, Steve! I appreciate the concern. Not worried about any heart issues as I don't have them at any other time. Oh, and I was at the doctor at the end of April for my annual. I guess it is just a combination of adrenline and nervousness. It just bothers me because it affects my swimming and it didn't happen last year. Frustrating!

OK, so the swerving is normal. There's got to be a better way so I will look into other systems. When I was telling one of my sons about the difficulty, he was like, "I don't see the problem." Well, he is taller with longer arms than mine. lol Thanks for the feedback. I guess it's like clipless pedals, but I would like it to be easier to get to my hydration short of wearing a camelback!
2013-05-28 2:44 PM

User image

Regular

Steve

When I was telling one of my sons about the difficulty, he was like, "I don't see the problem." Well, he is taller with longer arms than mine. lol Thanks for the feedback. I guess it's like clipless pedals, but I would like it to be easier to get to my hydration short of wearing a camelback!

My son said the same thing...talk to us not him. They can do anything!!
Great race story norma... run is my fav part...when i can.....

actually here in texas wearing a camelback is not a bad idea. it worked for me last season. this year i am going to drink while i wait for my swim wave to go out.....Never Lock up all you water in bike corral!!!!
I bought a profile designs aerobottle for this year. WAYYYYY better mon. No more cotton mouth while riding.
I dislike the bottle cage deal too. too hard.

pretty sure my weight is still 132 or maybe less. I would trade this diarrhea for a pound or two. think i have been fighting it for idk like a couple weeks. i take probiotics but maybe its lactose sneaking into my diet.

found new place for semi -private place for OWS. bout an hour drive but its powerboat free and not as cold as the big lake : )

2013-05-28 3:33 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: 5/27 Race Report

Not a bad day at the Moses Lake Spring Festival Triathlon. It's a pretty small race (80 people) so it's not all that competitive like the larger races. Hence, while I felt good about a 1st place finish in my age group and 6th overall, there isn't much in the way of bragging rights. 

Steve

I don't know, in my book a first place is a first place.  Congrats!

2013-05-28 3:46 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

My swim sucked. Went out to hard and then was gassed. Had to breast stroke a little to get my lungs back.

Steve

Hey Steve -

Remember a couple days ago when I made some off handed comment about negative splits?  Training using negative splits will ABSOLUTELY help you avoid 'going out to hard.'  Negative splits does two things, number once, it rapidly builds your overall fitness, number two, and perhaps more importantly under the circumstances, negative splits will teach you pace.  Say for example you want to negative split your 200 intervals.  Using a time range you mentioned the other day, you may shoot for 50's of :42, :41, :40, :39.  Obviously those are very subtle differences in pace.  However, when you get to where you can repeat that consistently, you will never go out to fast again unless you CHOOSE to go out to fast.

Just my two cents.

2013-05-28 4:33 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by luv2bhealthy So...Sunday's race. There were 130 people - some doing the half and others the Oly. I haven't seen the actual results to know my times or number of people in my age group, but I placed 3rd in my AG.

The swim went well except - and this is a question for Scott or anyone else who can give me advice -my chest felt constricted which happened on my last race. I do not feel this when I'm training in the pool. I thought when it happened on my prior race, it was the wetsuit, but I wasn't wearing a wetsuit this time, and my chest felt constricted almost the entire race. 

Norma -

Congratulations on the 3rd place podium finish!

Ok, the swim.  You didn't have a wetsuit on this time and still felt the chest constriction so clearly a wetsuit is not the problem.  I guess I have a couple questions.  How much open water swim experience do you have?  What type of open water is your experience in (ocean, lake, river, etc.)?  The race this past weekend, what type of water were you in (ocean, lake, etc.)?  I ask because when you get out of a nice clear swimming pool and into a natural body of water, all the rules suddenly change.  Depending upon the type of open water, the rules may change dramatically.  Let me give you an example of what I am talking about.  I am a reasonably strong swimmer.  Back in the summer of 1979 I was entered in my third 3-mile Seal Beach Rough Water Swim.  Went from the beach to an oil platform 1 1/2 miles out and back.  At the time our swim team was doing three a day workouts and I was logging roughly 12-15,000 meters/day.  So that little three mile swim was really not much more than a warm-up.  Except it was in the ocean, and as they say, "surf was up."  There were 10 foot waves breaking on the beach (Seal Beach normally has 2-3 foot on a HEAVY surf day).  More than the surf, the wind was blowing over 30 MPH and there was a 6-8 foot swell out past the surf line.

It was a group start, if memory serves there were 300-400 of us, and as we went through the surf line on the way out, I took a mouthful of nasty salty, sandy water.  You wanna talk about chest constriction?  Just that fast, I was in a full blown panic attack.  I couldn't stop because I would have been run over by 300 people.  I finally started doing butterfly because it got me through the waves better and I could breath every stroke.  I finally got myself settled down and towards the back of the pack.  I was out of sorts the entire morning.  Finally I got to the oil platform and one of the lifeguards that accompanied us on a paddle-board came over and ended my day.  I took a boat back to shore (along with nearly 2/3 of the entire starting field).

My point is, ALL the rules had changed and I was in the middle of something that I was not prepared for.

I suspect that your chest constriction is from a bit of anxiety about open water.  Let's face it, in open water you generally can't see the bottom.  If you CAN see the bottom, then you can also see all the critters in the water with you.  There are currents, or worse.  There may be significant water movement (waves), navigating to where you are going becomes a challenge.  The list goes on and on.  Over my entire swimming career (40+ years) I have probably put in well in excess of 1,000 miles in open water races and trainings.  Yet, still to this day, I am apprehensive when I start off in open water.  The apprehension disappears fairly quickly, but the butterflies are still there when I begin.

Putting in more open water miles will likely help you to become more comfortable.  As your comfort level increases, the chest constriction should begin to go away.

Just my two cents.

2013-05-28 4:45 PM
in reply to: Howaussie

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Gray Guy/Girls Tri--Masters Sprint/Olympic Mentor Group Open
Originally posted by Howaussie

Happy Memorial Day, my weight, last night, was 207.2 lbs

Progress!

161.5 for me down .5 from last week. Yes, I am counting in half pound increments.

Steve
2013-05-28 5:00 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Originally posted by k9car363

Not a bad day at the Moses Lake Spring Festival Triathlon. It's a pretty small race (80 people) so it's not all that competitive like the larger races. Hence, while I felt good about a 1st place finish in my age group and 6th overall, there isn't much in the way of bragging rights. 

Steve

I don't know, in my book a first place is a first place.  Congrats!

I agree! A first place IS a first place...and 6th overall out of 80? Awesome!

2013-05-28 5:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas

I guess I have a couple questions.  How much open water swim experience do you have?  What type of open water is your experience in (ocean, lake, river, etc.)?  The race this past weekend, what type of water were you in (ocean, lake, etc.)?  I ask because when you get out of a nice clear swimming pool and into a natural body of water, all the rules suddenly change.  I am apprehensive when I start off in open water.  The apprehension disappears fairly quickly, but the butterflies are still there when I begin.

Putting in more open water miles will likely help you to become more comfortable.  As your comfort level increases, the chest constriction should begin to go away.

Just my two cents.

Thanks for the input! Actually, I have more OWS experience then I do pool mostly lake swimming. My sons do not care for pool swimming that much, but prefer the openness and exploreablility of open water. All my tris have been OWS so there is no apprehension in open water. It must be anxiety...so I'll have to work on that.
2013-05-28 5:30 PM

User image

Regular

My swim sucked. Went out to hard and then was gassed. Had to breast stroke a little to get my lungs back.

Steve

Hey Steve -

Remember a couple days ago when I made some off handed comment about negative splits?  Training using negative splits will ABSOLUTELY help you avoid 'going out to hard.'  Negative splits does two things, number once, it rapidly builds your overall fitness, number two, and perhaps more importantly under the circumstances, negative splits will teach you pace.  Say for example you want to negative split your 200 intervals.  Using a time range you mentioned the other day, you may shoot for 50's of :42, :41, :40, :39.  Obviously those are very subtle differences in pace.  However, when you get to where you can repeat that consistently, you will never go out to fast again unless you CHOOSE to go out to fast.

Just my two cents.

Good stuff, that helps. My swim coach has been talking to me about negative splits, but it was hard for me to get the rationale of why I should care...after all, from an elapsed time standpoint a non stop 200 comprised of 4 x 50 yards in :40 seconds each is no different than the same distance with splits of 42, 41, 39, 38.

I'll take it to the pool and give it a try. It shouldn't be too hard since she will be standing over me with a stop watch!

Thanks for the feedback.

Steve
2013-05-29 6:01 AM

User image

Expert

I guess I have a couple questions.  How much open water swim experience do you have?  What type of open water is your experience in (ocean, lake, river, etc.)?  The race this past weekend, what type of water were you in (ocean, lake, etc.)?  I ask because when you get out of a nice clear swimming pool and into a natural body of water, all the rules suddenly change.  I am apprehensive when I start off in open water.  The apprehension disappears fairly quickly, but the butterflies are still there when I begin.

Just my two cents.

Thanks for the input! Actually, I have more OWS experience then I do pool mostly lake swimming. My sons do not care for pool swimming that much, but prefer the openness and exploreablility of open water. All my tris have been OWS so there is no apprehension in open water. It must be anxiety...so I'll have to work on that.

There's OWS when you're out with your boys in a lake on a lovely day and then there's OWS when there are 100 other people all swimming (and kicking) over each other aiming for that first turn buoy. That's about 100 good reasons to be somewhat anxious!

Do you warm up some beforehand so that you get your heart rate up? I found that my heart rate spiked even in pool swims (where there's really no reason to be anxious)... just the excitement of the race and I would go out a bit too fast (I was a sprinter in the old days - old habits are hard to break). A good warm-up beforehand seemed to help with that as well as some focus on a relaxed stroke at the start. Something to be said for experience.

Stu
2013-05-30 1:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas

There's OWS when you're out with your boys in a lake on a lovely day and then there's OWS when there are 100 other people all swimming (and kicking) over each other aiming for that first turn buoy. That's about 100 good reasons to be somewhat anxious!

Do you warm up some beforehand so that you get your heart rate up? I found that my heart rate spiked even in pool swims (where there's really no reason to be anxious)... just the excitement of the race and I would go out a bit too fast (I was a sprinter in the old days - old habits are hard to break). A good warm-up beforehand seemed to help with that as well as some focus on a relaxed stroke at the start. Something to be said for experience.

Stu

So true, Stu! I do swim in the lake while I'm there, going from buoy to buoy, etc., but it IS different when many others are there swimming with you. And I was thinking about the warm-up at the race itself but unfortunately, didn't have time. I've never done a pre-swim warm-up on race day so that probably is the problem...my heart rate is going up too quickly from the onset. Will have to work on that! Thanks!
2013-05-30 3:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Thought some folks might be interested in this, especially those in the weight loss challenge. Nothing earth shattering, but not a bad list of little reminders.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/wellness/fitness-myths/2013...

So, I signed up for the sprint on Sunday. Won't be a great race for me, but hopefully the conditions will be better than that last one... egad!

Stu

Edited by juneapple 2013-05-30 3:02 PM

2013-05-30 9:01 PM

User image

Subject: RE: Gray Guy/Girls Tri--Masters Sprint/Olympic Mentor Group CLOSED
I've been biking outside for a while and trying to stay longer in the aero position but, after a while, the inside of my upper legs feel fatigued and sore. Is this a fit problem or am I just using new muscles that need to be developed? Does anyone else experience this?
2013-05-30 10:54 PM

User image

Regular

So, I signed up for the sprint on Sunday. Won't be a great race for me, but hopefully the conditions will be better than that last one... egad!

Stu

Woohoo! Good luck but most of all have fun!
2013-05-30 10:59 PM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Regular
Originally posted by b2run

I've been biking outside for a while and trying to stay longer in the aero position but, after a while, the inside of my upper legs feel fatigued and sore. Is this a fit problem or am I just using new muscles that need to be developed? Does anyone else experience this?

What I've found is that the aero position works seems to impact my leg muscles differently than my road bike. The first few times out there are little aches and pains that are totally new. But it's certainly not like starting over from a fitness standpoint...just a little different. I actually noticed it more around my glutes...the outer part of upper leg/butt. My guess is after a few rides you'll dial it in and be perfectly fine.

Steve
2013-05-31 10:54 AM

User image

Regular

Thought some folks might be interested in this, especially those in the weight loss challenge. Nothing earth shattering, but not a bad list of little reminders.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/wellness/fitness-myths/2013...

Stu

My favorite line from this article: "Adds Ibrahim: “Most of us already have a six pack. It’s just under three levels of fat.”

So, I can tell my wife I have a six pack....it's just hidden away for safe keeping.
2013-05-31 1:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas

Stu

Woohoo! Good luck but most of all have fun!

X2!

2013-05-31 1:22 PM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Originally posted by b2run

I can't speak to aero since I ride a roadie, but after my first oly,, my inner thighs were quite sore. I think I was gripping my bike too hard. This last oly my right hand went to sleep for about half the ride. I had to adjust myself several times to take the pressure off. But sometimes I wonder if it's the fit.
2013-05-31 10:30 PM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Sorry I am posting this so late. I was traveling on business and no time to post or working out. But I am going to take it as a plus that I was able to rest up my ITB issue.

Great job on the races!

(PTC 5-26.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
PTC 5-26.jpg (74KB - 16 downloads)
2013-06-02 5:07 PM
in reply to: JREDFLY

User image

Expert
Quick hi before celebrating my FIL's 80th birthday. Did a 5K on Saturday (with my FIL). Challenging course, was 159th out of 1193 participants, which is quite good for me. Was slow by runner's standards, but I'm not a runner!

This morning, did a pool sprint triathlon. Backed into a podium finish thanks to the top 2 participants in the 50-54 placing 3rd and 4th overall. Dang, they were fast. My time this year would have won my age group by 2 minutes last year, but this year it was 4th. No matter, was happy with my race. But wow, those two guys were fast. Clearly motivating for us gray guy/girls! Still lots of upside apparently!

Stu
2013-06-02 7:50 PM

User image

New user

Quick hi before celebrating my FIL's 80th birthday. Did a 5K on Saturday (with my FIL). Challenging course, was 159th out of 1193 participants, which is quite good for me. Was slow by runner's standards, but I'm not a runner!

This morning, did a pool sprint triathlon. Backed into a podium finish thanks to the top 2 participants in the 50-54 placing 3rd and 4th overall. Dang, they were fast. My time this year would have won my age group by 2 minutes last year, but this year it was 4th. No matter, was happy with my race. But wow, those two guys were fast. Clearly motivating for us gray guy/girls! Still lots of upside apparently!

Stu

Good job this weekend. It is nice when you take time off your previous year finish.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guy/Girls Tri--Masters Sprint/Olympic Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 37