BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2013-05-29 11:34 AM
in reply to: hoffsquared

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Subject: RE: HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED!

Finally caught up.

We spent the long weekend working on our second home getting it ready as a vacation rental.  Three 14 hour days just wore me out.  Was so tired yesterday.  No workout other than bike commute.  Today too.

The house is coming along.  We have had it for over 10 years and it was ok for us...but getting it ready for folks on vacation is a different story.  At least it will be nice when we are there this fall!! Still have a broken washer, the cable people brought the wrong boxes, I bought the wrong size bike tires, etc.  Two more weekends and we will be done.

I have decided to use a plan for my September 9th race (Nation's).  I was supposed to start this week but that's a no-go.  So I will regenerate it starting for next week.

Good too see everyone posting!

2013-05-29 12:04 PM
in reply to: Hildebeast

User image

Veteran
Miles City, Montana
Thanks for the get well wishes, Beasties! Every day is a little better. I actually got on my mother's granny bike last night - the kind without a center bar, high upright handles, large padded seat - and rode around the neighborhood with my son on his little pedal bike. It was a beautiful night and my young son was so proud to be riding with me that I thoroughly enjoyed the easy outing even if the belly was a little tender. It wasn't "pizza" but I logged the activity in my training log!! I was just glad I didn't run into any of my friends that I road bike with - a girl has to have a little pride!!

Melody - by the by, I use a 5 gallon bucket in transition. I am a big fan. It is great to carry everything and especially to carry all the wet, sweaty, or sandy gear back after the race. I use the bucket to sit on in T1 to get my wet suit over the last part of my feet and then in T2 to roll on my socks, shove into running shoes and zip my speed laces. I am not steady enough after the swim to pull my wet suit off just by stepping on the tail and pulling a leg up. I saw someone grab onto the racked bike for balance and knock his and a couple others over because usually the rack is not very supportive. I bike without socks, but can't run comfortably without socks. Once again, I am not steady enough after getting off my bike to balance on one foot and put on socks. At set up, I roll my socks down to the toe, sprinkle a little powder in them (carry little travel size in my bag and sprinkle during my initial set up) and set them on top of my shoes next to the bucket. Loosen Velcro on bike shoes as you enter transition (don't wreck), dismount, rack bike, undo helmet and pitch while slipping out of bike shoes, sit, roll on sock, shove into shoe, speed lace, grab race belt (put on as you get your legs under you in first 1/4 mile) - BOOM - you are gone!

One thing that really helped me with transitions besides setting everything out and visually assessing location was to type out my progression of steps. It made me formally commit to a certain sequence. When I got to transition, I just followed those written notes.

Janette
2013-05-29 12:16 PM
in reply to: jaykayjay

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

OK- great tips!!! Thanks!!

My bike the night before-do you just roll your bike into the hotel room????  I wold hate to leave it on the back of the car and find it gone in the morning.

AND- I have not changed a tire yet.... should i make myself do this tonight? I have a really good you-tube how to bookmarked....I also have an extra set of tubes if I screw up....

2013-05-29 2:44 PM
in reply to: Meljoypip

User image

Veteran
Cleveland area, OH
Originally posted by Meljoypip

My bike the night before-do you just roll your bike into the hotel room????  I wold hate to leave it on the back of the car and find it gone in the morning.

AND- I have not changed a tire yet.... should i make myself do this tonight? I have a really good you-tube how to bookmarked....I also have an extra set of tubes if I screw up....

Yes, and yes! Change your tire multiple times tonight. Make sure you are comfortable removing and replacing the back wheel too. I think every single one of my flats so far have been on the back tire - it's more of a P.I.T.A. than the front, since you have to deal with the chain and gears.

Do you have tire levers? If not, head to your LBS and pick up a set (do not buy crappy ones at the local sporting goods shop - unfortunately I speak from experience on that one!). There's a lady on YouTube who claims that "anyone" can "easily" change a tire without them, I call BS. You can get the tire back on without them, but it's definitely easier to get off with a good set of levers.

Also, tires have a specific direction (took me a while to figure that one out ), rolling direction is usually indicated on the tire sidewall with an arrow. My only other addition is to try and not get too frustrated, it's something that gets easier with practice.

Happy tire changing
2013-05-29 3:18 PM
in reply to: arquillo

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
Originally posted by arquillo

Yes, and yes! Change your tire multiple times tonight. Make sure you are comfortable removing and replacing the back wheel too. I think every single one of my flats so far have been on the back tire - it's more of a P.I.T.A. than the front, since you have to deal with the chain and gears. Do you have tire levers? If not, head to your LBS and pick up a set (do not buy crappy ones at the local sporting goods shop - unfortunately I speak from experience on that one!). There's a lady on YouTube who claims that "anyone" can "easily" change a tire without them, I call BS. You can get the tire back on without them, but it's definitely easier to get off with a good set of levers. Also, tires have a specific direction (took me a while to figure that one out ), rolling direction is usually indicated on the tire sidewall with an arrow. My only other addition is to try and not get too frustrated, it's something that gets easier with practice. Happy tire changing

oh crap!

Yes i have levers- they are from Walmart- there is no LBS (there is not even a Walmart in my town) so they are what I am stuck with. Hopefully will work. 

Someone check out THIS VIDEO and tell me if this guy knows what he is talking about- PLEASE!! I watched a different one that showed how to get the back tire off.....And I watched a better one in the past that i thought i bookmarked but now cannot find of course.

2013-05-29 4:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Cleveland area, OH
That guy does know what he's talking about, but I think this one's a little bit better - couple of extra small details. Plus this guy has a cool accent

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=XPErMLGTFPE&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv...

And you should be okay with the Walmart levers - they're definitely better than nothing!

Edited by arquillo 2013-05-29 4:24 PM

2013-05-29 5:48 PM
in reply to: arquillo

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Chances are you will NOT flat during your race... I never have, but not a bad idea to practice and my flats have been about 95% on the back tire.  And yes, I DO roll my bike into my hotel room, no way I'm leaving a couple of thousand dollars worth of bike out on the rack even if it's locked up, much better safer in my room!  No need to get an extra bed for it, leaning up against the wall will be fine!  You can also YouTube transitions for some ideas, I did that before my first and it helped me visualize things.  You'll want to get to the race plenty early to set up, memorize where your bike is and check out the swim entrance, the bike out/bike in, and run out from transition.  I usually can find some kind of landmark to remember where my bike is, (ie the rack just past the tree, in line with the corner of the snack stand, or 7th rack on the right.)  Oh and of course you'll want to be there early so you can use the Porta-Potty umpteen zillion times! 
2013-05-29 5:54 PM

User image

New user
x10 on the tire changing. you have to have lots of practice on this.
2013-05-29 8:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

Originally posted by Hildebeast Chances are you will NOT flat during your race... I never have, but not a bad idea to practice and my flats have been about 95% on the back tire.  And yes, I DO roll my bike into my hotel room, no way I'm leaving a couple of thousand dollars worth of bike out on the rack even if it's locked up, much better safer in my room!  No need to get an extra bed for it, leaning up against the wall will be fine!  You can also YouTube transitions for some ideas, I did that before my first and it helped me visualize things.  You'll want to get to the race plenty early to set up, memorize where your bike is and check out the swim entrance, the bike out/bike in, and run out from transition.  I usually can find some kind of landmark to remember where my bike is, (ie the rack just past the tree, in line with the corner of the snack stand, or 7th rack on the right.)  Oh and of course you'll want to be there early so you can use the Porta-Potty umpteen zillion times! 

I plan on getting there at 5AM, transition opens at 5:30, race starts at 7.  Yes, I have been watching transitions. I have an AVERSION to prota-potties- but learned my lesson at the 5K when I did not go and I really think I could have knocked a few minutes off my time if I did not have to 'go'so bad the whole race. So yes Frown I will use them. Something I read said always bring toilet paper in your transition bag the PP never have any.

I am about to go change a tire.

AND by the way- THANKS SO MUCH for being such a great group, giving great advice and bearing with all of my questions!! Smile

Edited by Meljoypip 2013-05-29 8:18 PM
2013-05-29 10:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

ok-I did it!

First my portable bike pump totally sucks- I'm going to have to pick up a new one Friday. My floor pump worked great.

Hardest parts by far were getting the tire back on the rim with the tube inside and getting the whole wheel back on bike (lining up with chain).

It is now 9:55. Im whipped. I'm going to try to get home earlier tomorrow and do it again. 

2013-05-29 10:23 PM

User image

New user
my take on DIY endless pool swim. funny but effective, for people with no access to longer swimming pools

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GV8ptg2wT4

Edited by oldSAP 2013-05-30 12:47 AM

2013-05-30 5:09 AM
in reply to: oldSAP

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

I've never done the tethered swim thing, looks frustrating... all that swimming and getting nowhere!

Melody, you might want to check into a CO2 pump for your flat kit, I have one that you screw the CO2 canister onto a trigger mechanism and use it like a pump.  One canister will fill your tire up enough to get you home or through a race.  CO2 will seep out of your tire overnight, so if you do use it, empty the air out when you get home and fill with your floor pump.  One thing, the CO2 canister will get FREEZING cold when you use it!!!

2013-05-30 5:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
Originally posted by Hildebeast

I've never done the tethered swim thing, looks frustrating... all that swimming and getting nowhere!

Melody, you might want to check into a CO2 pump for your flat kit, I have one that you screw the CO2 canister onto a trigger mechanism and use it like a pump.  One canister will fill your tire up enough to get you home or through a race.  CO2 will seep out of your tire overnight, so if you do use it, empty the air out when you get home and fill with your floor pump.  One thing, the CO2 canister will get FREEZING cold when you use it!!!

I looked at CO2 but went with a pump because there is nowhere to get a replacement cartridge around here- but honestly if I got a flat just out riding I would probaly just call someone to get me (everyone here has a truck) and fix it at home.

Too funny my hands were pure black when I got done last night. 

2013-05-30 6:16 AM

User image

Veteran

I dropped my chain last summer and putting it back on gave me some greasy fingers and hands. I tried wiping them off in the grass and with some leaves. Soiled my white bar tape on the way home. I wanted the LBS to change it to black anyway. Now I have a few hand wipes in my bike bag in a plastic baggie.
2013-05-30 6:16 AM

User image

New user

I looked at CO2 but went with a pump because there is nowhere to get a replacement cartridge around here- but honestly if I got a flat just out riding I would probaly just call someone to get me (everyone here has a truck) and fix it at home.

if they're black then it's a sign you're doing it right
2013-05-30 6:19 AM

User image

New user
@Hilde, hahaha yeah it does look stupid and frustrating but without access to longer pools, i just have to McGyver it =)

2013-05-30 8:29 AM

User image

Veteran
On swim team as a kid the coach had a surgical tubing type thing with a belt that he hooked on the blocks and we would swim side by side and see who stopped first or who could get more distance from the blocks.
2013-05-30 9:27 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

My DH always asks me after a trainer ride "Did you enjoy your ride to nowhere?", LOL!  Same idea i guessSmile.

Janette - sorry about the surgery but glad you're doing better. 

Melody - The first time I tried to change a flat on my bike I literally blew up the new tubeEmbarassed (wasn't seated correctly and got caught between the tire and rim).  Luckily I was at a tire-changing class so they showed me what I did wrong.  Good luck with your race this weekend - can't wait to hear about it!  And someone mentioned having things written out - I did this for my first couple.  Just had a little 3x5 index card with T1 listed on the front and T2 listed on the back.  Helped me to not forget anything without having to really think about it. 

Looks like my ride this weekend might get rained outFrown.  Right now it's still on but the forecast is calling for T-storms.  We can still ride if it's just rain but if we get thunder/lightning they'll either cancel or shorten the ride.  Guess we'll just have to wait and see. 

2013-05-30 5:56 PM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

New user
@Andrea, that was the idea behind the tethered swim

@Janet, hahaha yep same idea, swimming to nowhere.
2013-05-31 11:39 AM

User image

New user
KY
Just reading through this forum and catching up- I need to do this a little more often! Glad to see everyone is doing well. Janette- that surgery sounds like a nightmare! Glad to hear your recovery is coming along and you had me laughing with your comment about not wanting to be seen by your road bike friends! Kristen, congrats on the PR! Still hoping to meet you at Fronhofer Tool Triathlon. And thanks for all the inspiration about learning to change a flat tire. My hubby has shown me a few times and walked me through it, but I really need to start practicing. It's such a valuable thing to know! Best of luck to everyone racing this weekend. Hubby and I are headed to Ohio for my first Olympic tri. I've done 3 HIM's but never an Olympic- go figure.
2013-05-31 12:18 PM
in reply to: erinrockrun

User image

Veteran
Miles City, Montana
Had my post surgery check up. All is good and actually the surgery scars on my tummy aren't as scary with all of the dressing off. I am not apt to go parading around in a skimpy bikini anyway! I got the doctors clearance to do light jogging and pedaling as long as I am not straining in my core. No lifting for 4 weeks. (I am, of course, including all housework of any kind in the lifting restriction!) The pedaling seems the easiest to approach first because jogging feels like a little too much jostling right now.

I finished teaching my regular season spinning class this morning. No more classes until fall except for a beginners class once a week. I cancelled the last several classes so I wanted to at least finish one with everyone before the break. I sat on the bike, no tension and no standing. It felt good and I don't think I overdid. I still took some Motrin afterward to be sure.

It sure helped my frame of mind to get up early and move around some. I have a runner friend that during cancer treatment adopted the slogan that she would just, "Wake up and lace up" to face each day. I always liked that saying because it seemed so realistic and positive. There certainly are times when I am shrugging into my workout gear that I am not excited about training, but mostly it is a good anticipation to just get "laced up" and get on with it.

I hope each of you enjoy the anticipation of whatever activity you have coming up!

Janette

2013-05-31 8:11 PM
in reply to: jaykayjay

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
Erin: Hope you have a great race!!Jenette: Wake up and lace up- I love it!!!
2013-06-01 9:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Miles City, Montana
I am headed out for a walk this lovely morning. We have had 6 inches of rain in the last 3 days, but today is gloriously sunny. We are a semi-arid part of Montana and our average annual rainfall is 17 inches so this feels like a real soaker. Last year we suffered drought, so I am amazed how nature can rebound so quickly. Creeks are running high and mud puddles everywhere. I live outside of town so I have the good fortune to enjoy a view of beautiful countryside every morning when I wake up. Today - it is calling to me like a little kid. I am wearing my old tennis shoes and I am planning on stepping in the mud, just for fun!!

Enjoy your weekend, Beasties!
2013-06-01 1:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
I did it!! We are on the way home- I don't k ow any of my times but I finished!! QUESTION: my lungs are killin me- really burning every time I take a deep breath... Is that normal? I don't know if I had something in my lungs coming on or if it was giving EVERYTHING I HAD to finish that run... Was good but WAY harder than I anticipated! So the question is , is it normal for my lungs to feel like this after?

Edited by Meljoypip 2013-06-01 1:21 PM
2013-06-01 6:33 PM

User image

New user

I did it!! We are on the way home- I don't k ow any of my times but I finished!! QUESTION: my lungs are killin me- really burning every time I take a deep breath... Is that normal? I don't know if I had something in my lungs coming on or if it was giving EVERYTHING I HAD to finish that run... Was good but WAY harder than I anticipated! So the question is , is it normal for my lungs to feel like this after?

First of all congratulations Melody!

Secondly, I'm not an expert, but a burning feeling doesn't sound right.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 29