BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group (5th season) - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2013-06-09 10:35 AM
in reply to: CWard

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group (5th season) - OPEN

Originally posted by CWard
Originally posted by CWard
Originally posted by sirgab Congrats on your 10K PR and your good swim! What is your goal for next week's race? Anyone from the group racing this weekend?
As my father told me when I started training to do these : The ultimate goal is to finish my first ever Tri However, I am looking at the following for my first race : Swim (1/2 mile) - 24 Min's (roughly 3:00 100's for the OWS) Bike (11 Miles) - 45 min's (Avg 15 mph. I know that is probably slow for the new bike I am using, but I really haven't had much saddle time to get a good feel for my pace on it yet.) Run (5k) - 30 Min's (Hoping for 9:30's) So with transitions, final time around 1:45
Will do a full RR after I return to Pullman this weekend (Still in C'dA area after the race), but will give a mini report here Goal #1 : FINISHED my first race ever!! Overall: 60/100 AG: 6/7 Swim ~ 20:17 T1 ~ 2:33 Bike ~ 38:57 (Almost 12 miles when scouted previous day) (Avg 18.5 mph) T2 ~ 1:17 Run ~ 28:48 (9.17/mile) (4 secs overall slower than my father's 9:16 pace) Total : 1:31:53 ~ 13 mins faster than expectations. (6 Mins behind my father) Will also have Garmin data for RR also.

Way to go Chris, great job and way to beat your expectations.  

2013-06-09 12:12 PM
in reply to: mharvey642

User image

Veteran
clayton
great job everyone on some solid race results and training!

Question - what sun cream do you use when racing? when do you apply? does it mark wetsuit/tri suit? does it wash off so dont bother?

thanks, Mark.
2013-06-09 2:34 PM
in reply to: markhodges1973

User image

Anybody know where the June challenge is posted?

Going to Maine next weekend and doing some OWS training in a lake up there. 3 hours on the bike yesterday.

Any suggestions on getting over mental block while running?
2013-06-09 5:44 PM
in reply to: debstl

User image

Finished my first TRI today. Achilles help up and overall I felt pretty good about the effort and results. Working on race report but waiting for results to be posted. Time was 1:37:14.
2013-06-09 7:12 PM
in reply to: markhodges1973

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly
Originally posted by markhodges1973

Question - what sun cream do you use when racing? when do you apply? does it mark wetsuit/tri suit? does it wash off so dont bother?

Blue Lizard - expensive but worth it.
2013-06-09 7:20 PM
in reply to: rgarcia1501

User image

Regular

Originally posted by rgarcia1501 Finished my first TRI today. Achilles help up and overall I felt pretty good about the effort and results. Working on race report but waiting for results to be posted. Time was 1:37:14.

Congrats on finishing your first Tri.  

2013-06-09 7:48 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Miami
I usually eat 100 gram of cereal with Nesquik and fat free milk 3 hours before the race. I also eat a toast 45 minutes after that and I drink a little bit of water and/or sports drink no closer than 30 minutes to the race start.

Milk is not very common before working out / racing, but I never had GI issues and it gets me jump started. Basically, make sure you eat carbs and stay away from fat and fiber as much as possible.

Here is a link where you can see what are the exact carb proportions for the days coming into the race as well as for race day: http://www.usatriathlon.org/about-multisport/multisport-zone/fuel-s...
2013-06-09 8:15 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Miami
Guys, I got my first podium today!!! 2nd in my AG and 16th overall.

I only signed up for this sprint race to do it with a few friends that wanted to do a tri for the first time and I didn't plan on taking it seriously. However, as race day approached, I couldn't avoid wanting to do good... I ended up with a 5k PR and a 0.25 mile OWS PR, so I am thrilled with my result!!!

Here is my race report: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

And here my first podium picture!

photo IMG_7485Resize_zps441de5c7.jpeg

Edited by davidfedez 2013-06-09 8:58 PM
2013-06-10 7:30 AM
in reply to: davidfedez

User image

Expert
David- Great job on your first podium!
2013-06-10 8:14 AM

User image

Regular

Originally posted by davidfedez Guys, I got my first podium today!!! 2nd in my AG and 16th overall. I only signed up for this sprint race to do it with a few friends that wanted to do a tri for the first time and I didn't plan on taking it seriously. However, as race day approached, I couldn't avoid wanting to do good... I ended up with a 5k PR and a 0.25 mile OWS PR, so I am thrilled with my result!!! Here is my race report: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid... And here my first podium picture!  photo IMG_7485Resize_zps441de5c7.jpeg

David, Great Race and great attitude.  Especially being on the podium with all of your friends watching.  

2013-06-10 9:39 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Lots of great successes for the team over the last week. Great job to all the racers!

I had a good weekend. Finally got bike outside for the first time this year. Good 25 mile ride. Had a PR on one of my Strava segments and almost took the KOM for the segment that goes by my home. I would have had it but let up in the middle of the segment thinking I would chase it another day. It was at the end of my ride and I was tired. had second thoughts and buckled down. Missed the KOM by 6 seconds. Grrrr.

Took a spill on the ride. Climbing a hill I was looking over my left shoulder due to thinking I heard a car coming, lost track of the curb on my right and rode into it and lost control of bike. I chose falling to the right onto the grass versus falling to the left in the rode. Rolled on my shoulder. Messed up my seat a bit, scraped the heck out of my right pedal. Right shoulder is very stiff and tough to stretch right arm above head. First time I've taken a spill in years.

Actually ran for the first time in 2 weeks last night. My 14 year old needed to get a run in so I went with her to test out my toe on a nice easy run. Felt pretty good but definitely not healed. Was nice to spend 30 minutes with my daughter and help her with her running. trying to get her to focus on the fact that easy running is beneficial and serves a purpose. Also went for a ride on my mountain bike yesterday towing my 3 year-old on our wee-hoo. She pedals now and has a blast. Good 45 minute workout for her - really just spinning the pedals. She slept great last night!

I think the link for the June challenge spreadsheet was posted on the previous page (page 10 of this thread). In a nutshell, you get up to three points per day (1 for a swim, 1 for a ride and 1 for a run). To count, a workout has to be more than 30 minutes in length. You can only count 1 disicpline per day (i.e. 2 runs in one day counts as 1 point). You must take 4 rest days during the month. I am at work - if someone can repost the google spreadsheet link where we log the challenge activity that would be great. If your name is not on the spreadsheet please type it in at the bottom and add workouts accordingly for June. I will sort the spreadsheet periodically so everyone can see who is in the lead. If I have confused anyone please let me know.

Edited by trisuppo 2013-06-10 9:42 AM

2013-06-10 2:26 PM
in reply to: mharvey642

User image

New user
Madrid
Congratulations to all first-timers!!! I really appreciate very much that you post your times in each segment, as I am new into this and have no clue about what time I will be doing - now I have a very good guess for my first Sprint end of this month. Thanks!
2013-06-10 2:27 PM

User image

New user
Madrid
Great David, will take a look at your link, your breakfast seems great to me!
2013-06-10 8:59 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

2013-06-11 9:28 AM

User image

Master
Have to give a shout out to Garmin Customer Service. I've been getting crazy elevation readings on my 910xt. This morning the watch told me my total elevation gain was about 48,000 ft. Last I checked I don't live in the Himalaya's. Anyway, talked with Garmin yesterday and they asked me to do a hard reset. Did that last night and elevation was still screwy this morning. Called Garmin and they quickly offered to switch out the watch. I wouldn't expect anything different, but love it when companies do the right thing.
2013-06-11 11:36 AM
in reply to: trisuppo

User image

Expert
Guatemala
Robert, congratulations on finishing your first tri, very exciting!

David, congrats on achieving your first podium, great pic!

I unfortunately developed an ear infection a few days ago and had to skip workouts yesterday. Started applying over the counter ear drops and am hoping that does the trick and that I don't have to go to the doc to get antibiotics. Not sure how long I will be with out swimming, any recommendations here? Thanks!

2013-06-11 2:00 PM

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly
Originally posted by trisuppo

Have to give a shout out to Garmin Customer Service. I've been getting crazy elevation readings on my 910xt. This morning the watch told me my total elevation gain was about 48,000 ft. Last I checked I don't live in the Himalaya's. Anyway, talked with Garmin yesterday and they asked me to do a hard reset. Did that last night and elevation was still screwy this morning. Called Garmin and they quickly offered to switch out the watch. I wouldn't expect anything different, but love it when companies do the right thing.

Mitch: Mine has been screwy as well. How do you do a hard reset?
2013-06-11 2:57 PM
in reply to: sirgab

User image

Expert
Originally posted by sirgab

I unfortunately developed an ear infection a few days ago and had to skip workouts yesterday. Started applying over the counter ear drops and am hoping that does the trick and that I don't have to go to the doc to get antibiotics. Not sure how long I will be with out swimming, any recommendations here? Thanks!

Antibiotics are the only thing for an ear infection. Otherwise you are just torturing yourself.
2013-06-11 3:05 PM

User image

Miami
Originally posted by rgarcia1501

Race report is done.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Great RR and congrats again on your tri!

If you are thinking about a lace system to save some time in transition, I would recommend you to stay away from easy laces if your feet are big. I have a size 12 and that brand doesn't make laces big enough for my shoes. As a result, my shoes were to tight and I got a foot injury (these were my first laces, so I had no idea how they were suppose to feel. I ran 8 straight miles with them and I got injured).

Look at Yankz and Xtenex laces. I read good things about them, although I haven't tried them yet.
2013-06-11 3:09 PM

User image

Miami

Thank you!!

My HR strap stopped working properly about one month ago (either didn't pick it up or after running for 1 hr my HR was 45 bpm). I changed the battery on the transmitter and still didn't work. I saw your post, I decided to call Garmin and a new HR strap is on its way!!

I really didn't expect this. They only asked me for the purchase receipt and a few other data before telling me they ordered a new strap for me. Awesome customer service!!
2013-06-11 3:17 PM
in reply to: JoePetto

User image

Master
Originally posted by JoePetto

Mitch: Mine has been screwy as well. How do you do a hard reset?

From garmin:

There are a few instances in which a master reset (or unprompted reset) can be performed on the Forerunner 910XT. All data on the fitness watch will be erased.
To perform the master reset:
1. Power Forerunner off
2. Press and hold Mode and Enter buttons
3. Press and release Power button (still holding Mode and Enter)
4. Release Mode and Enter once Power is released
The reset on the Forerunner 910XT is successful if the device finishes powering up and goes to the setup wizard. Try the steps again if the setup wizard does not appear.
Leave the device outside with a clear view of the sky for a minimum of 20 minutes to acquire satellite data once the reset and setup wizard are complete.

As I said - Garmin states I now have a hardware issue and is sending me a new Garmin.

2013-06-11 3:21 PM

User image

Master
Originally posted by davidfedez

Thank you!!

My HR strap stopped working properly about one month ago (either didn't pick it up or after running for 1 hr my HR was 45 bpm). I changed the battery on the transmitter and still didn't work. I saw your post, I decided to call Garmin and a new HR strap is on its way!!

I really didn't expect this. They only asked me for the purchase receipt and a few other data before telling me they ordered a new strap for me. Awesome customer service!!

I went through your exact problem a couple months ago and Garmin was great about sending me a new HR strap as well. My fall back plan was that I bought the watch from REI - REI has one of the best return policies and they would have allowed me to exchange with no real questions asked. Again, give Garmin credit from doing the right thing.
2013-06-11 3:22 PM

User image

Master
I'm cauiously optimistic about my toe. Seems like it really started to heal. I ran this morning - 3.5 miles and its just a tad bit sore. I didn't do any intervals, but none required by my HM plan for a few weeks. I'll be happy to get this injury past me and get back to normal running.
2013-06-11 7:07 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

I had a double ear infection about 6 months ago. Not only should you go the oral antibiotic route but they also make an ear drop that has antibiotic. That did the trick. I would also suggest you goto an ENT, not just a general practitioner. The general doctor didn't see anything and after continued pain I went to the ENT.

Originally posted by JBacarella

Originally posted by sirgab

Antibiotics are the only thing for an ear infection. Otherwise you are just torturing yourself.
2013-06-11 7:08 PM

User image

Thanks, not a real big foot....11 but I will definitely look into the Yankz and Xtenex laces.

Originally posted by davidfedez

Originally posted by rgarcia1501

Race report is done.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Great RR and congrats again on your tri!

If you are thinking about a lace system to save some time in transition, I would recommend you to stay away from easy laces if your feet are big. I have a size 12 and that brand doesn't make laces big enough for my shoes. As a result, my shoes were to tight and I got a foot injury (these were my first laces, so I had no idea how they were suppose to feel. I ran 8 straight miles with them and I got injured).

Look at Yankz and Xtenex laces. I read good things about them, although I haven't tried them yet.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group (5th season) - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 21