BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2014-06-10 5:46 AM
in reply to: JREDFLY

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Subject: RE: Boise update
Dave, the chia seed recipe is just winged here but I put about a teaspoon of chia seeds in maybe 4 - 6 oz of water, a squirt of lemon juice and maybe a big squirt of honey. The chia seeds will not absorb all the water but they will get soft and expand. The liquid is good prior to a workout, the chia good for protein, honey good for quick carbs and lemon good for vitamin C. I just drink it, kind of like thick water.

1 more thing that has elped me a lot is spirulina, it tastes like buzzard vomit but I feel better when I take it. It is not so bad if you mix it with something to mask the taste. I learned about it when reading "Finding Ultra" and have been taking it for about 6 months and plan on taking it from here on.......

Steve I hope you get out of the hospital today and have a nice easy trip home.

2014-06-10 5:50 AM
in reply to: KWDreamun

User image

Dublin, Ohio
Oh no Steve! Hope you're healing well!
2014-06-10 7:06 AM
in reply to: ok2try

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Subject: RE: Breathing

Originally posted by ok2try Dan wrote "I think that I am doing a better job at keeping my head down and only turning it a little for that breath. I did read your blog entries for both body roll and breathing and I am pretty sure I need more body roll. Can you say anything about where in the stroke cycle you actually turn your head to breathe? Seems like the peak point in the body roll would coincide with the recovering arm (elbow first) just starting to come out of the water. Is that right? Should I be starting to turn my head just slightly before that?" I learned a very helpful exercise with which I start every single workout: just swim a lap or 2 focusing on keeping your lower eye submerged while breathing. If you're not seeing what's underwater with that eye, your head has come up too much. (you have to kind of poke your mouth up to one side to breathe!) Deb

Thanks Deb.  I do 50 meters of that on each side as part of my warm-up most every time I swim.

2014-06-10 9:37 AM

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Originally posted by KWDreamun

The liquid is good prior to a workout, the chia good for protein, honey good for quick carbs and lemon good for vitamin C. I just drink it, kind of like thick water.

1 more thing that has elped me a lot is spirulina, it tastes like buzzard vomit but I feel better when I take it. It is not so bad if you mix it with something to mask the taste.

Karl,

I made a batch of your chia seed mixture last night in a tupperware container. It was pretty thick, so I poured some over plain greek yogurt before my morning swim. Not bad! I may experiment with it as an alternative to my current pre workout nutrition.

Regarding your other recommendation: I have not tried either spirulina or buzzard vomit, so I'll have to take your word for their taste similarities. I do make a number of different blue/green algae like drinks that I consume post workout, so I may try adding spirulina to my kale, spinach, banana, berry and casein blend and see if I notice any health benefits.

Thanks,

Dave
2014-06-10 11:03 AM
in reply to: DJP_19

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Dave you made me laugh!!!

When I 1st started taking spirulina I thought huh, nothing, then I went out of town for a week, after 3 days I started craving it, just like when you go out of town and eat unhealthy and start craving vegetables. So I found a health food store and bought some to get me through until I got home. A week or so later I was noticing my workouts were getting better, was it spirulina, I don't know but I will not be without it.

karl
2014-06-10 1:52 PM
in reply to: lutzman

New user
Wooster, Ohio
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN!
Ok.... Ones week into my bucket list adventure (Ironman)... I've been passed on the bike by laughing (I'm sure at me) Amish girls on fat tired bikes and billowing pretty amish dresses and bonnets. I"ve been almost passed up by kids taking the one-lap test to see if they can go off the diving board. and my run sessions are now a couch -to-5k plan on my smartphone. But I am still smiling....still trying.... still logging.....still breathing.... and I'm not in pain. But my house is a mess and I'm tired at work (2nd shift factory). Oh yaaa..... Im still slow and fat and old too. But Im determined.

2014-06-10 2:10 PM
in reply to: dogwoman

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
You can do it, you will do more in 1 day than most people will ever comprehend. I would love to be in you shoes (able to swim 2.4 miles) or even 200 yards right now. Good Luck in your race and enjoy the experience and the day, just be careful.

Do you have a tracking number so we can stalk you?
2014-06-10 2:30 PM

New user
Wooster, Ohio
Thanks for the words.... Whats a tracking number?
2014-06-10 7:09 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by dogwoman Thanks for the words.... Whats a tracking number?

Do you know your bib number so we can follow your race progress on line?

2014-06-10 7:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Spencer, New York
Originally posted by dogwoman

Ok.... Ones week into my bucket list adventure (Ironman)... I've been passed on the bike by laughing (I'm sure at me) Amish girls on fat tired bikes and billowing pretty amish dresses and bonnets. I"ve been almost passed up by kids taking the one-lap test to see if they can go off the diving board. and my run sessions are now a couch -to-5k plan on my smartphone. But I am still smiling....still trying.... still logging.....still breathing.... and I'm not in pain. But my house is a mess and I'm tired at work (2nd shift factory). Oh yaaa..... Im still slow and fat and old too. But Im determined.

Dogwoman, I didn't take up multisport or any competitive athletics until I was 62 years old. I was a little overweight, had "bad" knees, didn't have a bike, and tended to panic in open water. I think if I could do it, so can you (although I have no desire to do an Ironman). Never give up, and take the time you need getting to the IM.
The only thing on my bucket list is to remain fully alive until it's time for me to kick off.
In addition to the fun of the sport, being really fit allows me to do other things that other people my age are quite frankly unable to do.
(But my house has been a mess for years!)
Hang in there!
Deb

Edited by ok2try 2014-06-10 7:36 PM
2014-06-11 6:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Good morning everyone! It's a beautiful day in southern Maine, a little cool for me at this point, but getting ready to head out for a bike ride, my first of the season. Still trying to adjust to the 7 hour time zone difference and quite a few pitchers of Sangria in Rota Spain, but really looking forward to start doing some training, not sure for what at this point.

Steve, so sorry to hear about the accident, but Chicks dig scars and you have a good story to tell all the folks sitting around being careful in life instead of living life to the fullest! But in all seriousness, take time to recover and you will be in our prayers for a speedy stringer than ever recovery.

Looks like everyone is well into their seasons and hopefully having fun doing it. Looks like there have been lots of good informative ideas, I look forward to reading them all in more detail. I think I have accidentally stumbled upon the crocodile eyes form of sighting most of the time, except when we have the big rollers in the ocean and it gets a little tough seeing anything.
I would highly recommend a bike fit for anyone with a new bike, I am no expert, but learned the hard way that it is a very important part of our training. After buying a bike used and fitting myself to what was a fairly comfortable position and training hard for my first HIM, I developed severe sciatica after a long ride a few weeks out of my race, after many doctors appointments I was informed that if I continued to run with out surgery I risked permanent nerve damage, I was already losing function in my toes. My doctor and Physical therapist, a Triathlete himself, believe that it was from poor form that I developed a cyst that required removal and the end of that season. I am now a true believer of a Professional fit by someone trained and experienced in bike fitting!

I hope everyone has a great day!
So happy to be back home once again!
Dan

2014-06-11 9:04 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Hey has anyone heard from Steve?

How do ya'll MAKE youself go out and run in the rain? Give me your ideas. I don't mind running in the rain if it starts while I'm out there but going out in it is different.

Hope ya'll are having a GREAT hump day!
2014-06-11 9:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar

How do ya'll MAKE youself go out and run in the rain? Give me your ideas. I don't mind running in the rain if it starts while I'm out there but going out in it is different.

Hope ya'll are having a GREAT hump day!

During the summer I Love to run in the rain, during the winter when it's freezing I tell myself no one else is out running so I'm gaining on them.

Well my bike ride was a nice one, slow easy 10 miles trying to get used to the saddle again, planned on doing a easy 2 mile run after, but my chain broke at the end of my ride so I ended up running the mile and a half home in my socks, transition training?

Now relaxing on the porch trying to convince my self it's too early for a beer so all in all a great day!
2014-06-11 9:47 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

New user
Wooster, Ohio
Oh, My race will be in 2016.... I have a long way to go but I'll keep you posted.
2014-06-11 9:52 AM

New user
Wooster, Ohio
Hey, Thanks for the encouragement. Your story was exactly what I needed to hear. I am taking my time for the Ironman. I plan for 2016 if I am ready. Everything will depend on what my body tells me. I will do a sprint this summer . An Olympi and half next summer in prep. You are truly an inspiration for me. Thanks, Linda
2014-06-11 10:57 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Dogwoman, have you read the book You are an Ironman, it is a great book to read. I loved your analogy of the amish lady riding the bike...made me laugh so hard. you know, the swim is keeping me out of the triathlon scene, specifically IM and I'm so mad at myself but I just can't figure the swim out...I'm so proud of you for doing it!!!!!

Mountaindan,
it is always 5:00 somewhere, now go enjoy!

2014-06-11 11:21 AM

New user
Wooster, Ohio
That's the book I read while on vacation in March and got this ball rolling.... I loved it! Those people are amazing. Reading that book is why I am going extremely slow in my pursuit and listening to my body. Todays ride was not so bad... the Amish must be plowing their fields or mucking something. I don't think anyone laughed at me today. Thanks for your input and have a great day...train smart.
2014-06-11 11:24 AM

New user
Wooster, Ohio
Mountaindan, Please hire a swim coach....someone who works on form and confidence. Not speed.
2014-06-11 12:28 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by dogwoman

Ok . . One week into my bucket list adventure (Ironman)...But my house is a mess . . .

Here's a thought, the dirt will be there tomorrow!  When you get back from a good workout and look around the house as you enjoy the exercise endorphin high, you won't even see the dirt or clutter!

2014-06-11 12:48 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

I would love to be in you shoes (able to swim 2.4 miles) or even 200 yards right now. 

Karl, REALLY -  you CAN do the swim!  I know it can be incredibly frustrating as you are starting out.  The secret is you just keep trying.  You can ask James (JREDFLY) about his swim and the incredible progress he has made.  If memory serves, at the beginning of last season he had a difficult time swimming a single 25 yard lap, now he is getting ready to do an Olympic Triathlon (1 mile swim).  He has worked his tail off and there were times he experience similar frustration to what you currently have, but he made it and now is, while maybe not a front of pack swimmer, he is able to complete the distance with people behind him!

On my website, I have several articles on proper technique, if you are interested you can find them at http://goscottgo.info/index.php/swimming-technique.  I would suggest reading in this order -> kick, body roll, freestyle stroke, breathing, catch and pull.  I would further suggest you work on things in that order.

Hope that helps a little bit.

Edited by k9car363 2014-06-11 2:12 PM
2014-06-11 12:49 PM
in reply to: Mountaindan

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Mountaindan

Good morning everyone! It's a beautiful day in southern Maine . . .

Dan

Dan,

Glad you made it safely back to the States!

2014-06-11 2:04 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

I sweat profusely so running in the rain, running without rain, pretty much no difference 'cause I am going to be wet either way.  That said, I look at intentionally running in the rain as a "badge of honor."  There are athletes and then there are 'serious' athletes.  I figure running in the rain, or the snow for that matter, crosses you over the line into being a serious athlete!  (For the record, I love running in the cold or the snow!)

I draw the line at lightening and think twice about riding in the rain.  Whether I ride in the rain or not depends upon what the planned ride that day is.  If it is a planned long ride and it is raining I will generally just get on the trainer to stay safe.  I do think however that you need to ride in the rain occasionally because you never know what your going to get on race day.

2014-06-11 2:27 PM
in reply to: k9car363

New user
Wooster, Ohio
Love it!
2014-06-11 2:36 PM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Thanks Scott, yes I love your website and I'll check out and send the person you suggested a PM. I had gotten better and even did a modified Oly but then they put me into bi-lateral breathing and I lost it completely. I'll keep at it.
2014-06-11 4:52 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Regular
UNITED STATES
Wow Steve, That was a bad crash and the way it happened what a bummer. I hope you recover quickly. I wanted to tell you about my sprint on June 8th. I was not trained enough even for a sprint. I had been on the couch for 14 months and had 2 months training before the race. By the way some of my injuries were from a bike incident i was dealing with 2 dislocated ribs with muscle tears and cartilage damage not to mention my back injuries. I pushed some training sessions the last 3 weeks at race pace but just couldn't get in enough. To start the race i panicked and couldn't breath so i had to wait a min. to calm myself, i did catch up to people and then the chop from them threw my rhythm off again so i stopped momentarily. Sometimes i think my wetsuit is to small cause its hard to breath. I transitioned ok and the bike actually went good as my pace was better than any of my training paces. Again the transition went good but the run was very bad my left hammy and back acted up and it was all i could do to finish. So i am readjusting my training and will aim for a sept olympic
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN! Rss Feed  

of 40

RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58

Started by Qua17
Views: 48169 Posts: 1446

2014-12-21 7:19 PM Qua17

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 51167 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19837 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31