BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2015-01-11 10:15 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: Weekend plans
Originally posted by EchoLkScott

Tomorrow I plan to do my first virtual-power ride on TrainerRoad. The first ride is an hour long with a couple of 8-minute time trials used to estimate Functional Threshold Power (FTP) & Lactate Threshold Heart Rate (LTHR). I'll let you know how that goes.

I'm planning to watch the Seahawks beat the Panthers this afternoon. Go Hawks!

Test done and it's not pretty. TrainerRoad says my FTP is 130 Watts. Based on a quick internet search, that puts me somewhere between a 97 year old grandmother and a medium-sized Chihuahua.

Good news - plenty of room for improvement!

Scott I.

--------------------------------------------------
Working to pass the Chihuahua!

P.S. And the Seahawks won!

Edited by EchoLkScott 2015-01-11 10:54 PM

2015-01-11 10:51 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED

This morning I was 181.8 lbs.  Not a bad start to the Weight Loss Challenge.  Last week was my first full training week for 2015.  Looking forward to this weeks effort.  Good luck everyone.

2015-01-11 11:10 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Good Evening Everyone!

Lots of good info on the board...

Scott - I must admit. My eyes glaze over when I have to start calculating stuff and all (kind of takes the joy out of all this lol) but I am going to calculate my STP on Tuesday. I know it said I need a helper but I can only get a lane at 4 am and none of my friends would want to help me, lol. So is it pointless to try and do this on my own?

Tammy - where in Montana are you? My future daughter-in-law is from Ronan and my son graduated from MSU. My other son went to Univ of Mont. I love going there!

Question: how do you learn what gear you should be in? I was told to always be in my little ring but a lot of times I am pedaling furiously and it's super awkward. Also, how do you hand hills? Not super sharp gains in elevation but gradual incline (300 ft over .5 mile) and then down. I rode part of Palos Verdes and I didn't know quite what to do. It's pretty much up and down.

One interesting thing was I compared my data and I rode 3 mph at every 5 mile split so the extra biking seems to paying off.

Have a great Monday everyone!

PS - one more question - are spin classes an ok substitue for a bike workout?

THANKS!
2015-01-12 12:43 AM

User image

Weigh In: 204 lbs
Target Weight by 31 March: 188 lbs

I got my X ray results back and I'm pleased to report it's soft tissue only, no surgery required. I'll be running again in 6 weeks if my recovery goes to plan.

I've had a major shift if my approach the last few days. Rather than dwelling on what I can't do I'm focusing on what I can do. Lots of swimming planned over the coming weeks. This should be beneficial as it is my weakest discipline.

If I was fit I would have been guaranteed a Top 10 finish in my age group in yesterday's race. (There were only 9 entrants)

Rod
2015-01-12 5:00 AM
in reply to: #5075155

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Weigh in this morning 239 up a few pounds after my mini vacation!
Goal for my May 10 marathon is sub 220.
Holidays over girls back to school, time to really kick it in to gear!!!!

Dan
2015-01-12 7:05 AM
in reply to: Mountaindan

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
weighed in yesterday morning with a starting weight of 187.6lbs.

My goal is <175 for racing season.

Hope everyone has a great training week.

Dave

2015-01-12 8:24 AM
in reply to: #5082408

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Ok didn't really want to post my weight but i think it will keep me more accountable: as of yesterday 151.8 and I am looking to get down to 132.
2015-01-12 8:35 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Hey Everyone!

I see a lot of you are posting your actual weight .

Just to clarify again.  You don't have to post your actual weight.  You do need to weigh yourself and record it somewhere.  Beginning next Sunday, you weigh yourself and then post your weight change - gain or loss - and your workout minutes for the previous week.

If posting your weight will help motivate you, then by all means, put your weight up.  As for me, my computer would break if I tried to enter that big a number!

Edited by k9car363 2015-01-12 9:17 AM
2015-01-12 8:42 AM
in reply to: EchoLkScott

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Test done and it's not pretty. TrainerRoad says my FTP is 130 Watts. Based on a quick internet search, that puts me somewhere between a 97 year old grandmother and a medium-sized Chihuahua. 

Establishing a baseline number - good, bad, or ugly - is always preferable to not knowing the number. 

Now you know, you aren't guessing any more, and now you can objectively see improvement.  That is a much more efficient way to train.

2015-01-12 9:03 AM
in reply to: luvschips

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by luvschips

Scott - I must admit. My eyes glaze over when I have to start calculating stuff and all (kind of takes the joy out of all this lol) but I am going to calculate my STP on Tuesday. I know it said I need a helper but I can only get a lane at 4 am and none of my friends would want to help me, lol. So is it pointless to try and do this on my own? 

Jo,

Not you don't absolutely have to have a helper.  Having someone to time you frees you up to give a maximum effort.  Without the helper, your time may be off by a second or two.  In the big picture, that is not going to be that big a deal.

Like you, there are a lot of people that don't like to get into the calculations and thinking things through as it takes some of the fun out of it - it kind of makes it work.

This is one of those things that is worth doing.  By knowing your threshold pace you can train effectively.  Many people spend hours training ineffectively in the pool because they don't swim at the proper pace.  They swim too slow, which does nothing, or they swim too fast, which is training a system that a triathlete is never going to use.

If you want you can post the times up here and I will run through the calculations and it can become a bit of a learning experience for everyone.  Then we can take your STP and develop target training paces that will be effective in training.

2015-01-12 9:13 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Question: how do you learn what gear you should be in? I was told to always be in my little ring but a lot of times I am pedaling furiously and it's super awkward. Also, how do you hand hills? Not super sharp gains in elevation but gradual incline (300 ft over .5 mile) and then down. I rode part of Palos Verdes and I didn't know quite what to do. It's pretty much up and down.

Jo,

I am almost the exact opposite, I am rarely in my small chain ring.  There is a cadence, how quickly you are pedaling, that will be optimal and most efficient for you.  The "experts" all say that is around the 85-95 RPM range.  , Some people have a higher cadence, some people have a lower cadence - but the average is right there around 90.  That would be a good place to start.  You can get a cadence sensor that will pair with your watch so you can see what your cadence is.  Select the gear that has you in that target range and go from there.

2015-01-12 9:15 AM
in reply to: AussieTurtle

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by AussieTurtle

I got my X ray results back and I'm pleased to report it's soft tissue only, no surgery required. I'll be running again in 6 weeks if my recovery goes to plan. I've had a major shift if my approach the last few days. Rather than dwelling on what I can't do I'm focusing on what I can do. Lots of swimming planned over the coming weeks. This should be beneficial as it is my weakest discipline.

Rod,

Glad to hear you're on the road to recovery.  I love the attitude - when life gives you lemons, you make lemonade!  Improving your swim will prove to be the silver lining in all of this.

2015-01-12 9:47 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by k9car363

If posting your weight will help motivate you, then by all means, put your weight up.  As for me, my computer would break if I tried to enter that big a number!

Scott this is exactly why I posted my weight. It does motivate me so I put it out there.

I played a little boil the frog on a spin bike this morning. I did my normal warm up and then to my typical resistance. Then every five minutes I increased the resistance half a turn. I managed to keep that up for a 45 minute workout. Then on to the treadmill for 15 minutes which has been my routine. And finally, only because of the challenge, I did a quick circuit of upper body work on the weight machines.

If I can sneak it in, I may try to hit the pool for a few minutes at lunch.
2015-01-12 10:23 AM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: Weight Loss Challenge
Official weigh in this morning.

That's only 17.5 pounds above my race weight from last year (pre-crash).

Looks like the brownie/cookie diet worked its magic.

Steve
2015-01-12 10:44 AM

User image

Regular

THANKS!

Hey Donna:

I agree with Scott. The spin cadence should be relatively constant, shifting gears depending on terrain to maintain a steady rotation. The 85-95 rate Scott mentioned seems to be the accepted range. For me, I'm pretty comfortable in the 85-90 range. Above that feels a little fast to maintain for a longer ride.

Yesterday I did 2 hours 20 minutes on my indoor trainer. I ended up at 85 rpm for the ride. I did a series of 10 minute intervals with added resistance gradually added on each interval to push my HR to Z3 and Z4 followed by Z2 recovery. The RPM rate changed very little despite the harder effort. My spin was really only slower during standing segments to give my butt a break.

With regard to spin classes, you can argue both ways. I've done spin classes that absolutely kicked my . A strong leader combined with the group dynamic was a terrific combination. And if it allows you to get in a solid workout on a bike that you might otherwise miss, so much the better. The downside to me is not being able to train on YOUR bike...unless it's a class where you bring your bike and set it up on trainers. I firmly believe in specificity--training time spent on activities that mimic race requirements are superior to training activities that are only similar. Hence, riding my TT bike indoors on the trainer is better than riding a generic spin bike in a class...especially in helping adjust to riding in the aero position.

Steve

Edited by lutzman 2015-01-12 10:47 AM
2015-01-12 11:02 AM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Rod, so glad it is soft tissue and no surgery! As far as lemons go, make margaritas!

Good Luck!
karl

2015-01-12 11:57 AM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: Weight Loss Challenge
Official weigh-in this morning. 212. Which is down 4 from Jan 1st. Like someone said (Scott), "Establishing a baseline number - good, bad, or ugly - is always preferable to not knowing the number." 216 was ugly. So, I'm somewhere less than ugly now :-) 216 was the heaviest I've been since my heavy stress days that got me started in triathlons... what do those two times in my life have in common - lawyers (or the need for them). No offense intended to any lawyers in the group (Randy). Thanks to the group in advance for helping me stay accountable. Goals are under 206 by March 1, 195 by June 1st.

Late lunch swim for me in a bit. Gotta wait until the water classes are done!

Stu

2015-01-12 1:29 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia

THANKS!

I do spin classes in the winter for bike training - at least until I can reclaim my bike trainer space at home. I like the social element, especially b/c most of my outdoor biking / running is solo. A few thoughts:

1) There are spin class teachers who are cyclists and there are spin class teacher who would rather be teaching aerobics. Try to find the cyclists. It's taken me awhile, but I've found a few who do a really well thought out road cycle based workout. Good music helps too :-)

2) All spin bikes aren't the same. Some seem much more suited to cycling than others.

3) Make sure to do a good job getting the fit right on the spin bike (presuming they are adjustable). Poor fit can do more harm than good.

Stu
2015-01-12 8:50 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Jo,

Donna and Jo,

Sorry, I had just looked at Jo's post and then responded to Donna's post and there is a reason I am in the Gray Guys/Girls group . . . cause I'm an old guy!

Sorry about mixing your names up!

2015-01-13 1:49 PM

User image

Establishing a baseline number - good, bad, or ugly - is always preferable to not knowing the number. 

Now you know, you aren't guessing any more, and now you can objectively see improvement.  That is a much more efficient way to train.

Thanks Scott,

Yes, I'm fine with it. I expected my FTP to be low - I'm a terrible hill climber. I'm hoping that training with virtual power on TrainerRoad (TR) will help me improve. It will definitely increase my time in the saddle. Riding outside in Seattle this time of year is difficult - unless you enjoy riding in the rain and the dark.

I started Phase I the TR Traditional Base training plan last night. It has three phases of four weeks each - so I'll be doing Base Training for the next 12 weeks. I'm doing the Low Volume plan (3 to 6 hrs/week) because I'd like to do at least one outside ride a week. Riding on the trainer doesn't help my bike handling skills. Here is the TR summary of phase I:

"The primary goal of this phase of training is to develop or improve your aerobic endurance by shifting your body's fuel preference toward fat while working at low intensities; therefore, this training phase consists entirely of Aerobic Endurance (AE) workouts. There is also a heavy emphasis on pedal speed & economy which will be addressed via several different types of drills tied to each workout."

This means long rides at low intensity. Unlike the FTP test, which kept me busy with drills, the ride last night was a little bit boring. I need to try watching some videos during these 1hr to 2hr30min rides. I'm thinking various triathlon YouTube videos (2012 Olympics, Ironman Champs). Any other suggestions for inspirational videos?

Scott I.

-----------------------------------
I have a plan on how to pass that Chihuahua.

2015-01-13 2:35 PM
in reply to: EchoLkScott

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

This means long rides at low intensity. Unlike the FTP test, which kept me busy with drills, the ride last night was a little bit boring. I need to try watching some videos during these 1hr to 2hr30min rides. I'm thinking various triathlon YouTube videos (2012 Olympics, Ironman Champs). Any other suggestions for inspirational videos?

Scott,

Yeah, that's the problem with the trainer - it gets B O R I N G !!!  It will get better when you start adding intensity.  When you get there, TR works with a number of training videos like Sufferfest so that will spice things up.

When I am doing the long slow aerobic base rides I generally put on a series that I like.  We have all the NCIS, West Wing, and Original Star Treks   I have been getting series of some really old shows that take me back to my early teens - Emergency, Sea Hunt, Mash,  just got all the Flintstones so that will be fun to watch. I just run a marathon of something that will break up the monotony.  I generally put on something I have seen before so I don't have to "WATCH" it to enjoy it, that way I can have at least one eye towards what I'm trying to do on the bike.

I'm anxious to hear your overall impressions of Trainer Road.  I have been considering joining for some time.  I much prefer riding outdoors, but I kind of wonder if I am missing a good training opportunity with TR.

2015-01-13 8:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar

Scott,

Yeah, that's the problem with the trainer - it gets B O R I N G !!!  It will get better when you start adding intensity.  When you get there, TR works with a number of training videos like Sufferfest so that will spice things up.

When I am doing the long slow aerobic base rides I generally put on a series that I like.  We have all the NCIS, West Wing, and Original Star Treks   I have been getting series of some really old shows that take me back to my early teens - Emergency, Sea Hunt, Mash,  just got all the Flintstones so that will be fun to watch. I just run a marathon of something that will break up the monotony.  I generally put on something I have seen before so I don't have to "WATCH" it to enjoy it, that way I can have at least one eye towards what I'm trying to do on the bike.

I'm anxious to hear your overall impressions of Trainer Road.  I have been considering joining for some time.  I much prefer riding outdoors, but I kind of wonder if I am missing a good training opportunity with TR.

I love TR, I watch some sports or a series, I find that it is so much better than just riding on the trainer, there is usually something that breaks up the rides, a bump in power a decrease, just something to focus on for the next few minutes. It just seems so much easier to me than when I just got on the trainer and would grind out as long as I could at whatever level I felt like that day. With the weather nowhere near outside riding temps, 4F on my run tonight, it's the only way to get some rides in.

Dan
2015-01-13 10:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Scott - You're really talking some good TV viewing there.  Emergency and Sea Hunt were top notch.  I also used to like Tugboat Annie and I'd like to find/copy "The Silent Service" (about the US submarine service in WWII).  I watched it in the 50's but I recently found a book on the submariners and thought I'd like to see it again.

Just to mention one more.  Did you ever watch Riverboat with Darren McGavin and Burt Reynolds?  I got to stay up an extra half hour to watch it.  Not sure why but I always liked Darren McGavin (The Night Stalker!).  Sorry, I didn't mean to get carried away.

Had a good weigh in today and knocked off a slow modest run and then a nice bike/trainer ride.  I'm going to sleep well tonight.  Our local weather forecasters are calling for +5C/41F this Friday and Saturday so I'm going to hit the hills for some repeats outside.  Can't wait to get away from the trainer.

Edited by wenceslasz 2015-01-13 10:22 PM
2015-01-14 7:25 AM
in reply to: Mountaindan

User image

Originally posted by Mountaindan

I love TR, I watch some sports or a series, I find that it is so much better than just riding on the trainer, there is usually something that breaks up the rides, a bump in power a decrease, just something to focus on for the next few minutes. It just seems so much easier to me than when I just got on the trainer and would grind out as long as I could at whatever level I felt like that day. With the weather nowhere near outside riding temps, 4F on my run tonight, it's the only way to get some rides in.

Dan

Yes, even the Aerobic Endurance rides are more interesting than just riding the trainer for a couple hours. They change intensities every 20 minutes or so, and have you practice spinning up to a high cadence in an easy gear (stay aerobic). As Scott K. said, it will be a lot more interesting when they start adding higher-intensity intervals.

Do you use one of the TR training plans, or just do you build your own training plan from the workout library?

If you use one of the TR plans, how do you weave in the outdoor rides when the weather permits? Do you stick with the TR plan and increase your volume that week, or drop the workout most similar to your outdoor ride?

Thanks!
Scott I.

2015-01-14 3:16 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Regular
Originally posted by wenceslasz

Scott - You're really talking some good TV viewing there.  Emergency and Sea Hunt were top notch.  I also used to like Tugboat Annie and I'd like to find/copy "The Silent Service" (about the US submarine service in WWII).  I watched it in the 50's but I recently found a book on the submariners and thought I'd like to see it again.

Just to mention one more.  Did you ever watch Riverboat with Darren McGavin and Burt Reynolds?  I got to stay up an extra half hour to watch it.  Not sure why but I always liked Darren McGavin (The Night Stalker!).  Sorry, I didn't mean to get carried away.

Had a good weigh in today and knocked off a slow modest run and then a nice bike/trainer ride.  I'm going to sleep well tonight.  Our local weather forecasters are calling for +5C/41F this Friday and Saturday so I'm going to hit the hills for some repeats outside.  Can't wait to get away from the trainer.

I found the House of Cards series on Netflix to be a fabulous distraction while on the indoor trainer.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 52

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open