BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-01-12 2:38 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

New user
Madrid
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business
Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

More than anything, this year is about recovery, and finding the job and happiness I had before everything started going crazy in June 2014. The only thing that held me together from June through September was my family and IMWI, and when IMWI ended, I fell apart. Now is the time to put back the pieces.

Charles, wish 2015 means a big change! You are pretty lucky to live in a country where you can change jobs twice or thrice in less than a couple months (Europe is suffering in that matter, specially is you are in your 40´s), so toast to the ones who have a job! (if it is a good one, then double toast!).
Does finishing your A race of the year let you a bit depressed? It took me a while to go back to train after my Oly last October...

Finally went to the pool this morning, I don´t come from a swimming background, and don´t like it much in cold weather (well, should watch my language here specially for those of you in Ontario), but got 1300m in half an hour, and felt much better afterwards. Will focus on 4 runs, 2 bikes, 1 swim per week.

2015-01-12 2:53 PM
in reply to: #5082415

User image

, Connecticut
So I'm planning to do some sprint triathlons this summer. It seems early to start "training" if my first race is late may/June. Aside from staying healthy and building endurance, should I be doing more? I figure my really training will begin next month, does that seem right?
2015-01-12 4:01 PM
in reply to: thor67

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Originally posted by thor67

Originally posted by Syndiethea
Originally posted by b2b14
Originally posted by cwpeters I think I earned a CLP yesterday. I had to cover a boys soccer game, in addition to teaching I am also an Athletic Trainer and provide medical coverage to our student athletes. I know it's a weak excuse, but after sitting in 40 degree weather for 3 hours, all I wanted to do was hop in the hot tub. So I "switched" my off day. May have to sub an old Bud Light until I can pick up a pack of punishment beer. Tonight I refereed my oldest son's basketball game and rearranged my boy's playroom so I can set up the bike trainer. I'm heading in there now for a 30 minute spin. Chris
I don't think switching a day off counts for the CLP unless you still keep your original day off, in which case it is less switching and more skipping Cynthia- we had PT's come into work and do a strength training study that included body fat and weight. We lifted 4 times a week pretty heavy 5-8 reps with little to no cadio. Everyone went up in weight but down in body fat. I guess my point is for body comp strength training is very important so don't leave that aspect outf. With the endurance coming from rbs I would do low reps with high weight (for you don't hurt yourself) to build new muscle.
I hear ya! I use yoga for strength training right now; that may sound weird but lifting my own body weight has helped me get some gains in muscle mass. I don't have much muscle mass but more than I ever had before. It works for me now since I get bored at the gym. It may not work as well as I get stronger and as more lean muscle develops and fat dissipates. Then I may need to get back to the gym. Spent 8 years married to a competitive body builder who weighed 280 but had 4% body fat when he won Mr. San Diego. Hardest 8 years of my life! Still married to him but now he plays Jazz guitar and is on a steady diet of coffee, donuts and chips.

Donuts and coffee, like beer is a food group...let him be...

Ha ha ooh I let him b for sure! He never said a word to me when I was overweight and loved me the same so I wouldn't think of it! ANNNND... He also is the real beer drinker !
2015-01-12 4:18 PM
in reply to: Smiley9188

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, Nebraska
Originally posted by Smiley9188

So I'm planning to do some sprint triathlons this summer. It seems early to start "training" if my first race is late may/June. Aside from staying healthy and building endurance, should I be doing more? I figure my really training will begin next month, does that seem right?

I only think it's too early to start "training" if you think you will burn yourself out. I also think that the sooner you start, the better you will be on race day!

Personally, I need structure and variety. I re-evaluated my 'plan' today. I am going to shoot for my first tri of the year, being olympic distance, at the end of July. 28wks away. I have added on to the 20wk Olympic plan (2x balanced) to give me a 28wk plan. Starts tomorrow.

Run:
I feel like the c25k plan is really holding me back. I have felt like going longer every single time I go out. So, I'm scrapping it, and going by feel with time involved. I will still keep the run/walk going, on the long run days.
Bike:
No problems there...other than boredom!

Swim:
We'll see tomorrow. I don't anticipate any issues.
2015-01-12 4:20 PM
in reply to: mirthfuldragon

User image

Expert
Originally posted by mirthfuldragon

I'm a bit late to the party, but oh well.

NAME: Charles

FAMILY STATUS: Happily married, no children.

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm trying to get back into the grove so I'm currently training around 5 hours per week.

RACES PLANNED FOR 15: Keeping it flexibile for for now.

BEER PREFERENCE: I will drink just about anything but my favorite styles are saison, gueuze, and IPA. I also make beer, and just brewed a saison porter that I'm hoping will motivate me heading into the new year.

WEIGHT LOSS: In 2008, I was at 296; in May of 2014, I saw 172, and now I'm sitting at 206.

STORY: 2015 will be my third season of triathlon; 2013 was my first sprint and olympic, and 2014 features a pair of half-distance races, a for-fun sprint, and a capstone at Ironman Wisconsin, where I finished in 15:30. 2014 is a year I'm glad is over, despite running IMWI. I lost one job in May, picked up another that was such a mess that I jumped again to my current job in less than 60 days; my current job is almost as bad, and the commute sucks, and there doesn't seem to be any major relieve in sight.

This winter has been bad for me emotionally; December was a bad month, and how can you have a bad month with Christmas and NYE, and plus a week in Cozumel, Mexico? It's not something to be proud of, trust me. 2014 is over, and I'm still standing, and that's all that matters.

Right now, the whole point is to get back to doing something that resembles training. I joined a cycling club, and my goal is not to get dropped from the B group on the first ride. That may be a little high of a goal - some of those guys are monsters.

Triathlon-wise, so much of it depends on money and jobs and all the other junk; none of my races should sell out, so the calendar is solidly in pencil. I'm thinking Rev3 Knoxville since i have family nearby, and then Racine 70.3 and Steelhead 70.3 since I have friends running those, and then, maybe, just maybe, Ironman Cozumel in November - my Moo-dot tattoo could use a whale shark companion

More than anything, this year is about recovery, and finding the job and happiness I had before everything started going crazy in June 2014. The only thing that held me together from June through September was my family and IMWI, and when IMWI ended, I fell apart. Now is the time to put back the pieces.

A huge welcome to you Charles! We each have our gifts and not only is Charles a nice guy (we did Rev3 Quassy) - but he is one of the smartest people we have in our group. His knowledge of bikes is pretty extensive. For those of you who have been in the group the last couple of years - you know what an asset he is! So, please welcome him home!

2015 will be better Charles!
2015-01-12 4:26 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Moonrocket

DQ I need a kick in the pants! I would like to join the 4 workout challenge with Justin this week as well.

If you are willing to do the work - I welcome you with open arms. But know this - if I end up drinking a Coors Lite and watching the Pats win on the same day, I will go insane!

Let's do the work!

2015-01-12 4:32 PM
in reply to: 87stax

User image

Expert
Originally posted by 87stax

Hey DQ,

you still got some places left to join? Will post a bio if you do.

Cheers!

Always! But you need to promise us two things:

1) You won't quit - you'll need to stick it out until the next groups start in Mid April (you can stay as long as you want. I've been trying to kick Thor, my favorite Molson chugging Canuck out for years and he's still here)

2) You'll support the others in the group.

That's all I ask. Damn glad to have you!
2015-01-12 4:35 PM
in reply to: Tylily

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Tylily

I'm tardy to the party but is there any chance you have room for one more? Pretty please? The next round can be on me!
I'll post a full bio if you say yes!

Be careful what you promise. My in-laws live in Fredericksburg and I'm more than happy to drive for free beer!

Seriously - if you will stick around for this round (now until spring) and will support those in the group - then you are more than welcome!
2015-01-12 4:46 PM

User image

New user
Madrid

Colleen, it is never too early to start formall training. Most triathlon plans are 16 to 20 weeks, but you can start to get ready for "formal" training before. I am doing a Half at the end of May, officially start training with this goal in mind and a specific plan mid Feb, but because I tend to burn out quickly signed up for half marathon Feb 1st. So I hope this will give me enough endurance to start the HIM plan while refreshing my brain due to the change in activities. So if you already have a date for your race, enjoy the ride!
2015-01-12 4:49 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Veteran
Lincoln, Nebraska
Can we talk nutrition for a bit?

I'm curious what works for those that are concentrating on weight loss.

I'm totally guilty of "cheating" lately. I just need to plan my meals better. I'm all ears for some good recipe outlets!

-5th
2015-01-12 5:59 PM
in reply to: Juancho

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Juancho

Colleen, it is never too early to start formall training. Most triathlon plans are 16 to 20 weeks, but you can start to get ready for "formal" training before. I am doing a Half at the end of May, officially start training with this goal in mind and a specific plan mid Feb, but because I tend to burn out quickly signed up for half marathon Feb 1st. So I hope this will give me enough endurance to start the HIM plan while refreshing my brain due to the change in activities. So if you already have a date for your race, enjoy the ride!

I totally agree with this- I guess it depends on your fitness level now- but I'm starting with really low fitness this year and just started a training plan for an end of May Xterra that is just over sprint length. It's also a good time to work on your weak leg. I think you're fine if you start next month too- but I agree it's never too early to start.

2015-01-12 6:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Qua17

DQ I need a kick in the pants! I would like to join the 4 workout challenge with Justin this week as well.

If you are willing to do the work - I welcome you with open arms. But know this - if I end up drinking a Coors Lite and watching the Pats win on the same day, I will go insane!

Let's do the work!

That's salt in some fresh Broncos wounds...

I got my first workout of my new training plan in. I'm a little too excited about my 1.1 mile run :-) But I did do a long warm up and cool down and lift some weights to make sure I well past the 20 minute barrier. It's actually the long run for the week. I figured psychologically I'd knock out the long one first so the 0.9 mile one would seem easier.

Let's do this!
2015-01-12 6:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Great to see an active group staying involved. Best way to stay accountable!

Dragged my butt out for a run this morning on the track. With the gym now opening at 5am, I was planning a hot tub after. Very busy so I took the plunge and swam 600 meters...been about 7 months since I swam laps I think. I just about died. My triceps were crying.

Either my jeans stretched or I have a lost a few pounds as they seem to be not quite so tight!

Have a great day everyone!

Nice workout Thor!

Any tips on how you got the jeans loose? Mine are feeling a little tight :-)
2015-01-12 6:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

If you are looking for gains, I think you are better off going with two days. That being said, don't you come from a swim background??

As far as following a program, I think the for sprint and OLY training you can get away the loosey goosey approach...I know I have.  With IM and HIM, I think you need to be more accountable to your schedule in order not to burn out on some training...

Originally posted by fifthcircle NICE! I'm excited to start my swimming again. I tried on my jammers from a few years back. LOLOLOLOL!!!!!! Ordered a new pair.
Yikes, I think I may be the same with my swimsuit! I just created a training plan and have a question on how people follow them. I'm usually pretty loose about just trying to get all of the workouts in for a week- and not sticking to which day they are on at all. In the beginning the swim distances are really short- is it cheating to if there is a 600 yard day and an 800 yard day to just go to the pool once a week and knock out 1400? I think this is going to be my plan- since swimming of all of the sports takes so much time to do by the time you get to the pool etc.

I tend to use my training program as a worst case boundary. I have to do that- but often feel like more. Other than running- I rarely feel like running more.

I did swim through college- so that's my easiest leg. I usually don't start going twice a week til it's warm enough to do one at the lake. My first race this year is earlier than usual so I'll have to jump to 2X/ week at the pool at some point. I usually start masters after a few weeks of warm up and my plan doesn't hit higher yardage than 1 master's session until wk 14. I don't want to wait that long for 2x/ weeks though. Hopefully my new job will kick in soon and I will have Fridays off which will make getting to the pool easier.
2015-01-12 8:50 PM
in reply to: #5082683

User image

, Connecticut
DQ, I haven't done a bio like the others but have given you my scoop, at least I think I have. Do you want more from me? I need to figure out how to also make a signature so you know who i am. Do you want anything specific listed in the signature to keep track of us?
2015-01-12 8:52 PM
in reply to: #5082683

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Looks like everyone has been busy posting today! Great job everyone!

I may have gone a little overboard on my workouts today. I did four. So, I'm at 12 for the year. I did a trainer ride this morning before heading to the airport (already posted about that one, but mistakenly called it workout #8 for the year, it is #9, not that anyone is counting but me!). Then, at both airports I walked for over 30 minutes carrying my briefcase, which weighs 20# easy (shhhh...don't tell the airlines!)--10 & 11. The hotel has a pretty nice fitness center, and after sitting in the car, at the airport, on planes, and in the hotel shuttle, I needed to move! I did a nice little 2.25 mile jog around the 16lap=mile "track" above the basketball court--#12.

As for training plans, I tend to take them as gospel, when I'm working out. If I'm on a consistent roll, I will nail every workout no matter what it takes or how beat I am--I tend to be all or nothing in a lot of things. Missing even one workout can send me into a stretch of no workouts, so I try to avoid that if at all possible.

2015-01-12 9:23 PM

Thanks DQ! Count me in.

NAME: DJ

STORY: Live in Wellington, New Zealand (craft beer capital). Completed a couple of sprint tri's in 2013 & 2014, found it a really good way to stay focused on training instead of rewarding myself with a beer for doing nothing! Keen to continue training and looking to step up to Olympic distance this year. Don't know anyone here into tri, so decided to join this group to get some advice and support.

FAMILY STATUS: Live with my lovely partner Winnie and our brilliant wee boy Kyden (2).

CURRENT TRAINING: Just got back in to training after an hiatus in December. Training in the open water as it's summer here. 2x run, bike & swim per week.

2015 RACES: Looking to complete my first Olympic within the first half of the year - hoping to head to Rarotonga in May (as it will be winter here and no tris to compete in). Want to complete at least one sprint and one more olympic at the end of the year once summer rolls back round again.

BEER PREFERENCE: I enjoy a variety of beers, getting into dark beers quite a bit, porters, stouts, black IPAs.... But pretty much anything packing a flavour punch, nothing out of a green bottle!!

WEIGHT LOSS: Looking to lose around 10kg of excess at the moment.

Looking forward to being part of the team!
2015-01-13 3:20 AM
in reply to: #5082813

And just been reading some of the earlier posts and thought I should mention that despite being a Kiwi, I enjoy American sports and am a big 'skins and Lakers fan (sucks to be me right now)!
2015-01-13 6:59 AM
in reply to: #5082860

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Welcome DJ!!

I'm up early and fit in a 45min stationary bike ride (ugh) at the hotel fitness center. It was so different in that normally I'm the only one in the gym at hotels and today there were probably 30 people. Of course, most hotel fitness centers are a treadmill, a recumbent bike, and maybe an old broken down universal weight machine. Good way to start the morning! 13/400 for the year!

2015-01-13 7:18 AM

User image

Fairfax, VA
Bronze member

Can I jump in on this late?

NAME: Jen

STORY:  I've been doing triathlons for awhile, but took a 3 year hiatus and just started back up in 2014.  I joined a triathlon team (with coach) and had a goal to do (attempt) Ironman before I turn 40, so this is my last chance....

FAMILY STATUS: 38 years old, live in Fairfax, VA, single, no children (except animals).

CURRENT TRAINING:  Ramping up again after a slightly lazy off-season, swimming twice a week, biking twice a week (even tried my first winter outdoor ride!) and run/walking 3-4 times per week.

2014 RACES:  A bunch, 3 triathlons (though swim was canceled in one), open water swims - all my race reports are on my blog:  http://jengottatri.blogspot.com

2015 RACES:
- Charlottesville Half Marathon
- Kinetic Half Aqua-Bike
- Eagleman 70.3
- Swim for Life 2.4mi
- Challenge/Rev3 Poconos Half
- Ironman Maryland

BEER PREFERENCE: I hate beer, but have been loving cider lately... and wine!

WEIGHT LOSS:  I'm working with a nutritionist and hoping to get down at least 30 more over the next 6 months.

2015-01-13 8:15 AM
in reply to: fifthcircle

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by fifthcircle Can we talk nutrition for a bit? I'm curious what works for those that are concentrating on weight loss. I'm totally guilty of "cheating" lately. I just need to plan my meals better. I'm all ears for some good recipe outlets! -5th

I like this website for recipes:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/

Planning is key! Find a website or app the tracks calories. I try to put all my meals/ snacks in the app in the a.m. I know exactly where I stand. I also only eat back half my exercise calories burned as I find the apps/websites are high.

Good luck!

2015-01-13 8:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by 87stax And just been reading some of the earlier posts and thought I should mention that despite being a Kiwi, I enjoy American sports and am a big 'skins and Lakers fan (sucks to be me right now)!
What!! Go All blacks!

2015-01-13 8:20 AM
in reply to: jenstewey

User image

Welcome everyone!

I def owe a clp. missed a 7 mile run sunday b/c I spent most of the day fixing busted pipes from the well at my family lake house. then missed today due to a schedule change. Leaving Friday for half marathon.

2015-01-13 8:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Originally posted by Smiley9188 DQ, I haven't done a bio like the others but have given you my scoop, at least I think I have. Do you want more from me? I need to figure out how to also make a signature so you know who i am. Do you want anything specific listed in the signature to keep track of us?

Copy and paste the bio page(change contents of course...). Add your first name. The more connection we all make the more accountable we feel to each other. I have lost count how many times I have been in this group. It becomes like a second family! All I know is some weeks I think David is a closet warm coors light lover!

2015-01-13 8:44 AM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

New user
Calgary, Alberta
Up and at it for a swim this morning. 1000 m. But for me slow almost 3 min per 100 m. I am going to blame it on the uperbody workout yesterday One of the other fitness goals I have this year is to be able to complete 5 pull-ups unassisted. I have been using a machine at the gym which asssts with force on your knees.

I hope everyone in our group sticks to their goals but I will be happy when some of the "Resolutioners" clear out LOL. Seriously in the fall I was contending with only 1 or 2 other people in a lane. This morning I was one of 6 in the lane at one point! I like to share and actually everyone had great etiquette this morning but It is difficult when you are doing intervals or any types of drills where your speed isn't necessarily constant. Like other members in the north outside swimming isn’t possible for much of the year.

For good recipes look for the Looney Spoons cookbooks. (or check out their website for freebies) I will warn the recipes aren't always simple but I have yet to dislike one when I followed the recipe. http://janetandgreta.com/cookbooks/
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 57536 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.