BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 48

2019-02-07 5:15 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Subject: RE: Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open
Originally posted by nicole14e

To be honest, I've never really worked out in an LCM pool. I think if it's giving you timed intervals to hit, you could use a conversion tool like this one (https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/time-conversion) to figure out what your time should be. I think that would work. I've always swam short course, so have never had to make that adjustment.

Has anyone else had to make this adjustment? Riles, if you try this, let me know how it goes/if it was helpful!

Thanks, I'll try it. I've been just finishing the 50 when I end up with an odd 25. I'm going to be starting a training plan, and looking at the swim workouts, there's a couple that will have a lot of extra 25s.

My pool has a bulkhead, I think they set up a couple of 25m lanes on the other side. I've just never seen anyone using them. I'll ask next time I'm there.

2019-02-07 8:21 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Got in a spin class yesterday and a 30’ trainer ride today. The plan was to run after but time ran out and had to get the kiddos at school. Played around a little on the Kick’r. I need to make a choice on an app for this thing.. but I leave in 1.5 weeks for 6 more weeks of training so I kind of want to wait until I get back. Freezing rain right now. Pretty awful out. I hear just south of here you guys are getting some really nice late spring temperatures! Good for you! Enjoy it! Gretchen, nice finish! Nicole, congrats on those pounds! Hey all you Pats fans.. yeah, baby!

Hey Jenn - I read this the other day, thought it was pretty informative on the indoor cycling apps

https://road.cc/content/feature/255118-13-best-indoor-cycling-apps-all-you-need-find-right-one-you-what-they-do-what

And YEAH on #6!!  I know for most people it was boring, and not the desired outcome.  But seriously we haven't put up a defensive masterpiece like that since the first one in February 2002.  

2019-02-07 9:47 AM
in reply to: riles32807

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by riles32807

To be honest, I've never really worked out in an LCM pool. I think if it's giving you timed intervals to hit, you could use a conversion tool like this one (https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/time-conversion) to figure out what your time should be. I think that would work. I've always swam short course, so have never had to make that adjustment.

Has anyone else had to make this adjustment? Riles, if you try this, let me know how it goes/if it was helpful!

Thanks, I'll try it. I've been just finishing the 50 when I end up with an odd 25. I'm going to be starting a training plan, and looking at the swim workouts, there's a couple that will have a lot of extra 25s.

My pool has a bulkhead, I think they set up a couple of 25m lanes on the other side. I've just never seen anyone using them. I'll ask next time I'm there.

Ohh I see what you mean, it's telling you to do 25s or 75s or something. Yeah I think just finishing out the 50 is probably your best bet. And then maybe doing one or two less intervals if it seems like a lot.
2019-02-07 9:49 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Got in about 2300 yds this morning. My arms were dead from boot camp (as expected) and were fatiguing very quickly. IM stuff felt okay since the motion changed, but doing 75s of freestyle was exhausting!

Now I have a weird, migraine-like headache (or what I imagine a migraine feels like, as I've never had one) in my right temple. Blinking hurts. Moving hurts. My neck is tight so I'm wondering if it's somehow related to that.
2019-02-07 10:39 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Originally posted by riles32807

Is your pool 25m long? My comments were based on my pool, which is set up at 50m on MWF mornings and 25yds all other times. That's why I was saying not to do a lot of 25s when you are in the meter set up--you end up in the middle of the pool!

Oh...and I did forget to mention that the first few times you swim in meters, everything is going to feel weird and you will likely feel like you will never get to the end of the pool!! the difference isn't big, but it really seems that way sometimes.
Ohh I see what you mean, it's telling you to do 25s or 75s or something. Yeah I think just finishing out the 50 is probably your best bet. And then maybe doing one or two less intervals if it seems like a lot.
2019-02-07 10:41 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
1:45 on the trainer today. Ugh. I can't wait for spring!! It was all 65-75% FTP, so not super hard, but just sitting on that saddle for that long was painful. I've been testing this saddle for three weeks now--3-4 rides per week of at least an hour each (max 1:45). When can I justifiably say it just doesn't work for me? If the bike shop wasn't 2.5 hour away, I'd probably have already called it quits.

2019-02-07 10:57 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by drfoodlove 1:45 on the trainer today. Ugh. I can't wait for spring!! It was all 65-75% FTP, so not super hard, but just sitting on that saddle for that long was painful. I've been testing this saddle for three weeks now--3-4 rides per week of at least an hour each (max 1:45). When can I justifiably say it just doesn't work for me? If the bike shop wasn't 2.5 hour away, I'd probably have already called it quits.

Gretchen - having this same debate myself.  As near as I can tell from research, unless you're new to riding or are riding without padded shorts, a saddle shouldn't hurt if it's the right one.  If you're new to riding (or back after a long break off) it might take a couple weeks to get used to it again but you've been on longer than that.  

The right saddle shouldn't feel like you're sitting on a couch comfy either - it should just disappear when you're riding.  One thing that I have read that does make sense to me, the trainer will always be more of an issue than actually riding, because the bike doesn't move at all.  

I wish you the best of luck in finding it because I know the great saddle search can rage on for some of us, while for others it seems like they can just ride on whatever and have no issues.

I've got one saddle that doesn't cause me butt pain, but no matter where I adjust it fore-aft, I slide forward on it.  I've got another that, after doing the Fizik spine concept thing, got the appropriate Fizik saddle for me (chamelon).  I went through the bike fit steps to get the height and fore/aft positioning down.  I don't slide forward (yay) but after 45 minutes my butt is killing me (boo).  

I have one more saddle to try in my possession that's more of a wedge shape, so it still offers the central channel relief but also supports the ischial tuberosity without having to be so wide that you get leg chafing.  Going to swap it out today.  Wish me luck....because if it doesn't work out I'm back to the ol' drawing board....

2019-02-07 12:28 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
John--have you had a saddle specific fitting? When I did my tri bike fitting in August, they had me up on a dummy bike with a quick release for the saddle. The fitter just had me stand up for a second for him to swap saddles, and then sit. It was a lot like the eye doctor, where I just told him which I liked better the first or second...then on down the line. It was maybe 30' total and in the end he came up with a progression of saddles I might like based on my preferences. Okay...so, grain of salt here though, because I'm now on my third in that line and can't go more than 45' without pain. I'm going to try to get to the shop soon to get the next in the line saddle. *sigh* I wish I could go back to my old noseless saddle on my road bike. It is super comfy!
2019-02-07 1:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

DeLand, Florida

Damn it all - had a whole reply written up, then somehow inadvertently opened Chrome's html editor (how does that happen!!) and lost the whole thing.

I haven't done a saddle specific fitting, no.  Wyhen I did my fitting on the bike when it was new we didn't get into parts changing much, besides stem length.  I've been taking this upon myself mostly for economic reasons.  Do research on a saddle type that might work, scour ebay until I find a new leftover or gently used example, buy and try.  If I knew I could go to a shop, get fitted, and buy one $100-150 saddle, it might be just as expensive in the long run as the route I'm going.  But if I had to get more than one, then it's a lot tougher a proposition.

I'm going to give this next ebay saddle a shot (Bontrager Hilo), and possibly one more, then I'll bite the proverbial bullet and find a shop.  More than likely one of the Orlando area ones Riles was referring to, as my local shop (while fantastic) doesn't have much in the way of parts/accessories.  

Edit - sorry, how come you can't go back to the old noseless saddle on the road bike?  If you have something that works for you...

Edited by firebert 2019-02-07 1:04 PM
2019-02-08 9:41 AM

User image

Originally posted by drfoodlove

Is your pool 25m long? My comments were based on my pool, which is set up at 50m on MWF mornings and 25yds all other times. That's why I was saying not to do a lot of 25s when you are in the meter set up--you end up in the middle of the pool!

Oh...and I did forget to mention that the first few times you swim in meters, everything is going to feel weird and you will likely feel like you will never get to the end of the pool!! the difference isn't big, but it really seems that way sometimes.

I just checked their website and the pool is 70 meters x 25 yards, the bulkhead is at 50 meters. Monday through Thursday it's set up as 25 yards. Friday through Monday it's set up as 50 meters to the bulkhead.

Maybe it's because I've been swimming OWS for a couple of years now, 50m in the pool seems really short to me. I think 25s would feel like bouncing off the walls. Lol.
2019-02-08 5:12 PM
in reply to: #5253131

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
A short run followed by a ladder workout in the pool! It was fun! Or...at least it wasn’t 40x50, which is BORING!

Saddle issue is coming to a head. I think, as John suggested, I’m going to put the noseless saddle from my road bike on my tri bike and see if that helps things out any at all. I can’t keep on this way, that’s for sure. My only concern is that it might affect steering control, but it didn’t seem to on my roadie. I read somewhere that a noseless saddle could make your steering a little twitchy because you do some of your stabilization with your core and the nose helps that.

2019-02-08 7:32 PM

User image

A short run followed by a ladder workout in the pool! It was fun! Or...at least it wasn’t 40x50, which is BORING!

Saddle issue is coming to a head. I think, as John suggested, I’m going to put the noseless saddle from my road bike on my tri bike and see if that helps things out any at all. I can’t keep on this way, that’s for sure. My only concern is that it might affect steering control, but it didn’t seem to on my roadie. I read somewhere that a noseless saddle could make your steering a little twitchy because you do some of your stabilization with your core and the nose helps that.

I haven't gone down the black hole of saddle selection, but I thought I read the noseless saddles were designed for tri/tt bikes.
2019-02-09 4:59 PM
in reply to: #5255203

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hour run cut short to 36’ after both mine and the dog’s light harnesses died. It was 6am and pitch black. When the second harness went out I booked it home for safety. I don’t want to get hit by a car—there are zero street lights where I live.

Then, spent the day fixing things around the house with my Dad. Fun times and I learn a lot, even if we do drink a handle of bourbon a day while doing it!!
2019-02-10 5:57 PM
in reply to: #5255220

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
1:10 on the trainer after moving concrete all weekend. I.am.tired. T.I.R.E.D. There should be a 20' run today too, but it is sleeting here today. No treadmill=no run when it is slick outside. Alas.
2019-02-10 7:17 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

That's the worst.  My gym membership was great for both the pool and the treadmill access, because northern winter throw too much slippery stuff on the ground and eats up too much road going real estate with it to be safe to run...

2019-02-10 7:21 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Loads of walking this weekend, no running.  I did get 1:30 on the trainer today which is a record trainer ride for me.  I swapped the saddle out and, while not 'disappearing' under me the way a 'proper' saddle is supposed to, the Bontrager gave me no pain for 1:30 on the trainer so I'll call that a win.  And that particular example is not only used, but well loved.  My daughter asked me 'daddy why is your seat yellow?'.  It's white.  But on a white bike, it's age is showing haha.

Also finally swapped my road wheel out for the trainer wheel, which is embarrassing because the road wheel now has a flat spot on the tire from the trainer

Next up is learning how to wrap handlebar tape.

2019-02-10 8:26 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Sunday I ran the 3rd race of my 5 race half marathon summer series. The Coatesville Half Marathon. This isn't a goal race for me, I entered the series as regular events help with my motivation to train, so I was treating it as a catered training run.

This race is one of, if not the hilliest half marathons in NZ, with over 300m (1000ft) of climbing. And its close to the height of summer here at the moment, so it was also likely to be a hot one.

So I went in with what I hoped were realistic goals and plans.

My plan:
I intended to use a nominal 3min:2min run:walk system, but accept that hills are my nemesis and take some extended walk breaks up the climbs, but to counter that I planned to run through some walk breaks on the flats and descents, depending on how good I was feeling. I really wanted to make sure that I didn't totally bonk (as I did in my last HM in December) because the last 3km is all down hill so there was an opportunity there to make up some time. I also brought some gels with me to get some calories into me in the 2nd half of the run to help with the bonking.

My goals:
1. Accept my current fitness level and pace appropriately - finish strong
2. Show some improvement in my fitness from races 1 and 2
3. Sub 3 hours (PB is 2:03:xx, sent many years ago. PB since fatherhood is 3:07:42)

The Race:
Honestly, it went pretty much as well as it could have. I pretty much stuck to the plan laid out above, maybe walked a little too much up the climbs, but had enough left in the tank to ditch the walk breaks completely for the last 4km. I took gels at 1:15, 1:45 and 2:15, and despite being slow, I felt I was pacing within my abilities and felt strong throughout. The last 1/4 of the run was my fastest, and for a change instead of being the one doing a death march I was able to overtake quite a few people in the last 4-5km... which is way more fun.

The end result was 2 hours 58 minutes and 40 seconds. Which I am very pleased with. There is still a long way to go to get back to fitness, but I can see some very clear progress, which I was not seeing at the end of last year. On to race 4 in 5 weeks, and race 5, my first targeted event of the year, in April.
2019-02-10 8:49 PM

User image

1:10 on the trainer after moving concrete all weekend. I.am.tired. T.I.R.E.D. There should be a 20' run today too, but it is sleeting here today. No treadmill=no run when it is slick outside. Alas.

Uugh! Sleet should just be illegal. I was at Anne Marie Island this weekend visiting with family vacationing down here. Beautiful sunrise run/swim/run for about 5 mi of running, & 1500m OWS swim. I'll try to send some warm weather north to the rest of you.

The Logboat Key bridge @ sunrise

Pelicans @ Coquina Beach

2019-02-11 5:08 AM

User image

Hey Andrew & Nicole,
How did you guys do at your races this weekend?
2019-02-11 8:22 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
We could really use some warm weather. More importantly, we could use some DRY weather. Last week, it rained 5" on Wednesday, then rained every day since, although not as much. I woke up to rain this morning. Ugh.

Planned rest day for me today. I can use it. Not only was last week a step up in workouts, but my Dad was here this weekend helping me fix some stuff around the house. We ended up fixing the kitchen lights, adding some outlets to the basement, and then cutting the hole in the concrete floor for a sump pump. Between hauling the water out before we started cutting and hauling the concrete after we started cutting, I think I probably made 100 trips up the stairs carrying 5gal buckets of either water or concrete chips. My whole body hurts this morning. Plus, I whacked myself in the hand with an 8lb hammer, so that hurts a little extra. :P

What does everyone have on tap this week?!?!?!
2019-02-11 8:32 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Andrew - great job on your Half!!!

Riles - gorgeous photos.  I loved Longboat Key when I visited a couple times way way back in 1998.  I need to go back now that it's just a few hours away!

Gretchen - I'd say you got your strength training in for the week!!

2019-02-11 8:40 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Andrew, sounds like a great race! Congrats on reaching your goal and feeling good at the end!

Riles, that sunset picture is amazing. I love a good sunset photo. Can't wait for warm weather here! Today we are having some kind of wintry mix, but somehow Hopkins didn't delay. The roads are terrible. I have vball tonight but am thinking I might try to get to the gym to get a run in before, since clearly that's not happening outside anytime soon.

2019-02-11 8:57 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
My swim meet went really well on Saturday! Below are my races, times, and a brief RR for each. I went into it kind of hungry b/c I didn't have any food in my house but was studying all morning so lost track of time. Once I started swimming though I kind of forgot how hungry I was.

100 IM: 1:11.65 - I felt awesome. Got 1st in my age group (of just me, lol), 2nd out of the women, and 5th if you count the men. We've been doing a lot of stroke/IM work at swim squad, and it definitely paid off. This was a ~4 second PR for me

50 Breaststroke: 36.97 - I love the sprints. Got first for the women and 7th if you count men. I've not swam breaststroke in a meet as an adult so this was a fun one for me.

400 Medley Relay - I led off with the backstroke. Split was 1:13.99, and our overall time was 4:43.86. We got first by half a second, very exciting race! My goggles came down a little on the start and each turn had them filling a little more with water, so that was not fun. I also felt like I was choking for some reason. Not a great feeling, but I was happy with my time.

200 IM: 2:46.30 - This was a ~5 second PR for me, but I was DEAD. Anything over 100 yards and I start to question what I'm doing with my life, lol. Not many people swam this. I got 1st for the women, 4th overall. I was in a heat of 4, and the next slowest person was seeded about 30 seconds faster than me haha, so I was pretty much in no man's land. It was fun though, and my last event, so I was happy to be done.

Afterwards they had a catered dinner and I ate way too much, but I was SO HUNGRY. All I ate in the morning was 2 hard boiled eggs and some pretzels with peanut butter. The meet started at 3:45pm.

Hoping to get another meet or two in this season. It's nice to have a gauge of how I've improved with my regular practices. One meet is the morning after a wedding though so I doubt I will be making that one.
2019-02-11 8:52 PM

User image

Andrew must have read my mind! (Or I should have refreshed the page before posting)

Sounds like you both did great! Now I can't wait to get into race season!
2019-02-12 4:11 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Awesome jobs, Andrew and Nicole!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  

of 48

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Gals Masters Mentor Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by k9car363
Views: 8363 Posts: 105

2019-12-26 4:19 AM k9car363

sdalcher Beginning Tri Group - Open

Started by sdalcher
Views: 1016 Posts: 4

2018-04-04 7:28 PM leatherneckpa