Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 46

2007-06-01 7:48 AM
in reply to: #801361

User image

Veteran
Miami
Subject: RE: Rich Miller's Group - FULL
yeah!!!!!! we gotsta picture of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you are totally how I imagined you to be, a bit more intellectual looking, but it TOTALLY makes sense!!! awesome!!!!
THis is so exciting!! im gonna post a pic of this weekend, if I can and its not way too large of a file!!

Q: Rich, so i took my heart monitor to spinning this morning. I have a chart of aerobic anearobic heart rate, but would REALLY like some help with that area since I really don't know much. I have been reading about it and feel a bit more confident about the subject, but, if you can I would greatly appreciate your input.

Here's my HR today- My normal HR is :52
Average while spinning : 139 (it was not a hard class today) Highest HR: 171 In zone: 45:00 minutes. THis is what my watch said.

Thank you for everything Rich!

2007-06-01 7:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Miami
best friend from LS and came in 5th her last tri!!!( her first tri) - wow that pic is huge

Edited by carustol 2007-06-01 7:57 AM

(bona nd ME.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
bona nd ME.JPG (27KB - 42 downloads)
2007-06-01 11:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Good Day, Christine!

Great post!!! You are doing a lot of stuff and doing it right! Keep it up!

Good that you got out on the bike last night and used the Gatorade. I am not too familiar with the affects of humidity on the heart rate, but for what it is worth, I found the following article. It explains a lot about sweating, heat indexes and advice on exercise in more humid climates.

http://www.islandnet.com/~see/weather/life/heat.htm

Fortunately or unfortunately, So Cal gets very little humidity for much of the year. We get some during August when we get the monsoon weather patterns coming out of Mexico.

With respect to your pizza, I don't think it sabotaged you at all. It was about 250 to 350 calories which you more than compensated for during your workouts for Thursday. Consider it a carbo load for today's (Friday's) workout.

EATING OUT/GROUP LUNCHES

We do live and work in the real world, it is true. We can take some steps to control our intake.

Group Lunches (Working Lunches/Group Social Lunches): Talk to the person organizing the lunch or making the arrangements. Just explain to them that you have some special dietary needs. You require either a special order lunch brought in or when going to a restuarant, need a place where you can select healthy choices. If you are going out, you can always order items not on the menu. As an example: Two scoops of tuna or chicken salad served with lowfat cottage cheese, tomatos on a bed of lettuce. Another option might be a boneless chicken breast with steamed vegetables of the season.

Over time, people will know that you are training, that you eat healthy and they adjust. My group of friends did and in fact, I've gotten five or six of them to start running half-marathons or marathons.

What happens is that they see how positive you are, the positive affects on your body and they say, I want that, too! (In the business world it is called "Lead by Example").

Hope this makes sense. You are doing an AWESOME Job Christine! Don't let the frustrations get to you. (I'll talk about the Circles of Concern and Circles of Influence in a latter post.)

You're Rockin' Christine..... Keep it up!

Rich

2007-06-01 12:05 PM
in reply to: #825200

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Caru! Ooooh....behind that intellectual face of mine is a very dry wit and a wild sense of humor.....My wife and son always say that they can see me thinking ...... which is always dangerous! Love your pics!!!! Your lookin great with your friend!

You wrote: "Q: Rich, so i took my heart monitor to spinning this morning. I have a chart of aerobic anearobic heart rate, but would REALLY like some help with that area since I really don't know much. I have been reading about it and feel a bit more confident about the subject, but, if you can I would greatly appreciate your input.

Here's my HR today- My normal HR is :52
Average while spinning : 139 (it was not a hard class today) Highest HR: 171 In zone: 45:00 minutes. THis is what my watch said."

I'm posting another link for you to read regarding the heart rate training zones:

http://www.pnc.edu/hr/Wellness/target_heart_rate_zone_training.htm

I use the following ranges for my training. The following is from the aforementioned link.

1. Easy/Recovery = 60 – 70%
2. Endurance/Strength = 71 – 80%
3. Strength/Long hills = 81 – 85% (just below LT)
4. Intervals/Hills/Race pace = 86 – 90% (race pace for races < 3 hours)
5. Speed/Racing (short) = 91 – 100%So now you have all the information to calculate the lower and upper heart rate limits for each zone. The following table summarizes the calculations.

During the winter months, I train in zones 1 and 2; Early part of the training season, I use a lot of training zone 3. This is the later part of the training season and I'm using combinations of 2 through 5 by mixing it up. There is a chart that will help you figure the range for each zone.
I actually created a little Excel spreadsheet around the five zones and keep it on my bike and my Day Timer.

So here is my calculations: 220 - 50 = 170

Training Zone 1 = 85 to 101 (Easy/Recovery)
Training Zone 2 = 102 to 118 (Endurance/Strength)
Training Zone 3 = 119 to 135 (Strength/Long Hills)
Training Zone 4 = 136 to 152 (Intervals/Hills/Race Pace that are less than 3 hours)
Training Zone 5 = 153 to 170 (Speed/Racing short distances)

From what I have read and experienced, you need to gradually train the heart, after all the heart is a muscle. Start out in Zone 1 and gradually move into Zone 2. After establishing a base (2 months or so ...... it varies from person to person) then you move into Zones 3, 4 and 5. When in Zones 3, 4 and 5 are start of for short periods of times or distances and add 10% each time I do a specific workout. I usually do an endurance ride, a strength ride and intervals or speed sprint workouts each week.

Questions?

Rich

2007-06-01 1:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Rich, Thanks for the positive feedback! It really helps. I am intrigued by this Cirlce of Concern; Circle of Influence business...I look forward to reading more when you are ready.

I realize you're not a doctor, but I was wondering if you have any guesses about why someone who is, shall we say, slightly overweight but aerobicly fairly active would still get such a high heart rate straight out of the gate?

It seems like when I do a ride (or run), I am huffing and puffing even on the first incline. Are some people just made that way or am I delusional and it just means I'm not all that aerobicly fit?

Lunch went great. I had a chopped salad and snuck in some grilled tofu of my own to top it off.

I will bring a healthy snack to the get-together tonight and hope to stick to that.
2007-06-01 1:28 PM
in reply to: #824753

User image

Expert
Chicago

That darn laundry foiled you from being attacked by the beast? Oooooooohhh Barb..... Is that the name of your bike? If you call it a beast, it will act like a beast. Bond and become one with your bike (sounds very Zen like doesn't it!) Teeeheee! Seriously, you just need time with your bike to become comfortable with it.

To set the record straight, it wasn't just rain...it was a full out storm. Hence, why no OWS was had.

And no, "Beast" is not the actual name of my bike...but more of a...hmm...pet name. Kind of like how I call my lil' black pug "killer" or "stinky." Still working on a name, but I'm hopeful it'll become evident during this evening's ride.

2007-06-01 1:56 PM
in reply to: #825940

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Barb:

I wrote:

That darn laundry foiled you from being attacked by the beast? Oooooooohhh Barb..... Is that the name of your bike? If you call it a beast, it will act like a beast. Bond and become one with your bike (sounds very Zen like doesn't it!) Teeeheee! Seriously, you just need time with your bike to become comfortable with it.

You wrote:

To set the record straight, it wasn't just rain...it was a full out storm. Hence, why no OWS was had.

And no, "Beast" is not the actual name of my bike...but more of a...hmm...pet name. Kind of like how I call my lil' black pug "killer" or "stinky." Still working on a name, but I'm hopeful it'll become evident during this evening's ride.

Good choice in not swimming with a full out storm....those can be nasty in your area.....in California a drizzle is considered a full out storm here.....lightweights! Aaah so "Beast" is a pet name for your bike.....as long as your bike smiles!

Have a GREAT DAY, Barb!

Rich
2007-06-01 1:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Miami
THIS is a must see video.

It is an order for all of us to see this video--- its the origin of IRONMAN ----

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCYCPaDXT90&NR=1

man!! these videos on triathlons really motivate you, i found it last night (insomnia) and had forgotten.
2007-06-01 2:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Got a little choked up watching that video. SO cool what those people do.

Caru -- nice photo!
2007-06-01 4:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Derek!

Did you ever get your body fat % checked? Let me know when you get a chance.

THANKS!

Rich
2007-06-01 6:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Rich Miller's Group - Transition Tips
Howdy!

Here is some reading I found on transitions that might be helpful. We can talk about execution of your upcoming races next week.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/strengthening/a/021004.htm

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=...

Let's hear how your workouts go this weekend.... I'm taking a rest day tomorrow (might get in a swim).... it is a family day! Sunday is a long bike ride 90 to 100 miles and a short run after.

I'll be checking the thread throughout the weekend, so don't hesitate with questions!

Rich

2007-06-01 7:17 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

Rich, my tri is next weekend.  Tomorrow I have a bike/run brick planned and then Sunday an OWS.  My tri is only a sprint so do I need to taper beginning Monday?  What should I do the week before to prepare?  I'm leaving on Friday morning and the tri is on Sunday.  What should my workouts look like this week?  The taper thing confuses me.

Everyone is doing so well with nutrition and workouts.  I love it!  It truly is keeping me moving forward...thanks for everyone's honesty and great question.  I'm getting a binder for all the articles...I can't keep up!

Ang

2007-06-01 9:10 PM

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Hi Rich. I just had the best run of my life...not long, but fast (for me). It was 3.12 miles in 35 minutes. (I normally am around 13-15 minute miles.) It felt great.

However, I am concerned. The last couple of days, I've experienced some tenderness in the front part of my tibia. Is this what they call shin splints? I feel like a have a bone bruise that runs up and down the front. It's not extremely painful, but I'm aware that its there, including when I run.

Is this normal, and what can I do? I can't go down this early in the game of training, it will devistate me! I'm doing so well!!!

AND, I have a 15 mile bike ride with my team tomorrow (and a 2 mile run). I'll pass on the run, but I really want to go and bike and stick to my schedule. Please help me Obi Wan, you're my only hope!
2007-06-01 9:42 PM
in reply to: #826405

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hi, Angela:

You wrote: Rich, my tri is next weekend. Tomorrow I have a bike/run brick planned and then Sunday an OWS. My tri is only a sprint so do I need to taper beginning Monday? What should I do the week before to prepare? I'm leaving on Friday morning and the tri is on Sunday. What should my workouts look like this week? The taper thing confuses me.

I'll try to make this clear (as mud)!

Concept 1: The longer the race, the longer the taper! So if you were doing an Ironman distance, you would taper a week out. With a Sprint, you could probably keep training up through Thursday... light workout on Friday.....and then see Concept 3.

Concept 2: Tapering doesn't mean stop all training....start with a good workout at the beginning of the week and decrease length throughout the week.

Concept 3: Day before your race do a 15 minute swim, 15 minute bike, 15 minute run. They don't have to be back to back. It is purely to get some blood into your muscles that you are going to use the next day.

Concept 4: Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate....... start hydrating a couple days before hand. You don't have to overdue it.....but, make sure you get your water / liquids into you.

Concept 5: Pack your transition bag 2 to 3 days ahead of time........ remember the checklist?.....open up the link and print it out ....... I recommend you use it! Eventhough I have done 20 plus triathlons, I still use the checklist.

Concept 6: Mentally go through your transitions as you are packing. It helps you to visualize the process / execution of the transition.

Concept 7: It may not be totally necessary to Carb up for a Sprint distance, but if you do, Carb up on Friday

Concept 8: Get a good long sleep on Friday night.....you will have a restless night on Saturday night .... the night before your race (at least I do).

Does that help? Let me know if you have any more questions.
2007-06-01 9:51 PM
in reply to: #826455

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Andi! Good to hear from you!

You wrote: However, I am concerned. The last couple of days, I've experienced some tenderness in the front part of my tibia. Is this what they call shin splints? I feel like a have a bone bruise that runs up and down the front. It's not extremely painful, but I'm aware that its there, including when I run.

Is this normal, and what can I do? I can't go down this early in the game of training, it will devistate me! I'm doing so well!!!

AND, I have a 15 mile bike ride with my team tomorrow (and a 2 mile run). I'll pass on the run, but I really want to go and bike and stick to my schedule. Please help me Obi Wan, you're my only hope!

Great on your run! Sounds like your running is coming along....

Just curious the reference to Obi Wan ....... I just happen to have Star Wars on the TV here in my home office as background noise....... (May the Force be with you!) :0

Let's talk about your shin. Without seeing where your experiencing the pain, it does sound like your shin. Do you remember RICE? (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevate). Time to do it!

It may not be normal....it could be biomechanical (i.e. technique) on your stride. You could possibly be over extending your stride or it could be the placement of your foot strike. You can still bike on Saturday..... I agree, if it were me, I would not run tomorrow.

Do me a favor and talk to your TNT coach tomorrow. Explain to him/her where you are experiencing the pain. Ask the coach how to address this given that it occurs on the running. If there are multiple coaches, one of them may have a solid running expertise and can work with you to identify the issue. It could be as simple as you did stretch enough, your shoes are laced too tight.

What questions do you have? Did I confuse you? Let me know.

Rich
2007-06-02 7:21 AM

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Thanks, Obi Wan. Kind of weird that you had Star Wars on the TV. I guess you were just destined to be one of my mentors! I'm a big Star Wars fan too. I attached a picture that was taken a couple of years ago, when my family and I went to Disneyworld. I couldn't resist getting a unique photo taken of me with my two princesses. (My little one was 10 weeks old in the picture, and looks a bit of a goober there!)

I did in fact email my run/bike coach last night with my same concerns, and got an email that he said to come out anyways, and that he would go over running technique. However, even before I went to bed, I opted out of going to my group TNT ride this morning. I was so worried last night, and I just kept hearing "listen to your body". So I decided that if I feel good today, I have all day to ride, not just in the morning.

Hopefully I can meet him for coffee sometime this weekend (BTW, I drink decaf with splenda -- half and half is still used -- and I figure that is the lesser of two evils.) I'm interested to learn more on technique, and maybe get an opinion on if my shoes are ones I should be using. (They feel good...but perhaps my shins are trying to tell me something.)

Thanks for coming to the rescue, Rich.

Edited by aduncan42 2007-06-02 7:30 AM

(StarWarsChicks_email.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
StarWarsChicks_email.jpg (83KB - 31 downloads)

2007-06-02 7:41 AM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

Andi, I love the pic!  That is great!  At the end of June, the FW Science and History Museum is displaying a Star Wars collection.  We were just there the other day and they are working on the exhibit.  I can't wait to go.  It should be super.

I went to a local shoe store to get my new running shoes.  The sales guy put me on the treadmill and monitored my run.  He was able to show me several different brands that would work with my stride/run.  I think it really helped me.  The choices are so plentiful.  This really narrowed down my selection.  I hope your shins get to feeling better.  Take care. 

2007-06-02 11:42 AM

User image

Houston
Yup I sure did! it was 18.9% not to bad I guess. I would like to bet around 17% before I race.

So yesterday I almost got runover by a H2 on my ride yesterday!!!! It was a clear road and he had plenty of sight and I know he saw me. I guess he wanted to test my speed well I won!! For a bit.
I rolled right around him missing him by about 3 inches, but as he blew by me I lost ballance and went sidways into a huge bush!!!!! Leg got scrapped up and my handlebar now has a big gash in the grip!!!!!
The worst part about it is that jerk was turning into a stip mall and he didnt even stop to check on all his damage. Needless to say...... I was not happpy.

On a better note.
I went to my first spin class(my solution to the problem of riding my bike "for fun") WOW that was tough! Lots of fun but I tried to swim after the spin...ummmmmm not happening I will have to go back tonight and get my swim in!!!!

2007-06-02 12:36 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

Rich, thanks for laying it out for me...it makes sense to me.  I hope you have a great day driving the wine tasters around! 

Derek, I'm glad you're okay.  Sorry about the bike!  People!  What's wrong with them!  I'm a firm believer in how you treat people and mother nature is how you'll be treated.  H2 needs to slow down!  Spin classes are great.  I'm always amazed at how sore I am the next day after a class....ouch!  If only I had 18.9% BF...keep up the good workouts!

Everyone, enjoy your weekend!  We finally have real sunshine today!  YIPPEE!!!

Ang

2007-06-02 12:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Miami
Andi! that is one awesome picture!!! your babies look sooo cute!!! ha ha

Ang, on the running shoes, I guarantee you will improve by at least 3-4 minutes on your regular 5\k if you buy shies that have the support your feet and stride need. I improved 5 minutes once i started using the correct shoes. I use Asics. I'm excited for you!

Derek! yey you went to spinning class, I loooveee spinning, I go at least 4 times a week. Its a 6am and just starts my day right!! At the beginning its SUPER hard, and tomorrow your legs are going to be hurtin but its a good hurtin!

Guys unfortunately my training session was cancelled for next tuesday b/c of the TERRIBLE rain and thunderstorsm. It's been non stop since yesterday at 5pm. So It sucks! but I got up and went spinning. SUPER HARD.
So, later It stopped raining and I thought, well I better practice clipping ona nd off, so I don't look like a fool. Everything went fine, Im a pro at clipping off my right foot, so Im at the stop sign right in the corner of my street, theres usually like 1 car every 20 minutes passing by. So neddless to say the inevitable happened, I has my right foot on the ground and was about to start when I have NO IDEA what happened but I ended up on the floor on my left side and my bike dangling in the air TWO cars were passing by and I just waived and acted like i totally meant that! and just went on. So now my knee is scrapped and in two areas, not a lotta blood so its good. Ill mput some ice on it later on. he he!!So,after that I just kept riding despite the air and the rain, and it was absolutely phenomenal! I loved it!!!!i can't wait to be able to do long rides. I just want this weathber to get better already!!!!!

Q: is it normal for me to feel that stopping is really hard and pressing the break with my hands? does it mean i have no hand strength???? i had to really concentrate like the handles are too big or too apart?

hOPE everyone has better weather and also a wonderful weekend!!!
chao
2007-06-02 6:13 PM

User image

Regular
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Glad you all like the pic!

Derek, I'm REALLY glad you are okay. I would have been so p***ed, I don't know what I would have done. Likely chase him wherever he was going, that's for sure! Easier said than done though.

I'm going to have to look into new shoes. I was supposed to meet up with my coach today. We had our group training this morning, but as you know I didn't go and elected to take it easy. We're playing phone tag today, but I'll hopefully talk to him before I go for a ride tomorrow. I definitely need to after ordering up "crispy chicken" for my McDonalds salad and a two-scoop ice cream at Baskin Robbins today. Long story short, I took my girls to a birthday party almost an hour away, only to find out that the party was tomorrow. UGH! Can you say DAMAGE CONTROL? Fortunately, McDonalds and ice cream did the trick to calm two very upset kids. (And I have to admit I kind of liked it myself, especially the chocolate chip ice cream.)

Speaking of eating crap, I had my FIRST BEER in 2 months the other day. I'm not about to start tying one on on a regular basis, but it was mighty tasty. I had run 4 miles Thursday morning before work, and Thursday night is my golf league. I always carry my bag, and really thought I'd have it in me to hold my game together. WRONG. Played pathetic, and was just plain exhausted after it was over. We always meet at a bar afterwards, and this time I took advantage of the bar instead of having just water. Am I feeling guilty? Hmmm. Well, I had told myself I would never drink again as a step to better health. So for that, maybe. (Side note: I was disguisted at my weight back in March, so I cut out that, sugar, caffeine and carbs. Carbs are back in the diet, and natural sugars, but still no caffeine and alcohol until last Thursday night, that is.) But then I think, hey...it's only one. So my question to you all is, do you ever drink beer or wine?

My shins are feeling better. After icing and elevating last night, I slept with far-infrared wraps and magnets on them all night, and the pain was totally gone this morning. I used to sell this technology back in the day, and fortunately had some leftover stuff to use. Good thing!

I really need to get my body fat percentage. It would be nice to know how I stack up to all you pros out there.

Rich, I watched the Becoming and Ironman series on YouTube. There are 10 parts. This was soooo inspirational, even for me who has yet to tackle her first triathlon. Watching those made me want more, and as crazy as it sounds, I told my husband last night that someday I want to do the ironman. Not now with a 3 and a 5 year old, but maybe 10 years from now. (Is that too long? Is that too ambitious?) Maybe I'm nuts, but those videos along with so much else (including the many wonderful comments posted here) just make me want to keep improving, and never wanting to settle for the status quo.

My little one is awake, I must go! I'll check in with you all later, hope you are having a great weekend!

2007-06-02 7:02 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

Hey Andi, I hate to laugh, but the birthday party thing was really funny!  It's so hard to keep schedules straight.  I always say one of the hardest things about being a mom is logistics and keeping everything in order!  It wears me out!  McDonald's is always a crowd pleaser at our house, too.  It's sad when the little ones can recognize McDonald's as we drive down the street.  Good call, Mom!  Way to save the day!

The alcohol thing...yes, I'm a drinker...wine, beer, mixed drinks...I like it all.  Over the past month, I've cut down considerably on my alcohol intake.  My tri is next weekend,  and I want to preform my best.  I'm not good at giving things up.  (I'm Catholic so Lent sucks for me!)  BUT an ice cold beer after a not so good golf game is okay by book!  I just really limit myself to when and how much I consume while I'm training.

Caru, I'm so glad you're okay!  I like your attitude of jumping back on.  I'm still using the toe clips.  I need to switch over, but I'm not ready to crash and burn!  YIKES!

2007-06-02 8:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

Hello hello hello! Sounds like we've all been busy beavers this weekend!

Andi - LOVE the picture! I showed my hubby and we both had a good laugh over your little ones.  That was too funny....

Derek - wow, people can be real jerks, can't they? I'm glad you're okay. A gash in your handlebar tape is a lot easier to fix than a gash in YOU!!! And, yeah, those spin classes can be totally brutal.  I got started in spin classes before I got my bike a few years ago, and I had the Blonde Nazi for an instructor.  She was great about teaching form as well as kicking our butts.  I swear I could actually watch my quads developing!

Caru - I'm totally with you on the clips and falling over in front of folks.  It's that whole "coordination challenged" thing for me.  When I first got my clips, I fell over more often than not - got some nice scars on the inside of my right leg from my gears scraping me to show for it, too.  Then I discovered that I had the clip tension on my pedals too high.  I loosened it up a bit and I haven't had any trouble since.  Depending on what style of pedal you have, you might check and see if that's adjustable for you, too.  If it's too tight, like mine, it'll be harder to unclip in time and you'll be falling over more. 

The alchohol thing - I'm not a big drinker.  I'll have the occasional glass of wine at a nice dinner, or my hubby and I will share a bottle when we're feeling snuggly or at the end of a long week.  It probably translates into two glasses a month on average.  It helps that I seem to be allergic to white wines - blame the kiddos for that.  I used to be able to drink any kind of wine, and then after my first baby, I couldn't drink wine at all without having chest spasms and throwing up.  After my second baby, I can now drink reds only, but I still have a bad reaction to whites.  I'm pretty picky about my beers (Sam Adams, Dos Equis is pretty much it) and I have to be in the right mood.  I used to love a good screwdriver, but it's been so long since I had hard liquor, I'd  probably fall over after half a drink.

As for my weekend, I went out for an afternoon ride today, since I had other business to attend to this morning.  It was hot and sunny and like 94 degrees (it's hot in Texas!!!), and I was the only cyclist I saw on the course today.  That should have been a sign, because I think I got pretty dehydrated, even though I was drinking gatorade.  I got stomach cramps about 20 miles in and had to cut the ride short.  When I got home, I was really exhausted, and I weighed in 2 lbs. lighter than I did earlier this morning.  Not good.  So I'll be here on the couch all evening sipping on water, watching the basketball game and recovering. 

Keep up the great work everyone! I am SO ENJOYING this mentoring thing! You guys rock!!!

2007-06-03 1:45 AM
in reply to: #826566

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Hey Gang!

It is 11:00 PM and just go back from the Temecula Wine Country area of Southern California...about 2 hours south/southeast of where I live. Had a great day! (I'm sorry, but) the weather was phenomenal today. 70's to 80's with low humidity and a nice breeze. It was an expensive wine day......about $230.00 for wine plus a bird bath for the back yard garden. Got up early this morning to get a 40 minute swim in. Glad I did!

Andi! Good move on your part to listen to your body. Smart! Funny that Angela mentioned the shoes. I was driving at one point down a narrow road thinkng about your shin issue. Made a mental note to ask you when you had your shoes replaced last. They say that you should replace your shoes every 300 to 400 miles.

Good Derek on the body fat %. 18% was a lot better than where I started. Hope you are doing OK! Grrrrrrrrrrrrr! Motorists!!!!!!! Spin classes can really kick your you know what! Good for really getting a good workout especially if the weather is questionable and training ride is rained out!

Angela! Love your local running store....kudos to them for putting you on a treadmill and looking at your stride! Most Excellent! I'm glad the explanation on the HR Zones helped!

Karu! I can relate to falling when you are clipped in! I stopped recently, couldn't get clipped out in time and over I went. Landed to the left in front of a big raised pick-up truck. Was afraid they didn't see me because they were so high. They would have rolled right over me, but fortunately they did see me. Hope you didn't get too banged up! I think you get the Best Acting Award for the week ..... waving as if you planned on falling...... Geeezz! LOL!

Karu wrote: "Is it normal for me to feel that stopping is really hard and pressing the break with my hands? does it mean i have no hand strength???? i had to really concentrate like the handles are too big or too apart?"

It may be normal, but do yourself a favor and take your bike back to the LBS and see if the break handles are too tight. Can they adjust them to make it easier to break.

Andi wrote: So my question to you all is, do you ever drink beer or wine? In my case, I'm allergic to tannen acids in wine. I have an O'Douls every once and a while. I guess the real question you have, can you have a beer or wine? Sure......one hear and there is fine. Ya gotta live right? Just don't over do it!

Andi! I got to watch these YouTubes that everyone is talking about. Sounds very inspirational! If you want to do an Ironman, work on longer distances each season. The decision to do an Ironman should probably be a family decision. It involves a lot of comittment and can impact your family. I would say, go for it as long as you have your support. If the family is behind you, 10 years from now is too far out (in my opinion!) Plan to do it in 3 years to 5 years. Just my opinion!

Kat, I'm glad you stopped! Definitely too hot to be riding! Your stomach shut down because of the heat. You were processing food/nutrion (sports drink), but your body needed to circulate blood which removed the blood from stomach region which basically was shutting down your body from processing the gatorade. Take it easy!

Wow....... soooo lots happened! But you guys are out there working! Good Job!!!!!!

I will be going long tomorrow (Sunday!) .... looks like a 90 miler tomorrow! I'll check in with everyone after I get back!

Rich

2007-06-03 7:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
I really enjoy reading the updates from everyone!

Got a light swim and run in yesterday. It's 8:00 am here and HOT and HUMID already (and this ain't Texas :-). Think we will keep to a 25-30 mile ride this morning. After that, yard work and helping with a friends pool.

Hope you all enjoy the rest of your weekend and look forward to hearing more!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Rich Miller's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 46