BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ADollar79's Group--closed and in the base building phase! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 31

2008-01-17 8:50 AM
in reply to: #1089582

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Subject: RE: ADollar79's Group--closed and in the base building phase!
Just as an FYI or shameless self-promotion sometime this morning I am going to blog about LT runs.  I will post my last 3-4 runs looking to see if I made any progress. 

2008-01-17 10:00 AM

User image

Champion
Urbandale, IA

Ok - so I was talking to a friend of mine the other day at the bar restaraunt we were hanging out at, and we started talking about running.  He is in his third season of tri's, has run a few half Mary's and is an awesome biker.  He was telling me that he had the same problem as me when he first started running (could not get his pace as quick as he wanted it) no matter how long he ran for.  He was seeing little or no improvement.  He hired a running coach because, like me, he is rather impatient when he doesn't see improvement in his performance.  The coach told him that he "was cheating his pace" meaning that he had gotten so used to running at the pace that he had started at, that when he went out and ran, he would just fall into that pace and it would just be natural.  He told him that it was worth some time on the dreadmill to get yourself used to what it feels like to run a faster pace and then when he gets out on the road, he would see the difference in his times.  Dan says it was like a miracle drug.  His pace started tom improve and he now runs in the lower 9's for a 10K pace.  This leads to a few questions:

Is this bunk?

How do you know what your pace is on a road run so that you don't slow down because you are, say, slacking without knowing it?

It costs about $30 bucks to get the Nike + deal for your shoes and Ipod to tell you pace and mileage as you run (not really sure how it works, but I know that it does those two things).  Is this a worthwhile investment?

2008-01-17 11:41 AM
in reply to: #1161666

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
jdwright56 - 2008-01-17 11:00 AM

Ok - so I was talking to a friend of mine the other day at the bar restaraunt we were hanging out at, and we started talking about running. He is in his third season of tri's, has run a few half Mary's and is an awesome biker. He was telling me that he had the same problem as me when he first started running (could not get his pace as quick as he wanted it) no matter how long he ran for. He was seeing little or no improvement. He hired a running coach because, like me, he is rather impatient when he doesn't see improvement in his performance. The coach told him that he "was cheating his pace" meaning that he had gotten so used to running at the pace that he had started at, that when he went out and ran, he would just fall into that pace and it would just be natural. He told him that it was worth some time on the dreadmill to get yourself used to what it feels like to run a faster pace and then when he gets out on the road, he would see the difference in his times. Dan says it was like a miracle drug. His pace started tom improve and he now runs in the lower 9's for a 10K pace. This leads to a few questions:

Is this bunk?

How do you know what your pace is on a road run so that you don't slow down because you are, say, slacking without knowing it?

It costs about $30 bucks to get the Nike + deal for your shoes and Ipod to tell you pace and mileage as you run (not really sure how it works, but I know that it does those two things). Is this a worthwhile investment?

Is it bunk?  Not really.  But I feel like you are comparing apples to oranges.  You can't compare someone with a few seasons of tri experience and half mary runs to a beginner.  Your friend likely plateaued on his long runs.  You, on the other hand, need to build the engine before you race the car.  I say this completely respectfully...you have been through a lot physically over the past 18 months.  This is your first go at exercising since surgery.  It takes your body a while to adapt to running.  Be patient! Running while having numerous healthy benefits, is hard on the body.  It takes a toll.  And trying to move too quick...especially in your case, will likely result in injury. 

I can promise you that with time and proper training, your times will improve.  Remember, you are on a COUCH to sprint plan.  You need to SLOWLY build your endurance.  If you feel like 20 minutes is too short to run...then go 25 (no more).  Push yourself a bit more out there...not all out. 

I also don't need to remind you that you set a PR the other day in a 5k.  Look back through your workouts (as I did).  Your times are improving.  10-15 seconds here and there is a huge improvement.  More than you are giving yourself credit for.  Given that a lot of your runs are short, try running the same exact route.  See if you run it quicker than the last time.  You can create routes on BT and then track your history.  This is a great tool. 

Personal commentary:  This sport is made up of a lot of Type A personalities.  People, slef included, that this sport is a HOBBY and should be fun.  We all get too caught up in winning and being faster that we forget that we participate for FUN.  When you begin to forget that aspect, burnout sets in.  Keep in mind that we are here to have fun.  There will be good days and bad.  Good races and bad.  Your first goal in ANY race is to finish.  The finish line brings plenty of glory regardless of time. 

A few other things from your post:

What the coach prescribed was probably tempo runs.  Common sense says that if you go out and run at the same pace everyday that you will get accustom to the feel.  You will be challenged to push yourself.  I for instance LOVE running 9:00-9:20 minute miles.  Generally those don't labor me at all.  Last year, I settled into the pace TOO comfortably.  ALL my runs became that pace. You should occasionally incorporate tempo/intervals/strides into your run workouts.  That is how you push the body a bit.  I don't need to pay a coach to tell me that.  

There are a number of electronic gadgets out there that can track pace and other info.  The problem is that pace is never consistent because of terrain.  You likely don't feel a 1-2% grade change.  But your pace probably does.  

I run with a Garmin 305.  It has the function to give me pace (about 3s delay).  But I don't use it at all.  It also has a GPS function to provide real time distance info.  I love my Garmin but the price is a bit steep.

I have never trained with the Nike Ipod.  I understand the technology.  Essentially it is a footpod chip that you put in your shoe and it communicates with the Ipod.  I have friends who enjoy their setup.  I just can't comment personally.  But like I said above, you can use the BT router (for free) and create routes from your home or office.  Learn the neighborhood.  Know where a mile is.  That is a cheaper alternative  

2008-01-17 6:56 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

Do I recall some of you mentioning that you got a Spinervals DVD as a gift. If so, have you used it?  Care to comment on it?

I just had a date with Coach Troy and it was a solid workout.  I have Spinervals 3.0 sufferfest.  Yeah, I am glutton for punishment. 

2008-01-18 11:37 AM

User image

Expert
work, road, bike, pool
MIA----- I have been painting and getting all of my work outs in... work is also busy so this is good.... ANY good discussion questions?

Base building - run monday, eliptical tuesday, off wed, swim thurs, eliptical friday, bike sat, eliptical sunday.... My training starts on feb 4th.... just a little over 2 weeks
2008-01-18 12:32 PM
in reply to: #1164055

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

tri-dg - 2008-01-18 12:37 PM MIA----- I have been painting and getting all of my work outs in... work is also busy so this is good.... ANY good discussion questions? Base building - run monday, eliptical tuesday, off wed, swim thurs, eliptical friday, bike sat, eliptical sunday.... My training starts on feb 4th.... just a little over 2 weeks

I enjoyed the discussion about finding a hot woman to drag me out of bed each morning.  At least it put a grin on my face!   

2008-01-18 2:42 PM
in reply to: #1164225

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA
ADollar79 - 2008-01-18 12:32 PM

tri-dg - 2008-01-18 12:37 PM MIA----- I have been painting and getting all of my work outs in... work is also busy so this is good.... ANY good discussion questions? Base building - run monday, eliptical tuesday, off wed, swim thurs, eliptical friday, bike sat, eliptical sunday.... My training starts on feb 4th.... just a little over 2 weeks

I enjoyed the discussion about finding a hot woman to drag me out of bed each morning. At least it put a grin on my face!

Didn't we all.  Ha.

I've got several Spinervals tapes - I tried one out and enjoyed it, but opted to watch IM on my DVR.  Oopsie.  I'm seriously under the weather right now but am going to attempt a Spinerval workout tonight.   

2008-01-21 7:27 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

New week!  Hopefully this one is a bit warmer!!!

MON: 45' recovery run/ 2500 swim
TUES: Spinning class/upper body weights/45' LT run
WED: Morning yoga/20' run
THURS: Spinning class/arm weights/ 45' run
FRI:  2400y swim
SAT:  40' speed run  (possible bike)
SUN:  120' run

2008-01-21 12:40 PM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

Good morning everyone!  I have been sick since last bloomin' Tuesday!  Only today am I feeling better.  I haven't worked out in almost a week. ARRRGHH!!! 

So right now I am going to get better then start back of my 1/2 mary training and swimming challenge again.  

2008-01-22 1:39 PM
in reply to: #1167478

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA
ADollar79 - 2008-01-21 7:27 AM

New week! Hopefully this one is a bit warmer!!!

MON: 45' recovery run/ 2500 swim
TUES: Spinning class/upper body weights/45' LT run
WED: Morning yoga/20' run
THURS: Spinning class/arm weights/ 45' run
FRI: 2400y swim
SAT: 40' speed run (possible bike)
SUN: 120' run

Dollar - is your weights routine specific to men, or can you share? I would rather do my own routine than a Body Pump class like I did yesterday - only because I'd rather be doing things specific to tri training.   

2008-01-22 1:43 PM

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA

My plan for the week -

Monday - Body Pump Class/925m swim
Tuesday - 4-5 Mile Run, some spinning while I watch tv tonight
Wednesday - Weights, Swim (1200)
Thursday - 4-5 Mile Run AM
Friday - Morning Spinervals (leaving to go out of town in PM)
Saturday - Morning Swim or Run (visiting family)
Sunday - 17 Mile Makeup Run

This is the last trip for a bit, then I'm back on a regular schedule. I'm shooting for 2 of each sport a week (Cycle, Swim, Weights) and Run, which is 3x a week.

Edited by atlrunnergirl 2008-01-22 1:44 PM

2008-01-22 3:20 PM
in reply to: #1169995

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
atlrunnergirl - 2008-01-22 2:39 PM

Dollar - is your weights routine specific to men, or can you share? I would rather do my own routine than a Body Pump class like I did yesterday - only because I'd rather be doing things specific to tri training.

My weight routine is nothing specific.  I try to focus on chest and back one day and my arms the next (I have totally neglected my legs of late).  I just really enjoy lifting weights and I am slightly vain about my body   Visit my training blog for more details, I record which exercises I perform.  

I will add that my IM weights are a bit different and a bit tri-specific.  From my training plan, I will incorporate this routine twice a week:

2 Leg Squats, Bent-Arm Pulldown, Leg Press, Seated row, Leg Extensions, Hamstring curl

And do NOT forget your core!!!  I am currently flirting with a number of core exercises (beyond situps) and some plyometrics for better stability and more power. 

2008-01-23 8:24 AM

User image

Champion
Urbandale, IA

Well - my tri-training took quite a blow at 6:30 AM yesterday.  U was waking to my car to goto work after a night snofall and slipped on the ice.  I fell backward and the result of that fall was this.  Th Dc has told me that I am allowed no physical exercise until after an appointment on Feb 4th.  I told him about my tri plns and he said thatrunning and biking were possible in a few weeks (as long as I used aerobars on thr bike), but I would be out of the pool for about six weeks.  That would basically get me in the pool for a month before my first sprint.  I am at a loss for what to do.  There are a lot of people comingto see me race my first try - some of them spending a good deal of money for flights/rooms.

I am so pissed I don't even want to talk about it.

It is hard for me to type - sinceI broke my right arm and I am right handed, so if you could do me a favor, Sarah, and tell Scrambled Leggs that I will walk the mileage I need to attain my challenge goal, I would appreciate it.

(0123080752.jpg)

(0122080843.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
0123080752.jpg (33KB - 12 downloads)
0122080843.jpg (25KB - 21 downloads)
2008-01-23 9:06 AM

User image

Expert
work, road, bike, pool
wholey cow... those pictures made me feel terriable and i got goose bumps..... ahhhhhhhh.... Im sprry for you getting injured on somethign stupid like that...

To make you feel better i was waling out of my house the other day on the phone with my boss telling him that i was running a little late for our meeting and then boom... drew fall down. i sliped on some ice... started yelling and cussing and such... then realized that he was still on the phone.... uh... are you ok.. he said. yeah ill be there in about 5 min. and then layed on the concrete walk way for a good min just thinking about how dumb i must have looked and sounded... when i got to the meeting i told him what happeded and we laughed about it...

11 days till 6 days a week tri training

monday - 33 min run - 4 miles
tuesday - 20 eliptical
wed - 20 eliptical
thursday - 32 swim
friday - 20 eliptical
sat - 76 bike
sun - off
2008-01-23 9:18 AM

User image

Expert
work, road, bike, pool
Sarah - as to your work out questions with weights.... I know my tri lifting work outs are not exactley TRI related all the way but if they were this is what i would try to do

Mon - Sholders and Legs
Tues - off
Wed - Chest and Triceps
Thur - off
Fri - either fri or sat
Sat - Back and Biceps
Sun - off

pick about 3-4 lifts per mussle group and do 2-3 sets with 15-20 reps per set. with super seting them so your not in the gym lifting for hours.

example
Front and side raise 15-20, Leg press 15-20, Front and side raise 15-20, Leg press, Front and side raise 15-20, Leg press 15-20

military press 15-20, Leg extention 15-20, military press 15-20, Leg extention 15-20, military press 15-20, Leg extention 15-20

Bar bell pull up 15-20, hamstring curll, Bar bell pull up 15-20, hamstring curll, Bar bell pull up 15-20, hamstring curll

for the weight something that you can do 15-20 times with good form. this is key to strengthing your sholders. with the legs i feel that you want to be explosive so that it comes out in your running and biking

2008-01-23 9:19 AM

User image

Expert
work, road, bike, pool
Couldnt we all use some cute trainer to help us threw out the day? ( if i had some cute female trainer hanging out with me all the time i would be a lazy bum)

2008-01-23 9:25 AM
in reply to: #1171381

User image

Extreme Veteran
Incline Village, NV

John - I'm so sorry to hear about your arm.  I hope you're feeling better. 

As for your tri, I say still give it a shot.  You'll still have everyone at the finish line cheering you on.  When the doc clears you to train again, just start back with the base building phase.

2008-01-23 9:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Incline Village, NV

We're already mid-week, but here's my plan:

• Mon - 1 hr run (ended up bein 1/2 an hour since I couldn't pass up the powder)
  • Tues - 1 hr run with hills (done, not fun, but done)
  • Wed - 45 min run
  • Thurs - 45 min run
  • Fri - 2 hr 15 min run
  • Sat - 50 min run
  • Sun - OFF

I found out on Monday that I'm teaching the Corporate Finance class at the local college.  Class starts tonight....ahhhhh!  I'm probably going to be checked out for the next week or so since I need to write a syllabus, figure out a grading scale, write lesson plans, etc.  Oh my, what did I get myself into?!?!?!

2008-01-24 8:23 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

John--

Sorry to hear about your injury.  I don't think you should l give up on the idea of the tri.  Definitely re-evaluate your situation per your doctor's orders.  Often times, you will be surprised how easy it is to tap back into your base fitness (which is another reason it is important to go slow in the early months of training).  Keep in mind, that the tri will probably being even more challenging but I don't think I need to say anything to you about overcoming challenges in life.  Your goal still remains the finish line. I can assure you that you will receive the same glory and satisfaction finishing the race even a few minutes slower. 

2008-01-25 10:41 AM
in reply to: #1173515

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA

John - Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear about your arm. Yikes!! And I think you'll get a pass on the running thing - but do what you can. Try to find some way to still get those workout endorphins!

To all - I saw the movie 'Spirit of the Marathon' last night. It was great! They are doing another showing Feb 21st, so I would recommend checking it out if you want some running motivation.

Edited by atlrunnergirl 2008-01-25 10:42 AM
2008-01-25 11:01 AM

User image

Champion
Urbandale, IA
Sarah - I see you are running the Tri Peachtree City Sprint in August.  Can you tell me a little about the race?  I want to get down to UGA sometime in the fall and thought I might combine the trip with a race. 

2008-01-25 3:54 PM
in reply to: #1175856

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
atlrunnergirl - 2008-01-25 11:41 AM

To all - I saw the movie 'Spirit of the Marathon' last night. It was great! They are doing another showing Feb 21st, so I would recommend checking it out if you want some running motivation.

We went to see it too last night.  Was that you Sarah kicking my seat the whole time.

Great movie that all of us can easily relate with. I highly recommend it for the next showing!

2008-01-25 3:55 PM
in reply to: #1175896

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

jdwright56 - 2008-01-25 12:01 PM Sarah - I see you are running the Tri Peachtree City Sprint in August.  Can you tell me a little about the race?  I want to get down to UGA sometime in the fall and thought I might combine the trip with a race. 

PTC is a good race south of Atlanta. 

You could also look at Emerald Pointe which is the first weekend of October.  Plus it is north of Atlanta and closer to Athens. 

2008-01-25 8:44 PM
in reply to: #1176525

User image

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Maybe I was! I thought the guy sitting next to me looked familiar But then, everyone in that theatre looked familiar. I haven't done Tri PTC before, I threw it on my schedule thinking it would be a nice fall race - Emerald Pointe is a good race (minus the crazy hill to transition). The funny thing is that all 3 triathlons I've done have been at Lake Lanier. I'm dying for a new course!
2008-01-27 6:32 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

<........crickets chirping......>

You all sure are quiet of late! 

Workouts for the week:

Mon:  Swim 2800
Tues: Spin class,weights, 50' LT run
Wed: S: 2500
Thurs: weights, 90' run
Fri:  S: 2500
Sat: B: 120 easy, R: 45' easy
Sun:  R:  40'

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ADollar79's Group--closed and in the base building phase! Rss Feed  

of 31