BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Brian and the Tri Tarts Group - Full Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2008-01-24 5:46 AM
in reply to: #1172566

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Subject: RE: Brian and the Tri Tarts Group - Full
SSMinnow - 2008-01-23 5:20 PM

Hey Kristen

Nice job on the weight loss! What was your strategy? diet and exercise mainly?  I just talked to a woman who lost 150 lbs over 3 years by eating better and starting to run.  She looks great and has kept it off for 2 years.  She is 100% reformed in her approach to life. Very cool.

Suzy 

Thanks, Suzy -

Yep...it really was a brand new lifestyle for us. Clean eating & exercise - not just for hubby & I, but also the Monkeys. (OK, they don't "exercise" but they go to swim lessons or sports camp or soccer or ballet, depending on the season. And they eat treats more often than hubby and I...but maybe I can help them avoid a fat teenage-hood or adult-hood. I cringe when I read the stories about obese kids.)

2008-01-24 5:58 AM
in reply to: #1089758

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Brian

Here is my question of the day.  I went to a bike seminar last night and the speakers were from Exclusive Cycles in Madison.  They work with some of the best athletes to build custom bikes and have a pretty good rep in the industry.

When I asked about tri vs road bike for triathlons I got a surprising answer.  They recommended road bikes in most instances. They said in hillier terrian like WI you could create much more power using a road bike.  The one thing I did not ask is if you use a road bike are you using the same muscles you run with so that part becomes harder.  What do you think?

Also learned a ton about gearing, wheels and bike set up.  A very worthwhile two hours.

Suzy

2008-01-24 8:55 AM

Veteran
New Jersey
man, i've been really bad about being around on the forum and on commenting on people's logs! it's the beginning of a new semester over here so things are a bit hectic, but that's not really a good excuse also my boyfriend's been gone, and he's a big motivator for me. he's back now but then in a few days he's off to sweden for a week!! either way though, i'm going to try to be around more and be an actual contributing member of this group. :/
2008-01-24 9:08 AM

User image

Expert
Virginia

Kristen, awesome weight loss!  I'm struggling in that aspect a lot lately, mainly b/c my eating choices aren't the greatest.  I am trying to re-tool and get better.  I know that's a big reason why my training hasn't been as good...b/c I'm not eating as well as I should and I don't have the energy my body needs.  Circles, right?  I'm doing better though and just taking it day by day.  I kind of have stopped trying to eat SO good and instead eating the things that I like that are healthy.  Lean meats and brown rice and whole wheat pasta...I like them all...but I had convinced myself that I was eating too much rice and pasta and that I wasn't eating enough veggies and stuff and drove myself crazy with it. 

Interesting about road vs. tri bikes.  I'm only getting a road bike anyway, but that's good to know that maybe I can keep it longer than I thought I could before.

2008-01-24 9:13 AM
in reply to: #1173633

User image

Expert
Virginia

jenado - 2008-01-24 9:55 AM man, i've been really bad about being around on the forum and on commenting on people's logs! it's the beginning of a new semester over here so things are a bit hectic, but that's not really a good excuse also my boyfriend's been gone, and he's a big motivator for me. he's back now but then in a few days he's off to sweden for a week!! either way though, i'm going to try to be around more and be an actual contributing member of this group. :/

I've been slacking on and off too..so don't feel bad!  I'm starting school right now as well, so I'm all over the place too.  We'll get better though!  Sorry about your bf being gone though   I know how that feels, I was in a long distance relationship for 2 years before he moved out to where I live.  Right after he left, I was always down a little bit, but at least you have some stuff like school and tri to focus on while he's gone to help make it a short week. 

2008-01-24 11:46 AM
in reply to: #1173684

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
kimmitri408 - 2008-01-24 9:08 AM

Kristen, awesome weight loss!  I'm struggling in that aspect a lot lately, mainly b/c my eating choices aren't the greatest.  I am trying to re-tool and get better.  I know that's a big reason why my training hasn't been as good...b/c I'm not eating as well as I should and I don't have the energy my body needs.  Circles, right?  I'm doing better though and just taking it day by day.  I kind of have stopped trying to eat SO good and instead eating the things that I like that are healthy.  Lean meats and brown rice and whole wheat pasta...I like them all...but I had convinced myself that I was eating too much rice and pasta and that I wasn't eating enough veggies and stuff and drove myself crazy with it. 

Interesting about road vs. tri bikes.  I'm only getting a road bike anyway, but that's good to know that maybe I can keep it longer than I thought I could before.

I haven' read it yet, but the new issue of "Bicycling" mgazine has an article on tri-worthy road bikes, just got it out of the mailbox!  Will let you know which ones it reccomends.

J

2008-01-24 9:37 PM
in reply to: #1173322

User image

Expert
Michiana
SSMinnow - 2008-01-24 6:58 AM

Brian

Here is my question of the day.  I went to a bike seminar last night and the speakers were from Exclusive Cycles in Madison.  They work with some of the best athletes to build custom bikes and have a pretty good rep in the industry.

When I asked about tri vs road bike for triathlons I got a surprising answer.  They recommended road bikes in most instances. They said in hillier terrian like WI you could create much more power using a road bike.  The one thing I did not ask is if you use a road bike are you using the same muscles you run with so that part becomes harder.  What do you think?

Also learned a ton about gearing, wheels and bike set up.  A very worthwhile two hours.

Suzy

Sounds like a great seminar.

This comes up a lot in the forums and seems to be the #1 question for people getting into triathlon.  I don't have any personal experience on a tri bike.  I own a road bike (Specialized Transition Multisport).  I got a 2005 model in 2006 for $400 off MSRP.  It came with clip-on aerobars, but shifters are on the drops vs. aerobar like on most tri-bikes.  Also it has road bike geometry (seat tube angle).

The best answer I've heard is actually a question.  Do you ride in groups a lot or are most/all your rides alone or in triathlon races?  If you answer the later, then definitely get a tri bike.  For me, I was just getting into it and wanted to have options.  A road bike will allow for group rides and is more than adequate for triathlons.  FYI, group rides are not the place to be leaning over the front wheel, reaching PAST your brake levers.

You will be able to get more aero and ride faster in most triathlons with a tri-bike, but probably not a big deal for the first several races.

Honestly, transitioning from biking to running with my road bike has been a non-issue.  My first couple of bricks felt funny and legs were heavy.  As my training progressed and more race-focused, I basically added a transition run (2-7 miles) to more and more of my rides.  By mid-summer, I was actually faster for the 1st mile off the bike vs. a stand-alone training run - my legs were ready-to-go, warmed up, etc...

I don't know if I buy the "more power on a road bike story."  Those guys/gals surely know more than me.  However, I would think if you're fitted properly on a tri-bike, you will generate comparable power AND get the aero advantages of the tri set-up.  Properly fitted means striking the balance of aerodynamics, comfort and power.  A poor set-up would be super-aero, but your body so stretched out that you are uncomfortable and unable to turn the watts.

To be honest, my bike is sort of a compromise.  It fits pretty well when not in Aero and is quite comfortable.  When I use the clip-ons, I definitely feel a little stretched.  I am pretty flexible for a guy and tend to get more comfortable as I get time in the saddle in aero postion.  One thing I may consider this year is the Fast-forward Seat Post to use in races or long solo rides where I'm mostly in aero position.

My next bike will be a tri-bike, and will get some race wheels, but not this year and probably not next year.  When I do take the plunge, I'll be glad to have my road bike for group rides.

Hope this helps. 

2008-01-25 7:13 AM

User image

Expert
Virginia

Okay team this is starting to grate my nerves...my pool is SO busy lately!  I hate sharing lanes b/c I'm such a slow swimmer, but I will do it if I have too.  I don't really triple or quad b/c that is too much for me right now except for in swim class and we are kind of organized.  What alternative can I do on dry land on days I don't have the time to wait for things to free up?  If it's the morning I can't wait b/c of work and in the evenings, I can't wait too long b/c I need to study and read and get to bed so I can get up for work in the morning.  I'm moving in like 6 weeks....and the new gym I will join will have an open pool starting at 5am...which will help a LOT with time in the morning.  But until then...ideas?

2008-01-25 7:29 AM

User image

Expert
Virginia
And another question that has been running around my mind...is it better to train by time or distance?  My current program does swim/bike by distance and run/walk by time.  I feel like the bikes are WAY too short - it typically takes me 10 or less minutes for the bike portion - which seems like not enough to get any kind of fitness from doing it.  Should just do a minimum of 20 min or something?  I like the program b/c the swimming and run parts started out so slow that I can hang and manage.  But the bike seems to be seriously lacking.  Knowing what you guys have seen from me and my training and the fact that I really REALLY want to take off at least 20 lbs before this sprint tri in june....what is my best bet?  I have 18 weeks before my tri...7 before the 1st 5K and 10 before the 2nd 5K.  My program has me walking, but I feel like I should be running more. 
2008-01-25 9:42 AM
in reply to: #1175412

User image

Champion
kimmitri408 - 2008-01-25 7:13 AM

Okay team this is starting to grate my nerves...my pool is SO busy lately!  I hate sharing lanes b/c I'm such a slow swimmer, but I will do it if I have too.  I don't really triple or quad b/c that is too much for me right now except for in swim class and we are kind of organized.  What alternative can I do on dry land on days I don't have the time to wait for things to free up?  If it's the morning I can't wait b/c of work and in the evenings, I can't wait too long b/c I need to study and read and get to bed so I can get up for work in the morning.  I'm moving in like 6 weeks....and the new gym I will join will have an open pool starting at 5am...which will help a LOT with time in the morning.  But until then...ideas?

I used to hate sharing a lane because I was the worst swimmer in the pool.  I pick a lane that has beginning swimmers in it if I can find them.  They are usually more accomodating and as fearful about sharing. In my pool we split lanes so speed is rarely an issue, but there are only two people in a lane at a time.  If I must share with a speed demon, I spend time warming up using my pull until they are done and then start working out in my own lane.  Don't back off on going because it is a slippery slope.  It is only a few more weeks so be the strong gal that you are and jump in!

2008-01-25 1:03 PM
in reply to: #1175412

User image

Expert
Michiana
kimmitri408 - 2008-01-25 8:13 AM

Get to the pool when it opens (wear suit under clothes for a quick transition from car to water) so you can claim your lane.  Just be prepared for others to jump in.

Nothing beats time in the water swimming, but as Judi said, always have a plan "B."

My evening swims are typically with all the fast kids from my pools swim team.  The coach has been fine with me sharing a lane with them.  I figured out that they don't practice Fridays, so I know I can get a lane to myself then.

And another question that has been running around my mind...is it better to train by time or distance?  My current program does swim/bike by distance and run/walk by time.  I feel like the bikes are WAY too short - it typically takes me 10 or less minutes for the bike portion - which seems like not enough to get any kind of fitness from doing it.  Should just do a minimum of 20 min or something?  I like the program b/c the swimming and run parts started out so slow that I can hang and manage.  But the bike seems to be seriously lacking.  Knowing what you guys have seen from me and my training and the fact that I really REALLY want to take off at least 20 lbs before this sprint tri in june....what is my best bet?  I have 18 weeks before my tri...7 before the 1st 5K and 10 before the 2nd 5K.  My program has me walking, but I feel like I should be running more.

I recommend sticking with swim distance.  As a new swimmer you need to build the confidence that you will cover the distance come race day.  The Pates program has you slowly building up to that sprint distance.  You can switch biking to time, especially for trainer or stationary bike rides, since those distances are theoretical.  The bike program is in distance.  So you may have to convert those to time.  I use 16mph to convert my time on the trainer to distance.  Note, I average 17-19mph on outdoor training rides and 49.5-21mph on races.  You may want to use 12-14mph.  So a 5mi ride would be 21-25 minutes.

It looks like your plan has you start to incorporate runs into the walks in week three.  I think that's next week.  Probably most important now is to do all three walks per week.  See if you can up the pace (e.g from 3.5 to 3.8 mph).  Frequency and volume are more important than intensity, for endurance and weight loss.

If you're comfortable making the bikes longer, I see little risk in stretching those rides to 20 minutes.  You took the time out of your day to train, might as well make the most of it.  Try it, and see how you feel the next day.  If the extra effort results in being too fatigued to do the next day of training, you went too hard and should cut back.

Edited by mbmoran2 2008-01-25 6:05 PM

2008-01-27 7:04 PM

User image

Expert
Virginia

Good advice, thanks all Swim comp at the gym this weekend, so no pool time (classes canceled too). But I am planning on being at the gym when it opens tomorrow to get some pool time in. Hope everyone had a good training weekend!!!

One other thing - is there a way to change your off day in the training plans?  Or do you just have to adjust it on  your own as you go?  I'd like to switch it to Thursday from Monday if that's possible...

Edited by kimmitri408 2008-01-27 7:18 PM
2008-01-27 10:51 PM
in reply to: #1178740

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
kimmitri408 - 2008-01-27 7:04 PM

Good advice, thanks all Swim comp at the gym this weekend, so no pool time (classes canceled too). But I am planning on being at the gym when it opens tomorrow to get some pool time in. Hope everyone had a good training weekend!!!

One other thing - is there a way to change your off day in the training plans?  Or do you just have to adjust it on  your own as you go?  I'd like to switch it to Thursday from Monday if that's possible...

Kim, Just make it whatever day that works for you and flip the work out.  I use my 12 hr shift day as a rest day and hat was alternating until this month when I chnged it to Wednesdays for consistency

Edited by zipp1 2008-01-27 10:53 PM
2008-01-28 11:46 AM

User image

Champion

So how is everybody feeling about their progress against their goals?  I have noticed I am slacking on my personal goals.  I rack my brain every night trying to find that random act of kindness I am supposed to be performing.  I need to get better at that.  The swimming is coming along so I will give my feeling comfortable in the water a B for now.

And you?

2008-01-28 12:27 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

I need a kick to follow a real plan still.  I get out there and just do it, but I know I need to train smarter.  Hoping that with the job change in the next couple months that I'll be better at following a real plan.

I did my longest run to date today.  I'm a little sore, but not in pain...

2008-01-28 1:23 PM

User image

Expert
Michiana
I'm nailing my running goals, getting the miles done and execuing the key work-outs.  My sleep and nutrition habits must improve!

2008-01-28 8:17 PM

User image

Expert
Virginia
Nutrition is going a lot better since I bought a good journal to keep with me and tracking everything. I've lost a few lbs since doing that (vs. before and doing it all online)  so that's clearly a good thing.  I feel stronger and have more energy from working out, but I feel like I need to just make more time for swimming.  It's the hardest one for me to fit in b/c of the time needed after to get ready for work or the other random stuff going on at my gym's pool.  I need to really push myself to get the workouts in, especially since this upcoming saturday is my last swim class.  Sleep is getting better.  I've been getting 7-9 hours a night and that's helping the morning workouts. 
2008-01-29 9:14 AM

Veteran
New Jersey
ohhhh, i've really not been meeting my goals. i'm especially frustrated that i haven't lost ANY weight. especially because i think one major block to being able to run continuously with a respectable heart rate is the 40ish extra pounds i'm carrying around. i'd imagine even losing 5 pounds would make a huge difference on the treadmill.

on the upside, though, i can tell i'm in better shape now than i was two months ago. and now that the dreaded 'beginning-of-the-semester' is done, i'm gonna try to get more consistent...

and i really need to buy a freaking bike!!!
2008-01-30 10:15 AM

User image

Champion
Hey, Brian -

Great question about HR/Pace on TriTalk...I'd been having some of the same questions to a lesser degree ('cause I really am working more with HR, even though I'm following the RW plan).

About my goals... I'm pretty happy with how things are going, although I'm starting to feel like I'm turning into a runner. Not that this is a bad thing, but I am a little nervous. I haven't been in the pool in 1.5 weeks, and I'm OK with it. The first tri I'm even considering doing is in June and it's a 300m pool swim, so I figure even if I give up swimming for a while (not that I'm planning to), I should be OK.

But, I'm doing at half-mary, a 10K, a du, and hubby is talking about going to his parents so I can run a 25K, which I'm jazzed about. (Don't ask why we need a boondoggle to visit his folks - I'm not complaining, especially since his best excuse is to get me signed up for a long race!) And I feel like my running is really improving, which rocks.

I need to get back out on my bike (I've been spinning), but I took Baby into the shop for a tuneup, so I'll just have to spin for another week.

OK, that was a big long ramble to say I'm pretty much happy.
2008-01-30 2:38 PM

User image

Champion

Brian

I also find the question you posed in forum  to be interesting.  I would never have thought to train to HR for Tempo or Interval work outs, especially since I go into a race with a pace in mind.  I do monitor HR during the quality days, but more to judge how hard I can push it during races (even HR starts going above my normal training I may need to modify or vv).  Does that make sense?  If you train to HR, what do you do as it rises on interval 4, 5 or 6? slow down?

I also like the dialgoue that has sprouted up on negative splits.  I go into a race expecting to hit a pace, but if I feel good half way through a half or with the last 10K to go in a marathon, I will take it up a notch. I am not a proponenet of BTTW in the front end.  

2008-01-30 5:47 PM

User image

Champion
Another question from the peanut gallery...I know you all've talked about flipping your training plans around a little, but I'm a bit obsessive.

My plan for the next couple days calls for:

W - tempo/speed 7 miles
R - cross/rest
F - cross/rest
S - long run 8 (but I was going to do 9-10)
Sn - cross/rest
M - easy 2-3 miles
T - cross/rest

I need to move my long run to Sunday, but if I do that, there'll be 3 days with no running, which seems wrong.

I'm thinking of moving Monday's run to Friday, along with moving the long run...so I'd be:

W - tempo/speed 7 miles
R - cross/rest
F - easy 2-3 miles
S - cross/rest
Sn - long run 9-10
M - cross/rest
T - cross/rest

I know I'm obsessing, but does this make sense?

2008-01-31 5:50 AM
in reply to: #1184914

User image

Champion

enders_shadow - 2008-01-30 5:47 PM I know I'm obsessing, but does this make sense?

Your new plan makes sense to me. While I don't think it will hurt you to take three days off running, I never (or rarely) do it.  For me it is more pyshcological than physical.  You are doing cross training so in either case you shouldn't lose fitness.

For what it is worth, I change my plan around frequently based on my schedule.  I just know that I need to get my two quality days in per week and do the best I can.  Are you obsessing? YES!  Is that normal? YES!

2008-01-31 8:18 AM

User image

Expert
Virginia
I think the new plan makes sense as well.  I know my plan will change a LOT in the next few days/weeks.  I start school on campus next week and I am trying to gauge what going up there AND the new time I will need to set aside to study (on top of my 40+ hour a week job).  I am glad I've gotten into this training though.  Last time I started taking classes on top of working, I completely ignored exercise and gained a lot of weight.  I don't want that to happen this time and I'm confident that I can keep up my exercise, especially since I've been getting up at 5am at LEAST one day a week to work out.  As long as I keep that up and keep going to bed on time, I will be a-ok!
2008-01-31 9:10 AM

Veteran
New Jersey
question: when do you all do your training? mornings? i've been an evening gal myself, i like to exercise right before dinner, but i really need to start running outside and at that time (6pm or so) it's already dark.

for me it's not a question of work schedule, since my work = writing, and i can do it whenever i want. but the tradeoff work-wise is that i concentrate better in the morning. anyway, just wondering what other people do.
2008-01-31 9:34 AM
in reply to: #1184413

User image

Expert
Michiana
SSMinnow - 2008-01-30 3:38 PM

Brian

I also find the question you posed in forum  to be interesting.  I would never have thought to train to HR for Tempo or Interval work outs, especially since I go into a race with a pace in mind.  I do monitor HR during the quality days, but more to judge how hard I can push it during races (even HR starts going above my normal training I may need to modify or vv).  Does that make sense?  If you train to HR, what do you do as it rises on interval 4, 5 or 6? slow down?

I also like the dialgoue that has sprouted up on negative splits.  I go into a race expecting to hit a pace, but if I feel good half way through a half or with the last 10K to go in a marathon, I will take it up a notch. I am not a proponenet of BTTW in the front end.

On intervals, my goal is to run the last as fast or faster than the first.  Ideally, they are all the same.  I think you can expect your HR to be low on the first one or two, as HR tends to lag effort, then settle in for all remaining repeats.  I'd have a pace/HR that I expect for the entire work-out.  If my HR is significantly higher (>4bpm) then I know that I'm going too hard and need to temper the work-out.  I guess we just need to be prepared for "bad days" and adjust accordingly so as not to get hurt or hinder recovery.  Also, there's the issue of cardiac drift for long work-outs; though, probably doesn't come into play on anything shorter than 90 minutes.

I think neg splitting is THE strategy for beginners/intermediates.   I ran 3 1/2M last year and on the third developed a race strategy:  Ease into the first 5mi, pick it up to just below LT on middle part, and treat the final 3.1 as a 5k.  It worked great (see below).  The only thing I'd change for my race in April is begin the "just below LT" after two miles instead of five.

disttimeAHR
10:07:57154
10:08:01160
10:07:42159downhill
10:08:09161
10:07:35165
10:07:42167
10:07:43166
10:07:39167
10:07:28167
10:07:56168uphill
10:07:28170
10:07:20170
10:07:20171
0.1 0:00:39 173
13.11:40:38165

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Brian and the Tri Tarts Group - Full Rss Feed  

of 23