BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Pshorty's Group-GO NATHAN!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2008-02-03 12:26 PM
in reply to: #1191088

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Pshorty's Group-FULL-CONGRATS Bill/SESH!!
kerryleigh5 - 2008-02-02 2:07 PM

Do you guys think 2 weeks between the 1/2 and the next tri is enough?

Enjoy the weekend!

I think that is plenty of time. Recovery is all a matter of how well trained you are. If you are properly trained to do the half-marathon then you should recover very quickly and be able to race the next tri without any problem. Two weeks is plenty of time.

2008-02-03 12:37 PM
in reply to: #1191179

User image

Regular
TheMaz - 2008-02-02 3:53 PM

It has been inspiring to hear about you all scheduling and training for these early season tri's. I scheduled Boston and Timberman and thought that these two "A" races (in April and August) are all I would be capable of this season. However, I do want to race more, and you've inspired me to begin researching other races.

Also, congrats to Bill on the PR! I think we do need to remind ourselves (at least I have to remind myself) that the most accurate measurement of training and "progress" is our own performance -- and, to a greater degree, how our bodies feel as our training progresses. Its easy for me to be almost literally pulled off pace in the pool when I'm swimming next to someone who seems to have fins -- and then I tire myself out within minutes.

This week I need to remind myself to take it a bit easy. Two days off this week due to working 60 hours and struggling on the cusp of illness means I need more sleep;  that temporary loss of muscle mass and some miles missed cannot be regained by doubling the volume of a long run. 

At the same time, with April still so far off I find I'm jones-ing for races of size that the Road Runners threw when I lived in New York City -- pulsing throngs of thousands of people. Herein Albany, the races have groups of a couple hundred. I'm missing the energy and encouragement of "group practice" a bit. I've been avoiding getting in touch with a triathlon group here -- I think I'm a bit scared of revealing what a "newbie" I am. Though it seems to me that tri-ers are about as welcoming as people come, I'm still avoiding it.

Anyone want to give me a good reason to get together with a group, a nice mid-winter kick in the pants? 

You should add more races, Chris!!! There are all sorts of in between distances that you can check out. In terms of groups, riding with a group is a ton of fun. You will go much faster, probably longer, you can draft and lead, chat with others, etc. Plus, like Candace said, they usually leave at horrible times in the morning so you can get a long ride done by mid-morning. Of course, you don't have to do it all the time. I don't run with a group but I would if I could figure out a way to work in my set runs and get around the fact that I sometime run at strange times.

In terms of feeling like a beginner, there is the same range of experience at a triathlon that there is at a local 5k (i.e., very, very wide!!). There will be plenty of folks there that are much slower, less experienced than you are. They are almost to a rule, very welcoming. A$$holes are a very rare exception.
2008-02-03 9:44 PM
in reply to: #1090141

User image

Veteran
Portland
Hi All,
So I am in the market for some pedals for my new bike (got a seat today so we're almost there :-) ).

I just bought a pair of Crank Brothers Quattro TI's for my boyfriend's graduation present, and they look super cool, but I am looking for something easy so I'm not sure if they are that... What are you guys pedaling on?

I got a great deal on shoes today-- REI's clearance, so now I just need the pedals and cleats (and I bought clips for the bike today for $5 so I can ride it in the interim).

2008-02-03 10:36 PM
in reply to: #1192607

User image

DC
I unfortunately don't even have the right pedals- I still have regular ones with cages. I wanted to upgrade for this summer, but with the pedals and shoes we'll see if I can afford it. This tri stuff certainly is expensive for unemployed college students...
2008-02-04 4:01 AM

User image

Veteran
I just got my bike this weekend, so I`m jealous of anyone who can get out and ride now. Too much snow and salt here. I`II just have to look at the bike and dream about the warmer days coming. I`m also in the market for pedals and shoes so what r u guys using?
Went for a 1.5 hr run today (inside) knee was ok. The doctor says its just some fluid around the knee and physio will fix it. Off to physio this week.
2008-02-04 8:36 AM
in reply to: #1192757

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

I'm riding these and I love them:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=23735&subcategory_ID=10046

I also have some basic Nashbar brand road pedals on my trainer bike and they do just fine (also a lot cheaper).  They take the basic Look style cleat though, while the Keo pedals take a different size.  Therefore, I have two pairs of shoes.  One for spin and the trainer, and one for the bike.  Oh, and I also have a pair of tri shoes, too.  I kind of have bike stuffitis, though saving up for that ring slowed down the purchases.

Here are the Keo pedals:

(keo classic.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
keo classic.jpg (10KB - 29 downloads)

2008-02-04 8:40 AM
in reply to: #1191179

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
TheMaz - 2008-02-02 2:53 PM

I think we do need to remind ourselves (at least I have to remind myself) that the most accurate measurement of training and "progress" is our own performance -- and, to a greater degree, how our bodies feel as our training progresses.

That may be the perfect piece of advice.

2008-02-04 11:31 PM
in reply to: #1192607

User image

Regular
Solana Beach, CA
kerryleigh5 - 2008-02-03 7:44 PM

What are you guys pedaling on?

Kerry - I switched over from mtn biking so I decided I wanted to stick with mtn bike shoes and pedals. I wouldn't necessarly recommend it for those who want to be super efficient on their bike. But I was thinking of how funny road bikers look walking on their heals. I thought the transitions would be much more enjoyable if I could have some traction under my toes.

I am using Crank Bros Egg Beater pedals (Candy model with the platform) and northwave (velcro strap) shoes.

Crank Bros are great for keeping the thick mud out and allow for some side to side movement in the foot. Again, not necessarily what road/ tri bikers are looking for.

I have standard Shimano SPD pedals on my mtn bike and Cannondale shoes.

Nate - great news on the healing knee!
2008-02-05 8:55 AM

User image

Regular
I have cheap Looks on both my bikes. Look-style pedals are very easy, imo.
2008-02-05 2:28 PM
in reply to: #1194950

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

There were some reviews of the Look Keo pedals in the gear review section.

Link:  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/gear/gear.asp?pid=376

And now that I see you get entered in a raffle for a wetsuit if you submit a gear review this month, my review is up, too.

Edited by sesh 2008-02-05 2:55 PM
2008-02-05 3:14 PM
in reply to: #1192671

User image

Regular
Solana Beach, CA
gracetheterp - 2008-02-03 8:36 PM

I unfortunately don't even have the right pedals- I still have regular ones with cages. I wanted to upgrade for this summer, but with the pedals and shoes we'll see if I can afford it. This tri stuff certainly is expensive for unemployed college students...

I was just thinking how nice it would be to ride with my running shoes. Very quick T2 not having to change shoes!

Tri stuff does add up. I am prioritizing and buying/ upgrading one thing at a time. I noticed a post somewhere suggesting to use old sweatshirt sleeves as leg warmers and plastic bags as toe warmers. Now that is the way to go!

2008-02-05 5:28 PM

User image

Regular
Solana Beach, CA
I just found this website that will create swim workouts for you. You have to register but it is free. I tried it and like the workout they gave me. I will give it a shot tomorrow.

www.swimplan.com

Edited by wyndswept 2008-02-05 5:29 PM
2008-02-06 10:59 PM
in reply to: #1196060

User image

DC
I like that site- thanks for sharing.
It gets kind of boring doing the same workouts over and over.
I just went back through some old emails and found some that our club swim coach sent out over winter break. They were all in the 8-9000 yard range. Riiiiight.
2008-02-07 8:43 AM
in reply to: #1198450

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

gracetheterp - 2008-02-06 10:59 PM I like that site- thanks for sharing. It gets kind of boring doing the same workouts over and over. I just went back through some old emails and found some that our club swim coach sent out over winter break. They were all in the 8-9000 yard range. Riiiiight.

Geez, is that the double Iron Man plan.  A 9000 yard swim sounds just a wee bit rough.  Not to mention boring.

Shin Splints a week and a half before a half mary.  Oh happy day.

But on a lighter side, who all signed up for a challenge this month?  (Get in the pool, Grace.)

2008-02-07 1:43 PM
in reply to: #1198746

User image

DC
Yeahhh. My race in June is 7700 yards (OWS) and I am pretty sure the max I will ever practice is 8000.
Actually general question about that. Those of you who have trained for really long distance stuff- marathons...100+ mile bike races...etc...What percent of your training did you do at high distance? Right now I'm trying to do two sessions of 3000-4000 yards a week, with lots of tempo and sprint work involved, and then a longer continuous swim once a week that I will build up to be about race distance. How much do you do at this long distance?
2008-02-07 2:02 PM
in reply to: #1199483

User image

Regular
gracetheterp - 2008-02-07 2:43 PM

Yeahhh. My race in June is 7700 yards (OWS) and I am pretty sure the max I will ever practice is 8000.
Actually general question about that. Those of you who have trained for really long distance stuff- marathons...100+ mile bike races...etc...What percent of your training did you do at high distance? Right now I'm trying to do two sessions of 3000-4000 yards a week, with lots of tempo and sprint work involved, and then a longer continuous swim once a week that I will build up to be about race distance. How much do you do at this long distance?

Most people doing marathon training will do one very long run every week or other week in the two or so months leading up to the race. Long would be 2.5 hours plus. In terms of actual distance, some plans have you run the full distance a couple of times (26.2miles) before the race while others say that going over 20miles offers no benefit. Most plans also have you do a medium distance run during the week (11-15miles) as well.

In terms of IM training for the swim, most plans I see have you swimming around 3x per week with at least one session at 4-5K yards. But the IM swim is much shorter than 7700 yds which if my math is correct is close to 317miles, right?

That being said, during high school we would swim on average 10,000 yards per day but split between a morning practice and evening practice. During hell weeks (Xmas break) it would get up to 12-13k. Our longest race was 500yd free.

I would guess that the amount of yardage that you will have to do will depend heavily upon whether you want to just finish the 7700 yds or whether you want to race it.

2008-02-07 6:35 PM
in reply to: #1199483

User image

Regular
Solana Beach, CA
gracetheterp - 2008-02-07 11:43 AM

Actually, I was wondering the same thing. My pool sessions are 1400 - 1800 yds. My swim will be 1.5 miles (2600 yds). I am guessing I should do a long continuous swim that meets or exceeds that distance before the race?

Grace, your race is 4.5 miles, right? (Paul, I think your math is off a bit ) I would think you would want to meet that distance but, man, that is a lot of flip turns. Are you doing any open water practice?
2008-02-07 8:18 PM
in reply to: #1200140

New user

wyndswept - 2008-02-07 7:35 PM

Actually, I was wondering the same thing. My pool sessions are 1400 - 1800 yds. My swim will be 1.5 miles (2600 yds). I am guessing I should do a long continuous swim that meets or exceeds that distance before the race?

I would try to get up to 2600 yards, if not just because you are going to have to bike and run afterwards. If you are struggling to finish the swim you will have even more problems on the next two legs. That make sense? Mine is just a swim so I don't have to worry about keeling over as soon as I get out of the water

Grace, your race is 4.5 miles, right? (Paul, I think your math is off a bit ) I would think you would want to meet that distance but, man, that is a lot of flip turns. Are you doing any open water practice?

It is 4.4 miles It is A LOT of flip turns. I am going to try to get into the open water in May, maybe even late April if I get my hands on a full wetsuit (right now I have a shorty but definitely plan on buying the full)...that is also when I have exams/papers/GRADUATION. It'll be a great season.

That is a long tri to have a 1.5 mile swim- HIM?
2008-02-07 8:20 PM

New user

Whooops and that was Grace on my mom's login...I am at home for the night.
2008-02-08 7:56 AM

User image

Regular

It depends on when your race is but as you get closer I would bump up your yardage to stay between 2-2.5k yards per session.
2008-02-08 7:58 AM
in reply to: #1200248

User image

Regular
detrek520 - 2008-02-07 9:18 PM

(right now I have a shorty

Hey! I have a Shorty, too. Here she is in the backseat of my car:

2008-02-08 7:59 AM
in reply to: #1200636

User image

Regular
pshorty - 2008-02-08 8:58 AM

detrek520 - 2008-02-07 9:18 PM

(right now I have a shorty

Hey! I have a Shorty, too. Here she is in the backseat of my car:

Well that didn't work. How do you post a picture on this thing?
2008-02-08 8:01 AM
in reply to: #1200641

User image

Regular
Suffice it to say, I have a bassett hound dog and her name is Shorty (full name Alabama Short Dog 2000XS).

If I figure out how to post a picture you will gently weep at her beauty.

2008-02-08 8:06 AM

User image

Regular

Hey Candace,

I just looked at your races, is this for the California 70.3 in the end of next month? Your swim is only 1.2 miles (~2100yds). A sprint, really, to what you have been practicing for (1.5miles ). Nevertheless, I would bump up your yardage on the swim.
2008-02-08 7:17 PM
in reply to: #1200659

User image

Regular
Solana Beach, CA
pshorty - 2008-02-08 6:06 AM
Hey Candace,

I just looked at your races, is this for the California 70.3 in the end of next month? Your swim is only 1.2 miles (~2100yds). A sprint, really, to what you have been practicing for (1.5miles ). Nevertheless, I would bump up your yardage on the swim.

That just made my weekend! I did a 1 mile swim in Chicago and that wasn't bad at all!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Pshorty's Group-GO NATHAN!!! Rss Feed  

of 33