BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Milaminute and Sparco's Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 55

2007-12-20 9:08 PM
in reply to: #1112845

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Subject: RE: Milaminute and Sparco's Group - Closed

Went to a morning meeting.  Pork souvlaki for lunch.  First time I had it.  Delicious.  Flight home.  Delayed.  Surprise.  Picked up roses for my wife.  Watching Grey's Anatomy with her.  That is all.  No workouts.

Should be able to get a swim in tomorrow

Mmmmm... souvlaki. 

Roses?  Watching t.v. together?  Cheesecake.  I hope the roses were pink .  Glad you made it home safe and sound.

Enjoy the swim tomorrow. 

2007-12-21 2:43 AM
in reply to: #1092026

User image

Expert
Orange County, California
Had planned on spin class and then a swim, but my best friend showed up 10 minutes before I was going to leave. Haven't seen him in a couple of weeks so thought I would spend time with him.

If the my shoulders are slightly sore about half way between my neck and the edge of my shoulder, does that mean I am doing something unsound when I swim? Or is that just my body getting used to swimming like my rear end had to get used to sitting on the hatchet aka the bike saddle?
2007-12-21 6:31 AM
in reply to: #1112853

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
milaminute - 2007-12-20 9:08 PM

Went to a morning meeting.  Pork souvlaki for lunch.  First time I had it.  Delicious.  Flight home.  Delayed.  Surprise.  Picked up roses for my wife.  Watching Grey's Anatomy with her.  That is all.  No workouts.

Should be able to get a swim in tomorrow

Mmmmm... souvlaki. 

Roses?  Watching t.v. together?  Cheesecake.  I hope the roses were pink .  Glad you made it home safe and sound.

Enjoy the swim tomorrow. 

Souvlaki was delicious.  Roses were peach-colored (in honor of GA).  Yes we watched TV together.  No cheesecake.  Dear wife is sick and is trying to stay away from sweets.  Made it home safe, sound and tired.

Define enjoy.  My shoulder is a little achey breaky from hauling around luggage yesterday.  Hope to get in 2500 yds of swimming.

Good day everyone.

2007-12-21 6:42 AM
in reply to: #1113061

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

Cashmason - 2007-12-21 2:43 AM Had planned on spin class and then a swim, but my best friend showed up 10 minutes before I was going to leave. Haven't seen him in a couple of weeks so thought I would spend time with him. If the my shoulders are slightly sore about half way between my neck and the edge of my shoulder, does that mean I am doing something unsound when I swim? Or is that just my body getting used to swimming like my rear end had to get used to sitting on the hatchet aka the bike saddle?

Hey Johnny Cash.  I always go with the people choice.  People are more important than training, especially when it comes to family and friends.

Your soreness is probably normal.  Could be a result of one-sided breathing AND getting used to swimming longer distances.  Keep working on keeping your head low in the water when you swim and breathe.  I like to picture a tow rope attached to the top of my head, pulling my body to the other end of the pool.  When you turn to breathe, if your hips are rotating so that the front of your body is facing towards the side of the pool, you really won't have to move your neck so much to breathe.  Some swimmers actually don't turn their heads much to get in a breath.  They target trying to keep one goggle in the water as they breathe.

Any swimmers out there with advice?

Good day all...

2007-12-21 8:13 AM
in reply to: #1112853

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa
milaminute - 2007-12-20 9:08 PM

Mmmmm... souvlaki. 

gazunteit

2007-12-21 8:29 AM
in reply to: #1113096

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa
sparco - 2007-12-21 6:42 AM

Cashmason - 2007-12-21 2:43 AM Had planned on spin class and then a swim, but my best friend showed up 10 minutes before I was going to leave. Haven't seen him in a couple of weeks so thought I would spend time with him. If the my shoulders are slightly sore about half way between my neck and the edge of my shoulder, does that mean I am doing something unsound when I swim? Or is that just my body getting used to swimming like my rear end had to get used to sitting on the hatchet aka the bike saddle?

Hey Johnny Cash.  I always go with the people choice.  People are more important than training, especially when it comes to family and friends.

Your soreness is probably normal.  Could be a result of one-sided breathing AND getting used to swimming longer distances.  Keep working on keeping your head low in the water when you swim and breathe.  I like to picture a tow rope attached to the top of my head, pulling my body to the other end of the pool.  When you turn to breathe, if your hips are rotating so that the front of your body is facing towards the side of the pool, you really won't have to move your neck so much to breathe.  Some swimmers actually don't turn their heads much to get in a breath.  They target trying to keep one goggle in the water as they breathe.

Any swimmers out there with advice?

Good day all...

agreement!  just make sure you are rotating your body.  breathe however is comfortable.

if they are sore, it sounds like you are just getting used to the distance.  if it is a sharp pain, stop and reevaluate what you are doing.

if the soreness doesn't go away in a relative time frame....

2007-12-21 11:40 AM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

Sounds like sound advice from both Sal and Adam. 

What's everyone up to???  Personally, I am about to make a Chik-fil-A run for my children who have spent the entire morning locked in the basement helping me clean up the toys in the play room.  They want a milkshake because, apparently, Chik-fil-A has the "best ever milkshakes on the planet.  It's true."  I'm not sure how exactly they did their research but I'm not up to arguing with them on this.

2007-12-21 11:47 AM
in reply to: #1113483

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
milaminute - 2007-12-21 11:40 AM

Sounds like sound advice from both Sal and Adam. 

What's everyone up to???  Personally, I am about to make a Chik-fil-A run for my children who have spent the entire morning locked in the basement helping me clean up the toys in the play room.  They want a milkshake because, apparently, Chik-fil-A has the "best ever milkshakes on the planet.  It's true."  I'm not sure how exactly they did their research but I'm not up to arguing with them on this.

True dat Mila.  Had 2 chocolate shakes last time I was down in ATL.

Got my 2500 yd swim in this morning.  Haven't logged it yet though.  I broke 1:40 today on a few of my 100s...whoo hoo!

I'm at work today.  Was supposed to take today off, but I'm on a pretty high exposure project, so I had to PHYSICALLY be here for a meeting this morning.  Met with the engineer, reviewed part set-up for a test I have on January 2 (auugghhh), gonna send out a few e-mails, then I'm OUTTA HERE!

2007-12-21 7:10 PM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Still so quiet around here... we're gonna have to shake things up after the holidays!  Hope everyone has a good weekend.  I'll be checking in but I know it's busy for us all.
2007-12-21 9:24 PM

User image

Expert
I think I may be almost dead. Rode the bike today. Heart rate at 15 miles per hour was 33 beats per minute, max 39 beats per minute. Lance Armstrong is jealous.

Or I could have lost good skin contact with the strap. But I like the Lance is jealous story better, so I am sticking with that.

The shoulder is only sore for half a day after the swim, and I do bi lateral breathe.

But I do notice my hips sink when I breathe, and I do turn my neck, its not just body roll.

And I need help with this whole body rotation thing when I swim. I swim pretty much like a barge, shoulders and body pretty parallel with the water the whole time. I don't seem to rotate much.

I do have the TI video and book, so maybe I need to review. Before I was just concerned about not drowning and getting enough air. Now I seem to have that mostly down, I can work on other stuff. I still huff and puff too much when I swim, but maybe its like running, I just need to do enough of it at slow speeds and it will get better. I don't race to the far end of the pool anymore just so I can breathe, and am swimming slower, but I seem to have just one speed in the pool. Its hard, I can't judge speed in the water, like I can when I am running. No Garmin and no mail boxes or light poles in the pool to help me with speed estimation.
2007-12-21 9:52 PM
in reply to: #1114145

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

Cashmason - 2007-12-21 10:24 PM I think I may be almost dead. Rode the bike today. Heart rate at 15 miles per hour was 33 beats per minute, max 39 beats per minute. Lance Armstrong is jealous. Or I could have lost good skin contact with the strap. But I like the Lance is jealous story better, so I am sticking with that.

That's understandable, I'd stick with it, too .  On the other hand, you might try using HRM gel... you put it on the strap and it works a little better than spitting putting water on it.

The shoulder is only sore for half a day after the swim, and I do bi lateral breathe. But I do notice my hips sink when I breathe, and I do turn my neck, its not just body roll. And I need help with this whole body rotation thing when I swim. I swim pretty much like a barge, shoulders and body pretty parallel with the water the whole time. I don't seem to rotate much. I do have the TI video and book, so maybe I need to review. Before I was just concerned about not drowning and getting enough air. Now I seem to have that mostly down, I can work on other stuff. I still huff and puff too much when I swim, but maybe its like running, I just need to do enough of it at slow speeds and it will get better.

Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding!!!  I think we have a winner .  Yes, slow and steady and really, really focus on form.  Good form will increase your efficiency.  Increased efficiency means faster swims... or so I've heard, anyway .  There are some balance and rotation drills in TI that would be helpful so definitely worth reviewing.

I don't race to the far end of the pool anymore just so I can breathe, and am swimming slower, but I seem to have just one speed in the pool. Its hard, I can't judge speed in the water, like I can when I am running. No Garmin and no mail boxes or light poles in the pool to help me with speed estimation.

I use my HRM in the pool and time my splits with it... if you look at my log from yesterday, I listed the time for each 100 (I needed to add this because otherwise Sal mighta tried to call me out for not doing it lately!).  I know what you mean though, you don't get all the nice feedback in the pool that you do with your computer toys on the bike and run.  I rely heavily on RPE in the pool and adjust my pacing accordingly unless there's a specific higher intensity training goal for a given swim.

2007-12-21 10:29 PM

User image

Expert
What heart rate monitor do you use in the pool?

I mostly use the Garmin 305, and I dont dare take it near the water. I have a Garmin 301 that I used for years, and then I did a sprint tri with the strap on during the swim, but the unit on the shore. It worked fine for the race, but ever since, it no longer records my heart rate, even though it is still great for all the other functions like distance, time average pace etc. I figured the salt water must have screwed up the chest strap. I have taken it apart, put in a new battery, didn't see any corrosion but wiped all surfaces clean anyway. Still no luck.

I do have a cheapie Polar that I do use in the pool, but it only gives instant heart rate, not average or max heart rate. I find that as I swim the water movement does cause the stap to come away from my chestand lose connection.

2007-12-21 10:51 PM
in reply to: #1114145

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

Cashmason - 2007-12-21 9:24 PM I think I may be almost dead. Rode the bike today. Heart rate at 15 miles per hour was 33 beats per minute, max 39 beats per minute. Lance Armstrong is jealous. Or I could have lost good skin contact with the strap. But I like the Lance is jealous story better, so I am sticking with that. The shoulder is only sore for half a day after the swim, and I do bi lateral breathe. But I do notice my hips sink when I breathe, and I do turn my neck, its not just body roll. And I need help with this whole body rotation thing when I swim. I swim pretty much like a barge, shoulders and body pretty parallel with the water the whole time. I don't seem to rotate much. I do have the TI video and book, so maybe I need to review. Before I was just concerned about not drowning and getting enough air. Now I seem to have that mostly down, I can work on other stuff. I still huff and puff too much when I swim, but maybe its like running, I just need to do enough of it at slow speeds and it will get better. I don't race to the far end of the pool anymore just so I can breathe, and am swimming slower, but I seem to have just one speed in the pool. Its hard, I can't judge speed in the water, like I can when I am running. No Garmin and no mail boxes or light poles in the pool to help me with speed estimation.

Hey Cash, if you reach out as FAR AS YOU CAN on your stroke (even when your hand enters the water), this will naturally force your body to rotate.  As you reach out, your shoulder will come very close to your ear.

Try this: Stand up.  Take your right hand and reach up to the ceiling above your head.  Reach up even more.  Notice how your body rotates to your left and your shoulder is right up against your ear?  Bring your left arm up as you drop your right arm.  Notice how your torso now rotates to your right?  Do this in the water and and you'll notice how easy it is to rotate.

2007-12-22 12:18 AM

User image

Expert
Ok what is about Solja boy that is offensive? Have not even heard of it. So you are less naive than you are.
2007-12-22 6:44 AM
in reply to: #1114188

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

Cashmason - 2007-12-22 1:18 AM Ok what is about Solja boy that is offensive? Have not even heard of it. So you are less naive than you are.

Ummmm... I'd tell you except that the words I'd need to use would be censored so it wouldn't make much sense Plus, it might make me blush...

I'll PM you some choice information to look up in the urban dictionary.

2007-12-22 8:42 AM

User image

Expert
Thanks Sal, thats information I can use. I always thought when they talked about core rotation I was supposed to time my hips to twist, but no idea what to time it too.

Reaching with hands makes sense to me.

Ok its Mila's crack of stupid here on the west coast, and time to me to head out to meet the tri club for a ride.

Oh do any of you use a chamois cream, and does it help?

2007-12-22 2:30 PM
in reply to: #1114253

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

Cashmason - 2007-12-22 9:42 AM Oh do any of you use a chamois cream, and does it help?

Yes, it helps; however, I personally don't use the type you buy at the LBS.  Instead I use either Bag Balm (lotion/hand cream aisle of your drug store) or Butt Paste (in the baby aisle).  Smear either one all over your chamois.

Photobucket     Photobucket

2007-12-22 3:36 PM

User image

Expert
31+ miles today on the bike with the Tri Club through Santiago Canyon. 21 people showed up and we were spread out all over the canyon. Lots of different level riders.

Spin class must be helping as I felt and rode much stronger today than I did last time in the canyon.

One of the ladies, a bike store employee was wearing some 99 dollar tights that she said made her muscles less sore and recovery faster. I have heard of them.

Any of you tried then and if so what did you think.

I said I would feel less manly in tights. One of the fast guys pointed out he shaves his legs so what did he care about being manly in tights. The whole group laughed.
2007-12-22 4:15 PM
in reply to: #1114500

User image

Regular
Kimberly, WI

99 dollar tights that help you recover faster? Sounds magical! And better be spun w/24k gold! Guessing she sells them at her store.

I'm learing all about fabric that's "moisture wicking." So I keep my eyes open for the stuff and am always looking for a good deal. Found some discount stuff at Target and Fleet Farm that works great. And it's my new favorite term. Say it, MOISTURE WICKING. It's fun! (Sorry)

Edited by HammerOZZ 2007-12-22 4:16 PM
2007-12-22 6:19 PM

User image

Expert
Target has some pretty decent wicking stuff. I just discovered their C9 wicking socks, lots cheaper than my Wright dual layer socks and seem to work pretty well. I also have some of their wicking shirts. Not as nice as the Nike stuff, but way cheaper and works good enough for me.

Also TJ Maxx has some nice brand name stuff for cheap on the discount racks, but its mixed in with cotton shirts etc. But you can find Nike and even some UnderArmor shirts and shorts for 10 = 15 dollars.

I am right there with you on tights for 100 bucks should be made out of real gold thread.

Ya I know gold is over 800 dollars an ounce now.
2007-12-22 7:21 PM

User image

Expert
Another question.

Today I had to come out of the aerobars a couple of times because my upper back ( traps and rhomboids) were getting sore.

Anything I can do to increase my endurance in the aeropostion besides ride more.

Btw, my spin instructor goes absolutely bonkers when I train in the aero postion. She sees it as offloading/ making the class easier. I explained why I do it, but she still rolls her eyes at me when I do it. Besides the handle bars hurt without the elbow pads. Folded towels dont really cut it as make shift aero pads.

2007-12-22 9:34 PM
in reply to: #1114531

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
HammerOZZ - 2007-12-22 5:15 PM

99 dollar tights that help you recover faster? Sounds magical! And better be spun w/24k gold! Guessing she sells them at her store.

Heh... I bet you're right!  However, I must say that one of my favorite pairs of tights is fleece lined and fabulous and I'm sure pricey, though I honestly can't recall... I bought 'em (and a few very cool other things) about 20 seconds after this phone call: "hi, this is your boss, you rock, so you get to spend $250.00 at very well known cycling website courtesy of your employer."  I *heart* her.

I'm learing all about fabric that's "moisture wicking." So I keep my eyes open for the stuff and am always looking for a good deal. Found some discount stuff at Target and Fleet Farm that works great. And it's my new favorite term. Say it, MOISTURE WICKING. It's fun! (Sorry)

We are all very happy you've discovered moisture wicking.  It's fun to say and fun to wear... what more could you want??

2007-12-22 9:48 PM
in reply to: #1114626

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

Cashmason - 2007-12-22 8:21 PM Another question. Today I had to come out of the aerobars a couple of times because my upper back ( traps and rhomboids) were getting sore. Anything I can do to increase my endurance in the aeropostion besides ride more. Btw, my spin instructor goes absolutely bonkers when I train in the aero postion. She sees it as offloading/ making the class easier. I explained why I do it, but she still rolls her eyes at me when I do it. Besides the handle bars hurt without the elbow pads. Folded towels dont really cut it as make shift aero pads.

What specifically is uncomfortable for you when you're in aero?

Here is the standard answer to any question regarding bike positioning:  make sure you have a proper fit .  Seriously, get your fit checked.  Sometimes even the most minor adjustment can make a huge difference.  If it's been awhile since your last fitting, it might be time for a new one.  If you only had the cursory "here's your new bike, g'head and sit on it and I'll adjust the seat" fit, you need a professional fit done.  If you're sure the bike is adjusted correctly and your position on the bike is right, then it really is a matter of getting used to it... so yes, ride LOTS.  Eventually, it should actually be more comfortable to be in aero than to not be. 

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to agree with your spin instructor a little bit (though I wouldn't ever give you the evil eye in class or suggest that you are making it easier on yourself).  The geometry of a spin bike is not close enough to the geometry of a road or tri bike to really effectively simulate riding in an aero position, in my humble opinion.  If you are just looking for more time in aero without riding outside, put your bike on a trainer at home and have at it.  At spin class, in order to optimize your workout, you always want to keep your weight centered on or over the saddle and want to refrain from leaning on the handlebars.  And yes, spin classes are great for building your cardiovascular base as well as your leg strength so I'm glad you're seeing that translate onto the road!!!!

2007-12-22 10:12 PM

User image

Expert
What is uncomfortable is my upper back/ neck from being bent over and having to raise my head like a turtle.

My low back is fine, its just having to tilt my head back to see.
2007-12-23 12:10 AM
in reply to: #1114734

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
milaminute - 2007-12-22 9:48 PM

Cashmason - 2007-12-22 8:21 PM Another question. Today I had to come out of the aerobars a couple of times because my upper back ( traps and rhomboids) were getting sore. Anything I can do to increase my endurance in the aeropostion besides ride more. Btw, my spin instructor goes absolutely bonkers when I train in the aero postion. She sees it as offloading/ making the class easier. I explained why I do it, but she still rolls her eyes at me when I do it. Besides the handle bars hurt without the elbow pads. Folded towels dont really cut it as make shift aero pads.

What specifically is uncomfortable for you when you're in aero?

Here is the standard answer to any question regarding bike positioning:  make sure you have a proper fit .  Seriously, get your fit checked.  Sometimes even the most minor adjustment can make a huge difference.  If it's been awhile since your last fitting, it might be time for a new one.  If you only had the cursory "here's your new bike, g'head and sit on it and I'll adjust the seat" fit, you need a professional fit done.  If you're sure the bike is adjusted correctly and your position on the bike is right, then it really is a matter of getting used to it... so yes, ride LOTS.  Eventually, it should actually be more comfortable to be in aero than to not be. 

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to agree with your spin instructor a little bit (though I wouldn't ever give you the evil eye in class or suggest that you are making it easier on yourself).  The geometry of a spin bike is not close enough to the geometry of a road or tri bike to really effectively simulate riding in an aero position, in my humble opinion.  If you are just looking for more time in aero without riding outside, put your bike on a trainer at home and have at it.  At spin class, in order to optimize your workout, you always want to keep your weight centered on or over the saddle and want to refrain from leaning on the handlebars.  And yes, spin classes are great for building your cardiovascular base as well as your leg strength so I'm glad you're seeing that translate onto the road!!!!

Ooh...I finally found a point of disagreement with Mila .  Depending on the type of spin bikes used in class (LeMonds at the Y), I can bring the seat up far enough to have the nose over the center of the bottom bracket and can bring the 'aerobars' out far enough and down low enough to simulate tri bike setup.  The only thing I can't do on the Lemond is dip the nose down so that there's less pressure on the jewels.

I still stand on the bike when I can, when we do hill work, although most triathletes like to try and stay in aero position even on the hills...

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Milaminute and Sparco's Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 55