BT Development Mentor Program Archives » PeterAK's Group: THIS TREEHOUSE IS FULL!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2008-01-29 10:07 AM
in reply to: #1181432

Subject: RE: PeterAK's Group: THIS TREEHOUSE IS FULL!!!
hhpvbtri - 2008-01-29 10:04 AM
daspanglers - 2008-01-24 3:24 PM

I woke up early today to try to go for a run - but it was -8 degrees at 5am so I skipped it.  Later in the morning I hit the Y for a short swim (it had been almost 2 months since I'd been to the pool and just wanted to make sure I wasn't too rusty) then a nice short run in the dreadmill.

I'd much rather run outside but the sub zero temps and extra windchill make it very desirable.

I don't know how you all deal with that kind of cold and to even consider running in it - how do you breathe?  I've turned into a complete FL wimp.  I think it was 54 when I went to the gym last night (too cold to run outside - see wimp).  I had a fleece pullover on and my "snow" jacket.  Then again I run 5 mile races in 90 plus degree heat and 95% humidity

Trust me - I'm not to keen on the cold temps either.  It broke 40 degrees today so I'm going running now.  I'm debating whether I should wear just shorts and a t-shirt.....

2008-01-29 10:11 AM

User image

Master
Colorado

Hi guys!

Ok, lets just get this out of the way... I KNOW I'm LAME for not being in here lately but life has been crazy.  I've had my kids constantly so not much time for anything else.  I'm SORRY.  Please forgive me.

I'm back and want to be included.  pretty please..........?

2008-01-29 10:13 AM
in reply to: #1181454

regimom - 2008-01-29 10:11 AM

Hi guys!

Ok, lets just get this out of the way... I KNOW I'm LAME for not being in here lately but life has been crazy.  I've had my kids constantly so not much time for anything else.  I'm SORRY.  Please forgive me.

I'm back and want to be included.  pretty please..........?

You know you don't have to beg.....

How U' doin'?  (nodding, aren't ya)

Oh that NEVER gets old!  LOL

Welcome back anyway! 

2008-01-29 10:16 AM

Regular
Then again I run 5 mile races in 90 plus degree heat and 95% humidity

See, I just can't imagine this. I do not handle heat well, and as such, I'm a little worried about the summer races. Running in 17 F wasn't so awful. If I'd had running tights, I might have been too warm. If I still lived in Southern MN, where there were lung advisories when I was a kid, I'd wear a face mask to breathe through. No big whup.

Cold, just throw on another layer. Hot? Well, there's only so much one can do before sunburn and adequate support become a concern.
2008-01-29 10:17 AM
in reply to: #1181460

User image

Master
Colorado

Thank you.

Ok, so back to bidness.  Anyone want to take a peek at my log today and let me know any thoughts on my notes from my race sim this weekend?  My race in February is a 24 hr mt bike that I'm doing solo.  Laps are somewhere around 1:30.  I will have a pit crew getting stuff ready for me because I lose BIG time in pit stops.  Any suggestions you guys (and of course Petaaaaaaaahhhhh, too) have would be great.  I need HELP!  In so many ways....

2008-01-29 10:23 AM
in reply to: #1094997

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2008-01-29 10:31 AM
in reply to: #1181467

regimom - 2008-01-29 10:17 AM

Thank you.

Ok, so back to bidness.  Anyone want to take a peek at my log today and let me know any thoughts on my notes from my race sim this weekend?  My race in February is a 24 hr mt bike that I'm doing solo.  Laps are somewhere around 1:30.  I will have a pit crew getting stuff ready for me because I lose BIG time in pit stops.  Any suggestions you guys (and of course Petaaaaaaaahhhhh, too) have would be great.  I need HELP!  In so many ways....

Wow - looks fun (I think).  Good notes.  Never had experienced a race like that before obviously but nutrition would be biggest problem for me.  Do you take things out w/ you on the trail or can you only eat in the pits?

What about the gloves - that seemed to be an issue.  You have the same type or did the one's you switched to feel better? 

That's all - can't contribute much. 

2008-01-29 10:32 AM

Extreme Veteran
West Chicago

wow it's like someone gave this thread some fiber - nothing noth in nothing - Ka-blam!

nice to see everyone- I have mixed feelings about the race SUnday - 1st in AG in swim but DFL for race (in AG) - i got smoked on both the bike and the run. Pissed. At. Myself.

Will do more bike and run

2008-01-29 10:35 AM
in reply to: #1181490

hhpvbtri - 2008-01-29 10:23 AM

Well as you can see, I'm back again.  Started back up with the workouts last night after being sick and then business travel that didn't allow for any exercise time. 

As I expected, I've lost some run endurance and the ankle problem I developed after my 6 mile run before I got sick came right back last night so might be time for a visit to the doctor.  I'm starting to worry about being ready for the 15K I signed up for 3/08 now.  I probably wouldn't be except for the ankle.  Oh well, I'll take it as it comes.

Don't get frustrated too quickly - a lay off and sickness will do that too you.  Just adjust slowly and you'll see you'll get right back into.  Trying to do it too quickly could lead to more injury and more frustration (trust me on that one)!

But welcome back and good luck training for the 15K.  You'll be ready!

2008-01-29 10:39 AM
in reply to: #1181513

daveo1101 - 2008-01-29 10:32 AM

wow it's like someone gave this thread some fiber - nothing noth in nothing - Ka-blam!

nice to see everyone- I have mixed feelings about the race SUnday - 1st in AG in swim but DFL for race (in AG) - i got smoked on both the bike and the run. Pissed. At. Myself.

Will do more bike and run

Yeah, but the volunteers were still cute, right?

You did fine - know you know what to work on more.   And you had fun, right?

I've been focusing on my running since that is my worst event.  I'm OK swim - decent bike - but slow at run.  I had a friend tell me that you almost NEVER lose a tri on the swim portion, but can make the biggest impact w/ the run.  I'll take her word for it since she's pretty good at this stuff.  And following that advice I've found my biggest gains in PBs and fitness have come from running.  So it must be pretty sound, huh?

2008-01-29 12:14 PM
in reply to: #1181467

Master
Living in the past

Thank you.

Sister, what help do you need from us? Looking at your log, I predict you'll thump it good! Seriously, this was the consensus of the dudes at the DTC this AM as we were talkin' about your 9+ hour ride this weekend...impressive!

Did I miss it our did you not eat anything after the first pit stop? Not sure what to make of the "no potty stops"....either you had your hydration well matched to your needs or not enough....have you ever calculated sweat rate at the current/predicted weather conditions in Tuscon on race day?

After that, I'm of little use as my experiences don't approach what you are endeavoring to (will!) complete.

2008-01-29 2:25 PM

Elite
In The Peleton

Like Dave said, I'm loving the fiber in this thread today!!!!!!!  Woo-hoo!  We're on track and active.  Good stuff!

Spanglers--hope to see ya at High Cliff!  I've got a camp site reserved next to a gang of other BT'ers, would be great to have you in the area too.  I'll be there with Lori and her bro and his fam. 

Force--find something to sign up for, even a 5k, to keep focused.  Lori is like you too--if she hasn't paid an entry fee for something she can't focus on any workouts.  I think you are more determined than that, but it is worth looking for a B or even C race to help stay on task.

Teresa--keep us posted on the shoulder!  Hope you get good news from the orthopod.  You mention not knowing how far you have run, have you played with the map function here on BT?  It's really easy to use, here's a link to the how to: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1057

Andrea--love the goals!  Good stuff.  Hope the knee is feeling good.

Zilla!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Welcome back.  If it makes you feel better, it was 40 degrees this morning and the low tonight is 4 and we are expecting 2-4" snow.  Blizzard watch starts at 5 p.m.  Fun...

Hilary--keep your eye on that March 15k.  Remember that you can run/walk if you need to.  Finishing will be a big success--don't plan on anything less!  Do you work in a bank?  I'm a broker.

Regimom!!!!!!!! Welcome back.  Nice long ride this weekend.  Crazy!  Tell us more about your nutrition--I think this will be a big topic for this group as the season progresses so it's good to share and learn from each other.

Dave1101--keep plugging away my friend!  You SMOKED the swim.  You know there are other guys looking at the results and envying your water speed.  Enjoy that and work on the other aspects of tri.

I'm still in a state of lacking focus.  I have declared that I will eat better but utterly failed.  Please keep me honest on that you guys!

I'M EXCITED TO HAVE THIS MUCH FIBER TODAY!!!!  WE JUST NEED TO HEAR FROM ERIC (FENTRESSJET) AND WE WILL HAVE ALL POSTED HERE TODAY!!!  I'm off to leave him an inspire...

2008-01-29 2:53 PM
in reply to: #1181762

Master
Colorado
Force - 2008-01-29 11:14 AM

Thank you.

Sister, what help do you need from us? Looking at your log, I predict you'll thump it good! Seriously, this was the consensus of the dudes at the DTC this AM as we were talkin' about your 9+ hour ride this weekend...impressive!

Did I miss it our did you not eat anything after the first pit stop? Not sure what to make of the "no potty stops"....either you had your hydration well matched to your needs or not enough....have you ever calculated sweat rate at the current/predicted weather conditions in Tuscon on race day?

After that, I'm of little use as my experiences don't approach what you are endeavoring to (will!) complete.

Thanks!  I didn't eat anything after the first pit... I've heard a lot of talk lately about getting your body to use fat as a fuel source for long endurance events, so, if I understand it correctly, you don't replace the calories expended exactly or you will end up will tummy troubles too... I have plenty of "reserves" so I'm trying to get my body to use those.  I've estimated about 250 calories per hour should be my intake and it seems like the 2 scoop perpetuem bottle is about right.  When I had a Luna bar later, I felt kinda heavy and icky, although that could have been because I needed to go potty! 

I think going potty turned into one of those things I didn't think I needed to do because it wasn't conveinent.  I had to go, just didn't want to.  I will have to make sure I do this regularly at the race.

*sigh*

The race is coming up soon and I'm getting nervous.  You guys are an awesome boost to me, so thank you. 

2008-01-29 6:33 PM
in reply to: #1182122

Veteran
San Antonio
I'm here! I had a job interview today and was out of the house. Still have not been given the green light to start training again, but damn I am anxious to get out again!

Did you know that the praying mantis is called the alien insect and eats its mate after - well after! Sorry, I have been sitting on my butt and watching too much TV. Glad to see every one back on the forum again.
2008-01-29 7:58 PM
in reply to: #1182582

Elite
In The Peleton

Eric!!!!  Woo-hoo!!!  We have 100% participation today.  Great job guys!

Hope the interview went great Eric.  I did know that praying mantis eats its mate but not that it was called the alien insect.

So, it looks like we're battling some injuries.  My knee just gave me some pain going up the stairs too.  Don't know what that's from, I'm 12 hours into a work day at a desk...  Let's all try to stay healthy okay???

It's 8 p.m.  I'm eating Trader Joe's turkey chili at my desk.  I've been here since 8 this morning.  Tomorrow will be another loooong work day!  Didn't get a workout in today, for the third day in a row.  I just blocked out an hour at lunch tomorrow to go to the pool.  It's on my calendar, so I have to do it!  At least I'm enjoying myself professionally and the high volume months I'm in right now will help pay for that wedding thing coming up!

Okay, ten more minutes of paperwork and I'm outta here!

2008-01-29 8:55 PM
in reply to: #1182670

PeterAK - 2008-01-29 7:58 PM

Eric!!!!  Woo-hoo!!!  We have 100% participation today.  Great job guys!

x2!!  Let's go for 2 days in a row!

2008-01-29 9:02 PM
in reply to: #1182782

Veteran
San Antonio
Well, if some people would participate.......I won't name names.

Edited by FentressJET 2008-01-29 9:02 PM
2008-01-30 9:13 AM

Anyone else getting tired of this weather?  Zilla, you're cold when it hits 50 degrees!

2008-01-30 9:26 AM
in reply to: #1183424

Extreme Veteran
West Chicago

don't worry spring is coming!

2008-01-30 10:03 AM

Regular
Well, I measured my jogging route this morning. Bleh. It's almost exactly two miles. I'm only covering two miles in 30 minutes with continuous jogging. I did four miles in 48 min two months ago doing 5 min jog/ 3 min walk. I really loathe running, really, really, really. All this practice, and I've actually gotten *slower*. I guess I'll look into speed work in the spring. The fact I'm not losing any weight bums me out too, but I find as long as I don't get on any scales, it doesn't bother me. Easy fix.

Yesterday was my jogging day. It was 41 out, and I did 40 minutes! WHEEE! Today it's 17, but it's a strength and bike day. My hair froze walking from gym to the car.
2008-01-30 10:05 AM
in reply to: #1183585

Master
Colorado

Tautery - 2008-01-30 9:03 AM Well, I measured my jogging route this morning. Bleh. It's almost exactly two miles. I'm only covering two miles in 30 minutes with continuous jogging. I did four miles in 48 min two months ago doing 5 min jog/ 3 min walk. I really loathe running, really, really, really. All this practice, and I've actually gotten *slower*. I guess I'll look into speed work in the spring. The fact I'm not losing any weight bums me out too, but I find as long as I don't get on any scales, it doesn't bother me. Easy fix. Yesterday was my jogging day. It was 41 out, and I did 40 minutes! WHEEE! Today it's 17, but it's a strength and bike day. My hair froze walking from gym to the car.

My sentiments exactly on the running AND the scale.  lame. 

2008-01-30 11:00 AM
in reply to: #1183591

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-01-30 11:01 AM
in reply to: #1182782

Master
Living in the past
daspanglers - 2008-01-29 8:55 PM

x2!!  Let's go for 2 days in a row!

My "postal" swim for this AM was cancelled due to the crappy weather (really it's only cold and windy, no bad road conditions). Well, the coach cancelled it and pushed it back to tomorrow. Thankfully I checked my email at 4:00a today and found the note....got to sleep a bit more, yeah!

So either I rest today or maybe run tonight....

2008-01-30 11:25 AM
in reply to: #1183743

Extreme Veteran
West Chicago
Are you supposed to wear underwear with bike shorts? - oops
2008-01-30 11:29 AM

Elite
In The Peleton

PSA: Do NOT wear underwear with bike shorts.  This applies to both over and under stylings.

I'm off to the pool.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » PeterAK's Group: THIS TREEHOUSE IS FULL!!! Rss Feed  

of 27