Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 137

2009-08-21 1:57 PM
in reply to: #2362776

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
Subject: RE: Evondo's Group - FULL
College football season in your house must be a riot.

QUOTE]Betsy0706 - 2009-08-21 2:26 PM Do not doubt the strength of a tiger!  I'm certain that in a battle between a tiger and a gator a tiger would win out any day of the week! 

Humm...24 huh?  Sounds like we're looking at a 24mph bike to me!

I'm likin' the video Justin.  As to Nicole's - who in their right mind would buy a pair of those?  And if they did - I'm sure it's the women who shouldn't be!

evondo - 2009-08-21 1:01 PM Doesn't tigers swimming look more like a doggie paddle? Might be better off being a Gator in the water I think your race number has the fast 24 part but you got the bonus of #1 so you're good to go.

Good luck this weekend to you and KD... you'll both do great the training has been solid and now it's time to race!

Trin2bfast - 2009-08-21 12:51 PM Todd ~ damn brother, that a run of bad luck!  Let's turn this baby around!!!

Let me share my good karma analysis of tomorrow ~ One - purple cap ~ so I will be blessed with the good luck of Betsy and the strength of her Tigers on the swim.  Then my number is 124, which in part - encompasses a portion of Eric's number at his last race which he smoked like a cheap cigar! (244 right? - part is better than none)  lol!  Dork alert, Dork alert!  I am excited for me tomorrow, BUT I am even more excited for our New York Tri Hottie to bend ol' Timberman over her knee and spank him like a red headed step-child!  Whip that A - KD!  You are gonna be GOLDEN!!

And the proverbial cherry on top of this race weekend is Nicole's cheers... way to go peeps!

word to yo mutha!  peace out!

2009-08-21 1:59 PM
in reply to: #2362712

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!
evondo - 2009-08-21 1:03 PM Works for me, I was planning on doing 65mi in Brookshire this weekend. Send me the details of when you're rolling out.  I'll show up beforehand, get the extra 20mi in and meet up...

Trin2bfast - 2009-08-21 1:00 PM Hey Eric - I was thinking of maybe hitting Brookshire (Royal HS) Sunday morning for 44 mile route with the folks from HRTC (roll out at 7 something - gotta double check).  I guess it will really depend on how I feel after the race, then I am working a second job Satrurday night (8:30p-12:30a - wedding reception).  But the plan at this stage is to go out and ride with them. 

Some HRTC peeps are meeting there at 6:45 and getting 20+ before the 44 mile roll out at 7:45.  So I guess if you get to Royal HS by 6:45 you should be good.  I am planning on being there about 7:30... 6 something is a bit early after a 4am wake up tomorrow and a late night workin' Sat night.
2009-08-21 2:43 PM
in reply to: #2362867

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
Oh it is Nicole!  It is!  15 days and counting til the first game of the season!  Smile

Nicole83 - 2009-08-21 1:57 PM College football season in your house must be a riot.

QUOTE]Betsy0706 - 2009-08-21 2:26 PM Do not doubt the strength of a tiger!  I'm certain that in a battle between a tiger and a gator a tiger would win out any day of the week! 

I'm likin' the video Justin.  As to Nicole's - who in their right mind would buy a pair of those?  And if they did - I'm sure it's the women who shouldn't be!

evondo - 2009-08-21 1:01 PM Doesn't tigers swimming look more like a doggie paddle? Might be better off being a Gator in the water I think your race number has the fast 24 part but you got the bonus of #1 so you're good to go.

Good luck this weekend to you and KD... you'll both do great the training has been solid and now it's time to race!

2009-08-21 2:45 PM
in reply to: #2363008

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
Oh trust me, I know.

F-L-O-R-I-D-A
S-T-A-T-E

Florida state Florida State Florida State

Wooo!

Betsy0706 - 2009-08-21 3:43 PM Oh it is Nicole!  It is!  15 days and counting til the first game of the season!  Smile

Nicole83 - 2009-08-21 1:57 PM College football season in your house must be a riot.

2009-08-22 6:38 AM
in reply to: #1856928

User image

Master
New York, NY
Thanks guys!! I'm pumped for tomorrow and feeling great!I can't wait to check out these youtube links when I get some real internet service. Todd...hope you're having a better day than yesterday's $hit show. GOOD LUCK and have fun today Justin!!
2009-08-23 6:42 AM

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Sending good vibes to kelli today. Justin fill us in buddy.

2009-08-23 1:20 PM

User image

Had a great 'A' race for once... The purple swim cam and 24 karma worked... lol!

Here's the race report!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=176407

I hope Kelli is having a great go of it today!
2009-08-24 7:57 AM

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
Nice job to both of our racers this weekend!~

I stalked Kelli's results and after going both cross eyed and blind in that hellacious spreadsheet I found her.

I'll let her tell you all how awesome she is.

Happy Monday all!
2009-08-24 9:46 AM
in reply to: #2365980

User image

Nicole83 - 2009-08-24 7:57 AM Nice job to both of our racers this weekend!~

I stalked Kelli's results and after going both cross eyed and blind in that hellacious spreadsheet I found her.

I'll let her tell you all how awesome she is.

Happy Monday all!

Me too ~ I see what you mean... scanning through the overall list wil give you a migraine!

GREAT JOB KELLI!  Way to race!   Now where is that race report!
2009-08-24 10:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
Congrats for our speedsters this weekend! 

Kelli - we are impatiently waiting for that rr!  Wink

Justin - I heard you swam with gators!  Remind me never to do the Clearlake tri!
2009-08-24 11:56 AM
in reply to: #2366358

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Swimming with gators is incentive not to be the slowest one.

Betsy0706 - 2009-08-24 10:01 AM Congrats for our speedsters this weekend! 

Justin - I heard you swam with gators!  Remind me never to do the Clearlake tri!

2009-08-24 1:50 PM
in reply to: #2366754

User image

Images of the wildabeasts crossing the river and the crocs taking 'em out comes to mind!  I didn't see the pesky critters, but others apparently did.  maybe 4 - 6' long... big enough to have ruined your day! Swim Forrest, swim!

Newtons1st - 2009-08-24 11:56 AM Swimming with gators is incentive not to be the slowest one.

Betsy0706 - 2009-08-24 10:01 AM Congrats for our speedsters this weekend! 

2009-08-25 8:10 AM

User image

Master
New York, NY
Wow....you guys are awfully demanding   This is the first time I've been in front of a computer since last Thursday.  What a nice break that was!  Anyway, I'll start getting to work on a RR today.  This was the first time post-race I felt no rush (and no interest) whatsoever in doing a RR.  I think I needed some time to let everything sink in and fully digest the day.

The short version for now.  Timberman was a really great race!  The day didn't fully go as planned due to nutritional foul up and pushing a little too hard on the bike, but mostly nutrition/GI issues which left me crashing on the run.  Obviously slightly disappointing, but I'm not upset in the least.  I pushed through it and could not be more proud of myself.  Mentally, this was one of the toughest days I think I've ever experienced.  And crossing the finish line was one of the most rewarding moments.  To make the finish even better (by about a million) I got my medal from Chrissie Wellington and chatted with her for a couple minutes (this may have been the highlight of my whole summer!!!).  My friends & family were all right at the finish line, and I only vaguely remember this but my first words after finishing were "my body wants a divorce!".  Haha!  I really thought I'd finish this race feeling geared up to do a full IM in 2-3 years, and maybe I'll change my mind, but at this point I DON'T see it happening.  I'm a little sore but overall feeling really good and can't wait to get back to training
2009-08-25 8:35 AM

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
Glad to hear you survived!

If it makes you feel any better, when I crossed the finish line at my first HIM the first words out of my mouth were "I want Subway SO BAD."

Don't know why... that's just the only thing there was room for in my brain evidently.
2009-08-25 8:44 AM

User image

Right on!  Congratulations on a great effort Kelli ~ it is neat to read about the finisher's medal from Chrissie ~ that's way cool!  I saw some pics from the race on someone else's post and Andy Potts and Chrissie were mixing it up with the crowd... that's one of the coolest things about this sport.

You rocked a great race ~ especially sine this was your first HIM on a tough course!  Now you know what to expect through the race day and you will only get better and stronger from here.  You and your body need to kiss and make up...   Longhorn is like 60 days away!  Good times!!!

2009-08-25 8:54 AM
in reply to: #2368694

User image

Master
New York, NY
Thanks!!!  That also reminds me....during the run, about mile 11.5/12, Andy Potts was walking along the street cheering runners on....BEST motivation I've ever received!!!!

My body and I are made up, and ready to take on Longhorn

Trin2bfast - 2009-08-25 9:44 AM Right on!  Congratulations on a great effort Kelli ~ it is neat to read about the finisher's medal from Chrissie ~ that's way cool!  I saw some pics from the race on someone else's post and Andy Potts and Chrissie were mixing it up with the crowd... that's one of the coolest things about this sport.

You rocked a great race ~ especially sine this was your first HIM on a tough course!  Now you know what to expect through the race day and you will only get better and stronger from here.  You and your body need to kiss and make up...   Longhorn is like 60 days away!  Good times!!!

2009-08-25 9:57 AM
in reply to: #2368737

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
Well that explains the dehydration.

If you are drooling all over yourself, it will be hard to keep your nutrition plan in check.

Oh sorry, now I'm thinking about what I would be doing if Andy Potts was standing at the side of the road cheering me on.

KelliD - 2009-08-25 9:54 AM Thanks!!!  That also reminds me....during the run, about mile 11.5/12, Andy Potts was walking along the street cheering runners on....BEST motivation I've ever received!!!!

Trin2bfast - 2009-08-25 9:44 AM Right on!  Congratulations on a great effort Kelli ~ it is neat to read about the finisher's medal from Chrissie ~ that's way cool!  I saw some pics from the race on someone else's post and Andy Potts and Chrissie were mixing it up with the crowd... that's one of the coolest things about this sport.

2009-08-25 9:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
YEAH Kelli!  You rocked it!  Glad you and your body have made up and no divorce is necessary.

That's really cool about Chrissie and Andy - that's one of the reasons I like them. 
2009-08-25 10:46 AM
in reply to: #2368990

User image

Master
New York, NY
Oh trust me, I had to remind myself to keep running forward and not towards Andy Potts!

Nicole83 - 2009-08-25 10:57 AM Well that explains the dehydration.

If you are drooling all over yourself, it will be hard to keep your nutrition plan in check.

Oh sorry, now I'm thinking about what I would be doing if Andy Potts was standing at the side of the road cheering me on.

KelliD - 2009-08-25 9:54 AM Thanks!!!  That also reminds me....during the run, about mile 11.5/12, Andy Potts was walking along the street cheering runners on....BEST motivation I've ever received!!!!

2009-08-25 10:59 AM
in reply to: #2368737

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
That was a quick make up.

Super awesome job!!! You had to overcome a load during the race and you did it. SWEETNESS!!!

KelliD - 2009-08-25 8:54 AM Thanks!!!  That also reminds me....during the run, about mile 11.5/12, Andy Potts was walking along the street cheering runners on....BEST motivation I've ever received!!!!

2009-08-25 12:55 PM
in reply to: #2368584

User image

Master
Houston
Great race! It's pretty rare to get everything 100% correct in your 1st HIM, there's so much to worry about that has nothing to with your fitness. Best thing you can do is like you said... digest the day and get ready for Longhorn! Way to push through the pain, it's a mentally tough race for sure!

That is awesome about Chrisse and Andy... they are by far my two favorite pros for precisely things like that!

KelliD - 2009-08-25 8:10 AM Wow....you guys are awfully demanding   This is the first time I've been in front of a computer since last Thursday.  What a nice break that was!  Anyway, I'll start getting to work on a RR today.  This was the first time post-race I felt no rush (and no interest) whatsoever in doing a RR.  I think I needed some time to let everything sink in and fully digest the day.

The short version for now.  Timberman was a really great race!  The day didn't fully go as planned due to nutritional foul up and pushing a little too hard on the bike, but mostly nutrition/GI issues which left me crashing on the run.  Obviously slightly disappointing, but I'm not upset in the least.  I pushed through it and could not be more proud of myself.  Mentally, this was one of the toughest days I think I've ever experienced.  And crossing the finish line was one of the most rewarding moments.  To make the finish even better (by about a million) I got my medal from Chrissie Wellington and chatted with her for a couple minutes (this may have been the highlight of my whole summer!!!).  My friends & family were all right at the finish line, and I only vaguely remember this but my first words after finishing were "my body wants a divorce!".  Haha!  I really thought I'd finish this race feeling geared up to do a full IM in 2-3 years, and maybe I'll change my mind, but at this point I DON'T see it happening.  I'm a little sore but overall feeling really good and can't wait to get back to training

2009-08-25 1:19 PM
in reply to: #2369635

User image

Master
Houston
If you don't read Joe Friel's blog he has a recent post...
http://www.trainingbible.com/joesblog/2009/08/everyones-winner.html

What do you guys/gals think?

I know everyone has different goals and reasons for doing the sport but for me I prefer speed over distance.  I get the question "When are you doing an IM?" a lot and I get funny faces when I say maybe never.  Many people I know, including triathletes, believe that longer is better and a bigger accomplishment.  Good thing for me I don't care what they think
2009-08-25 2:15 PM
in reply to: #2369724

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
My goal is to be fast like EvD when I grow up.

Until then though I would rather be fast at shorter distances that to just finish an Ironman in 15+ hours. I can see my self getting to be able to swim 1:30s and bike 22-24 mph but I really dont see myself getting past 8/mile pace soon. I have come across a decent amount of people who heard I was doing a Tri and assumed it was an Ironman. I tell them the "short" distance of the oly and I get "Oh thats not that bad". Too many people judge everyone else on what they think they should do. I am in the boat of who cares what they think, I want to do what I am going to do. 

When I played baseball everone always compared how many HRs they had. I never had many but my goal was to hit for average. I wanted to be on base as much as possible. So that was what I worked on. I got the "why dont you have more HRs" I would say becasue I am too busy hitting 500.   

evondo - 2009-08-25 1:19 PM If you don't read Joe Friel's blog he has a recent post...

I know everyone has different goals and reasons for doing the sport but for me I prefer speed over distance.  I get the question "When are you doing an IM?" a lot and I get funny faces when I say maybe never.  Many people I know, including triathletes, believe that longer is better and a bigger accomplishment.  Good thing for me I don't care what they think
2009-08-25 2:26 PM

User image

my 2 cents ~

I do see what Joe is saying and I do agree with him for the most part.  I am much more about wanting to go faster than I am about going longer.  I am choosing an Ironman, because the sheer challenge of it is very appealling.  With that being said, I am also wanting to go as fast as I can at that distance.  I have already changed my opinion on doing a second IM right away.  For 2010, I am going to focus on a couple Olympics and maybe as many as three HIM's and really work on my speed. 

Saturday was a good race for me, and I enjoy being able to push the pace for shorter distances.  Especially in the run!  But, I can see the allure of slow and steady wins the race!  The joy I see in people doing this sport, just for the sake of being active and the social aspect it provides is what is allowing this sport to grow like it has. 

There is a small part of me though, that gets frustrated by the sheer volume of people who are entering events - just for the sake of completing - and it causes the events to sell out in record time.  The Houston Marathon is a prime example of that.

I do hold more value in regards to 'fitness' when it comes to a sub 2:15 Oly, or sub 4:45 HIM than I do a 15hr+ IM. 
2009-08-25 2:26 PM
in reply to: #2369724

User image

Master
New York, NY
I find this post especially interesting at the moment.  I know a couple people doing IMWI this year, who signed up for the event never having done a triathlon before.  From what I know it seems they've put in a solid amount of training, but their goal along with (IMHO) a number of others who jump into IM, have the goal of just finishing to say they've done on IM.  Everyone has different goals, and I don't think there's a right or wrong here.  It comes individual goals and preferences....some people want to go long, and some want to go fast.

I've lost of count of how many times in the past 2 days, I've been asked when I'm going to go for a full IM.  And I'm not gonna lie, before Timberman this was a huge priority for me and I think I placed a lot of emphasis on going long!  And quite possibly for some of the wrong reasons.  At some point I may do an IM, and I may not, I don't really know.   But if I do my goal will never be to "just finish", that's not who I am.  My priority is getting stronger and racing faster!

evondo - 2009-08-25 2:19 PM If you don't read Joe Friel's blog he has a recent post...

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Evondo's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 137