BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 121

2010-11-17 4:31 PM
in reply to: #3213492

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED!

phxphotog - 2010-11-16 1:58 PM Ironman Arizona is only a couple of days away and I'm already really excited. Tonight I get to meet Chrissie Wellington and Matt Reed. I got to stuff race packets this weekend and it was amazing to see about 2800 people who have committed so much to attaining their goal. I can't wait to see everyone out on the course this weekend. We have a super group of pros that are competing including Chrissie, Chris Lieto, Matt Reed & defending champ Jordan Rapp. Should be a great race and event.

Have fun volunteering to both you and Kathleen and anyone else from this group going to AZ (I cant remember if you are going down this weekend or not Chris and Margot!)!

Edited by kenj 2010-11-17 4:32 PM

2010-11-17 4:45 PM
in reply to: #3214243

User image

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI
zionvier - 2010-11-16 11:16 PM
phxphotog - 2010-11-16 11:58 AM Ironman Arizona is only a couple of days away and I'm already really excited. Tonight I get to meet Chrissie Wellington and Matt Reed. I got to stuff race packets this weekend and it was amazing to see about 2800 people who have committed so much to attaining their goal. I can't wait to see everyone out on the course this weekend. We have a super group of pros that are competing including Chrissie, Chris Lieto, Matt Reed & defending champ Jordan Rapp. Should be a great race and event.

I've always wanted to get chicked by Chrissie... Does it count if you never even see her on the course? or does do I actually have to be in front of her at some point and then get passed? 

Have a great race, looking forward to hearing about it.  Also have fun volunteering I really enjoyed it as it motivates you for your future training.

2010-11-17 9:13 PM
in reply to: #2769226

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
Thanks!
I am looking forward to being a part of the whole experience.  I am sure it will overwhelm me a bit.
I am heading back to CO tomorrow from FL and then back on a plane to AZ on Saturday.
My final race of the season went pretty well. It was a fun event with the run through the Miami Zoo.
I didn't do a race report on BT but did put one on my blog (I could use pictures so it is much easier to write and more enjoyable for those who read it).  Hope everyone is well and has a wonderful holiday.  I will try and get some pics from the race this weekend to post here.
2010-11-18 12:54 PM
in reply to: #3214243

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
zionvier - 2010-11-16 9:16 PM
phxphotog - 2010-11-16 11:58 AM Ironman Arizona is only a couple of days away and I'm already really excited. Tonight I get to meet Chrissie Wellington and Matt Reed. I got to stuff race packets this weekend and it was amazing to see about 2800 people who have committed so much to attaining their goal. I can't wait to see everyone out on the course this weekend. We have a super group of pros that are competing including Chrissie, Chris Lieto, Matt Reed & defending champ Jordan Rapp. Should be a great race and event.

I've always wanted to get chicked by Chrissie... Does it count if you never even see her on the course? or does do I actually have to be in front of her at some point and then get passed? 

Good luck this weekend! I will be watching online and cheering and getting excited to sign up for 2011 on Monday.

I'm bummed that I couldn't go down and volunteer and sign up in person but the $$ and the vacation time just isn't there this year.
2010-11-18 7:12 PM
in reply to: #3216891

User image

Expert
Thornton, CO
calimavs - 2010-11-18 11:54 AM
zionvier - 2010-11-16 9:16 PM

Good luck this weekend! I will be watching online and cheering and getting excited to sign up for 2011 on Monday.

I'm bummed that I couldn't go down and volunteer and sign up in person but the $$ and the vacation time just isn't there this year.

I understand the money thing... this trip already has me worried about how much I'll spend... $1100+ came out of the account today already (gas and hotel)... I haven't even stopped by the IM store yet either

A tip for when you go to register... don't bother filling out the additional information sections... like: "Why do you want to do an Ironman" and "What challenges have you faced to get here" etc.  Keep it short, quick, one or two words and just get through the registration process.  Get that credit card charged and get your slot.  Also, if you haven't already, get a username/password set up on Active.com that already has your address and contact information and stuff set up so it copies it into the form for you.  The only thing I'd say to be sure to list (just in case) is the question about allergies/medical (if you have any, type up a quick 2 sentences in notepad and have it ready to copy and paste).   Good luck on the registration. 
2010-11-18 7:20 PM

User image

Expert
Thornton, CO
Also, Fred.  Just wanted to give one last "thank you" for all the information, comments and for mentoring the group.  I might look like I haven't done much in my logs lately, but I have just not been updating them recently.  They are all on my Garmin and I just have to get them uploaded on here.  I have really appreciated all your comments.

I'll have the MyAthlete GPS tracker on for Sunday.  So in addition to the IM site (I'm bib 289 btw) You can see if I'm still making forward progress or if I'm spending time in the medical tent (j/k).  http://www.trackmyathlete.com/VEmap.aspx?name=050083 

2010-11-18 10:46 PM
in reply to: #3217521

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
Good luck Pete, you've had quite a journey with your employment situation and toeing the line alone is a big accomplishment. 
2010-11-19 5:21 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-11-19 5:28 AM

2010-11-19 4:34 PM

Will be watching you on your GPS unit
2010-11-21 4:53 PM

2010-11-22 1:39 AM

Expert
Thornton, CO
here's my preliminary race report: "Ouch"
2010-11-22 4:27 AM
in reply to: #3220871

Pro
Canandaigua NY

zionvier - 2010-11-22 2:39 AM here's my preliminary race report: "Ouch"

The pain fades, but you will always be an Ironman!! Great job! Congratulations!

2010-11-22 8:51 AM

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI
zionvier - 2010-11-22 1:39 AM here's my preliminary race report: "Ouch"

Pete, congrats Ironman!  The second day after the event was the worst for me.  Looking back on it I should have gone for a swim to loosen things up instead of hobbling around like an old man.

2010-11-22 10:25 AM

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
What a day yesterday! (and I was just volunteering).
All the racers really earned their medals yesterday! The weather was crappy (according to a local the conditions yesterday happens rarely). Rain and wind on the bike. I heard some people experienced hail! Rain showers on and off all afternoon and evening. We (volunteers/spectators) kept changing clothing depending on the conditions. One minute I was wearing five layers including rain gear and the next I was down to a couple of shirt. I think I even got sunburned which I didn't expect since it really was a colder/wet day (in my opinion).
I am so glad I was able to be at the race and take it all in. It is intimidating but ....  I am registered. I got there at 6:20 and didn't get to the registration table until a little after 8:00am. The line to sign up is/was huge. People who I was standing in line with were really surprised by the crowds (they have registered for this race before) and all of us questioned whether it would make it to online registration. I sure hope so for Margot's sake.
Todd was very helpful to me and I want to say thanks! It was nice spending some time with him.
Pete, I look forward to your race report. Congrats!
Finally, spectating/volunteering is hard work!  I got there a little before 6:00am and left at 10:00pm. I was so ready to get off of my feet by the time I got home. I can't even imagine what the racers were feeling.
2010-11-22 10:57 AM
in reply to: #3221381

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI
Kathleen,

Congrats on signing up.  I was really excited and nervous after signing up for my IM.  Hopefully Margot will also be able to get an online slot.  Best of luck with training over the next year.

2010-11-22 11:36 AM

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
zionvier - 2010-11-21 11:39 PM here's my preliminary race report: "Ouch"

Congrats Ironman!
2010-11-22 11:39 AM
in reply to: #3221381

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
Kath2163 - 2010-11-22 8:25 AM What a day yesterday! (and I was just volunteering).
All the racers really earned their medals yesterday! The weather was crappy (according to a local the conditions yesterday happens rarely). Rain and wind on the bike. I heard some people experienced hail! Rain showers on and off all afternoon and evening. We (volunteers/spectators) kept changing clothing depending on the conditions. One minute I was wearing five layers including rain gear and the next I was down to a couple of shirt. I think I even got sunburned which I didn't expect since it really was a colder/wet day (in my opinion).
I am so glad I was able to be at the race and take it all in. It is intimidating but ....  I am registered. I got there at 6:20 and didn't get to the registration table until a little after 8:00am. The line to sign up is/was huge. People who I was standing in line with were really surprised by the crowds (they have registered for this race before) and all of us questioned whether it would make it to online registration. I sure hope so for Margot's sake.
Todd was very helpful to me and I want to say thanks! It was nice spending some time with him.
Pete, I look forward to your race report. Congrats!
Finally, spectating/volunteering is hard work!  I got there a little before 6:00am and left at 10:00pm. I was so ready to get off of my feet by the time I got home. I can't even imagine what the racers were feeling.

Congrats on signing up! Sounds like a crazy day yesterday. I'm double crossing my fingers that is goes online, if it doesn't I'm going to be so bummed. I'll find out in a little over an hour. SO nervous!
2010-11-22 11:49 AM

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Just to put you a little bit at ease Margot, the line on site in Florida was quite long but it went on line and stayed open longer than it has in a few years.  So hopefully that is the case for AZ too!!!  Good luck!

Congrats on signing up Kathleen!  Sounds like a long day yesterday, but I think at times the volunteers are working harder than the athletes!!

2010-11-22 1:15 PM

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
I'm in! Laughing

Took me about 5 minutes from start to finish to get registered. Had all my cc info in a text document so I just had to copy and paste. Thanks for all the advice about online sign up, I'm so happy it worked!

This next year is going to be an adventure!
2010-11-22 1:17 PM
in reply to: #3221787

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
calimavs - 2010-11-22 12:15 PM I'm in! Laughing

Took me about 5 minutes from start to finish to get registered. Had all my cc info in a text document so I just had to copy and paste. Thanks for all the advice about online sign up, I'm so happy it worked!

FANTASTIC!!  I have been sitting here refreshing this thread hoping to hear the good news.Smile

2010-11-22 1:21 PM

Pro
Canandaigua NY

calimavs - 2010-11-22 2:15 PM I'm in! Laughing

Awesome!!

2010-11-22 1:53 PM

Expert
Thornton, CO
calimavs - 2010-11-22 12:15 PM I'm in! Laughing

Congrats, good luck to both you and Kathy next year.  Hopefully the weather is more favorable for you.  Enjoy the training and the race.  I'm not a very excitable person, especially when it comes to races, but this race really brought out another side for me.  I'll see about returning in 2012... No matter what, make sure you return to the finish line for the last 30 minutes... it wouldn't be the same without that experience.  Good luck on your training, I'll continue to watch the two of you and look forward to seeing how you do next year.
2010-11-22 3:46 PM

Expert
I'm so excited for you guys that signed up. I guess the crowds this morning were very large and even after the weather yesterday, lots of people want to sign up.  So great to meet Kathleen yesterday. We did have fun volunteering and even went over and watched people finish for about 45 minutes. At that point, we were both very tired.

Congratulations Pete on your IM finish. We probably saw you 3 times come through our aid station. It was run aid station #4 and it was the one on the South side of the lake right after you came under the bridge.

My cousin signed up this morning as well as a lot of friends here in AZ. I'll sign up next year for 2012. Seems so far away but I know it will be here before I know it.

I was really bummed about the weather for the race as it is usually beautiful here. The faces on the bike riders when it started to pour rain told the whole story. It sucked. It was a very cold rain and not what anyone wanted to see.

I have a tone of pictures on my Facebook page if you want to see them. www.facebook.com/phxphotog
2010-11-22 8:43 PM

Master
Redlands, CA

Great job on the finish Pete!  It was a tough day out there for AZ and you definately earned it. 

I volunteered as a wetsuit peeler and it was chaotic.  It was pretty sad seeing a few people not finish the swim, and alot of people got carted off to medical from hypothermia. 

I'm signed up for 2011! 

Its too bad I didn't meet up with anyone, but it was a chaotic weekend!  We were staying with relatives who just transferred to the Air Force Base there, and were just happy to hang out with someone.  We treated them to dinner at a Brazilian Steakhouse, it was delicious, and $320 dollars!  I'm scared to step on the scale now!

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 121