2011-01-31 9:30 AM
in reply to: #3329866

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Subject: RE: Tripletmom01 Group FULL
tripletmom01 - 2011-01-30 7:56 PM

How was everyones weekend??

We have been a little quiet....anyone have a good topic for discussion?? 

Lisa Jodi and I ocked it out at a team time trial this weekend!  Was hard but fun.
I also got a 10 mile run in and a short swim

Had a great weekend!!!

Went out to dinner with family on Friday night to a yummy Japanese steakhouse ate/drank too much.  

Then spent all day Saturday at the Multi-sport expo!   I got to cheer on the T3 team (our very own Jodi, Tammy, and Lisa)    Saw lots of great effort there!  Made me feel like getting on my bike!!!

Followed expo with birthday dinner with  3 lovely ladies, Tammy and Jodi and her friend Kristy at some weird bar/restaurant (that somebody picked)   I swear my ears are STILL ringing.

Next day ran the 10k expo race!   Ran it but did not race it.   It was very enjoyable.   Super cold out but after 2 miles I was all warmed up and it felt great to run outside.   The last time I ran outside was the New Years eve race.  lol    I run on the treadmill at the slightest hint of cold/heat/rain/just cause I want to.   

Then when I got home on Sunday,  learned that my two daughters Melissa (10) and Sarah (8)  did awesome at their Swim-A-Thon  Melissa did a straight swim of 1.2 miles!   Sarah swam .85 mile wow!  (proud dad moment again)      So we went out and celebrated again.

So after much eating & drinking.  Its time to get serious about getting into race shape.  So cut down on beer, and wine.   for me 1 pound of extra weight = 2 seconds of free speed per mile on the run.   So do the math  I could get a minute faster on a 5K  with a 10 pound weight loss. 

The sad part of the weekend was finding out I was not picked for the "escape from Alcatraz" Tri.         So I registered for the nearly all of my planned first half of the year events to make myself feel a bit better.

2011-01-31 4:18 PM
in reply to: #3257156

Not the best weekend for me. I finally got an MRI on my ankle on Friday, and it seems I have a lot of inflammation and partial tears in my peroneal tendon. So, for the next 2 weeks, I'll be sporting a lovely walking boot. After that, I'll go to PT. I'm supposed to do a whole lot of nothing during that time, which is driving me nuts already. I've had this injury since September, and my PA told me that it wasn't getting better because I keep "banging on it". I was even told I can't swim, which I don't quite understand. I'm going to ask if I can swim using a pull buoy. It's better than nothing. I'm strongly considering sitting out much of this season and working on strength training.
2011-01-31 7:55 PM
in reply to: #3331650

User image

Veteran
, Wisconsin
cyclingsusie - 2011-01-31 4:18 PM Not the best weekend for me. I finally got an MRI on my ankle on Friday, and it seems I have a lot of inflammation and partial tears in my peroneal tendon. So, for the next 2 weeks, I'll be sporting a lovely walking boot. After that, I'll go to PT. I'm supposed to do a whole lot of nothing during that time, which is driving me nuts already. I've had this injury since September, and my PA told me that it wasn't getting better because I keep "banging on it". I was even told I can't swim, which I don't quite understand. I'm going to ask if I can swim using a pull buoy. It's better than nothing. I'm strongly considering sitting out much of this season and working on strength training.

Bummer...hope you heal quickly!  Definitely ask about swimming with the pull buoy.  It might be better than doing nothing (both mentally and physically).
2011-01-31 7:57 PM
in reply to: #3329866

User image

Veteran
, Wisconsin
tripletmom01 - 2011-01-30 7:56 PM

We have been a little quiet....anyone have a good topic for discussion?? 

Any suggestions for water bottles/bento boxes for longer distance training/races?  I just have a single cage on both bikes and I know I'll need something else.
2011-01-31 8:12 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
I use the Xlab super wing.   Holds two bottles in the back and then of course the cage on the bike.   

http://www.trisports.com/xlab-super-wing-deluxe-kit.html

The picture on that link shows regular bottle cages   but I don't recommend that.    Xlab gorilla cages seem to do a great job.    

This being said, I honestly do not like riding with all this crap on my bike.   Makes me feel like I'm piloting an aircraft carrier.  The weight of the bottles and the tools etc  just feels too much for me.    But I doubt I would feel any different with any other system.    Before the Xlab set up I tried some cheaper versions  and they just would fall out of position and would launch bottles etc.   

bento box-  Actually have a BENTO box  lol   I'd like something different  as when I put stuff in mine the sides will bow out a little and when I ride  my knees are closer to the top tube then maybe other peeps?   So at times I scrape them on the sides of the bento box.   I HATE THAT!   So maybe I need to look for something light but rigid.   Maybe pony up for a carbon fiber version or something.   Your mileage my vary
2011-01-31 8:37 PM

User image

Regular
Marshfield
Had a fantastic weekend at the multisport expo doing the time trial and running the 10K.  It was cold but warmed up quickly.  I am amazed by the biking ability of our very own Tammy and Lisa as well as Tracy.  Such a great experience!!!!  I felt very honored to be biking with expectional athletes! 

Unfortunately, my fun came quickly to an end with my surgery this morning.  All went well aside from a nasty reaction to some medication.  I am now 1 titanium plate and 5 screws lighter...lol!  Maybe I can run faster now...ya right!  Pain is tolerable but can tell the healing process will be awhile.  So glad to have such incredible people in my life to distract and support me as sitting and resting is NOT my thing!!!!

I did pick-up the Triathlete Special Issue train smarter, not harder so keep me busy.

Hope everyone has a great week!!!

2011-01-31 8:45 PM

User image

Regular
Marshfield
Hey Tammy...how about some information about pacing for both short or long tris??
2011-01-31 9:36 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Alright  check this out....  

My diabetes running team mates ("Glucomotive")  have now begun calling running the Chicago and NYC  marathons back to back,  "The Dave"  lol    A few of them are in the NYC marathon lottery trying to get in.     OMG makes me feel like doing that all over again.     Miss my buddies  
2011-02-01 6:06 AM
in reply to: #3332120

User image

Master
West Bend, WI

jjkatzenberger - 2011-01-31 8:45 PM Hey Tammy...how about some information about pacing for both short or long tris??

Well that is a fun one

Sprint- all out 110% all the way

Olympic-  you should ideally be able to push close to your LT for this- thats the plan anyways

HIM- ideally youd like to be zone 4- yes its a long time to be zone 4- but thats why we train... some will start zone 3 on the bike and run and build up to zone 4... really its about how well you are trained

Ironman- most people have their own things...some elites can go zone 4 for a lot of their race.  Some people will start zone 2 aqnd try to stay their all day cuz thats where their rndurance is. I think most of us can build the bike up to zone 3 after the first hour and then take the run as it comes with zone 3 again being the where you should be able to be point.

2011-02-01 9:37 PM

User image

New user

CC, TX
Ok guys, I got the lasted update on the vibram shoes:

They are packed in their box ready to be returned!

I did not like walking in them, let alone running. I was really excited but it only took 15 minutes to change my mind. I'm saving my money for the next pair of asics. 
2011-02-04 10:39 AM
in reply to: #3334488

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
pacificsand - 2011-02-01 9:37 PM Ok guys, I got the lasted update on the vibram shoes:

They are packed in their box ready to be returned!

I did not like walking in them, let alone running. I was really excited but it only took 15 minutes to change my mind. I'm saving my money for the next pair of asics. 

Since you are doing the "right thing"

I'm now inspired to return my chia pet, sea monkeys, pet rocks,  and that stupid segway that was going to revolutionize the way cities were built.  All it did was revolutionize the way malls were designed!       BUT  country line dancing will never completely go away, this I have come to grips with. 

2011-02-04 10:44 AM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
How is everyone doing?

Snowpocalypse  and lots of things going on in my life along with the ever present freaking achilles and toe joint injuries have been making it tough for me to focus and get it DONE!   So my training has gone badly. 

Add to this that I have seemingly lost control lately with what I eat.    So I need to get discipline BACK or at the rate I'm going  I will be out of this sport.        And THAT is not going to happen!  So reaching back for some more drive and determination!    Getting back on it!   time is a wasting!!!  

2011-02-04 5:28 PM
in reply to: #3339177

User image

Veteran
, Wisconsin
oriolepwr - 2011-02-04 10:44 AM How is everyone doing?

Add to this that I have seemingly lost control lately with what I eat.    So I need to get discipline BACK or at the rate I'm going  I will be out of this sport.        And THAT is not going to happen!  So reaching back for some more drive and determination!    Getting back on it!   time is a wasting!!!  

X2...I really fell off the wagon with my nutrition this week.  Absolutely no will-power.   I'm getting back on it as well!!!!
2011-02-04 6:02 PM

User image

Regular
Marshfield

Well...unfortunately, I have nothing positive to contribute as I have been sitting on my butt all week recovering from surgery.  I will say that it has drove me so crazy that I am just itching to get back at it!  I am going to ride lightly on the trainer tomorrow morning and walk on the treadmill.  I have figured out some strength training that won't irritate my shoulder as I have some nerve issues going on...dang!!! 

Maybe it is time to post some words of inspiration for everyone or just a good old fashion kicking to get some of us moving!!!  (sorry, but no equivalent word that has as much omf!) lol!!!!

When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.
Helen Keller

2011-02-05 2:13 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
No ice storm here--but did manage to catch a record cold day (about 50 degrees) in Laos on my kayak trip.  Two days of paddling down a very quiet and scenic river, plus exploring a cave which was the site of a battle during the VN war.  Did get in two morning runs in Vientiane and was surprised to find there is now a very active running and cycling scene there. Stayed in villages for three days and ate lots of sticky rice, veggies, and duck. Papaya salad and grilled chicken and fish in the city.  Very natural, simple food; very satisfying. Probably not the most disciplined training, but.....I needed the break! 

Racing a "biathlon" (1500m swim, 10K run) in Singapore next week. Anyone have any words of wisdom RE going from swim to run? Never done this in a race. I tried it in training once and felt a bit dizzy, but maybe that was from flip turns in the pool.....hope it doesn't happen next week!
2011-02-06 1:46 PM
in reply to: #3340235

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Hot Runner - 2011-02-05 2:13 AM No ice storm here--but did manage to catch a record cold day (about 50 degrees) in Laos on my kayak trip.  Two days of paddling down a very quiet and scenic river, plus exploring a cave which was the site of a battle during the VN war.  Did get in two morning runs in Vientiane and was surprised to find there is now a very active running and cycling scene there. Stayed in villages for three days and ate lots of sticky rice, veggies, and duck. Papaya salad and grilled chicken and fish in the city.  Very natural, simple food; very satisfying. Probably not the most disciplined training, but.....I needed the break! 

Racing a "biathlon" (1500m swim, 10K run) in Singapore next week. Anyone have any words of wisdom RE going from swim to run? Never done this in a race. I tried it in training once and felt a bit dizzy, but maybe that was from flip turns in the pool.....hope it doesn't happen next week!

Your Kayak trip sounds awesome!!!!!!

2011-02-06 1:52 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Ok I guess I must have mentioned "sea monkeys" too much.

Yesterday was my youngest daughters birthday.  SO guess what she got?  yup sea monkey kit.  I was like NO WAY!!!

I would talk about my training  but ummmm  that is to say I er...  eh   well???  Nothing to talk about. 

Gonna root for the Packers tonight in the super bowl!   Probably not what the packer fans need  as  My team (colts) was knocked out of playoffs in round one.     Round 2 I rooted for Bears to beat the Packers.   that went over well......NOT!     So rooting for Packers now.  we will see what happens.    There will be Beer and cheese involved tho.  

2011-02-08 6:03 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
OK I think its roll call time:

If we want our group which had so much promise early on to continue, we need to re-commit to it!  

SO I am here and want to continue and enjoy seeing Tammy's responses, questions, topics etc.    Anyone else????

I for one would like to see all of your updates, motivation, jokes, questions, answers, Tri dreams, Sea monkeys, Training tips, etc.    I NEED IT!  

Dang I have seriously fallen off training wise.  Worst training period since I returned to running a bunch of years ago.     I may need an intervention soon.
2011-02-09 7:29 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Beginning to wonder--maybe everyone is still frozen from the ice storm??? If anyone gets desperate for heat, I have an extra bedroom here!  I wouldn't beat yourself up for getting off of training, just ease back into it.  S....happens!  I'm sure wandering around in Laos the week before a race wasn't the smartest thing to do either but hey....triathlon and running are only one part of my life. Just pick up and go on, and don't go overboard trying to "make up" for missed training or dietary mishaps.
2011-02-09 11:39 AM

User image

New user

CC, TX
Hi! Well... last week was very cold and there was ice on the streets (EEK!!). There were 94 accidents in just 3 hrs until they decided to close the main freeway (keep in mind I'm in South Texas). Anyways, I did not venture out of the house for some good 32 hrs and I wasn't feeling like popping the yoga dvd.

I've been going swimming with my fiance and a friend. They are training for a sprint triathlon coming up next month. I was thinking about doing it too, but I'm having a really hard time swimming. My stroke and legs are OK, but for the life of me I cannot breathe properly, I stick my entire head out of the water. I need to look up some videos on youtube or something to help me with this issue.
2011-02-09 11:42 AM
in reply to: #3345922

User image

Veteran
, Wisconsin
oriolepwr - 2011-02-08 6:03 PM OK I think its roll call time:

If we want our group which had so much promise early on to continue, we need to re-commit to it!  

SO I am here and want to continue and enjoy seeing Tammy's responses, questions, topics etc.    Anyone else????

I for one would like to see all of your updates, motivation, jokes, questions, answers, Tri dreams, Sea monkeys, Training tips, etc.    I NEED IT!     QUOTE]

I'm still IN   I need the motivation too.  I have some long trainer rides coming up this week.  I'm struggling mentally and have found myself getting very bored cycling indoors.   I'm planning to take both bikes in for tune-ups in March...so looking forward to that and the idea of it kind of helps me get through this winter stuff.

I'm really enjoying swimming and maybe am making a small bit of progress with endurance.  Also think I figured out something with flip turns yesterday - I flipped in the oppostive direction and the turns felt totally natural.  Really dumb but it was a breakthrough of sorts for me

On  the nutrition front, I've been a bit better this week but I think I'm going to look into meeting with a sports nutritionist.  I think I just do better with structure so I think something like that would help. 

What's (and when is) everyone's first race of the season?

Edited by SpottedCow 2011-02-09 11:45 AM

2011-02-10 6:02 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Congrats on the flip turns. I know they're hard to learn!  My great frustration with swimming is the whole bilateral breathing thing. It's embarassing--I'm reasonably fast (top woman out of the water in my first sprint tri, 7th out of about 90 in the more high-powered Oly), I can do flips and all the strokes, but I just can't get it to feel natural.  When I breathe to the left, I have to slow down and think. My tri-buddy "got it" after about 30 minutes of instruction; I still don't. I got into running because I was a scrawny, klutzy kid who sucked at all other sports, and swim drills make me relive those traumatic moments of childhood!

As for the trainer rides, do you break them up by doing intervals of different intensities?  That really helps me deal with this kind of thing.

Eeek--my first race is Saturday (1500 meter swim and 10K run) in Singapore. I do not feel ready, esp. speed/pacing for the run. My endurance is good after training all last fall for the HM, but speed doesn't come naturally and not having a track doesn't help.  But it is what it is.  It will be good to get open-water experience, and to do only my two stronger events.

Edited by Hot Runner 2011-02-10 6:19 AM
2011-02-10 10:41 AM
in reply to: #3347036

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

I've been going swimming with my fiance and a friend. They are training for a sprint triathlon coming up next month. I was thinking about doing it too, but I'm having a really hard time swimming. My stroke and legs are OK, but for the life of me I cannot breathe properly, I stick my entire head out of the water. I need to look up some videos on youtube or something to help me with this issue.

Here is what I like to watch on youtube to help me with my visualize for swimming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyR7JYllk9U

2011-02-10 10:45 AM
in reply to: #3347046

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
SpottedCow - 2011-02-09 11:42 AM
oriolepwr - 2011-02-08 6:03 PM OK I think its roll call time:

I for one would like to see all of your updates, motivation, jokes, questions, answers, Tri dreams, Sea monkeys, Training tips, etc.    I NEED IT!     QUOTE]

I'm still IN   I need the motivation too.  I have some long trainer rides coming up this week.  I'm struggling mentally and have found myself getting very bored cycling indoors.   I'm planning to take both bikes in for tune-ups in March...so looking forward to that and the idea of it kind of helps me get through this winter stuff.

I'm really enjoying swimming and maybe am making a small bit of progress with endurance.  Also think I figured out something with flip turns yesterday - I flipped in the oppostive direction and the turns felt totally natural.  Really dumb but it was a breakthrough of sorts for me

On  the nutrition front, I've been a bit better this week but I think I'm going to look into meeting with a sports nutritionist.  I think I just do better with structure so I think something like that would help. 

What's (and when is) everyone's first race of the season?

Flip turns are funny.  its one of those things that you try and try and it seems so foreign.  Then one day   and you get it!  and then wonder how you never didn't get it in the first place! 

My first race is a 5K on April 3rd.  "The race that's good for life"   I've wanted to do this 5K for the last 3 years and for whatever reason never managed to race it.   FAST course!!!  PR???

Edited by oriolepwr 2011-02-10 10:46 AM
2011-02-10 10:49 AM
in reply to: #3348210

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Hot Runner - 2011-02-10 6:02 AM Congrats on the flip turns. I know they're hard to learn!  My great frustration with swimming is the whole bilateral breathing thing. It's embarassing--I'm reasonably fast (top woman out of the water in my first sprint tri, 7th out of about 90 in the more high-powered Oly), I can do flips and all the strokes, but I just can't get it to feel natural.  When I breathe to the left, I have to slow down and think. My tri-buddy "got it" after about 30 minutes of instruction; I still don't. I got into running because I was a scrawny, klutzy kid who sucked at all other sports, and swim drills make me relive those traumatic moments of childhood!

As for the trainer rides, do you break them up by doing intervals of different intensities?  That really helps me deal with this kind of thing.

Eeek--my first race is Saturday (1500 meter swim and 10K run) in Singapore. I do not feel ready, esp. speed/pacing for the run. My endurance is good after training all last fall for the HM, but speed doesn't come naturally and not having a track doesn't help.  But it is what it is.  It will be good to get open-water experience, and to do only my two stronger events.

You are racing on Saturday????   Awesome!!  I will live vicariously through you!    Have a great time!        For trainer rides  I use my computrainer  and the Tamster tells me what intensity I need to do it in.   Sometimes I even listen! 

Edited by oriolepwr 2011-02-10 10:51 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tripletmom01 Group FULL Rss Feed  

of 14