2008-06-03 10:03 PM
in reply to: #1437273

User image

Expert
Toronto
Subject: RE: Caius's Group - CLOSED
Invigilator - 2008-06-01 10:05 PM

Caius,

Can you recommend any drills or workouts on the bike (other than just adding mileage) to improved speed?

I don't have anything specific that I can quote but there are a TON of workouts on the net. Also, have a look at the training plans right here on BT and look at the bike workouts. These will give you a good idea of some different possible sessions.

I found these articles on BT and while they don't address your question directly there are a worthwile read.

Improving on Hills - http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1377

Pedaling Technique and Drill Summary - http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1030

The Long Bike: Volume, Intensity...etc. - http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=680

2008-06-03 10:07 PM
in reply to: #1440948

User image

Expert
Toronto
tracyhmcd - 2008-06-03 9:42 AM

Gloria, I too have just started to experience slight pain in my hips.  I haven't done any research nor visited a physiotherapist, though I'm considering doing both.  What has helped me is to both stretch and strengthen my hips.  For stretching I've been doing a couple of yoga stretches:  one is called pigeon and one is a forward lunge.  I've also been rolling the side of each leg and each hip on my foam roller that I got a couple of years ago at the physiotherapist....

Great advice in that post Tracy. Gloria, I'd also make sure that you're fitted properly on your bike - are you bouncing on your seat?

2008-06-03 10:20 PM
in reply to: #1443385

User image

Expert
Toronto

Timmeh! - 2008-06-03 10:40 PM Hello Everyone! Well, I may have bitten off a bit more than I can chew! In the endorphin rush of completing my first tri, I signed on to be on a relay team for a HIM in August, specifically the bike portion. The bike just happens to be my weakest discipline and I thought this might be a good way to get up to speed, so to speak. Anyway, any advise on training to get from my current state of an hour ride at ~17.5mph to the 56 mile distance at a respectable but obtainable pace would greatly be appreciated! I have a little over 10 weeks until the race. Thanks! Tim

Hey, I think this is great! The good part is that on the bike it's all about volume. You can totally do this - there's enough time.

Here's the minimum plan - take the longest distance you've biked so far and add 6-10 miles to it every week until you get to the 56 mile distance. Then just maintain that or better yet go over to 65-70 miles. You'll do MORE than just fine.

If you have more time then add at least 2 more bike workouts to your week but keep them in the 60-90 minute range.

This is exciting!

2008-06-03 10:26 PM
in reply to: #1355942

User image

Expert
Toronto

Well, as you can see I'm catching up again to missed posts. I'm really sorry about all of this everyone. It's not how I envisioned this happening when I signed up. It's all work's fault!!!

I was away on business at the end of May for a week, then back to work catching up all that I missed. Then I was off again for 3 days on a training coure and now I'm out of town again for this week. My training has definitely suffered as a result.

I'm in Mexico City this week and this is the first time I've been exposed to altitude. Mexico City is just over 7000 ft above sea level and I noticed the effect in the office this morning as I was climbing one flight of stairs! This evening when I got on the treadmill at the hotel my lungs felt tight like they just couldn't get enough air, but I wasn't panting. It was a weird but interesting feeling.

Well, at least I have interent access here so I will be able to stay in touch in the evenings. Have a great day everyone!

2008-06-04 8:00 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario
Caius - on a bright note, isn't altitude training supposed to help.

I posted a question in the Triathlon talk forum, and if you get a chance I'd appreciate your input as well.

Thanks,

Neil
2008-06-04 8:14 AM
in reply to: #1443411

User image

Extreme Veteran

Honestly, being on BT and being in a group like this really helped my confidence.  I was given the opportunity to go to two different transition clinics the week before the event.  For me, the week before the event was too close to learn something new, so I relied on what I'd learned here.

Next triathlon, I want to wear some BT gear to show my BT pride!

ETA - altitude definitely makes difference!  We were on Mt. Haleakala on Maui in April - 10000 ft. - for a short time.  I definitely felt the shortness of breath.  (There's a sign there that tells you not to walk too fast) It will make you stronger and when you get back home, you will be flying!

Edited by tracyhmcd 2008-06-04 8:17 AM

2008-06-04 9:47 AM
in reply to: #1443879

User image

Regular
Ontario
tracyhmcd - 2008-06-04 9:14 AM

Honestly, being on BT and being in a group like this really helped my confidence.  I was given the opportunity to go to two different transition clinics the week before the event.  For me, the week before the event was too close to learn something new, so I relied on what I'd learned here.

Next triathlon, I want to wear some BT gear to show my BT pride!

ETA - altitude definitely makes difference!  We were on Mt. Haleakala on Maui in April - 10000 ft. - for a short time.  I definitely felt the shortness of breath.  (There's a sign there that tells you not to walk too fast) It will make you stronger and when you get back home, you will be flying!

My BT trisuit should show up any day now.  It will definitely make it easier to bump into BT'ers at races.

2008-06-04 7:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Cedar Rapids, IA
Caius, thanks for the advise! I was able to get a 90 minute ride in today, and will build volume as you prescribed.

I'm looking forward to the race with renewed confidence now.

2008-06-04 8:55 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario
Got to ask - when is everyone racing next??

I just registered for the Guelph Sprint, so I've got 2 1/2 weeks and then I'm back at it. This one has a shorter bike and run, so at this point the plan is going to be go out harder on the bike and see what's left for the run. If I blow up on the bike, then I'll chalk it up to a learning experience. That's what it's all about right?

I'm loving this..
2008-06-04 9:04 PM

User image

Master
Franklin, TN

I stopped at a tri-store today while out on a client visit.  Was looking the the entry level Felt and the entry level Cervelo (P2-SL).  Will save my pennies for a few months and see what happens. 

I would be interested in locating some interval workouts that I can incorporate into my BT 2x Olympic plan.

2008-06-04 11:39 PM
in reply to: #1443454

Veteran
Idaho

I decided to do the more difficult Blacktail Tri (sprint distance for me) on July 12th, it is at a reservoir so I know there will be open water swimmng on this one. The bike part includes a ride up and back down again on an 11% grade hill and the run is partly on a dirt trail.  I was a little nervous after visiting the course Sunday ( the day After I signed up ) that I was bitting off more than I can chew, but after talking to my Tri Club Pres. and getting some training suggestions to prepare for the couse I feel a little better about it now. 

I haven'd done much in hill workouts with my bike so that is going to be a priority for now.

Cauis- yes now that I took notice of the way I ride I do bounce or shift my hips when I ride. Any suggestions beside the bike fit that can help me with form ? I plan to get to the bike shop Friday for a better fit.

I know that being in the aero position is harder for me since I am not at goal weight, (there is a little more  padding on me that makes it harder right now) . I don't know if trying to be in that position is causing it but I feel the shifting in my hips when I try it more than when I sit more upright. 

Thanks for the help everyone!

2008-06-05 7:46 AM
in reply to: #1446103

User image

Regular
Ontario

squishybelly - 2008-06-04 9:55 PM Got to ask - when is everyone racing next?? I just registered for the Guelph Sprint, so I've got 2 1/2 weeks and then I'm back at it. This one has a shorter bike and run, so at this point the plan is going to be go out harder on the bike and see what's left for the run. If I blow up on the bike, then I'll chalk it up to a learning experience. That's what it's all about right? I'm loving this..

I"ll be doing Guelph Lake II in August.

2008-06-05 7:49 AM

User image

Regular
Ontario

Gloria,

I hope you have better luck finding hills for training than I do.  There is one I am doing repeats on tonight, but it is 150m long and 40-60 high.  I am not even sure it is permanent, as it began as bulldozed clay behind our town's new soccer complex. 

2008-06-05 9:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Cedar Rapids, IA
squishybelly - 2008-06-04 8:55 PM

Got to ask - when is everyone racing next??

/QUOTE]

Unfortunately my next race isn't until July 4th, an 8k run. We have a wedding next weekend, then a family vacation that will take up the two weekends after that, so I will definately be experiencing withdrawal symptoms soon!!!
2008-06-05 9:49 AM
in reply to: #1446134

User image

Veteran
Cedar Rapids, IA
orange223 - 2008-06-04 9:04 PM

I stopped at a tri-store today while out on a client visit.  Was looking the the entry level Felt and the entry level Cervelo (P2-SL).  Will save my pennies for a few months and see what happens.

I dropped my bike off at the LBS yesterday for its 30 day inspection (only about 3 months late!) While there they had to put down some rubber mats as I too was drooling over the tri bikes. I had to laugh, my 8 year old son casually pointed out a felt b2 and said "dad, I think you should get that one". By gosh I think he's right!

Actually, it got me to thinking. If I do plan on purchasing a tri bike in a few years ( I just got my road bike this spring) are upgrades to my current bike such as clip on aero bars and/or upgraded wheels/tires a good idea, or would I be better served to just wait and put that money into a tri bike later? I know that the best and most important thing I need to do is ride, but I do like the idea of tinkering/customizing my current ride a little.
2008-06-05 10:35 AM
in reply to: #1446923

User image

Regular
Ontario
Timmeh! - 2008-06-05 10:49 AM

I dropped my bike off at the LBS yesterday for its 30 day inspection (only about 3 months late!) While there they had to put down some rubber mats as I too was drooling over the tri bikes. I had to laugh, my 8 year old son casually pointed out a felt b2 and said "dad, I think you should get that one". By gosh I think he's right! Actually, it got me to thinking. If I do plan on purchasing a tri bike in a few years ( I just got my road bike this spring) are upgrades to my current bike such as clip on aero bars and/or upgraded wheels/tires a good idea, or would I be better served to just wait and put that money into a tri bike later? I know that the best and most important thing I need to do is ride, but I do like the idea of tinkering/customizing my current ride a little.

I would think that clip on aerobars are still agood investment.  Tri-bike geometry will be enough to adjust to when you get one, without having to get used to aero at the same time.

Even on my wicked cool 1908's raleigh 12 speed, I consider aerobars an absolute necessity for distance riding.

2008-06-05 11:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

squishybelly - 2008-06-04 7:55 PM Got to ask - when is everyone racing next??

I'm registered for a Women's Only Tri in a nearby town for August 10.  It is closer to a full sprint with 500m pool swim, 20K bike, and 5K run. 

If not for this race, I'd probably be suffering the post-event blues.  Someone in another discussion thread referred to this as 'T3'.

2008-06-05 1:19 PM

User image

Master
Franklin, TN

T3 - I like that!

I may do a duathlon on the 15th if it doesn't sell out.  My next main event is July 6th and it is an Xterra.  1/2 mi OWS, 12 mile mtn bike, 4 mile trail run.  Might be able to preswim the course this weekend.

Aerobars on a road bike can be a blessing and a curse.  If you can, I'd have the LBS fit me on the bars so you won't cause any unnecessary discomfort.

2008-06-05 1:24 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario
Timmeh! - 2008-06-05 10:49 AM

Actually, it got me to thinking. If I do plan on purchasing a tri bike in a few years ( I just got my road bike this spring) are upgrades to my current bike such as clip on aero bars and/or upgraded wheels/tires a good idea, or would I be better served to just wait and put that money into a tri bike later? I know that the best and most important thing I need to do is ride, but I do like the idea of tinkering/customizing my current ride a little.

Timmeh - I had aerobars put on my road bike (Trek 1500) just before the season started, and I looked at it as a great investment. Studies show that if you're aero, you're faster. That said, it will also take some getting used to. You'll be in a more agressive position and it will put pressure and stress on areas you're not used to at this point - you're quads will certainly feel themselves being used a bit differently.

When I ride solo or with another person, I try to stay aero most of the time, just so my body adapts - but you can certainly expect a sore neck and perhaps your back for the first bit. But, if you're going to be riding those longer distances as you prepare for the 1/2 iron ride, I'd still advise to ride on the brake hoods for a good portion of time at the beginning. The geometry on our road bikes is designed for us to ride longer distances in a more comfortable position - the Tri setup is naturally a little less comfortable dues to it's setup.

As for other things to do to the bike - definetly invest in a set of race tires (and just use them for race day). They'll be lighter and have less rolling resistance = faster. I want some, but can't justify spending another penny on Tri stuff without ending up sleeping in the yard.

Last thing - when/if you get the aerobars, pay to get them fitted. You'll suffer less, and should end up in a more optimal/powerful position. Even though I got blown away on the ride portion of the race, I was comfortable staying aero for the full hour (except to climb) and had legs for the run.

Final Note - cool handlebar tape = 5mph. It's a known fact.
2008-06-05 8:15 PM

User image

Master
Franklin, TN

Our 11 year old wants to gear up for his 1st triathlon around July 26th!  Whoo-hoo!  I AM a successful father!!!!!  I put him on one of my mtn bikes and me on the other and did almost 5 miles in the neighborhood this evening.  If he is serious, which I think he is as one of his lacrosse teammates did the last triathlon on Memorial Day that I did, I can put some slicks on the mtn bike and he should be able to do a pretty good clip on it.  Grow the sport (w/o pressuring someone) right?

We're camping Friday - Monday and will take the boat.  We should be in the same area as the Xterra that I'll do on July 4th weekend, so I'll have them in the boat and I'll do some 20 - 30 minute OWS on a day or two.  C'mon, our 11 year old will like driving the boat w/the trolling motor!   Will do some OWS with him too w/our life vests on.  I'm excited about him wanting to do Tri since his teammate did it.  Healthy lifestyle!

Yeah, Tim, go aero, but get the bars fitted by an LBS to fit your bike and your riding position so you'll be comfortable.  You will so rock on those!

2008-06-05 10:15 PM
in reply to: #1447359

User image

Regular
Ontario
tracyhmcd - 2008-06-05 12:47 PM

squishybelly - 2008-06-04 7:55 PM Got to ask - when is everyone racing next??

I'm registered for a Women's Only Tri in a nearby town for August 10.  It is closer to a full sprint with 500m pool swim, 20K bike, and 5K run. 

If not for this race, I'd probably be suffering the post-event blues.  Someone in another discussion thread referred to this as 'T3'.

T3?  I can do better than that.  My next tri is a 2 loop course.

T1 Swim-Bike

T2 Bike-Run

T3 Run-Swim

T4 Swim-Bike

T5 Bike-Run

2008-06-05 10:17 PM

User image

Regular
Ontario

Okay, I am nuts now.  I just registered for the Detroit Half-Marathon in October.

LOL-me

2008-06-05 11:16 PM
in reply to: #1446393

User image

Expert
Toronto
triidahogirl - 2008-06-05 12:39 AM

Cauis- yes now that I took notice of the way I ride I do bounce or shift my hips when I ride. Any suggestions beside the bike fit that can help me with form ? I plan to get to the bike shop Friday for a better fit.

I know that being in the aero position is harder for me since I am not at goal weight, (there is a little more  padding on me that makes it harder right now) . I don't know if trying to be in that position is causing it but I feel the shifting in my hips when I try it more than when I sit more upright. 

Bouncing is usually caused by two things: too high of a cadence and/or to light of a gearing. Try slowing your cadence down a bit or increasing your gear (which will slow down your cadence) and see what happens. Try it out in training first of course.

As for the aero position, it is possible that it could be causing your discomfort. I think your "padding" is just fine. Try doing some back strengthening and core excercises. This will help strengthen your core muscles and should help.

My last suggestion is to try doing a ride or two or three without going into the aero position. Use it as a test and see if you're still experiencing the discomfort. If it is, forget about the aero position for while (see my point about core stength above) and just wory about comfort. It's way more important and really you aren't saving much time by being in aero for short to mid distances.

2008-06-05 11:19 PM

User image

Expert
Toronto

Timmeh! - 2008-06-05 10:49 AM [I know that the best and most important thing I need to do is ride, but I do like the idea of tinkering/customizing my current ride a little.

I think you just answered your own question. I love tinkering too so I say go for it. It's part of the fun of the whole thing.

Aerobars on a road bike will feel differently that aero bars on a try bike due to the whole geometry difference but they are a worthwile investment for long distance riding...and for the fun of it

The advice from the others on this topic is dead on especially about getting fitted.

Edited by caius 2008-06-05 11:25 PM
2008-06-05 11:21 PM
in reply to: #1446134

User image

Expert
Toronto
orange223 - 2008-06-04 10:04 PM

I have a Cervelo P2-SL and absolutely love it. I've had it for a year now and I am not exagerating when I say that each and every time I take it out for a ride it just puts a huge smile on my face. It is an amazing bike. Very aero and stiffness of the BB really transfers the power down. It's a damn sexy bike to IMHO. I love it!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Caius's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 38