BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TexasMPGal's Motivated Mentor Group (CLOSED- TRAINING IN PROGRESS!) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2009-02-03 1:41 PM
in reply to: #1943584

User image

Elite
Connecticut
Subject: RE: TexasMPGal's Motivated Mentor Group (CLOSED- TRAINING IN PROGRESS!)
kishop - 2009-02-03 2:32 PM

I know it's more than about height, but how tall are you.  My 1 month old is a 56 too and I'm wondering.  I'll go back for a 2nd fit in a week or so and tell them then what issues I have.

Bummer on missing the snow run. Sounds like fun, hard fun, but fun. It was 28 this morning, 73 now.  Go figure.  Gotta love Texas!

I'm 5'8" with a 32 inch inseam.  I think. 

2009-02-03 1:50 PM
in reply to: #1943603

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Subject: RE: TexasMPGal's Motivated Mentor Group (CLOSED- TRAINING IN PROGRESS!)
ebshot - 2009-02-03 1:41 PM
kishop - 2009-02-03 2:32 PM

I know it's more than about height, but how tall are you.  My 1 month old is a 56 too and I'm wondering.  I'll go back for a 2nd fit in a week or so and tell them then what issues I have.

Bummer on missing the snow run. Sounds like fun, hard fun, but fun. It was 28 this morning, 73 now.  Go figure.  Gotta love Texas!

I'm 5'8" with a 32 inch inseam.  I think. 

And this would be why my friends refer to my bike as the "kids bike"--at 5'3" with a LONG torso and short legs, I have a 46 w/650's....I love him, and his name is Juan. But Juan needs a new saddle...

2009-02-03 2:57 PM
in reply to: #1857347

User image

Elite
Connecticut
A 46????  Holy cow, that is TINY! 
2009-02-03 3:37 PM
in reply to: #1943762

User image

Expert

I was looking back at those bike sizes. Erica, 56 seems big for you. I have a GIANT which come in sizes S,M,L,XL and I ride a L. In number size it would be about a 56. I am 6'1. I know that there are all sorts of nuances with "fit" that the LBS will do, but that just seems big for someone your size. My friend just bought an expensive ORBEA and his is a 56 and it is a Time trial style bike, so the position should not make a huge difference.

2009-02-03 3:40 PM
in reply to: #1943849

User image

Elite
Connecticut
gator22 - 2009-02-03 4:37 PM

I was looking back at those bike sizes. Erica, 56 seems big for you. I have a GIANT which come in sizes S,M,L,XL and I ride a L. In number size it would be about a 56. I am 6'1. I know that there are all sorts of nuances with "fit" that the LBS will do, but that just seems big for someone your size. My friend just bought an expensive ORBEA and his is a 56 and it is a Time trial style bike, so the position should not make a huge difference.

I think so too.  I think I'll have to talk to them before I finish paying for it.  If I am already having second thoughts.....that must say something!

2009-02-03 5:33 PM
in reply to: #1943859

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
ebshot - 2009-02-03 3:40 PM
gator22 - 2009-02-03 4:37 PM

I think so too.  I think I'll have to talk to them before I finish paying for it.  If I am already having second thoughts.....that must say something!

Some of it does depend upon leg length/torso length as well.  I could probably do a little bit bigger, save my legs are so ridiculously short (one of my best friends is 4'11" and she is more leg than torso, and even with 4" difference between us, her hips are higher than mine).

Just make sure you get a good fit and understand the return policy.  A good LBS will let you say THIS ISN'T WORKING after a few rides and get you what will work.  So, don't settle if it's not what works.

However, we do expect pictures once your new love bike is home. Just don't let Bryan know if, once he's headed out on deployment again, if the bike is "sleeping" in master bedroom. 

2009-02-03 9:09 PM

Ann arbor, Michigan

My 56 feels great, just a little long in the arms, but a stem or handlebar adjustment might take care of that.  My LBS did explain that the brand also makes a difference. I was comfortable on a 54 in a Trek and a couple of others, but the 56 felt better in my Specialized Women's Design.  I felt a little cramped on the 54 in the Specialized, especially in my legs.  I think if it wasn't Women's, I'd go for a 54 in the same make.  I just have to trust my LBS. Although, I'm more than willing to let them know what's not working.  I agree, seems like the good one's do offer a return policy that allows you some time to road test just to be sure.  I'm a tall 5'7, I can't imagine another inch being comfortable on a 56, at least not in my make.

2009-02-03 11:27 PM

User image

Veteran
San Antonio

Hi guys,

Thought I'd chime in on the bike fit thing. I am 5'6" with pretty long legs. I have a 51cm bike now.  My first road bike was a 54. If you look at this pic- you can see how stretched

out I am on this 54.

I had back pain after every long ride.  I don.t have any good pics on my new bike but I love hi...I mean it. It is a 51cm Van Dessel frame but I call him Vin. ;-) I'll post some pics on my new bike later.  Good luck on your fit and post some pictures when you get it!

Les

Edited by denny.l 2009-02-03 11:30 PM
2009-02-04 6:40 AM
in reply to: #1944580

User image

Expert
You are certainly very happy in that picture!!
2009-02-04 2:09 PM

User image

Elite
Connecticut
Hey guys.  Bryan is in the hospital again.  They don't know what is wrong with him but they thought on Monday it might be ulcers, gall bladder or a hernia.  Every test comes back normal so far.  I think the next step is a scope down the throat.    We'd appreciate any prayers or good vibes if you get a chance. 
2009-02-05 6:37 AM
in reply to: #1945599

User image

Expert
Yuck. I hope he is OK. Good vibes sent!!

2009-02-05 8:19 PM

User image

Elite
Connecticut
Thanks for all the prayers/good vibes guys.  Bryan is out of the hospital but they still don't know what the deal is.  They are thinking ulcer.  Sooooo, he is TAD to a shore command since you can't go underwater with an ulcer.  He is not happy to leave the boat but doesn't have a choice right now.  Hopefully we will know something more next week.  I just don't get why it takes so long to get some answers. 
2009-02-05 11:21 PM

Ann arbor, Michigan
Hope you get those answers soon.  The unknown is sometimes much more difficult to deal with than the actual diagnosis.  I'll keep good vibes flowing your way.
2009-02-06 5:32 AM

User image

Elite
Connecticut
TGIF everyone!!  What's everyone got on tap for the today and this weekend?  Today is my off day for my half marathon plan so I shall either swim or bike.  Tomorrow is a 5 mile run and Sunday is an 11 mile run.  At lease it is supposed to be in the high 40's this weekend. HEAT WAVE!!
2009-02-06 6:33 AM
in reply to: #1948434

User image

Expert
I hear that! It was -6 here last night with the wind chill and the heat doesn't work in my shizt "undercover" car. I am going to try to run/walk 6 outside. (which would be like 20 for all you skinny little hobbits!!)
2009-02-06 8:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Plano, TX

It's supposed to be nice today (72 and 35mph gusts), so I plan on getting at least 20 miles in on the bike and then try to run/walk 2 miles after.  My first brick training.  First I have to get off work in time so I can do this outside and not in the gym!

-Wes

2009-02-06 9:24 AM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Hey all...sorry I haven't posted something worthwhile and I still owe you a swim post.  I will get it done soon, probably tonight. I just have to finish up an easy 5 miles or so tonight.  Tomorrow is long run and good swim, then Sunday is long ride.  It's all about base miles right now, or so I tell myself, and prepping for that April HIM followed by the Marathon. What was I thinking doing a HIM and marathon within 2 weeks of each other?? That's why I like BT--it's where crazies flock together!   Next week should be less volume because on the 15th I have my FIRST RACE of the year!! Woohoo!! Austin 1/2 Marathon!
2009-02-06 3:15 PM

User image

Lubbock

Have a blast on your 1/2 Marathon! 

Ive just been lurking lately, since I cant post from my Iphone on here.....I have been reading and keeping up to date.

Was out of working out for two weeks but think Im back on track!  At least I have been running, biking and swimming some.  I have a 4 mile race on 2/14/09 but setting my goal to run the first two miles and slow it down a bit and just get through the last two. 

Sounds like everyone is doing well!  Thanks for the words of support! 

2009-02-07 7:43 AM

User image

Elite
Connecticut
I just got home from my coldest run ever.  It was 11 degrees.  Yes, 11.  I had ice in my hair and in my eyelashes.  I met up with fellow BTer Beth (trirific10) at 6:15 for a morning run.  If it was just me, I would have never left my house!  Thank heavens for someone else to hold me accountable.  We cut the run a mile short and headed to Starbucks.  Nice.  I haven't been that cold in a long time if ever!  Hope that warm weather comes later this afternoon!
2009-02-08 6:42 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana

I am sorry I haven't dropped into logs or posted much this week.  If you have seen mine, you'll know it was a little bit of a crazy week, and a pretty big workout week.  I am THRILLED to have a taper week and then a recovery week for my 1/2 Marathon!! Yay yay! While the temps here have been great, the wind has been INSANE this weekend.  That is typical.

Okay, I'm going to do this first post on swimming notes, to go with the bike and run ones.

Swimming is, in my opinion, the most technical and form focused of the three disciplines.  In biking and running different people have different forms and techniques, and that's okay.  You can check out the different top triathletes and they all have some different running and biking techniques--some work high cadence, others work lower cadence, and some, like Hilary Biscay, have what appears to be very unorthodox running styles--but they win.  HOWEVER, the one area where there actually are form rules in order to get faster is swimming.

So my first tip for you: If you can afford a coach, a Master's swim group, etc., even if it's just a few week swim lesson, I think you'll find it worth it if you really want to get faster in the swim.  When I started back to swim I was struggling to get my "hard" 100s under 2:00/100 meters.  It had been YEARS since I had any swim coaching, and that was just neighborhood summer swim team where some college kid who was on a university swim team taught a bunch of kids--not that much personal instruction.  I found a local tri-coach that had swimming lessons and so I started going.  WOW, did she help me fine tune and fix some major glitches that were slowing me down.  Come the end of the tri-season I was hitting 1:45/100m in races! (caveat--with a wetsuit).  I would say if you can't do the coach thing, but have a friend that truly is a good swimmer, have them watch you and tell you what you are doing.  Check out the swim drill tutorials on here, and check out some youtube videos on "triathlon swimming" and those things will help.

Must haves for swimming: swimsuit and goggles.  Good to have: cap.  Women, I highly suggest you wear a cap, keeps that hair out of your face.  Guys, depending upon how much is up top, you might want one...you WILL race in them (required most places) so at least get used to the feeling of it. I have long hair, so I definitely put it all up in a cap. I prefer the more "silicon" types vs. the thin latex ones--those pull my hair way too much, and for some of the races I've done, they've literally popped OFF my head.

Swim toys: So, there are lots of different "toys" that can help you in the pool--and thankfully, most are cheaper than other "tri" toys and some pools just have them.  The most popular tools are: pull buoys (goes b/w the thighs); paddles (different sizes); flippers (so many different ones); kickboards.  I have a pull buoy and paddles.  The pull buoy helps me focus on my form as far as my hips and my arms go.  The buoy keeps me more properly buoyant, and I find I swim faster with the buoy than when I have to kick--and that's because my kick isn't very good and my hips drop more than the should.  The buoy and my wetsuit help with that, and thus, why I can do those swims faster than without.  Upper body strength is my plus in the swim.  The paddles do two things for me: form form form and strength!! Nothing like entering the water wrong or pullying the wrong way with paddles--you immediately know you screwed up!! You will typically swim faster with paddles because you are moving more water in your pull...and this is a strength exercise as well.  I read that Chrissie Wellington ('07 and '08 female Ironman World Champion) say that she doesn't life weights--if she needs strength work, she uses paddles. I can attest to swimming keeping my upper body strong--my last to physical fitness tests for the Army have given me the most pushups I've ever done, and I hadn't been doing many pushups.

Swim workouts: there are a variety of different workout types out there. BT has some great swim focus plans, and of course the tri-plans have swim workouts incorporated.  If you are looking for just swim workouts, a free, good, customized site is www.swimplan.com.   For triathlon swimming you want speed, but you're not sprinting, so when you do your workouts, you need to have less rest between the sets, and--depending upon your proficiency--those sets will be of a longer nature.  In other words, you'll see more 100m/yd+ sets vs. 25s or 50s.  Many plans will give you a pace/time to shoot for in your set.  Example would be, 5x200 on 4:30's--this would mean that when you do them, you have 4:30 to swim a 200, however much time you have once you complete the 200 is how much rest time you get.  Swim workouts come in all shapes and sizes, but each should have a focus: strength, speed, endurance, form, etc. 

Drills are what let you focus on form.  It would take several posts to go over all of them, and I'm no expert, but if you are a BT performance member, go here: SWIM DRILLS and you will find a cornucopia of information! Swimplan.com will explain drills as well if the plan tells you to do it. If you are a newbie swimmer, the drills will help you work on your form.  If you've been doing it for a while, drills should help you focus and isolate those areas you need to work on in your swim.  I do drills in every swim set--typicall as part of my warm up.  While I'm swimming, if I feel my form going to crap, I'll do some drills or go to the buoy/paddles to help me refocus.

Swimming is an area where it PAYS to swim further than your race...and your body will recover MUCH faster than running or biking.  For all but Ironman training, it's not too hard to exceed the race distances in training.  The better your swim endurance, the more efficient your swim, the easier it will be to tackle the bike and the run afterwards.  The swim is, for me, my warm up for the bike and the run! 

There is SO much else to cover with race day swimming: mass starts, sighting, open water, drafting (allowed in swimming!)etc. And we can cover that as we get closer to races.  And if anyone has any specific questions, please ask them.

I know this has been a somewhat general post, but it's much more difficult to describe the swim due to the technique, but I can say with confidence, the more time you spend in the pool and you spend swimming, the more confident you will be come race day. 

Questions?

2009-02-08 7:56 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana

A gift.  So, in my log today I mentioned I was making muffins.  I love to cook, and I like to make muffins or waffles on the weekend that I can eat throughout the week (single gal cooking).  I also like to take recipes and change them up to make them "healthier." I have pretty much found that I can sub pumpkin, sweet potato, or applesauce for all, or at least 1/2 of the oil/fat requirement in most baking dishes.  Erica said I should make them for you, but since that's tough...I will give you the recipe.  It took me maybe 15 minutes to mix it up.

Pumpkin-Pecan muffins
1 Cup whole wheat flour
3/4 Cup sugar (I use sucanat--it's natural, unrefined sugar)
1/2 Can (8oz or so) canned, unsweetened pumpkin
1/4 Cup applesauce
1 Large egg
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp vanilla
3/4 Cup chopped pecans
1 Cup raisens plumped (put them in warm water for about 5 min, then drain)

Pre-heat oven to 350. Mix all of the ingredients together, spoon into muffin tin (spray with pam/cooking spray--don't use paper liners, it will stick), cook for 25-30 mins (until toothpick comes out clean), then let cool on a drying rack.

MMM, so yummy when warm with a little cherry butter....

So there you go, gift from me to you and so EASY!
1/2 tsp salt

2009-02-08 9:38 PM
in reply to: #1951743

User image

Veteran
Plano, TX

Thanks for the swim tips and links!  I didn't even know about the swim drills on BT... there is so much on this site I have yet to take advantage of!

---Wes

2009-02-09 5:42 PM

User image

Lubbock

Okay, I know everyone has different opinions but whith those set aside what items.....when on a budget should you get for your first Tri.....or what is most important.

my thoughts are

Swim- Swim Suit (have $40) wet suit (used plan to spend about $100) goggles ($10) cap (?)

Run- shoes (got fitted spent $100) .....anything else here????

Bike- correct shorts (?) helmet ($50) bike*($0-$1500)

* okay I have a $100 Target Mountain bike....it is slow and not good at hitting gears....but dont want to spend a million yet.  But dont want to be fighting my bike my first tri. So should I use this bike (uh), buy a older used road bike and tune it up $300, buy a newer used road bike $750, buy a new bike $1500 

Anything else I need to invest in.....and help in the bike area.....I have read many a posts that say ride what you have.....but when what you have is horrible....wont it make the bike portion even worse???!!

Thanks for your help in advance

2009-02-09 5:43 PM

User image

Lubbock
PS Does anyone have myspace links?????
2009-02-09 6:44 PM
in reply to: #1953399

User image

Expert
On the bike front. I bought a New GIANT OCR3 for $600 two years ago. I added speed play clipless pedals ($100) and love it. I could afford to upgrade, but I won't.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TexasMPGal's Motivated Mentor Group (CLOSED- TRAINING IN PROGRESS!) Rss Feed  

of 20