BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tamio's Group - CLOSED - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2009-06-04 11:32 AM
in reply to: #2078490

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: Tamio's Group - CLOSED - FULL

Good luck to the racers this weekend! Jeff-I will send you a little mental "kumbaya" so you will be better by the race.  Listening to me sing would quickly distract you from any type of pain no matter how severe.

I took it easy for a couple of days after last Saturday's race but now back in the swing of things.  May do a duathlon in early August but next currently planned tri will be an Olympic in Sept. Hope it will warm up for the folks up North.  Plenty of heat and humidity down here on the Gulf Coast.

Randy 

2009-06-04 8:26 PM

User image

Veteran
I'm doing the Mooseman 1/2 iron on Sunday.....live video feed on the mooseman website if you are interested....

Jeff - sending you healing thoughts....do you use the foam roller? Zensah compression leg sleeves?
2009-06-04 8:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL

T- Best of luck this weekend!  One of my co-workers is actually on her way out there from with her local tri group....I beleive it is LPAC.....or something like that from here in Chicago.

I've got Tri-Shark sprint race on Saturday (an "A" race for lots of central IL pple.....with nice bikes and fast kids.  Records will be broken....but not by me

Sunday is a metric century (62miles) bike ride to prep for the 1st half iron on the 20th.

By the way, work is still Out of control. Maybe next week?????? I can get back to normal training schedule/life)

PS....I love my foam roller.

2009-06-04 8:36 PM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
Sorry I've been absent for a few days.  Its been a busy work week.

I have my first race Sunday--Keuka Lake Sprint.  Getting really excited about it now.

Finally tonight I got my first OWS in.  Water temp was 56 deg. but didn't feel nearly as bad and I expected.  I wore a sleeveless suit and a neoprene cap.  I think the cap did a lot to help keep my warm.  I did notice that my arms seemed to get tired pretty fast--don't know if this was the cold water, current, waves or what.  Swam for about 15 minutes which hopefully put me close to race distance.

Jeff--good luck with the calf.  Be smart--don't damage it more but going to hard.

Tami--good luck in your half this weekend!

George
2009-06-04 9:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Good luck George and Tami (and anyone else racing this weekend!)

Tami - I'm stuck working all weekend, so I may very well be watching your race - post your bib number if you can and we'll look out for you!

Matt
2009-06-04 10:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
wow lots of people racing this weekend.

Looks like everyone was a bit MIA this week. I was a bit under the weather earlieer in teh week. I even took tuesday off of work so rest. however that night I went to my run practise. I figured if I felt too sick I would just go home. I ended up having a great run.

On Wednesday I uppsed my distance for my run - first time ever running 12km - I get a WOHOO.

Tonight you would think I would take it easy but no - brick practise. I did bike - run - repeat times 4. Lots of practising for transitions. It was a great practise. changing of shoes got faster each time - but I suck at clipping in -lost too much time on that.

I am racing this weekend but only doing a 5km race. I am hoping for a PB - although I haven't been practising speedwork so we will see. After the race they are serving a pancake breakfast so I am going to use that as an incentive to run faster.

Good luck to everyone racing - and don't get injured.

2009-06-07 9:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Well how did everyone do that was racing this weekend?  Lets see some RR's!
2009-06-07 5:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland Area
well let just say the swim was a bit more difficult than i expected!  I've swan 2000 yards multiple times with little or no problem, but found myself continously going off course today.  Needless to say the swim sucked!

Bike was good, caught my breath after first mile or so, finally got the bike up in speed, 39mph on two occassions, that was awesome.

The run... well i now now i need more brick workouts in my schedule!  after the turn i burst the blister i developed and ended the race with a bloody heel, got the stained shoes to prove it!
2009-06-07 5:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland Area
With all the above said... I love this sport!!!!!!!!!!!

And now I can refer to myself as a triathlete!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Although I missed my goal of 1:35, swim  helped a lot in that, I did finish in under 2 hours.  Once results are posted I'll post my race report.

Will keep you updated.

How did everyone else do?
2009-06-07 5:57 PM
in reply to: #2200537

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
abrezo - 2009-06-07 5:50 PM well let just say the swim was a bit more difficult than i expected!  I've swan 2000 yards multiple times with little or no problem, but found myself continously going off course today.  Needless to say the swim sucked!

Bike was good, caught my breath after first mile or so, finally got the bike up in speed, 39mph on two occassions, that was awesome.

The run... well i now now i need more brick workouts in my schedule!  after the turn i burst the blister i developed and ended the race with a bloody heel, got the stained shoes to prove it!

Sounds exactly like my first race! Awesome aint it?

Anyway today was a rest day for me....had to work some, and my boy and I played in our piano recital!  He played a solo piece, we played a duet, then I played a solo piece!  It was really fun!  I bunch of 8 year old kids and a 40 year old guy!  I played Georgia on my Mind....it was a blast!

Next week is an easy week in my running plan, so I'll be doing some bricks to toughen it up a little...

Matt
2009-06-07 8:42 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Adam-way to go!!! Good to get the first one behind you.  Now we can plan for what's next   

2009-06-07 9:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Glendale, California

I'm jealous of all of you who raced this weekend. My first race of the season is next weekend, a sprint. I was traveling for work this week and then we had my daughter's 9 yo birthday party in our backyard. I was able to squeeze in a hill bike ride Saturday and a hill run Sunday . . . but have been suffering from stress and migraines.

So I'm going to head back to the pool tomorrow for the first time in a week, looking to try out my wetsuit for the first time. I'm hoping the swim will feel therapeutic, make me more calm and centered, ready to deal.

Of course, having 5 9-yo guests running around the yard kept me grounded as well. The nice thing about a small group of 9 year olds is it's like a large playdate . . . you have some activities, but really they decide for themselves what they want to do. They're less interested in being entertained. It's also reassuring to know that even 9 year olds still enjoy playing pin the tail on the donkey.

2009-06-08 6:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Glendale, California

Just polished off some chocolate cake with chocolate icing. No workouts today. My original plan was to swim this morning which morphed into a swim after work plan . . . which morphed into eating chocolate cake. I'm trying to remind myself that one day missed training isn't doomsday. I still have 5 days before my sprint on Sunday. It's just been over a week since I've been swimming and I wanted to try my wetsuit out in the pool at least once before jumping into Harriman Lake.

Tomorrow morning it is . so if you see the woman in the blue seventy reaction, working a 1600 yd workout in the middle lane at 5:30am, that's me.

I hope you all are doing well in between your lives and events, Margot

2009-06-08 7:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland Area
Whats next for me is another tri in two weeks.  In the meantime i'll be working to straighten out my swim, literally, and get some brick work in before june 21.  Hopefully it will be a nice fathers day for me.
2009-06-08 7:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland Area
any suggestions on traing and dealing with heal blisters?

will post race report soon.
2009-06-08 7:37 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Long Post (sorry)
My race went pretty good....
My expectations were low-basically just didn't want to aggravate my calf injury. Thankfully I did NOT!
Don't know my times yet as results haven't been posted. Weather was crappy. 53 and raining at start. The swim was the warmest i was all day; downcurrent in the Snake river so my split will look impressive, but it really isn't. Actually, swim wasn't too bad. Got a bit of a warm up in. Still have some 'anxiety' issues that cause me to backstroke for a minute or two, but I can feel it lessening.
Bike was solid, however windy and rainy. Chip sealed roads were horrible, but wind and bad roads are typical Idaho so I'm not complaining. Ride was going good til about 46 minutes, then my concentration started waining, that, coupled with three (3) people having mechanical issues that i just couldn't bear to ride by without assisting. Memo to others.....DON'T RACE WITHOUT TIRE REPAIR ESSENTIALS. I offered to help a guy who didn't have a tube, or air, or the know how to use them if he did. Sadly, I told him I couldn't do much for him as my tube wouldn't fit his high profile rims. Second girl was standing along road looking at bike with a dejected look on her face. "What's wrong?" I asked. "Making a funny noise....OMG! My water bottle has fallen off." I offer to go get it. Third was a older gal (relatively speaking, of course) who was having trouble getting her tire back into the dropouts. By the time i turned around, she had it under control. By now the wind was howling and I was trying to work my calf loose so loosing a little time was no biggie. But it had stopped raining. Run went pretty well, my calf hurt, but i could tell it wasn't getting worse. I had to tell myself to go easy, i felt pretty 'racey', but i couldn't risk another set back. Rain started right as I finished. Stuffed my face with choco milk and table goodies and jumped into the car for the 3 hour ride home. Next time someone tells me to HTFU...I'll say "Hey, I did Vikingman 2009. I AM HARD". RR when i get results.

2009-06-08 7:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland Area
sweet, nice of you to be so helpful.  I didn't get a chance to get my bike back up kit, so nice to see there are people out there like you.  Like yoou i had a three hour ride home, the last hour sucked big time since i left at 3am to get to the race.  tired is an understatement!
2009-06-08 8:10 PM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
Congrats on your races Adam and Jeff (Jeff, all those stops were super nice)!

I had a great race on Sunday and am really pleased with my results.  I wound up 11th in my age group (out of 30 I think).  Total time 1:26:40.  My swim and bike times were spot on what I have been doing during training (1:46/100 in the swim and 18.3 mph on the bike).  My run was slightly slower than what I have been doing during training--it took me almost 1/2 of the 5K to get my pace up--but I am really happy any way.  Like Adam, I had a lot of trouble going straight in the swim.  Started intentionally on the outside of the pack but then when the field thinned out a bit, I was still way outside and every time I tried to correct it wasn't too long before I was way outside.

This was a sprint distance.  It made me realize that I have a lot of work to do before my Olympic distance event in 2 months!

I will post the race report, hopefully tonight.
2009-06-08 8:27 PM

User image

Veteran
WOW! Busy weekend for everyone!!!! Many posts, many races! Way to go! Lots of lessons learned it sounds like!

I had a fantastic weekend! I posted my thoughts on the Mooseman in my training log if you care to check it out....HUGE improvement over last year.

Ironman Lake Placid is 7 weeks from yesterday. Uffda.

We start triathlon practice tomorrow night at Crystal Lake. 1.2 mile swim, 18 mile bike, 3 mile run....you can do any or all of it. Tomorrow my plan is 1.2 mile swim and 18 mile bike (VERY EASY - recovery ride).

My legs are tired....

T
2009-06-08 8:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland Area
2009-06-08 9:41 PM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY

2009-06-09 9:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland Area
Ok, so it's been a couple of days and i've had a chance to analyze my performance and I'd say it wasn't as bad as I initally thought.  I definately was a learning experience and I have much room for growth.  Here's my plan going forward:

swim:  concentrate on technique= swiming straight and sighting.  don't worry about projecting a time, get skills down first.  'A' race isn't until august!

bike:  good job in first tri but 'raced' like it was a training ride.  push tempo in training rides, build more endurance, and 'race' on raceday!

run:  get blisters healed first!  Work in more runs at 2 miles or more, add in speed, and brick worouts, gotta get runing legs going sooner.

Still shooting to break 1:35, I don't think it is out of the relm of possiblity, just need to work on what i learned on sunday.

Finally, I'm tinking of putting off the olympic distance until next year, depending on if i get all the kinks worked out of my swim.  The distance isn't a problem in the pool, open water, well we'll see.  Plus, the final race of the season for me, my planned olympic race, is at deer creek, the same site as my first tri this past weekend.  A big part of me wants to crush this demond that has appeared from the start.  Crush it and go confidently into the off season to get ready for next year.

Any thoughts, all input is requested.
2009-06-10 1:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Hi Adam!  My thoughts are that you and I must have had the exact same first race.  You and I are working on the exact same things!

Unfortunately though, I haven't had much of a chance to work on those things yet, and my next race is 6/20.  Work for the past 2 - 3 weeks has been crazy busy and I've not had the chance to really push it on the bike as much as I would like, and I've only done one or two bricks since my last race.  I did get one in today though and averaged 17.6 mph for 12.5 miles of rolling hills followed by a 1.6 mile run at 9 min/mile average (which isn't awful for me, but not good either).  I'll hope to get another brick in this weekend and then a few hard rides in early next week before I start to take it easy before my race.
Matt
2009-06-10 3:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Matt & Adam - do you guys train / race with heart rate monitors?
2009-06-10 4:43 PM
in reply to: #2208437

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
Tamio - 2009-06-10 3:21 PM Matt & Adam - do you guys train / race with heart rate monitors?

No I don't.  I have one that reads to my bike computer, but I could never get used to the chest strap.  I only use my garmin 205 as a bike computer now.  Would training in certain HR zones make a difference?  I don't know anything about it really...got any scoop?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tamio's Group - CLOSED - FULL Rss Feed  

of 16