BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Bill's House of Pain-No Vacancy Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2009-05-04 12:13 PM
in reply to: #2128173

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Bill's House of Pain-No Vacancy
I just wanted to let you all know that I hate stretching. I stretched for 8 min after my run today and it hurt more than the 55 mins of running(well run/walking).

It was Painful!

Edited by dixrp 2009-05-04 12:15 PM

2009-05-04 6:37 PM
in reply to: #2128666

User image

Great Lakes Illinois
I got punked out today on Chest and Back P90X and it was great!!

Tomorrow is Plyometrics and that looks even more brutal then the Chest/Back routine, can't wait!!
2009-05-04 6:54 PM
in reply to: #2128666

User image

Elite
Texas
dixrp - 2009-05-04 12:13 PM I just wanted to let you all know that I hate stretching. I stretched for 8 min after my run today and it hurt more than the 55 mins of running(well run/walking). It was Painful!

Sore muscles feel good...

2009-05-04 6:56 PM
in reply to: #2079373

User image

Elite
Texas
Sorry I've not been around today. Work has been crazy. My co-worker is out sick so I'm doubled up on procedures today. I have the day off tomorrow so I'll be around with the tip of the day and whatnot Tues.

Have a great week everyone!
2009-05-04 7:48 PM

User image

Master
Hamilton, Victoria

Hey folks. Felt like bragging a little today. I went on a ride with a couple of the boys yesterday and we hit a rather infamous little ride here that takes in some serious climbing. Not everyone in my regular bunch has even attempted this ride and certainly not everyone has completed on their first attempt. It is a ride of approx 38km (approx 24 miles) and takes in over 3,000 metres (10,000 feet) of climbing! One section is 6-7kms (approx 4 miles) of 8.4% average gradient. Man my legs are shot! In a couple of places, where it really kicks up, I was ready to surrender but I had a friend who rode beside me and talked me out of those evil negative thoughts. I managed to get to the end (in one hit, without stopping) and man what a rush. The view was amazing and decent was even better. I actually 'Woo-Hooed' on the decent like a kid on a roller-coaster ride. Hitting speeds of close to 75km/h (46mph) was an adrenelin rush.

After the ride my legs were screaming and I ended up in our pool at home (which is quite cold this time of year) just stretching and recovering. I am still sore today.

The word has spread in my group that I managed to conquer this beast in my first attempt so I was receiving text messages of support all day yesterday. It made me feel absolutely fantastic.

My legs are still fried today, and I couldn't do my run this morning (walk / run combo instead)

A guy my size is certainly not designed to take on climbs like that ride - I will enjoy bragging rights in our bunch for quite a while yet!!

2009-05-04 9:48 PM
in reply to: #2129989

User image

Great Lakes Illinois
That rocks bro!! Get some rest so your legs are ready for more.

2009-05-05 6:06 AM

User image

Master
Hamilton, Victoria

Well it looks like the new diet is working out well. I went for a swim tonight and managed to knock out 2000 metres non-stop. I haven't been able to do that ever! I felt realy good at the end as well - some mild cramping in the feet but felt really good.

I had energy to burn. I hope the scales reflect my good feeling as well....

2009-05-05 11:58 AM
in reply to: #2130472

User image

Elite
Texas
Iron_Gus - 2009-05-05 6:06 AM

Well it looks like the new diet is working out well. I went for a swim tonight and managed to knock out 2000 metres non-stop. I haven't been able to do that ever! I felt realy good at the end as well - some mild cramping in the feet but felt really good.

I had energy to burn. I hope the scales reflect my good feeling as well....

Strong work Gus!

As for the scales, remember to use it only for trends over time regarding weight loss. My feeling is in the short term, the only good use for a scale is to assess body water losses during training with weights before and after long training sessions.

The weight will come down with consistent training and nutrition management. Just remember to fuel your engine. As you lose weight the number of calories you need will come down if your workload stays the same. If you add volume, or intensity, or both... you'll need to eat the same or more to keep up.

You're doing great Gus. Short term focus on training goals is perfect. Look at what you need to accomplish each day on your plan. But for results both in weight loss and fitness, look long term.
2009-05-05 1:24 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-05-05 1:41 PM
in reply to: #2129989

New user
Gautier, MS
Iron_Gus - 2009-05-04 7:48 PM

Hey folks. Felt like bragging a little today. I went on a ride with a couple of the boys yesterday and we hit a rather infamous little ride here that takes in some serious climbing. Not everyone in my regular bunch has even attempted this ride and certainly not everyone has completed on their first attempt. It is a ride of approx 38km (approx 24 miles) and takes in over 3,000 metres (10,000 feet) of climbing! One section is 6-7kms (approx 4 miles) of 8.4% average gradient. Man my legs are shot! In a couple of places, where it really kicks up, I was ready to surrender but I had a friend who rode beside me and talked me out of those evil negative thoughts. I managed to get to the end (in one hit, without stopping) and man what a rush. The view was amazing and decent was even better. I actually 'Woo-Hooed' on the decent like a kid on a roller-coaster ride. Hitting speeds of close to 75km/h (46mph) was an adrenelin rush.

After the ride my legs were screaming and I ended up in our pool at home (which is quite cold this time of year) just stretching and recovering. I am still sore today.

The word has spread in my group that I managed to conquer this beast in my first attempt so I was receiving text messages of support all day yesterday. It made me feel absolutely fantastic.

My legs are still fried today, and I couldn't do my run this morning (walk / run combo instead)

A guy my size is certainly not designed to take on climbs like that ride - I will enjoy bragging rights in our bunch for quite a while yet!!

That is awesome.  I do not have hills anywhere near that around here, so it would kick my butt.  Congrats on pushing through the pain!
2009-05-05 5:23 PM

Elite
Texas
I've been mulling over the Tip of the Day and I've decided to change things up by posting instead, the question of the day. With generic tips, even hitting "center mass" of the group may leave some people out in terms of benefit. It's possible it may not apply just yet, or some member of the group are already beyond the point of needing a particular point made. So what I want to do is pose a question instead, and then see where everyone falls in with their answer. My expectation is that my question will lead to further questions from you, and I think that facilitates learning more effectively than just reading a generic blurb on a give topic. So for starters, relative to PLANNING, here it is:

QUESTION OF THE DAY:

What do you do when you miss workouts?

My answer: It depends on the workout. If it's just one session during the week, I generally just skip it and move on. If I know in advance that I've going to miss a KEY workout, like my long bike ride of the week, I'll reschedule it for a day I can get it done. For example, I have to work this weekend so my long Sunday bike will have to move. I plan to do it Thursday instead. So Thursday's ride original shorter ride will get scratched. Wednesday's training shouldn't have any impact on my long bike at this point so I don't have to change anything there. My Saturday run can go as planned because I can do that before work. I can swim on my lunch break so no problem there. If I have time Sunday I may still bike, but I might make it a recovery effort ride since I shuffled things up a little and didn't have as much rest during the week as I normally would with that long Thursday session. It's not cool to just mix and match within your plan as you have to account for recovery as well. But moving a key workout in order to get it done is possible. Consult with your coach (if you have one) on how they want you to do things. That's what I do as a self-coached guy.

I'll post more later about what to do if you miss multiple sessions, or if you get sick or hurt and miss more than a couple of days. Gotta go get my kids...

2009-05-05 7:33 PM

Master
Hamilton, Victoria

Hey guys, just thought I'd let you know that following my killer ride Monday and my PB swim last night I managed to smash out a great ride with the bunch this morning. I am feeling really good with the new diet and I honestly need to remember to eat enough! Now I am speaking like an athlete in training - who'd have thought.

The good news is that on top of my new found vigour I have managed to drop another 3lbs this week. I am very happy with that result however the way I felt during the swim last night I would not have cared really about the scales. The energy I had was all I needed to know that I am on the right path.

Thanks for all the tips, notes and inspires. I feel like a new man!

2009-05-05 7:45 PM
in reply to: #2132489

Great Lakes Illinois

If I am able to, I take my off day and use it to make-up the workout I will be missing. If not, I try to find another day in the schedule where I can fit it in if possible. Sometimes, depending on the type of workout, I will do it inplace of another. Say I have running intervals on Thursday, and then Saturday I have a base run. If I am going to miss Thursdays run, and I feel I could benifit more from the interval training then the base running, I will just replace that way so it wont impact my life. I have been spending a lot of time doing PT and I am feeling great,  but that doesn't leave me  with a bunch of time to play around with if I want to spend time with my family.

2009-05-05 7:48 PM
in reply to: #2132721

Great Lakes Illinois
Iron_Gus - 2009-05-05 7:33 PM

Hey guys, just thought I'd let you know that following my killer ride Monday and my PB swim last night I managed to smash out a great ride with the bunch this morning. I am feeling really good with the new diet and I honestly need to remember to eat enough! Now I am speaking like an athlete in training - who'd have thought.

The good news is that on top of my new found vigour I have managed to drop another 3lbs this week. I am very happy with that result however the way I felt during the swim last night I would not have cared really about the scales. The energy I had was all I needed to know that I am on the right path.

Glad to hear you found out what was wrong and were able to right it quickly so you could get back on track. When it comes to weightloss, diet and exercise are paramount.
2009-05-05 8:13 PM

Elite
Texas

That's the way Gus!
2009-05-05 11:12 PM

Master
Hamilton, Victoria

I can't remember whether I mentioned in this thread earlier but I damaged my rear wheel on my bike a couple weeks ago. Well I got a call from my LBS and MAVIC have replace my wheel with a brand new one, best of all, under warranty - so Free Of Charge!

Can this week get any better!?!

2009-05-06 7:11 AM

New user
Gautier, MS
Bill - 2009-05-05 5:23 PM I've been mulling over the Tip of the Day and I've decided to change things up by posting instead, the question of the day. With generic tips, even hitting "center mass" of the group may leave some people out in terms of benefit. It's possible it may not apply just yet, or some member of the group are already beyond the point of needing a particular point made. So what I want to do is pose a question instead, and then see where everyone falls in with their answer. My expectation is that my question will lead to further questions from you, and I think that facilitates learning more effectively than just reading a generic blurb on a give topic. So for starters, relative to PLANNING, here it is:

QUESTION OF THE DAY:

My answer: It depends on the workout. If it's just one session during the week, I generally just skip it and move on. If I know in advance that I've going to miss a KEY workout, like my long bike ride of the week, I'll reschedule it for a day I can get it done. For example, I have to work this weekend so my long Sunday bike will have to move. I plan to do it Thursday instead. So Thursday's ride original shorter ride will get scratched. Wednesday's training shouldn't have any impact on my long bike at this point so I don't have to change anything there. My Saturday run can go as planned because I can do that before work. I can swim on my lunch break so no problem there. If I have time Sunday I may still bike, but I might make it a recovery effort ride since I shuffled things up a little and didn't have as much rest during the week as I normally would with that long Thursday session. It's not cool to just mix and match within your plan as you have to account for recovery as well. But moving a key workout in order to get it done is possible. Consult with your coach (if you have one) on how they want you to do things. That's what I do as a self-coached guy.

I'll post more later about what to do if you miss multiple sessions, or if you get sick or hurt and miss more than a couple of days. Gotta go get my kids...

I do the same thing Bill.  If it is just a one day workout that I have to miss unexpectedly because of work or whatever, then I let it go.  If I know that I will have to skip a day then I will shuffle things around as best as possible to suit my schedule.  I have found that a random missed workout doesn't hurt my performance the next day or rest of that week, and the rest it typically welcomed by my body.  Now missing a week or so is different.....
2009-05-06 7:12 AM

New user
Gautier, MS

Great news Gus.  It sounds like adding in the calories has helped quite a bit.  Keep up the good work man!
2009-05-06 9:45 AM

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Bill - 2009-05-05 5:23 PM

QUESTION OF THE DAY:

I'm answering the question of the day a day late -- seems to be the way things have been going around here lately!  Even though I nearly always have a training plan going, I usually use it more as a suggestion than as an absolute.  It just seems that the plan never fits with my schedule.  But I agree with Bill that the key workouts are important, so I try to get those in.  What I typically do is look at a week at a time, then try to see how the workouts fit in with real life.  Then I prioritize -- see what my focus should be for the week, what the volume is, then figure out when I can do certain workouts.  And if some need to be dropped, I typically don't worry about it!  I figure over the long haul, missing a workout is a drop in the bucket. 

And next week I plan to miss lots of workouts!

2009-05-06 12:49 PM

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada

br />
QUESTION OF THE DAY:

Since I am on no set plan I don't really worry too much about it, but I do find that sometimes unexpected breaks let you build up a little extra energy in the tank and give that much more on your next time out.
2009-05-06 1:00 PM
in reply to: #2133658

Elite
Texas
Sledge - 2009-05-06 9:45 AM

QUESTION OF THE DAY:

I'm answering the question of the day a day late -- seems to be the way things have been going around here lately!  Even though I nearly always have a training plan going, I usually use it more as a suggestion than as an absolute.  It just seems that the plan never fits with my schedule.  But I agree with Bill that the key workouts are important, so I try to get those in.  What I typically do is look at a week at a time, then try to see how the workouts fit in with real life.  Then I prioritize -- see what my focus should be for the week, what the volume is, then figure out when I can do certain workouts.  And if some need to be dropped, I typically don't worry about it!  I figure over the long haul, missing a workout is a drop in the bucket. 

And next week I plan to miss lots of workouts!

I hope you don't have a lot planned for next week! Other than some R&R.

2009-05-06 11:24 PM

Extreme Veteran
What do you do when you miss a workout:

Well I'm not on an exact training plan. i kind of make it up as I go. But if I plan to do a bike ride in the evening and I don't get to it then I'll try to fit it in the next mornnig then hit the evening workout as well. I think getting a training plan may be a good Idea especially if I go through with this whole half ironman in October. I'm having a hard time with this whole taper/recovery week thing but I feel like I need to keep pushing myself.
2009-05-07 1:25 AM

Regular
Jacksonville
Sorry I'm late too...last week in Germany and it's getting hectic.

I also don't have much in the way of a plan going on right now, so I don't really worry about it. Plus, until next week all I can/have been able to do is run, so I'm really looking forward to starting next week and adding in the bike and swim part.

I will probably use a basic BT plan as a guide, most likely with a bike or swim focus to start, since I'm behind the curve on that and think I already have a decent run base down. As the season progresses and I learn more about myself and training I will probably go neurotic about a training schedule - I'm the type of person who would have a hard time skipping a workout if I had one scheduled. I do agree, Bill, that certain workouts in a week carry more weight, so my intent would be to look ahead at the week as best I can and shuffle things around if I know something has to be dropped.

2009-05-07 7:58 AM

Veteran
Sarasota FL
SUBJECT CHANGE:
Question for those who know:
How much hydration(if any), and when, during a sprint tri (440y, 13.1m, 3.1m)?

Thanks,
steve

2009-05-07 8:19 AM
in reply to: #2135895

New user
Gautier, MS
EvenOlder - 2009-05-07 7:58 AM SUBJECT CHANGE:
Question for those who know:
How much hydration(if any), and when, during a sprint tri (440y, 13.1m, 3.1m)?

Thanks,
steve

I'm sure the more experienced folks might have more information, but I would just need a bottle on the bike to sip on for a race of that distance.  I would drink the majority of my fluids during the first half of the bike and then a little close to the end before the run.  I wouldn't drink anything during the 3.1 mile run.  Maybe I have it all wrong, but that is my plan for my 5/30 sprint. 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Bill's House of Pain-No Vacancy Rss Feed  

of 26